Spokane, WA - Game On relocating, fight nights temporarily cancelled

Comments

• KatsuroKatsuro obsessed Joined: Posts: 22
    Just trollin' this thread like a mofo to keep things alive; SFCC club had trouble with prizes and esp. anything to do with money which was a downer ;) but it was fun. hey shoutouts to house of paincakes for looking for a venue; gl with that, honestly I think a sizeable living room would serve better, esp. for the money side of things. Anyway let's keep these ideas rolling.
    You no scare, I no scare
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane Valley, WA Joined: Posts: 250
    Heh, thanks for the shoutout Katsuro!

What exactly was the trouble with money/prizes at the SFCC club? Did it have something to do with the school's involvement? I would just like to know more details just to try and prevent something similar from happening.

A living room COULD suffice for now, but we are already looking at 12+ people. I think you would need a pretty big living room just to support that and I'm really hoping this thing will expand and get bigger.

A buddy of mine on the Penny Arcade forums started a fight club in his hometown a few months ago and only started with 6 people. Now they are up to 30+.
    XBL: HousOfPaincakes
  • samiamx50samiamx50 Samwise I Am Joined: Posts: 63
    Hey all! The WSU scene has really started taking off. We've decided on weekly Saturday night events at my friend George's place at 8:00 in Pullman. We should usually have 2 tvs going for now, one with a PS3 and two TE sticks, one with 360 and sticks depending on who shows. Last time we had 10ish people and two of them had 360 TE sticks, but they may not always be able to make it. Bring your own stick if you want to be safe. Our gang is pretty friendly so it shouldn't be a problem if someone wants to borrow a stick, but if you have them, you might want to bring em if you don't mind sharing as well. If anyone is interested in joining up for a sesh, call George at 509-230-7175. We're starting this Saturday! We'll prolly start with casuals and friendly tourneys for a while and then move on to low-$ buy in tourneys when our crew becomes fairly regular.

If the Spokane-area crew wants to come down and join, we're all for it! We may need to find a bigger space as well depending on interest, but if you guys want to come just call George beforehand so we can start planning. The other guys are (finally) starting to activate their SRK accounts so they should start posting up soon! Also, if you guys have figured out your plans, maybe we can work out a bi-weekly thing where sometimes we go up there or ya'll come down here. All that is speculation so far but we're really trying to get down to business and level up the East Side! Post or call if you guys wanna hang.
    That's cool to hear you guys got a good crowd going. How is it with only having two TVs and 10ish people? It sounds like you guys are going to have to think about expanding to a new location if it gets much larger.

Thanks for the invite but I know that I wouldn't be able to drive down there just for a SSF4 gathering, no idea about the other guys though. With that being the case, if our Spokane group wanted to drive down there then someone else would have to organize car-pooling and all that, but I would be happy to advertise you guys. I was looking at hosting our events every two weeks so if we could alternate our get-togethers then those that are willing to make the trip could do both.

Unfortunately, still no word from Hastings.
    Hey House just pointing out how off campus, residential places are more conducive to moneymatching, cash prize pools. School orgs have rules, like they can't give out cash, don't wanna see cash changing hands, etc. HOWEVER size/space may become an issue but I don't meet many players these days, but of course I do hope we get something of a scene going. Wow I make little sense...
    BTW finally got around to making an xbox account
    You no scare, I no scare
    Yeah, I can see your point. My friend that I mentioned earlier who started something similar is actually hosting his events at Hastings too and they don't have a problem with them doing buy-in tournaments. This is across the country though, so hopefully they have the same attitude here.

Shoot me an XBL invite, gamertag is HousOfPaincakes. I have hardly played at all in the last few weeks due to Starcraft 2 but I think it's time I get back in the game!
    Hey guys, just a reminder: Pullman Fightnight this Saturday at 8:00! Check my earlier post for info.
  • barbalootsuitbarbalootsuit Joined: Posts: 11
    I have a suggestion in case the Hastings idea falls through. Maybe at a restaurant or something would host. I know a lot of them will host anything that promises food sales. Just a thought! (And just trying to busy up the thread!)
    Do you have any specific ideas of a restaurant that would be hosting? I think the big problem is most restaurants aren't going to have the extra floorspace to host something like this, and most probably aren't going to want a bunch of yelling gamers bothering other customers.

Although now that I think about it, there is a bar I have some connections with. They have a back room that they typically wall off unless it's rented out. I might be able to work something out with them, but the catch is that we would 100% be responsible for ALL of our own equipment. They have several TVs in that room but they're all mounted high up and wouldn't really work for gaming.

Thanks for the idea though! Let me know if there's somewhere in particular that's you're thinking of. I'm going to call Hastings tomorrow and find out if the manager has heard anything because it's been about two weeks since I spoke with him.
  • OldbeanOldbean Joined: Posts: 40
    Players and spectators has a space. Not sure if they have tvs or anything back there, I could check next time i'm in the Valley.
  • barbalootsuitbarbalootsuit Joined: Posts: 11
    Hey, this thread has been dead for a while.

Any news?
    Hey guys.

I've been extremely busy the last few weeks and haven't even been able to think about this. However, I just called up Hastings again and the store manager still has not heard from their district manager. That's a little ridiculous considering I gave him the proposal almost two months ago. I'm going to start looking into other locations again now that my schedule isn't so full.

Oldbean - you mentioned Players and Spectators. Did you look into that at all? It might be difficult to secure a spot there on a Friday night unless it is otherwise not used. Could be worth a shot though!

On another note, I got to play Katsuro last night for a bit on XBL from Moscow, ID. I got thoroughly trashed by his Ryu. He's no longer allowed to come to the fight club :rofl:
    Don't worry Paincakes... He trashes all of us lol
    Heh, I'm not too surprised. His execution was extremely tight. I did get one game on him though! It's weird to play a Ryu like that when there are so many awful ones on XBL.
  • Gimpyfish62Gimpyfish62 Master of Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,820
    I'm officially comfortably moved into eastern in Cheney - contacting gaming clubs and possibly starting my own for fighting games (we'll see) but I'll have internet on Friday and will hopefully be able to meet some of you guys online soon. I'll hopefully be able to host some in person sessions and make it to yours as well!
    "He's the Tony Stark of Captain America." ~Bokkin
    Hey gimpy, wanna give me you contact info? We can set something small up on the weekends in Cheney, been dying to play new people.
    <3 u guys too XD
    I'm jonesin for that A-rank this week on xbl so hit me up for matches anytime, I am training a lot :)
    You no scare, I no scare
    You live in Cheney bean?
    yeah, I live in cheney.
    Sent you a private message
  • hiei_yashahiei_yasha Joined: Posts: 41
    So anything new on the Spokane area fighting game community?
    I just recently got into ssf4 and would love to know about what's available. I'd rather get my ass handed to me IRL than online, at least that way I could get some direct advice as to how to improve.
    hiei_yasha, I can give you feedback if you wanna spar in an endless lobby, add me
    You no scare, I no scare
    so let's start scheduling this and work something out with all of us

i can probably do stuff at my place on a weekly basis, just not on the weekends unfortunately, and i'm all the way in cheney (long way from some of you!) but weekends for me are tricky, i'm trying to get sundays off at work - maybe i can do stuff more reliably that day than saturday?

i dunno i just want to play humans again.
  • EazyGEazyG Joined: Posts: 29
    I'll be in spokane until sunday probably starting tuesday or wednesday of next week. Hit me up for some games if anything is going on. I'll have the PS3, monitor, and sticks with me.
    There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there. You must go beyond them.
  • Ronny HainesRonny Haines Joined: Posts: 40
    hey

Let me know if you guys meet up, I live by zag and have 2 te sticks, we can meet at my place any time. I miss having gatherings.:sad:

add me on xbl as well
    ...o0OKoreaNWhitEBoYO0o...
  • Beikoku TaichouBeikoku Taichou Call me BT Joined: Posts: 251
    You Spokane guys interested in a 5v5 against the best in Missoula, MT?
    Ask me about Montana Street Fighter
    im down
    spokane can we please get organized and start meeting up for ssf4??? After thanks giving ill start hosting at my house.
  • EazyGEazyG Joined: Posts: 29
    Do it this weekend :) my buddy and I are here from Pullman and we'd both love to get some games in.
    There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there. You must go beyond them.
  • hiei_yashahiei_yasha Joined: Posts: 41
    i'm up for playing ronny, i live near northtown which isn't too far from gonzaga. weekends are tough for me since i have a "ball and chain" aka wife.
    Lets meet next week sometime, what would be a good time to meet that everyone could meet up? I'd love to do that 5 vs 5 with montana and get some games in before the online tourney on the 5th.
    i'm up for playing ronny, i live near northtown which isn't too far from gonzaga. weekends are tough for me since i have a "ball and chain" aka wife.

What days could you meet up?
  • gameclucksgameclucks Joined: Posts: 318
    TP Portland on Dec 18th!!!! You all should put a carpool together!!
    Gimpyfish knows the run down on TP events!
    I leave to Arizona that day. =(
    ronny you live near zag? that's not TOO far from cheney! we shoudl play some time, these upcoming weeks (and subsequent winter break) will be VERY difficult because of finals and what not, but you're not so far off. I'll try to arrange something with the cheney guys and your guys!
    ronny you live near zag? that's not TOO far from cheney! we shoudl play some time, these upcoming weeks (and subsequent winter break) will be VERY difficult because of finals and what not, but you're not so far off. I'll try to arrange something with the cheney guys and your guys!
    Ya I feel ya on the finals. You down to come by this Saturday???
    I'd be down to host a small gathering this Saturday to take a break from homework.
    you know that might actually work this week because i don't have school

i'll message the others

it'll also depend on if my car is working by then or not.
    Sweet sounds good, Im free anytime. Yeah try and round some people up and we'll figure what the best time to meet up is.
    Hey Everyone, I'm trying to have a ssf4 or Marvel gathering at my house this Saturday the 4th. Shoot me a text for direction. 480.352.0833