SEGA's Yakuza series thread. Is Haruka gonna have to Komaki Parry a street punk?

TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
Ryu ga Gotoku: Of the end (or as I like to call it- Yakuza: Apocalypse, feel free to use it SEGA!) TGS 2010 Trailer, featuring Dancing Majima Goro!
"You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
"Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
"I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne

Comments

• daydaydayday BalletOfDestruction Joined: Posts: 2,191
    You didn't have to do all the substories, but you do get exp to help level up. Also some of the substories kind of act as a tour guide, so you know you way around tyhe zone.

I think Yakuza 3 sold better than 2, so it would make sense to bring it out over here as long as they can make money on it.
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha MSHMTX Joined: Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    these games are so wack when compared to the GTA series. Im surprised Japanese developers havent been able to make an equivalent answer to GTA.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Comparing this game to GTA is pretty stupid since it doesn't have a lot of resemblance to it. The Yakuza series are more or less successors to the Shenmue series, or a sister series if you will.
    I see Yakuza as a beat'em-up with RPG elements. ...and it does it well to an extent.

@dayday- Oh I know I don't need to do them but the EXP and Yen they offer really help. Speaking of which, this game has the best Hard mode I've played in a video game yet; most games' Hard mode just has you take a lot of damage while enemies take longer to be killed. In Yakuza 3 (at least), you are given enough stuff to make battles less harder. Granted enemies have longer life but they can still be defeated so long as you know when to attack. Speaking of which, that's prob. my main gripe with Y3's Hard mode; bosses take a long time to beat due to their high defense/HP, though as look back at it, it's a minor gripe, since some boss battles can be finished within 5 mins.

EDIT: just wanted to shed manly tears for
    RIKIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    ;.; WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE SEGA, WHY?!?!?! HE PROMISED HIS CHILDHOOD FRIEND DAMNIT!
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • SonicabidSonicabid This is Jon he Does It Joined: Posts: 11,726
    Comparing this game to GTA is pretty stupid since it doesn't have a lot of resemblance to it. The Yakuza series are more or less successors to the Shenmue series, or a sister series if you will.
    I see Yakuza as a beat'em-up with RPG elements. ...and it does it well to an extent.

Yep, Yakuza 3 is nothing like GTA. The only thing they have in common is that you're in a sandbox, though in Yakuza 3 there's a lot more things you can do because the game has a lot more substance, whereas in GTA all you end up doing after finishing the main story is..driving around.
    Davidstar wrote: »
    Five guys is the worst burger joint ever

i can see why everybody talks shit about you in the discord i started.
    Also Yakuza series can let you learn about Japanese culture, even if it's a little.
    Though I dunno if meeting hookers in a McDonald's and Baskin Robins is remotely possible if you go to Japan >_>;
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    these games are so wack when compared to the GTA series. Im surprised Japanese developers havent been able to make an equivalent answer to GTA.

I'm sorry Yakuza has way more substance and depth than GTA series. I completely stopped playing that series after San Andreas. I just grew out of it and once I played the first Yakuza game, i've never looked back. I think a majority of people in the US are missing out on a real good game that is better than what GTA has offered recently.
  • HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464
    Relevant video:
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
    BTW, The lack of some substories in Yakuza 3's Eng. ver. is no big deal, in fact some fan reaction is just stupid over-exaggeration.
    You wanna play Shogi and Mahjong? Go find a FREE online site to play them. Hell even if they were in the game I'd prob. won't bother to play them (I didn't bother with the gambling games overall through my recent playthrough...and I STILL don't know how to play fucking Koi Koi)
    I don't really care about the Hostess Club TBH, but the gals pretty much served their purpose what with getting EXP and Yen after you do their substories.

The Quiz game would've been nice, but I don't feel like I'm missing much with it's removal @_@

The Substories in the game are more than enough as it is in the Eng. version, what with some taking a while to complete. In fact most Substories involve you beating people up for a quick EXP and Yen gain along with the initial EXP and Yen reward from doing that substory.
  • Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768
    RIKIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    ;.; WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE SEGA, WHY?!?!?! HE PROMISED HIS CHILDHOOD FRIEND DAMNIT!
    The way Kiriyu reacted when Rikiya died caught me off guard. Every other death(especially Fuma), he was pretty calm. I guess he's just a different man now. I was also pretty pissed that Rikiya died.
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
  • Mr. BastosMr. Bastos Joined: Posts: 2,151
    I love the Yakuza series, and I would agree that it doesn't really resemble GTA like some people think it does. I've only beaten part 1 (2 came out while I was away), but am tempted to jump right in to Yakuza 3. I really want Yakuza 4 to be localized, and with the sales being better than 2 I think it's a good sign.
    "I have nothing to lose but my life, and I got that for free."
    -Setzer FFVI

"Why did God give me a brain and a penis, but not enough blood to use them both at the same time?" -Robin Williams
  • SaranghaSarangha Look within yourself Joined: Posts: 4,256

You have got 3 replies all stating the same thing. But damn I need to repeat it lol, Yakuza in general has no "theft of cars" I can tell you don't know what Yakuza is by this statement. If anything Yakuza is a JRPG with a Dynamite Cop fight system, very similar to Shenmue. IMHO GTA sucks and will never attract me....

Trust me, I've spent 100+ hours playing the game to accomplish this and I feel the removal of the sidequests,hostess bar,history x and Shogi do not harm it. Can't wait for Yakuza 4!
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8449745/#Comment_8449745

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”
    ― Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

“For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits
    near them, waiting.”
    ― Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Nostalgia=Drug

^How did u catch the Tuna? I haven't caught a single fish yet =_=
    BTW when I recently beat the game, I managed to do 50-60 substories; how would I access the remaining ones?
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 7,877
    yakuza gameplay and content > gta

gta4 game world physics and mechanics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yakuza
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Hmm maybe we should stop with the GTA and Yakuza comparisons guys, let's just talk about the series and ponder on Yakuza 4's release.
    I wanna get yakuza but I think im gonna start with 4, since 3 is and kinda feels like a 2 years old game, the demo was really fun though (better than the majority of games out there)

I remember a trailer for 4 making it look like theres some sort of multiplayer mode, does anyone know if yakuza 4 has a multiplayer mode or any plan of a download?
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha MSHMTX Joined: Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    oh i always thought the yakuza series was supposed to be the Japanese GTA.

Anyways the demo for Yakuza 3 was pretty terrible. I could see the japanese version being good but they dont do a good job of localizing the game to North America at all.

Anyways the demo for Yakuza 3 was pretty terrible. I could see the japanese version being good but they dont do a good job of localizing the game to North America at all.

the demo was terrible? but I thought the game mechanics was fun, is the full game a completely different game?

Ray Kurzweil
    Umm the localization of the game was pretty well done. At any rate you shouldn't judge a game by it's demo. Give the game a rent and play it. If you only do the main game without doing substories, it'd take you maybe 10 or so hours (maybe less). If you do some substories, it'd take 30+ hours to beat. @_@
    Umm the localization of the game was pretty well done. At any rate you shouldn't judge a game by it's demo. Give the game a rent and play it. If you only do the main game without doing substories, it'd take you maybe 10 or so hours (maybe less). If you do some substories, it'd take 30+ hours to beat. @_@

well I'll wait for a reduction on the price and pick it up, that way I wont have to wait as long as you guys for yakuza 4 :rofl:

Ray Kurzweil
    ...but then YOU would have to wait longer than us to play Y4 if you're waiting for a price drop on it @_@.

I just remembered something- The water purifier substory; in my initial game I got a 'Finished' on it, what should I do to get a Complete for it? Am I supposed to fight the business people for charging a large amount for it?
    BTW when I recently beat the game, I managed to do 50-60 substories; how would I access the remaining ones?

The Tuna seems to be the farthest fish on the sea graph, usually at the very end and it's the hardest one to get. The line can snap easily no joke. You can access the remaining side quests by creating a premium adventure file using your clear data. I finished 99 out of the 101 side quests on my first try so there wasn't much for me to do. In premium adventure you can sleep and change the time of day at ur hide out in Kamarucho, so side quests available at different times will be easy to get.

Also LOL @ people playing a demo of an RPG. It's very hard to let people play amazing parts of a story driven game without spoilers.
    You can watch the youtube vid I posted of my file and see how much you can do in the game.

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

Aha, thanks for the info. I'll make note of that when I go to finish the remaining sidequests.
    Aha, thanks for the info. I'll make note of that when I go to finish the remaining sidequests.

NP, I would have made a thread on Yakuza a while ago but do you see the ignorant posts people make on this game? I knew this would happen, it feels like a gamefaqs board. I can understand if people hate the game after playing a full retail version. Sadly they judge the game based on shitty demo or random internet articles claiming the localization sucked. I think the fanboys are to blame heavily because they bitched about no hostess clubs. Peeps need a girlfriend I'm serious, hell I don't have one but I could care less about shitty hostess bars.

Anyway Kazuma showed mad emotion with ____________ passing. One of the strongest video game moments imho.

Random peeps:
    BTW IMHO GTA sucks b*lls. And it's not an RPG so stop comparing.

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

Random peeps:
    BTW IMHO GTA sucks b*lls. And it's not an RPG so stop comparing.

as a single player game your right, which is what my involvement in the comparison pertained to.

Ray Kurzweil
    NP, I would have made a thread on Yakuza a while ago but do you see the ignorant posts people make on this game? I knew this would happen, it feels like a gamefaqs board. I can understand if people hate the game after playing a full retail version. Sadly they judge the game based on shitty demo or random internet articles claiming the localization sucked. I think the fanboys are to blame heavily because they bitched about no hostess clubs. Peeps need a girlfriend I'm serious, hell I don't have one but I could care less about shitty hostess bars.
    I wonder what to think of those pissed at the lack of Mahjong or Shogi. XP

Actually there are those who think the removal of some stuff is out of fear of exposure to Japanese culture...which is stupid considering that the ENTIRE Yakuza series is exposure to Japanese culture.
    ...and to top it off, not everybody gives a damn about Japanese culture; for all intents and purposes, they'd rather beat up random ass hats on the streets than spend half an hour playing Mahjong.
    Anyway Kazuma showed mad emotion with ____________ passing. One of the strongest video game moments imho.

I know man, I know. Kazuma is one of the most manliest characters I've seen in video games.
    At first I didn't care for Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! but this clip has me interested.

Skip to 7:16

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

• GrenGren Nash Out With Your Stash Out Joined: Posts: 1,849

Only tips I have are extremely basic. Move the analog stick right/left to correspond with the direction the fish is moving; and don't be afraid to let out some slack on the line. For the tuna it was pretty easy until I reeled it in to the 30m mark, then that shit started weaving nonstop & it was like 3 minutes of constant "line's about to snap" beeping :lol:

You don't need fancy bait to snag a tuna either. I caught one w/ a worm. You can rack up a good supply by getting one from the front yard, then entering/exiting Kazuma's room. It'll instantly respawn a new worm.
    One of the sidestories has you either catch a tuna or pay out like 300,000 yen. Best thing about catching a tuna then is you end up pocketing like 200,000 yen in profit, & earn a trophy at the same time.
    Fishing was fun, would love to see it return in future games with a larger variety to catch.
    I'll give that a try later on.
    BTW how do I start/do the Hit and Stop substory?
  • MDogMDog I hate vaga Joined: Posts: 228
    I'll give that a try later on.
    BTW how do I start/do the Hit and Stop substory?

It really is as simple as looking out for a black sedan at the intersection. When you see it, walk in front of it. That's how I did it, at least.

Love the Yakuza series. I'm currently trying to 100% Y3, although it's going to take me a while yet. Thank god you keep all your abilities and stuff when you do a Premium New Game, though, I don't think I could go back to not being able to use all the Komaki techniques. Komaki Parry/Tiger Drop got me through the Coliseum easily.
    TWS Dreamboat - Best Vega in Scotland (tm)
    It really is as simple as looking out for a black sedan at the intersection. When you see it, walk in front of it. That's how I did it, at least.

Love the Yakuza series. I'm currently trying to 100% Y3, although it's going to take me a while yet. Thank god you keep all your abilities and stuff when you do a Premium New Game, though, I don't think I could go back to not being able to use all the Komaki techniques. Komaki Parry/Tiger Drop got me through the Coliseum easily.

I actually did the hit stop mission the exact same way.
    It took me 100+ hours to get 100% and Platinum trophy. The mini-games are actually the majority of hours spent in the game for me. You can actually get 100% using premium adventure instead of new game but the choice is yours.

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

Are you still able to do all the substories, IF7, etc in Premium Adventure? I wasn't sure, which was why I went with New Game.
    Are you still able to do all the substories, IF7, etc in Premium Adventure? I wasn't sure, which was why I went with New Game.

Yeah you are.

Premium new game allows you to keep all your items,money and new moves. The story starts again from scratch and the side quests are reset.

Premium adventure allows you to roam in the Yakuza world without following a storyline. You use your clear data like premium new game. You keep all your items,money,new moves AND completed substories. So you only have to do the ones you missed! Whats cool is you can sleep in the hide out in Kamurocho to change the time of day. This is great for doing subquests that have a day restriction, and you can take all the characters out. This is good for subquests that require Rikiya or Date.
    The only thing to mention is that if you finished a side quest instead of completing it, the status will stay the same in your list. Rumour has it you don't need to have completed on every side quest to get the secret 101 mission. I got all completed so I don't know if this is true or not. IMO premium new game is only good for playing other difficulties, but premium adventure is great for getting 100%.

I kind of planned my first playthrough and got 100% on all completion lists before beating the game. All I had to do in premium adventure was 1 missing side quest, after I beat that I got the platinum. Is it just me or do you guys think the war god amulet (infinite heat) is broken? I think that's a crazy award for getting 100% on the heat completion list. IMHO you should get that for getting 100% on ALL of the completion lists. :confused:

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

Yeah you are.

Premium new game allows you to keep all your items,money and new moves. The story starts again from scratch and the side quests are reset.

Premium adventure allows you to roam in the Yakuza world without following a storyline. You use your clear data like premium new game. You keep all your items,money,new moves AND completed substories. So you only have to do the ones you missed! Whats cool is you can sleep in the hide out in Kamurocho to change the time of day. This is great for doing subquests that have a day restriction, and you can take all the characters out. This is good for subquests that require Rikiya or Date.
    The only thing to mention is that if you finished a side quest instead of completing it, the status will stay the same in your list. Rumour has it you don't need to have completed on every side quest to get the secret 101 mission. I got all completed so I don't know if this is true or not. IMO premium new game is only good for playing other difficulties, but premium adventure is great for getting 100%.

I kind of planned my first playthrough and got 100% on all completion lists before beating the game. All I had to do in premium adventure was 1 missing side quest, after I beat that I got the platinum. Is it just me or do you guys think the war god amulet (infinite heat) is broken? I think that's a crazy award for getting 100% on the heat completion list. IMHO you should get that for getting 100% on ALL of the completion lists. :confused:

like how do you keep track of all the heat moves you do? I was under the assumption that you just had to get all the heat moves period.
    Speaking of Heat moves, my fav. are the ones you can do in Okinawa by the river passage on the 2nd floor of the Market. Throwing people to the river or first floor is so hilarious and satisfying XD.
    Also I just did the Lvl. 3 OTG Heat finisher, the elbow drop is too good :cool:
  • TaygetaVendettaTaygetaVendetta HDR Joined: Posts: 562
    Yakuza 1 and 2 are my favorite games on the PS2. I was pumped for Yakuza 3's US release until I read about the cut content. I cancelled my pre-order and am waiting on it to hit $20 or so before I pick it up. Yakuza1 and 2 had the hostess clubs and all the weird bullshit, why not 3?
    "This is what happens whenever you graduate from watching shitty moe and fanservice animes, you turn into an investment banker. " -angelpalm
  • Mr.NoodleMr.Noodle Rage...Rising... Joined: Posts: 1,768
    Sega probably didn't want to spend the money to translate it.
    Im tellin y'all a story in a gangsta way/ Thats how I roll nigga, AYE BAY BAY!!!!/ DingDang McGee
    Sega probably didn't want to spend the money to translate it.

Then why'd they spend money to translate them in the first 2 games?
  • daydaydayday BalletOfDestruction Joined: Posts: 2,191
    Then why'd they spend money to translate them in the first 2 games?

They tried and they seen it wasn't worth the return to them, it would seem like.
    Yakuza 3 with the cut content sold more than 1 & 2 combined. Yakuza 1 probably cost the most with the English dub and sold the least.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175369

We were lucky to get Yakuza 3.

The hostess clubs was actually my least favorite part of 2, only because I like completing shit and didn't like trying to guess what them bitches wanted.:bgrin:

In Yakuza 3, even if the bitches don't like something they still give you some hearts. After 2 dates and a side mission you are at a love hotel completed. I don't know how long it took in Yakuza 2 because I didn't pursue them.

I'm on Chapter 6 20 hours in, I have done nearly every side quest up to this point. All Assassin missions that are available. I have done 3 revelations, I think I only have those 2 from Mack. The Old Lady on the scooter, the old Delivery man, & the drunk outside the bikini bar. One IF7, I tried it again and need to fight more people in the game to get more IF7 levels.

I will continue the story now.

Wasn't really digging the beginning with the kids and their problems.
    Actually the whole thing with the kids is to show Kazuma's parent relationship with them. It was OK when you first do it but on a replay...it kinda becomes less worth while ^_^;
    Heck Kazuma knowing how to raise kids is another testament to his manliness.
    Speaking of the chicks, is the one that was in the demo, Rena Sakurai (I think her name was), in the full game? I haven't seen her yet, and I'll need her if I'm going to 100% it.
    like how do you keep track of all the heat moves you do? I was under the assumption that you just had to get all the heat moves period.

Have you ever seen any of the completion lists? They are in the start menu of the game, go to heat and the game records every heat move you do for the 1st time. So to complete that list all you have to do is perform every heat move at least once, very easy imo.
    Yakuza 1 and 2 are my favorite games on the PS2. I was pumped for Yakuza 3's US release until I read about the cut content. I cancelled my pre-order and am waiting on it to hit $20 or so before I pick it up. Yakuza1 and 2 had the hostess clubs and all the weird bullshit, why not 3?

You should really read the first couple of posts in this thread. We cover why Yakuza 3 is a definite buy and is actually worth 60 bucks.

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

Speaking of the chicks, is the one that was in the demo, Rena Sakurai (I think her name was), in the full game? I haven't seen her yet, and I'll need her if I'm going to 100% it.
    I think I've went out with her note that
    in Kamurocho, you will meet the ladies in both the Galetaria Ice Cream shop and the Smile Burger joint
    Have you ever seen any of the completion lists? They are in the start menu of the game, go to heat and the game records every heat move you do for the 1st time. So to complete that list all you have to do is perform every heat move at least once, very easy imo.

You should really read the first couple of posts in this thread. We cover why Yakuza 3 is a definite buy and is actually worth 60 bucks.

Aight cool. Considering i'm at the final chapter right now and i still need to finish the last two underground tourneys, i'll probably get started on doing all the moves.
    Aight cool. Considering i'm at the final chapter right now and i still need to finish the last two underground tourneys, i'll probably get started on doing all the moves.

Yeah to my knowledge you can perform all of the heat moves in chapter 12. So I think you should be able to get it with minimal problems.

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

OK umm silly question-
    What item should I have to Complete the Sit, Rex, sit Substory ^_^; ?
    Yeah to my knowledge you can perform all of the heat moves in chapter 12. So I think you should be able to get it with minimal problems.

Quick question:
    I'm apparently missing some of the special sword moves in the HEAT list that may require me to read a book to get them. Where do you get the books from?
    ^You get them from books/DVDs you buy from the guy that mods your weapons and equipment.
    ^You get them from books/DVDs you buy from the guy that mods your weapons and equipment.

yeah just looked into it. I'm missing Three Ancient Techniques. I honestly don't know where to go for them.
    The weapon modders will sell "[Colour] Journal". After buying them, you'll learn the Ancient Techniques.
    The weapon modders will sell "[Colour] Journal". After buying them, you'll learn the Ancient Techniques.

yep found the guy. Does the completion list carry forward to the next game? I'm one level away from the final HEAT action and i know i'll get to that level once i start the hospital battle.