Basic Video Tutorial/Guide for Total Beginners for SSF4

Comments

• Wu-RenegadeWu-Renegade Joined: Posts: 171
    Yo thanks alot for these videos. Could you make a tutorial for blocking? Or could just anyone help me with blocking. There is no use for me being able to do plenty of combos if I can't even block. This annoys me...
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    great post

As a newbie myself i really appreciate this sort of tutorial since it's not really included in the game. THANKS.:tup:
    Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
    www.zstar.hk
    WWW.TIGERSUPERMALL.COM
  • TBirdSF4TBirdSF4 Joined: Posts: 115
    Part 5: Understanding Hyperarmor is up!
    :bgrin:

Shout-out to Kooper for stickying this thread :tup:
    SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

Chars: El Fuerte & Sagat
    Well, I think I may have spoke too soon. I tried to tinker with the buffering techniques mentioned in your Part 4 video, but I had little success. There were some, like c.mk > Hurricane Kick, that come out easily, but I had a hard time stringing together most others.

Just to be clear, you can only buffer inputs for a special out of a normal, super out of special, ultra out of super? Or could I buffer inputs for an ultra out of a normal or special?

Thanks
    First of all, don't be impatient :smile: Watching a video will in no way enable you to automatically to perform a combo, sometimes you need weeks or months of training for that

And I think you are confusing things. There is a difference between buffering and comboing. Yes, you can buffer an Ultra in a normal move or a special move but you will need to a) input the complete motion with all inputs and b) it will not combo! For example you can buffer the motion (without PPP) of Ken's Ultra while he performs a hurricane kick, but it does not cancel the previous move and it can be blocked if you start it after the hurricane kick ends.

During a real cancel combo (watch video number 1 again for details) you can basically "save" inputs through buffering and most important the opponent can not escape the combo once it starts! And that's were the rule of thumb "normal->special->super" comes into play.
    SSF4 Video Guide series for all levels of players: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234560

...you can buffer the motion (without PPP) of Ken's Ultra while he performs a hurricane kick, but it does not cancel the previous move and it can be blocked if you start it after the hurricane kick ends...

Interesting...

Yeah, I appreciate the differences between comboing and buffering, but I was having trouble executing stuff associated with exactly what you mentioned above. I was trying to buffer Sakura's ultra out of her Hurricane Kick, but to no avail.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying to do the double QCB motion but with kick instead of KKK (for her Haru Ranman), and then input KKK upon landing to go into the ultra from her Hurricane Kick?

Thanks
    Interesting...

Yeah, I appreciate the differences between comboing and buffering, but I was having trouble executing stuff associated with exactly what you mentioned above. I was trying to buffer Sakura's ultra out of her Hurricane Kick, but to no avail.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying to do the double QCB motion but with kick instead of KKK (for her Haru Ranman), and then input KKK upon landing to go into the ultra from her Hurricane Kick?

Thanks

a) You can buffer the motion for Haru Ranman during her hurricane kick by inputting 2x QCB without any button and pressing KKK on landing. However, you should not do that, because it is not a combo, will usually be blocked and you eat big damage.

b) If you use the EX-hurricane kick however, you have a real combo and you can buffer her Ultra with QCB and hitting KKK upon landing for a guaranteed hit (timing is tight).

For maximum damage however, you would use EX Hurricane Kick, dash forward (f,f) upon landing and then execute QCBx2 ->KKK, but that is something that is very hard to do.

Update:
    Part 6: Focus Attack Secrets is out !
    :karate:

(well, it's not really secret, but hey, a catchy title will attract more youtube viewers :bgrin:)
    As always comments are welcome, since I got the hint about annotations, I can easily make corrections/clarifications through annotating the video.

• Lil' SoulLil' Soul Joined: Posts: 40
    TBird man, I can't tell you how much your work is appreciated..

Ha.. I played a lot of SFII way back in the day, but was only a casual player, completely ignorant of what was actually possible with the game. Then when SFIV finally came out, I picked it up thinking that I finally had time to get back into fighting games.. And I discovered for the first time how amazing competitive tournament players were from watching videos on the net.. But then, after not being able to pull off jack in those SFIV trials, I lost confidence and damn near gave up on ever getting good.. Ha.. Your tutorials, along with some other info I've discovered have given me new hope. Thanks dude, and please keep them coming.
    Peace Out,

Lil' Soul
    Great videos! Good things to learn from all these. Thanks a lot TBird keep 'em coming
  • RahontsiiosthaRahontsiiostha Shinobi Joined: Posts: 537
    Great videos, as someone who has only been playing SF seriously for only 2 months this has helped me to begin solidify my fundamentals and look forward to seeing more videos from you.
    {SSF4: Ibuki }{ MK9: Kabal/Skarlet}
    Handle pronouced: "la-hoon-g-os-ta"
  • KooperKooper Need a dispenser here! Joined: Posts: 2,069 mod
    Everyone please nominate the first post for an article so more people can see these videos. They deserve to be seen!
  • JammyBooJammyBoo I am Shiva. Joined: Posts: 151

Yooo, shout outs to bruceleekid.
    having tutorial is advantageous, using tutorial is smart, and abusing tutorial is winning. :tup:

Nominated for article.
    Everyone please nominate the first post for an article so more people can see these videos. They deserve to be seen!

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback :lovin:

Part 7: FADC -The Ultimate Tool is available now ! :karate:

• Lord KinboteLord Kinbote Joined: Posts: 9
    Nominated! Thanks a lot for these :)
  • -kenshin--kenshin- Joined: Posts: 1
    TBird, thank you so much for the tutorials! I just started playing fighting games with SSFIV and this has helped tons!

Keep up the great work!
  • CunningPlannersCunningPlanners Download ma album! Joined: Posts: 257
    As with all basic newbie stuff I went into it thinking I probably knew 95% of what you were about to say, but might learn one or two things.

For the first videos I was like "knew that, knew that, knew that, knew that, didn't know that, knew that"

As it went on though, the difference between what I did and didn't know pretty much inverted.

Buffering was MOSTLY stuff I didn't know. Have yet to watch 5-7 but will get to them.

Great stuff overall!
  • YokoshoYokosho DeAndreWay Joined: Posts: 12
    Nice tuts they are helping me alot.
    No man is an island add - vVv DeAndre Way
    Part 8 "Training Mode & Execution" is here:
    :pleased:

Thanks goes to StarcadeRIP and his sticky about execution. It helped me to improve my list of training recommendations in the second half of the video. :tup: Be sure to check the sticky out as well, if you haven't done so already.

• earsauceearsauce Sonic Boom Joined: Posts: 2
    Theses videos are really, really helpful. Thanks a lot for putting the time into these!
    DOWN + RIGHT + PUNCH
    Nice videos, TBird. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together!
  • hounddog75hounddog75 Joined: Posts: 11
    Interesting

I have been struggling to figure out anything in this game. I practice and then go online and get hammered - I am going to watch all of these videos and see where it leads me. Thanks for taking the time to gather this information together.
  • DihnmohrDihnmohr Joined: Posts: 73
    You, my man, are awesome. Much appreciated!
    un-bump for victory and postcount. keep up the good work tbird ^_^
    Defense

Will you make a tutorial on strategy in general and defence in particular?
    I must give you my thanks TBird. I've been playing Street Fighter for awhile and my game hasn't been progressing well. I felt like I hit a brick wall. I looked up combos often and my execution was alright, but I still felt like my game was a lot worse then it should be. After watching the first few of your tutorials I realized I lacked a lot of fundamentals. I didn't even know the difference between canceling and linking an attack! My brothers and I are thankful. Keep it up! :lovin:
    Will you make a tutorial on strategy in general and defence in particular?

Yes, I am planning at least one further tutorial about defense/blocking (may still take awhile, just got Red Dead Redemption for my PS3, sorry :bgrin:).

I will think about how to continue from there, because I feel that all areas for total beginners have been pretty well covered, if I start introducing framedata and such stuff it would transform into an advanced guide, and there are several reasons why I am not so sure that this really makes sense.

To answer the second part of your question: IMHO, a "general strategy" guide is really hard to do, because your strategy can change drastically depending on what character you play (Dhalsim vs Zangief for example).

I feel that for me (as a complete newb) a hand-in-hand explanation of frame data with some examples would be a nice addition.
  • Lil' SoulLil' Soul Joined: Posts: 40
    I will think about how to continue from there, because I feel that all areas for total beginners have been pretty well covered, if I start introducing framedata and such stuff it would transform into an advanced guide, and there are several reasons why I am not so sure that this really makes sense.

I agree with allgoa.. If nothing else, a short intro to what frame data is and how it's used would give the beginners who know nothing about it, a direction to take as they elevate past the level your tutorials are intended to cover. The same can be said for all of the intermediate to advanced concepts in the competitive game. Perhaps as a final tutorial, after you finish all of the other videos you have planned, you can mention all the advanced subjects that are not covered, in small detail, as well as perhaps suggesting a path for further study and learning for those who stick with the game and want to become great. These videos are great man, thanks for everything you do.. Ha.. And yea, Red Dead Redemption is amazing!
    Peace Out,

Lil' Soul
    thank you for the videos. They were great help for a beginner like me =)
    Tbird your videos are awesome they have really helped me to understand the game more. I am looking forward to seeing more videos, Thank You!
  • SonnyducksSonnyducks Joined: Posts: 34
    Yes, I am planning at least one further tutorial about defense/blocking (may still take awhile, just got Red Dead Redemption for my PS3, sorry :bgrin:).

Me too...damn Rockstar, my SSFIV time is suffering.
    Ok, part 9 about "Blocking & Defense" is finished!

I feel this video concludes all the areas I wanted to cover :smile:

This video series was intended to get beginners started and cover the basics and I am beginning to think we may already be beyond that...:lol:
    Of course, there is still much to learn if you want to be a serious tournament player, but you can already find nice tutorials on things like frame data, option selects, hit confirms, etc on youtube.

If you just want to have fun online I think you know all you need to know to play succesfully (how many random people that you meet online do reliably fadc :rofl:) ? Added to this, I am really reaching my skill limit here, being just a casual scrub myself :razz: and I don't want to talk about something I don't understand. Maybe at some point I have enough experience to do an "advanced guide series".

I also might take up Lil'Souls advice and do one more video to provide links to further resources. If however you feel by now that a particular topic that would be important to you as a beginner is still missing, feel free to post and I will see if I can do something about it. (please understand that I can't really do videos for single characters such as "How to attack with Ken"; things like that are better covered in the character subforums).

Not sure if It's something you could make a video about, But how about a video about how to practice the subjects in your video's effectively or how to use practice mode effectively?.
    Great video's though Helped alot :)
  • PhangryPhangry Empty Jump -> Ultra Joined: Posts: 38
    Thanks so much for a great series of videos, very informative.
    Hi everybody,

I have decided to include video tutorials by other players in this thread, so you have the most comprehensive overview possible ! :smile:

I have updated the first post

with

a) An excellent video tutorial about frame data and how to use it by OneHandedTerror. I couldn't have done it any better, so check it out !

b) The links to Systran's great comprehensive advanced strategy guide. Not for beginner's anymore, but if you have watched all the beginner level stuff and you are ready to take the next step, make sure to check them out

• SkizyeSkizye Joined: Posts: 3
    Thanks for these, they are helping me a lot!
  • MuRd3riNGQu33nXMuRd3riNGQu33nX Killa-Qu33nX Joined: Posts: 233
    Very nice videos, I've actually learned something today haha. I will probably come back and write down a few important notes to memorize in case I ever need come back to somethings. Thanks much man.
    On my way, every single day.
    My Gaming Blog yes http://glakemicoleriuno.wordpress.com/
  • systransystran Joined: Posts: 208
    While my tutorials aren't for total beginners, I think they are still for people relatively new. They aren't going to help people that have played against good people for even a few months. I think the main thing to start paying attention to as you transition from "I'm not used to the control scheme and inputs" to "How do I ever win?" is to pay attention to knockdowns. Make sure you know how to take advantage from a knockdown with your character and try to make sure that's among your primary goals as you zone. Think back to last time you played, were you even thinking about knockdowns at all? Is it possible you get a knockdown against someone better than you and because you're intimidated you just back up and let him get up for free? If you answered yes, you really need to force yourself to notice how knockdowns control the flow of a match and take advantage of them.
    This cleared up many of my questions on comboing, linking, crossups, and more. Thanks TBird!
  • berzackberzack Joined: Posts: 24
    Is there any way I can save my fight videos from the 360 to a PC to be uploaded in youtube for example? I'm not a fan of recording shaky vids with an external camera...
    Thanks for the help! Great to have such a source to turn to, I'm so new to this game and hope to one day play with just a minor amount of skill :d
  • xtriker360xtriker360 Joined: Posts: 8
    Thank you so much for your videos. I been playing st for some time however I fell like I'm not going anywhere with it, is it maybe because I'm left handed? I don't know, but it gets really frustrated at times. I would like to see some tutorials about how to properly or at least the most common way to hold the stick and press the button on arcade stick, along with position of the hand. Thank you.
    I would like to see some tutorials about how to properly or at least the most common way to hold the stick and press the button on arcade stick, along with position of the hand. Thank you.

There you go, with pictures and everything:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

Great post, it was very helpfull for a beginner like me :)
  • cembry25cembry25 Joined: Posts: 46
    Ty for this, finally understood some terms through these videos, ty again!
  • systransystran Joined: Posts: 208
    Thank you so much for your videos. I been playing st for some time however I fell like I'm not going anywhere with it, is it maybe because I'm left handed? I don't know, but it gets really frustrated at times. I would like to see some tutorials about how to properly or at least the most common way to hold the stick and press the button on arcade stick, along with position of the hand. Thank you.

I'm left handed, I have a video of me holding the stick in the balrog super armor cancel tutorial. Honestly though I think too many new players stress out about how they are holding the stick. Just keep playing and you'll find a way the is comfortable for you. It's very unlikely you are holding the stick in a weird enough manner that it's reducing how well you play.
    Update to the 1st post:

Added VesperArcade's youtube channel which features tons of tutorials as well as two short vids by Lord of Ultima.