Spokane, WA - Game On relocating, fight nights temporarily cancelled

Comments

• LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,903
    Awesome!! Sounds like it should be another good tourney!! @ Gimpy....what weekend later in Jan would work best for you? We are also going to try and put one in the beginning of Jan also so LoyalSol may be able to attend! We miss the ass whoopins from Loyal and hope things are going good down there for you.

I'll make sure to bring some. I played against players who can kick my ass the last few months so I have been trying to level up.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane Valley, WA Joined: Posts: 250
    What time is the tournament tomorrow again?
    XBL: HousOfPaincakes
  • GameOnSpokaneGameOnSpokane GameOn Joined: Posts: 92
    Marvel will start at 3pm followed by SSFIV.
    Congratz to this months tourney winners.

SSFIV:
    Old Bean - 1st
    Crumbs - 2nd
    EazGG - 3rd

UMvC3:
    Hootington - 1st
    Chexican - 2nd
    Derek - 3rd
  • Gimpyfish62Gimpyfish62 Master of Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,820
    YEAAAAHHHH OLD BEAN WUTWUT

who are the top 3 teams for marvel who do they play?
    "He's the Tony Stark of Captain America." ~Bokkin
    I used Firebrand/Spencer/Doom but I'm having trouble remembering who Chexican and Hootington used. I think Chex was Magneto/Vergil/Doom and Hootington had Ghost Rider/Sentinel/???.
  • Gimpyfish62Gimpyfish62 Master of Bowser Joined: Posts: 1,820
    Firebrand is so cool lol
    "He's the Tony Stark of Captain America." ~Bokkin
    Firebrand is so cool lol

I love him to death but man, it hurts just being able to barely break 500k in a combo. I've never been much of a reset/unblockable setup kind of guy which seems to be the way to maximize his potential.
  • kingofpho75kingofpho75 Joined: Posts: 26
    holy crap this whole time i've been wondering if spokane had a scene and i finally found it.
    heck yeah we do. It is not a huge scene but we are growing it. You should come down and check out Fight Night at GAME ON on Thursday nights. Just a fun night of casuals and get to know new people. It is every Thursday night from 6pm till Midnight. Just $5 per night or $10 covers the full month of Thursday nights.
    Not to mention we do tournaments about once a month. Hope to see you next week!
    You guys better be ready to show up on Thursday. Santa is in town and he is ready for some street fighting. :)
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • jetman81jetman81 Joined: Posts: 183
    I think I just saw a tumbleweed roll by. Immediately after, it was buried in six inches of snow.
    Haha. Where you been? Our Facebook page is a little more active than this thread.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213457255341791/

Mike - weren't we looking at doing a tournament this month? I thought the original plan was to do one while Troy was in town but obviously that didn't happen.
  • G2crashG2crash Joined: Posts: 11
    I'm moving in that direction in a few weeks. I'll probably stop by soon and introduce myself., I'm a ssf4 player mostly. Nice to know I'll still have a thursday night game night. Looking forward to it guys. LoyalSol, akuma player?
    Hey man, looking forward to meeting you. You coming to Spokane for school? Work? Participation seems to have been dropping lately so it will be nice to see a new face. We have a handful of players for SSF4, UMvC3, and KoF13.

LoyalSol is indeed an Akuma player but he's in Louisiana for school right now. Every once in a while he comes home to give us a good thrashing though.
  • G2crashG2crash Joined: Posts: 11
    haha, I've played mirror matches with him online before since like vanilla sf4 days, so I've just always recognized his name on the leaderboards. I'll be heading over for work, I'll be a personal trainer manager at a snap fitness. I main Sf4, that's all I really play. I'm mediocre I mainly play for fun, I've been a fan all my life.
    Sorry we have been so quiet around here lately. There have been a few changes down here at the shop since I am working out of town. We are having another tournament on 2/18/12. Lets try to get the word out as fast as possible. http://www.facebook.com/events/290580307663657/
    We've been losing lots of people to school and work lately, but tournament season is fast approaching, so it's time to get back in practice. Thursday Night Fight Club tonight! Let's get it rolling big time again.
    Alright, guys, tournament season is here. Time to dust off the old stick and show yourself off!

SATURDAY!!! We haven't set the games we're playing in stone yet, so early registrants get to cast their vote. UMvC, SoulCal, KoF?

http://www.facebook.com/events/290580307663657/
    Very cool. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3D04B1BF8436FBBC For those of you who missed the tournament, here's some of the big matches. Didn't do as well as you would have liked? Come join fight club and play with the best every Thursday.
    Wow, looking back at my Marvel play from the tournament on 12/3....that was bad.
    Very cool. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3D04B1BF8436FBBC For those of you who missed the tournament, here's some of the big matches. Didn't do as well as you would have liked? Come join fight club and play with the best every Thursday.

Nice footage! Didn't know you guys had a capture setup. What were the Marvel results?
    I believe (but am not certain) the top four were:
    1. Mr. Dr.
    2. Hootington
    3. Chexican
    4. Derek (poor me, just outside of payout placing!)

We just did a round robin tournament for Marvel due to the small amount of participants. The Palouse guys who typically come down for the tournaments do the streaming and recording.

Where were you by the way? I thought you said you were going to come by but maybe I'm making that up.
    Ah, I take it that Ronnie didn't show up then. He usually wins those things. It's too bad there wasn't a higher turnout. I wanted to be there but a variety of factors ended up keeping me away, one of which was that I still didn't have my own 360 stick and didn't really want to have to ask to borrow someone else's for a tournament. I should be there for the next one!
    Derek, you were super close. The top 4 guys were all 1 point away from each other. That was a really intense battle.

No Ronnie, but the turnout wasn't bad. 1st place in Marvel got $63 and 1st in SSFIV got $98. Not bad for a few hours' work.

Also, FIGHT CLUB TONIGHT. I want all you suckas to be here.
    LOL, I participated in an online Marvel tournament through NeoGAF and it dragged on for months and months and I ended up placing 4th, which of course was the highest placing that received no prizes. Talk about blue balls. We started a couple months after vanilla came out and barely finished before Ultimate was released!

Anyway, I plan on coming to the next local tourney with my new stick and hopefully a bit more offline experience under my belt. And I should be there tonight, I just hope somebody will play Marvel with me. Otherwise I'll have to talk someone into teaching me SFIV :P
    Heh, shouldn't be too hard to find someone to teach you SFIV. In fact, you should learn regardless!
  • jammo3kjammo3k Joined: Posts: 127
    Oh damn we need a bump. Who is hype for SFxT?
    Getting SFxT tonight. Anyone who wants to play it today, I'll have it by around 7, hopefully.
    I might not have my copy until tomorrow. So I may show up tonight and play some.
    First impressions after going through the tutorial and trying out 10 or so characters in trial mode (around 15 trials each):
    -The SF4 characters look so similar to their SF4 incarnations but play very different. I feel like I'm going to have to deliberately pick up some characters that aren't in SF4 so I don't screw myself over when switching games.
    -To make the above point difficult, the Tekken characters feel SO different (not that this is a bad thing though!). Wave-stepping is weird, especially trying to cancel normals into them. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pros develop the Tekken characters.
    -Combining links with chain combos feels a little goofy, and I keep expecting to be able to end a chain combo with a non-EX special and accidentally getting launcher instead. Probably a carry-over habit from UMvC3 thinking I can just ABC into special or whatever.
    -Soooo many mechanics to remember, all of which contain the word "cross" so I can't keep any of them straight.
    -Raven is the only Tekken character I tried that really clicked with me, probably because he has a relatively simple moveset (no stance changes, no wave-stepping) and "feels" more like a SF character. Plus he looks pretty badass.
    -Color customization is a joke. I only looked at Raven but it seemed like almost every attribute had 4 colors: white, black, slightly different white, slightly different black. I look forward to being nickle and dimed for more colors.
    Still a fun game though, I just need to pick a couple new characters and really focus on them. Right now there are so many unfamiliar characters that I don't know what to do.
    First fight club with Street Fight x Tekken tonight!

If you have a copy, I'd recommend you bring it. And, seriously, does anyone have a 4-port usb splitter/hub they can bring with? 2v2 would be awesome with 4 players.
    I don't have one yet but I am gonna order one online.
    I might have my old Rock Band one lying around...

I don't think I can make this this week though, so you guys are on your own for Thursday.
    That 4-player SFxT action is incredibly intense. We're gonna try to get it set up for the tournament this weekend, too, if we can get some USB hubs..

This ought to be interesting.
    http://www.facebook.com/events/249019128518524/
    Scratch that, tournament moved. We don't want to conflict with another local tournament coming up. We'll be moving the event to 3/31. Hope to see you guys there!
    Updated the OP with relevant tournament info!
    Going out right now to pick up a USB hub. 4 player sfxt inbound.
    Updated the OP (and bumping this thread) with your unfortunate news...
    So just for anyone on this thread that might not know or is looking for an update. As you may or may not know Game On was burgularized last week and we lost everything needed to make our business run. Fortunately the D'bags were caught and we are getting some of our equiptment back. We will still have to replace alot of stuff but we are in the process of doing so right now. I have posted updates on our FaceBook page and we are looking for feedback on the thoughts of re-opening in a Valley Mall location. I know there are a couple downsides to a mall location but I think the benefits will far outwiegh the few downsides. Please leave feedback either on here or our Facebook page to let us know your thoughts. We want to thank everyone again for your support through these bad times and hopefully we will come back better and stronger.
    Thanks for the update!

I imagine the lease will be a bit more than where you guys were at before which would mean higher prices for us (not that you were charging a lot before...seriously, I doubt you were making any money off us), but you should get a lot more exposure at the mall than hidden behind Pawn One..

Also, I can swing by the food court and score some great food, haha.

Oh, just saw your Facebook post. That's nice you negotiated the lease down.
    It looks like Game On will probably not be re-opening, since apparently insurance is not covering the stolen items. Is that it for the Spokane scene? I feel like we've been knocked out, and I'm watching those numbers count down next to my character's bloody portrait...
  • N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 682
    What is the point of insurance if it doesn't help with this? Sad. There is always meetings at people's houses I guess. Or perhaps at somewhere like SFCC.
    Well, there is Spoklash coming up which should be a decent-sized tournament. But it also looks like there will be some competition at the upcoming Spokane Comicon (May 19th). They're running Brawl and AE, but if they get enough feedback about it, it looks like they could do Marvel as well. Any Marvel players willing to come out for that?
  • N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 682
    It's really more of a matter of school for me. If I happen to not be swamped I may show up. If you're looking to practice some marvel I can do some sessions with like maybe a couple of people (small apartment). I'm on the south hill.
    I know Jammo3k and I believe House of Paincakes have expressed interest in getting together at somebody's house but it hasn't happened yet. I'm definitely down for it.
  • qoqonutsqoqonuts New Member Joined: Posts: 487
    How's Spoklash been in the past? Bigger turnout than the GameOn events?
    How's Spoklash been in the past? Bigger turnout than the GameOn events?

It was a fairly good turn out last year.
    I know Jammo3k and I believe House of Paincakes have expressed interest in getting together at somebody's house but it hasn't happened yet. I'm definitely down for it.

Yeah, Ben was offering to host some people but I don't think he ever actually did host. My wife and I just had a baby a few weeks ago so my social life is kind of in a weird spot right now. Eventually I could probably host again as well.