SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!)

14567810»

Comments

• unwndunwnd Joined: Posts: 451
    Do most people hit lk+lp with their thumb and index finger? I only use my fingers and not my thumb, it seems rather difficult to kara throw with hp/hk this way, should I be using my thumb?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,712
    unwnd wrote: »
    Do most people hit lk+lp with their thumb and index finger? I only use my fingers and not my thumb, it seems rather difficult to kara throw with hp/hk this way, should I be using my thumb?

For throws, I just use a single finger to press both buttons. Feels just faster and more accurate this way. But depending on the situation, I do use my thumb to press LK at times.
  • BurningSnakeBurningSnake Joined: Posts: 31
    For Xbox 360 players, How do you perform a "Delta"/Triangle Input with a 360 pad? I know it sucks, but I can't afford a Fight Stick because its too expensive and when I try to perform a delta input for moves like Bloody High Claw or Climax Beat for Vega and Dee Jay, I end up doing that horrible Backflip or Machine Gun Upper instead and get myself killed. This is really frustrating and often makes me lose a match and my rank points, but I really don't want to use Sobat Festival and I don't find Splendid Claw as useful.

How do you guys do it?
  • unwndunwnd Joined: Posts: 451
    For Xbox 360 players, How do you perform a "Delta"/Triangle Input with a 360 pad? I know it sucks, but I can't afford a Fight Stick because its too expensive and when I try to perform a delta input for moves like Bloody High Claw or Climax Beat for Vega and Dee Jay, I end up doing that horrible Backflip or Machine Gun Upper instead and get myself killed. This is really frustrating and often makes me lose a match and my rank points, but I really don't want to use Sobat Festival and I don't find Splendid Claw as useful.

How do you guys do it?

The way I do it is from holding downback, roll the analog stick along the gate to forward, then roll it back along to upback then press kkk/ppp.
    If I want to walk forward/dash ultra I just either go from down back directly to forward/dash forward then once again roll the stick along the gate to upback.

• derukunderukun filthy fucking casual Joined: Posts: 454
    I can't do Cr. MK xx EX Fireball FADC Ultra 1 with Ryu.

I can do it semi-consistently from the left side, but on the right side either the FADC is too slow, or an EX DP comes out instead of Ultra.

Why does this happen so damn often?! I swear, EX DP is the bane of my existence. I would be content without an EX DP (considering I never use it outside of accidentally)

Anyone have tips on how I can get the Ultra to come out instead of the DP? I've been at this for days now and I'm going insane.
    SFV Fighter ID - blackolives
    derukun wrote: »
    I can't do Cr. MK xx EX Fireball FADC Ultra 1 with Ryu.

I can do it semi-consistently from the left side, but on the right side either the FADC is too slow, or an EX DP comes out instead of Ultra.

Why does this happen so damn often?! I swear, EX DP is the bane of my existence. I would be content without an EX DP (considering I never use it outside of accidentally)

Anyone have tips on how I can get the Ultra to come out instead of the DP? I've been at this for days now and I'm going insane.

You're dragging your stick along the edge of the gate when you do the ultra motion. This is bad juju. When you do that, you're basically inputting several shortcuts for the uppercut instead of getting two clean QCF motions.

When you input the ultra, do 1 QCF, return to neutral, and do another QCF. Practice doing the ultra motion slowly in this fashion just raw before going on to doing it in cobos.
  • derukunderukun filthy fucking casual Joined: Posts: 454
    Hmm, I do seem to be gate riding in Ultra motion...
    SFV Fighter ID - blackolives
  • Chukz15Chukz15 Low Tier Option select is the future. Joined: Posts: 492
    Should one continue to play Street Fighter if you can't even combo, in my match analysis video, someone said that my jab links aren't cutting it, I agree, but linking combos are HARD AS FUARK. I don't know how everyone does them so easily.
    PSN:Chukz15
    GFWL: Darkerfire706
    Skill level: D tier
    Injustice: Superman, Batman
    Mahvel:Nova/Vergil/Hawkeye alt Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
    SSFIV: Dan/Balrog

• TristesseTristesse Joined: Posts: 8
    edited March 2014
    I'm a pad player who's been trying to get used to stick and I've been having a lot of difficulty with quarter circle motions because instead of :d::df::f:, they'd end up like :d::f:. What is the problem here and how do I fix it?

Also, I don't understand how to do qcf DC qcf inputs in KOF because usually I'll get qcf x2 super. What can I do to not get the super input?

Thanks!
    How 2 link combos on a WWE 360 Brawlpad?
    How 2 link combos on a WWE 360 Brawlpad?

With skill, timing, and practice, like everything else in fighting games.
  • Rhythmic_combosRhythmic_combos Mind games are my games Joined: Posts: 392
    Its just all about realizing what combos are for a punish and which are safe to fish with. Linking things for me got alot easier when I learned plinking which I learned immediately I got a fightstick cuz it seemed important especially for high priority links and long combos. plinking isn't for everyone/everything its just needed for as i said high priority links.
  • blackmariahblackmariah Joined: Posts: 12
    Hi, I have an execution problem. Iam still new to the game (I startet in february). And I find it really really hard to use FADC without starting to mash. It already is pain for me to do a Srk FADC Ultra 1 on Ryu and I have a success of maybe 40% in Trainingsmode.
    'I always see on streams and videos that people even combine combos with FADC and create combochains that wouldn't be able to do without. So I tried m y luck and tried to do the following with Evil Ryu. s.HPxxMK Axe, FADC, s.LP>s.MPxxLK Axe (because I saw that one pretty often)
    I only get to the FADC and it comes out 70% of the time. Continuing the combo from that point is impossible at the moment. How can I work on it? I get raped online by stuff like this and I see it in so many replays that I want to be able to do it too.
    Hi, I have an execution problem. Iam still new to the game (I startet in february). And I find it really really hard to use FADC without starting to mash. It already is pain for me to do a Srk FADC Ultra 1 on Ryu and I have a success of maybe 40% in Trainingsmode.
    'I always see on streams and videos that people even combine combos with FADC and create combochains that wouldn't be able to do without. So I tried m y luck and tried to do the following with Evil Ryu. s.HPxxMK Axe, FADC, s.LP>s.MPxxLK Axe (because I saw that one pretty often)
    I only get to the FADC and it comes out 70% of the time. Continuing the combo from that point is impossible at the moment. How can I work on it? I get raped online by stuff like this and I see it in so many replays that I want to be able to do it too.

Stop trying to learn the fancy combos if you can't do the basics yet. Just work on basic SRK FADC Ultra1. That's all you really need. Avoid picking E.Ryu and trying to do higher level combos if you can't even do one of the basic steps correctly or accurately.

Training mode helps a lot. Be sure to practice on both P1 and P2 sides, and do your best to work on ACCURACY first before you work on speed. The speed will come, human hands are naturally pretty quick at moving, it's accuracy you need to focus on, always. Try to do it as slow as you can until you can get it to come out accurately, and keep on doing it at that pace. Practice it until you're able to do it 10 times in a row, on both sides of the screen, without failure.

It helps to learn that you don't actually need to tape forward twice in order to dash after the focus. Wuuut? It's true. After you do the DP motion, you hold the down-forward position while you press and HOLD the fadc command, then you simply just need to tap forward once in order to get the dash. This cuts down on the number of inputs you have to make, which allows you to make the motions a bit slower, which help with accuracy.

Forward, down, down-forward (hold it), MP, MP+MK (hold it), forward, QCF, QCF, 3P.
    How to practice doing a 360 motion on a WWE Madcats Brawlpad for any FG (not just Street Fighter 4)?

Example: Street Fighter Alpha 3 ROM with R.Mika, I try to do her cmd throw called Paradise Hold, but it usually overlaps and I get Flying Peach most of the time instead.

The only game where I can do a 360 motion with relative ease is Skullgirls
  • KaoriKaori Would you like a demonstration? Joined: Posts: 1,172
    How should your inputs look in USF4 if you plink? I ask because in training mode I practicing and sometimes I get s.HK and MK one after the other or I get two HK's and a MK input even though I did them the same

Are they both plinks or is one an execution error? Thanks!
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,585
    edited July 2014
    Kaori wrote: »
    How should your inputs look in USF4 if you plink? I ask because in training mode I practicing and sometimes I get s.HK and MK one after the other or I get two HK's and a MK input even though I did them the same

Are they both plinks or is one an execution error? Thanks!
    Here is what your button inputs should look like in Dudley's cr.lk cr.lp s.hk combo if you plink.

MK HK
    HK
    LP
    LK

Post edited by Kikuichimonji on
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 683
    edited July 2014
    Look at this image, opponent is to the right.
    kpoG6ry.png

I'm trying to do c.lp, c.mp, lk.tatsu. What I am getting is c.lp, c.mp, EX SRK.
    What's causing this? I'd just like to understand whether I'm buffering too early, or if it is because I am over-"steering" the motion.
    I've been doing the same motions/buffers for years and years now, all of a sudden this shit happens, only to one side. DansGame

Also
    Kaori wrote: »
    How should your inputs look in USF4 if you plink?
    Look at my image, I'm inputting lp, then plinking the mp. The only times it doesn't look like that (button, then button+plinked button) is if you select-/back-plink or if you use 3p/3k/doubleplink. If you get MK, HK or MK+HK, it's not true plinks.
    Post edited by FluffyM on
    SFV: Chun Li, Guile, Cammy, Balrog
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Leona
    SF4: Adon
    FluffyM wrote: »
    I'm trying to do c.lp, c.mp, lk.tatsu. What I am getting is c.lp, c.mp, EX SRK.
    What's causing this
    I'd guess negative edge. Hold down the buttons and see if the EX SRK comes out.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

• FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 683
    I'd guess negative edge. Hold down the buttons and see if the EX SRK comes out.

Thanks, just wanted to post back and say yep, that's it. Very...irritating.
    I guess allowing players to disable negative edge was the one good thing Injustice did.
    SFV: Chun Li, Guile, Cammy, Balrog
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Leona
    SF4: Adon
  • rmutuarmutua Joined: Posts: 36
    can some1 tell me how to do double half circles on a square gate stick please :/
    Ibuki Is My Favourite Street Fighter Character
    rmutua wrote: »
    can some1 tell me how to do double half circles on a square gate stick please :/
    There's no trick to it, besides making sure that you have a comfortable grip. Try to exaggerate the motion. Do it slowly and methodically, then gradually increase your speed after you get it down. It's going to take practice to execute correctly.

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    edited July 2014

1) Read the first post in this thread.

2) Go practice.

Also, welcome to SRK, but please don't ask the same question in all of the stickies. This isn't really a question about arcade stick hardware, no need to post it in the newbie stick thread too.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • TopTop Joined: Posts: 9

1) Read the first post in this thread.

Hey yall. So I made a video to help answer rmutua's question. I also included a question of my own for Trouble Brewing, or anyone else that can give me some guidance.

The first post says:

"Also, if you're using a Japanese stick with a square gate, there is no need to follow the gate on circular motions. It's best that you don't."

This is solid advice for doing QCFx2 type motions that don't require a diagonal input. However, moves that do require the diagonal are really awkward with the square gate as demonstrated in the video I made. Does anyone have any advice on this? thanks

• rmutuarmutua Joined: Posts: 36
    Thank you for the reply Top this video helped alot.

Also does any1 know how to do the dragon punch on a square gate stick. i watch that video that was posted like 4 years ago but the method he used does not seem to work anymore.
    Ibuki Is My Favourite Street Fighter Character
  • MolehasmolesMolehasmoles Joined: Posts: 30

Also does any1 know how to do the dragon punch on a square gate stick. i watch that video that was posted like 4 years ago but the method he used does not seem to work anymore.

Just like you'd do it with any other kind of stick, I think. Just move it forward -> down forward -> down -> down forward -> forward -> hit a button.
  • MolehasmolesMolehasmoles Joined: Posts: 30
    edited July 2014

Just like you'd do it with any other kind of stick, I think. Just move it forward -> down forward -> down -> down forward -> forward -> hit a button.

I'm a noob though so don't trust, though I'm pretty sure how to dp.

EDIT: I meant to edit the other post, but I misclicked, sorry. I don't know how to delete posts.
    Post edited by Molehasmoles on
  • TopTop Joined: Posts: 9

You have two options for this. I think I remember the video you're talking about where he slides it along the bottom plane from DF D DB D DF for dragon punch?

Anyway here's what I've done.

Option 1

DF D DF

Option 2

F D F

Those aren't the only ways, but those are the easiest.

F D F is going to be just like the input for QCFx2 from my video, just without the first D input.

DF D DF is a modified way of doing the '4 year old video' method. Instead of going all the way to DB you just leave the stick in DF and slightly jump it back for a second then ram it into the DF corner again.

I can do a video for it later if that's not clear.

• wolfeagle 847wolfeagle 847 Joined: Posts: 156
    When plinking can you use any lower priority button? Oh hell, can someone point me towards a good plinking tutorial? Thank you!
    "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Spinoza
    When plinking can you use any lower priority button? Oh hell, can someone point me towards a good plinking tutorial? Thank you!

Youtube has a lot of them. Shouldn't be hard to find in search.
  • AntiochliAntiochli I throw blue balls of Fire. Joined: Posts: 148
    edited July 2014

For sure! I think Juicebox's tutorial is a pretty exhaustive breakdown of how and why P-Linking works in Street Fighter 4, as well as how to perform it. Hope it helps:

Lucky for us all, that's not the case.
  • vgundam25vgundam25 Joined: Posts: 33
    I have been having a lot of issues. I'm am somewhat new to the fightstick. I just started play sf again after 5 years. I had this problem when I quit as well. How in hell do you do, qcf into qcbx2 cancels. Ex: one of jury's missions is st.m>qcf.kick>qcbx2.kick. (Super cancel)
  • SnaxSnax Joined: Posts: 186
    What part are you having trouble with? There's no special trick to it, just QCF, then input the super while the special is coming.

But I'm also having a ton of trouble with QCB/ QCF x2 while facing left. I've turned on input display and I consistently miss the second down-left. I have a stick with a square gate. It's much harder to deliberately do down-left than down-right for some reason.
  • mitspielermitspieler Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi,

I started to pay attention to my execution and play around with input shortcuts. SSF4 is the game. What I'm trying:

cr.lk, st.lp, cr.mk xx HP DP

Whats bothering me is the st.lp, cr.mk link and the DP cancel. I tried two different ways. Usually, when I just poke with cr.mk and want to buffer the cancel, I use the DF, D, DF shortcut. Like 3MK,23HP. But recently I discovered when playing footsies it's easier for me to buffer with 6,2MK,3HP.
    Now I wondered if it's advisable to practice the same with the hitconfirm combo above (like holding 6 during the st.lp and with that starting to buffer the DP motion).

Is there any consensus on what to prefer? Anything considered "clean" or smth? Or is just a preference thing and in the end depends on the situation and what you feel more comfortable with?
  • ThunderPantsThunderPants Joined: Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    so i just got a stick yesterday and I've been relearning stuff. not that i was a good pad player, just played with friends a few times and could the basic shooto specials somewhat ok

now I've been getting more serious and started training with ryu with input display to hone my ececution. one thing I've noticed is that the input display can show all sorts of wrong input, but the move still comes out.
    I guess I can understand the game ignoring the extra inputs in there, but sometimes inputs that should be there are missing. common one for me seems to be doing Metsu Hadoken with no df or bf on the last quarter circle
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    What you're experiencing is the input leniency of SF4.
    There's a lot of shortcut commands in the game and when you just mash something the game assumes you wanted to do x move and it comes out.

You should read up on shortcut commands for SF4 because they can either help you a lot or fuck you up really hard, so it's important to be aware of them.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • ThunderPantsThunderPants Joined: Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    thanks! I'll look into input leniency/shortcut commands

edit: that's nice! Loving how much new stuff I've been learning in just a couple of days in training and from online resources
    Post edited by ThunderPants on
  • Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    So... Right now i don't have time to read the entire thread (i'm a lazy person) and or search thread about this in the Balrog Sub-Forum (probably a better place to ask, but it's about general execution, so i'll put it in here for now), if you feel it should go in the Balrog sub i'll repost it there.

So... Charge Characters. I'll decided to finally learn a charge character because i'm kinda growing tired of Rose. My main problem is something like this: I can't for the life of mine, do a damn headbutt wit Balrog. I can do EVERY other character DB>Up+P/K move, but i can't do it with Balrog. The inputs are correct, there are no input errors like DB > BU o DB > FU. DB>Up+Punch. But it comes out only 2/10 times. The only good thing is that when it comes, i manage to always pull the UC1 after it on reaction. Even trying canceling a normal into the Headbutt doesn't help.

Does the headbutt have a different charge time or i'm just bad as crap?
  • CookieSoupCookieSoup Joined: Posts: 80
    Zio_Name wrote: »
    So... Right now i don't have time to read the entire thread (i'm a lazy person) and or search thread about this in the Balrog Sub-Forum (probably a better place to ask, but it's about general execution, so i'll put it in here for now), if you feel it should go in the Balrog sub i'll repost it there.

So... Charge Characters. I'll decided to finally learn a charge character because i'm kinda growing tired of Rose. My main problem is something like this: I can't for the life of mine, do a damn headbutt wit Balrog. I can do EVERY other character DB>Up+P/K move, but i can't do it with Balrog. The inputs are correct, there are no input errors like DB > BU o DB > FU. DB>Up+Punch. But it comes out only 2/10 times. The only good thing is that when it comes, i manage to always pull the UC1 after it on reaction. Even trying canceling a normal into the Headbutt doesn't help.

Does the headbutt have a different charge time or i'm just bad as crap?

AFAIK, headbutt has no longer charge time, no. You're sure you've put your inputs on to see you're actually ending in up-back before pressing a punch? Of course if the window is too large before you input punch you'll just end up jumping back. Also, keep in mind you need to charge headbutts downwards (or downback, as long as the downwards charge is there), charging them by holding back will not work.
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 759
    How do you guys do dp's from a crouching position? Say I do cr. mp to do, do you let go of the stick then press forward? Or straight to forward? Often times I get super if I don't go neutral. It's even harder trying to cancel from a light attack.
  • The IlluminatiThe Illuminati Joined: Posts: 656
    Dp's coming out by accident in sf5. Someone help.
  • douglavrasdouglavras Blue_Note Joined: Posts: 54
    ThE CRoW wrote: »
    How do you guys do dp's from a crouching position? Say I do cr. mp to do, do you let go of the stick then press forward? Or straight to forward? Often times I get super if I don't go neutral. It's even harder trying to cancel from a light attack.

Use dp shortcuts: dwfwrd dwn dwnfwrd + punch
  • douglavrasdouglavras Blue_Note Joined: Posts: 54
    Dp's coming out by accident in sf5. Someone help.

Use dp shortcuts: dwfwrd dwn dwnfwrd + punch
  • FAI_CWFAI_CW Secretly a Twelve main Joined: Posts: 132
    ThE CRoW wrote: »
    How do you guys do dp's from a crouching position?

You could walk forward, press down (+ punch/kick, cMP in your example) and lastly press down-forward and punch to cancel your normal into an uppercut.
    So basically:
    Forward
    Down+cMP
    DownForward+Punch

Alternative:
    Use the uppercut shortcut
    DownForward
    Down
    DownForward+Punch
    (this also applies to Tatsumaki inputs)
  • Click5Click5 Joined: Posts: 53
    Anyone have tips for pulling off Zangiefs CA on a hitbox? I've had zero success with a double slide, but my 360 is about 95%

Also, does anyone have tips for pulling off an IAT Gale with Dhalsim on hitbox, or even just IA Gale? When I IAT with Sim I'm holding forward or back, and tap down then jump and PPP/KKK. My success rate with this is fairly high right now, and I typically can land the j.HP, but occasionally, and I think this is when I leave my fingers pressed on down and jump and remove them a bit slower sometimes I end up with a Gale, but I haven't been able to consistently land it, and sometimes it's accidental.
  • YunityYunity Joined: Posts: 468
    @The Crow

If standing:

Dwn-fwd + mp
    Roll to dwn or dwn-bck
    Roll to dwn-fwd + p/k

If crouching:

Roll to dwn-fwd + mp
    Roll to dwn or dwn-bck
    Roll to fwd-dwn + p/k

Or better:

Any dwn position + mp~fwd~dwn~dwn-fwd + p/k.
    Daigo wrote:
    Yun’s awoken to Satsui no Hado. In many ways. Or maybe I should say he couldn’t keep from awakening.”
  • Cro)DeadmanCro)Deadman Joined: Posts: 19
    Hello good people,

Im having issues in SF V cancelling cr.mp into EX FBA , I can do it into CT no problem standing Target combo into EX FBA/CA aswell but this one I just mess up 9/10 times and its really important.

Any advices? Using a square gate stick if it helps.

Thanks.
  • Project_6Project_6 Deadeye Joined: Posts: 22
    This helped me a lot. Very useful stuff. I will tell my friends about this.
    My tactics are imperfect. They always have been. Thus, there is always room for improvement.
14567810»