Battle Capacity (a fighting game by me)

Comments

• CazakiCazaki iSupportDarkstalkers Joined: Posts: 148
    Thank god. An original fighting game that has original ideas, an original gameplay style (Well, that can only be so original.) without falling into fads and being prey to awful gothic Twilight-esque style.
  • sharkattacksharkattack Joined: Posts: 66
    Version 5.1 is out!

Had a lot of fun last night taking out some emergency infinites. A lot of changes have been made, including balance tweaks, new moves and backthrows for everyone.

I've compiled a short list here listing some of the major changes for each character.

Pyroak
    - New moves in Wooden Barge and Timber, df.b and d.c in the air respectively. The first one is a forward moving tackle and the second is a fast elbow drop. Both attacks were conceived to give Oak greater offensive options.
    - Ember was given about 20 frames more of cooldown, meaning he can't spam it as easily and fill the screen with his fireballs one after the other. So it requires more precision to hit the payoff and the chance of being punished is greater if used carelessly.
    - In the same vein, Flamethrower was made less meaty and is more of a quick burst attack. On the one hand, he recovers a bit faster, but again, it makes his defense more precise.

Cyclohm
    - Whirlwind Kick was made easier to execute in combos. Previously the timing to combo into this move was so difficult it was close to being obsolete, so hopefully this makes Cyclohm less reliant on an opponent's mistakes to score damage.
    - j.light had its gravity increased so he falls faster when using it, giving him something of a short hop. The hitbox also lasts longer but only the first few frames can cross up.
    - X-Twister has faster startup

Fidgit
    - Down strong, his sweep now has greater range.

Syclant
    - Standing light and medium can now hit airborne enemies allowing Syclant more juggle options after a Frost Edge or Fury Swipes.

Revenankh
    - Standing far medium and strong have more range, increasing Rev's footsie game

Stratagem
    - Crouching medium and strong were given better range and startup
    - Standing far strong has a disjointed hitbox making it better for anti air, or for poking.
    - He can now use Jumping Slash and Jumping Backslash in the air.

Krilowatt
    - Corrected some visual glitches that occurred when certain attacks are blocked
    - Crouching medium has faster startup and crouching strong now slides further

Colossoil
    - All versions of Giga Impact except for X have lost invincibility.
    - Crunch and Crouching strong are now more punishable on block
    - Hitting the second hit of Horn Attack in the air can now lead to Horn Drill or other juggles.

Kitsunoh
    - Corrected an issue where you could still X-Port without X

Arghonaut
    - Crouching light has slower startup but faster recovery time leading to more combo options.
    - Sweatin' arcade mode fixed

Vitalimar
    - Crouching medium no longer hits low
    - Changed the hitbox of Vital Throw so that it does grab jumping opponents as easily now

Skulloton
    - Standing strong's hitbox was tweaked so it works better as an anti air, but will trade more often on the ground

Cascavian
    - A new move in Wing Attack. It's fast and can be linked from certain attacks, act as an a reliable reversal and can extend combos in some situations.
    - X-WaterPulse is no longer a grab
    - Close standing light is now a command normal

Hope to see more people online. After a year of beta testing and fine tuning, I'm confident in the competitive solidity of this game. In the past month, we've had a few great players drop by to feed some of our vets, but I'd like to see if this game could be taken further. It's grown rather organically as people have come by and given their feedback, verbally, but most often by playing against others at a similar skill level, and I think this game still has room to grow and improve.
    Updated the OP with the newly minted " .

Big thanks to TGM for executing the combos here (I helped too by jumping a couple of times). Honestly, a good amount of this video consists of stuff I hadn't thought possible...as well as some things I'd...be more comfortable removing.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Combo transcript
  • AnemoneAnemone smug ass bitch Joined: Posts: 1,979
    Really enjoyed the game after my first day playing it. The combo system is a bit funky, but I'll learn it.
  • robotic elfrobotic elf like in the stories Joined: Posts: 747
    Messed around a bit, I like the graphics, the character diversity, and the way the X moves work. I'll try and rope some locals in and get a couple of vs games.

Mirror matches look like they would be frustrating without different colors however.
    Is SpoonyGosling
    This game glorifies violence. I love it for this reason.
    There are two different colours. Hit fierce to get the colour you want.

sharkattack, try not to listen to your community too much. Apprentally they think Rev is a top tier, when I see some large glaring flaws that are easy to exploit for the cast.
    the worst matchup I've seen for Rev has been Pyroak, but then, we've only had a couple of Rev mains. What are some of his exploitable weaknesses you've noticed? Or are they more character specific?
    Well I've only been in the lab with the game for a few days, but Argh's got some pretty awesome options selects on him it seems, and can completely escape his mixup game for free on reaction to his Shadow moves. This is made even more difficult by the fact that Argh's normals beat out Revs, and Argh can play a purely reactive approach and destroy Rev with ease.

I guess Argh can't be grabbed during his dashpunch, (haven't tested exactly this part yet) so dash punching will beat either the Punch or the grab out of shadow. I can do low jabs and keep inputting dash punch, if he goes in the ground, I simply hit punch again and, depending on the button I hit, either escape completely or hit him out of whatever he is trying to do. I'm assuming this will work for anyone with a movable attack like this but have no yet tested.

I don't really see what's going on with Rev either. His best normal is an anti-air, but no one is going to jump at a grappler. Other than that his normals all seem really slow and don't accomplish much to help him get in, leaving Shadow Sneak as his only way to get in, but it is incredibly easy to react too. The X version my be tricky, but that's all taken away by the fact that he flashes as he is going in the shadow, completely removing the move as a good surprise option, making it easy to react too.

I can see some strenghts within Rev, like crossup Shadow and a great 50/50, but those strenghts appear to be invaldated by his weaknesses.

I see you constantly update this, which is fine, but do keep in mind that neither you nor your community are likely to know everything about the game, and to keep that in mind when balancing the game.

I do like the game, don't get me wrong, some very cool things going on here, just, don't get sucked into the community whine trap.

Now, a few questions and comments:

1. Why no grab teching?
    2. Cascavian's wind attack needs a new input. Down Back works just fine, the only issue here being that some might miss their instant air Waterfalls, but they will simply have to learn a tiny bit of execution change.
    3. When are we getting Voodoom?
    4. How far would you say this is the from the final version?
    5. This is number 5.
    Well I've only been in the lab with the game for a few days, but Argh's got some pretty awesome options selects on him it seems, and can completely escape his mixup game for free on reaction to his Shadow moves. This is made even more difficult by the fact that Argh's normals beat out Revs, and Argh can play a purely reactive approach and destroy Rev with ease.

I guess Argh can't be grabbed during his dashpunch, (haven't tested exactly this part yet) so dash punching will beat either the Punch or the grab out of shadow. I can do low jabs and keep inputting dash punch, if he goes in the ground, I simply hit punch again and, depending on the button I hit, either escape completely or hit him out of whatever he is trying to do. I'm assuming this will work for anyone with a movable attack like this but have no yet tested.

I don't really see what's going on with Rev either. His best normal is an anti-air, but no one is going to jump at a grappler. Other than that his normals all seem really slow and don't accomplish much to help him get in, leaving Shadow Sneak as his only way to get in, but it is incredibly easy to react too. The X version my be tricky, but that's all taken away by the fact that he flashes as he is going in the shadow, completely removing the move as a good surprise option, making it easy to react too.

I can see some strenghts within Rev, like crossup Shadow and a great 50/50, but those strenghts appear to be invaldated by his weaknesses.

I see you constantly update this, which is fine, but do keep in mind that neither you nor your community are likely to know everything about the game, and to keep that in mind when balancing the game.

I do like the game, don't get me wrong, some very cool things going on here, just, don't get sucked into the community whine trap.

Now, a few questions and comments:

1. Why no grab teching?
    2. Cascavian's wind attack needs a new input. Down Back works just fine, the only issue here being that some might miss their instant air Waterfalls, but they will simply have to learn a tiny bit of execution change.
    3. When are we getting Voodoom?
    4. How far would you say this is the from the final version?
    5. This is number 5.
  • AsoliteAsolite Kaka Kitten Joined: Posts: 77
    this looks like a pretty solid hombrew game (?) might give it a shot :P
    Taunt->214D->2D~B->repeat...
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    How's the online play?
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    How's the online play?

Its pretty good. No complaints here. If you've got a bad connection though, just go to Skull, his combos are so easy and linenant that you don't have to worry about lag.
    It's true that I do take community feedback into account when balancing every version. I'm beginning to chill out a bit and not react to every perceived problem so suddenly, but it can be tempting when things can be changed and tested so easily.

I've gotten comments about Arghonaut and his staggeringly good normals, which may be the culprit here in the Rev matchup. Say Argh uses light Mach Punch to stay close, he's at +0 on block. All of Argh's normals beat Rev's, so Rev's only options are to try to escape with X-SP, or try for the grab. But as you said, Argh's Mach Punch is unthrowable on start up putting Rev in kind of a tough situation. The problem may be more Argh's than Rev's.

As far as Rev's approach. Speaking purely of intention, advancing pokes, and Shadow Punch. The light and medium SPs are technically safe because they can be canceled into 5C which cancels into 2C. Assuming they block the whole sequence, you're pushed a little out of range, but are a little closer. I stand by his wake up game (cl.5b meaty, I like in particular), but may be difficult to land that necessary knockdown if his opponent can react sufficiently well.

Would you be interested in coming by the chat sometime this week?

Question and answer

1. There is grab teching, but no crouch teching.
    2. I could change it to db. You might have to tiger knee a little more carefully, but I think I can set the priority of the command input so thta it shouldn't be a problem.
    3. Voodoom is in production, and I'd like to include him in an upcoming version before April. Depends on my schedule, really, which can fluctuate.
    4. I'll say 'final version' when I have all 15 character squares filled up and all bugs and glitches have been take care of.
    5. Thanks for the feedback.
  • okizurokizur Joined: Posts: 2
    Seems cool, will definitely check it out
  • robotic elfrobotic elf like in the stories Joined: Posts: 747
    There are two different colours. Hit fierce to get the colour you want.

Ah, cool, I only tried like two buttons.:blush:

Q for sharkattack:

You're aware of the charge move weirdness right? The fact that you seem to lose charge when you go from db to back & vice versa, the fact that you can't charge using up-back, and Kutsonoh does not seem to be able to charge sumersault with down foward, although soil and oak can, although I'm not 100% on that, I have a lot of trouble doing summersault that I don't have doing Giga Impact or Woodhammer.
    Is SpoonyGosling
    This game glorifies violence. I love it for this reason.
    You're right about Kitsunoh, not being able to charge from a down forward. This is especially a problem because she has a df command normal. I'll fix it, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll also do my best to account for charges being saveable if you change between db and b, and the other variations.

I played a few Argh vs Rev matches. They do fairly well keeping each other out, but Rev is in big trouble if Argh can get into a 5a, 4c, light machpunch routine. Rev can try to escape with X-SP, or reversal grab with X-PW, but once he's out of X, there isn't much he can do, as a regular SP escape leaves him close enough to be punished and for the cycle to continue. light Power Whip comes out in two frames, so technically, he should be able to grab a 5a attempt after a blocked mach. Unfortunately, both MP and Cut are unthrowable on startup. If Argh guesses wrong however, it could end quite badly for him, although, thanks to Cut, he doesn't fear Rev's wakeup game so much anyway. Would like to test this further.
  • PoretPoret 12 yr old scrub on XBL Joined: Posts: 155
    Hey shar kthis is cool that you made a fighting game on your own. Was hoping to make a fighting game sometime in the future. Some general questions:

How long did this take you (Like it took you X months/years with about X hours put in a day/week)?
    How many other people helped besides you?
    XBL: ThatKidPoret
    Hi Poret. I started around 2 years ago, sort of on and off working on it whenever I had some time. On average, maybe 6 or 7 hours a week.

I did most of the art and 'coding' for the game. A friend did about half of the bgs. Another friend did the new menus and HUD system, and the music was composed by someone other than me as well. This also doesn't take into account the people and hours put into testing, balancing, bug-finding and the like.
    Hey shar kthis is cool that you made a fighting game on your own. Was hoping to make a fighting game sometime in the future. Some general questions:

How long did this take you (Like it took you X months/years with about X hours put in a day/week)?
    How many other people helped besides you?
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,199 ✭✭
    Updated the OP with the newly minted " .

Big thanks to TGM for executing the combos here (I helped too by jumping a couple of times). Honestly, a good amount of this video consists of stuff I hadn't thought possible...as well as some things I'd...be more comfortable removing.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Combo transcript

Just WOW how BC has changed since I last played it! Glad to see that it has evolved to something very VERY good (it already was).

Keep it up Shark!
  • fallotfallot Joined: Posts: 1,475
    For some reason I was confusing this with Battle High and never bothered to check the thread. Goddamn what a great game this is, I just downloaded it, barely spent 3 mins with it and I'm floored that a single dude (with some help) could come up with something like this.
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I say it a lot, but the game wouldn't be where it is without the help and feedback of its small but talented community.

Speaking of which, I got a teaser trailer out for the new character, Voodoom, performing some impractical corner hijinks.

I plan to develop the character further, but just thought I'd show that despite the slowdown, I haven't stopped working on this game completely.
  • Carmine the RiotCarmine the Riot Joined: Posts: 18
    I checked out a few vids on this game and im liking where it's going. Am in the process of downloading it too. Just though i would take some time to praise you for what you have accomplished.
    I have a few thoughts, mostly about the visuals seeing as I have not played yet. It may just be me but its pretty hard to see what is going on at times. Maybe make the hit sparks a bit more... out there? Is this a complaint you get often or is it just me?
    It is something I've heard before, and I believe it. It's been attributed to some of the 'hit' animations not being that different from the idle pose (especially the weak ones) so I've been thinking about making more visible hit sparks to help in that respect too. Pretty much every aspect of the game has gotten a visual update since the beginning except the sparks. Thanks for voicing it too, it's good to hear feedback from a pair of fresh eyes.
    So Battle Capacity v6 is now out!

Hey guys, Battle Capacity v6 is out, featuring new character Voodoom. A tool-oriented character, he has traps, decent mid-range pressure, two stances, and probably the most number of frames of any of the game's fighters yet, so check him out!

Battle Capacity
    Download:
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Quoted from the updated OP. Let me know what you think of Voodoom or the game in general if you haven't tried it yet.
    I posted this on Smogon for you Sharkattack, but just letting everyone else know about the glitch:

With Voodoom, throw out his projectile, right before it hits, grab, with this you combo into your grab from full screen. It's really awsome.
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,715
    My brain exploded when i saw a dirt whale combo, then my arms fell off when I saw a pigeon get in some combos. dl now.
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    I was uninformed about the greatness of BBBR....
  • Spooty WhiteboySpooty Whiteboy I must break you! Joined: Posts: 2,760
    Is this game still updated? And does it have online play?
    Live Tag: Spootz
    PSN: SPTwhte

"There's a complicated answer to that question. You see, I think we could all know Batman in our hearts, if we just intensely and obsessively study all of his comics, tv shows, movies...and..
    No. I don't really know Batman." - Dr. McNinja
  • WarpticonWarpticon Main otaku of SRK #2 Joined: Posts: 9,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and yes.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the compound.
    Then why doesn't this game get more buzz in the fighting game circle?

"There's a complicated answer to that question. You see, I think we could all know Batman in our hearts, if we just intensely and obsessively study all of his comics, tv shows, movies...and..
  • WarpticonWarpticon Main otaku of SRK #2 Joined: Posts: 9,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shrug* It's weird seeing people going wild over a 3 year old game like Type Wild all of a sudden when there's a similarly themed game that is under current development and has a thread looking for feedback like this one.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the compound.
  • INCIDENTINCIDENT ACTION BASTARD! Joined: Posts: 335
    *shrug* It's weird seeing people going wild over a 3 year old game like Type Wild all of a sudden when there's a similarly themed game that is under current development and has a thread looking for feedback like this one.

HURR DURR POKEMANS HURR

SRK. Go figure.
    Voodoom is officially my favorite fighting game character. Period.

• Agent 54cAgent 54c I are a penguin! Joined: Posts: 393
    Not to mention that this game is better than Type Wild.

Also, Arghonaut and Skulloton are so awesome.
    Profound sadness is profound.

All the time, and yes, you can connect using Lunaport, which is included. To host, you have to forward your port to 7500, or bypass it altogether with Hamachi, which is what several regulars in the chat use.

One of the major things I've been working on lately was getting the knock down and get up times more or less standardized, and dealing with some hitbox issues. Obviously, some combos will continue to work only on the bigger characters, but I'd like results to be as consistent as possible.

I'm also trying to identify a character's strengths, and I'm working on bringing those out while culling things that clash with design. Revenankh, the grappler, for example:

B and C ShadowPunch's currently have invincibility on startup. X-Shadowpunch doesn't have invincibility, but travels insanely fast and far. Rev is an already effective grappler, with good mid-range normals to boot. Force Palm was also incredibly spammable; the frame advantage upon hitting with the last few frames were so good you could actually link into another one. So I decided to nerf his entry options...

The regular ShadowPunch's are no longer invincible on startup, so they have to be properly timed to get past projectiles, and are no longer the easy escape solution they once were. X-SP is now invincible, but travels about the distance of a B-Punch. Force Palm now has more startup and less frame advantage, though is evidently still an effective approach method, due to its hitbox, and is still a great meaty. Cl.5B can now cancel into B/C/X SP for more wakeup nastiness and some normals were tweaked to make ticking into Power Whip easier to time. In all, he's still the scary grappler he always was, but it is harder for him to break into a good zoner's discomfort zone.

In addition to these changes, I'm working on one or two more characters (at least one to fill that remaining slot). There are new beta patches constantly being released in the chat if anyone wants to contribute ideas and impressions. One of the things we're playing with at the moment is less combo damage-scaling and Pyroak's 'Battle Armor' actually being useful.

Finally, the youtube page is being updated semi-regularly with some of my matches (i'm pretty mediocre, but my opponents are cool).
  • Agent 54cAgent 54c I are a penguin! Joined: Posts: 393
    Is the new character that Tomohawk one?
    Profound sadness is profound.
  • Dr.RiddlerDr.Riddler Joined: Posts: 9
    Everyone should try this game. It's a well-built, balanced, and fun fighting game and since the community is small you can have a direct effect on future versions of the game. The community is chill and you can almost always find someone to play with if you join the irc chat (#battlecapacity).
    Well...even 'almost always' is a little optimistic.

Anyway, because we're a pretty small community, there's apparently still a lot we don't know. Voodoom, being the newest character, still has largely unmined territory as was recently demonstrated. Also, today TGM found a couple of ways for Krilowatt to squeeze *FIVE* Sparks into a single combo. It's pretty dirty, but also impractical!

You can check out the results here.
    Anyway, because we're a pretty small community, there's apparently still a lot we don't know. Voodoom, being the newest character, still has largely unmined territory as was recently demonstrated.
    I do what I can. *brushes shoulder off*

• bitCrusherbitCrusher The Casual Fighter Joined: Posts: 147
    wow good stuff. I can't play it at the moment, but I just saw some videos and I love the character design. Very unique and doesn't have a bunch of generic human characters.
    Parallel Theory: small fighting game targeting Steam for 2013
  • CStaticCStatic Was it something I said? Joined: Posts: 765
    This looks great, I really like the art style. I'm going to download this when I get home from work. and give you some proper feedback.

At first glance though, some of the backgrounds could use a little more detail, some of them are pretty stark and look like I'm staring at pastel wallpaper.
    "The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go".

GW2: Jane Woo - Sylvari Thief - The Unseen [UNSN] ~ Incinerator 04/12/12
  • frustratedsquirrelfrustratedsquirrel Masky stripey man! Wtf is a raccoon? Joined: Posts: 3,761
    Dude this is looking cool!

By the way, I realised that some of the characters are fake pokemon from that Smogon 'create a pokemon' project before reading up anything about this. I honestly think it suits these guys to be in their own little game rather than associated with that.
    From team Sp00ky's TvC stream:
    "Alex? He will put his mitts all over you dude. Like he's so grimy, he shows up to the party and is like 'RAAAGH' and rips his shirt off"

Showcasing some Colossoil in action as he isn't often played.

Soil's an interesting character as he looks the part of the slow, heavy hitting bruiser (and plays the part too), but he can also function rather well as a somewhat speedy pressure character, capable of clearing huge distances very fast, and keeping his opponent locked down. He's probably at his worst at mid-range, although Eji didn't really learn that in time to prevent the beat down.
    Discovered this set was how good C-Horn Attack actually is. An effective meaty that punishes backdashes much more powerfully than Pursuit.

To anyone who has tried the game, I'd be interested in hearing if you think the game has any real competitive merit. Our playtesting has suffered from sometimes lopsided tester skills where it is difficult to gauge how the game is played at a high level, which can skew our perspective (a matchup chart offered by TGM..to be taken with a grain of salt as he doesn't often get to play someone on even footing).

As i fill the last character slot, I'd really like to wrap up development and ensure the game is fun and without *too* many imbalance problems at all levels of play. Even if you're not great, we'd love to play you or hear some feedback. Jump into the chat, download the latest beta patch, and say hi.
  • zman804zman804 Joined: Posts: 111
    I love the game, been playing for a while and just realized how easy online was to set up... PM me, I want to try some matches : )

Thanks for the great game, I was really surprised when I saw an SRK thread for it, it needs more exposure.
  • SPARTA2020SPARTA2020 THIS IS SPARTA!!! Joined: Posts: 44
    awesome game, sucks i just not found out about it, gonna give it a try soon
    Marvel Vs Capcom - Wesker Deadpool Akuma
    StreetFighter4 - Juri Sagat
    Soul Calibur - Mitsurugi Kilik/Xiba
    Tekken - Feng/Armor King Asuka
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Got what is probably going to be the final version of the game here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/94HDEXC9XH

No major changes to report, fixed a few inconsistencies here and there. The greatest addition is Tomohawk, filling the final spot on the character select screen.

Thanks to everyone who supported the game! Hamachi was included to make online play even easier for those who can't port forward.
  • HiramsThoughtsHiramsThoughts Joined: Posts: 6
    So is this dead already? Because I just found out about the game and it is AWESOME and it'd be so sad if this was the last of it :/
  • Marmalade-BeatMarmalade-Beat のヮの Joined: Posts: 450
    It most likely is, but there was almost zero hype at all.
    Even when I was actually here, no one talked a single thing about it, the vids are under 1K in views, and the post time gaps say a lot.
    The UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM2 MUGEN-esque video quality didn't help either.

tl;dr
    Probably like any ole indie fighter and died from lack of interest from the community's own lack.
    At least you brought the thread back up.Trying it out.
    のヮの
  • zman804zman804 Joined: Posts: 111
    So is this dead already? Because I just found out about the game and it is AWESOME and it'd be so sad if this was the last of it :/

I'll get on later, in about 4 hours or so, I haven't touched this game in forever haha