Part 0: Frames, Cancels, Links 7:12

Part 1: Zoning 4:16

Part 2: Knockdown & Wakeup 8:02

Part 3: Adapting and playing solid 9:59

Part 4: Basic Mix-up Ryu 4:33

"3-Minute-Fundamentals" by Lord of Ultima

Part 1: Hit Confirming 3:17

Part 2: Option Selects 3:45
SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

Chars: El Fuerte & Sagat

Comments

• BlueCloudBlueCloud Joined: Posts: 143
    Very nice tutorial. I thought the explanation of chains, links, and cancels was very good and that's probably the most difficult concept for beginners to understand. The only criticism I would have is that that part is introduced a bit early in the tutorial. I think anyone who's learning something in the first 4 minutes is going to be completely lost in the last 6 minutes. Still, a very nice tutorial. I'll be watching for the next one.
  • Kelter SkelterKelter Skelter Joined: Posts: 2,830
    Doesn't help that fighting games never have tutorials. The challenge mode in Super4 has combos you can only perform in the corner but, they don't tell you that. A moderate player will know right away from the way it whiffs that you have to hit it in the corner but, a newbie will never have that epiphany.

Good job on making a basic video but, that's a lot to take in at once. You should include a transcript or just some bullet points so they can use it to "study" the things they have learned(EX. -Learn the range of your Normals).
    grapsf.com
  • dskydsky Joined: Posts: 13
    Enjoyed the video. I'm glad someone is taking the time to explain certain combos and slowing the video examples down.

Looking forward to the newest edition.
  • SpARelentlessSpARelentless Joined: Posts: 35
    Next time you make such a video, prepare a transcript. The "uuh" every 3 secs gets very tedious to listen to.

The description about chaining isn't entirely right. You can also chain different normal moves together as long as they're... well, chainable :P eg cr.LK cr.LP with shotos is also a chain.

Also, the ending came a bit abrupt. "If you're lazy just look up what combos for your character there arethank you for watching". That felt a bit weird.

Other than that, nice job and good effort.
  • TBirdSF4TBirdSF4 Joined: Posts: 115
    Thanks for all the feedback! :pleased:
    You should include a transcript or just some bullet points so they can use it to "study" the things they have learned(EX. -Learn the range of your Normals).

That is a very good idea, I will include that for the next part. :smile:
    Next time you make such a video, prepare a transcript. The "uuh" every 3 secs gets very tedious to listen to.

Absolutely, audio parts with "uuh" should be re-recorded. I will try to improve the audio quality further next time.
    The description about chaining isn't entirely right. You can also chain different normal moves together as long as they're... well, chainable :P eg cr.LK cr.LP with shotos is also a chain (can be done as a link as well ofc).

Ok, I didn't know that :blush:
    Also, the ending came a bit abrupt. "If you're lazy just look up what combos for your character there arethank you for watching". That felt a bit weird.

Yes, the problem was that I calculated with a 6-7 minute video and suddenly had hit the 10 minute upload limit for youtube. I really did not want to split the video just to add my 60 second outro, but now I see it would have made more sense to do 2 parts.

Generally speaking, I will take more time for the next part to get it 100% right. Since these videos turn out to be more work than I expected, I wanted to check first if there is a actually any demand for these kind of tutorials.
    SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

• Possum Hill KidPossum Hill Kid Joined: Posts: 297
    Doesn't help that fighting games never have tutorials. The challenge mode in Super4 has combos you can only perform in the corner but, they don't tell you that. A moderate player will know right away from the way it whiffs that you have to hit it in the corner but, a newbie will never have that epiphany.

BlazBlue collector's edition had a bonus dvd with tutorials and walkthroughs from players. I know that Super was only 40 bucks and packed with tons of stuff, so maybe the tutorial mode got lost in the shuffle. When you talk to people about Street Fighter, a lot of them pass on the game because they say it's too difficult and no one wants to help a novice player level up. Having competent a built in tutorial/dojo mode would remedy that problem.

But truth be told, you level up faster when you play against players in person that are better than you who are willing to push you to become better.
    Clem: First thing you wanna do is gouge the dude's eyes out.
    Luther: Hey, its just kids in high school.
    Clem: Oh. So you're gonna want to fight dirty
  • Possum Hill KidPossum Hill Kid Joined: Posts: 297
    By the way, TbirdSF4, nice video. Keep up the good work--there's definitely a demand for tutorials for newer players.
    Clem: First thing you wanna do is gouge the dude's eyes out.
    Luther: Hey, its just kids in high school.
    Clem: Oh. So you're gonna want to fight dirty
  • Cata-KaiCata-Kai Joined: Posts: 35
    Really great tutorial! Can't wait to see the next one!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Awesome work, and highly appreciated by the noobies out there (like me). And I found your "Ummms" to be fine - English isn't your first language, so it's to be expected!
  • NVONVO Joined: Posts: 2
    Nice tutorial. Just got my copy of SSF4 for the 360 today. Excited to start playing
  • gigabytegigabyte Joined: Posts: 566
    Would you able to make one for ssf4?
  • KooperKooper Need a dispenser here! Joined: Posts: 2,069 mod
    Very nice start, I appreciate the effort you're putting forth, and I look forward to seeing you improve on your future videos! Here's some things I would say to work on:

-Perhaps start at an even MORE basic level. I think you did well to explain some concepts, but even they were a bit high for someone who JUST hit the start button. My advice would be to try and get into the mind of the beginner. Pretend that you've never even see a fighter before perhaps... Though I guess it threatens to become TOO basic you may turn people away, I believe you'll have to leave it to your digression in the end.

-Have a basic set script/plan of action. As others have said having a script and an very good plan of action on what to talk about is very important. Be careful not to kill yourself reading something word for word though, or else you might risk sounding boring, which would be terrible.

-Diagrams were actually very nice! A bit basic looking but they got the job done. I really like the Linking/canceling diagrams using time as a reference point, very cool.

-Probably my biggest "problem" is that you need to get more editing in there! Maybe upgrade your mic, include more editing to have a more polished product. Things like transition effects, light background music when you're talking (or none at all during important explination parts), music during the gameplay segments (this is important for people who like to 'hear' combos like RSF, which I think you can appreciate as someone who plays Fuerte like myself). Instead of sitting on a static image of the SF4 logo try to be a bit more creative while also being informative. You have the whole forums and the wiki as a source to "translate" the information as you said, but what will really get people to pay attention will ultimately be the overall presentation and what they think of the quality.

By the way, I find your accent pretty cool, your English is understandable but it's obviously not your first language :lol: "As a rule of thump" hehehe. Keep making videos and you might end up as the next Chris Hu.

Here's an example of someone who does some game related videos with some very good editing:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rinrygamegame

Take a look through her videos, don't focus on the topics, but instead on how the information is being presented (along with the many video cuts, background music changes, text, transitions and timing, ect) and you'll see what I mean.

Really hope this helps, and I hope to see you improve in the future! Cheers!
    Update:

Part 2: EX-Moves is up!

Would you able to make one for ssf4?

This guide is intended to be for SSF4. All the things I show work in Street Fighter 4 as well as in Super Street Fighter 4.
    You have the whole forums and the wiki as a source to "translate" the information as you said, but what will really get people to pay attention will ultimately be the overall presentation and what they think of the quality.

First of all thanks for your constructive feedback :tup:You are right about the audio quality, I ran the audio through a compressor, a de-esser and some noicecancelling tools and I think the result is much better this time.
    While I admit that there is lots of room for improvement on the technical side, I have a different philosophy when it comes to teaching.

What I want to do with these videos is to teach people the basic mechanics of Street Fighter so they will stay interested in the game and help grow the community. My goal is neither to be very entertaining nor visually very impressing. First and foremost the information has to be correct and structured and help people to get better.

I myself use professional video tutorials from video2brain.com to learn all kinds of software and I absolutely like the no-nonsense approach. Just a video of the desktop and a guy talking helps me to learn the fastest. If they would start to introduce background music, I would immediately stop buying from them.

I am sorry to say that, but sometimes I have the feeling that Youtube really overdoes it and people are more interested in having the latest and coolest Hip-Hop song along with flashy animation in their video than to actually get their point across.
    In a nutshell: Better audio quality ? Yes. Better diagrams and video effects ? Absolutely. A flashy multimedia presentation, because the average teen is lacking the ability to listen for 7 minutes ? No.

• KooperKooper Need a dispenser here! Joined: Posts: 2,069 mod
    In a nutshell: Better audio quality ? Yes. Better diagrams and video effects ? Absolutely. A flashy multimedia presentation, because the average teen is lacking the ability to listen for 7 minutes ? No.

Fair enough, just don't forget who your target audience actually is. Just a different approach, it's fine. :tup: You just know that if it did have all which I said it would reach a wider audience, which I felt was your goal since it is aimed for beginners, you know what I mean? However I also see the point of no frills.

As a tutor/teacher, when I am teaching/tutoring students in a particular subject matter, I always make it entertaining to make concepts stick better. However when it comes to SF, it's towards an audience who wants to learn the information, so I'm going to assume perhaps it may not be necessary, hm.
  • stephenc87stephenc87 Joined: Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot for these videos. They are helping me try make more sense of things :)
  • KonKlingonKonKlingon Machine Gun Blow!! Joined: Posts: 19
    very nice tutorials , beginners will defiantly love this
    MVC:Ironman,Taskmaster,Dormammu
    SSF4:Dudley,Vega
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDarkHadou514?feature=mhum
  • RyanMacRyanMac Joined: Posts: 26
    Subscribed. I hope you keep these up. It's going to be a very valuable tool for a newb like me.
    Nice tutorial. I'm a beginner to SSFIV and these videos have been very helpful in getting me up to speed. I look forward to future releases. ^^
    As a tutor/teacher, when I am teaching/tutoring students in a particular subject matter, I always make it entertaining to make concepts stick better. However when it comes to SF, it's towards an audience who wants to learn the information, so I'm going to assume perhaps it may not be necessary, hm.

I understand what you mean, if I would teach i.e. a calculus class which half of my students dislike, I would be worried about that point as well. But right now, I really believe that it is possible for someone to listen for 10 minutes and then go on to play the game for entertainment on his Xbox.

Added to this there is simply the problem of time and effort it would take for me to create a video with better "presentation". My video editing skills are only basic and I'd rather spend my time releasing more information than to polish a single video for a month.

• DeltaOneEightDeltaOneEight Joined: Posts: 5
    Thanks Tbird for the tutorial, it was very helpful for a newbie like me!
  • SudsSuds Joined: Posts: 7
    Thank you for the videos. I like the no frills approach. Kept me interested.
  • SonnyducksSonnyducks Joined: Posts: 34
    Nice. Just joined the forum today after lurking all week and this is good stuff. Thanks TBird.
    Part 3 is out! :smile:

Topic:
    Super & Gauge Management

• stephenc87stephenc87 Joined: Posts: 5
    Part 3 is out! :smile:

Topic:
    Super & Gauge Management

This new one was useful too, I never thought about trying to hold back with my ultra so I wouldn't charge the enemy's super guage :) I always just fire it out as soon as I get an opening.
    One of these days I will get a win streak lol.
  • RuisuRuisu Joined: Posts: 54
    I'm really liking the tutorials. Thanks a lot and keep them coming.
  • Ang ColetteAng Colette Joined: Posts: 8
    As a beginner, I would like to thank you TBirdSF4. These guides are awesome, and actually makes you want to get better at the game. Please keep them coming
    I don't know if this forum has any type of karma or rewards for helpful users, but TBird deserves it if they exist. His videos have been amazingly helpful for me.
    Part 4 is ready :pleased:

The Power of Buffering

Release of new videos will be a bit slower from now on since I have some RL stuff to do, but I will keep adding additional parts. As always, if any pro players have corrections, don't hesitate to comment, I can correct mistakes in future parts :chat:

That video about buffering was particularly interesting to me... I never knew about the shortcuts or buffering. Makes life so much easier...

On a side note, if anyone wants a laugh, activate the TRANSCRIBE AUDIO (BETA) feature on YouTube. :looney:
  • Zabuza0fTheMistZabuza0fTheMist Joined: Posts: 65
    Thanks man those vids were really good and helped me out loads
    SONIC BOOM!!!
  • Puppet_DoctorPuppet_Doctor Joined: Posts: 42
    Thanks for these tutorials they have been very beneficial to me. I also like that you actually speak during the tutorial rather then having to read. It makes it easier to understand and more user friendly. Keep up the good work.
  • JammyBooJammyBoo I am Shiva. Joined: Posts: 151
    The tutorials are very good. Though, in relation to the buffering video, the DP shortcut isn't df, df, it's df, d, df. The game will recognise any forward, any down and any forward motion as a dragon punch. So you could do uf, db, f and get a DP. But you need 3 inputs, not just two.

Though, this is inconsequential nitpicking. Good stuff. :tup:
    The DP shortcut isn't df, df, it's df, d, df. The game will recognise any forward, any down and any forward motion as a dragon punch. So you could do uf, db, f and get a DP. But you need 3 inputs, not just two.

Though, this is inconsequential nitpicking. Good stuff. :tup:

Hm, I am unhappy :annoy: I don't like mistakes in my videos and you seem to be correct.

I got my information originally from Eventhubs
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/04/shortcut-motions-shoryukens-dragon-punches-street-fighter-4/#comments
    and they explicitly state df, df as shortcut (along with df,d,df).

However, with input display turned on, SF4 always seems to add a down input automatically (even when I tested with my computer keyboard o.O). It's almost impossible for me to get a quick df, df without any added inputs in between, so that's probably why it's been working for me for such a long time.

Weird... :confused:

• JammyBooJammyBoo I am Shiva. Joined: Posts: 151
    However, with input display turned on, SF4 always seems to add a down input automatically (even when I tested with my computer keyboard o.O). It's almost impossible for me to get a quick df, df without any added inputs in between, so that's probably why it's been working for me for such a long time.
    Yeah, I think that you have to be hyper precise to get df, df without a d in the middle. So realistically the shortcut works, you sorta have to go from df to d to go back to the second df. So in a roundabout way you're correct.

Though, I wasn't trying to be like, "YOU'RE WRONG YOU SUCK" I was more just pointing something small out. :sweat:
    I've gotta say, these tutorials are, simply put, awesome. I'm not a beginner, and I learned some things from them myself. Keep up the great work, TBird.
  • DanderDander dander Joined: Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭
    Thongboy bebop is back with another screen name maybe? Don't forget you still owe me forty bucks.
    Excuse the prolixity. I cater to all and few all at once. Sorry ahead of time.
  • verdisQUOverdisQUO Joined: Posts: 22
    Having a hard time pulling off the Hadoken into Super Hadoken.

You say QCF, HP and then another QCF, HP since the game remembers the first input. But in my case, it seems like the game forgets and nothing happens. You reckon this is a timing thing?
    Having a hard time pulling off the Hadoken into Super Hadoken.

You say QCF, HP and then another QCF, HP since the game remembers the first input. But in my case, it seems like the game forgets and nothing happens. You reckon this is a timing thing?

Yes, it needs to be very fast, basically it's as fast as you do the ultra, you only hit a punch button in between the two QCFs.
    For visual example of what the execution looks like, check this video:

At the end of trial 19 there is Hadoken->Super and you can see the motion of the player's hand on the fightstick.

• Puppet_DoctorPuppet_Doctor Joined: Posts: 42
    Hm, I am unhappy :annoy: I don't like mistakes in my videos and you seem to be correct.

I got my information originally from Eventhubs
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/04/shortcut-motions-shoryukens-dragon-punches-street-fighter-4/#comments
    and they explicitly state df, df as shortcut (along with df,d,df).

Weird... :confused:

This is just a suggestion if you haven't done so already but you can put in an annotation at the part where you explain the Shoryrukens shortcut to correct your mistake.
    This is just a suggestion if you haven't done so already but you can put in an annotation at the part where you explain the Shoryrukens shortcut to correct your mistake.

Oh, very good idea, thank you :tup:

• rattlejawrattlejaw Whiffing Karakusa. Joined: Posts: 196
    These vids are great, TBird. I've been spreading the love to some SF newbies on another forum I post to. Much appreciated.
    SSF4: self-hating Makoto; Claw
  • SonnyducksSonnyducks Joined: Posts: 34
    TBird. (pat-pat). That was me patting you on the back. Video #4 is great!
    Yes, it needs to be very fast, basically it's as fast as you do the ultra, you only hit a punch button in between the two QCFs.

At the end of trial 19 there is Hadoken->Super and you can see the motion of the player's hand on the fightstick.

Just saw this. Pretty good, and I definitely have to build up some dexterity in my left hand to swing the stick like that. I'm not really, but I can be better. Perhaps some execution drills on movement and hadokens are in order.

Also gave me some insight on how to hold the stick to pull some of these moves off. Thanks for the link.

Just saw this. Pretty good, and I definitely have to build up some dexterity in my left hand to swing the stick like that. I'm not really, but I can be better. Perhaps some execution drills on movement and hadokens are in order.

Also gave me some insight on how to hold the stick to pull some of these moves off. Thanks for the link.
    Looking at the vid again, there seems to be a rhythm into inputting the commands, and once you learn that, things should fall into place.
    Man, video #4 has been a huge, huge help to me. I had already suspected some of the attributes of buffering with this game, since executing certain things in Trials required inputting commands in a way I was already used to with Soul Calibur II. But breaking it down the way you do in your video makes things a lot more comprehensive.

Big thanks!
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone make sure to nominate the first post for an article so it makes it to the front page, and it gets all the exposure and views it deserves

e$ports