Bison's Q&A Thread: Ask here before making new threads!

Comments

• TheBirdLivesTheBirdLives Still not dead Joined: Posts: 592
    edited August 2014
    Against ryu I like hovering just outside cr mk range and choosing the right moment to dash to tick or cr short to frame trap.

Cr mk to hado is great but bisons overall mobility makes him a tough match for ryu on the ground in my opinion.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • DeusMortemDeusMortem Joined: Posts: 397
    Ah, okay. I definitely have a solid Bison overall, but I find both Gen and Blanka better to use against Ryu. Since I realised at HK sucks as an aa, however, the matchup has improved drastically for me. Don't get me wrong: I murder 90% of online Ryus, but yeah, less effort involved with some other characters.

Any tips for Juri and Chun-Li? I find them mindless as hell against Bison. Their neutral jump HK makes SK super risky and basically can't be punished due to its insane reach. You more or less have to anticipate it and punish with a2a or U2 (risky in case they empty jump). Can't poke Chun either since her cr HK seems to rape st HK and MK. I've basically given up on HK as a poke these days.
  • DeusMortemDeusMortem Joined: Posts: 397
    On a more general note, I love doing at MK > dash> throw. People don't expect tick throws from poke range.
  • AloysiusAloysius Joined: Posts: 46
    Ryu's jump HK is a b****, your only option is Hell Attack or cr.HP, which you need tight reactions/predictions for

I'll say Bison may be able to piss on some shotos from a certain range because st.MK beats a lot of their options, but I don't know if I'd say that about Ryu. His cr.MK is pretty godlike

For Chun-Li you need to play a little slow. Bait some normals, and find the right time to focus-dash in, or scissor kick them. You've got a whole 99 seconds. Once you knock her down she can't do anything on wake-up till she gets meter (which you can still bait easily and punish).

As for Juri, I get destroyed. Don't know what to do once she starts zoning
  • Capt_JhonryCapt_Jhonry Joined: Posts: 29
    Any tips against Ryu ?
    especially with high PP
    damn why Ryu loves throw so much lol
    Build meter early and ex scissors through any errant fireballs. Anti air every jumpin with cr fierce, it trades a lot but that's often enough to stop them jumping.

Play footsies. St forward is a great tool but mix up the odd cr forward too as ryu's cr forward goes under bisons st forward.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • TheKiestTheKiest Joined: Posts: 231
    I seem to be having problems linking my 4xLKs against some characters IE Boxer. Does this just not work on some characters? Or is my timing still off?
    "Blazblue is a game that favors characters that can zone, rushdown, or both. Unfortunately for Hakumen, he is not capable of doing any of these."
    Tekken: Lee, Paul, Law BB: Ragna, Hakumen
    Boxer has a really small hurtbox on his legs. Go for 3 then scissors.

Cr jab, St jab, St short, cr forward xx special doesn't work on him either. Pisses me off.
    Bison 4 lyfe
    I take it Elena has similar issues then?
    "Blazblue is a game that favors characters that can zone, rushdown, or both. Unfortunately for Hakumen, he is not capable of doing any of these."
    I don't even think that bitch has a hurtbox anywhere lol
    Bison 4 lyfe
    Hugo stole all of her hurtboxes.
  • MrHighJackedMrHighJacked Joined: Posts: 36
    Far s.HP is a good anti air when timed correctly.
    USFIV - Dictator/Sakura
  • AlcibiadeAlcibiade Joined: Posts: 5
    Hi, long time lurker but I never post. Some questions.

Do you think that dashing forward is a good solution to close jump in ? It seems to work quite well (until my foe wises up but at least I'm not free anymore) but there might be better ideas. Bear in mind that the goal is to take the advantage, not just escaping or defending.

c.lkx3 doesn't seem to be enough to charge up, am I correct ? Should I just delay the first one a tiny bit ? I know you can do it 4 times but I'm talking when you're just not close enough.

I know it's not that important, but I just can't punish with U2 online. I have to know that my opponent will fireball to do it. Am I just bad or it's normal online ?

Lastly, thanks everybody, reading all the Bison stuff here helped me tremendously.
    New poster, long time lurker.
    Dashing forward from close(ish) range is one of bisons best tools and yeah, you should use it basically all the time but it must be timed correctly, you can easily dash into pokes.

Regards the 3x cr short: After the second input for the dash you should immediately hold back for charge. As long as you hold back ASAP after dashing then three shorts is ample to get enough charge for scissors afterwards.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • fohstickfohstick Joined: Posts: 339
    you can punish fireballs that have about 40 recovery frames (e.g. ryu, sagat, rose) with U2. However, the naive method of trying to input the U2 motion after you see the fireball and subsequently pressing PPP in time is too difficult for most people

There's a simple technique to eliminate the wasted crucial frames of inputting the U2 motion. When you suspect a fireball, buffer the U2 motion. During the motion, if your prediction was correct (opponent executed a fireball), press PPP, otherwise don't press a button and try again with another prediction. This method is easy, safe, and works surprisingly consistent.
  • AlcibiadeAlcibiade Joined: Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot both of you.
    New poster, long time lurker.
  • Daaadom3Daaadom3 Joined: Posts: 424
    edited September 2014
    Hi guys ... couple of questions:

I have recognized that Bisons Super and Ultra 1+2 are now all 40f charge time !!! Havent played him since a while ... XD

Does this means that he now is able to juggle/combo into Ultra 1 consistently without Hell Attack but with the use of meter ?

Ultra 1:

- Hitting a regular or EX Skull diver pretty deep (advantage 11-13 frames) so that U1 does combo
    - Hitting a EX Devil Reverse and juggle into ultra 1
    - Hitting a EX Psycho Crusher with the last active frames (maybe as a cross up) and auto-correct into ultra 1
    - Other "reliable" ways to combo or juggle into ultra 1 ... maybe if you hit a LP PC (counterhit) in the corner or something (charge time should be enough) or maybe juggle into super ?

Super:

- The super also has now only 40f charge time and the LK version got only 7 frame start up (with 8 frames invincibility) on paper looks like a very solid AA and you only need back charge (40f)
    - He should also be able to directly link it after a short string into a frame trap like dash in > close lp > close MK or HP ... ( sure it is a 1-2 frame link) but you should be able to have the charge
    - Very easy hit confirm from a jump in > cr.hp (or another fierce button) > super (cancel) for massive damage
    - Things like HS > Skull Diver > cr.hp (10f now) > super should definitely work now (that is some nice damage ... sure it is risky ... ^^)

I know that Bison really needs EX meter ... but the super does look very nice now on paper ... especially the LK version ...

Other questions:

- Can you link CH close HK > far MP on the whole cast or is it char specific ?
    - Does CH close MP link into far st.lk > far MP ?
    - Does cr.lp > frame trap close MK > far MP works on the whole cast ?

THX
    I'm having problems against gief since his green hand got buffed. Not really sure the best way to get out after blocking it.

And fuck Lariat.
  • DontdodatDontdodat I know u want to Joined: Posts: 653
    If you're blocking green hand Gief is -6 or -7, if you don't have charge while blocking you should just do a standard combo ending with roundhouse, if you don't want Gief that close it's perfectly feasible to reversal throw.

And yes, lariat is the main reason why you can't jump or reversal EX Psycho Crusher.
  • Grimm_DemizeGrimm_Demize AKA DrooMighty Joined: Posts: 1,790
    Been playing Bison across multiple games for years and years now, but there's one thing I've been wondering. To the Bison players on this board who are able to consistently able to land that super sexy close fierce counter hit setup, how are you doing? Specifics I would like to know:
    • What types of buttons are you beating when this happens successfully?
    • What are you doing to condition them into eating this?
    • What is the best normal to go into the frame trap from? Is there any specific timing I need to hit?
    Close fierce seems like a slow as fuck normal, and a lot of times I go for it as a counter-hit button I get blown up for it. I know I could hit the lab with it, but I'm lazy and learn most of my shit either on the fly in matches or by reading about it, and the former isn't working for me so well. I appreciate the help.
    8-3-2004

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A GOD DAMN MINUTE: You played a fuckload of Marvel tournaments. There is not a single fighting game that is blacker than Marvel. They could make Roots: The Fighting Game and have Kuntakente painting the fence on slave owners and it wouldn't be blacker than Marvel." - Pertho
    Cr jab is plus 2 and has sufficiently little pushback to enable st cl fierce so that's usually my go to button.

St cl fierce starts up in 8 framesso there's a 6 frame window in between cr jab and the fierce so you can be thrown out of it or hit with jabs or shorts but it's usually to blow up late techs.

Condition them by ticking into throws from jabs and if they're consistently teching then it's time for a frame trap.

In my opinion bisons best frame trap is cr strong as it's plus four on block so if they press basically anything afterwards it will get stuffed by another cr strong into scissors. Most good players know this though so won't press buttons after blocking the strong.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • Grimm_DemizeGrimm_Demize AKA DrooMighty Joined: Posts: 1,790
    Cr jab is plus 2 and has sufficiently little pushback to enable st cl fierce so that's usually my go to button.

St cl fierce starts up in 8 framesso there's a 6 frame window in between cr jab and the fierce so you can be thrown out of it or hit with jabs or shorts but it's usually to blow up late techs.

Condition them by ticking into throws from jabs and if they're consistently teching then it's time for a frame trap.

In my opinion bisons best frame trap is cr strong as it's plus four on block so if they press basically anything afterwards it will get stuffed by another cr strong into scissors. Most good players know this though so won't press buttons after blocking the strong.

Thanks man. I do get a lot of mileage out of crouch strong, because for some reason people absolutely love to push buttons afterwards. I'm not really interested in the close fierce counter-hit setup for practicality, I just really love how flashy it looks and how satisfying it feels when it actually works. I've actually spent a lot of time in training mode learning to hit confirm into low forward xx hk.scissors, it's just been difficult to not get blown up by jabs and shorts like you pointed out.

8-3-2004

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A GOD DAMN MINUTE: You played a fuckload of Marvel tournaments. There is not a single fighting game that is blacker than Marvel. They could make Roots: The Fighting Game and have Kuntakente painting the fence on slave owners and it wouldn't be blacker than Marvel." - Pertho
    Build meter early and ex scissors through any errant fireballs. Anti air every jumpin with cr fierce, it trades a lot but that's often enough to stop them jumping.

Play footsies. St forward is a great tool but mix up the odd cr forward too as ryu's cr forward goes under bisons st forward.

Thanks for reply

What is Footsie ?

Im new to game,Just know basic combo from Trial

Can you give example Footsie with Bison Move

Thank you.

• jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890

Thanks for reply

What is Footsie ?

Thank you.

Videos are probably the best way to explain. Not something that can be said in so many words.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    jebop wrote: »

Thanks for reply

What is Footsie ?

Thank you.

Videos are probably the best way to explain. Not something that can be said in so many words.

Thank You sir

If anyone want to know how to play Bison

Bison should play like this :D

Does anyone know the frame advantage on ex scissors fadc forward on block please?

I thought we were plus but I keep getting jabbed out of my short against boxer.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • m16ghostm16ghost Joined: Posts: 1,810
    Does anyone know the frame advantage on ex scissors fadc forward on block please?

I thought we were plus but I keep getting jabbed out of my short against boxer.

Bison is +0 after scissors fadc on block. It doesn't matter if it's EX or non-EX.
    edited February 2015
    Cheers bud. I had kinda worked it out in training but I've been hitting counter hit shorts against boxer of late now as I think I have the timing locked down now and perhaps my mate doesn't.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • DoctorChaotixDoctorChaotix Joined: Posts: 6
    I do have a question in regards to grapplers (Gief, T.Hawk, Hakan). I've noticed in matches when I try 4 cr. LK xx Scissors or 2cr.lp, into lk xx Scissors, that they always seem to grab me with there 360 grabs before the combo is finished. Do their grabs have advantage over just a simple LP or LK?
    PSN: solidgoomba
    PSN: DoctorChaotix
    edited February 2015
    Cr short to scissors isn't a true block string meaning it can be interrupted by reversals. Stick to pokes outside spd range and punish as hard as you can when you see anything unsafe.

Remember gief and hawk can ultra badly spaced scissors now too so be careful throwing it out as a spacing tool.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • m16ghostm16ghost Joined: Posts: 1,810
    cr.lk xx lk scissors is a true blockstring, but the part before that isn't.

If you want a true blockstring against reversals, use cr.lp, close lp, cr.lk xx lk scissors

• DoctorChaotixDoctorChaotix Joined: Posts: 6
    Thanks guys. Grapplers have been giving me trouble
    PSN: solidgoomba
    PSN: DoctorChaotix
  • Abez.GAbez.G Joined: Posts: 4
    Long time lurcker first time poster. I'm not new to street fighter but I'm trying to take the game more seriously than before. Usually when I understand the mechanics and how things work I can grasp a better mindset of what my opponent wants to do. So my questions are:

What are my options with Bison against characters like Dudley who can bully you with high priority normals and advantage? Seems like I can play footsies all Match long but he will eventually get that overhead or frame trap me. I keep trying to challenge some of his buttons during his string to no avail. I feel like everything Dudley does against Bison is safe, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

How do I fight the Fuerte match up? It feels like he controls the pace of match since he is not threatened by how much damage I can punish him on his unsafe moves.
  • NastyBisonUserNastyBisonUser xbl Analyzin Pronto Joined: Posts: 124
    Does anyone know the frames for bison level 1 focus dash forward is on block thanks
    Learn the game before you play the game
  • AzzaAzza Joined: Posts: 697
    Yeah its -1.
    Yep -1 level 1. +5 level 2.
    Bison 4 lyfe
  • Metroid407Metroid407 Joined: Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Hello all i wanna pick up bison but i dont know a thing about. Him. Its hard for me do most of his combos that have any thing to do with it ending in SK or PC. For example cr lp St lp cr mk xxSk or something like that my question is when should i start holding down back to start charging for the Sk/PC? Im reallly starting to like bison but knowing when to hold down back while doing a combo is really getting on my nerves and hard to do . Am i missing something ? Is their some trick to it or does it just come down to me needing more practice .thanks
  • Dont JumpDont Jump MVC3 was end of good FG's Joined: Posts: 1,491
    Having trouble dealing with fighting M Bison.

I'm pretty familiar with most match ups in SFIV but Bison has always ticked me off. Hes very SAFE on nearly everything he does and i find although hes -2 on block after LK scissor I still cant manage to take advantage of anyone who either randomly spams lk scissor or does random ex psycho crusher. Some characters I play really cant do much about those moves.

I play Akuma, Dudley, and I try to use Ryu as well against Bison and not having much luck. Cr MK loses hard to scissor, i cant chuck plasma because ex scissor, and his footsie game is very good w st mk and hk. I also hate the fact that i cant punish EX psycho and he can do it for free on wakeup to get a free get out of jail card.

His hell driver charge move also does well against Akuma and Dudley as they lack air to air options.

TLDR: How can i punish Bisons mistakes better? Any ideas or advice?

Thanks
  • AzzaAzza Joined: Posts: 697
    If Bison is moving forward, focus attack is good against him, he has no normals that hits twice.

Learn the spacing that LK.SK hits once at and focus attack at that range.

With Akuma use C.HK as a footsie tool against Bison as from most ranges its safe, you will duck under his S.HK. Yes you will get hit and trade against S.MK alot but you got a lot more reward off C.HK as it leads to Akuma's mix up. If Bison starts using focus to counter sweep, use S.HK to break his focus.

Ex.PC can be punished by Dudley with reversal MP.MGB. He can also punish it with rolling thunder ultra.

Dudley can't play footsies with Bison but his command hard punch is good because it has so many active frames. C.MK will also duck under Bison's S.HK.

Ryu can punish EX.PC with super.

Outside of that Ryu and Akuma can OS jump back or just jump back as a read to counter EX.PC

If Bison has not meter OS on wake up with tatsu or machine gun blow to catch back dash or teleport.

When he meter mix up your OS between tatsu and DP ( to counter EX.PC).

• PrinceVegetaPrinceVegeta Joined: Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    I'm new to high-level Street Fighter, and I can't seem to connect c.lk x 4 into lk/mk sk . I am only able to connect c.lk x 4 into EX sk. What could be the problem? Any tips?

EDIT: I could do it. In case other beginners come here asking for tips, here's what I did: I finally found a use for this release check thing, so, to cancel the fourth cr.lk into lk sk, I held the button and released it (held it for an instant, almost as if I were just tapping it). To cancel into mk sk, I just cancelled it really really fast. I thought I was doing it as fast as possible before, and that's why I asked the question, but now I realized you can always be faster, he he.
    Post edited by PrinceVegeta on