Art's Hobbies - DIY Acrylic Cases.

Comments

• MeshuggahMeshuggah Joined: Posts: 11
    Too bad shipping double the cost for one of these case to where I live. I'd be all over a custom hitbox if it wasn't for that.
    It's a pain living in Europe sometimes...
  • me_tanme_tan Joined: Posts: 18
    Agreed, I shipped mine to the UK and the shipping cost really stung.

Would work out better if we could find some kind of deal where we could get the acrylic cut over here, and shipped as a kit from a local supplier without having to go international, but Art still gets a cut of the cost for the design. Not just for the TEK case but for other things made of cut acrylic.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,610
    Its a very niche market, custom acrylic for arcade use.
    Most people don't go into the field as the market isn't very big and the profit margins are very thin.
    You can find a Laser Cut Acrylic shop that does generalize laser cut work. But you have to engineer your own designs (or hire someone to do that for you).
    And the services would cost more than what you get from Art + Shipping. Also you have to factor how much it cost of the R&D of making a custom design for your laser cut Acrylic (not cheap at all).
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • RedTag14RedTag14 Joined: Posts: 107
    @arthong Is there an option to get the spacers with your plexi JLF mounts? It's currently not on your site. If it can't be arranged, I might have to plastic weld 2 of them together to get the right height of 0.25" for a mod I'm working on. lol
  • Archdesigner03Archdesigner03 Joined: Posts: 20
    I'm very interested in this joystick case, but does any body know if a LS-40 can be mounted without modification?
  • me_tanme_tan Joined: Posts: 18
    I'm very interested in this joystick case, but does any body know if a LS-40 can be mounted without modification?

Yep, stick above your post has an LS-40-01 in it. Just put the spacers on the back side of the stick mounting plate instead of in between the mounting plate and the front panels, as I found the stick was too low down with it mounted the same way as a JLF would be.
  • fundandofundando monitor cyborg Joined: Posts: 479
    I just ordered one of these. Woot!
    I love to mod.
    Fightsticks, computers and cars.
    Check out my youtube for tutorials and more!!!
    >>>> http://tinyurl.com/zqsugqt
  • boogityboyboogityboy Impact-Dampened Joined: Posts: 308
    edited February 2016
    I was about to order a few custom art prints for my TE2 until I noticed Arts isn't cutting the holes for it properly... kind of defeats the purpose of having "easy swap" artwork. :(

Does anyone know who does quality prints like Arts but will cut the button holes properly so the art will fit over them, not under?

Edit: Sorry I don't know how this post ended up in this particular thread :D Where's the delete button...
    edited February 2016
    boogityboy wrote: »
    I was about to order a few custom art prints for my TE2 until I noticed Arts isn't cutting the holes for it properly... kind of defeats the purpose of having "easy swap" artwork. :(

Does anyone know who does quality prints like Arts but will cut the button holes properly so the art will fit over them, not under?

Edit: Sorry I don't know how this post ended up in this particular thread :D Where's the delete button...

There is no Delete Button,
    Only Zuul

Also No one does near the same quality for paper prints like Art.
  • diamonddoggydiamonddoggy Joined: Posts: 9
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: wrong thread
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 784
    Anyone here had success inserting hbsf-30's in the top panel without cracking the acrylic?
    I'm not adverse to sanding tabs down, but I want to know how much I'll be getting into it before I break out the paper.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,855
    Gamerfinger buttons plastic are reaaaally strong and I had trouble removing them from my Hori VLX and if that stick had a 1/16" plexi on it I'm sure it would of broke in pieces(1/32" plexi I'm not sure). I used pliers to push the tabs in then tap the bottom of the button to get them out, would of destroyed the tabs on Seimitsu and Sanwas yet these still work 100% minus a bit of dents in the plastic getting it out.
    I just removed them from my Hori SCV with 1/16 plexi from Art, and it was a serious pain.. Perhaps I need to put those back in to the SCV and get some obs-mx for the tek case.
    Thanks!
  • KoffeeKoffee Joined: Posts: 3
    Can you do custom layouts for top plates? I really wanna get one of your cases, but I'd be using it for rhythm games, which would require something other than the preset layouts.
  • Jaded_BuddhaJaded_Buddha Joined: Posts: 46
    edited March 2016
    Such a shame shipping to Australia is so expensive. Otherwise I would get one of these in a cases in a heartbeat, they look great!
    Post edited by Jaded_Buddha on
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 315
    @Lance702 hey can you post some close up picture of your wiring to the PCB. Thank you!
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,605
    edited March 2016
    I wish I thought up a better color scheme when I ordered mine. It's red/white, but I really want to go blue direction now lol. At least they are easy to swap out.
    edited March 2016
    Delete
    Post edited by oodk on
    will the Seimitsu LS-62-01 Joystick with Kowal Flat Plate Converter fit this case?
    The stick turned out great. Thanks Art!
    [Image stick]

Good to see Love for the Neo Geo
    @arthong emails you about add-on for the weight slots to my existed order to avoid extra shipping
  • jblairjblair so this is it huh? having standards use to be standard Joined: Posts: 1,335
    :bow: eagerly awaiting fighting edge options :bow:
  • DaveB1980DaveB1980 Joined: Posts: 6
    I found out about Art's TEK-Case and I am pretty much sold. I do have a question for those who have one though. If I wanted to put artwork in on the side panels, do I need to order any extra panels/parts/etc. when I place my order?

I'm still debating whether I want artwork on top of the stick or not. I saw an example stick in his how-to video for the assembly that had a clear top with some etching and a mirror bottom. That looked SICK!
  • WHITE_4ND_N3RDYWHITE_4ND_N3RDY Joined: Posts: 82
    edited March 2016
    I went with all clear and floresent blue on the side and a mirror bottom. I feel once all the wiring goes in it abstracts all the etching work. If I could do it again I'd go clear and do etching on the top face then go with black for the plate under the face. Black will really make your etching pop. If u want to see your work inside just go with a clear bottom. If u want to be flashy u can go mirror around all the sides. Its all personal preference but honestly I wasent very satisfied with going all clear and a mirror bottom. Its hard cause u try to picture in your head how it will turn out but u don't really know till u get it together!

One thing I'd like to suggest to Tek-Innovations would be if u could update your website and put together a virtual builder. So when u pick your pannels there could be a virtual piture of what the build would look like for the options provided. I feel it would really put more ease in the consumers getting a rough idea of what it will all look like.

I do like how u can order separate parts individually. I orderd myself another top etching design and nameplate so I could switch from MKX theme and SFV theme. Id, suggest splurging a little extra for extra pieces in case something does not float your boat or if u feel like changing it up.

U do not need to order extra parts for artwork on the sides. When out place your order with the extra artwork boxes filled out u will get a order #. From there u use that order # to submit your artwork. Tek-Innovations is good about giving u time to get your artwork together. Just let them know when your ready for everything to be summited!
    WHITE 4ND N3RDY: Acidmods admin, Controllermax staff member. Cement Masons Local 555, representing the triple nickel.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,605
    edited March 2016
    DaveB1980 wrote: »
    I found out about Art's TEK-Case and I am pretty much sold. I do have a question for those who have one though. If I wanted to put artwork in on the side panels, do I need to order any extra panels/parts/etc. when I place my order?

I'm still debating whether I want artwork on top of the stick or not. I saw an example stick in his how-to video for the assembly that had a clear top with some etching and a mirror bottom. That looked SICK!

Yes you have to buy the side/back "plexi covers". They come in a set, 2 side and 1 back(not bottom).

Yes you have to buy the side/back "plexi covers". They come in a set, 2 side and 1 back(not bottom).
    Cool, thanks for the info!

In the case assembly video on Art's website, he mentions doing another video for weight slots and putting in artwork, but I can't find a video explaining it. What can anyone tell me about the weight slots and how they work? And do I need to buy special weights to put into them?
  • Karr80Karr80 Joined: Posts: 97
    edited April 2016

Cool, thanks for the info!

In the case assembly video on Art's website, he mentions doing another video for weight slots and putting in artwork, but I can't find a video explaining it. What can anyone tell me about the weight slots and how they work? And do I need to buy special weights to put into them?

More info about the weight slots can be found in the post earlier in this thread.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/4315286/#Comment_4315286
    "It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent."
    Karr80 wrote: »
    More info about the weight slots can be found in the post earlier in this thread.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/4315286/#Comment_4315286
    Perfect, thank you!
  • Letram ChiLetram Chi Only for Pro Joined: Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hi @arthong

For Mad Catz V.S. Bottom Cover MCVS-BREG it is possible to choose another color with a design etched?

Thanks
    Letram Chi - FighterChile
    Youtube.com/LetramChi
    https://www.facebook.com/FighterChile/
  • mzamza Joined: Posts: 8
    Meshuggah wrote: »
    Too bad shipping double the cost for one of these case to where I live. I'd be all over a custom hitbox if it wasn't for that.
    It's a pain living in Europe sometimes...

yes.....europe=pain. shipping is hardcore.(dealbreaker)
  • Principlesof98Principlesof98 Joined: Posts: 19
    Love my tek hitbox![img][/img]20170416_173625_zps5vwfoad5.jpg
    [img][/img]20170416_173612_zpsc6lmgtoh.jpg
  • EldritchOnRyeEldritchOnRye Joined: Posts: 89
    edited May 8
    So I think I've got myself pretty much talked in to one of these in a hitbox configuration but I actually got hands on with a TE2+ tonight and was actually really blown away by the built quality. Between that PDP/Qanba Injustice stick I've been using and all the bad things I've read online about how the TE2 line feels I wasn't actually expecting much from it. Instead that's really what I've been hoping to find in terms of how the build quality felt and overall size/weight (and more what I was imagining the Qanba Dragon would feel like which makes that all the more intimidating). I think I've really got myself on the road to a hitbox layout though so can anyone compare/contrast for me how these cases feel compared to the TE2? All I have to compare it is a HRAP EX (which I absolutely hated) and that Injustice stick (which feels solid if hollow but has crap hardware).

That being said I would probably have ordered the case and all the parts already if I could decide on a color scheme already. So I did the only reasonable thing there was to do and spent my weekend learning a 3D package so I could rough together a model that I could approximate all the combinations I wanted on before committing to my regret! Didn't do the wiring or hardware or a few other bits because that would have just been crazy!...

hitbox_render.jpg

Think so far this transparent dark blue top/sides/supports with black bottom and clear front/back is in the lead right now (even though the blue probably came out a bit light based on the pictures/video I was eyeballing it off of).
    PSN: EldritchOnRye
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 369
    I ordered a Plexi and Art for my Panzer Hitbox 3 from Art's Hobbies on 4/27 and have yet to see anything else on it. I know they say 14 days but geez does it always take THAT long to get your stuff?
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 233
    It's a popular place so he usually has a ton of orders. My last one took 14 days exact.
    edited May 9
    @VarmintBaby Read his FAQ. This shouldn't come as a surprise. Other than Focus Attack, the guy is really the only big name in plexiglass and print and cut art services.

I've ordered hundreds of $$ worth of stuff from him. He delivers like clockwork.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • Principlesof98Principlesof98 Joined: Posts: 19
    I love my tek hitbox.
    edited June 13
    I love my tek hitbox.
    I love my tek [non]hitbox[es] :smiley:
    WA2Riyx.jpg
    Post edited by jopamo on
    Couple of questions that have come to mind while looking at parts tonight. It seems like the Brook UFB is bigger than some of the boards out there, does it fit with the PCB plates still? If not is there a suggested way of mounting it? Are there any compatibility issues with any particular buttons (leaning towards Seimitsu screw ins) or other parts I should avoid? Lastly (for now) is the plexi that you would cover the art with cut so it goes under the buttons or around them?
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited May 9
    Use adhesive PCB feet and span them across both plates like so:

uumat47.jpg

I've used Sanwa and Seimitsu and both snap-in and screw-ins without issue, with a clear art overlay plexi and without..
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,420
    Couple of questions that have come to mind while looking at parts tonight. It seems like the Brook UFB is bigger than some of the boards out there, does it fit with the PCB plates still? If not is there a suggested way of mounting it? Are there any compatibility issues with any particular buttons (leaning towards Seimitsu screw ins) or other parts I should avoid? Lastly (for now) is the plexi that you would cover the art with cut so it goes under the buttons or around them?

I don't own my own Tek-case (the current USD-CAD exchange rate is too crappy right now), but put together my brother's Tek-case a few years ago for him.

1) I've personally hand-cut my own PCB mounting-plates for my brother's Tek-case, depending on whichever PCB he was using. So I have one that fits a ChIMP SMD perfectly, another that fits a PS360+ perfectly, and yet another that fits an MC Cthulhu+IMPv2.

2) I've fit both Sanwas and Seimitsus in there. Sanwas snap-ins were a little tight; it made it easier to file down the little nubs under the rims to fit them in.

3) The plexi fits under the buttons. As far as I know, the Mad Catz TE2 is the only stick that made the plexi go around the buttons, for easy artwork swaps, a feature that I don't think most people cared about.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    edited May 9
    Thanks for the responses, figured that was going to be the case but would rather not make assumptions when trying to blindly order stuff online.
    jopamo wrote: »

That's kind of a brilliant way of doing it and I hadn't even considered that.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    It worked really well. I got the feet at Focus Attack, though I'm sure you could find comparable feet on the likes of Amazon, eBay, et. al.

https://www.focusattack.com/ez-snap-low-profile-adhesive-pcb-feet-set-of-4/
  • KnyghtFallKnyghtFall Kenji for MvCi Joined: Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    jopamo wrote: »

I've used Sanwa and Seimitsu and both snap-in and screw-ins without issue, with a clear art overlay plexi and without..

The internal wiring on this is super clean. Do you sell sticks/mods?
    VS game player for life. Copier of DNA. Fond of using anchors to smash stupid robots with Xs in their names.
    edited May 11
    Thanks! I don't offer anything (yet), but I've been thinking about it. :smile:
  • GamerillaGamerilla Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I was just admiring all of your designs. They all look so cool. I'm currently looking into ordering one of the tek cases (possibly hitbox style because I'm curious) but likely just a standard 8 button setup. Could anyone help me with figuring out what I need to get to build one of these? I've only used prebuilt fight sticks before. Like the Madcatz TE. I also have a Mayflash f500 that is good for modding. I've only done minor mods on them though like adding a different restrictor plate to the joystick and swapping buttons out for Sanwa buttons.

So you know, I need to build something that will work for the PS4 and possibly PC as well. It also needs to be legal for tournaments. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    edited June 13
    1. Get this PCB Kit.
    2. Get these PCB feet
    3. Get this USB Pass-thru in Black or Silver
    4.Get a short USB cable to run from PCB to internal connector of USB pass-thru.
    5. Get a long (4 meters or less) USB cable to connect to your console/PC.
    6. Order your joystick and buttons
    7. Order your TEK Case
    8. Install everything
    Post edited by jopamo on