Mid-Cities Thread (Midland-Odessa) Now with BarFights!!!

kataridragonkataridragon My DP is 8+triangleJoined: Posts: 1,037
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hello and welcome to the MID-CITIES Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Texas Bar Fights!

Event: Super Street Fighter 4 AE Tournament + UMVC3 + And More!

Market Plaza
4555 East University Boulevard, Odessa, TX 79762

Date: Sundays!!!
Time: Starts at around 11am-2pm.

Come show off what you've got, drink and have a good time.
Foot Dive! Raise the Rufus! You mean nothing to me! What am I fighting for! Clack,Clack, Clackety Clack! Your too slow! My lady! No match for me! Instant Shining Wizard!

Comments

• kataridragonkataridragon My DP is 8+triangle Joined: Posts: 1,037
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a3/Map_of_Texas_highlighting_the_Permian_Basin.jpg/696px-Map_of_Texas_highlighting_the_Permian_Basin.jpg

There is a link to the area that the permian basin covers for those who dont know. Plz Dont be shy, POST!!!!
    Foot Dive! Raise the Rufus! You mean nothing to me! What am I fighting for! Clack,Clack, Clackety Clack! Your too slow! My lady! No match for me! Instant Shining Wizard!
  • Grimm_DemizeGrimm_Demize AKA DrooMighty Joined: Posts: 1,790
    I just recently moved to Odessa for the summer, not really from Texas or familiar with Texas in any way, but I see "Permian" all over the place. I'm actually staying out by that big ass High School football stadium where the Permian Panthers play.

I play a little SFIV (no Super yet), but mostly care about Marvel/3S/CvS2.
    8-3-2004

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A GOD DAMN MINUTE: You played a fuckload of Marvel tournaments. There is not a single fighting game that is blacker than Marvel. They could make Roots: The Fighting Game and have Kuntakente painting the fence on slave owners and it wouldn't be blacker than Marvel." - Pertho
    Awesome dude that is were i live. Not close to the stadium, i know where it is however. Umm Im trying to think of a good way for us to talk. Ill pm you my phone number and you can call me. I guess.
  • DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,052
    We play everything tvc, any streetfighter, kof, garou, guiltygear, blazblue, tekken and so one so come play with me, kataridragon and others. You can't get any better if you don't play other people
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
    Haha, trust me man, I've played more than my fair share of people in my day, so I know all about how worthless the CPU is. I honestly don't even practice if there's nobody around for me to play with, but I can always shake the rust off within a few games.
    8-3-2004

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A GOD DAMN MINUTE: You played a fuckload of Marvel tournaments. There is not a single fighting game that is blacker than Marvel. They could make Roots: The Fighting Game and have Kuntakente painting the fence on slave owners and it wouldn't be blacker than Marvel." - Pertho
    Woo that was a fun session. Even though I got my ass kicked pretty good for the most part on SSF4. Nice MvC2 stuff Grimm. Maybe the less than common other player will show up sometime.
    Having fun out here lately. I still can't believe that there's only a few people in Odessa, and absolutely NOBODY in Midland. Seems odd to me.
    8-3-2004

No kidding where are the midland players??? Lets see if we cant reel some in shall we. I also posted a little thing on a groups facebook today requesting fighting game players. However I think most of the people who view that page are Magic players but it couldnt hurt to try
    Well wednesday was fantastic and hopefully we can keep this trend going. Im thinkin every Friday night we can get the group together for some more matches. Ill call it "Friday Night Fights" like "Friday Night Lights" which took place here (though in reality its kinda lame). Still I need to get these guys to join SRK and post as well as find the missing players.
    Well, good luck getting me out there Fridays, given how unreasonable my situation is. For sure I won't make it tomorrow, and probably not for a long time after that either.

Sorry. :wasted:
    8-3-2004

• FullMetalAfroFullMetalAfro Joined: Posts: 2
    I'm in Midland! Me and my friends play usually anything fighting related. We been trying to get more people to play with. It's kinda hard getting around when I'm 16 and broke. lol. But yeah we are just looking for casual players.
  • icewolf108icewolf108 It happens.. Joined: Posts: 7
    Hi

This forum is amazing!!!!!!!!! Odessa Tx!
    BORED
    Well, good luck getting me out there Fridays, given how unreasonable my situation is. For sure I won't make it tomorrow, and probably not for a long time after that either.

Sorry. :wasted:

That sux. There is a small tourney tonight set up by the missing ones. I tried to call you but your phone was off. Ill tell you how it goes l8er.
    I'm in Midland! Me and my friends play usually anything fighting related. We been trying to get more people to play with. It's kinda hard getting around when I'm 16 and broke. lol. But yeah we are just looking for casual players.

Great we should play sometime. Um ill PM you my phone number and you can give me a ring sometime. As for casual we arent really casual but we will play with just about everybody.
    This forum is amazing!!!!!!!!! Odessa Tx!

ALISA = SLUT
    Hey, I can probably swing tonight.

The Midland kids should show up if they can.
    8-3-2004

Grimm Your a Swinger???? JK
    Does that mean you can come out? Turn your phone on.
  • icewolf108icewolf108 It happens.. Joined: Posts: 7
    I'm so lost right now... Which one of you said Alisa was a slut? haha.......Forums are so confusing.
    BORED
    Grimm Your a Swinger???? JK
    Does that mean you can come out? Turn your phone on.

ay bay bay

I'm so lost right now... Which one of you said Alisa was a slut? haha.......Forums are so confusing.

I'm Drew, it's Ian who thinks that the headless robot chick is a slut.
    8-3-2004

• ChairmanChairman Joined: Posts: 448
    Hey guys, Chairman here (Obviously). Just hosted a nice SSFIV tourney last weekend in Odessa (10 people entered, and for Odessa I think that's really good for a first tourney), and just to let you guys know we are doing it again the 29th! So practice up, cuz there is a surprising amount of good local competition. We are going to be recording our matches with some nice hardware we ordered 2 weeks ago (still hasn't come in) and also streaming in the future, with an ultimate goal of doing ranbats. If you want to be a part of it (and why wouldn't you? huh?) come out and have some fun. Our tourneys cost $10 to enter (No venue fee!) and it goes straight to the prize pot. And if you don't want to play in the tourney, We'll always have a casuals setup running.

We have alot of casuals throughout the week and if you would like to come, Give me your numbers so i can hit you up! 432-664-0191
    Meh.
    Cool man. I really want to get into some casual matches with you after that tourney. Looking forward to some good matches. Hit me up!
  • Dark Man XDark Man X Axe Murderer Silva.. Joined: Posts: 540
    is this tourny at a venue(game center, shop) or is it a house tourny? I can make it out there...just wanna know its worth making the 2 hour trip...
    DMX-Dog 4 Life
    last time is was at this storage thing i dunno but it was a public place
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • Sh!nStarw!nSh!nStarw!n Sakura of the Southwest Joined: Posts: 492
    is this tourny at a venue(game center, shop) or is it a house tourny? I can make it out there...just wanna know its worth making the 2 hour trip...

The tournaments are held at a venue know as The Party Zone, it's just a storage unit that our friend rents out for parties but he also plays SSFIV. There are plenty of tables and chairs, two TVs mounted on the wall, and 3 MAME cabinets filled with fighting games.

Oh yeah, Starw!n is up in this thread. Haha!!!
    XBL: C88 Starwin

USF4: Sakura, Poison
    SFxT: Rufus/Law Law/Paul
    Injustice: Superman, Solomon Grundy
    Jojo's ASB: Dio Brando
    The tourney was fun but I am more excited about ranbats. I like that idea, I think it will help our community out here.

Edit: So when are these ranbats gonna start???
    We got a dude from Lubbock in the thread? I'm in Brownfield right now LOL.

I'm headed to Austin for a bit, but sometime at the end of next week I'll be back in Odessa for awhile. I'll be sure to make it over for some casuals.
    8-3-2004

its because the Lubbock scene is dead right now....tech is out for the summer and 3 of our locals who played sold their ps3s....yeah, its shitty for me right now.....
    DMX-Dog 4 Life
    its because the Lubbock scene is dead right now....tech is out for the summer and 3 of our locals who played sold their ps3s....yeah, its shitty for me right now.....

Do you come to odessa much?
    nah...if I make it down for the tourny on the 29th, it would be my 1st time down for gaming....
    DMX-Dog 4 Life
    Next time I show up at a tournament, there better be a dude screaming "D-M-X! RIDE-OR-DIE!" followed by lots of barking.
    8-3-2004

nah...if I make it down for the tourny on the 29th, it would be my 1st time down for gaming....

So, The tourney Is still going down the 29th. I'm anticipating to have around 10 people entering so you can judge by that if you want to come down or not.

Hopefully we can get the ranbats going soon. I'll talk with the people involved here and see what we can do. My recording equipment was FINALLY shipped, so maybe I'll get it before the next tourney :rock:
    Meh.
    Is the next tournament going to have a third TV set up for casuals? It would be fun to get to play a little bit even after you've been knocked out or don't enter.
    8-3-2004

Yay ranbats. Yo chairman do those 2 dudes have srk accounts? ya know dan and the other guy. Either way get them to start posting.
    Oh hey I was thinking it might be useful to post the tourneys/ranbats schedule in the southwest tournamant thread. It could prove fruitful and since you guys (you know who you are) schedule these fine events, Ill leave it to you guys. Just a suggestion.

Oh and.... Taunt loops FTW!!!!
  • TheWiseSquirrelTheWiseSquirrel Joined: Posts: 4
    Perhaps someday you'll be able to execute a taunt loop against David.....star.

^_^
    Hands off the panda!
    David and Ian stole my horse.
    8-3-2004

Perhaps someday you'll be able to execute a taunt loop against David.....star.

^_^
    ^^^ gay for davidstar

and im slowly getting my loops in matches. Both of you will feel my wrath!
  • Kyle HydeKyle Hyde ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA Joined: Posts: 267
    i think you two are both gay for david
    Never doubt the powers of weapon space.
    i think you two are both gay for david

and why wouldnt they be
    GO TO QUIZNO'S AND GET ME A SUB, HURRYYYYY :mad:
    8-3-2004

• Kyle HydeKyle Hyde ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA Joined: Posts: 267
    and why wouldnt they be

because you suck at tekken
    Never doubt the powers of weapon space.
    Alright guys, I'm going to begin making it more of a habit check in on this thread more often, and posting more information about what exactly the hell is going on. Also, I'll take KatariDragon's idea and post in the Southwest thread. If you if have suggestions for things that we should do or things that we should change, feel free to post in the thread to let me know. This includes how we should do ranbats (No, we aren't going to host HDR tourneys ;D). On to ranbats!

So we had our first round of ranbats last thursday and we had an okay turnout - though some people need to get off their ass and make it to the venue =D

Since we are pretty much diving head-first into the whole hosting tournaments and doing ranbats thing, the best thing to do is mimic what other regions are doing. I like Arcade UFO, so I am suggesting we use their point system for ranbats. I'll type out the rules we are most likely going to use for this "season" of ranbats to be held NEXT Thursday, 8-26.

From here on out, we will be using a setup provided by Rakuen -- the same guy doing the brackets. It will be on 360 and has absolutely zero lag. Everything we do will be held at the Party Zone Clubhouse on Faudree road. I will post the actual address later.

The format may change. This is just a starting point and a suggestion. If it changes it will be posted in this thread.

Super Street Fighter 4
    Single elimination - Why? To keep time-commitment low for everyone.
    Top 4 will be in some kind of double elimination to have accurate standings. - Why top 4? not enough people to do top 8 ;)
    Xbox 360 - If you use a pad, bring one. There will be 2 arcade sticks.
    ITS FREE! SO SHOW UP AND SHOW YOUR SKILLS

Rules:

Each match is a 2/3 gameset with the rounds also set at 2/3
    Character switch OK but player cannot change mid 2/3 game set until they lose 1 game - This is very important
    * Points are awarded as follows: 1st (10 points), 2nd (7 points), 3rd (5 Points), 4th (3 Points), 5th (2 Points), 6th (1 Point)

Schedule: (Every other Thursday)

August 26th
    September 9th
    September 23rd
    October 7th
    October 21st
    November 4th - End season - Hope I didn't put on one some kind of holiday.

As we are poor and not sponsored (lol), the prize is bragging rights!

As stated before, all this could change tomorrow. Also I suggest (to all of us organizers) that we restart the ranbats with the date above.

Sorry for super-long post. Tell everyone you know that the ranbat season is starting and we need to spread word to the midland players (if there are any.)

Practice up!
    Meh.