Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (UMK3)

1235»

Comments

• TomatousTomatous Joined: Posts: 55
    I see.. now I won't stress over it. Thank you
  • ninjagrinderninjagrinder Cephalic Grinder Joined: Posts: 139
    Heyo, with the current mk9 hype and my recent registration to the site, I want to share my experiences with the mk series.

Midway was based out of Chicago. That's where I grew up. From 92-97 I visited the arcades frequently. I grew up in Rogers Park, a part of the city of Chicago. "Diversions" was the closest, and by far, the largest arcade establishment in the local vicinity. My brother, and about 3 closest buddies walked or biked to Diversions almost daily during the warm months. I was 11 at the time. Occasionally we brought along a few bucks, but usually we went there penniless. Not the best of the Chicago areas; our apartment was broken into twice, and we caught a random fucker at our third event..., but I digress.

Eventually MK3 was released. Ahh good memories. I remember huge mobs of people around the MK3 cabinet on its opening release. I remember myself: a little 12 year old chap dropping my golden token on the cabinet's TV screen and watching and hearing it quickly slide down the glass. The token would then join an assembly line of at least 10 other tokens, a lengthy queue of a line. Eventually I would get my turn and play with the teen big boys lol, although the players were of diverse ages.

UMK3 and Wavenet followed. Wavenet cabinets were connected by T1 lines throughout participating arcades in the Chicago area. I am not sure whether other states had Wavenet machines. Apparently rumors circulate that the elusive Rain was included in that version. (The SNES port had Rain, maybe Genesis too, but I am discounting those shitty ports).

From my personal experience of actually playing a real Wavenet machine back in t day, I can say that Rain WAS NOT PLAYABLE in that version. You simply chucked down your quarters/tokens hit Start, used to joystick to pick your name, and then you were connected to a live person playing somewhere else in Chicago. I remember picking robo-hobo Smoke and destroying people and getting like 10 wins in a row because a lot of the players did not know how to execute the simple throw prevention inputs (simply hold back/ back+block / down+back / down+back+block for standing/crouching evasion/block. If only they knew they were losing to a Smoke/Kabal/Nightwolf-using 12 year old kid lol.

I apologize for the lengthy post, hope it was informative and possibly cleared up any unanswered questions. One thing to note is that MK was always known to include easter eggs/codes. Perhaps there was some secret code. If there was, I haven't seen it. I doubt it, however, since the game attracted such massive crowds, at least someone would've known. And initially all game info, was shared by word of mouth, which spread faster than information obtained from a gaming magazine. Although, I do remember writing down fatalities and combos from AOL files back in the day and sharing those with 20 yr old dudes lol.

This was a nice post. I want some more back-in-the-day mk stories as well. Like Ghaleon said "BTW any more OG stories about MK you guys have, please share so people know more about the history of the game."
    If you haven't listened to CEPHALIC CARNAGE yet, you don't
    have the right to say what's heavy and what's not.
  • Shoryu ReppaShoryu Reppa Sunday drivers... Joined: Posts: 1,565
    Wait so the button setup on a 6 button layout is

[hp] [rn] [hk]
    [lp ] [bl] [lk]

right?
    t: @Dammit_Rab
    EVO 2012 - SFxT Top 36 Qualifier, Winners out of Pool J25
    Host of The Podsumaki Podcast- The Green Ranger's favorite fighting game Podcast
  • ninjagrinderninjagrinder Cephalic Grinder Joined: Posts: 139
    I've played like this:

[hp] [bl] [hk]
    [lp ] [rn] [lk]

since 1996, but also the original lay out. It's just the original cabinets got extincted. Back in the day I could play on both lay outs. Even on some other bizarre ones lol, like

[bl] [hp] [hk]
    [rn] [lp] [lk]

[lp] [bl] [lk]
    [lhp] [rn] [hk]

wtf?? ajajajaja

But nowadays I just can play like on my 1st example.
    If you haven't listened to CEPHALIC CARNAGE yet, you don't
    have the right to say what's heavy and what's not.
    good shit, thanks
    Host of The Podsumaki Podcast- The Green Ranger's favorite fighting game Podcast
  • Helter SkelterHelter Skelter DREAD GOD RED GOD BLACK GOD BLOOD GOD SEX GOD soon to be FLEX GOD Joined: Posts: 1,264
    On the 360 version of the game is there anyway to save the Kombat Kode unlocks?
    I hate having to do all that shit to get Mileena up.
    UMvC3: DORMAMMU/DOCTOR DOOM/VERGIL ~ VERGIL/DOCTOR DOOM/PHOENIX

GGXrd: RAMLETHAL
  • Tim StaticTim Static Kid Thunder!! Joined: Posts: 4,635 mod
    On the 360 version of the game is there anyway to save the Kombat Kode unlocks?
    I hate having to do all that shit to get Mileena up.

UltimateMK.com - Where Throwing is ALWAYS Encouraged - Online Mortal Kombat Headquarters - MK, MKII, UMK3, MKT PSX, MK4, MKG, MKDA, MKD, MKA
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,677
    that's fucking crazy.

i hope they re-port UMK3 with a button config and a legit save system image_<" alt=">_<" />

But they probably won't just like Capcom probably won't port Third Strike until they REALLY have to.
    why the hell is everything i post a double post?
    why the hell is everything i post a double post?

The only real way to avoid that shit (that I know of) is to just always "Go Advanced" when you post something. Really annoying extra step, but it beats going back and deleting the double post.

It doesn't really happen much anymore to most people, but I think what might be going on is that since you're a mod, you don't get the whole "You cannot post another comment yet-- wait 15 more seconds" thing that everyone else gets. That might be how they got around it for us "regular people".

I could be straight up wrong tho. That's just an idea.

But yeah, "going advanced" might solve the issue.
  • graveyardgraveyard MK9 get hype! Joined: Posts: 176
    The only real way to avoid that shit (that I know of) is to just always "Go Advanced" when you post something. Really annoying extra step, but it beats going back and deleting the double post.

It doesn't really happen much anymore to most people, but I think what might be going on is that since you're a mod, you don't get the whole "You cannot post another comment yet-- wait 15 more seconds" thing that everyone else gets. That might be how they got around it for us "regular people".

Ha! Ive been wondering about that!
    SSF4: Dictator/ ibuki
    Umk3: kabal/h. smoke/nightwolf
    Mvc2: Morrigan/tron/doom

I could be straight up wrong tho. That's just an idea.

But yeah, "going advanced" might solve the issue.

Thanks homie! :coffee:
    Thanks homie! :coffee:
    No prob. :tup:

Oh and I talked to Shock. We just gotta set a time and date and we can get this shit ROLLIN :rock:
    yea i told him to check his PMs lol
  • LuckyDayLuckyDay Joined: Posts: 2,870
    snip.

Not at all related to your post, but I think I played you last night on XBL and you kicked my ass.

I'm sort of relieved to hear that you're actually a long time player and not just some random. I have only been playing UMK for 5 days and I thought I was getting better and that was pretty demoralizing, lol.

ggs.
    Evil will always triumph... Because good is dumb....

"I can do the corner infinite on cyclops like 25% of the time" - Governor
  • zafo999zafo999 BIDEO JAMES Joined: Posts: 166
    I'm trying to look more into competitive UMK3. I haven't touched the game in a decade but I'm getting more and more interested in it all the time and I love seeing it on streams. From what I understand, there are significant differences between all the different ports and versions and stuff. Which version is considered the tournament standard today? Like, if I wanted to get into playing it seriously, am I firing up MAME or XBLA or what?
  • BlaiseBlaise Greene Joined: Posts: 560
    Check the first couple of pages, not sure how you could miss it. MAME UMK3 rev 1.2. Or play on the arcade cabinet :nunchuck:
    NAH4L
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 897
  • digimonemporerdigimonemporer Joined: Posts: 2,612
    guys just wanted to check in and ask:

so is .119 the new standard for umk3 on mame or is it still 64k?
    No signature here. Nope...not one.

have you joined up @ ClassicMK.com yet? :)

Is the IRC channel you set up for umk still active? I've logged in a few times and have never seen anyone in there.

If not, we really need to set up a true dedicated channel for matchmaking, and then have Tim get it posted in this and the other sites.

I've tried for a few days now and have yet to find one match on kaillera.

LD until we get that dedicated IRC going, PM me some contact info so we can play online casuals on the regular.

Hopefully one of the OGs here or on classicmk.com can get a dedicated irc going. cuz when i tried to, it failed due to me being on a laptop and everytime i shut down, the irc chan cancels out. :bluu:
  • OJuggernautOOJuggernautO Tyler "Juggs" Smith Joined: Posts: 512
    LD until we get that dedicated IRC going, PM me some contact info so we can play online casuals on the regular.

Hopefully one of the OGs here or on classicmk.com can get a dedicated irc going. cuz when i tried to, it failed due to me being on a laptop and everytime i shut down, the irc chan cancels out. :bluu:

We have a shoutbox on MKE and CMK. Everytime we've tried to do an IRC chat, it's active for the first week or two then dies down and becomes unused. Just use the shoutbox's on either two of these sites.
    For all things competitive MK, and all MK9 info, visit TYM.com! Link below.

www.TestYourMight.com
    We have a shoutbox on MKE and CMK. Everytime we've tried to do an IRC chat, it's active for the first week or two then dies down and becomes unused. Just use the shoutbox's on either two of these sites.

Yeah I've tried the MKE one but always run into guys who play other mk games.

I'll try the cmk one.

yeah i just signed up to both sites too. i always been on ultimatemk.com though.

between those three sites, which site gets the most traffic (most popular)? just curious to know.
    yeah i just signed up to both sites too. i always been on ultimatemk.com though.

between those three sites, which site gets the most traffic (most popular)? just curious to know.

I am curious about that too.

I think a dedicated umk channel would still be best.

I don't really like (or understand) why there need to be three or more different sites instead of just one for people to come together.

Three sites would be fine, but it would be cool if they all shared the same forums or something.

I am curious about that too.

I think a dedicated umk channel would still be best.

I don't really like (or understand) why there need to be three or more different sites instead of just one for people to come together.

Three sites would be fine, but it would be cool if they all shared the same forums or something.

UMK.com forums shut down in January of 2009, while the site was still up and used, forums were closed. So, in the months after that, ClassicMK was born by us who didnt have anywhere else to go. Then this past spring, the UMK forums reopened, and that site is still the definitive source for UMK3. always will be. MKE was born from a defection from the drama charged 3d MK site MKUnited. long story short, MKE was born.

Anywho, i have zero interest in an IRC. Use the sites given. Thats the MK community, not some SRK users who play MK (sorry, i ranted)
    UMK.com forums shut down in January of 2009, while the site was still up and used, forums were closed. So, in the months after that, ClassicMK was born by us who didnt have anywhere else to go. Then this past spring, the UMK forums reopened, and that site is still the definitive source for UMK3. always will be. MKE was born from a defection from the drama charged 3d MK site MKUnited. long story short, MKE was born.

Anywho, i have zero interest in an IRC. Use the sites given. Thats the MK community, not some SRK users who play MK (sorry, i ranted)

It doesn't have to even be IRC, but I wonder if there is a way for example to make the shoutbox that is on one site the same one that's on all of them. That way everyone would be connected and you don't have to check around each site to find a match.

And I don't know what being on SRK has to do with anything. A central place for matchmaking would be beneficial to everyone, and help the community overall.

I did just sign up on classicmk though and I'm already seeing some activity and chances to get matches, so that may be the place to go.

Tim, I dunno if you're an admin on CMK and/or MKE, but is there any chance someone can look into my account being activated? my e-mail is webstersnowjr@yahoo.com.

hella thanks :china:
    So I juuuust got umk3 working on my mac, is there any way for me to netplay? I have no idea what if anything I can do.
    Depends, are you running it on a mac version of mame, or are you emulating a pc version with something like Wine or boot camp?

I am running mame osx. My pc runs umk3 like shit with kailera. :/
    Apparently there is a new rom for UMK3 floating around. if you want to know more about it, feel free to PM asap about it. :)
  • Kim Sue-ilKim Sue-il Call me JoJo! Joined: Posts: 1,799
    Apparently there is a new rom for UMK3 floating around. if you want to know more about it, feel free to PM asap about it. :)

Wave Net?
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

UMK3/SFEX2+/JJBA: HFTF > other fighters
    Wave Net?

nope just pm me
    Anyone know anything abou this? it says it's a zeus pcb upgrade. Is that the Wavenet rom?

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Zeus Jamma Arcade PCB Upgrade - eBay (item 390112556632 end time Oct-25-10 15:19:18 PDT)
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • Kim Sue-ilKim Sue-il Call me JoJo! Joined: Posts: 1,799
    Anyone know anything abou this? it says it's a zeus pcb upgrade. Is that the Wavenet rom?

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Zeus Jamma Arcade PCB Upgrade - eBay (item 390112556632 end time Oct-25-10 15:19:18 PDT)

Not worth it. Just enables H.Smoke without inputting the code, Noob selectable, with the removal of Styrker and Shang.
    "Opponents are happy when they're winning, when in fact they already lost. That is the Joseph Joestar way."

UMK3/SFEX2+/JJBA: HFTF > other fighters
  • TonyTheTigerTonyTheTiger Joined: Posts: 385
    That looks like a bootleg to me. Like Street Fighter II Rainbow Edition.
    Ah. Thanks for the quick reply
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
    yea it was introduced last week.......look a couple posts up:

http://shoryuken.com/f345/ultimate-mortal-kombat-3-umk3-239262/index10.html#post9626180
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,302
    what do you guys thin of UMK3
1235»