RJ-45 Multi Console Cthulhu Arcade Stick Tutorial Ver.2

Comments

• gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    I think this was asked before, but I was wondering if there was any update on N64 support.

There have been no updates and it is not supported.
  • speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 784
    I'm having some trouble making a SNES cable for my RJ45 jack. I'm away from home and don't have my multimeter with me. The wires for the cable I have are labeled as follows

GND
    VCC
    SL
    PL
    DA

I know the ground goes in pin 1 of my rj45 connector and the VCC goes in 8. Can anyone give me some quick help as to where to place the other wires? Thanks!
    Try DA=data (RJ45 pin#4)
    SL=System cLock ? Usually the pin is labelled SCL (RJ45 pin#2)
    PL= ??? (RJ45 pin#7)
    I don't think you will fry your MC Cthulhu if the VCC and GND are wired correctly and mix the other wires
  • ThEmperorIsDeadThEmperorIsDead Joined: Posts: 35
    Hi, hopefully somebody can help me out.
    I have made a few cables using the guides in this thread for various consoles with a MCC and everything works great, however I'm having real issues making a good cable for my white NTSC-J PC Engine.
    So far I've made 2 completely separate cable attempts using the given guide, but both times the inputs are mixed up in the exact same way. None of the buttons works but the stick inputs register but are completely wrong: Right is shoot, left is pause (R-Type) etc.
    Can anyone tell what the problem might be? I have followed the pin out exactly both times, double checked everything with a meter and all my other cables work fine but this has happened twice with the PC Engine now.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • AlbinoD90AlbinoD90 Joined: Posts: 127
    edited April 2013
    Toodles wrote: »
    The only time you want to remove some of the insulation is if the insulated wire is too thick to go into the little channel for crimping (which is not uncommon on thicker, quality USB cables for power and ground)

I know this is from forever ago, but I took a slightly different approach. I actually took a small paperclip and widened the channels in the RJ45 end. I was then able to crimp the thicker USB wires in the cable no problem. It takes a little time but you don't have to worry about bare wire. It was only necessary for the black and red wires.
  • MarceloAbansMarceloAbans The Fat Man Joined: Posts: 343
    I'm an idiot but I'm genuinely curious, why the use of RJ45 jacks? Is it easier to deal with different console cable configurations?
    ofcsd.com
    twitch.tv/ofcsd
    Where good things happen..
    I'm an idiot but I'm genuinely curious, why the use of RJ45 jacks? Is it easier to deal with different console cable configurations?

Because they are the most sexual.
  • RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 146
    Should I install a ferrite bead to the cables, like regular controllers do?
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified A man behind a desk Joined: Posts: 3,044
    RJ 45 crimping is easier to deal with and cheaper than any other 8 pin connector
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to finish a big project for someone else involving the MC Cthulhu and detachable cables but I'm having problems with the SNES one. I wired many times a SNES cable to a RJ45 plug to no avail. The multimeter confirmed the wiring as per Toodles's instructables or rtdesign's tutorial. I tried to wire directly the cable to the MC Cthulhu G-V columns and nothing. I checked, double checked, triple checked the wiring numbers, that no two adjacent wires were in contact, measured voltages.... nothing unusual (except that the console doesn't see anything). An official controller works fine with the console, so a bad controller port is out of the equation. I updated to the latest firmware... no change. Can someone having already built a SNES cable for the MC Cthulhu confirm the wiring numbers published ? Pllzzzz :(
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,878
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to finish a big project for someone else involving the MC Cthulhu and detachable cables but I'm having problems with the SNES one. I wired many times a SNES cable to a RJ45 plug to no avail. The multimeter confirmed the wiring as per Toodles's instructables or rtdesign's tutorial. I tried to wire directly the cable to the MC Cthulhu G-V columns and nothing. I checked, double checked, triple checked the wiring numbers, that no two adjacent wires were in contact, measured voltages.... nothing unusual (except that the console doesn't see anything). An official controller works fine with the console, so a bad controller port is out of the equation. I updated to the latest firmware... no change. Can someone having already built a SNES cable for the MC Cthulhu confirm the wiring numbers published ? Pllzzzz :(

Are you testing out each of the SNES cables pins to get what wire does what are are you using a color guide.

- BIG RULE OF WIRING UP SYSTEM CABLES-
    Never trust someone else's color guide. Always use a multimeter.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Are you testing out each of the SNES cables pins to get what wire does what are are you using a color guide.
    I'm figuring out the color scheme with the multimeter, of course. I wired quite a few PS2, Dreamcast, USB, Xbox1, Gamecube, even Saturn RJ45 cables but no SNES (or even NES as I just found out). I'll try with another brand new MC Cthulhu to see if this is something to do with that particular PCB that could have been damaged in some way during the tests (although this pcb works fine with USB and PS2). Thanks for checking the obvious with me anyway.

edited December 2013
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/4157647/#Comment_4157647

Go to Part 5, open the spoilers button and scroll down. The NES and SNES has the exact same setup
    NES
    NesCableEnd.jpg
    Purpose -Pin # - Cthulhu Column
    GND -1 - G
    CLK -2 - A
    LATCH -3 - F
    DATA -4 - C
    VCC -7 ? V

SNES
    SnesCableEnd.jpg
    SNES Pin - MC Cthulhu Column
    1 - G
    4 - C
    5 - F
    6 - A
    7 - V
    OK, here's my setup:

DSCN6639.JPG
    MC Cthulhu with RJ45 cord, RJ45 coupler and standard RJ45 cable for Gamecube.

DSCN6640.JPG
    A detail of my detachable Molex KK connector. I thought I'd be able to crimp pins from the console cable to some molex pins, but the cost for the pins alone doesn't justify this.

DSCN6641.JPG
    Close up of the RJ45 connector. As the name suggests, this item connects together 2 RJ45 plugs (pin1 to pin1, etc ...)

DSCN6644.JPG
    Inside the coupler

I made some "progress" since last time: this setup works fine of a PC with a USB cord (RJ45 ended) or PS2 cord (connected to PC via Etokki's XConverter). All buttons and directions work perfectly on the PC. I think this proves the cabling is right from end to end (mostly because PS2 uses 7 pins out of 8).
    When I use it on the Wii with Gamecube cords, there's something weird:
    - on the Wii, no button seem to be recognized with the MC Cthulhu with RJ45 coupler. However, when the same gamecube cable is used on my MC arcade stick (with an MC Cthulhu, same firmware revision), I can play fine on Tatsunoko and Guilty Gear !
    On the multimeter, I measured the resistance for each RJ45 wire: below 3 ohms

And the SNES/NES cables aren't working whether with the MC Cthulhu setup or the MC arcade stick (I rechecked many times the wiring/pinout)

I exchanged two PICs, one from the MC Cthulhu setup I have problems with, and one from a brand new board. Strictly no difference, works great on PC with USB or PS2 cord, fails on wii with the "failing" board, works great on the arcade stick. I checked to see if the resistor arrays were faulty (they were not), the caps on the MCC had the expected capacity/polarization, the 4 diodes were OK. All tests passed...

I checked the voltage when I "press START", ie grounding the START signal, it goes from 4,7 V to 0V, as expected.

I don't what else I could try...
  • Wade GarrettWade Garrett Joined: Posts: 149
    edited February 2014
    Before I go drilling a hole in my case, I want to know if there's a difference between using a 25 mm or a 24 mm. I couldn't find a 24 mm hole saw to save my life. I would imagine that the mounting plate would cover the gap difference right?
    I would imagine that the mounting plate would cover the gap difference right?

That should be ok, just be careful where you drill the screw holes.
  • Wade GarrettWade Garrett Joined: Posts: 149
    I tried it on some random old stick. I could make it work but it's very easy to mess it it up and I don't think I want to take the risk. I'll probably try a smaller bit
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,346
    I tried it on some random old stick. I could make it work but it's very easy to mess it it up and I don't think I want to take the risk. I'll probably try a smaller bit

You could always go smaller and hand sand or dremel the hole a bit bigger.
  • CUTWESTCUTWEST There is no rivalry. =( Joined: Posts: 1,770
    Sorry for the Necromance. But can anyone confirm if its possible to make a RJ-45 Dreamcast cable with a Dreamcast Controller extension cord?
    Yeah I know how to make the cable. I was just wondering will a Dreamcast extension cable work instead of me ruining one of my good working DC controllers is what im saying. Because I tried to make a RJ-45 USB cable with a USB extension cord one time and It didn't work. Which is why I wanna know if anyone has tried already before I buy.
    There also pre-made Dreamcast RJ45 cables on the market.
    Paradise Arcade and Focus Attack sells them.
    Yeah, But I already have the material and equipment to make my own. Plus its like a million times cheaper to make one than to buy a premade one LOL!
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors? Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    edited March 2014
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors?
    That's why Im trying to get some information from people if an extension cable is doable so I DON'T have to ruin a perfectly good working controller.
    Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    Bro, I can make any RJ-45 cable in like, less than 30 seconds...minimum. A premade RJ-45 to DC connector from focusattack is 13 dollars PLUS shipping. The extension cable Im trying to acquire information on only cost 5 dollars SHIPPED. I'm sure you're smart enough to do the math and understand my method is the one that makes the most sense ROFL!

Anyway. I came here for information. Not to argue. If you cannot help me than by all means sir, have a nice day.

EDIT: rtdzign came thru and gave me all the answers I was looking for. I no longer need any help on this matter.
    Post edited by CUTWEST on
    CUTWEST wrote: »
    Whats cheaper? Buying premade or ruining several existing Dreamcast cables to mod them with RJ45 connectors?
    That's why Im trying to get some information from people if an extension cable is doable so I DON'T have to ruin a perfectly good working controller.
    Factor in your time, fustration, used up RJ45 connectors, the RJ45 crimped and any other materials.
    Bro, I can make any RJ-45 cable in like, less than 30 seconds...minimum. A premade RJ-45 to DC connector from focusattack is 13 dollars PLUS shipping. The extension cable Im trying to acquire information on only cost 5 dollars SHIPPED. I'm sure you're smart enough to do the math and understand my method is the one that makes the most sense ROFL!

Anyway. I came here for information. Not to argue. If you cannot help me than by all means sir, have a nice day.

EDIT: rtdzign came thru and gave me all the answers I was looking for. I no longer need any help on this matter.
    Dude you are the one arguing, I pointed you out to rtdzign's first post in this very thread dealing with DC cables. And when you didn't like that answer I provided you with other options.
    If rtdzign already posted about something 4 years ago in a stickied thread, its going to work.
    "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    Curiously checking to see if it's possible to make a db15 rj45 cable and if the the mc Cthulhu will support it. If so, what's the pin out?
    Curiously checking to see if it's possible to make a db15 rj45 cable and if the the mc Cthulhu will support it. If so, what's the pin out?
    Check out the first page
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Hi, hopefully somebody can help me out.
    I have made a few cables using the guides in this thread for various consoles with a MCC and everything works great, however I'm having real issues making a good cable for my white NTSC-J PC Engine.
    So far I've made 2 completely separate cable attempts using the given guide, but both times the inputs are mixed up in the exact same way. None of the buttons works but the stick inputs register but are completely wrong: Right is shoot, left is pause (R-Type) etc.
    Can anyone tell what the problem might be? I have followed the pin out exactly both times, double checked everything with a meter and all my other cables work fine but this has happened twice with the PC Engine now.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Having the same issue.. anyone get past this?
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,176
    For me PCE support has always been hit or miss. I chalk it up to there being about a dozen variants of the system and the way it behaves when you have a multitap plugged in.
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    I'll be picking one up and will let you know what's happening.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    rtdzign wrote: »
    For me PCE support has always been hit or miss. I chalk it up to there being about a dozen variants of the system and the way it behaves when you have a multitap plugged in.

Good to know. I got to remember this. Welcome back @rtdzign I have not seen you in AGES.

Behavior with the tap is the same :( I'll be getting a Turbo Everdrive later this week so I can test with some US games as some people have stated that only JP HU Card games exhibit this issue.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!

Behavior with the tap is the same :( I'll be getting a Turbo Everdrive later this week so I can test with some US games as some people have stated that only JP HU Card games exhibit this issue.

Just got My turbo Everdrive, Tested a bunch of JP games and they work perfectly, even R-Type. Looks like the issue is only with JP HuCards :D
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • BClarkOMPBClarkOMP Joined: Posts: 25
    Quick question for any who have successfully done this mod before. I just tried it myself over the weekend and am being met with bad/no results. Soldered a cat-5 cable to the Cthulhu with no mishaps, board isn't fried or anything since I can still get the stick to play just fine with I hook it up to anything through the standard, on-board USB jack. I don't have too much soldering experience, so this is the first thing I checked when finishing the mod.

After that I wanted to test out the ethernet jack itself, so I made two cables using the instructions here on the board: USB and PS2. I found the PS2 one somewhat difficult to make, so when I tried it on my PS2 and it didn't work I wasn't too surprised. I made the USB one next much more easily, but it still didn't work on my PC or PS3.

So I can see two pretty obvious points of failure:

1) My soldering of the CAT-5 cable to the PCB wasn't great, so I'm not getting continuity somewhere in there.
    2) I botched both of those cables that I made.

I don't have a lot of experience soldering or crimping cables, so either one is likely. However I feel like I'd like to rule out the soldering part first. I'm pretty new to electronics repair in general, but I definitely have the tools. So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!
  • devastatordevastator The Game Is The Game Joined: Posts: 1,425
    edited October 2014
    BClarkOMP wrote: »
    . So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!

I just picked up a multimeter myself and am also wondering what setting/mode i need to have it on to test continuity. for instance, when showing the picture with the ps2 controller and all the colors to match the numbers, what's going to show up on the multimeter that lets me know what wire goes where?
    [img][/img]KCLFUcb.jpg
    "I aint got time to bleed"
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,346
    edited October 2014
    devastator wrote: »
    BClarkOMP wrote: »
    . So I'm going ask what is probably a really basic, dumb question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to check my soldering job and make sure I'm getting continuity? I definitely did my research before asking this here, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right things. If someone could even point me to some online tutorial for a similar application to what I've talked about here, that would be just fine.

Thanks!

I just picked up a multimeter myself and am also wondering what setting/mode i need to have it on to test continuity. for instance, when showing the picture with the ps2 controller and all the colors to match the numbers, what's going to show up on the multimeter that lets me know what wire goes where?
    http://i.imgur.com/KCLFUcb.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-pin-out-a-console-cable-for-installation-on/step1/Getting-to-know-your-Multimeter-Probes/
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there a place that sells an RJ-45-ready McCthulhu (e.g., w/ an Ethernet port), with wire terminals (i.e., no soldering required to connect the wires)? Soldering and crimping is really out of my world... :|
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,431
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Is there a place that sells an RJ-45-ready McCthulhu (e.g., w/ an Ethernet port), with wire terminals (i.e., no soldering required to connect the wires)? Soldering and crimping is really out of my world... :|

No, but sometimes a soldered one pops up in the trading outlet.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • ShYtFaCeShYtFaCe Joined: Posts: 170
    edited February 2015
    Anyone ever tried making a universal cable with interchangeable connector heads? Seems like most people just make sets of individual RJ-45 cables for each of their consoles, but it'd be nice to have one detachable cable for the arcade stick, with hot-swappable plugs/connector heads for the console ends.

I really like the Xbox 360 breakaway cable implementation, would love something similar for MC sticks where the breakaway end could double as both a trip guard and a hot-swap system for PSX, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, Gamecube, etc. terminals.

I'm not sure how many physical pins the 360 breakaway cable supports, if only the 4 standard USB pins then I'm guessing 360 cables couldn't be hacked to work with older cables that use up to 7 pins like the PSX. But maybe there are breakaway mini-DIN 8 (or other) solutions that function similarly that could be used? Or are there any unnecessary pins on a PSX cable that can be left out to work with an OG Xbox/360 breakaway cable (OG Xbox supports up to 5 pins, 360 I believe 4 from looking at mine)? I think the Gamecube only has 3 necessary pins and the extras can be forgone to lose features like rumble, can something similar be done with PSX?

Obviously you could do this with something like a female to female RJ-45 adapter but that would be a really ugly and clumsy solution. It would probably only be worth doing with something more elegant like the OG Xbox/360 breakaway system.

I couldn't find anything via search, not sure if this has already been done/discussed before.

EDIT: I found an old Radioshack PS2 breakaway extension cable, obviously with these being in short supply and $20+ each you definitely wouldn't be hacking them, but surely we can find something similar that would work.

It'd actually be really nice if we could source a manufacturer that could produce both the terminal ends and the breakaway cables themselves so we could have something that looks professional and stock, using uniform colored shieldings and plug terminals. If we just bought the breakaway mouldings/connectors in bulk we'd have to use some type of heatshrink or sleeving, and all the plugs and wire shieldings would be in random colors. Be nice to shorten up the barrels to the breakaway plugs a bit too for something a little more compact, even the stock Xbox 360 breakaway units run a tad long at ~2.5" total, in my opinion.
    Post edited by ShYtFaCe on
    I used DE 9 connectors before on controller cables.
    I can see how a Mini Din 8 connector will work.

Realistically you never need more than 8 pins for controllers.
    PSX has a 9 pin connector but only 7 of those are used, NES and SNES has 7 pin connectors but only use 5 (unless your using the NES zapper)
    OG Xbox uses only 4 wires, the 5th is for video signal for lightguns, for a stick or pad you never need the 5th yellow wire.
    Game cube only uses 3 out of the 6 pins it support.

I never liked RJ45 connectors, not because of looks but because they are damn fragile.