"Check out my new arcade stick!" Thread - Mortal Kombat Edition

Tim StaticTim Static Test Your Might!!Joined: Posts: 4,594 mod
Post pics of your MK sticks, or even MK themed SF layout sticks!

MINEZ:

29f9htl.jpg

and of course....

2hzraf5.jpg
Follow me on Twitter ;www.Twitter.com/Tim_Static

·

Comments

• RahontsiiosthaRahontsiiostha Shinobi Joined: Posts: 537
    Couple of questions.

Where can I buy a stick with the mk layout?
    Is there any point in using a stick with an mk layout as opposed to the japanese 6 button layout?(mainly wondering if anyone knows if the controls of mk9 will be like umk3 at all)
    {SSF4: Ibuki }{ MK9: Kabal/Skarlet}
    Handle pronouced: "la-hoon-g-os-ta"
    ·
  • Krayzie BoneKrayzie Bone Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged! Joined: Posts: 618
    Couple of questions.

Where can I buy a stick with the mk layout?
    Is there any point in using a stick with an mk layout as opposed to the japanese 6 button layout?(mainly wondering if anyone knows if the controls of mk9 will be like umk3 at all)

The block button has a lot to do with it. I know that when I started playing UMK3 on my SSFIV TE, I immediately quit. It just didn't feel right.

And here is a link you can go to for custom mk sticks.

I should be buying one myself before MK9 comes out.

http://www.aiabstore.com/
    www.TestYourMight.com
    ·
  • MENTHOLMENTHOL PUMP IT Joined: Posts: 219
    Same. Gonna get it a few months in advance at the latest so I can get it on time.
    ·
  • Helter SkelterHelter Skelter DREAD GOD RED GOD BLACK GOD BLOOD GOD SEX GOD soon to be FLEX GOD Joined: Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I've got the other sticks I need made up, I'm gonna get a UMK3 stick made.
    UMvC3: DORMAMMU/DOCTOR DOOM/VERGIL ~ VERGIL/DOCTOR DOOM/PHOENIX

GGXrd: RAMLETHAL
    ·
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    Here's mine, KornKombat sold it to me:

kornkombat_mk2_joystick.jpg
    ·
  • Krayzie BoneKrayzie Bone Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged! Joined: Posts: 618
    ' wrote:
    {0MBAT;9093657']Here's mine, KornKombat sold it to me:

Nice

The stick is so far apart from the buttons! lol
    www.TestYourMight.com
    ·
  • SE4NNNNSE4NNNN Telekinesis Slam Joined: Posts: 26
    those sticks are pretty nice, I'm thinking of making one or buying one closer to the release of MK9. ( if they hopefully make some quality sticks with madcatz or the like. )
    For now I'll use my piece o crap 360 d pad for some umk3.
    ·
  • Tim StaticTim Static Test Your Might!! Joined: Posts: 4,594 mod
    those sticks are pretty nice, I'm thinking of making one or buying one closer to the release of MK9. ( if they hopefully make some quality sticks with madcatz or the like. )
    For now I'll use my piece o crap 360 d pad for some umk3.

to hell with Madcatz (sorry Mark lol)

AIAB is way better anyway, and the price is considerable......especially with the quality of the product.

·
    AIAB = the old school high quality sticks and buttons. The iL ones. i can't play MK on any other stick.
    ·
  • EWAShockEWAShock (`~^.UMK3 Sucks.^~`) Joined: Posts: 835
    These are the standard tournament sticks we've used since late 2007ish. The artwork came out much darker than anticipated but I took them anyway. Not sure what happened exactly. Done by Arcade in a Box, outstanding quality and durability. Love these things, going 3 years strong and have gotten a ton of use.

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/player1stick.jpg
    http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/player2stick.jpg
    http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/stickcombo.jpg

The Arcade cab on the night of arrival, we've replaced all the buttons and wiring and having it working about 99.9% I would say. We also got boards for all other MK games and had a changer set up but thus it's only worked right with UMK3 and MK4.

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/umk3cabnmpc.jpg

Stick panel during button stick and wiring replacement

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/stickpanel.jpg

This is the stick we gave away at Evo East 2K7 by DreadedFist:

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/stick1.jpg

This is my original custom UMK3 stick, also courtesy of DreadedFist, which now has been modded more since and is owned by another UMK3 player AC1984

http://darktemplarz.com/umk3/customstick.jpg
    http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/stick1a.jpg
    www.kombatnetwork.com - 11 years of building the MK tournament scene
    testyourmight.com - the MK community
    www.ultimatemk.com - Your Source for UMK3 Competition
    Top 0.017% in ranked matches for UMK3 on XBLA
    ·
  • Helter SkelterHelter Skelter DREAD GOD RED GOD BLACK GOD BLOOD GOD SEX GOD soon to be FLEX GOD Joined: Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    What are the exact buttons and sticks were used in the dedicated UMK3 cabinets back in the day?

·
  • HEY-NOWHEY-NOW Joined: Posts: 36
    to hell with Madcatz (sorry Mark lol)

however all you madcatz and hori owners could always get a replacement panel with the MK layout from arthong.

just saying.
    mortalkombatunited.com
    ·
  • OJuggernautOOJuggernautO Tyler "Juggs" Smith Joined: Posts: 512
    xbox360036.jpg

That's the one I had that is broken, plan to get another one. Controller > Arcade Stick!! :)
    For all things competitive MK, and all MK9 info, visit TYM.com! Link below.

www.TestYourMight.com
    ·
  • raweriioraweriio Joined: Posts: 359
    however all you madcatz and hori owners could always get a replacement panel with the MK layout from arthong.

just saying.

Was thinking about doing this but will happ parts fit in a TE/Hori case? Would still do it with sanwa but I would rather have happ for a mk stick.
    SSF4: Yang
    3S:Akuma/Yang
    MK9: Nightwolf
    MVC3:Magneto/Zero/Sentinel
    Handle Pronounced: "la-way-leo"
    Avatar by LBC with edits by savaii64
    ·
  • HEY-NOWHEY-NOW Joined: Posts: 36

Was thinking about doing this but will happ parts fit in a TE/Hori case? Would still do it with sanwa but I would rather have happ for a mk stick.

I don't believe happ will fit. At least not without a shitload of work. Check the tech talk.
    mortalkombatunited.com
    ·
  • KonqrrKonqrr My wand is ready... Zatanna. Joined: Posts: 1,135
    Here's mine:
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7641/0602091511a.jpg

A friend of mine has one of those replacement panels for his TE stick with the MK3 button layout. It looks great to me and with old TE sticks around $99 then the new panel for $40 or so, that's not a bad deal to get a very good stick that is easy to dual mod and already has a headphone jack. While I think that AIAB sticks are the best ones around, you can't beat the quality for the price on the TE with MK layout.
    Injustice - Killer Frost, Zatanna, Hawkgirl; MK9 - Kitana, Kabal; KI - Orchid, Spinal
    SC - Ivy; AE - Chun Li, Balrog, Cammy; TTT2 - Nina, Baek, Jun
    ·
  • AcroAcro Joined: Posts: 14
    ' wrote:
    {0MBAT;9093657']Here's mine, KornKombat sold it to me:

Holy huge arcade sticks Batman, is it possible to buy another one? I love the fact that buttons/stick is in a natural resting position.
    ·
    I'm halfway towards finishing my first stick and it's for Mortal Kombat!!
    I'll make sure to post pictures when it's done in about 3-4 days..

·
  • EWAShockEWAShock (`~^.UMK3 Sucks.^~`) Joined: Posts: 835
    You can use competition parts and that would be fine. There is a slight difference in the neck length on older Midway arcade machines compared to happs or IL sticks today, which can make a big difference. I saw a lot of cabs back in the day that also had the shorter bat tops, or normal competition tops without washers at the base, which always annoyed me. I saw so many different MK cabs and never could get a sense of the standard because parts got replaced so often. MK cabs traditionally used concave buttons, but I have played on some convex ones and started using them in sticks and machines. It's just better. One things for sure, never use a perfect 360 for an MK game, just a 4 way/8 way.
    www.kombatnetwork.com - 11 years of building the MK tournament scene
    testyourmight.com - the MK community
    www.ultimatemk.com - Your Source for UMK3 Competition
    Top 0.017% in ranked matches for UMK3 on XBLA
    ·
    You can use competition parts and that would be fine. There is a slight difference in the neck length on older Midway arcade machines compared to happs or IL sticks today, which can make a big difference. I saw a lot of cabs back in the day that also had the shorter bat tops, or normal competition tops without washers at the base, which always annoyed me. I saw so many different MK cabs and never could get a sense of the standard because parts got replaced so often. MK cabs traditionally used concave buttons, but I have played on some convex ones and started using them in sticks and machines. It's just better. One things for sure, never use a perfect 360 for an MK game, just a 4 way/8 way.

I've mounted a Competition stick in the box and I used Happ concave buttons as they seemed to be closest to the real machines. I've trying to figure out the which height I should make it. Taller or shorter? It has two stick heights..

·
  • Da BoogeymanDa Boogeyman Joined: Posts: 2,292
    I like playing UMK3 with my SFAC stick.
    ·
  • Tw1stedTw1sted Joined: Posts: 45
    where are these so called "replacement plates" for fightsticks with an mk layout? i've got two fightsticks so i wouldn't mind taking one of those and getting this panel for it. only if its the umk3 layout.
    SSFIV - Deejay
    SS2THDR - Deejay/Balrog
    "But anyways...yeah, what the Chocobo said is pretty much true."
    MagnetoManiac - SRK forum
    ·
    Does anyone know where to get the original Midway MK stick that's longer? I always preferred that to the Happ/iL ones.
    ·
  • AzuroAzuro MK9: Reptile Joined: Posts: 1,125
    What the fuck is that ingenious shit?
    www.testyourmight.com
    ·
    What the fuck is that ingenious shit?

its at this totally super awesome mexican restaurant here in columbus. but i LOL'd at this thing lol

·
  • LuckyDayLuckyDay Joined: Posts: 2,870
    Wait, what restaurant is that Tim?
    Evil will always triumph... Because good is dumb....

"I can do the corner infinite on cyclops like 25% of the time" - Governor
    ·
    Does anyone know where to get the original Midway MK stick that's longer? I always preferred that to the Happ/iL ones.

Happ/IL sticks are height adjustable. You might just remember them being at the tallest setting which a lot of people don't use today.

Unless you're thinking of a WICO stick that might have been installed in a machine back in the day, those are slightly different.

·
    Wait, what restaurant is that Tim?

Fiesta Jalisco on 1-61

·
  • OminousRedOminousRed Joined: Posts: 10
    Smoke and Kenshi Concept Custom Sticks

I plan on making a bunch of these. Its pretty fun. More info, pics and vids to come...

Pics
    ·
    Construction:

Explanation:

Working:
    ·
  • RoguelikeRoguelike Joined: Posts: 115
    Construction:

Explanation:

Working:
    Nice videos, wish I could afford one. Do wanna see if you do that Goro stick though
    ·
    Nice videos, wish I could afford one. Do wanna see if you do that Goro stick though

I'm working on it. I'm like all ADD these days though. One day I'm building sticks, next day fixing cars. The cold weather out here is really slowing me down though.
    ·
    Just installed my TE stick panel replacement on my stick. Has the MK layout and everything. :)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6961/image14ae.jpg
    www.testyourmight.com
    ·
    Just installed my TE stick panel replacement on my stick. Has the MK layout and everything. :)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6961/image14ae.jpg

that layout looks VERY spread out

·
    that layout looks VERY spread out

It does sort of but the buttons all have black rims that don't seem to photo well which I think adds to the illusion.

·
    Yeah, it's likely the button rims.
    www.testyourmight.com
    ·
  • BeganooBeganoo Joined: Posts: 184
    A scrub question but why is th MK button layout like that ? What are the middle and "southwest" buttons for ?
    Its indeed time to oil up !
    ·
    A scrub question but why is th MK button layout like that ? What are the middle and "southwest" buttons for ?
    Block and Run respectively. As for why its laid out like that....cause it's awesome?
    ·
    Oddly enough the layout itself feels right for MK. It's unorthodox, but definitely comfortable for MK games. Dunno if it was made that way to be different, buuuuut it works.
    www.testyourmight.com
    ·
  • BillyEvEBillyEvE Joined: Posts: 41
    I never thought of playing MK with a stick, I dont know I always felt it was more suited to pad controllers
    ·
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,203 ✭✭
    My new Mortal Kombat stick, nothing fancy its like my 2nd stick ever. please be gentle (link to facebook)

My new MK stick worklog! | Facebook
    ·
    very nice Hanzo, makes me want to rip up a PS3 pad and build one
    ·
    My new Mortal Kombat stick, nothing fancy its like my 2nd stick ever. please be gentle (link to facebook)

My new MK stick worklog! | Facebook

GOD LIKE stuff, my friend!

·
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    Modded a Tekken 5

I went the easy route and modded a Tekken 5 with a replacement panel. It has been so long since I've played MK so I am adjusting to the LS-56 and Japanese style buttons.

I seem to be hitting Kabal's combos on some consistency.

I'm not getting the MK9 stick bundle since I got this but am glad they finally decided to make a commercial grade stick. If they do drop down in price like the Tekken 6 sticks then maybe I'll get one.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/rtdzign/Tekken5mod/DSC04262.jpg

Album.
    Tekken5mod pictures by rtdzign - Photobucket
    ·
  • resurrectaresurrecta Joined: Posts: 2
    It looks decent, but you could have it a lil' bit more mk-themed.
    ·
  • J.S.PJ.S.P Joined: Posts: 44
    These are all really awesome sticks guy! I've never could play MK with a stick, I'm an MK Pad guy..
    ·
  • MagikahnMagikahn Joined: Posts: 4
    MK tournament edition

Hey yall just found this website and I thought i was the only MK player in my town. I was just wondering what everyone thought, about the MK9 tournament Edition Stick and if it was worth getting?
    ·
  • EtryusEtryus Joined: Posts: 1
    Post pics of your MK sticks, or even MK themed SF layout sticks!

MINEZ:

29f9htl.jpg

Not even a Raiden pic?! I am dissapointed Tim :)
    ·
  • butterojbutteroj VWDORK Joined: Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Something im working on.......

3e6ae081.jpg

·