SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Arcade Stick FAQ (Read this before asking questions)

Comments

• apatDALAWAMPUapatDALAWAMPU Joined: Posts: 29
    All the guides out there seem to focus on grips and controlling the stick. I'm comfy with that. The buttons are killing me though. focuses , throws, punches to sweeps.
    Simple gief bnb cr. lpx2, cr. lk xx EX GH totally lost. Just practice or any tips?

If this helps, I have my index finger on lp, middle finger on mp, ring finger on hp, and thumb on lk. On most single button pushes I just use my index finger, middle finger and ring finger. having my thumb on/near lk allows me to throw and a quick adjustment either moving my thumb over or the whole hand (so mp/mk are hit with index finger/thumb) allows me to focus.
    It's printed out on paper? I'm such a technology newb.

Yes, but you also use a kind of laminate allows you to stick the art on the stick while also providing some protection for the top from normal wear and tear. Here's a link to driph's guide - http://shoryuken.com/threads/178381-Howto-Add-custom-art-to-your-Madcatz-Standard-Fightstick
    ·
  • KnauerPowerKnauerPower Joined: Posts: 23
    Ty kindly
    ·
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Hey guys, new to the fighting game genre. This is my first fighting game I have ever bought(well I bought the smash bros games, but they aren't really fighting games like SF).

Got SSF4 6 days ago and I'm at a C+ with Blanka.

I want to get an arcade stick and I'm thinking about getting the SE, then modding it with SANWA parts(since I've heard that the buttons and stick become unresponsive over time).

Is it a good idea? Modding the SE is cheaper than getting the TE right now for me. Is the SE fairly easy to mod? And what are the advantages to getting the TE rather than the SE other than higher-quality parts?
    ·
  • fokkusuhaundofokkusuhaundo true bubble struggle Joined: Posts: 695
    The SE is very easy to mod because the buttons and joystick use quick disconnects.

The advantages the TE stick has over the SE:
    1. 2 lbs. heavier than the SE makes it more stable in your lap
    2. Larger face gives you more room for your hands to work with
    3. Easy to remove the art panel and customize with your own art and plexiglass
    4. Convenient cable storage compartment
    youはshock!
    PSN: nxsr
    ·
  • Ar3sAr3s XBL: Ari3s Joined: Posts: 182
    So all throughout SF4 I played on the regular Xbox 360 controller and got really good with it. About a week or two before SSF4 came out I got a Mad Catz TE and tried to learn how to use it. Quickly learned that I really didn't like the square gate too much and got an octagonal gate instead.

After playing with it for awhile and forcing myself to learn it, I still just plain sucked with it compared to how I am using a controller. And because I hate losing to crap that I wouldn't of lost to on my controller, I would usually stop using the TE stick to just win some games to boost my moral. But that stops me from learning how to get good with an arcade stick.

About the only thing I am good at with the arcade stick is doing trials, but not matches.

Has anyone else had similar transitioning problems and are there any psychological tips to help with the process?
    XBL - Ari3s

UMvC3 - Hulk/Dormammu/Sentinel
    USF4 - Decapre/Cammy
    KI - Orchid

http://www.twitch.tv/ar3s701
    ·
  • KnauerPowerKnauerPower Joined: Posts: 23
    I had that problem and still do. My main is a B grade with 3700bp. It's pathetic. I miss ultras and supers that cost me matches. I got a se and upgraded the stick now my buttons don't respond fast enough. Good thing about the se is I beat it a good bunch of times n the only damage it did is to my hand. Not good for morale but it sure does make u feel better!
    ·
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,649 mod
    You just need to practice until you're comfortable with it. There isn't really any other way.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    ·
  • MaNiLa iCeDMaNiLa iCeD Drop Bombs Like Pac Joined: Posts: 53
    Thanks for the guide, I just recently ordered TE "S" edition for PS3.
    ·
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Thank you for this guide, it helped me deciding which stick to get. I ended up getting the TE Round 2. Played a few games and it is awesome, my thumb is not going to get hurt anymore because of the d-pad... lol.
    ·
  • PatakaReadaPatakaReada Just a Boy, hungry for love Joined: Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason the black version of the SSF4 TE is cheaper than the white one?
    "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. But not Hip-Hop yo"
    ·
  • ExiiLeExiiLe Ever Improving Joined: Posts: 368
    I has questions.

Just made a thread about this and feel like a dummy now.

Anyway, I am planning on getting a stick. I just had a few questions, maybe by people who made the switch from pad to stick.

What control scheme should I use? How hard is it to make the switch? How long does it take to get back to my A-game? Is it worth it?
    Hit me up on XBL if you wanna get some games in. GT- x IHaVoK x
    SSFIV- Cody, Hawk. Marvel vs Capcom 3- Thor, Ironman, Spencer
    ·
  • SSblankaSSblanka Joined: Posts: 672
    :lp::mp::hp:
    :lk::mk::hk:

not really hard, but you will take losses. it depends on how much you play each day, but it usually takes about 2 weeks to get comfortable. probably a month or two to you're about the same.

depends on you. is a stick worth $100? for me yea.
    ·
  • ExiiLeExiiLe Ever Improving Joined: Posts: 368
    Ok, ordering my stick now.

Getting the MadCatz FightStick SE. I wanted to know if I should go ahead and buy new parts(buttons, stick, Gate) while I have the money and be broke for a few months, or just stick with the stock parts while I learn how to use it and just get the better parts later on.

I have absolutely no stick experience except for MvC2 at the arcade a couple times, I expect the process of learning to be painstaking and annoying, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Also, I know that Square and Octo gate is a matter of preference, but I wonder what would be better for my mains fighting style. I use T. Hawk mainly and I hear that the Octo gate is better for full rotations.
    Hit me up on XBL if you wanna get some games in. GT- x IHaVoK x
    SSFIV- Cody, Hawk. Marvel vs Capcom 3- Thor, Ironman, Spencer
    ·
    Well a stick(20ish) and 6(2 per button) together rounds up around 30-40ish. Dunno, you decide.

Also try sticking with a square for a while. Practice makes you get used to it.
    ·
  • Leprosy SnacksLeprosy Snacks 自動販売機 Joined: Posts: 113
    I played in Japanese arcades for a few months learning to play fighting games. But now that I bought a Seimitsu stick (HRAP EX SE) when I go back to regular Sanwa sticks I can't use them for crap! Since most arcades I have seen use Happ or Sanwa I am really out of luck, I have serious execution problems. I am considering buying a looser stick just because it's unfortunately the norm.

However I prefer the buttons on this controller. They felt cheap at first but I really like them now
    ·
  • benwahbenwah Joined: Posts: 3
    What is best to set the MadCatz TE stick to, LS or DP? Is there any difference in the way it registers inputs?
    ·
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set it to DP. LS has noticeable input delay.
    Missing Person - There should be a middle ground. But one side refuses to acknowledge the point that being a gamer, being against misogyny, and being for journalistic professionalism and integrity are NOT mutually exclusive, because to concede that would mean they would have to concede that journalistic integrity should be attained and thus they would have to fess up.
    ·
  • kevfactorkevfactor Joined: Posts: 117
    is there a te quality stick that works with pc, xbox and with gravy on top ps3?

im using a tekken 6 stick which is great but i sort of want to go to the next level when i see it fo rthe right price :)
    ·
  • Trini_JudokaTrini_Judoka Still salty... Joined: Posts: 1,316
    Hey all, I'm looking upgrade my SE with Seimetsu buttons (i hear they have a clickier feel than sanwa) and a sanwa jlf. Went to lizardlick and there is a JLF promoted as a drop in replacement for the SE. But it disclaims "no wiring harness"... ummm is that something else i need to purchase?

Do I also need to purchase a ball top or will the one that came with the SE suffice?
    Currently playing: I wish. gotta work son

psn/xbl: JoBronze

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
    ·
  • Leprosy SnacksLeprosy Snacks 自動販売機 Joined: Posts: 113
    also with the fightpads please set it to DP (at least on 360) - they are HORRIBLE on LS

Seimitsu buttons generally feel kind of cheap, at least the ones with HRAP EX SE. I love them but at first I wasn't too keen on them.
    ·
  • LupinTheThirdLupinTheThird Joined: Posts: 4
    should i get a fighstick if i'm only going to play SSIV online
    ·
  • Spartan_ThroneSpartan_Throne Iron Fist dabes Joined: Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭
    should i get a fighstick if i'm only going to play SSIV online

It depends on how dedicated to Street Fighter, and subsesquent games, you're thinking of being.

I took the leap of faith about a month and a half ago, and I'm probably at least twice as good as I was previously. It takes time, but it's worth it if you're willing to dedicate yourself to Street Fighter over other games. It's your call, but a stick would help you dedicate yourself anyhow, with them costing so much, and feeling so cool.

If you do choose to go for a stick, go for any MadCatz Tournament Edition (Round 1, Round 2, S, MvC etc), they're all the same essentially and are really well built using Sanwa buttons and sticks, which are godlike compared to the parts you'd get in cheaper sticks; they cost more in the short run, but in the long run you'll save money, just do some research and try to find one at the cheapest price you can. You won't regret it.
    UMVC3 - Mags/Dorm/Doom ~ Wolv/Dorm/[Fist/Akuma/Doom]
    ·
  • SylariSylari Joined: Posts: 1,445
    Is there a reason the black version of the SSF4 TE is cheaper than the white one?

The only difference between the two is the aesthetic.. so .. I guess people like white more.
    SRK's worst Omega Red player.
    ·
    Hey all, I'm looking upgrade my SE with Seimetsu buttons (i hear they have a clickier feel than sanwa) and a sanwa jlf. Went to lizardlick and there is a JLF promoted as a drop in replacement for the SE. But it disclaims "no wiring harness"... ummm is that something else i need to purchase?

No you don't need to purchase a "wiring harness" since it is already in the SE. It's the wire that plugs to the stick.
    Do I also need to purchase a ball top or will the one that came with the SE suffice?

The ball top that comes with the SE is fine unless you want another color ball top
    ·
    So after doing a lot of research, I still don't know if the Madcatz TE sticks work with PS1 games on a PS3. I know they don't play PS2 games, but some people have said PS1 games work, while others say they don't. I even emailed Madcatz tech support and got a pitiful answer ('Hi no they wont').

Anyone who's tried this, can you please let me know? Thanks.

The fact that they said no probably means it won't. Plus if the TE doesn't work on PS2 games, it also may mean it doesn't work on PS1 games. Do you already have a TE?
    ·
  • StfAbezStfAbez Joined: Posts: 11
    Frustrating....

Hello! im new one at teh forums and i bought arcade stick.And i strated with Ryu with Ps3 controller and i was able to do sum level 16-20 trials wit him.... Now i have been playing for about 2 weeks and i cant pull of even trial where you need to pull cr.mp,cr.mp,cr.hk :D so do just practice like hell or is there sumthing frong with me(combos like cr.lpx3,cr.mk,tatsu etc are hard as hell to pull)
    ·
  • sandwichcookiesandwichcookie Unregistered User. Joined: Posts: 1,155
    No, I don't, I'm trying to find out before I buy one. Surely someone has to have tried this?

I just tried, it works fine. I have a 40GB fat ps3(don't know the model/serial, not gonna check) and a TE stick and I was able to play castlevania SOTN as long as the switch was set to directional pad.. Seemed oddly laggy though, but I only tried it for like 5-10 seconds, just long enough to check every button. *shrug* ymmv
    I hated hipsters before it was mainstream.
    ·
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,649 mod
    Hello! im new one at teh forums and i bought arcade stick.And i strated with Ryu with Ps3 controller and i was able to do sum level 16-20 trials wit him.... Now i have been playing for about 2 weeks and i cant pull of even trial where you need to pull cr.mp,cr.mp,cr.hk :D so do just practice like hell or is there sumthing frong with me(combos like cr.lpx3,cr.mk,tatsu etc are hard as hell to pull)

Check out this thread for tips to help you figure out what you're doing wrong.

http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-execution-guide-read-me-234169/
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    ·
  • StfAbezStfAbez Joined: Posts: 11
    well Starcade i solved mah problem as you said. people wont do good if angry:) now i can pull of sum combos
    ·
  • Regulat0rRegulat0r Joined: Posts: 42
    Just got my stick the other day and going to start practicing soon, quick question though. Should I turn off the triple kick and punch buttons or is it better to use them? Don't know if the reaction time better with them turned off or not.
    ·
  • monkeyMixmonkeyMix LVL:1 HP:999 MP:999 Joined: Posts: 46
    I need Help identifying my kind of stick it says real arcade pro 3 at the bottom with a box on the top for turbo home L3 and R3 6 buttons and 2 on top of those buttons for start and select help?
    UMvC3: Magneto/Dante, Doctor Doom, Spencer/Magneto
    SFIV: Guile, Seth
    SFxTK: Hwoarang, Lili
    PSN: DavidXHa

Lili so S-Tier
    ·
  • wwstar30wwstar30 RD CombOeateR - sfxol.weebly.com Joined: Posts: 604
    Can you take a picture.
    Get to know me better

Street Fighter Xbox Live Online League - SFXOL.weebly.com
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=HPNU95PZ
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    I need Help identifying my kind of stick it says real arcade pro 3 at the bottom with a box on the top for turbo home L3 and R3 6 buttons and 2 on top of those buttons for start and select help?

HORI REAL ARCADE Pro. 3 is all.

Sanwa JLF if it is stock.
    Otherwise I do not know without pictures.

But you only have six Buttons?
    There should be eight, not including Start and Select.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1189895 this is a pic of my stick, Also need help finding template request threads for my type file

Lili so S-Tier
    ·
    NG BBS — show ur fightstick this is a pic of my stick, Also need help finding template request threads for my type file

http://shoryuken.com/f177/ps3-wii-hori-fightstick-art-template-thread-184817/
    ·
    but like the artwork dosent have a rectangle hole for turbo and etc.

Lili so S-Tier
    ·
  • fokkusuhaundofokkusuhaundo true bubble struggle Joined: Posts: 695
    but like the artwork dosent have a rectangle hole for turbo and etc.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/top-panel-template-hrap2sa-hrap3-164245/
    youはshock!
    PSN: nxsr
    ·
  • Hot_NickLzHot_NickLz Joined: Posts: 9
    Thanks for the help. Went with the TE S. Next up, is the mod.
    ·
    http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1189895 this is a pic of my stick, Also need help finding template request threads for my type file

Oh, when you said to identify Stick, I thought you meant Joystick.
    The Arcade Stick you have is HORI REAL ARCADE Pro. 3, yes.

And art is linked by fokkusuhaundo.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
  • madmalkavmadmalkav Joined: Posts: 39
    Custom building questions:

What should I go with, Lexan or Plexiglass? What are the pros and cons of each?

Can I use a good Cat.6 ethernet cable for soldering the stick and buttons? It seems like an easy way to have the cables ordered.
    ·
    Just got my stick the other day and going to start practicing soon, quick question though. Should I turn off the triple kick and punch buttons or is it better to use them? Don't know if the reaction time better with them turned off or not.

turn it off unless you have gdlk pinky dexterity. LOL

6 buttons only ftw..

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
    ·
  • gluemchengluemchen Joined: Posts: 121
    I have a question concerning ball top. When i first got my stick and started to play i noticed that i could turn my ball top. Or better said i could unscrew it. Does it need to be loose like this or do i need to tighten it? If yes, how?
    Steam ID(gluemchen)/GFWL(gluemchen): SSFIV AE 2012, SFxT
    PSN(gluemchen): Skullgirls
    Region: Europe(Germany)
    Skill: Bad/Mediorcre
    ·
    I have a question concerning ball top. When i first got my stick and started to play i noticed that i could turn my ball top. Or better said i could unscrew it. Does it need to be loose like this or do i need to tighten it? If yes, how?

The ball should be able to rotate but NOT unscrew if you keep turning it. If that's the case you need to open the case and tighten the ball to the joystick mechanism.

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
    ·
    Are you sure it is unscrewing?
    Or is it just rotating?

It is normal for spinning around.
    Because it is connected to Shaft, and Shaft spins.
    ·
  • gluemchengluemchen Joined: Posts: 121
    I opened it up and tightend the balltop properly. I guess they didn`t screw it tight enough. I didn`t tighten it too much though. It`s steady now. Thanks for your help guys.
    Steam ID(gluemchen)/GFWL(gluemchen): SSFIV AE 2012, SFxT
    PSN(gluemchen): Skullgirls
    Region: Europe(Germany)
    Skill: Bad/Mediorcre
    ·
  • drpokerfacedrpokerface Joined: Posts: 9
    Problem with my TE

Thanks for having a Noob thread. My down left position I have to press harder to make it register. I cannot get my 2 in 1's. c.MK -> Hadoken to work from the right hand side. I though it was just me, but I can hear the switches firing, but the input isn't registering unless I press hard. Wondering what I can do. Do I need a new joystick, or new switch, any help would be great, thanks.
    ·
  • sojiokitasojiokita Joined: Posts: 31
    anyone know of an arcade stick for PS3 with seimitsu ls-32-01?
    ·
  • No defenceNo defence idk -_- ? Joined: Posts: 1,023

look for the spark. Every time you land a hit there is a spark.

see the spark. If you press the button to link c.mp,c.mp,c.hk to early while the spark animation is still active you move wont come out. If your press the button too late after the spark animation ends you wont combo.:coffee:
    Adapt or Die.
    ·
  • doremon12doremon12 Joined: Posts: 1
    Special thanks to Kooper and Kyle over at Tech Talk for their input on this.

This will be periodically updated to make sure everything is covered. If you have any questions, please ask away.

Things currently on the list to improve upon:

- differences between different Madcatz TE models
    - some basic supergun info
    - basic what stick is in what arcade cabinet info
    Valiant effort to cut down on a lot of newbie threads but, I don't think it will help.

Call me cynical.

However, may I suggest changing the text color of the bolded segments to something that stands out more?

• Sir_FlawlessSir_Flawless Joined: Posts: 174
    Hey, looks like this is a good thread to ask for some basic execution tips. You know, basically how to get better at using your stick properly to pull of moves.
    U MvC 3: OMG, THIS GAME IS SO AMAZING, There are sooooooo many people I want to use, but I will say that Spider-Man and Iron Man are my 2 mains ATM.
    SF 4: IDK,, Maybe Guy
    SF x Tekken: Hwoarang & Rolento
    KOF XIII: Kyo, Kim, King
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·