Spokane, WA - Game On relocating, fight nights temporarily cancelled

House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane Valley, WAJoined: Posts: 250
Game On (our gracious hosts every week) was burglarized and everything they need to operate their business was taken. The bastards were caught and some of the equipment was recovered, but Game On decided to take some time off and relocate.

Until further notice, Fight Nights are cancelled!

The Spokane Fight Club meets every Thursday night at 6:00 PM at Game On in the Spokane Valley!

Game On is located next to Pawn One. Pawn One is located at 11812 E. Sprague Ave. and Game On is in the building behind it. Current charge is $5 a night (6 PM - 12 AM) or $10 for all Thursdays in a month.

Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_213457255341791
XBL: HousOfPaincakes

Comments

• OldbeanOldbean Joined: Posts: 40
    Actually, I'm from Cheney and I've got 3-4 other friends interested in casual fighting game matches. If you were at Spoklash then you may remember me as Oldbean. Anyways, lets keep this thread bumped so any other potential players can see it.
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane Valley, WA Joined: Posts: 250
    Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Spoklash because it was right before my wedding.

The place I have interested in hosting this is the Hastings in the Spokane Valley at Sullivan and Sprague. Is that too far of a drive for you guys?

I'm thinking of trying to meet once every two weeks, possibly alternating between casual matches and tournaments.
  • ZerxionZerxion Joined: Posts: 5
    Yup, so hopefully this will get off the ground soon, I always kind of cursed Spokane for not having a good fighting game scene. So it's nice that someone is taking the effort and time to get it started.
    So, how much of this stuff do we actually have to bring. Hastings won't be able to provide tvs, tables or chairs?
  • Gimpyfish62Gimpyfish62 Master of Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,820
    I'm moving to Cheney this year for school =]
    "He's the Tony Stark of Captain America." ~Bokkin
  • DoughBoyDoughBoy MvC3 cameos PLZ Joined: Posts: 2,930
    Eastern? Really? Are they still accredited?
    Using their moles in the local public utilities office, Klansmen would locate vulnerable blacks during the winter based on which households hadn't paid their bills in over six months. - Robert Plummer
    Lol.
    So, how much of this stuff do we actually have to bring. Hastings won't be able to provide tvs, tables or chairs?

I still need to work that out with the store. I approached Hastings right before their store manager was going on a two week vacation, I think he gets back later this week and I have my written proposal ready for him. That's basically what's put us on hold so far.
  • KatsuroKatsuro obsessed Joined: Posts: 22
    fight club

I'm in Moscow (1hr+ drive to Spokane) but would love to hit up some casuals on a regular basis. I went to Spoklash too; it would be good to generate a community in this area.

David
    You no scare, I no scare
    Hey David, I sent you a PM if you wanna play some casuals.
    I'm in Moscow (1hr+ drive to Spokane) but would love to hit up some casuals on a regular basis. I went to Spoklash too; it would be good to generate a community in this area.

David

Awesome, didn't expect interest from that far away!

Out of curiosity, how many players participated in the SSF4 portion of Spoklash?
  • samiamx50samiamx50 Samwise I Am Joined: Posts: 63
    Ha ha, we've been trying to get some Spokane action going since at least Vanilla SF4 but couldn't get anything to work out... Well WSU finally has a crew playing regularly in Pullman and we were looking to see if the Spokomptonites were getting together now. We've got about 6 people in our group and once the semester starts we're gonna look for more. Anyways, we're down to travel or potentially host some action and we're really looking forward to playing some more people. Most of us will be back in the area in the third week of August, so keep posting up here if something works out. Looking forward to maybe finally getting something together!
    That's be great to get some WSU folk in on this. I'm bringing my proposal to the Hastings manager this Friday, he *should* be back by then and hopefully we could get this started the following week (Friday, August 13th). That might be too short of notice though so that would push it to the next Friday, August 20th. I'm assuming that's the weekend you guys would be in Spokane?
    I'll get something consistentish in the Cheney are - I'll also work on some of the smashers in the area =]

I'll get an ewa crew we can do ewa vs wasu haha
    Paincakes: We should be back around then but our crew is discussing attending the Gameclucks tourney on the 21st so we may be travelling back to the West Side that day. Have you guys thought about playing at that one? If it doesn't work out for us though, there is a good chance we could head up to Spokane for the evening. I'll let you know when it gets closer and we figure everything out.

Gimpy: Convert those Smash players! Help them see the SF light ha ha. It'd be fun to do a EWA vs WSU for sure :)
    Gyahhhhhh double post mishap... >.<
    Well, if you aren't planning on LEAVING Spokane until the 21st then there shouldn't be an issue since we'll be playing on the 20th :razzy:

No way I could make the Gameclucks tourney though. I'm fairly busy as a newlywed with house projects and such, so a 4 1/2 drive just for a tournament is kind of out of the question, heh.
    And by 'that day' for travel I meant the 20th ha ha... I should really learn to type more clearly lol
    And by 'that day' for travel I meant the 20th ha ha... I should really learn to type more clearly lol

Heh, I figured as much but I just wanted to give you a hard time.

Well, in that case I will try and push for August 13th but I have a feeling that will be too soon. Even if the store manager is on our side (which he is), he still has to bring this to his district manager for approval and I don't know how long that will delay things.

I'll update you guys tomorrow when I bring the proposal in, maybe get a timeframe or something.
    I'm gonna in Hawaii (woot!) for a end of summer vacation for the next week so I won't be around to communicate to the guys in Pullman for a bit. I'll try to get them on here (the slackers) and maybe the ones in your area can make it for the 13th. Once again though, our whole crew won't be back until around the 18th but hopefully we can get something started.
    I'd appreciate it if you could get those guys on SRK. There are several people who have several friends interested, but I'd like to have all our communication done through this thread and not have to rely on one person to get in touch with those other guys.
    Okay...I went to Hastings to hand in my proposal and the manager is STILL ON VACATION!

He will be back on Monday. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • DannyPhamDannyPham Joined: Posts: 20
    Wow. I never posted. Haha.

How's that proposal going?
    Haven't heard anything since turning it in last Friday. If I don't hear anything today, I'm going to call the store tomorrow and try to figure out what to expect.

They'll probably just tell me to wait another week while it sits in the district manager's inbox with a million other things, but at least I can try and put some pressure on them.
    I went into Hastings today and was finally able to talk to the store manager face-to-face. He's not sure how long it will take to hear back from the district manager but it could take over a week. They do not have any equipment on hand but depending on how much the district manager wants to do this, they may be able to provide some. They are not, however, allowed to charge us any sort of rental fee for equipment which could be good but it could make them less willing to provide equipment.

Anyways, that's all I found out. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.
  • barbalootsuitbarbalootsuit Joined: Posts: 11
    Hey I JUST moved to Spokane for school and I am really thirsty for some SSF4 scene. I am starting grad school in a week so I'll likely be pretty busy but I would love to get involved with anything that starts happening around these parts.

I am a PS3 guy so I naturally have PS3 stick but if anyone knows how/where I could get it modded for cross console I would totally be down for that.

I Smash too but not as much as I used to.

I really hope you get this off the ground! I would be on board to help in whatever way I can once I figure out just how much of my soul grad school is going to own!
    Hey, thanks for popping in. Are you going to grad school at Gonzaga? I'm an undergrad alum :smile:

Still no word from Hastings, unfortunately, but I appreciate any help we can get. Like I said, it looks like X-Box will be console of choice based on what the current player base is playing on but we might set up a PS3 on one of the TVs if we get more PS3 players on board (right now we only have two).

I'm sure you can find some info on the SRK boards regarding dual-modding your stick. I don't know much about it but I think a cthulu board is the one you need for that. As for "where" you could get that done, I know that DannyPham created his own PS3 custom stick so he might be able to help you. I'm not sure if he just modified an SE/TE or created one from scratch though.

Would you by chance be able to provide a TV? That appears to be our biggest issue but hopefully Hastings can come through with something.
    I'm going to grad school on at the WSU/EWU Riverpoint medical campus for Speech Pathology.

I don't know that my TV is going to be very portable. I actually haven't laid eyes, or more importantly, hands on it yet since its more or less lost in the mail (long story). I'll let you know though once I figure out how much of a hassle it is to hulk around.

I've been interested in modding out my TE stick for a while now. I don't know exactly what I would be shopping for though. If I duel mod I might as well go all the way and try to add a little more tension to the stick like I've been wanting. I guess I better start reading the threads on that! If not though, or until then, are people friendly about whoring out their 360 sticks?

Back where I'm from I never had much of a scene to play in. Just online and some scrubby friends who I consistently wrecked. lol. Community play is the only real way to level up like I want to, it seems.
    Cool, that would be awesome if you could bring that TV...sucks about it being stuck in the mail though. I think my wife and I are going to buy a new TV within the next couple weeks for our bedroom which will likely be a ~40" LCD so I could probably transport that without too much difficulty.

I haven't met anyone in this community yet so I have no idea how willing everyone will be to lend out sticks, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find someone who would. I only have one TE which I'm happy to lend out if I happen to not be playing, and then a Fightpad that I used before getting the TE. In the end, everyone is responsible for their own equipment and no one is obligated to lend anything. With that being the case, I would really recommend dual-modding your stick just so you can cover yourself. Again, I'm sure some people will be willing to lend equipment but there's no way that extra sticks can be guaranteed.

I've heard that there was a tournament a few months back at SFCC and there was a good sized crowd of people in the SSF4 tournament, so I know that there is a community out there. It just seems like since then no one has stepped up to try and get anything going on.
    If you can't get hastings, why not just host it at a college or church. At least they'll have a few tvs and chairs we can use, and it'll probably be free.
    churches are great venues and are often free/cheaper than renting out a place

i can probably host some get-togethers in cheney when i move over

I should be in the spokane area september 12th =D

barbalootsuit nice to hear there are MORE people in the area - if you want to smash or play street fighter and you're around cheney i'll probably be a good guy for you to play XD
    I'll keep those ideas in mind. I just think Hastings would be nice because they actually sell video games so we could potentially catch the eye of people in the store and get more people involved. They also sell some snacks and drinks which would be nice if we're going for a few hours.

Since Hastings is not allowed to rent equipment to us, I'm hoping that they also aren't allowed to charge for using their space either. The manager specifically said they can't "charge" us to use any equipment but I don't think that means they can't let us use it for free. It kind of depends on how much Hastings wants to get behind this.

However, should Hastings fall through then I'll start looking at churches and schools. I'm a member of a church near my house so that might help, though they may require church staff to be present to lock things up when we are done so that might create time constraints.

As for SCC/SFCC, that's definitely an option but I'm not sure how open they are to events hosted by non-students. I know that SFCC has a gamer's club and they were the ones who hosted Spoklash in May. I tried getting in touch with them but didn't have much luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and hopefully Hastings hurries the hell up!
  • ZeroStar.hXZeroStar.hX Heart and Soul Joined: Posts: 133
    Hay dudes :3
    I'll also likely start a gaming club at eastern and i'll hopefully be able to run tournaments through that if possible.
    barbalootsuit - I'm looking into making my own custom 360 stick so I'll have an extra to lend out. I figured I might as well look into dual-modding it and in case you haven't looked into it, this is what I've found out.

The Cthulhu board I mentioned is only multi-console for pretty much everything EXCEPT for X-Box 360. The Chimp board is actually what you would need, which combines a PS3 Cthulhu board and a Imp board and allows for both PS3 and 360 compatibility on a single USB. However, it looks like support is limited right now and is only for "advanced users" according to Lizard Lick's website. They run from $30-$50 depending on the accessories you want included.

You will need to hack the PCB of a 360 pad (around $25 for a cheap Madcatz one) because the Chimp needs to be soldered to the common ground of a 360 pad. So you're looking at about $55-$75 for the Chimp and this PCB and then whatever soldering/wiring equipment you might need to buy.

EDIT: Okay, so I noticed in that thread that they say you CAN use the Chimp in a stick all by itself, but it sounds like you won't have the console auto-detection. If the chimp is installed by itself, you hold down LK, MP, and FK while plugging it in to force 360 mode. At least that's what I think I'm reading.

More info: Toodles Chimp Board
    Cthulhu/Chimp board thread: http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-cthulhu-chimp-thread-162026/
    I'll also likely start a gaming club at eastern and i'll hopefully be able to run tournaments through that if possible.

There already is a gamer's club in EWU, however they're more about traditional games such as magic and warhammer.
    i figured there already would be SOMETHING

i'll look into it anyway, i like starting club and things like that

i also just really like video games LOL
    You might just want to get in touch with the president of that club and let him know what you like to do.

Although if they're strictly tabletop gaming right now then they might not be interested in video games, in which case I guess you'd have to start a separate club. It just might be easier to make it an offshoot of the existing gaming club if you can.
    I gotta check out this WSU meetup, hit me up w/ info
    You no scare, I no scare
  • ZerxionZerxion Joined: Posts: 5
    I go to SCC so I can try and see if the gaming club there would be willing to host something. I'm pretty sure at least a few play fighting games so some would be interested.

I'm gonna be gone though, tomorrow I fly out to Cali. I'm visiting my Dad and I won't be back in Spokane till mid-ish September when fall quarter starts.
    Just trollin' this thread like a mofo to keep things alive; SFCC club had trouble with prizes and esp. anything to do with money which was a downer ;) but it was fun. hey shoutouts to house of paincakes for looking for a venue; gl with that, honestly I think a sizeable living room would serve better, esp. for the money side of things. Anyway let's keep these ideas rolling.
    You no scare, I no scare
    Heh, thanks for the shoutout Katsuro!

What exactly was the trouble with money/prizes at the SFCC club? Did it have something to do with the school's involvement? I would just like to know more details just to try and prevent something similar from happening.

A living room COULD suffice for now, but we are already looking at 12+ people. I think you would need a pretty big living room just to support that and I'm really hoping this thing will expand and get bigger.

A buddy of mine on the Penny Arcade forums started a fight club in his hometown a few months ago and only started with 6 people. Now they are up to 30+.
    Hey all! The WSU scene has really started taking off. We've decided on weekly Saturday night events at my friend George's place at 8:00 in Pullman. We should usually have 2 tvs going for now, one with a PS3 and two TE sticks, one with 360 and sticks depending on who shows. Last time we had 10ish people and two of them had 360 TE sticks, but they may not always be able to make it. Bring your own stick if you want to be safe. Our gang is pretty friendly so it shouldn't be a problem if someone wants to borrow a stick, but if you have them, you might want to bring em if you don't mind sharing as well. If anyone is interested in joining up for a sesh, call George at 509-230-7175. We're starting this Saturday! We'll prolly start with casuals and friendly tourneys for a while and then move on to low-$ buy in tourneys when our crew becomes fairly regular.

If the Spokane-area crew wants to come down and join, we're all for it! We may need to find a bigger space as well depending on interest, but if you guys want to come just call George beforehand so we can start planning. The other guys are (finally) starting to activate their SRK accounts so they should start posting up soon! Also, if you guys have figured out your plans, maybe we can work out a bi-weekly thing where sometimes we go up there or ya'll come down here. All that is speculation so far but we're really trying to get down to business and level up the East Side! Post or call if you guys wanna hang.
    That's cool to hear you guys got a good crowd going. How is it with only having two TVs and 10ish people? It sounds like you guys are going to have to think about expanding to a new location if it gets much larger.

Thanks for the invite but I know that I wouldn't be able to drive down there just for a SSF4 gathering, no idea about the other guys though. With that being the case, if our Spokane group wanted to drive down there then someone else would have to organize car-pooling and all that, but I would be happy to advertise you guys. I was looking at hosting our events every two weeks so if we could alternate our get-togethers then those that are willing to make the trip could do both.

Unfortunately, still no word from Hastings.
    Hey House just pointing out how off campus, residential places are more conducive to moneymatching, cash prize pools. School orgs have rules, like they can't give out cash, don't wanna see cash changing hands, etc. HOWEVER size/space may become an issue but I don't meet many players these days, but of course I do hope we get something of a scene going. Wow I make little sense...
    BTW finally got around to making an xbox account
    You no scare, I no scare
    Yeah, I can see your point. My friend that I mentioned earlier who started something similar is actually hosting his events at Hastings too and they don't have a problem with them doing buy-in tournaments. This is across the country though, so hopefully they have the same attitude here.

Shoot me an XBL invite, gamertag is HousOfPaincakes. I have hardly played at all in the last few weeks due to Starcraft 2 but I think it's time I get back in the game!
    Hey guys, just a reminder: Pullman Fightnight this Saturday at 8:00! Check my earlier post for info.
    I have a suggestion in case the Hastings idea falls through. Maybe at a restaurant or something would host. I know a lot of them will host anything that promises food sales. Just a thought! (And just trying to busy up the thread!)
    Do you have any specific ideas of a restaurant that would be hosting? I think the big problem is most restaurants aren't going to have the extra floorspace to host something like this, and most probably aren't going to want a bunch of yelling gamers bothering other customers.

Although now that I think about it, there is a bar I have some connections with. They have a back room that they typically wall off unless it's rented out. I might be able to work something out with them, but the catch is that we would 100% be responsible for ALL of our own equipment. They have several TVs in that room but they're all mounted high up and wouldn't really work for gaming.

Thanks for the idea though! Let me know if there's somewhere in particular that's you're thinking of. I'm going to call Hastings tomorrow and find out if the manager has heard anything because it's been about two weeks since I spoke with him.
    Players and spectators has a space. Not sure if they have tvs or anything back there, I could check next time i'm in the Valley.