SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Execution Guide (read me!)

Comments

• KreepsyKreepsy Joined: Posts: 3
    So when I'm trying to improve my god awful ability to link, should I just pick a few a day and hammer them out and practice? Does anyone have some tips on what helped them when learning to improve their ability to land links? I realize that it's all muscle memory, but I'm sure there are better ways to improve it other than just repeatedly hitting the same link.

I'm playing SSF4:AE as Adon btw.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭✭
    So when I'm trying to improve my god awful ability to link, should I just pick a few a day and hammer them out and practice? Does anyone have some tips on what helped them when learning to improve their ability to land links? I realize that it's all muscle memory, but I'm sure there are better ways to improve it other than just repeatedly hitting the same link.

That's exactly what you do. You practice one link, or a few links, until you can land them as consistently as you can. This is how you develop muscle memory. You do it by repetitive motion until your fingers know exactly when to start moving.

It's important to take a break every now and then. Links shouldn't be the SOLE purpose of training, rather, you should do it in-between your other forms of training. You can first warm-up by practicing your bnb combos and punishes, then you can move on to playing online or against the hardest CPU opponents, then take some time to figure out why you're losing and come up with a plan to alter your current training regime or strategy to counter that, then do some link training, back to basic combos, and then back to playing matches.

Just an idea.
  • KreepsyKreepsy Joined: Posts: 3
    That's exactly what you do. You practice one link, or a few links, until you can land them as consistently as you can. This is how you develop muscle memory. You do it by repetitive motion until your fingers know exactly when to start moving.

It's important to take a break every now and then. Links shouldn't be the SOLE purpose of training, rather, you should do it in-between your other forms of training. You can first warm-up by practicing your bnb combos and punishes, then you can move on to playing online or against the hardest CPU opponents, then take some time to figure out why you're losing and come up with a plan to alter your current training regime or strategy to counter that, then do some link training, back to basic combos, and then back to playing matches.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the help. I just need to get a better hold on my links so I can actually do most of Adon's BnB combos haha.
    Thanks for the help. I just need to get a better hold on my links so I can actually do most of Adon's BnB combos haha.

It's especially important for Adon, since none of his combos are really that big on damage. It's important to learn his basic hit confirm combos and frame trap setups. Be sure to know how to perform his ambiguous cross-ups, since that's one of his best tools to land damage.

Also be sure to look into things like double tapping and plinking. Although it feels weird to perform these execution techniques in the beginning, they actually help to inject some consistency into your execution.
  • CrimsonCujoCrimsonCujo Joined: Posts: 56
    So since I refuse to open a new topic and earn myself more wrath from the admins, I'd like to post my queries here.

I've used several sticks - many of which are claimed to be custom made. I've identified a key problem in a good many of my inputs: that being that when doing a QCF, I somehow manage to hit the up/upforward/upbackward buttons on accident (in the case of the first two, usually they end up together; the second and third are always isolated incidents by themselves). I also notice that when trying to hit two Punch buttons together (or even three, for Ultras) I have problems getting even two buttons to land at the same time - for example, I'll want to hit MP+HP or LP+MP or w/e; I tap the buttons, but the game reads the rhythm all wrong (in the case of LP+MP, the game reads the weakest button first).

Usually when this happens, I panic to make sure I'm seeing the inputs right. And then I run into another problem - the minimum timing requirement for any motion to be registered as valid for a special move. I have terrible abilities in tracking time in my head (due to it being clusterfucked with a bunch of other crap at the time - I'm not able to multitask), and my math is so pitiful, I shouldn't have even graduated high school (despite the fact that I did). So I keep either doing it too slow or too fast (the latter most of the time) and it messes up the special (most often in the case of Ultras/DMs), resulting in just the normal coming out.

The problem is, I can't really "feel" the timing in my head, so I have no idea how fast is fast enough to be slow enough to make sure I have the inputs correct (as this thread's advised, do it fluidly before going all hyperspeed on it). Not to mention, I've not used a proper arcade stick in nearly, what, a decade or so? So I'd imagine not being able to "feel the gate" has something to do with it too.

I'm starting to think I'm a heavy masher, but I'm not really 100% sure on this. I mean, I've just started with both FGs and sticks, so I have virtually ZERO idea of what's right and what's wrong - and what's what. It's rather irritating, and the fact that I can still win some matches despite this abhorrently low/non-existent execution is also irritating because I didn't win those on skill - it was sheer beginner's luck. Granted, I can pull it off if it's just by itself (and usually I fail after about 5 or 6 reps, maybe 7).

I have no idea what to do. I'm hoping Theo delivers on his promise to sell one of his sticks to me for a bargain price, but right now the only stick practice I've got is at the SRK League Bar, and I can't be there 24/7. Any ideas for how I could gain execution practice outside of using a stick on these issues?
    PSN: AshrenderRenvalt

"Feel it! Black Widow Style Taekwondo! Face Juri-sama's wrath!"
  • AirkAirk Joined: Posts: 871 ✭✭
    Any ideas for how I could gain execution practice outside of using a stick on these issues?

You do realize that you basically just asked "Is there any way I can get practice without practicing?" right?
  • CrimsonCujoCrimsonCujo Joined: Posts: 56
    You do realize that you basically just asked "Is there any way I can get practice without practicing?" right?

........ Derp. Me and my mouth. Thanks for the big reminder, Airk.
    PSN: AshrenderRenvalt

"Feel it! Black Widow Style Taekwondo! Face Juri-sama's wrath!"
  • KTFOKTFO Hombre Joined: Posts: 26
    I'm running into a consitent problem with canceling my light attacks into specials. For instance, I use Ken I can link my 3 cr.lp together perfectly, but I cannot seem to get the follow up SRK or Tatsu to come out. Should I be buffering the attack while linking the 3 punches? Thoughts?
    SSF4 AE Mains:
    Adon/Cody
    It's possible that you're chaining your 3 cr.lps. Getting 3 LPs to connect is pretty easy. You can mash the living shit out of it, and you'll connect all of them without any effort. This is because you're chaining those moves together, and in SF4, you cannot connect specials off of chained attacks. What you have to do is either slow down your link timing between each cr.lp, or slightly delay the timing of your final cr.lp, which no longer makes it a chain attack, so that you can connect with an SRK or tatsu.
    It's possible that you're chaining your 3 cr.lps. Getting 3 LPs to connect is pretty easy. You can mash the living shit out of it, and you'll connect all of them without any effort. This is because you're chaining those moves together, and in SF4, you cannot connect specials off of chained attacks. What you have to do is either slow down your link timing between each cr.lp, or slightly delay the timing of your final cr.lp, which no longer makes it a chain attack, so that you can connect with an SRK or tatsu.

That may be the case. I am only pressing the punch button 3 times, as being sure not to mash, but I still could be chaining it. Unfortunately, being able to distinguish between a link and a chain in terms of light attacks is tough.
    SSF4 AE Mains:
    Adon/Cody
    That may be the case. I am only pressing the punch button 3 times, as being sure not to mash, but I still could be chaining it. Unfortunately, being able to distinguish between a link and a chain in terms of light attacks is tough.

It comes easier with practice. Are you able to reliably perform an SRK or tatsu off of a cr.lp? Some players, and especially new players, can have problem with having enough hand-speed to do the SRK motion from the down-position.
    It comes easier with practice. Are you able to reliably perform an SRK or tatsu off of a cr.lp? Some players, and especially new players, can have problem with having enough hand-speed to do the SRK motion from the down-position.

I can consistenly get an SRK out of one light attack (I like to cross of j.mk > cr.lp xx hp. SRK, but its hard to hit confirm off of just one light attack), it's off of two or more light attacks that screws me up. Perhaps it might be more worth my while to try and link the first light attack into a cr.mk, that way I know I have hit a link and not a chain and therefore can safely use a special. However, I assume linking light attacks is something I should not put off, just learn it now rather than substituting it because of my laziness. Although, what is typically more practical mid-match?
    SSF4 AE Mains:
    Adon/Cody
    I can consistenly get an SRK out of one light attack (I like to cross of j.mk > cr.lp xx hp. SRK, but its hard to hit confirm off of just one light attack), it's off of two or more light attacks that screws me up. Perhaps it might be more worth my while to try and link the first light attack into a cr.mk, that way I know I have hit a link and not a chain and therefore can safely use a special. However, I assume linking light attacks is something I should not put off, just learn it now rather than substituting it because of my laziness. Although, what is typically more practical mid-match?

Linking cr.mk for now would work well. This can help you learn to hit confirm your combos, and know whether or not you should go for a more damaging SRK or a fireball to create distance. The problem is that I don't think cr.lp ~ cr.mk is a true blockstring, so it's possible they can reversal that link if they're blocking.

So while your solution will work for now, it can never hurt to continue learning how to link your light attacks instead of chaining them. Any skill or tool that you can put under your belt will only help you land consistent wins. Plus using light attacks will not only help you hit confirm your combos, but it creates very little pushback, so that you're able to go for tick throws and frame traps with greater ease. Using cr.mk might push them far enough away where you're not going to be able to apply any mix-ups that you'll need in order to capitalize off of your knockdowns and cross-up attacks.
    Linking cr.mk for now would work well. This can help you learn to hit confirm your combos, and know whether or not you should go for a more damaging SRK or a fireball to create distance. The problem is that I don't think cr.lp ~ cr.mk is a true blockstring, so it's possible they can reversal that link if they're blocking.

So while your solution will work for now, it can never hurt to continue learning how to link your light attacks instead of chaining them. Any skill or tool that you can put under your belt will only help you land consistent wins. Plus using light attacks will not only help you hit confirm your combos, but it creates very little pushback, so that you're able to go for tick throws and frame traps with greater ease. Using cr.mk might push them far enough away where you're not going to be able to apply any mix-ups that you'll need in order to capitalize off of your knockdowns and cross-up attacks.

Simply awesome, thanks for all the help! As a newer person trying to get into the fgc scene, people like you really make it the process a lot more painless! :)
    SSF4 AE Mains:
    Adon/Cody
    Simply awesome, thanks for all the help! As a newer person trying to get into the fgc scene, people like you really make it the process a lot more painless! :)

Glad I could help. Starting off in the fighting game genre can be very intimidating and it's a pretty steep learning curve, so I'm just doing what I can to help usher new players into this genre and get them going on the right foot.

There's no shortage of info here on these forums. Many of the common questions that you'll want to ask have probably been answered in the FAQs and stickies in this section. If you can't find it there, then feel free to ask on the forums. There's no such thing as a stupid question if you've genuinely tried to look for the answer yourself.
  • FreakmonkeyFreakmonkey Draws Aminals Joined: Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    I've been really trying to iron out my flaws while playing and not missing as many opportunities to do damage/turn the tables as I am now. One thing that I'm a little annoyed by is dropping combos or flubbing up a block string. I know that I'm supposed to grind that stuff out in training mode, but I wanna know how other people do it.

So when you're practicing a combo and trying to nail the timing, do you just go non-stop until you can get it consistently, maybe taking a small break or two, or do you just have smaller sessions and get it more consistently over time?
    Plugs for shit coming soon...
  • A-LXA-LX Joined: Posts: 390
    What I do is set a goal for repetitions usually 15-20 sometimes 30 then keep going until I get X times in a row
    My Youtube Channel
    XBL/GFWL: MetsuGadoken
    I've been really trying to iron out my flaws while playing and not missing as many opportunities to do damage/turn the tables as I am now. One thing that I'm a little annoyed by is dropping combos or flubbing up a block string. I know that I'm supposed to grind that stuff out in training mode, but I wanna know how other people do it.

So when you're practicing a combo and trying to nail the timing, do you just go non-stop until you can get it consistently, maybe taking a small break or two, or do you just have smaller sessions and get it more consistently over time?

Practice your combo and blockstrings several times in a row. Around 10 times or more. If you're not getting the timing down, try to do your best to make small changes to your timing. Maybe you do the movements too quickly, too slowly, or you press the buttons a frame or two early or late. Don't just will your way and try to force yourself to learn a certain combo in a rigid fashion, be willing to change up your timing and motions until you find a way to do it consistently, and grind it out.

Of course, this gets tiresome and boring around the 15th or 20th time that you've tried it. So just take a break. Either practice something else, try to play some matches online, try out different characters, practice different setups. Do something different to break up the monotony and prevent you from getting bored and/or frustrated with your progress. Taking a step back and taking a breath, and trying that setup again at a later time, will actually help you develop muscle memory quicker as opposed to just doing it 500 times in a row without stopping.

Once you're able to perform that combo or blockstring ten times in a row without fail, you've probably got it down, and now you're ready to START applying that skill to your live matches. It won't transition perfectly during the heat of combat, but at least you'll have developed a comfortable base by nailing that motion during training mode, which makes it x10 easier to apply it consistently during your fights.

Rinse and repeat until you're Evo champ.
  • GAPGAP Joined: Posts: 59
    How do you do the teleport in SF4? I read that it was three punches and shoryuken, I know about the shoryuken but what does the the three punches mean?
    How do you do the teleport in SF4? I read that it was three punches and shoryuken, I know about the shoryuken but what does the the three punches mean?

Press all 3 punch buttons at the same time when you end your shoryuken motion. If you're having a pad, the 3 punches can be assigned to a single button to make life easier. If you're referring to Dhalsim's teleport, he can also use all 3 kick buttons to change where he ends up teleporting.
    Speaking of buttons, does really matter how strong, medium or light the punches and kicks are? I am not currently using a stick but you pretty much get the same result when you use them right?
    Speaking of buttons, does really matter how strong, medium or light the punches and kicks are? I am not currently using a stick but you pretty much get the same result when you use them right?

What? What do you mean? All buttons feel exactly the same, but when you purchase a stick, you normally have two different button layouts. One is the Japanese style, which is staggered to make each button press equidistant (since your fingers are of different lengths from one another), and the other layout is the American style, which is just the top and bottom bank of buttons are in a straight line.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but hopefully that clears it up.
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭

It matters cause the strength of the button that you use determines the speed and/or range of whatever special that you did... Ie light punches throw slow fireballs and heavy punches throw fast fireballs, light kicks throw short range hurricane kicks and heavy kicks hrow long range hurricane kicks.

If you are wondering if there is a differencehow hard you need to press the buttons from stick to pad and whether that makes a difference, no it doesnt. Fighting game inputs are generally digital and are simply on and off, not analog where the strength of a press determines the move to come out.

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • HelveticaHelvetica Bold. Joined: Posts: 175
    How do you do mash moves like Hands or Lightning Legs on a pad? (In my case, a regular 360 pad - the heavy buttons being on the right shoulder make it really.... impossible to piano or slide, I think.)
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 4,320 mod
    I guess you could remap the buttons so all the punches are on the face of the pad then use your right hand claw style, but that's not really ideal.

Honestly, the stock Xbox 360 pad is pure garbage for fighting games. If you're serious about playing and really against getting a stick, I'd at least upgrade to a Six button face style pad.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    How do you do mash moves like Hands or Lightning Legs on a pad? (In my case, a regular 360 pad - the heavy buttons being on the right shoulder make it really.... impossible to piano or slide, I think.)

It's difficult to perform those motions on a pad, for the very reasons that you just listed. This is generally why serious competitors prefer to play 6-button games on either an arcade stick or a pad with 6-buttons on the face + shoulder buttons.

I suppose you could just set the rear shoulder buttons to another punch or kick and attempt to slide your fingers to consistently perform mash motions. Like say you're trying to do Honda's hundred-hand slap (HHS). You need 5 inputs of any punch, in a row, with the 5th input being the strength of HHS that yuo desire. So you could set your right-rear shoulder button to another punch button. You slide your thumb across LP and MP, and then you slide your fingers across the HP and extra punch button, and then you press HP again with your finger to perform the motion (since Honda's only use fierce HHS). Is this difficult? Yes, but it's the only way I can see you doing it on a regular controller pad.
  • ichiban-ichiban- Joined: Posts: 58
    I'm trying to do the ryu trials in ae 2012. I'm having a hard time with Ryu's jumping HK, crouch HP, hadouken and ex focus. I'm having a hard time connecting the crouching HP with the hadouken. Any tips?
    cr.HP x Hadoken is a cancel. The best way to do is this:

:d:
    :hp:
    :df:
    :f:
    :hp:
    :mp::mk:

So you hold the down position, press HP, and then input the rest of the fireball motion without returning to the neutral position. You'll want to do the fireball motion after cr.HP fairly quickly. After you press the HP for the fireball, just press the focus attack button and let it go. That should clear that combo.

Later on when you want to focus dash cancel (FADC), I find it best to HOLD the focus button while inputting the dash, so that you don't accidentally release.
  • CelerityCelerity NEET Life Joined: Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess this would be the opposite problem from most people, but I've played on stick for almost all of my life and recently have needed to transition to pad because of wrist issues.

Anyway, I use stock PS2 pad and find annoyances like sometimes hcf (or even qcf) motions don't come out, even though it feels like I'm doing it the exact same way every time. Sometimes one of the diagonals simply doesn't register on the input display. Raw diagonals are also really hard to hit for stuff like Zangief SPD or games that are picky about where you end on SRK motions. Basically, diagonals diagonals diagonals.

Any advice (besides "play more") would be welcome, sometimes I wonder if there's something pad warriors know that I don't.
    (P4A) Chie :::: (BB) Rachel :::: (GG) I-No :::: (SSF4) Sakura :::: (INJ) Batgirl
  • BNIC CeasyBNIC Ceasy Grabbity Squeeze. Joined: Posts: 29
    Play the opposite of less. Go to training mode and practice crap while studying your inputs and adjust accordingly
  • JediLinkJediLink Has 100%'d Super Smash Bros Melee Joined: Posts: 719
    Are you using the D-Pad or the analogue stick?
    UMvC3: Zero/Dante/Hiryu and Wright/Akuma/Hiryu
    Melee and Project M: Marth
    There's no secret trick to it or anything like that. What I found helpful is applying firmer pressure to the d-pad. Sure, it builds one mean-ass callous on your thumb, but them's the breaks when you're set on playing on a pad. It helps to aim your thumb to hit the edges of the inside of the pad in order to ensure that you press both directional pads in order to get that diagonal. The PS2 pad is pretty god awul at this, since the d-pad is basically 4 separated switches with no base that connects to one another, which is going to make landing those diagonals hard until you get used to pressing down firmly on the inside edge of those pads.
  • CelerityCelerity NEET Life Joined: Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭
    There's no secret trick to it or anything like that. What I found helpful is applying firmer pressure to the d-pad. Sure, it builds one mean-ass callous on your thumb, but them's the breaks when you're set on playing on a pad. It helps to aim your thumb to hit the edges of the inside of the pad in order to ensure that you press both directional pads in order to get that diagonal. The PS2 pad is pretty god awul at this, since the d-pad is basically 4 separated switches with no base that connects to one another, which is going to make landing those diagonals hard until you get used to pressing down firmly on the inside edge of those pads.

Gotta say, this may sound like obvious advice, but this was extremely helpful to me. I started doing some of my combos by just jamming my thumb on the D-Pad and the inputs were much more consistent. I think this was my main problem, so I'll try to work on not letting my thumb relax as much. Thanks.
    (P4A) Chie :::: (BB) Rachel :::: (GG) I-No :::: (SSF4) Sakura :::: (INJ) Batgirl
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    since a thread was opened about 2x 2,3,6 motions, there is a difference which angle you use

I notice that when I have the stick on my lap, motions like this are harder to perform since the angles get smaller due to the height difference between the arms and the stick. Button presses are easier though, since you put more weight on the fingers and the arm can rest on the stick.

But when I have the stick on the desk on the height of my chest while sitting, motions are easier but on the other hand pressing buttons becomes more difficult due to the distance,the closer angle and the arm strain.
    it is like a PC mouse. It is more comfortable having it on the desk than beside your legs when you sit.

When playing on a pad or a keyboard you do not notice these differences at all, but on a stick you do.

Eg I tried a DF, DF punch super in KOF98 (Yuri character).
    I used a keyboard and a pad and with little effort I performed the super

When I tried the stick and had it on my lap, I had trouble performing it. It registered as DP instead. I had to be very precise, making sure that the stick touched the rim and didnt cross the input range. When I placed the stick on the desk, the motion became much easier.

This may be troublesome if you carry a stick and have to place it in different heights.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    I am really surprised with the amount of knowledge of this forum. I've just got the game and I am going to hit the x-box live soon. Thanks a lot for the help :)
    :):qcf::)
    Ok, I don't know if this is allowed to be posted here so if it is wrong, please let me know.

I've just followed your advice and the result was amazing. I thought that since I am able to hit all the specials, supers, ultra's of each character I was executing them right, well... WRONG

I put the imput display option on the training menu and I was moving the analog stick (x-box controller) like a madman lol I picked Balrog since you guys told me that a charge character is great to build up basic movement and knowledge of the game and really enyojed discovering his anti air (standing strong punch) I put the cpu on record and I practiced a lot (It felt good) :)

Anyway, WAY too much innecesarry joystick movement.

P.S: I've read that the x-box pad is just terrible for this game. Do you guys thing that a joystick helps with accuracy? I mean, I was doing the super and it is supposed to be just charge backwards, forward, backwards, forwards and punch and the reading was like quarter circle forward, quarter circle backwards and then two forwards followed by the punch. I can land it just fine but it feels so blunt and awkward :(
    Ok, I don't know if this is allowed to be posted here so if it is wrong, please let me know.

I've just followed your advice and the result was amazing. I thought that since I am able to hit all the specials, supers, ultra's of each character I was executing them right, well... WRONG

I put the imput display option on the training menu and I was moving the analog stick (x-box controller) like a madman lol I picked Balrog since you guys told me that a charge character is great to build up basic movement and knowledge of the game and really enyojed discovering his anti air (standing strong punch) I put the cpu on record and I practiced a lot (It felt good) :)

Anyway, WAY too much innecesarry joystick movement.

P.S: I've read that the x-box pad is just terrible for this game. Do you guys thing that a joystick helps with accuracy? I mean, I was doing the super and it is supposed to be just charge backwards, forward, backwards, forwards and punch and the reading was like quarter circle forward, quarter circle backwards and then two forwards followed by the punch. I can land it just fine but it feels so blunt and awkward :(

I'm glad to see you getting the hang of it. SF4 uses a lot of input shortcuts and very lenient timing on special moves, which is how you're able to perform all these moves without making any clean inputs.

Balrog's cr.fierce is also a very good anti-air. High damage too. Since Balrog spends a portion of his time charging down+back, it's helpful to learn how to use cr.fierce, since that way you won't lose your down charge.

Anyways. While the x-box pad isn't ideal for fighting games, you can still perform well with it, as long as you're willing to practice. Arcade sticks generally last longer than fighting game pads, are easy to mod and repair, and give better tactile feedback for left-hand motions, plus allows you to use a variety of fingers to press any button, which makes it easier to do certain advanced execution techniques.

But it's absolutely NOT necessary to use a stick if you want to play casual games, or even if you want to play in occasional tournaments. Use whatever you're comfortable with, be it pad or arcade stick.

The reason why you're not getting clean back-forward-back motions is because you're dragging your thumb down. So when you try to move back-forward-back, you end up sliding your thumb down before you move it, which is why you get the QCF and QCB motions. Be sure to keep your thumb in the middle of the d-pad while doing the motions.
    I'm glad to see you getting the hang of it. SF4 uses a lot of input shortcuts and very lenient timing on special moves, which is how you're able to perform all these moves without making any clean inputs.

I see, since a hadouken is down down/forward forward if I press half circle forward it still comes out because of the shortcuts and redundants imputs on the game :) and the same applies to the Violent Buffalo ultra since I follow all the corners but I still hit the back forward and what not.
    Balrog's cr.fierce is also a very good anti-air. High damage too. Since Balrog spends a portion of his time charging down+back, it's helpful to learn how to use cr.fierce, since that way you won't lose your down charge.

Yup, I noticed but it was more difficult to perform since I need to time it better I recorded a jump fierce punch with T.Hawk and if I take too long, he smashes me on the head :)
    Anyways. While the x-box pad isn't ideal for fighting games, you can still perform well with it, as long as you're willing to practice. Arcade sticks generally last longer than fighting game pads, are easy to mod and repair, and give better tactile feedback for left-hand motions, plus allows you to use a variety of fingers to press any button, which makes it easier to do certain advanced execution techniques. But it's absolutely NOT necessary to use a stick if you want to play casual games, or even if you want to play in occasional tournaments. Use whatever you're comfortable with, be it pad or arcade stick.

I noticed that since the joystick on the x-box is very small and kind of inaccurate, it is kind of hard to perform clean cut forward/back motions without hitting the corners but I practiced doing FADC forward and backwards and if I practice enough, I am pretty sure that I could only do the motions of the charge without going berserk on the imput arrows :) I will get a stick on the future since I love the game and would like to master it.
    The reason why you're not getting clean back-forward-back motions is because you're dragging your thumb down. So when you try to move back-forward-back, you end up sliding your thumb down before you move it, which is why you get the QCF and QCB motions. Be sure to keep your thumb in the middle of the d-pad while doing the motions.

That is some excellent advice :) I will break it down into parts and be sure to not slide it all the way back but only back/forward I will hit the practice room and return to report ;)

Thanks! You have helped a LOT
    I see, since a hadouken is down down/forward forward if I press half circle forward it still comes out because of the shortcuts and redundants imputs on the game :) and the same applies to the Violent Buffalo ultra since I follow all the corners but I still hit the back forward and what not.

Yup.
    Yup, I noticed but it was more difficult to perform since I need to time it better I recorded a jump fierce punch with T.Hawk and if I take too long, he smashes me on the head :)

Yeah, you'll just have to test out using a variety of anti-airs and timing. Some characters need to use a specific move to counter jump attacks depending on which attack comes out, and the spacing on it.
    I noticed that since the joystick on the x-box is very small and kind of inaccurate, it is kind of hard to perform clean cut forward/back motions without hitting the corners but I practiced doing FADC forward and backwards and if I practice enough, I am pretty sure that I could only do the motions of the charge without going berserk on the imput arrows :) I will get a stick on the future since I love the game and would like to master it.

It's not just that, the d-pad on the xbox controller is very floaty, and has like no feedback. It's great that you want to try out an arcade stick. Be aware that getting used to playing on an arcade stick will take quite some time to be comfortable with it. Anywhere from a few weeks to several months, depending on how much practice you put into it. It feels quite rewarding though.
    Hey you guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since it is the newbie thread and also the execution thread maybe it would be ok?

So, I am having problems doing a couple of things:

First: Charge characters specials into supers. Vison, Honda and Balrog (I land the combo holding back pre-jump and land the link which I think is *High punch, low medium, knee press, super") But I CANNOT connect the knee press with the super. Can you guys help me :(

Second: Dan's trial which is j.HP-S.HK-SUPER. I am not mashing but no matter how I try (I think :() The super always fails to connect.

Once again I am sorry if this is not the correct thread to post this.
    Hey you guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since it is the newbie thread and also the execution thread maybe it would be ok?

So, I am having problems doing a couple of things:

First: Charge characters specials into supers. Vison, Honda and Balrog (I land the combo holding back pre-jump and land the link which I think is *High punch, low medium, knee press, super") But I CANNOT connect the knee press with the super. Can you guys help me :(

Second: Dan's trial which is j.HP-S.HK-SUPER. I am not mashing but no matter how I try (I think :() The super always fails to connect.

Once again I am sorry if this is not the correct thread to post this.

You have to buffer the super motion. The special move input counts as the first "charge back, forward" motion of the super, then you just do another "back, forward + button) to do the super.

So for example, let's say you're Balrog, and you want to do the j.HK, cr.strong, dash punch combo. Basic 3-hit combo:

j.:hk: (charging back as soon as you start to jump)
    :db: :mp:
    :f: :lp: (dash punch)

Now, let's try doing it, but we'll cancel the dash punch into his super at the this time. it will sort of look like this:

:b:
    :f: :lp: (super crazy buffalo, or whatever the fuck you call it)

This is because part of the input for the dash punch counters towards doing his super. This principle works for all characters trying to do specials into supers.
    Now, let's try doing it, but we'll cancel the dash punch into his super at the this time. it will sort of look like this:

:b:
    :f: :lp: (super crazy buffalo, or whatever the fuck you call it)

Thanks, I will try it today and report back.

Regarding the J.HK-S.HPxxSUPER Dan's combo, do I buffer the double quarter as I am jumping, when the high punch animation is active or do I wait until the last moment and do the QCF+:lp: ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help :)
    Thanks, I will try it today and report back.

Regarding the J.HK-S.HPxxSUPER Dan's combo, do I buffer the double quarter as I am jumping, when the high punch animation is active or do I wait until the last moment and do the QCF+:lp: ?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help :)

That's actually an interesting question. I don't believe Dan has a :qcf: :hk: move, so that might actually work. Obviously, this requires some good timing on your part, because you have to perform the :d: :df: motion in the air, and then once you land, do :f: :hk: in a smooth motion. After that, you simply do another :qcf: + button to do the super. In theory, this should work.

Personally, I just do the super motion really fast, but I know how to do super motions pretty accurately due to experience.

:hk: :qcf: :qcf: + button

My recommendation is that if you're getting sloppy inputs, start off slow and work on accuracy. Once you're able to do it accurately without having to mash or do weird inputs, then you can start to build speed.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
    Thanks a lot, nailed all the special to super combos of the charges. Thanks! Now, those shoto sc.HK to supers are a different story :)
  • irl II Wilsonirl II Wilson Joined: Posts: 377
    im having problems doing dps from the 2p side in games like umvc3,sf3,sf2.
    anybody got some tips ?
    thanks in advance !
    [SIZE=14px]"I remind you of the things you were made to forget."[/SIZE]
    1) read the first post

2) go practice
  • John SupaJohn Supa Joined: Posts: 2
    I'm horrible at these games but thanks for the post.
  • razberryclownsacrazberryclownsac Shamooooooken Joined: Posts: 100
    Been practicing FADC and I can't quite get it consistently. Any tips that make it easier? In kens trials, I managed to FADC a few times by inputting 2xqcf and it seemed to dash cancel and buffer my ultra. I only did it a couple times, but it made me wonder. Is there a sort of "shortcut" or do I indeed have to dash then input my 2xqcf (or what ever move I want to do)?
    The most consistent way is to dash then do the input, imo.

Just practice more. Break it down in parts like suggested in the first post.