Purple Eyes Only: Juri Video Thread (Updated: 9-28-10)

Comments

• ZujiraZujira No Holds Barred Joined: Posts: 913
    That is sexy.
  • Nemesys_SyndromeNemesys_Syndrome What the?! Where?! Joined: Posts: 2,412
    Kailkun (Juri) vs illwill1979 (Ibuki)
  • ashapiroashapiro Joined: Posts: 5
    I found this group looking for match videos of Juri about thirty minutes ago. I read through the video thread, and I just wanted to urge you guys to continue.

It's very impressive how you've all gotten together to figure out out one character, and it looks to me like you're doing it the right way. I am not sure if this type of team-attack mentality is standard nowadays, but it seems exceptional to me. With everyone's focus on such a narrow subject (a single character), you're on pace to figure Juri out faster than the rest of the world. When they finally do catch up, you'll have the safety net of your near-clinical knowledge of the mirror.

What I enjoy even more about Team Juri, though, is that it employs the opportunities the internet provides so efficiently. For years, the internet has been a driving force of Street Fighter's popularity. I would argue that its influence is as important to the game's success as the quality of the game itself.

Where would we have been without alt.games.sf2? Street Fighter is only a relevant point of discussion if there are people who are discussing it. Newsgroups legitimized the game. It was that initial communication which provided a means for any player looking to improve their game to do so. The novice player could now piggyback on the expertise of an entire community of experts, and there was so much to gain that it opened the door for everyone. Players capitalized accordingly. In the years since, we have seen our game grow and flourish, with the coming and going of dominant tactics and dominant players seeing thoughtful and reflective discussion on various forums and in many languages. Each message board that followed being an extension of that original agsf2 newsgroup, as beyond any superficial variances they performed the same function to the player as the usenet.
    There are hundreds of these information hubs for our game, but they do not give us any real advantage greater than what has been available for over twenty years.

That we have been blessed with new tools of investigation goes without saying, but I think most will agree that the capacity for lag-free online play is the most crucial, going forward. Prior to five years ago, the single greatest advantage of internet access and groups like agsf2 for a serious player was its utility for finding other like-minded players - most specifically who lived nearby. Play sessions were set up in advance, and at best this could create lasting friendships as well as more-advanced players, because no one excels at competitive gaming without a lot of help.

I mention all of this because what all of you are doing strikes me as correct. Serious players have alway tried to gain an edge by exploiting every small advantage at their disposal, and in recent years the internet has made progress at an exponential rate, but as players we are more or less using it like we did five years ago. Of course players would make the jump into internet play sessions when they were made available, but that's only an extension of the physical meet-ups we've had access to for twenty years. Even with a large group of people, it's not any more exciting than practice. I don't think that's what you guys are doing, though.

You are different in that you all play the same character, and you do it over the internet; I don't think I can overstate how unique that is to my mind.

I did the bulk of my playing before online play was an option. When I remember a group bootstrapping each other up into tournament-winning players I remember crowded rooms and much cursing the throwing of physical joysticks into physical walls. I never even considered the merits of large-group, long-term mirror-matching. An actual, local group of players wouldn't have interest in learning the same character, for reasons we can all understand. Even if free will wasn't an issue, the whole charade would be detrimental to the SF-group as a whole. The more everyone plays the same character, the less prepared they are for every other character. It may have been possible for a group of tangible players to playtest so narrowly, it would be a slow and awkward way to learn the game.

However, and is if by magic, that same group of players were scattered out and only played online, and if there was a large pool of online players apart from this group, they could have the same matches as the physical players and be rewarded for their efforts in a fraction of the time. This is not feasible without random, online matchmaking. Because while there has always been the wherewithal for a "Team Juri," it has no value as an isolated group. As a niche in a vast pool of players, all playing RIGHT NOW, though, it seems rather peerless for efficiency. A team of players all playing the same character will probably be very proficient at that character, no doubt, but most likely very deficient in defending against what everyone else will be doing. Why go so far out of your way to shoot yourself in the foot? Clearly, if one's goal is to practice and one is confined to a small group of opponents, one might prefer a certain diversity to those opponents.

Team Juri, by itself, would fail as an experiment. I agree with myself on that point. But I am very excited at the notion of "Team Juri" as the CONTROL GROUP of a much larger exercise. After that same hundred or so Juri vs. Juri battles, the control group can disband to uncover the wealth of data in those variables afforded by random, online matchmaking. This instant random element was simply not possible until very recently, and it is superlative at drawing the conclusions necessary for such character-specific roundtabling to be worthwhile. Without access to those thousands of other players, any conclusions a player could draw from "Team Juri" would only be scientifically relevant in the mirror, which is the only match-up anyone in the group could feel confident in. With an internet, we can really have the best of both worlds.

It looks like I am rambling a bit, and I really don't expect anyone to share this same enthusiasm for the subject matter. I am surprised by joy at your team for having demonstrated an efficiency of scientific method, and particularly for the novelty of it being a mutation of the environment that legitimized your experiment. The merits for it would have been less than marginal in 1999, but we've come a long way.

There are so many things in this world that are changing all the time, and yet people tend to stay the same. This is probably to our advantage as people; but in the short-term of competition, the one to adapt fastest gains a certain leverage against the field as a whole, and I think this project of yours agrees with the spirit of that idea. If you guys keep it up, my theory is that it's going to carry you very far.

Of course, if this is the only post your team thread ever sees, then no one has gained anything. Here's hoping Team Juri keeps it together for a while, as there is so much to be gained from it. It's hard work and will require a lot of communication from everyone in your group, but I'd love to see it prove successful. I believe it to be a brave demonstration of what is newly possible for us as a community of players, though it demands a critical level of thoroughness on the part of its principals. It will most likely fall apart before the bargain is honored, but you're doing a good thing for yourselves that I don't think has been done before. There's something to be said for that.

Good luck.
  • kirbykillerFTWkirbykillerFTW Joined: Posts: 26
    ashapiro attacks Juri with "Wall of text" K O

Uh... Don't really know what to say.
    I AM THAT GUY
  • bttp9999bttp9999 Joined: Posts: 103
    Just say thanks. It's a compliment saying that he enjoys how the way you guys have set up project "Team Juri" is being executed via scientific method, even if you guys didn't think or know about what that was in the first place.
  • ShigegakiShigegaki じゅりさんが Joined: Posts: 185
    lol wow.
    SSFIVAE2012: Ryu / Gen
  • ShakuganShakugan Joined: Posts: 693
    Juri Armor cancels:

This is some key shit right here. this will be a big help to everyone.

@ashapiro: Thanks man
    I represent South Jersey
  • Aya FentaraAya Fentara Joined: Posts: 7
    Juri Armor cancels:

Time to practice that in the lab. That second vid was something that seems like it might take a little to get semi-consistent.
    Team Juri is great.
  • MienaikageMienaikage Mitarashi Dango: Data Devourer Joined: Posts: 263
    Its unlikely that you'll pull off what's in the 2nd vid consistently because the timing has to be frame perfect, first vid stuff is easy enough though.
  • Evil0UnstakabulEvil0Unstakabul DRF DoomNeto Joined: Posts: 570
    @ashapiro: thanks man. We try hard. Work hard,play hard. :o

-waits for random sexual comment from D3v-
    Juri Armor cancels:

I was trying this earlier but ended up using her ex.counter and negates one fireball and she goes up while the second goes past. I recorded it, just need to upload it.
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    Its unlikely that you'll pull off what's in the 2nd vid consistently because the timing has to be frame perfect, first vid stuff is easy enough though.

Does it have to be the EX version of the counter to "parry" the 2nd hit? I'm going to assume yes at the moment because regular counters are 3f startup while ex is 1f startup but you have any idea how ground breaking it would be if she could parry multi-hitting moves then punish immediately afterwards.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879
    Juri Armor cancels:

HOLY SHIT.

Speaking technically here, what is that? Kasatushi Kara EX Kasatushi?
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
  • Arkayne17Arkayne17 Stop it meg. Joined: Posts: 2,857
    HA! I had a feeling she had some of those armor cancels. : D
    @ArtofArkayne
    Character Designer / Concepter Artist / Illustrator
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Massive Link Dump

Warning: Wall of text & Massive Link dump ahead.

@ ashapiro - I think "Team Juri" is in its infancy right now. Most of it (right now) is just random playdates for people to get some matches in ala practice like you said. If all the energy put into it can be harnessed properly we could be able to setup some cool things for example, Team Juri vs Team Guy matches. 4 v 4 Juri vs Guy. I'm going to be redundant but imagine 4 different Juri players against 4 different Guy players. Lotta potential to learn that matchup. Each week could be a different matchup. While saying it and implementing it are two different things. I guess its like you said it could lead to some great things.

Here are 11 out of the 18 recorded matches from the Juri training sessions. Still uploading the rest.

01 - scherzo_ (GUY) vs PC1X1 (JUR) http://youtu.be/JxmVW8ReFrg?a
    02 - scherzo_ (GUY) vs kevinc92 (CAM) http://youtu.be/JumQCKCt4WQ?a
    03 - kevinc92 (CAM) vs KingZeal (JUR) http://youtu.be/kd7XKOSSns0?a
    04 - KingZeal (JUR) vs Gsynth (VEG) http://youtu.be/MFpv1BgbziY?a
    05 - Gsynth (VEG) vs NotEggroll (JUR) http://youtu.be/DeJgU1NqwC8?a
    06 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs PC1X1 (JUR) http://youtu.be/cL7YXtO5Xtc?a
    07 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs SiNCERETheGreat (ABE) http://youtu.be/FA-KrqCTbbg?a
    08 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs scherzo_ (GUY) http://youtu.be/4uWt9K1i_Hg?a
    09 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs justcallmeehx (CAM) http://youtu.be/mF3-AHbrcfw?a
    10 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs KingZeal (JUR) http://youtu.be/gIXag_AG4jE?a
    11 - NotEggroll (JUR) vs Gsynth (VEG) http://youtu.be/mR3OGXvfHd4?a

Random tangent, how do you perform the armor cancel?
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,545
    I'm not logging onto my Super right now, but I'm willing to bet you can Kara cancel Kasatsushi into Kaisen Dankairaku and maybe get an FSE combo off it.
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • MAGUS1234MAGUS1234 walk forward Joined: Posts: 3,993
    theres a easy way to get armor cancels, or at least to see them. With gief I would try set ups of ex rbg into ultra but couldnt get it, what I found was that if you record something like meaty akuma demonflip divekick or chun meaty flip kick you can do them easier, possible cause the reversal window lets you do the move early then it comes out on the first available frame, then you can mash the second move you want to cancel it with.
    I came to Keystone II and all I got was DP'd.
  • fnshrfnshr Joined: Posts: 299
    Im guessing you all knew that you could direct Juri's Upwards EX counter move forward or backwards ? Or am i just late lol ?
    Im guessing you all knew that you could direct Juri's Upwards EX counter move forward or backwards ? Or am i just late lol ?

Your a lil late on that one man lol. ill start adding these videos shortly
    I represent South Jersey
    :wasted: lol
    I Failed :rofl:
  • ShogunFlowShogunFlow Stream Warrior Joined: Posts: 801
    Juri players, I'm also on PSN so make sure to add me. I think Team Juri vs. Team *insert character* is an excellent idea.
    Jay Illestrate - Regular Cat Records - Psychedelic Hip Hop Music
    [SSF2T] Chun
    [VSav] Morrigan/Bishamon
    [MvC2] MSP
    [UMvC3] Morrigan/Storm/Akuma
    [SFV] Karin/Cammy/Laura
    what, and i didnt get no invite nah ? :bluu:

lol
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    Juri Armor cancels:

Can you go into details how this is performed. I can't get even the simple one to even work.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
    Use EX counter, buffer the move you want then as soon as the fireball makes contact with Juri, press the appropriate button. As you would expect, the timing on it is pretty tight.
    added colors soo what do ya think.
    I represent South Jersey
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Apparently justin wong played juri in the las vegas nationals recently dose anybody know if there is footage of this?
    Hey Shakugan, I hope this helps you when you organize videos. I just deleted the other video posts I had made and threw them into one.

[Abel]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs TheArkayne(Abel)

[Cody]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Random(Cody)

[Dudley]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Orionstars (Dudley)

[Guy]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Scherzo_ (Guy)

[Juri]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs MikeG(Juri)

Shigegaki(Juri) vs KingZeal(Juri)

[Vega]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Csynth(Vega)

[Misc]

Shigegaki(Juri) EX Counter against EX Fireball Spam
    If you guys want to get some Juri vs. Sakura videos, let me know. I'm pretty decent with Sakura and would like to see how this matchup plays out.
    [SSF2T] Chun
    [VSav] Morrigan/Bishamon
    [MvC2] MSP
    [SFV] Karin/Cammy/Laura
    Hey Shakugan, I hope this helps you when you organize videos. I just deleted the other video posts I had made and threw them into one.

[Abel]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs TheArkayne(Abel)

[Cody]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Random(Cody)

[Dudley]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Orionstars (Dudley)

[Guy]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Scherzo_ (Guy)

[Juri]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs MikeG(Juri)

Shigegaki(Juri) vs KingZeal(Juri)

[Vega]

Shigegaki(Juri) vs Csynth(Vega)

[Misc]

Shigegaki(Juri) EX Counter against EX Fireball Spam

Yes that helps alot lol
    I represent South Jersey
  • kirbykillerFTWkirbykillerFTW Joined: Posts: 26
    I have a good few videos from last night uploaded. I wasn't able to record every match because i forgot while watching the fights.

Anyway check these out

Me and General Vivi had some good games last night imo.

(Me) vs (General Vivi)
    I have 4 videos of us fighting, instead of posting them all i just put links in all the videos.

(General Vivi) vs (SRKilley)

(SRKilley) vs (ShogunFlow)

(General Vivi) vs (ShakuLightning)

(SRKilley) vs (DullestWord)

(Me) vs (SRKilley)

(Me vs (ShakuLightning)
    I AM THAT GUY
  • AtrainAtrain Tournament training Joined: Posts: 668
    Juri safe jump on sagat.... it works on adon too, but we need an os for if he does the flip kick,

http://www.youtube.com/user/clannadnagisa01#p/a/u/0/QHYvipbrzqw
  • RyugaRyuga Emperor Time Joined: Posts: 3,322
    My shitty Juri again, a mirror between another Juri on my friends list: Quality's a bit better, but still ghetto.
    If you guys want to get some Juri vs. Sakura videos, let me know. I'm pretty decent with Sakura and would like to see how this matchup plays out.

I can vouch for his sakura. played it many times in vanilla. :)
    Me vs. T.Hawk

Me vs. Sim

Wow those matches between Valle and FloE were very good. I didn't think her Super was as good as he made it look, maybe I should add it into my game.
    I thought the same thing,we all need to learn not to wakeup ex pinwheel as much.lol. must learn her footsies and different wakeup options.
    Here you go folks. Hopefully I didnt forget anything.

@Zuji , I love her super. I use that shit ALOT.
    @ArtofArkayne
    Good shit Arkayne. I haven't had too much trouble fighting Blanka but I did learn a few things.

Man, it seems like every day I learn something new with Juri.
    [SSF2T] Chun
    [VSav] Morrigan/Bishamon
    [MvC2] MSP
    [SFV] Karin/Cammy/Laura
  • Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,458
    If you want some Dan matches I'd be up for recording. Even though I play Juri I'm not sure what to do against her with my Dan. But I'm up for it.
    Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

The answer to your question is no.
  • RyugaRyuga Emperor Time Joined: Posts: 3,322
    ^
    That's weird, lemme link them again.

(vs Cody)

(vs Dudley)

(vs Guy)

(vs Juri)

• bbq saucebbq sauce Joined: Posts: 754

A ghetto little video I did to show Juri's fuzzy guard set up. I didn't find much when I searched this forum on it.. It seems relatively unsafe, which may be the case, but, figured I'd share for anyone who might not know.

Note: I don't play Juri, so those that do may be able to find better application with it.
    See, the problem is that you guys play Street Fighter solely for tournaments and competition with other players, but that is only one small aspect of fighting games.
    ~Playcircus
    The fuzzy guard string works much better with j.RH into J.Strong-> divekick. There was a video of it on the SRK front page some time ago.
    @ArtofArkayne
    I didnt know that Juri had alot answers for blanka. good stuff! c.mp and s.mp stuffs blanka balls. :D and ex blanka balls timed right!
  • bbq saucebbq sauce Joined: Posts: 754
    The fuzzy guard string works much better with j.RH into J.Strong-> divekick. There was a video of it on the SRK front page some time ago.

Ah, I don't actually play Juri I just saw the length f her j.fierce and assumed you could fuzzy with it.
    See, the problem is that you guys play Street Fighter solely for tournaments and competition with other players, but that is only one small aspect of fighting games.
    ~Playcircus
    Ah, I don't actually play Juri I just saw the length f her j.fierce and assumed you could fuzzy with it.

Oh ok , well im sure you can with that sure looks like it to me. But thanks
    @ArtofArkayne
    Myself practicing The Ex Teleport Cancel into super.
  • G18G18 Joined: Posts: 96
    Ex counter to super? ^

1337 hax0rz on t3h xbl?

Otherwise whats the point?
    Ex counter to super? ^

1337 hax0rz on t3h xbl?

Otherwise whats the point?
    To punish close range fireballs. you can actually do it in a match. i switched it to max start and i was able to do it