Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (UMK3)

Comments

• snaeksnaek ihearthawthats Joined: Posts: 367
    Arkayne; I put the MAME ROMS on Arcade Legends PC a while ago. Just have no clue what button does what for arcade (Button 1 = ???)
    button 1 = hp
    button 2 = bk
    button 3 = hk
    button 4 = lp
    button 5 = lk
    button 6 = rn

so it looks like this:
      1   3
      4   5

or if you prefer a standard-style 6 button layout:
    1 6 3
    4 2 5

• OJuggernautOOJuggernautO Tyler "Juggs" Smith Joined: Posts: 512
    button 1 = hp
    button 2 = bk
    button 3 = hk
    button 4 = lp
    button 5 = lk
    button 6 = rn

so it looks like this:
      1   3
      4   5

1 6 3
    4 2 5

Nice info, I like how you set it up for the stick players. Good shit, added to first post.
    For all things competitive MK, and all MK9 info, visit TYM.com! Link below.

www.TestYourMight.com
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    button 1 = hp
    button 2 = bk
    button 3 = hk
    button 4 = lp
    button 5 = lk
    button 6 = rn

so it looks like this:
      1   3
      4   5

1 6 3
    4 2 5

Cool. I play PS or SNES layout pad for MK. I also use R-run and L-block, which is the opposite of most.
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
  • ReXXXSopranoReXXXSoprano Triple Da G.O.D! Joined: Posts: 1,509
    What was up with the Saturn versions of UMK3 and Trilogy. I never see those brought up in any conversation and was wondering what's the deal on those ports.
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    Anything on Saturn = good.

Its just people think they're too good to play/own a Saturn anymore.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
    Anything on Saturn = good.

Its just people think they're too good to play/own a Saturn anymore.

Just...nobody bought a Saturn. Secondly the games are 1000x harder to find than the PSX versions. Thirdly, no arcade sticks for stick users. Lastly, most of the reasons you'd want a Saturn are import games. At this time, I doubt anyone wants to fool with the effort. And with MAME, pretty much every game you'd have wanted on Saturn, you can play anyway.

On-topic:

is there anything you can do in MAME to get infinite health? I basically want the equivalent of training mode.
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
  • snaeksnaek ihearthawthats Joined: Posts: 367
    is there anything you can do in MAME to get infinite health? I basically want the equivalent of training mode.
    yes, by running mame with a command line option of -cheat. you'll have to download a cheat.zip database (http://cheat.retrogames.com/). to enter the cheat menu, press tab (don't forget to also enable infinite time).
  • Kim Sue-ilKim Sue-il Call me JoJo! Joined: Posts: 1,799
    My button layout is this, which is one of the reasons I enjoy 8 button layouts.

_123
    64_5
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

UMK3/SFEX2+/JJBA: HFTF > other fighters
  • Tim StaticTim Static Kid Thunder!! Joined: Posts: 4,633 mod
    STREAM MATCHES WERE MEGA HYPE.

UMK3 >>>>>>>>> all other fighters. suck meh dick
    yes, by running mame with a command line option of -cheat. you'll have to download a cheat.zip database (http://cheat.retrogames.com/). to enter the cheat menu, press tab (don't forget to also enable infinite time).

Looks like MAME cant find it.

Mame 32k064 and also 32u901. Everything is set. ini enable cheat =1, cheat checked in UI, unzipped once into mame root, ect, ect.

I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Edit: Might need a different version of mame...
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    UMK3 on stream was MAAAAD HYPPPEEEEE!! Good shit to AC1984, Shock and Li Joe. AND to Dark_Rob and Sweet Johnny for commentating!!

www.TestYourMight.com
  • digimonemporerdigimonemporer Joined: Posts: 2,612
    So how about that IRC for UMK3 (we can call it: #UMK3srk) folks?

Because I REALLY WANT TO PLAY N LEVEL UP!!!

...and I'm sure some of yous do too. :tup:
    No signature here. Nope...not one.
    Stream from yesterdays Road to EVO in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9A373D9663B50DAA
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    Stream from yesterdays Road to EVO in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9A373D9663B50DAA

Oh shit! That was awesome to watch.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
    That last match was intense!
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

very nice matches guys.

needs more sheeva lol :cool:
  • KerseyKersey Cyrax Wins Joined: Posts: 504
    We need C.Sub relaunches in the finals.
    Helping getting this Twitter page started: http://twitter.com/UMKguys

Follow us for the latest UMK3 news! As well as MK9!
  • AtlausAtlaus Joined: Posts: 194
    So I just as of late seriously started playing UMK3. Thankfully Cleveland still has a pretty nice scene for the game going on. Playing this on a fightpad games fun as hell fuck the haters.

Any advice I could look into for this?
    Dicks.
    When I was searching around for my UMK3 PCB, I noticed alot of UMK3 cabinets for sale in Ohio. It's like Ohio has an endless supply of UMK3 cabs for sell.

So I just as of late seriously started playing UMK3. Thankfully Cleveland still has a pretty nice scene for the game going on. Playing this on a fightpad games fun as hell fuck the haters.

Any advice I could look into for this?

http://ultimatemk.com/
    When I was searching around for my UMK3 PCB, I noticed alot of UMK3 cabarets for sale in Ohio. It's like Ohio has an endless supply of UMK3 cabs for sell.

cabarets?

The price you pay for using the PS3's word prediction feature.

The price you pay for using the PS3's web browser

fixed. been there, done that. hated every second of it :/

Speaking of this, its been updated with all the tourney matches before the stream this past weekend. Enjoy!
    Tim I didn't know you were the admin of 3 MK sites.

You're legendary. :cool:

Also OMFG IRC channel. Needed now. #UMK3srk someone make it happen...PLEASE!!!!

Note: I can't do this because I only use mibbit.com lol. :razz:

Also OMFG IRC channel. Needed now. #UMK3srk someone make it happen...PLEASE!!!!

Note: I can't do this because I only use mibbit.com lol. :razz:

No need for that man, visit MortalKombatEmpires.com or ClassicMK.com. Both sites have a shoutbox (which is a chatbox like IRC) and they usually have MK players in there. I for one am on both a lot.

www.TestYourMight.com
  • Dandy JDandy J now you face a super saiyan shaolin Joined: Posts: 2,790
    alot of ppl prefer irc cause they run it 24/7 unlike their web browser so its not exactly the same as a shoutbox
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
    irc is SO 1999 ;) lol

lmao i wish!

in all fairness to those people who actually run the sites, UMK.com is run by EWAShock and DreemerNJ, ClassicMK.com is run by SheisseNUssen and MKE.com is run by STORMS!

but we are all apart of one community and i am a staff member on those 3 sites :)

COME VISIT THEM AND SHOW YOUR LOVE FOR UMK3!!!!
    You got it. :D

EDIT:

So I made an IRC UMK3/General MK channel.

EFNET (server)
    #UMK3srk (channel)

This is an IRC channel for MK fans to gather. Discuss MK and set up UMK3/or other MK online matches. I'm also using this channel to advertise MKIX information as it's announced and as I recieve it.

When MKIX is released (and pending how well it's recieved), this channel will go under a different name. But since UMK3 is the most popular "competitive game" we'll stick with this title. :D

Please join us/me. Thanks. :cool:
    Whats up with UMK3 MAME? What version are you using and why can't I get the secret characters(I know this has been discussed, but I'm a moron).
  • ChiroToBChiroToB Joined: Posts: 139
    You definitely want to look for version 1.2 to play. You can find mame cheat files for different versions of Mame as well, we generally play offline on MamePPK 119, and online with 32k 64.
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • JOHNNY ERMACJOHNNY ERMAC Joined: Posts: 4
    I followed instructions from the other thread about MAME online play. Anyone want to play with me? Need to test out this Kaillera play.
  • JOHNNY ERMACJOHNNY ERMAC Joined: Posts: 4
    UMK3 - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade experiences: Wavenet, Rain.

Heyo, with the current mk9 hype and my recent registration to the site, I want to share my experiences with the mk series.

Midway was based out of Chicago. That's where I grew up. From 92-97 I visited the arcades frequently. I grew up in Rogers Park, a part of the city of Chicago. "Diversions" was the closest, and by far, the largest arcade establishment in the local vicinity. My brother, and about 3 closest buddies walked or biked to Diversions almost daily during the warm months. I was 11 at the time. Occasionally we brought along a few bucks, but usually we went there penniless. Not the best of the Chicago areas; our apartment was broken into twice, and we caught a random fucker at our third event..., but I digress.

Eventually MK3 was released. Ahh good memories. I remember huge mobs of people around the MK3 cabinet on its opening release. I remember myself: a little 12 year old chap dropping my golden token on the cabinet's TV screen and watching and hearing it quickly slide down the glass. The token would then join an assembly line of at least 10 other tokens, a lengthy queue of a line. Eventually I would get my turn and play with the teen big boys lol, although the players were of diverse ages.

UMK3 and Wavenet followed. Wavenet cabinets were connected by T1 lines throughout participating arcades in the Chicago area. I am not sure whether other states had Wavenet machines. Apparently rumors circulate that the elusive Rain was included in that version. (The SNES port had Rain, maybe Genesis too, but I am discounting those shitty ports).

From my personal experience of actually playing a real Wavenet machine back in t day, I can say that Rain WAS NOT PLAYABLE in that version. You simply chucked down your quarters/tokens hit Start, used to joystick to pick your name, and then you were connected to a live person playing somewhere else in Chicago. I remember picking robo-hobo Smoke and destroying people and getting like 10 wins in a row because a lot of the players did not know how to execute the simple throw prevention inputs (simply hold back/ back+block / down+back / down+back+block for standing/crouching evasion/block. If only they knew they were losing to a Smoke/Kabal/Nightwolf-using 12 year old kid lol.

I apologize for the lengthy post, hope it was informative and possibly cleared up any unanswered questions. One thing to note is that MK was always known to include easter eggs/codes. Perhaps there was some secret code. If there was, I haven't seen it. I doubt it, however, since the game attracted such massive crowds, at least someone would've known. And initially all game info, was shared by word of mouth, which spread faster than information obtained from a gaming magazine. Although, I do remember writing down fatalities and combos from AOL files back in the day and sharing those with 20 yr old dudes lol.
  • -SuGaR--SuGaR- I'm Shady Joined: Posts: 301
    Rain was not selectable in any arcade version of UMK3. He was playable in the Genesis and SNES versions only, until MKT. However, Noob Saibot was in UMK3 Wavenet, however I do not believe he had any special moves. However, he had the fastest walking speed in the game, even faster than H. Smoke.
    "Dammit. I thought that shit said "Deadliest warrior is black." I came to gloat and praise Anderson Silva." - Black Jesus in "Deadliest Warrior is Back" thread.
  • TiberiousTiberious Oh noes! Teh FURRY! Joined: Posts: 1,063
    Of course, since there's no dump of the Wavenet UMK3, I have to call this rumor. What happened to all of these machines?
    I write about games. Current post about the PS3's hacking.
    http://one-step-back.blogspot.com/
    Want to watch some high level UMk3 casuals LIVE?

then go here: http://ustre.am/iTN5
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 1,956
    If the fact that people say Noob Saibot is playable , and its true , I wonder if any other modifications were made at the time towards the characters .
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    Whats the point of this thread?? This is all common knowledge, i thought.
    Of course, since there's no dump of the Wavenet UMK3, I have to call this rumor. What happened to all of these machines?

Looky here
    Can we move this to the Mortal Kombat forum?

www.TestYourMight.com
  • ChiroToBChiroToB Joined: Posts: 139
    We may have some more UMK3 casuals streamed on Thursday or Friday!
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
  • GhaleonGhaleon Maximum Cammy Joined: Posts: 3,467
    BTW any more OG stories about MK you guys have, please share so people know more about the history of the game.

It's impossible for me to fathom but since so many players now are young, they have no idea what a cultural phenomenon MK was. I can't talk for the WC/EC but it seemed to me that MK3/MK3/UMK3 were definitely more popular than their peer SF games.
    gdlkEnt - Season's Beatings Twitter:
    Season's Beatings Tournament Series - on Facebook
    You East Coast guys are lucky to have a scene. Over here on the Pacific side nobody gives a shit about this game.:(
    You East Coast guys are lucky to have a scene. Over here on the Pacific side nobody gives a shit about this game.:(

Do something about it. Start a scene.

over @ http://mortalkombatempires.com/forum/content.php there is quite a few Cali dudes. you should join up, and talk to them as well.
    very funny, Matt. See how i am predicting the future?
  • EWAShockEWAShock (`~^.UMK3 Sucks.^~`) Joined: Posts: 835
    Tim you post like it's MKT, double everything!
    www.kombatnetwork.com - 11 years of building the MK tournament scene
    testyourmight.com - the MK community
    www.ultimatemk.com - Your Source for UMK3 Competition
    Top 0.017% in ranked matches for UMK3 on XBLA
  • TomatousTomatous Joined: Posts: 55
    Does anyone else experience some static-like audio when running umk3 in mame32 64? It runs fine, but at times the audio gets so static its almost unbearable... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im using a pair of headphones plugged into a X-fi sound card (which works flawlessly with everything else)
  • EWAShockEWAShock (`~^.UMK3 Sucks.^~`) Joined: Posts: 835
    Does anyone else experience some static-like audio when running umk3 in mame32 64? It runs fine, but at times the audio gets so static its almost unbearable... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im using a pair of headphones plugged into a X-fi sound card (which works flawlessly with everything else)

It's because of the emulation refresh rate not matching the monitor frequency or something to that effect, as they emulated it too perfectly I guess. The newer MAME's don't have this problem, you won't be able to do anything about 32k64
    www.kombatnetwork.com - 11 years of building the MK tournament scene
    testyourmight.com - the MK community
    www.ultimatemk.com - Your Source for UMK3 Competition
    Top 0.017% in ranked matches for UMK3 on XBLA