RJ-45 Multi Console Cthulhu Arcade Stick Tutorial Ver.2

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,932
    There also pre-made Dreamcast RJ45 cables on the market.
    Paradise Arcade and Focus Attack sells them.
    Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
  • CUTWESTCUTWEST IMM'A....BAAAAST! Ya' Mirin'? Joined: Posts: 1,739
    Yeah, But I already have the material and equipment to make my own. Plus its like a million times cheaper to make one than to buy a premade one LOL!
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors? Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
  • CUTWESTCUTWEST IMM'A....BAAAAST! Ya' Mirin'? Joined: Posts: 1,739
    edited March 2014
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors?
    That's why Im trying to get some information from people if an extension cable is doable so I DON'T have to ruin a perfectly good working controller.
    Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    Bro, I can make any RJ-45 cable in like, less than 30 seconds...minimum. A premade RJ-45 to DC connector from focusattack is 13 dollars PLUS shipping. The extension cable Im trying to acquire information on only cost 5 dollars SHIPPED. I'm sure you're smart enough to do the math and understand my method is the one that makes the most sense ROFL!

Anyway. I came here for information. Not to argue. If you cannot help me than by all means sir, have a nice day.

EDIT: rtdzign came thru and gave me all the answers I was looking for. I no longer need any help on this matter.
    Post edited by CUTWEST on
    CUTWEST wrote: »
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors?
    That's why Im trying to get some information from people if an extension cable is doable so I DON'T have to ruin a perfectly good working controller.
    Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    Bro, I can make any RJ-45 cable in like, less than 30 seconds...minimum. A premade RJ-45 to DC connector from focusattack is 13 dollars PLUS shipping. The extension cable Im trying to acquire information on only cost 5 dollars SHIPPED. I'm sure you're smart enough to do the math and understand my method is the one that makes the most sense ROFL!

Anyway. I came here for information. Not to argue. If you cannot help me than by all means sir, have a nice day.

EDIT: rtdzign came thru and gave me all the answers I was looking for. I no longer need any help on this matter.
    Dude you are the one arguing, I pointed you out to rtdzign's first post in this very thread dealing with DC cables. And when you didn't like that answer I provided you with other options.
    If rtdzign already posted about something 4 years ago in a stickied thread, its going to work.
    "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    Curiously checking to see if it's possible to make a db15 rj45 cable and if the the mc Cthulhu will support it. If so, what's the pin out?
    Curiously checking to see if it's possible to make a db15 rj45 cable and if the the mc Cthulhu will support it. If so, what's the pin out?
    Check out the first page
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Hi, hopefully somebody can help me out.
    I have made a few cables using the guides in this thread for various consoles with a MCC and everything works great, however I'm having real issues making a good cable for my white NTSC-J PC Engine.
    So far I've made 2 completely separate cable attempts using the given guide, but both times the inputs are mixed up in the exact same way. None of the buttons works but the stick inputs register but are completely wrong: Right is shoot, left is pause (R-Type) etc.
    Can anyone tell what the problem might be? I have followed the pin out exactly both times, double checked everything with a meter and all my other cables work fine but this has happened twice with the PC Engine now.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Having the same issue.. anyone get past this?
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,174
    For me PCE support has always been hit or miss. I chalk it up to there being about a dozen variants of the system and the way it behaves when you have a multitap plugged in.
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    I'll be picking one up and will let you know what's happening.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    rtdzign wrote: »
    For me PCE support has always been hit or miss. I chalk it up to there being about a dozen variants of the system and the way it behaves when you have a multitap plugged in.

Good to know. I got to remember this. Welcome back @rtdzign I have not seen you in AGES.

Behavior with the tap is the same :( I'll be getting a Turbo Everdrive later this week so I can test with some US games as some people have stated that only JP HU Card games exhibit this issue.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!

Behavior with the tap is the same :( I'll be getting a Turbo Everdrive later this week so I can test with some US games as some people have stated that only JP HU Card games exhibit this issue.

Just got My turbo Everdrive, Tested a bunch of JP games and they work perfectly, even R-Type. Looks like the issue is only with JP HuCards :D
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • BClarkOMPBClarkOMP Joined: Posts: 25
    Quick question for any who have successfully done this mod before. I just tried it myself over the weekend and am being met with bad/no results. Soldered a cat-5 cable to the Cthulhu with no mishaps, board isn't fried or anything since I can still get the stick to play just fine with I hook it up to anything through the standard, on-board USB jack. I don't have too much soldering experience, so this is the first thing I checked when finishing the mod.

After that I wanted to test out the ethernet jack itself, so I made two cables using the instructions here on the board: USB and PS2. I found the PS2 one somewhat difficult to make, so when I tried it on my PS2 and it didn't work I wasn't too surprised. I made the USB one next much more easily, but it still didn't work on my PC or PS3.

So I can see two pretty obvious points of failure:

1) My soldering of the CAT-5 cable to the PCB wasn't great, so I'm not getting continuity somewhere in there.
    2) I botched both of those cables that I made.

I don't have a lot of experience soldering or crimping cables, so either one is likely. However I feel like I'd like to rule out the soldering part first. I'm pretty new to electronics repair in general, but I definitely have the tools. So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!
  • devastatordevastator The Game Is The Game Joined: Posts: 1,416
    edited October 2014
    BClarkOMP wrote: »
    . So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!

I just picked up a multimeter myself and am also wondering what setting/mode i need to have it on to test continuity. for instance, when showing the picture with the ps2 controller and all the colors to match the numbers, what's going to show up on the multimeter that lets me know what wire goes where?
    [img][/img]KCLFUcb.jpg
    "I aint got time to bleed"
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,339
    edited October 2014
    devastator wrote: »
    BClarkOMP wrote: »
    . So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!

I just picked up a multimeter myself and am also wondering what setting/mode i need to have it on to test continuity. for instance, when showing the picture with the ps2 controller and all the colors to match the numbers, what's going to show up on the multimeter that lets me know what wire goes where?
    http://i.imgur.com/KCLFUcb.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-pin-out-a-console-cable-for-installation-on/step1/Getting-to-know-your-Multimeter-Probes/
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there a place that sells an RJ-45-ready McCthulhu (e.g., w/ an Ethernet port), with wire terminals (i.e., no soldering required to connect the wires)? Soldering and crimping is really out of my world... :|
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,319
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Is there a place that sells an RJ-45-ready McCthulhu (e.g., w/ an Ethernet port), with wire terminals (i.e., no soldering required to connect the wires)? Soldering and crimping is really out of my world... :|

No, but sometimes a soldered one pops up in the trading outlet.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • ShYtFaCeShYtFaCe Joined: Posts: 170
    edited February 2015
    Anyone ever tried making a universal cable with interchangeable connector heads? Seems like most people just make sets of individual RJ-45 cables for each of their consoles, but it'd be nice to have one detachable cable for the arcade stick, with hot-swappable plugs/connector heads for the console ends.

I really like the Xbox 360 breakaway cable implementation, would love something similar for MC sticks where the breakaway end could double as both a trip guard and a hot-swap system for PSX, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, Gamecube, etc. terminals.

I'm not sure how many physical pins the 360 breakaway cable supports, if only the 4 standard USB pins then I'm guessing 360 cables couldn't be hacked to work with older cables that use up to 7 pins like the PSX. But maybe there are breakaway mini-DIN 8 (or other) solutions that function similarly that could be used? Or are there any unnecessary pins on a PSX cable that can be left out to work with an OG Xbox/360 breakaway cable (OG Xbox supports up to 5 pins, 360 I believe 4 from looking at mine)? I think the Gamecube only has 3 necessary pins and the extras can be forgone to lose features like rumble, can something similar be done with PSX?

Obviously you could do this with something like a female to female RJ-45 adapter but that would be a really ugly and clumsy solution. It would probably only be worth doing with something more elegant like the OG Xbox/360 breakaway system.

I couldn't find anything via search, not sure if this has already been done/discussed before.

EDIT: I found an old Radioshack PS2 breakaway extension cable, obviously with these being in short supply and $20+ each you definitely wouldn't be hacking them, but surely we can find something similar that would work.

It'd actually be really nice if we could source a manufacturer that could produce both the terminal ends and the breakaway cables themselves so we could have something that looks professional and stock, using uniform colored shieldings and plug terminals. If we just bought the breakaway mouldings/connectors in bulk we'd have to use some type of heatshrink or sleeving, and all the plugs and wire shieldings would be in random colors. Be nice to shorten up the barrels to the breakaway plugs a bit too for something a little more compact, even the stock Xbox 360 breakaway units run a tad long at ~2.5" total, in my opinion.
    Post edited by ShYtFaCe on
    I used DE 9 connectors before on controller cables.
    I can see how a Mini Din 8 connector will work.

Realistically you never need more than 8 pins for controllers.
    PSX has a 9 pin connector but only 7 of those are used, NES and SNES has 7 pin connectors but only use 5 (unless your using the NES zapper)
    OG Xbox uses only 4 wires, the 5th is for video signal for lightguns, for a stick or pad you never need the 5th yellow wire.
    Game cube only uses 3 out of the 6 pins it support.

I never liked RJ45 connectors, not because of looks but because they are damn fragile.
    edited February 2015
    Just to clarify, I mean condensing the cabling solutions down to one single cable, instead of, for example in the image in the original post, having 8 individual cables for each console.

Neutrik/Switchcraft RJ-45 or DB-9 or mini-DIN 8 or whatever you use (from arcade stick case) >
    One cable that terminates into a male Xbox 360 breakaway end (or similar quick release plug) >
    Separate female Xbox 360 breakaway (or similar) leads that terminate into male PSX, DC, GC, OGXb, USB etc. (to console port)

So you'd just have a bunch of these
    hde-xbox-360-usb-breakaway-cable_4484_500.jpg
    with the USB end snipped off and a PS2, DC, GC, etc. connector wired in its place. But we can't use the Xbox breakaways themselves cause they only have 4-5 wires, so we need something similar in look/function that supports up to 8 wires.

mini-DIN 8 could definitely work, the only problem with over the counter female to male adapters for them is they aren't quite as graceful as the cylindrical breakway leads something like an Xbox cable uses. And I can't seem to find any similar breakaway solutions for mini-DIN 8 just via search engines.

8-Pin-Mini-DIN-Male-Female-Cable-43-145-006-1.jpg
    This is typically what you get with mini-DIN 8 female to male, which just doesn't mate up as seamlessly, although it would still work.

CLARION-MARINE-STEREO-REMOTE-EXTENSION-CABLE-8-PIN_57.jpg
    Something like these audio 8 pin connectors might work, no idea what they're actually called/for, not an audio guy. Maybe XLR/MIDI cables?

maplin-mini-din-8-pin-line-socket.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=hfKYOY1hOyM9$4ER@MtMtnsE41wj&V=ijjT
    Or something similar to these "8 pin line socket" audio connectors. If the barrels were shortened up to about half the length.

But I don't think any of those are designed to break away easily, which would be a cool feature.
    The Xbox breakaways were specifically made for Xbox and you aren't going to find them anywhere.

You aren't going to find any nice, small breakaway connectors like that for DIY use.
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, you can get aftermarket leads for the 360 in bulk from China, and for the OG Xbox (5 wire/pin) MadCatz actually used to make third party leads (fluorescent green, gross match) that Gamestop sold for like $1 ea. at one point. But those wouldn't help for PSX, just DC and GC which can utilize 5 wires or less.

Maybe someone on SRK has contacts that can mass produce 8 pin variations that would work though, that's definitely a community produced item I'd be interested in. Especially if they can get them pre-wired to PSX, DC, GC, etc. plugs in matching colors instead of whatever the stock system used for a clean look.

A lot of people here go through all the trouble of changing artwork, painting their cases, and hand picking certain color buttons/tops to create a scheme, and then have a heaping bundle of blue, green, black, purple, red, and grey cables.
    ShYtFaCe wrote: »
    Yeah, you can get aftermarket leads for the 360 in bulk from China, and for the OG Xbox (5 wire/pin) MadCatz actually used to make third party leads (fluorescent green, gross match) that Gamestop sold for like $1 ea. at one point. But those wouldn't help for PSX, just DC and GC which can utilize 5 wires or less.

Maybe someone on SRK has contacts that can mass produce 8 pin variations that would work though, that's definitely a community produced item I'd be interested in. Especially if they can get them pre-wired to PSX, DC, GC, etc. plugs in matching colors instead of whatever the stock system used for a clean look.
    only the tail ends, but not the matching connector, and differently not supporting 8 wires
    edited February 2015
    But the male end is available from any sacrificed Xbox cable, which could still be adapted to work with Gamecube, Dreamcast, and SNES (if using original Xbox cables instead of 360) at the very least with a few re-wired female tails, if someone were so inclined.

PSX is a major console to be left out of that quick-connect modular system, unfortunately.

Actually, I don't know that somebody could directly solder to the contacts of the plugs anyways without cracking open the plastic casings? So it might have to be done with spliced wires, which would not be a good idea at all, and pretty ugly looking. Maybe not even possible to do as a mod in that case.

Someone with a lot more modding experience would have to chime in on that.
    ShYtFaCe wrote: »
    But the male end is available from any sacrificed Xbox cable, which could still be adapted to work with Gamecube, Dreamcast, and SNES (if using original Xbox cables instead of 360) at the very least with a few re-wired female tails, if someone were so inclined.

PSX is a major console to be left out of that quick-connect modular system, unfortunately.

Actually, I don't know that somebody could directly solder to the contacts of the plugs anyways without cracking open the plastic casings? So it might have to be done with spliced wires, which would not be a good idea at all, and pretty ugly looking. Maybe not even possible to do as a mod in that case.
    I think the OG Xbox quick disconnect route is a dead end.

1. No easy and clean why to splice cables
    2. No new stock, rapidly diminishing quantities.
    3. Leaves out a few systems (example PlayStation)

If you going to mod from the case. I still not use the OG Xbox cables.

Its far, far easier to find/harvest the whole system cables you need and have them attached to the stick case

• BeapsBeaps Joined: Posts: 12
    Is there a pinout for Sega Genesis, I cant see one?
    Beaps wrote: »
    Is there a pinout for Sega Genesis, I cant see one?

No, the MC Cthulhu does not support the Genesis.
    edited December 2015
    Anyone help me out.....

I am trying to make a PS2 cable. I am using these settings

Brown - DATA - 1 - C
    Orange - CMD - 2 - B
    Black - GND - 4 - G
    Red - VCC - 5 - V
    Yellow - ATT - 6 - D
    Blue - CLK - 7 - A
    Green - ACK - 9 - F

I have check the pinouts about 10x with my multimetre and they are all checkout but I get no responce on the the PS1 or PS2 consoles

Any ideas, as I have DC, GC, USB all working fine?
    edited December 2015
    Never trust anyone else's wire colors, especially with PS1/PS2 cables.

Here is a Cut and paste of the PS1/PS2 pin assignments cable guide from page 1
    PSX Pin    Purpose    RJ45 Pin    Cthulhu Column
    4          Ground      1          G
    7          CLK          2          A
    2          CMD          3          B
    1          DATA        4          C
    6          ATT          5          D
                            6          E
    9          ACK          7          F
    5          VCC          8          V

Looks like you got your wires in the wrong order.
    edited December 2015
    What is going on at pin 6, does the one wire go to slots 5 & 6 on the rj45 or is 6 meant to be empty.
    Beaps wrote: »
    What is going on at pin 6, does the one wire go to slots 5 & 6 on the rj45 or is 6 meant to be empty.

You mean Pin 6 of the RJ45? Its not used.

edited December 2015
    OK I have rewired it to this

PSX Pin Purpose RJ45 Pin Cthulhu Column
    4 Ground 1 G
    7 CLK 2 A
    2 CMD 3 B
    1 DATA 4 C
    6 ATT 5 D
    9 ACK 7 F
    5 VCC 8 V

Still the same, tested each pinout with my multimeter, they are all in the correct order.....hummmmm?
    sorted ps2, just started over.

Nes aintt working for me, does the work on famicom or uk/usa nes only?
  • BeMahMahMaryBeMahMahMary Joined: Posts: 21
    Quick question. I have one of these generic TTX Tech NES Controllers in front of me, but I don't have a multimeter with me to tone out each of the wires. Does anyone happen to know which colors are which numbers so I can wire this to a RJ45 jack? I really don't want to have to go find a Lowes and buy one real quick when I've got one back home.

It's got Blue, Red, White, Yellow and Brown

33y2yib.jpg

nxnes-006.jpg

edited October 2016
    Quick question. I have one of these generic TTX Tech NES Controllers in front of me, but I don't have a multimeter with me to tone out each of the wires. Does anyone happen to know which colors are which numbers so I can wire this to a RJ45 jack? I really don't want to have to go find a Lowes and buy one real quick when I've got one back home.

It's got Blue, Red, White, Yellow and Brown

http://i64.tinypic.com/33y2yib.jpg

https://www.avcdistributor.com/sites/default/files/styles/zoom/public/nxnes-006.jpg

Rule One, Never, ever go just by the colors of the wires. Never ever go by someone else's guide. Its right there on the FAQ and guide on page one of this thread.
    Your controller wire colors does not even match the Nintendo wire coloring standards for NES and SNES at all.
    Even then I found times that Nintendo official controllers didn't follow the color guide. Example Famicom controllers often change up what color wires went where.
    This goes especially for 3rd party controllers and anything made for any of the PlayStations.

You will want a multimeter or some other continuity tester and a diagram of the pinout.
  • BeMahMahMaryBeMahMahMary Joined: Posts: 21
    Yeah was hoping someone might of opened one of these generics and had the color pinout already. I've opened up a few of them already and they all seem to be wired the same way to the board color wise. Just nothing labeled on the PCB. Was hoping to get lucky.

Just gotta wait till tomorrow to go home and pin it out as I'm not gonna buy another meter.

Major Bummer Dude

Skate Straight --Rodney
    Yeah was hoping someone might of opened one of these generics and had the color pinout already. I've opened up a few of them already and they all seem to be wired the same way to the board color wise. Just nothing labeled on the PCB. Was hoping to get lucky.

Just gotta wait till tomorrow to go home and pin it out as I'm not gonna buy another meter.

Major Bummer Dude

Skate Straight --Rodney
    Problem is these 3rd party generic controllers are not consistent in there color choices at all.
    Even if I did have the same controller I might not have the same 5 colors of wire or even have those colors in the same place.
    One batch of controllers could be the same, but the next batch they can easily change cable suppliers or arbitrarily change what color went where.

I even found USB cables before that use the "wrong" colors. I got a USB cable that used Brown, Blue, Yellow and Purple before.
  • Jubei KibagamiJubei Kibagami Too much naughty... Joined: Posts: 1,298
    Hey guys alright so i've been having random issues with making SNES and NES cables

Im using MC Cthulhu

for SNES I used a couple of cheap of cheap extension cables. I have 3 from these cables and i can verify that at least 2 of them have some kind of weird issue.

The directions seem all fine but some of the inputs are quick firing like turbo is on and some of the buttons are doubled up. just as an example both A and B are both registering as Y.

The NES has similar issues. The first 2 I made with a couple of crappy generic controllers and the last one with an extension cable.

Now i should say that i dont have an actual NES so im using USB adapter on PC and testing the inputs from the device manager.

The inputs are all screwed up. up is left, down is right ect.... and again it has a weird quick fire turbo thing going on. I've made dozens of cables for pretty much every system but this is the first time me making NES and SNES cables. Nothing else i've made thus far has had any issues like this. Is this a unique quirk with these consoles in particular? or maybe the cables im using just arent good for this sort of thing.
    Hey guys alright so i've been having random issues with making SNES and NES cables

Im using MC Cthulhu

for SNES I used a couple of cheap of cheap extension cables. I have 3 from these cables and i can verify that at least 2 of them have some kind of weird issue.

The directions seem all fine but some of the inputs are quick firing like turbo is on and some of the buttons are doubled up. just as an example both A and B are both registering as Y.

The NES has similar issues. The first 2 I made with a couple of crappy generic controllers and the last one with an extension cable.

Now i should say that i dont have an actual NES so im using USB adapter on PC and testing the inputs from the device manager.

The inputs are all screwed up. up is left, down is right ect.... and again it has a weird quick fire turbo thing going on. I've made dozens of cables for pretty much every system but this is the first time me making NES and SNES cables. Nothing else i've made thus far has had any issues like this. Is this a unique quirk with these consoles in particular? or maybe the cables im using just arent good for this sort of thing.
    Double check your wiring, don't trust other peoples color guides, especially on 3rd party cables.

It could be your adapter. Only good way to test out NES and SNES cables are on the actual consoles. Original hardware is preferred but clone hardware consoles works too.
    If you are going to use your MC Cthulhu on your PC, stick to USB.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Double check your wiring, don't trust other peoples color guides, especially on 3rd party cables.

It could be your adapter. Only good way to test out NES and SNES cables are on the actual consoles. Original hardware is preferred but clone hardware consoles works too.

lol man i KNEW you were gonna say exactly that. I should have prefaced my statement with "yes i always pin out every wire myself"

As for the USB adapter im only using that on the NES (I have an actual SNES), and yeah i thought the adapter was the problem too but, when my friend tried it on his NES he said it didnt work on there either. Also for some strange reason, i got a different result using both a PS360 board and MC Cthuhlhu board with usb to NES. Neither worked but PS360 didnt read at all, the MC Cthuhlu atleast gave me "incorrect" inputs"

So i take it there arent any weird quirks about making NES or SNES cables?

Like with the PS360+ and the Saturn/ jumper to home terminal fix
  • speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 782
    I couldn't make correct SNES/NES cables either, although I made several PS2/ Xbox/ Saturn/ USB/ etc with no problem.
    I wondered if there was some issue with version of console: US versus Europe vs Asia ... I had the same issue with PCE cables...

Did you try updating the MCC firmware ?
    Darksakul wrote: »

lol man i KNEW you were gonna say exactly that. I should have prefaced my statement with "yes i always pin out every wire myself"

As for the USB adapter im only using that on the NES (I have an actual SNES), and yeah i thought the adapter was the problem too but, when my friend tried it on his NES he said it didnt work on there either. Also for some strange reason, i got a different result using both a PS360 board and MC Cthuhlhu board with usb to NES. Neither worked but PS360 didnt read at all, the MC Cthuhlu atleast gave me "incorrect" inputs"

So i take it there arent any weird quirks about making NES or SNES cables?

Like with the PS360+ and the Saturn/ jumper to home terminal fix

NES/SNES controllers are about as straight forwards as it gets. The encoder chip is just a Shift register, which is pretty basic.
    I couldn't make correct SNES/NES cables either, although I made several PS2/ Xbox/ Saturn/ USB/ etc with no problem.
    I wondered if there was some issue with version of console: US versus Europe vs Asia ... I had the same issue with PCE cables...

Pal Region SNES consoles did have a region lock on the controller ports.
    There is a minor hack to fix this.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/using-import-joypads-on-the-pal-snes/

What you do is open up your SNES, find the controller board inside, and ether bypass these 4 diodes or remove them and replace them with wire.
    US game pads work on Japanese consoles and vise versa.
    edited November 2016
    yeah thats weird then. im not doing anything weird with it.

im just using a regular old SNES mini

EDIT

Alright so further testing and it looks like some weird shit is going on with it. i can only get 4 buttons to work. LK MK start and select.

the weird thing is when i press home, then i can use LP MP but they are also now LK MK.....but with turbo. so like double buttons in each row

none of the other buttons work no matter what i i do

when i press home again, they deactivate EXCEPT if i push them simultaneously, Then they together become a start button. What the hell is going on here. Does the MC Cthulhu have a built in toggle switch or something?

its strange because this problem ONLY occurs on SNES. My sticks are fine on EVERY other console.

anyway im thinking i'll sac a few more cables and see if that changes anything. if that doesnt work i'll just redo these. if that doesnt work then.....i dont know.
    Post edited by Jubei Kibagami on
    Alright i made a couple more cables and its looks like i got it.

gonna redo the other ones and see what the heck went wrong there.
    damn now i have new set of problems.

so i recently sold off one my mc modded arcade sticks and the sent it back saying it had problems. obviously that doesnt make a whole lot of sense since its my stick and i know for you it works. well now i have it in my hands and it rj45 does not work at all anymore.

i tried using usb and that works perfectly fine. all the buttons and directions are good. i redid the firmware and still nothing.

i even recrimped a new rj45 connector for the inside. still nothing. im gonna hit it with a multimeter but i get the feeling the connection is good.

now before i crank out the soldering iron and start to redo stuff, are there some quick things i can test or do to get this working. are there any known problems with this sort of thing?

Snip

Are you using a panel mount RJ plug on the case like a Neutrik?
    NENDO wrote: »

Snip

yes. im using a typical neutrik pass through adapter
    edited November 2016
    NENDO wrote: »

Snip

yes. im using a typical neutrik pass through adapter

Probe the cable coming from the board. Then probe the solder points on the back of the Neutrik with the inside cable plugged in. Count the beeps. Both should be the same. If not, you need a new Neutrik.
    its definitely not the neutrik. i plugged it up to another one and it was the same. hopefully its just the cable and a redoing it will solve it.