The Strong Island Post

haitian_sensationhaitian_sensation Laura's side niggaJoined: Posts: 298
Attention all Long Island players, something needs to happen. I'm tired of hearing that Long Island has a shitty community, and it will never get better. What we need is to get together and figure out some ways to get the community, as a whole, better. I'm talking about sessions that everyone has access to get to. Tournaments to see who has improved the most. Anything that can get more players involved and help the community get better. I want to hear from every player on Long Island. Give me your thoughts or ideas on how we can make this shit happen.
"Power is the ability to define a phenomenon and make it act in a desired manner." - Huey P. Newton

Comments

• D-busD-bus I've been duped! Joined: Posts: 318
    Well, the first step i would think is if the Bay Shore location is as unreliable as it seems, (and correct me if im wrong) finding a new venue would be a good start.
    PSN: galstafflol
  • haitian_sensationhaitian_sensation Laura's side nigga Joined: Posts: 298
    We need to find a spot that everyone can get to without any hassle. A venue at someone's house can be a good starting point. With my parents approval, I can use my basement as a small venue so we can get sessions in until we find something better. We also need to find a way to get the word out so more people can get more people involved. SRK helps to a certain point, but not everyone uses it.
    "Power is the ability to define a phenomenon and make it act in a desired manner." - Huey P. Newton
  • booty clapperbooty clapper Grrrrrr Joined: Posts: 1,726
    Guard Crush 4 tonight in Brooklyn. $5 venue $5 entry. Casuals start at 5, tournament at 6:45. DO NOT BE LATE!!!

All info is in the link.

http://shoryuken.com/f7/guard-crush-4-brooklyn-ny-07-21-10-a-243031/#post9165342
    #SNKPlaymore & #Alpha2 on efnet
  • bglaugherbglaugher Joined: Posts: 696
    Lack of communication:annoy:

I am not really the person to go out my way and find a public venue wish I was able to have people over when I was on the Island but sadly couldn't. hope HatianSen can get his basement for people to play.

Pat you need to use your soccer mom van to take people to tourney's now that I am gone lol

Goodluck to you all going to stomp you fools out in the near future
    I'm working on this lack of communication. The only one trying to get everyone together is me right now since you left. As for tournaments, the only tournaments so far is Guard Crush, which is every other week. So with that said, we need a place for everyone to play at so we can prepare for any tournament, and if we're lucky, we can start our own tourneys if we can get enough people.

I've already decided that I'll pick up anyone I can so we can get to tourneys and sessions. Also, as soon as my basement is cleaned out, anyone is welcomed to come over and play.
  • BlueLambencyBlueLambency Joined: Posts: 141
    I'm guessing the Bay Shore location is the Play N Trade. I went once, like, a month ago. White kid, red shirt, jeans, half-broken SE Madcatz stick? Anyway, I'd be down for traveling somewhere on the island to play.

Also, what do you guys think about SUNY Purchase? It's in Westchester, just outside of Long Island. I'm going back there for Fall semester. They have a really good DIY community and a spacious student center (that bands usually perform in) that I can probably take advantage of to start running some low budget tournaments. I have no experience with running tournaments, but I think it's a good idea to consider. Any feedback on the idea?
    I will definently head over to SUNY Purchase anytime there is a session and bring as many people as my van can fit. Right now, we need a place so that everyone can gather and play casuals.

As far as tournaments, I have no experience running them either. From what I have seen, it is all about knowing people and having them bring their friends that also play. We just have to wait and see what happens at your school.

Anyone has a place or even a house that we can play at for the time being.
  • gafgariownedgafgariowned Joined: Posts: 36
    I'd be happy to have people over when I have my own apartment... next year. =X
  • Bert-oh!Bert-oh! Joined: Posts: 8
    I have off from school this week if people want to come and play its cool with me. But i only have 1 xbox, 2 tv's, and one copy of super so if it is going to get bigger than that people will have to bring tv's/xbox/ps3/super/sticks or pads. At most i think i can get 4 setups going but we might have to be creative. if anything is going to happen just post and i will get back to you guys. btw i am located in Bay shore right down the block from the high school.
  • kairu1kairu1 Joined: Posts: 431
    Been talking with Haitian_sensation about having weekly crack sessions at my house. Theres going to be a small one tommorow (thrusday August 5th) from 2-6 in my garage. All are welcome to come, but I have to be done at 6. Saturdays are looking to be our weekly meetup day, were im going to hold crack sessions from 6-whenever. Hit me up if your interested I live in wheatley heights exit 50 on the LIE. PM me and I'll give my address.
  • KailKail Joined: Posts: 2,447
    Please! I'm without a car now but soon I'll have a ride under me. I'm so down for this shit.

Get at me in any way you can. Artistbydefault@gmail.com, or PM me here.
  • bowfacekillahbowfacekillah Joined: Posts: 106
    id be down to come play, just got my hours cut at work :\
    Depending on everyone's location, I can pick people up in my soccer mom van to go to sessions. This week I'm free from work 'til Friday and I'm down to go to any session. Let me know how far you guys live from Central Islip, that will let me know how far you guys are from me.

Also, if anyone knows of a tournament besides Guard Crush(because I know this one), let me know so I can gather people and we can head out to it and I can take that free.lol
    Depending on everyone's location, I can pick people up in my soccer mom van to go to sessions. This week I'm free from work 'til Friday and I'm down to go to any session. Let me know how far you guys live from Central Islip, that will let me know how far you guys are from me.

Also, if anyone knows of a tournament besides Guard Crush(because I know this one), let me know so I can gather people and we can head out to it and I can take that free.lol

http://shoryuken.com/f7/anime-castle-flushing-ny-super-street-fighter-4-blazblue-tourney-08-14-2010-a-244346/

There's this one which I can't make because of work. Also I live in Smithtown which i know for a fact isn't that far from Central Islip. If you're going to be driving to Guard Crush next week I'm in there. (as long as i don't have work)
  • vanivani Joined: Posts: 421
    are you guys by Suny Stony Brook? Cause we had sessions some what regularly last semester. Hoping it happens again and maybe someone else can take charge that doesn't goto school there to do sessions more regularly since kevin is too busy sometimes.

im down for sessions for any where i can get to from on the uni buses here since i dont think ima drive my car down.
  • BisonopolisBisonopolis It was Tuesday! Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Sexy
    THIS IS SHADALOO. WE SELL DRUGS! - IFC Yipes
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    so whats the deal guys? any way we can get some casusals anywhere?
    Just want to let you all know that I'm working at getting us back into the Smithtown PnT. But if I do I need a reaaaaaallly good turnout for the first one so that Tony sees I can still pull em in.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
  • F1del CashFl0wF1del CashFl0w Joined: Posts: 43
    i live in wyandanch i want to play casuals out somewhere
    i relitivly new to this game but i live close to exit 47 off the L.I.E so i could get to one of your crack sessions in the future if your holding one
    Just want to let you all know that I'm working at getting us back into the Smithtown PnT. But if I do I need a reaaaaaallly good turnout for the first one so that Tony sees I can still pull em in.

Mondo cool
    I like to hear that Bisonopolis. Those tournaments are the best ones I've been to. As far as Guard Crush, if I don't have work, I'll be there. Anyone that is close to me or on the way, I'll pick up if they want to go. I wish I could make the Anime Castle tourney, but I have work.

@F1del CashFl0w, We are starting sessions over at kairu's house. That is the only location for the time being. There is also PnT in Bayshore, if you want to drive out here.

@vani, I miss those Stony Brook sessions man. Someone who attends the school should try and get the sessions running again. Stony Brook has a lot of players and we should take advantage of that.
  • Scrubmaster_KScrubmaster_K What it is Joined: Posts: 119
    Is the Bay Shore session still going this weekend?
    Dedication.

If you're playing just to win, you're doing it wrong.
    I'm not sure if it'll happen because of summer jam. Eli might not do it because Joe won't be there and he does sessions whenever he wants. What we need is a location where we have constant sessions.

http://shoryuken.com/f19/nyc-game-over-sundays-g-o-s-246970/
    This post was made two days ago and the venue is free. My friend told me it's four blocks away from Penn Station. If you don't have a car, you can take the LIRR to Penn and walk there.
  • Mo0NsMo0Ns Just like Cap but better. Joined: Posts: 443
    Hey guys, I just posted a thread (http://shoryuken.com/f19/any-players-long-island-looking-spot-play-casually-possible-tournaments-247073/#post9340871) prior to seeing this post. I have the same interests. I want to help better the supposed 'shitty' community of Long Island. I'm not looking for the best players, we just need players!

I'm down to visit any location east of exit 40. I live on exit 60 in Ronkonkoma. I'm willing to pick people up and visit a location. I'm willing to hold events at my house. Anything to help get the scene up and going. My house is right around the block from the Ronkonkoma train station (LIRR).

My gamertag is Mo0Ns. (second o is a zero) Please, if the OP can contact me by PM or XBL, do so. If anybody else can do so. If we build it, they will come. Lets get it done.

MoONs
    UMvC3: Nova, Taskmaster, Amaterasu / Shuma, Spencer, Doom
    SSF4AE: Cody
    twitter.com/xMOONS
    That is what I like to hear. Someone else who is willing to pick people up and have sessions at their house. I live off of exit 58 in CI, so I can make to your house easily. I can bring people from my area to your house for some casuals.

What times can you have people over your house for sessions? Post up the times and see if people can make it to your house.
    Well right now i'm jobless. Most of my time is spent hunting for jobs and driving everywhere for my parents. I'm free alot, that's why i decided to finally take the time out and see if i can get something going. I'm taking down your name haitian_sensation. I'm gathering some names and i'm gonna make a thread asking for more names. Depending on how many people are willing to come I'll go through with setting up my basement for sessions.

Then depending on how many people are willing to come for certain days (we don't need too many), that's when I'll hold the session.

MoONs
    twitter.com/xMOONS
    Arcade opening in smith haven mall??? Maybe they will have some good games.
    I was there yesterday. I didn't see anything, did they start building it yet?

MoONs
    twitter.com/xMOONS
    I was there yesterday. I didn't see anything, did they start building it yet?

Don't know anything girl friend told me about it, but hopefully the owner knows about fighting games so we can see some modern stuff
    Do whatever you need to get this thing started. The community needs to get together and make something happen. I'll keep in contact with the people that don't use SRK and keep them informed of what's happening. Now that my basement is about 80% clean, I can start hosting sessions at house really soon.

@bglaugher, Are you sure their opening an arcade in SmithHaven Mall? I doubt they would put any fighting games in there because no one that shops there looks like they play competitive, unless it's CoD.
    Yeah, i wouldn't bet a lot on them putting fighting games in. Just like every other recent small arcade, it'll be Guitar Hero Arcade, a few racing games, and ticket games. The only "arcade" i know of that has fighting game(s) is the Dave and Buster's in Islandia. They have Street Fighter II (Not Super Turbo) on a MAME arcade machine, and the controls are somewhat janky.
    D&B has tekken 6 i think.
    I'm off of work until next Saturday besides today so anyone that wants to set something up, let me know.
    I'm gonna set something up at the end of next week. my plan was to actually hold one today or in a few days, but a family member has passed away. Look for my post sometime around Wednesday.

MoONs
    twitter.com/xMOONS
    Anyone that is looking to go to Guard Crush this Wednesday, let me know ASAP so I can get a head count. Also, any contribution to gas will be helpful. Remember to leave your address here or pm me if you feel more comfortable that way.
  • CarmineMacCarmineMac I Main Olajuwon Joined: Posts: 98
    Leveling-up Long Island

I've been looking into ways to get the LI community organized for a while now. I come from an arcade background, and I think the best players are developed with face-to-face competition. I peaked in Second Impact, then my local arcade closed (RIP Nassau Mall), and I have sucked ever since. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being terrible at fighting games! We need the camaraderie (and the rivalry) that a tight-knit scene has. We need to work together to level up Long Island. Articles like this inspire me. Do we have what it takes to support a regular meeting place, a fight club of sorts? Is there enough interest? Where is the ideal location? Or... is everyone simply content playing online?

It sounds like most of the SRKers posting on LI threads are from Suffolk County. Is anyone from Nassau? Are the Suffolk players willing to travel to Nassau? I live in Rockville Centre, and there are a ton of bars with private rooms available. I'd love to do a test run at one such public location to see what kind of turnout we could expect. The location would be close to the LIRR, so it'd be convenient to travel to from out east or from NYC. If plenty of players show up, then we'd look into renting a space and establishing a more permanent home for the LI community.

What games would people want to play? SSF4? BB? Tekken? Older games like 3S or MvC2? Would people be willing to bring setups (consoles, lag-free TVs, games)?

Please post here if you want to make this happen! I'm open to suggestions and willing to invest in our community if the interest is there. Let's do this, Long Island!!!
    well im probably the furthest one east. But if you guys set something up in nassau id have no problems traveling to sessions. I could bring a 360 and tv no prob, i'm down to play and learn any FG really but the only ones that I am decent at are SSF4 and 3S.
  • MechWarriorMechWarrior Joined: Posts: 5,705
    As long as there's a venue not too far out of the way, I'll make my best effort to get to it.

I'm from Centerport, BTW.
    XBL: MechWarriorNY
    I've been looking into ways to get the LI community organized for a while now. I come from an arcade background, and I think the best players are developed with face-to-face competition. I peaked in Second Impact, then my local arcade closed (RIP Nassau Mall), and I have sucked ever since. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being terrible at fighting games! We need the camaraderie (and the rivalry) that a tight-knit scene has. We need to work together to level up Long Island. Articles like this inspire me. Do we have what it takes to support a regular meeting place, a fight club of sorts? Is there enough interest? Where is the ideal location? Or... is everyone simply content playing online?

It sounds like most of the SRKers posting on LI threads are from Suffolk County. Is anyone from Nassau? Are the Suffolk players willing to travel to Nassau? I live in Rockville Centre, and there are a ton of bars with private rooms available. I'd love to do a test run at one such public location to see what kind of turnout we could expect. The location would be close to the LIRR, so it'd be convenient to travel to from out east or from NYC. If plenty of players show up, then we'd look into renting a space and establishing a more permanent home for the LI community.

What games would people want to play? SSF4? BB? Tekken? Older games like 3S or MvC2? Would people be willing to bring setups (consoles, lag-free TVs, games)?

Please post here if you want to make this happen! I'm open to suggestions and willing to invest in our community if the interest is there. Let's do this, Long Island!!!

This is the right person I was looking for. The same ideal location and scene that I want Strong Island to have. I have no problem driving out to Nassau for a session(I've done it before). I read the article on the venues and it sounds simple to start up. The problem I see is finding these foundering players. I hope we can find dedicated people who will go the extra mile to support the venue. I'm all for it. Keep me updated with any new information that you have.
    there's a tourney in freeport on the 21st
    I have work so I can't make that tourney.
  • vanivani Joined: Posts: 421
    place is too far for me and it looks like you have to go through penn if i take the train. in which case id rather look for sessions in the city if i had to go that way honestly.

ill try to make it to any session held on the east side of LI but i probably won't have my car till the end of the semester or maybe slightly earlier if i decide to drive back after a holiday.

Nassau looks bad for me though. At least if google maps is what accurate its just too far.
  • booty clapperbooty clapper Grrrrrr Joined: Posts: 1,726
    http://shoryuken.com/f7/guard-crush-6-08-18-10-brooklyn-ny-ssf4-sfiii-3s-246464/#post9312127

Guard Crush 6 tonight in Brooklyn!!! Hope to see you guys there. All info is in the post. Any questions call myself or Mike. If you are going to be late, CALL US!!!!
    #SNKPlaymore & #Alpha2 on efnet
  • KailKail Joined: Posts: 2,447
    Carmine, I'm in nassau...Roslyn Heights/Westbury. Get at me son.
    Okay guys. Looks like were back in there at Smithtown PnT. I'll keep you all updated.
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    I also had to take a 70%-30% pay cut so I could run it at Pnt so you guys better love me <3
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.
    Best news I've heard in a while. I'll bring as many people as I can in my van. Let me know the date and I'll give the heads up to people that aren't on SRK.
    Sweet. It's nice to hear this. My plans for my basement spot didn't completely fall apart, but I've been dealing with alot of stuff (funeral, school starting, job hunting) so I haven't gotten around to it. This will definitely be good until I can get things ready. Most likely I won't have to though.

btw Bisonopolis owned me the other day on XBL :x

MoONs
    twitter.com/xMOONS
    Possibly September 4th
    AV by savaii64
    SSF4 - M.Bison , Vega.