Making a website for the American ST community

TetsuosanTetsuosan WatahhJoined: Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
I decided to make a website to cater to the NON JAPANESE ST community since nohoho's website focuses on the japanese community. I recently decided this since it's starting to become more and more difficult to gather info and videos since HD remix is overshadowing it.

The website is going to have bios of players, character strategies for said characters, and will have a section of embedded videos. Again this is to cater to our community not the japanese since there are tons of videos of them on youtube. We're also creating a login system so that you can offer constructive criticism.

What I'm asking of you the community is to give me content so that the website can go up asap. If you would like to be part of the bios page I would like a picture of you (If you want it up), what character you play, and a little bit about yourself. If you also want me to embed youtube videos I need the links to said videos. I'm also asking that if you have character strategies if you can send them to me so I can put them up as well. At the moment the only videos that our going up are the ones that DSP have on his page of us playing.

We have a splash page up right now if you want to check it out. It's www.dontblowthis.com.

Comments

• GrogGrog discombobulatingly Joined: Posts: 3,617
    John Rambo was telling me about this, very interested!
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    Well you could interview top American players and ask them a few things, like how they got into ST, why they like ST, why they play the character(s) that they do, and ask them for their favorite moment in ST history or something. If you want profiles for players then you'll need to solicit them actively. Like send out a bunch of PMs on SRK with a list of interview questions to whoever you want.

Also steal Nohoho's charts and diagrams but then have players offer a paragraph about each match. So ask Choi to do a chart for O.Sagat, or Afro for Boxer, or Nohoho for Blanka, CigarBob, Ganelon, and so on, and have them write a quick sentence or paragraph on each match. I love charts but numbers get boring quickly. Reading players concrete thoughts, like "this character has no anti-air" or "this character dies to throws" which makes the the match x-x, gives way more insight than just the raw numbers.

You could cover events in person like the SBO ST qualifiers and do in depth reports on those.

You could interview people who own ST cabinets/boards and ask them where they bought it from, the story behind obtaining the cabinet, and so on. You could even keep a running list of all ST board locations in the U.S. or keep a list of SRK members who own an ST board. Ask the owner of CTF about their ST cabinet or do a writeup on that. Like the first place XXX on the cab at CTF I think is DAM which is Damdai unless I'm imaging it. Maybe get the story behind how many quarters Damdai put into the machine to get #1.

Talk about the history of ST at EVO. The transition from arcade to console from 2003 to 2004. And then from 2004 to 2008 how the console version changed every year.

You could interview Ponder about GGPO and have him break down how he wrote ST into GGPO's code and what not.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
  • TetsuosanTetsuosan Watahh Joined: Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Well you could interview top American players and ask them a few things, like how they got into ST, why they like ST, why they play the character(s) that they do, and ask them for their favorite moment in ST history or something. If you want profiles for players then you'll need to solicit them actively. Like send out a bunch of PMs on SRK with a list of interview questions to whoever you want.

Also steal Nohoho's charts and diagrams but then have players offer a paragraph about each match. So ask Choi to do a chart for O.Sagat, or Afro for Boxer, or Nohoho for Blanka, CigarBob, Ganelon, and so on, and have them write a quick sentence or paragraph on each match. I love charts but numbers get boring quickly. Reading players concrete thoughts, like "this character has no anti-air" or "this character dies to throws" which makes the the match x-x, gives way more insight than just the raw numbers.

You could cover events in person like the SBO ST qualifiers and do in depth reports on those.

You could interview people who own ST cabinets/boards and ask them where they bought it from, the story behind obtaining the cabinet, and so on. You could even keep a running list of all ST board locations in the U.S. or keep a list of SRK members who own an ST board. Ask the owner of CTF about their ST cabinet or do a writeup on that. Like the first place XXX on the cab at CTF I think is DAM which is Damdai unless I'm imaging it. Maybe get the story behind how many quarters Damdai put into the machine to get #1.

Talk about the history of ST at EVO. The transition from arcade to console from 2003 to 2004. And then from 2004 to 2008 how the console version changed every year.

You could interview Ponder about GGPO and have him break down how he wrote ST into GGPO's code and what not.

Great ideas VF4. I plan on using all of them.

I plan on doing the write up on the hardware section since I have one and I have some decent knowledge on how CPS2 and Jamma works which is helpful for anyone that's trying to obtain one.

Speaking of character matchup charts I'm planning on doing a whole new one, since some of the matchups have changed over the years. I spoke with damdai about it and he said he would change some of the matchups that he contributed for Zangief. I like your idea of explaining the matchup since like you said it makes it less boring and gives you the answers right there of why "x" character beats "y" character.

I like your idea of the profile part so if you don't mind I'll use those same questions as a basis for everyone to explain a little about themselves to the community.

I will personally be at the qualifier this year so I'll try to do as many interviews as possible and try to get really good coverage of the event. Hopefully the site will be up and running so that I can try to do live updates.

Keep the ideas coming gentlemen so that we can have this site up and running very soon, and try to keep the ST scene alive!!!

Oh and by the way the site's name is an homage to a quote that Chris Doyle said to his brother the day they came to play at my house. It's on youtube on DSPs page lol.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Pull this shit together and you will have one person accessing your website here. No BS. And I already ask for permission to translate it into Portuguese and post it on a Brazilian SF website for the ones who do not speak English, with the proper credits and links to the original material, together with a request to access it at least once in order to give you one extra access.

I would also consider interviewing people who either do or have done a lot for the community, such as Fatboy, Nohoho, zaspacer and NKI (now in Japan). Also, some foreign top ST players, such as Professor Jones.
  • LoganKrawLoganKraw Joined: Posts: 69
    I decided to make a website to cater to the NON JAPANESE ST community since nohoho's website focuses on the japanese community. I recently decided this since it's starting to become more and more difficult to gather info and videos since HD remix is overshadowing it.

The website is going to have bios of players, character strategies for said characters, and will have a section of embedded videos. Again this is to cater to our community not the japanese since there are tons of videos of them on youtube. We're also creating a login system so that you can offer constructive criticism.

What I'm asking of you the community is to give me content so that the website can go up asap. If you would like to be part of the bios page I would like a picture of you (If you want it up), what character you play, and a little bit about yourself. If you also want me to embed youtube videos I need the links to said videos. I'm also asking that if you have character strategies if you can send them to me so I can put them up as well. At the moment the only videos that our going up are the ones that DSP have on his page of us playing.

We have a splash page up right now if you want to check it out. It's www.dontblowthis.com.

There is this website called fighter101.net and it has the most complete ST guide I have seen so far. SRK has more information overall when it comes to matchups and text, but these guys have really taken it one step ahead and created videos for every character with their main basic combos, shananingans, juggles and such.

The guide:
    http://fighter101.net/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=33&Itemid=32

The website is mainly in spanish but they have translated the entire ST guide to english. They even have a video that shows you how to do Super Cancels in both normal time and slow motion, look at this:

The guide still needs more material but they have said they will keep updating and just recently added the super cancels. There are also some good articles on arcade stick use and why its better than a gamepad.

In conclusion i would say this is the most complete guide so far as it really takes you by the hand and teaches you how to do all these things. If they keep updating it with things like renda cancels and character specific videos of strategies against other characters, then it will be king of the hill for ST websites.
    Double post.
  • John Rambo.John Rambo. banned Joined: Posts: 185
    actually i just changed my mind,

that youtube channel you posted has 12 subscribers with about 80 views per video.

the channel we play on has 25,000 subs and the videos of us playing st get about 10,000 views each, so seems to me we might be just as qualified to have a site :-)

not to mention the title of the thread is "Making a website for the American ST community " with people suggesting things they want to see like "interview top American players, cover events in person like the SBO ST qualifiers and do in depth reports on those, interview people who own ST cabinets/boards and ask them where they bought it from, the story behind obtaining the cabinet, and so on,Talk about the history of ST at EVO"

and then you respond with a site thats mostly in spanish and contains none of these things.

site on.
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291

that youtube channel you posted has 12 subscribers with about 80 views per video.

the channel we play on has 25,000 subs and the videos of us playing st get about 10,000 views each, so seems to me we might be just as qualified to have a site :-)

not to mention the title of the thread is "Making a website for the American ST community " with people suggesting things they want to see like "interview top American players, cover events in person like the SBO ST qualifiers and do in depth reports on those, interview people who own ST cabinets/boards and ask them where they bought it from, the story behind obtaining the cabinet, and so on,Talk about the history of ST at EVO"

and then you respond with a site thats mostly in spanish and contains none of these things.

site on.

If someone/anyone does something positive for ST we should be thankful for it. So his site isn't what you had in mind, it doesn't mean you should bash him....
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne

site on.

If someone/anyone does something positive for ST we should be thankful for it. So his site isn't what you had in mind, it doesn't mean you should bash him....
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne

uh who is bashing who, this is exactly what he was doing

tetsuosan made this thread to promote his site and this fellow comes in promoting what he calls the "king of st sites" , basically saying he cant do it better, which is just in poor taste and manners.

yes anyone doing good for st is great, he should make a seperate thread if he loves his site and wants to post links, not try to hijack someone else's
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    No it was not. There ain't a single line which reads or suggests that Tetsuosan should not make his website. He has only posted about a website he thinks is good, in the very least it should serve as a motivation to provide better content or either ask for permission or link what he thinks is good enough.

Views mean nothing, that's like saying Britney Spears is more qualified for making music records than every violin solist in the world as she sells more and gets more radio/TV repoductions. I had never seen that video about super cancelling and I suppose most have not either, and still it is by far the best presentation of how to cancel the super. IIRC, the very first post in the SRK ST Ryu thread is a newcomer question about how to do it. Next time I see it asked around here, I'll certainly link it.
    the website he posted is great and that video is focking great as well, yet putting it into this thread comes off as disrespectful. Its as if to say no other site is needed since this "king of st sites" already exists, yeah he didnt say that outright but the context of it implies that, he also didnt say he was posting it for any constructive reason but ill take your word for it.

i didnt post that about view counts to be a pompous jerk, just to give validity to tetsuosans project, and yes view counts do actually matter since britney would have a much better time getting people to play st than some mere violinists
    OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA Johm Rambo I salute you.....you have got to be the biggest internet thug ive ever seen on a forum.

That website fighter101 isnt even mine. Granted i know the creator because i play him at GGPO, but i wasnt giving you a heads up to keep you from creating your own site.

As far as i know the f101 website is only like 4 months old so if they have very few views its because they havent adversited much. I dont kow of any ST enthusiast that would not tell these guys that they have done a great job with their guide.

My bad for posting in your topic, wont happen again.
    OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA Johm Rambo I salute you.....you have got to be the biggest internet thug ive ever seen on a forum.

That website fighter101 isnt even mine. Granted i know the creator because i play him at GGPO, but i wasnt giving you a heads up to keep you from creating your own site.

As far as i know the f101 website is only like 4 months old so if they have very few views its because they havent adversited much. I dont kow of any ST enthusiast that would not tell these guys that they have done a great job with their guide.

My bad for posting in your topic, wont happen again.
    well i just talked with soto and fighter101 on ggpo and we are going to combine our efforts since they are heavy on the strategy side and we are more about players and match vids. this should work really well

i even made a thread for them on srk to help promote them, hopefully they will jump in there and explain the great site they made. http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=239355&p=9004251#post9004251

thanks to logankraw for helping to hype these sites

i will now depart and once again promise myself to never again dirty my hands in the pure feces that is this website, thanks kids
    i will now depart and once again promise myself to never again dirty my hands in the pure feces that is this website, thanks kids

That's not going to help your friends website. Honestly, it's just sad that an OG ST player like you can get it so wrong.
    SRK is shit though :rofl:
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Don't worry about it, Rambo. Fighter101 has some great how-to guide videos that would really help new folks and I don't think anyone disagrees with that; hopefully, he'll get more publicity. I know you're both chill dudes so I'm glad you all were able to clear up the misunderstanding on GGPO.

There will always be detractors but I'm certainly interested in the new site; hope you all get it up soon. One suggestion I would have is maybe step-by-step commentate one of your weekly session matches afterward so intermediate players realize how much strategy and execution (as well as familiarity of system mechanics) go into every move. ST fans can't afford to get into random arguments with one another.
    Don't worry about it, Rambo. Fighter101 has some great how-to guide videos that would really help new folks and I don't think anyone disagrees with that; hopefully, he'll get more publicity. I know you're both chill dudes so I'm glad you all were able to clear up the misunderstanding on GGPO.

There will always be detractors but I'm certainly interested in the new site; hope you all get it up soon. One suggestion I would have is maybe step-by-step commentate one of your weekly session matches afterward so intermediate players realize how much strategy and execution (as well as familiarity of system mechanics) go into every move. ST fans can't afford to get into random arguments with one another.

Oh wow I really like that idea, a lot of other games and even speed runs have audio commentary that you can download along with the video. Maybe record the match videos, and record yourself saying what your thoughts are while rewatching the video and saying something like "Ok I'm paused at the 5 second marker and unpausing in 3... 2... 1..." so that listeners can follow with.
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    I saw the f101 website has video tutorial for a lot of characters.

The ST wiki also has a lot of cool strategies for each char but they are all WRITTEN instructions.

If we can make videos of those strategies in action it'll be much easier to digest and learn.
    BnB combo. Anti Air strategy. All tick throw demos, etc etc. (including hand movements will be even cooler!)

Also, a great part of the learning the matchup is to know what normal to use, when the other character use a particular normal / special in a particular distance.

If we can break these down to a flowchart (lol) it'll be cool.

Just a thought.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    These are great ideas. A similar idea would be to have two people with different characters talk about a particular matchup, then play several matches.
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    Oh wow I really like that idea, a lot of other games and even speed runs have audio commentary that you can download along with the video. Maybe record the match videos, and record yourself saying what your thoughts are while rewatching the video and saying something like "Ok I'm paused at the 5 second marker and unpausing in 3... 2... 1..." so that listeners can follow with.
    This has been going on in the RTS community for years. You download a replay of Warcraft III, download an .mp3 file that has match analysis, you start the .mp3 and the commentator says "pause at the 15 second mark of the replay", so you start WCIII and load the replay, put the replay on 15 seconds, then unpause in sync with the audio file. Starcraft even had a tool called RWA (replay with audio) where you could download a modified replay file that had an .ogg audio file embedded into it. The project was great, I was even called on to do a few commentaries for it back when I was way into Brood War. The problem was that every time SC:BW got patched though the old replays became obsolete. The way that everyone does it now is either with a separate .mp3 with the replay in a .zip file. Or they do a live commentary of a match and then record the video and post it to YouTube.

The only thing is that fighting games move very quickly for analysis to be done on the fly. At VFDC we used to have people who would take a video of a match, then pause during the match, overlay paragraphs of text, then resume the match. So you'd see someone land an attack, the match would stop, and text would appear saying "Jacky just landed an elbow, that puts him +9 frames, his best options are throw or launcher, the last time he went for a throw, so this time he mixes it up with a launcher," then the video resumes and you see Jacky go for the launcher.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    Yeah I actually had WCReplays in mind when I posted that :rofl:
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
    Just wanted to say that the website should be going live in a few days. I have very little content on the site but have a lot of videos of us playing. Any contributions that people might have like character strategies, bios of yourself, or videos please feel free to pm them to me so that I may input them into the site.
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    site looks good dude
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    Damn, this looks impressive.
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • Fighter21Fighter21 Joined: Posts: 68
    Tetsuosan, I was looking over the Balrog FAQ that you have on your sight and I was wondering if you will put more Balrog stuff, because as a Balrog player I didnt find the FAQ very helpful in the matchup section.
    AKA SuperrV
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    Tetsuosan, I was looking over the Balrog FAQ that you have on your sight and I was wondering if you will put more Balrog stuff, because as a Balrog player I didnt find the FAQ very helpful in the matchup section.

I wrote that FAQ, it definitely still needs a lot of work, could you be more specific about which matchup you are having problems with and why?

edit: Site is looking GREAT btw, please let me know if you ever need any help...
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    Oh man this is nice !° Your work is much appreciated good sir ! Got dam us ST heads are some passionate ass mutha flowers man. We love our fukin game to death ! ST fo life, cant stop wont stop.
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • Fighter21Fighter21 Joined: Posts: 68
    I wrote that FAQ, it definitely still needs a lot of work, could you be more specific about which matchup you are having problems with and why?

Oh wow thats really considerate of you. Well, im struggling with the Zangief, Guile and Chun Li matchup especially. Chun Lis jumping short is too good. What beats Zangiefs kick and punch lariats also zangiefs cr normals. And how can I get in on Guile. Its not that it wasnt helpful its just that since Ive only played the game a year and a half, I need more of a strategy at what ranges that I should be in and where I shouldnt be. I shouldve just looked at the shoryuken.com wiki page.
    AKA SuperrV
    I'll post as much as I can tommorow, just got home and sleepy. :)

Btw there is an error I believe in the matchup section, I believe chun's fireballs do more stun than your Standing fierce, so if you keep trading you win on dmg but risk getting dizzied...can anyone confirm?
    I'll post as much as I can tommorow, just got home and sleepy. :)

Btw there is an error I believe in the matchup section, I believe chun's fireballs do more stun than your Standing fierce, so if you keep trading you win on dmg but risk getting dizzied...can anyone confirm?
  • othartheomothartheom recovering hyou bal Joined: Posts: 116
    Hey guys I just wanted to say GREAT JOB so far and I am excited to see the site filled out more. Keep fighting the good fight and GO ST!
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to do some write ups soon about CPS2 hardware and try to do a character strat for deejay and thawk. I'm going to try to do some interviews at the SBO qualifier since I'll be in tenessee playing you guys. Like I said before feel free to pm me with tournament dates, character strats, bios of yourselves, and videos so that we may continue keeping the site moving. Any feedback good or bad please feel free to tell me so that we may have a better site for the community!!
    Oh wow thats really considerate of you. Well, im struggling with the Zangief, Guile and Chun Li matchup especially. Chun Lis jumping short is too good. What beats Zangiefs kick and punch lariats also zangiefs cr normals. And how can I get in on Guile. Its not that it wasnt helpful its just that since Ive only played the game a year and a half, I need more of a strategy at what ranges that I should be in and where I shouldnt be. I shouldve just looked at the shoryuken.com wiki page.

Hi, sorry this is late but I don't have a PC at home, and it's a pain in the butt to type long paragraphs on my phone at home. Off the top of my head here are some tips:

Zangief: There was a VERY VERY GOOD Gief player named XTG up here (now in TX), and I have played Boxer v. Gief probably more than any other match in Super Turbo. The matchup is so INTERESTING imo, I still to this day don't have a strong opinion on who wins this matchup, I think it's probably 5-5 because I just feel that it is completely up to who is the better player...but then when I lose HARD 10 in a row it is of course easy to think, this matchup is horrible. :wink:

Anyways, I low rush ALL DAY (nothing but jab low rush of course), from a good mid-spacing. Kick rush can beat lariat reliably, but sometimes you will just get smacked out of it, too. You can go backwards and whiff short kick rush, and if you see him start a lariat, do kickrush super to cleanly beat lariat, but straight punch super loses to lariat every time.

If you don't have a charge, never try to instead trip lariats. On blocked greenhands you can throw, but I prefer cr. MP>Low Rush to punish. The situation you most want to avoid is a knockdown because Gief can safejump and then do SPD/FAB BS on you, and there is nearly nothing you can do. If you wakeup and reversal headbutt, he will block and you will be punished HARD, if you get knocked down in the corner you're pretty much dead (as you should be). If you get knocked down midscreen and Gief safe jumps or is right next to you, I often just hold up/back and pray, even if you get hit once or twice but remain alive, you might live to fight another day, and it's better than being SPD'd or FAB'd.

Guile: I think of this match as three seperate matches per round: 1) The first 0.5 seconds of the round, 2) After part 1 is finished, the part where Guile retreats and you now have to get in, and 3) You getting in (if Guile doesn't kill you during step 2).

In the first 0.5 seconds of the round, if Guile starts with an immediate sonic boom, your st. Fierce will beat him cleanly, and even if you're a little late, you will trade and both be knocked back a bit (but you win on damage, so even that 'tie' leaves you ahead). However, if he starts off with a flash kick immediately, it will beat low rush or the st. Fierce Punch. So I either start with st. Fierce, kick rush >throw/headbutt, or do nothing and try to jump over a boom or basically "react" to what he does.

For step 2), this is obviously the hardest part, because you are playing Gilly's game. I try to not get cute with J. Neutral Fierce over booms (Jump straight up, and press forward+FP over a sonic boom to advance a little bit instead of jumping towards over it). The time I will J. Neutral Fierce is when I think Gilly will boom, then jump forward and try to air-to-air me, because J. Neutral Fierce is way better air to air than jump forward fierce. Try to neutral jump over booms a lot so that Guile doesn't "train" you to jump forward into a bad situation, you want to be jumping forward safely, which means you are a bit off of the ground by the time Guile is booming. You need to play this matchup against a really good Guile for a long time to get the feel of when it is safe to jump forward. You can also jab headbutt through booms too. If you get meter and are fullscreen, if Guile throws a slow boom you can of coarse do short kickrush>super to punish, but that is very rare for them to make that mistake.

Step 3) Killing Guile when he's in the corner (much harder to do in HDR due to improved Flashkick): This is not that different from every other character. He is going to crouch in d/b, and you have to jump in when he booms incorrectly and kill him with j. RH, cr. MK/MP>Low rush, or when he is scared to pull the trigger you short kick rush>throw, or kick rush>headbutt to beat when you think he will counter throw.

Chun Li: This matchup starts very similar to Guile in that your st. Fierce at the start of the round will beat any of her fireballs. What I find REALLY hard to deal with is if she spams lightning legs a hair's breadth in front of you, because you cannot walk backwards due to proximity block (or whatever it's called), and you can't jump attack her, and she can stop anytime and instantly cr. mk or throw. I think J. MP is your best air-to-ground when she does this, because the hard buttons sure don't work well. I would try to always avoid this range against her because of how good fireball, lightning leg, and cr. mk or walkup mini-SPD are. It is better to stay at midrange or even far range against Chun Li than be up in her face IMO.

From fullscreen it is great to bait her into a fireball war, because Chun Li players might not realize you can beat her fullscreen even if you don't have a fireball. If she FB's fullscreen you can beat or trade with her with mp straight rush,and you will win HEAVILY on damage, beware of dizzies though. Also from fullscreen you should short kick rush forward, and easily visually confirm if she fireballs and then you can super through it to punish.

I'm rushing to type this up before work, if you have more specific questions, shoot away!
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    Yeah, to add to what Airthrow posted. In the Gief matchup, it's definitely 6-4 in Gief's favor. I like doing low jab rush from the range where it'll hit with just the tip of his glove; this way it's much, much safer and you're at less risk of getting tripped with Gief's problematic low roundhouse. At that same magical range, Gief's can't really spam standing jabs either because the "hit with the tip" low jab rush *should* trade favorably. Also if he spams standing jab, st.Fierce or straight jab rush work well, but beware when he cancels the jabs into a lariat which will knock you down. It's still not easy as you have to play very carefully, and react correctly if he jumps forward. Also if he lariats at close range I prefer using cr.MK as it's much safer. If you try cr.roundhouse from too close, you'll whiff and actually get knocked down, or even worse he can footsie your cr.roundhouse and SPD you. So if he lariats from close range, try a completely safe cr.MK, and if it whiffs, jump backwards quickly to a safer distance. Jump backwards LK is an excellent safe move to get some breathing space, and it often happens to tag Gief when he's jumping forward.

Against Guile, cr.MK is a great move stuffer at close range. As Airthrow points out, you can't just blindly jump forwards (or even neutral jump) because Guile can easily counter that with backfist, cr.fierce, or a jumping roundhouse for example. The key is knowing when it's safe to jump forward -- and when you do jump forward, it's well timed. I like j.MK over j.fierce because it tends to stuff Guile's cr.fierce anti-air a lot better. A good Boxer to watch is Shiki (he uses yellow Boxer) -- he often waits patiently at fullscreen, until the Guile gets antsy and moves forward, and that's when he times a towards jump perfectly.

Chun is really annoying, and for me it really depends on the style they play. Good Chun's will zone very well with fb's, and stop your rushes with cr.MK, cr.HK, lightning legs, and the odd jump neutral attack landing on your rush. Build meter if she's zoning you. Take advantage of Rog's overpowered normals and trade as often as you can to come out on top damage-wise. Safe jump on her wakeup into hit confirmable cr.jab->st.jab->straight rush. Avoid situations like Airthrow described where you're getting caged in at close range without charge (i.e. can't beat lightning legs without charge; if you jump in you risk getting upkicked if she has a down charge, so pay attention to when she fireballs and loses that down charge).

Chun is also annoying with her gay jumping normals which are really hard to anti-air using kick rush as the timing is very luck dependent. Often the kick rush will just whiff and you end up getting hit or thrown, so it's risky. If she jumps at you from a bad distance you can of course try cr.Fierce or headbutt. She'll often do a neckbreaker crossup on your wakeup which can be annoying, and there's really nothing you can do about it but block it.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
    ^This is all excellent stuff, I'm gonna try to jump in with cr. mk against Gilly and see if that works better, cus his cr. Fierce is beating my jump ins waaay too much...
  • sK1LLzk1LLzsK1LLzk1LLz Joined: Posts: 33
    Two things.

I think that you guys should really have a forum on your site, it really allows for a lot more communication.

If you use blip.tv for your embedded videos you could make revenue off of them when people watch them. This could easily cut the cost of the website and help it run itself.
  • sK1LLzk1LLzsK1LLzk1LLz Joined: Posts: 33
    double post glitch
    We got a lot of interest in a forum so hopefully in the next two weeks it will get implemented in.

At the moment we're extremely surprised at how many people are showing up to the site. At the same time were trying to create content to put in so that visitors don't get turned off by the same old. With that being said I'm going to try to do video interviews with some of the players at the qualifier so if you have any questions that you would like answered feel free to email us at dontblowthis@yahoo.com.