Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (UMK3)

OJuggernautOOJuggernautO Tyler "Juggs" SmithJoined: Posts: 512
With the recent interest in UMK3, I decided to make this thread. First of all, it would benefit you the most by visiting the sites located in my sig. (www.UltimateMK.com / www.ClassicMK.com / www.MortalKombatEmpires.com) A great majority of the best UMK3 players are on these sites, as well as any information you could possibly need about UMK3.

UMK3 can be played online on XBLA, MAME/Kaillera/P2P, and the Nintendo DS. Whichever you play on is your choice, though there is some differences in the DS version of the game. And you can no longer download UMK3 on XBLA, since Midway is no longer affiliated with MK. So presumably the best option would be on Kaillera, which is free anyway. Visit the aforementioned sites to learn how to accomplish this.

There is several upcoming events that will be holding UMK3 tournaments. Such as on June 11-13 in NYC, Road to EVO 2. UMK3 will be streamed at this event by Team Spooky, so be sure if you can't attend the tournament to at least visit the stream. All the information about the tournament in general can be located here: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=222564

This thread can also be a discussion thread for UMK3. And any questions you might have, you can ask them here and I will try to answer them asap. I realize this forum is not in love with MK games, but if you dislike UMK3, just don't visit this thread.

Now, a few things about UMK3.

UMK3 has a very small top tier, a huge mid tier, and a small bottom tier. There are only a mere handful of universal infinites and almost all characters have counter characters who are traditionally ranked very differently otherwise and might not stand a chance against certain ones in between. All exploits other than the 3 or so universal infinites in the game, are so limited or difficult that they don't break the game. UMK3 is a fairly balanced game, this is a misconception due to there always being a Human Smoke or Kabal in the finals. While they are the best two characters in the game, as was said above, every character can compete. And UMK3 just doesn't get the numbers as most games, so the variety in character choice is limited.

UMK3 has a lot to it: Ground Combos, Set-ups, Positioning, Spacing, Footsies, Blocking, Run, Run Jabs, Kara Jabs, Corner Runjabs, Throw Defense, Crossups, Crossup Throws, Special Moves, Punishers, Anti Air, Damage Protection, Pushback, Corner Resets, Fake Ducking, Wake Ups, Glitch Canceling, Relaunch Combos, Buffering/Block Buffering and Off The Grounds. Mind Games play a huge role in UMK3 too. Most of these things are known in other fighters as well.

Most if not all of this is covered in the guides on UltimateMK.com. There is also character specific guides there as well, which are very detailed might I add.

Again, any questions you have, please post them! ;)

For match videos from various players, visit this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUltimateMK

Button set-up for MAME: Thanks to snaek

button 1 = hp
button 2 = bk
button 3 = hk
button 4 = lp
button 5 = lk
button 6 = rn

so it looks like this:
  1   3
  4   5

or if you prefer a standard-style 6 button layout:
1 6 3
4 2 5
For all things competitive MK, and all MK9 info, visit TYM.com! Link below.

www.TestYourMight.com

Comments

• RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,677
    Heh, if only UMK3 was on FBA, umk3 GGPO would be gdlk....

But yeah.. UMK3 is such a under appreciated game, I wish people would stop bashing it because it has "Mortal Kombat" in its name.
  • OJuggernautOOJuggernautO Tyler "Juggs" Smith Joined: Posts: 512
    Agreed, the current online services for UMK3 doesn't do the game justice. If UMK3 was on GGPO, that WOULD be gdlk!

www.TestYourMight.com
  • Black ShroudBlack Shroud Spirits Society Joined: Posts: 1,167
    nFBA devs expressed their earnest desire to add UMK3 support.....not!
    [ Samurai Shodown Spirits Society ] at [ http://spirits.kaillera.ru ]
    [ Ten Chi Kai Byaku ] at [ http://spirits.kaillera.ru/tckb/ ]
  • digimonemporerdigimonemporer Joined: Posts: 2,612
    Great thread. Hope more people step up and learn/play UMK3. I personally will be down to play on MAME, so if anyone wants to game (p2p) send me a PM or post up. :tup:

EDIT: UMK3 on GGPO would be auto WIN!
    No signature here. Nope...not one.
  • ChiroToBChiroToB Joined: Posts: 139
    Great thread. Hope more people step up and learn/play UMK3. I personally will be down to play on MAME, so if anyone wants to game (p2p) send me a PM or post up. :tup:

EDIT: UMK3 on GGPO would be auto WIN!

Yeah, we tried to get the FBA guys to code it for FBA but they were very resistant. Make sure you hit us up on the sites in Juggs and my sigs and get down with us in some games!
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
  • Tim StaticTim Static Kid Thunder!! Joined: Posts: 4,635 mod
    Thank god. Someone took the hint i gave to make a thread for it. I've made enough MK threads here :wgrin:

But people (everyone) need to realize that UMK3 is a top tier fighter and shouldnt be grouped together with MK in general. Listen to the stream from ECT.

The game is hype and needs more love. Head to http://ultimatemk.com/ for all you need to know on how to play it.

Also check out http://mortalkombatempires.com/forum/forum.php & http://classicmk.com/index.php just like in Jugg's sig.

any questions, feel free to PM me anytime or hit me up @ UMKStatic on AIM :coffee:
  • KerseyKersey Cyrax Wins Joined: Posts: 504
    I love this game. I used to play on XBL a lot, but now its all laggy South Americans on and I don't have a proper stick. Are Shock and the guys going to make a trip to Evo this year?
  • Kim Sue-ilKim Sue-il Call me JoJo! Joined: Posts: 1,799
    Just recently bought a UMK3 PCB for my Supergun. I can truely die a happy man and stop playing PSX MKT.
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

UMK3/SFEX2+/JJBA: HFTF > other fighters
    Well if MAME runs UMK3 pretty well, I think I'll be a registering to www.ultimatemk.com today .:cool:
    Are Shock and the guys going to make a trip to Evo this year?

no, even tho UMK3 should be @ Evo :coffee:
    Just recently bought a UMK3 PCB for my Supergun. I can truely die a happy man and stop playing PSX MKT.

Awesome. i fucking HATE MKT with a passion lol
    Well if MAME runs UMK3 pretty well, I think I'll be a registering to www.ultimatemk.com today .:cool:

attaboy, Webster

(imaginary ++++rep)
  • snaeksnaek ihearthawthats Joined: Posts: 367
    was lookin at the tier list on ultimatemk.com... what happened to mileena in umk3? i've always liked the mk series, but never played it that seriously. i used to use mileena a lot in mk2, can someone explain to me why shes so bad in umk3 compared to mk2?
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge MAD STRUGGLE Joined: Posts: 15,902
    Netplay on MAME? I have to get on this. I NEED some way to play UMK3.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
    was lookin at the tier list on ultimatemk.com... what happened to mileena in umk3? i've always liked the mk series, but never played it that seriously. i used to use mileena a lot in mk2, can someone explain to me why shes so bad in umk3 compared to mk2?

Well briefly, MK2 & UMK3 are completely different, so just because a character is top tier in one game doesnt mean anything in another.

But also, for UMK3 Mileena, they slowed down the sai charge time to eliminate the auto-fire sai from MK2. But she also has to work very hard to get good damage, and the only 2 non projectile specials she has if blocked, leave her in a world of hurt to be punished when blocked. But she is fun to play with, has some nasty combos with her leg combo pop up, and if you ever saw Hanzo play Mileena, you'd think she is top tier. LMAO :coffee:
  • OutkastOutkast Go Clippers Joined: Posts: 346
    Is there a youtube channel with a good selection of match vids?
    http://8wayrun.com/
    Play Soul Calibur 5......
    Is there a youtube channel with a good selection of match vids?

Here is a good start: http://www.youtube.com/user/theultimatemk
  • BlaiseBlaise Greene Joined: Posts: 560
    I tried playing MK2 recently on MAME (by myself) and it felt dated. MK3 looks pretty sick though. I used to play MK 1, 2, 3 & 4 all the time when I was younger but I remember nothing about them. When it comes to sticks, what do you guys thing the best button layout is?

For MK 1 & 2, mine are

HP BL HK --
    LP BL LK --

For MK3 I'm thinking of doing

-- HP BL HK
    R LP BL LK

Trying to keep it as close to arcade setting as possible. On a side note, the only way I see MK getting big again if they release a new game that brings back some of the nostalgia factor. Imagine a new 2D MK with HD digitized sprites...... or maybe like MK4 but with much imporved graphics (obviously). What do ya think about the subject of popularity, breathing some life into this deadish horse?
    NAH4L
    On MAME which version of UMK3 is recommended?
  • EWAShockEWAShock (`~^.UMK3 Sucks.^~`) Joined: Posts: 835
    You want UMK3 1.2, Tim, is that the page Simon started? I have original copies of a lot of vids from all different players over the years that I'm going to send him so they can be the best quality possible.
    www.kombatnetwork.com - 11 years of building the MK tournament scene
    testyourmight.com - the MK community
    www.ultimatemk.com - Your Source for UMK3 Competition
    Top 0.017% in ranked matches for UMK3 on XBLA
    Tim, is that the page Simon started? I have original copies of a lot of vids from all different players over the years that I'm going to send him so they can be the best quality possible.

Yes, sir. That is it. And there is already some great shit on there via ded. :wgrin:
    K got it. Any recommended MAME properties for umk3 1.2 (I think I am playing the game at appropriate speeds)? Are there any negatives of this version compared to the arcade version (anything game breaking)?

I must say: playing this game on PAD, makes me a very happy LAD!!! :lol:
    Yeah, UMK3 version 1.2 is the tournament standard version. For online play, Mame32k 64 is the easiest way to play with unlockable hiddens via a cheat function.
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
    K got it. Any recommended MAME properties for umk3 1.2 (I think I am playing the game at appropriate speeds)? Are there any negatives of this version compared to the arcade version (anything game breaking)?

I must say: playing this game on PAD, makes me a very happy LAD!!! :lol:
    But playing on stick would do the trick.

Mame version is exact same as the arcade in terms of gameplay, because it is the arcade. Just make sure you have it on the correct aspect and that it's running 100% at 53.2 fps no frame skip
  • MaDWaKMaDWaK madwak2dbasedgod Joined: Posts: 1,414
    yeah I can vouche for this game being godlike. the only reason I stopped playing as much is because the XBL community are 90% assholes, and not too much offline comp. I need to step my mame game up though.

another thing about this game that I think people will like is the versitility of playstyles per character.. what I mean by that is almost any character can have a rushdown style of gameplay, or a zoning/turtling style. and It asks for the right amount in terms of execution. you can be very successful if your execution is ass, if you have those off days, or if your always on point, and advanced combos arent that hard to learn.
    Yeah MK2 is nothing compared to UMK3, I'd play any 3D MK over it (and that is saying something lol)

Is P2P Mame the best way to play this online? I remember hating Kaillera and actually switching to the SNES version (crap port but zbattle still offered a better online experience for me) because of the lag. Lag is very noticeable in a fast paced game like UMK3.

And MKT wasn't THAT bad if you don't mind UMK3 with added broken characters, MK2 Raiden and Baraka were awesome, I just wish they took more time testing the game :/
    Yeah, p2p mame is def. the best way to play.
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
    What are the changes from version 1.1 to 1.2? It was my understanding that the revisions were cpu A.I. related. Did the early versions change the gameplay? My PCB is a 1.1 revision. Should I upgrade and change the roms?
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

• KonqrrKonqrr My wand is ready... Zatanna. Joined: Posts: 1,135
    Revision 1.1 had a glitch where if you beat the game and chose the Yin-Yang icon to fight Ermac, then beat him and let him fall down instead of finishing him off, you would get a free game. I'm sure there might have been something else too, I forget. 1.1 and 1.2 are vitually identical.
    Injustice - Killer Frost, Zatanna, Hawkgirl; MK9 - Kitana, Kabal; KI - Orchid, Spinal
    SC - Ivy; AE - Chun Li, Balrog, Cammy; TTT2 - Nina, Baek, Jun
    Big AI change from 1.1 to 1.2 was how the CPU reacts after flailback moves, like teleport punches for example, all CPU in 1.2 will either duck or attempt counters if you attack after contacting a flailback move, but sometimes it still enables them to get hit, like for example, jump back, kick, CPU projectiles, you TP, they flail, free combo in 1.1, but in 1.2 they will counter you, however if you do something like a spear vs certain characters, like Sektor, he will teleport and get hit. Still stupid AI. Also when they run at you in 1.1, and you jump, they are more likely to anti air you, in 1.2, they will often continue to run right into a starter combo. Otherwise no real 1 on 1 changes.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,540
    UMK3 on GGPO would be so fun..

latest FBA has support for UMK3 on Sega Genesis.. that's a pretty decent version, you might bug Ponder to add it
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
    ^Most of the MK ports are pretty bad, but I guess it would be better then nothing.
  • GwynLovesMilkGwynLovesMilk Joined: Posts: 6,077
    Anybody else completely pissed off about UMK3 being taken off of XBLA?
    If you want to write a book you have to live a life that's worth sealing in ink.
    Anybody else completely pissed off about UMK3 being taken off of XBLA?

Yeah it's pretty messed up. If you had it previously downloaded you can still play it. Though when you search for a game now, there's like 20+ empty slots of bots or something. So it's pretty hard to find a match. That's why sites like in my sig are great so you can find players to play.

www.TestYourMight.com
    anyone know what i am getting a comctl32.dll error with mame32k 64?

i downloaded it from here: http://www.darktemplarz.com/downloads.php

is there a recommended source to download a working mame 32k 64?
    I remember SNES zBattle UMK3 being pretty hot 5-6 years ago. I'd usually play that on my crappy PC, whenever the laptop was occupied. This was around the time I played in Shock's Darktemplarz / Darkaddicts kaillera room.

• GwynLovesMilkGwynLovesMilk Joined: Posts: 6,077
    Yeah it's pretty messed up. If you had it previously downloaded you can still play it. Though when you search for a game now, there's like 20+ empty slots of bots or something. So it's pretty hard to find a match. That's why sites like in my sig are great so you can find players to play.

Might have to bust out MAME and get some games in, I miss that game way too much. =/
    If you want to write a book you have to live a life that's worth sealing in ink.
  • m121akumam121akuma Power to Tearer Joined: Posts: 1,993
    I must admit, I do miss my copy of UMK for DS. I may have to rebuy it at some point in the near future.
    Me: You want a new console game? That's nice. Here's a new arcade version. Keep those petitions coming, we need more toilet paper
    FurryCurry: lol. make that your srk sig.
    Me: Done and done
    anyone know what i am getting a comctl32.dll error with mame32k 64?

i downloaded it from here: http://www.darktemplarz.com/downloads.php

is there a recommended source to download a working mame 32k 64?

Haven't figured it out yet myself, you can still play it on Vista/7 but you have to manually edit the cfg which is annoying if you've never used it before as well since you can't access game properties. I'll try to figure it out tonight.
    Alright I really appreciate that. I'm running on Vista too.

If there's a better place to download a more update version of mame32k 64, i'm all ears. :D
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    I like UMK, but they only have it at the arcade on cabinet, and MK3/U has the most fucked up button setup. Its not fun playing if the cabinet beats YOU. I can sometimes get a Stryker pop-up into gun and run shenanigan combos, but that, or a dial-a-combo with BL in it every blue moon. I never bought UMK on XBL because the buttons are not configurable, and I have played with block as L, and run as R(opposite of XBL)since SNES MK3, kept that setup for PSX MK3, and PSX MKT. 15 years, I'm not changing now.

I brought my copy of MKT once, and it was THE game of that night, I'll have to make a repeat. So much more comfortable on PS3 pad. Plus Raiden II is GDLK.

Also if I want to run MAME ( I have UMK3 on it but the buttons suck to figure out so I just play MKT) what number button corresponds to which function?
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
    I never bought UMK on XBL because the buttons are not configurable, and I have played with block as L, and run as R(opposite of XBL)since SNES MK3, kept that setup for PSX MK3, and PSX MKT. 15 years, I'm not changing now.

Yeah, that's one of the main complaints about the XBLA version of the game. It's also why UMK3 isn't hosted on the 360 at tournaments. Really dumb move to not add button configuration.

www.TestYourMight.com
    I say fuck it. and run that shit on mame. eventually someone needs to get over this rom legality shit. i have never seen in black and white, that we can't run tournaments on our computers/laptops that we own and can't use to our maximum ability.

i mean the folks are playing blazblue cs on laptop/computers, dunno why we can't play umk3.
    I say fuck it. and run that shit on mame. eventually someone needs to get over this rom legality shit. i have never seen in black and white, that we can't run tournaments on our computers/laptops that we own and can't use to our maximum ability.

i mean the folks are playing blazblue cs on laptop/computers, dunno why we can't play umk3.

I bought some PSX to Jamma converters with a configuration option for my Supergun, this way I don't have to deal with my friends bickering over a default button config on games such as UMK3.. It truly helps with some who may want to play on pad rather than joystick.

• MightyMarMightyMar Why you lose to me? Joined: Posts: 390
    How good is the ps2 port of UMK3 that comes with mortal komabat armageddon?
    "Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
    "That was the worst strategy ever. Buy an official book!"

Why You Lose To Me?
    How good is the ps2 port of UMK3 that comes with mortal komabat armageddon?

It's terrible from what I've heard from reliable players. I've never personally played it though.

www.TestYourMight.com
    Aweee shit Mario!!! Get on dat KOMBAT!!! :cool:
  • iloveuiloveu Joined: Posts: 276
    Or we can all just go to summonings house and play right shock!
    Or we can all just go to summonings house and play right shock!

I wish, I live in GA, there's no going to summonings house :(

Though, I will make it up to a tournament one of these days, and win it too. :)

www.TestYourMight.com
  • Syxx573Syxx573 Jo Mama Joined: Posts: 8,963
    "I want to play this game and not have to pay a dime for it."
  • Arkayne17Arkayne17 Stop it meg. Joined: Posts: 2,857
    UMK the true crack!
    @ArtofArkayne
    Character Designer / Concepter Artist / Illustrator
    ECT2 UMK3 Tournament Finals Match Videos:

image (Winner's Finals) Shock vs LI Joe
    image (Loser's Finals) Shock vs AC1984
    image (Grand Finals) LI Joe vs AC1984

www.TestYourMight.com