SSF4 Hitbox Data

noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 258
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Super-Street-Fighter-4-SSF4-Hitbox-Data/1193097c2b60c106b4ad11301a0f33ac5bcd0dc8e44d
Mods, please delete this thread if it displeases you. This is a torrent, but is not illegal so far as I can see, if you disagree please get rid of the thread.

I've looked but haven't seen anyone make mention of this. This appears to be visual hit frames for every move for every character in the game. Not entirely sure of the source of this, but I'm assuming with this much effort it would have to be legitimate.

The author does request help in converting these into JPEG images. See the readme file.

Comments

• SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,977 mod
    I'm glad he encoded them the way he did. Having these in HQ is the way to go. :tup:

Finally finished downloading. Looks great so far! I think a few moves might be missing (back throws, dashes, getting up off the ground), but so far it looks fairly complete. I'm hoping we will be able to dissect these and figure out what everything means. So far, I'm curious about a few things:

- What on earth are those giant horizontal yellow hitboxes on almost every move? They're also attached to fireballs. Weird.

- I wonder how the HP and REACH values for the moves work. I mean, the HP types seem somewhat intuitive. GND makes sense, but I'm surprised LOW, MID, and UP are categorized. I would think the hitboxes would be enough. So, I'm left wondering if those values do something extra inside the engine.

- Also, I noticed that hitboxes change shape and orientation sometimes. Like, if you look at Akuma's SR it starts out as a non-rotated box, it then grows to a bigger box, and then changes to a long thin angled box that rotates as he moves up. I'm wondering if these are separate hitboxes being turned on/off or if the size, rotation, and bone a hitbox is linked to is being changed over time. For that matter, I'm just curious if hitboxes have their own rotation or if that's just a byproduct of being linked to the bones in the skeleton.

Anyone have any thoughts on those things?
  • HypertheHedgehogHypertheHedgehog Please Help Jigglypuff Is Serious Joined: Posts: 393
    i think the horizontal boxes = range that forces opponent into block animation?
    I'm the best
  • zenozeno Joined: Posts: 257
    the bison forum has been discussing these hitboxes for a few days now, please refer to it for general explanations of how the boxes work

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=230065

EDIT:
    might as well inline tony's stuff, hope he's cool with it
    tonylew84 wrote:

Understanding Hitboxes:
    Solid Yellow boxes:
    This represents the physical space that the character is occupying. These do not represent hittable boxes. It is there so the characters, when both are pressing forward, they cannot pass through eachother. Moves that can pass through the opponent, for example, akuma's teleport, that yellow area wil lcompletely disappear so he can pass through the opponents yellow area.

Solid Yellow long horizontal boxes:
    They are the distance for where the active frames will force the opponent to block (but I didn't include any of them in these pictures to show the distances)

Solid Red boxes:
    This represents the attack's active hitbox. If this box collides with the opponent's vulnerable box(explained further down), it will register a hit. The data that is shown inside the red hitbox, is not important, they are values representing range/height/etc... basically, important info for the development team only

Solid Green Boxes:
    This is considered a Projectile Active hitbox. Same rules apply as the red hitbox when it comes to registering a hit.

Solid Blue hitbox:
    This is a throw's active hitbox. If this throw collides with a throw vulnerable box(explained further down) on the opponent, a throw will be triggered.

Green lined boxes:
    This represents the character's vulnerable hitbox. If any attack's solid red hitbox or projectile's solid green hitbox collides with the green lined box, a hit will be registered.

Blue lined boxes:
    This represents the character's vulnerable throwable hitbox. If a throw's Solid Blue hitbox makes contact with A blue Lined box, a throw will be triggered

Red lined boxes:
    This represents the character's vulnerable hitbox, just like the green lined boxes, but it is invincible to projectile attacks(solid green hitboxes).
  • DooplissDoopliss T.Rawk Joined: Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭
    but I'm surprised LOW, MID, and UP are categorized. I would think the hitboxes would be enough. So, I'm left wondering if those values do something extra inside the engine.

I'm not surprised. Some moves can't hit people on the ground even if the hitboxes touch, like Yoga blast and falling sky. Some moves can't hit people in the air, like Dhalsims c.L/M/HK slides and apparently rolling thunder (You can't even hit people in the 2nd state of crumple stun with them) . And finally, some moves won't hit crouchers, like Tatsus, lariat and oil dive.
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Lines. Gotta Cross 'Em!" a Street Fighter X Tekken v.2013 Combo Video
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭
    The black background makes it really hard to see the hitbox outlines.
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX Based Nana Joined: Posts: 5,227
    Whoever made these doesn't know how to encode. Fucken 9 gigs.

The videos are raw 60fps. You can count all the individual frames. As far as the Bison ones that I looked at, they are true to the known frame data.
    My FG mains: Bruce Lee clones and Hot Blondes.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee

I just did some tests in training mode, and I think you're right. Good guess!
    I'm not surprised. Some moves can't hit people on the ground even if the hitboxes touch, like Yoga blast and falling sky. Some moves can't hit people in the air, like Dhalsims c.L/M/HK slides and apparently rolling thunder (You can't even hit people in the 2nd state of crumple stun with them) . And finally, some moves won't hit crouchers, like Tatsus, lariat and oil dive.

Great explanation! That makes total sense.
    The black background makes it really hard to see the hitbox outlines.

Perhaps. But, on the upside, it'll make it much easier for people to do frame captures and post-process the stuff. I think it's really cool that they were able to turn the background, UI, and the other character off. That's pretty nifty.
  • Dragonfave723Dragonfave723 Kiss the future! Joined: Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BboyKnoLedge#g/u

This guy got some hitbox videos uploaded for some characters (Makoto, Adon, Gief, Guy, Dudley, Juri, Ibuki).
  • Skatan MillaSkatan Milla The Swedish Justice Joined: Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭
    Hitboxes, finally!
    http://truthface.blog.com/
    https://twitter.com/TruthFaceSkatan

Style isn't everything, but fighting without style is less than nothing!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BboyKnoLedge#g/u

This guy got some hitbox videos uploaded for some characters (Makoto, Adon, Gief, Guy, Dudley, Juri, Ibuki).

FWIW, these appear to be the same videos from the torrent in youtube form. Just figured I'd mention it in case people are OK with the youtube quality and want to avoid a big download.
    What do the small boxes underneath the character represent? I've seen yellow, blue and purple, and they move with each other for the most part, but sometimes the yellow and blue splits up. For some moves though all 3 split up.

eg. http://i.imgur.com/vLAb7.jpg

I'm guessing one of them represents the mid-point, but then what do the others represent?
    I just did some tests in training mode, and I think you're right. Good guess!

At first I figured these boxes worked like any other boxes, where you had to touch them, but now I'm not so sure. I did some more testing. This time I used Dhalsims and had him jump straight up and do LK drll at his apex. At this height, I'm pretty sure the yellow box would be high enough to not hit my head, but I was still forced to block if I held back.

Still, the horizontal range does look about right to me. So, I'm thinking maybe those boxes do depict the frames and range of the force block, but they're just thin to illustrate the range without covering the screen.
  • Options
    Unknown Joined:

this explains a lot.
  • yyyyyy Joined: Posts: 102
    README FIRST_IMPORTANT.txt

The following is from this torrent's README FIRST_IMPORTANT.txt file.
    I hope you Street Fighter fans enjoy this rare data that I am sharing with you!
    This is, for the most part, all the hitbox data that is in Super Street Fighter 4. Taunts were not recorded,
    except taunt 1. With the limited amount of time and resources to capture this data, Taunts were the least important.
    My apologies if there is any attack missing. I did the best I could.

By releasing this footage. I'm banking on the hope, that the SRK scene will step up, and archive the active hit frames
    into jpeg format for easy viewing in some sort of database. This was my original goal, but 35 characters, thousands of
    moves. Thats just too much time and work needed for one person. I think SRK, with 100k members, might put this info
    into a more reliable format, much faster, as a collective.

A couple of notes about the videos to help understand what you are seeing.

I strongly recommend using video playback software that can advance the video frame by frame so you can more accurately
    see the hitboxes in detail. It is recommended to use Quicktime to view, since you can pause the video, then hit the left
    arrow or right arrow to advance the video 1 frame. adobe premiere and other software work well also in advancing videos by
    frame.

These videos are h.264 encoded!

In all the videos, when demonstrating, I go from left to right on attacks. for example, with special moves, i will show
    the light version first, the medium version next, then the fierce version, and finally the EX version. For normal attacks,
    I used the following order(light punch,medium punch,fierce punch,light kick, medium kick, fierce kick).

To show off proximity moves(normal attacks that have to done close to the opponent). I have to sweep the opponent first
    so i can wiff the followup proximity move so you can see it better. The reason why I do this, is if i hit the opponent,
    all of the following active hitbox frames will disappear for the remainder of the attack. My goal was to show every single
    active hit frame. Unfortunately, there are some attacks that i could not avoid hitting the opponent due to tracking
    properties(only so much i can do by myself.

UNDERSTANDING HITBOXES:

Solid Yellow boxes:

This represents the physical space that the character is occupying. These do not represent hittable boxes. It is there
    so the characters, when both are pressing forward, they cannot pass through eachother. Moves that can pass through
    the opponent, for example, akuma's teleport, that yellow area wil lcompletely disappear so he can pass through the opponents
    yellow area.

I am not sure what this info represents. But in a lot of moves, it appears on frame 1 of the move's startup.

Solid Red boxes:

This represents the attack's active hitbox. If this box collides with the opponent's vulnerable box(explained
    further down), it will register a hit. The data that is shown inside the red hitbox, is not important, they are
    values representing range/height/etc... basically, important info for the development team only

Solid Green Boxes:

This is considered a Projectile Active hitbox. Same rules apply as the red hitbox when it comes to registering a hit.

Solid Blue hitbox:

This is a throw's active hitbox. If this throw collides with a throw vulnerable box(explained further down) on the
    opponent, a throw will be triggered.

Green lined boxes:

This represents the character's vulnerable hitbox. If any attack's solid red hitbox or projectile's solid green hitbox
    collides with the green lined box, a hit will be registered.

Blue lined boxes:

This represents the character's vulnerable throwable hitbox. If a throw's Solid Blue hitbox makes contact with A blue
    Lined box, a throw will be triggered

Red lined boxes:

This represents the character's vulnerable hitbox, just like the green lined boxes, but it is invincible to projectile
    attacks(solid green hitboxes).
    yyy
    Still, the horizontal range does look about right to me. So, I'm thinking maybe those boxes do depict the frames and range of the force block, but they're just thin to illustrate the range without covering the screen.

Probably. When dan does an airtaunt superjump, you will still block if he is at the apex of the jump.

• Zero1_Zero1_ Combo fraud Joined: Posts: 628
    If anyone needs free software for frame stepping, you can use this video conversion software called Avidemux.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

It's awesome. I use it for converting my DVD captures for archiving or uploading to youtube. You can also resize, crop, deinterlace, and compress to a number of different formats.

Unfortunately the guy who encoded this used B-frames, so upon opening the file, click no to both of the prompts.
    The hit box data is much more usable in image format. In AVIDEMUX select the start and frames and save as a series of jpeg images. The only problem is that I haven't found a way to increase the quality of the JPEGS. It's not bad, but it could be better.
  • AckuAcku Representing Rose Joined: Posts: 786

yes, that will be it

finally we can see why Ryu's FA blocks you so far :)
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,050

Get this man an E-Cookie.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
  • BeautifulViolenceBeautifulViolence Will turtle you out. Joined: Posts: 381
    Wow. I'm interested in the source of this. Whomever it is, we should commend him.
    This is a huge contribution to the community.
  • zerojayzerojay Punching Bag? Joined: Posts: 488
    I think the source of this is the reason why it wasn't posted on SRK at all as I'm pretty sure that the source of this could be potentially fired for this.
  • .42..42. Joined: Posts: 206
    We should all salute the Source's bravery and pray he doesn't get in trouble.
  • E46M3 CSLE46M3 CSL RTSD Joined: Posts: 86
    Maybe the source did not come from internal capcom? It might be from a jtagged xbox. The code is probably very similar to the PC version, of which I'm sure someone already figured out how to trigger this "hitbox" mode.
    It comes from a SSFIV dev build that's given to certain people who need the info to create certain products. It's anyone's guess who leaked it though.
  • Options
    Unknown Joined:
    This is a phenomenal find. I can't wait to dig into this tonight.

Thank you mystery man who was brave enough to post this. :)
    Could someone upload the hitboxes of Seth's U1? I don't feel like downloading the entire thing just for that. There's been a lot of discussion about it, and I want to see how it really works.

You don't need to download the entire torrent. Just select the files you want and download that. Seth's U1 is only 16mb.
    You don't need to download the entire torrent. Just select the files you want and download that. Seth's U1 is only 16mb.

Bah, I just don't understand this torrent thing, so whatever.

• HotdogmarchantHotdogmarchant Egotistical Narcisist Joined: Posts: 192
    Gilley will most definately be having a field day with this info, great stuff. I watched Makoto's Ultra 1 quickly and DAMN is that hitbox small.

Here are the frames of his Ultra ripped into a jpeg sequence:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7VHKJSXR

I left off the recovery frames after the opponent's impact into the screen
  • Options
    Unknown Joined:

If you have a torrent client such as uTorrent (probably the best one IMO), you just simply download the torrent file, open it, and it will open uTorrent up. It will then display a dialog box of all the files contained within the torrent. From there you can check/uncheck the files you want/don't want. So like the above poster said, if you only want the Seth videos, just uncheck everything except for the Seth videos.

Hope this helps.
  • Smileymike101Smileymike101 Joined: Posts: 1,146

You are right, except for the tatsu, tatsu doesn't connect on crouchers for hitbox reasons, as you can hit tatsu on crauching zangief (and i'm not meaning the first hit of ken's tatsu, which stands up), just like how akuma wiffs tatsu if he cancels into it from st.hp on standing guy, because he leans to much forward.The same thing with Punch Tiger shots.You can hit crouching zangief with those, so it's purely hitbox.Also yes rolling thunder seems to not hit airborne at all, just like fei's 2nd and 4th hit of his U1, they wouln't hit even after AA LVL 3 FA.
  • Options
    Unknown Joined:
    What codecs are you using to view this in programs besides quicktime
  • GamogoGamogo Common sense isn't. Joined: Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭
    What codecs are you using to view this in programs besides quicktime

I'm using VLC on Linux. The Windows version functions the same and it also has a frame step option (and screenshot button right NEXT to the frame step option) so you can properly view and extract the relevant frames.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
    Guacamole is awesome.
    Here are the frames of his Ultra ripped into a jpeg sequence:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7VHKJSXR

I left off the recovery frames after the opponent's impact into the screen

Thanks, that was qite interesting. Even though you can't see the opponents hurt box, I have a better understanding of how the move works now.
    You are right, except for the tatsu, tatsu doesn't connect on crouchers for hitbox reasons, as you can hit tatsu on crauching zangief (and i'm not meaning the first hit of ken's tatsu, which stands up), just like how akuma wiffs tatsu if he cancels into it from st.hp on standing guy, because he leans to much forward.The same thing with Punch Tiger shots.You can hit crouching zangief with those, so it's purely hitbox.Also yes rolling thunder seems to not hit airborne at all, just like fei's 2nd and 4th hit of his U1, they wouln't hit even after AA LVL 3 FA.
    I have never hit crouching gief with high tiger or tatsu, how do you do that? And s.HP xx LK tatsu on Guy works now.
    If you have a torrent client such as uTorrent (probably the best one IMO), you just simply download the torrent file, open it, and it will open uTorrent up. It will then display a dialog box of all the files contained within the torrent. From there you can check/uncheck the files you want/don't want. So like the above poster said, if you only want the Seth videos, just uncheck everything except for the Seth videos.

Hope this helps.
    Ok. I have torrent, but I have never used it. And I don't really need to anymore anyways, as ilitirit posted those pics for me.

• Options
    Unknown Joined:
    I'm using VLC on Linux. The Windows version functions the same and it also has a frame step option (and screenshot button right NEXT to the frame step option) so you can properly view and extract the relevant frames.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

this program does exactly what i need, thanks!
  • RorecRorec Joined: Posts: 159
    I exported Juri's vids into frame by frame image sequences if anyone's interested

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=234784

6800 jpegs, 366megs total about.
  • RorecRorec Joined: Posts: 159
  • Smileymike101Smileymike101 Joined: Posts: 1,146
    Doopliss, with Sagat against crouching zangief, just st.mp xx high tiger.I am not sure about tatsu's, but i think they work the same way, though they never seem to hit someone out a crouching attack, even if it seems to move their hitbox higher.I'll have to test this, and combined with the hitbox data i should come up with the right explanation soon.But I am sure about st.mp xx high tiger on crouching zangief.
  • InverseInverse You? Destroy...me? Joined: Posts: 1,744
    This should obviously be stickied. The data is out, and I don't see how this would not be relevant for the entire lifetime of Super Street Fighter IV, regardless of any drama behind it.
    "So Ryu is looking like poop more and more?"
    ~Rockman85

"No you'll just have to actually learn how to use Ryu."
    ~Deviljin 01
    Doopliss, with Sagat against crouching zangief, just st.mp xx high tiger.I am not sure about tatsu's, but i think they work the same way, though they never seem to hit someone out a crouching attack, even if it seems to move their hitbox higher.

But if you mp xx tiger, you're taking them out of crouch state and putting them into hit/block stun state. Once in stun, my guess is that the game would allow any move to work except for moves that only work on airborne opponents.
  • w0venw0ven Soul Throw Spammer Joined: Posts: 46
    my skills aren't high enough for me to have any use with this, but i grabbed it anyway and will seed indefinitely.
    also: i'm a scrub
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭
    The horizontal yellow box which indicate the range that forces opponent into block animation is extremely distracting.

It is not that useful in most cases and your own hitbox is also in pale yellow color.

If this is a program then I wish there is a checkbox to turn it on or off.

Too bad these are recorded mp4.

But the videos are very useful nonetheless.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭
    This is good shit!

Much thanks to whoever put this out there. He/she knows about SRK so thanks in case you're reading.
    -Darklight is sickening... he's a mutha fuckin' genius
    No need for bitchin'... if ya love 'im suck his penis

http://www.twitch.tv/darklightjg1
  • .42..42. Joined: Posts: 206
    Can some one explain how to count the frames?

I am not sure what this info represents. But in a lot of moves, it appears on frame 1 of the move's startup.

I am using Avidemux to step through the frames.

To verify that the long yellow appears at frame 1 I decided to check Balrog's cr jab.

Assuming the bar appears at frame 1:
    1: yellow bar appears
    2: frame of start up
    3: red box appears jab becomes active

So The jab has 2 frames of start up? That can't be right. I doubt they changed it.

So the bar must appear at frame 2.
    Frame 1 must be an idle frame.
  • KryianKryian Joined: Posts: 945
    Can some one explain how to count the frames?

I am using Avidemux to step through the frames.

To verify that the long yellow appears at frame 1 I decided to check Balrog's cr jab.

Assuming the bar appears at frame 1:
    1: yellow bar appears
    2: frame of start up
    3: red box appears jab becomes active

So The jab has 2 frames of start up? That can't be right. I doubt they changed it.

So the bar must appear at frame 2.
    Frame 1 must be an idle frame.

The way you are interpreting the data (which is how it was/is in many games) is accurate. In SFIV frame data the first active frame is included in the startup. Why I don't know, but that's how it is, and I'm glad everyone has at least kept it uniform so we don't have a lot of confusion.

So yeah, how some people are accustomed to interpreting frame data..Balrog's jab does have 2 frame startup.
    "Speaking of calling out i think everyone here plays characters they like mostly except for Logan who goes top tier or bust. Just look at his religion he couldn't praise regular Jesus he had to go to that top shelf Jesus you don't even see on the holidays." - Project
  • MoxManiacMoxManiac Haggar!!! Joined: Posts: 341
    Am I a giant nerd for being really excited over this hitbox info finally being revealed? Don't answer that, I know the answer is yes.

I've been wanting this shit since vanilla SF4 came out!
    SSF4: Haggar | HDR: Haggar | 3s: Haggar | Tekken 6: Haggar | Smash Bros: Haggar
  • AckuAcku Representing Rose Joined: Posts: 786
    Am I a giant nerd for being really excited over this hitbox info finally being revealed? Don't answer that, I know the answer is yes.

I've been wanting this shit since vanilla SF4 came out!

You're not alone, hitboxes back up the theory behind theory fighter :)

I've started processing the hitboxes of Rose: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=235305&p=8850819#post8850819

It's some tedious work, but I hope other people follow this format as well (convert to series of images, filter out the bulk frames where nothing happens). Rorec was actually the first one who I saw doing this for Juri. Thx.
  • InverseInverse You? Destroy...me? Joined: Posts: 1,744
    I find it odd though that someone would get in trouble for releasing this info. I mean, why should any of this be top secret? Who benefits?
    "So Ryu is looking like poop more and more?"
    ~Rockman85

"No you'll just have to actually learn how to use Ryu."
    ~Deviljin 01