"Work on your movements, Chap! Dudley Critique Thread

Comments

• Fore God ViiFore God Vii Level 2 Member Joined: Posts: 475
    upload a match of someone better than you, or of equal skill that you dont play regularly.

no point in playing the same person all the time *looks at smileymike*

i will soon as i get better, and i will try to complete your challenges
    XBL: CaptainxClas A.K.A ITSHiCLASYO, Fore God VII
    PSN: ItsHiClasYo Youtube: www.youtube.com/CapTnClas
    PK Salt
    what happened to 3s.
    PK Salt
  • MrMoodyPantsMrMoodyPants Everyones poop smells, we all have insecurities Joined: Posts: 283
    Hello, I found a video of me randomly on youtube where I get massacred by a Guile. I was wondering if people could help critique me since I lose, which means I'm doing something wrong. I found 3 things I did wrong:

After I did a forward throw in the first round I should have went for a safe jump after empty duck mk to bait that flash kick, I missed a meaty overhead and got grabbed out of it for it, and from that grab got baited for a wake up ultra. Thought I could have punished the sonic boom =/

Please give me some feed. I can do without the condescending advice I know some people like to give to others. I just want to know what I did wrong and what I can do tilt the MU in my favor a bit more. I tried to play a patient game because I remember people saying to be patient because sonic boom chip is not much. I lost a little bit of patience in the second round and tried to random thunderbolt a sonic boom which failed =/ Thanks in advance

Game: SSF4AEv2012
    Main: Dudley
    XBL GT: MrMoodyPants
  • noenoe Joined: Posts: 9
    Ultra 1 should be used in this match up, and you let his sonic boom control the spacing to much
  • ThirtyfourThirtyfour Wait Joined: Posts: 3,805
    Ultra 1 should be used in this match up, and you let his sonic boom control the spacing to much

Nah, both ultras are viable.
    I prefer Ultra 2
    I might make a 1 minute video on this match up

Mistakes you made Moody are:
    1. no footsies what so ever, you kept eating guile's backfish and s.HP
    2. tried to punish a well known meaty sonic boom set up with ultra 2
    3. using Oki 1 instead of Oki 2
    4. dropping hit confirms for tick grabs is a sign of a beginner especially without lead level 0
    5. punishing with raw ultra 2 is shit. Raw Ultra 2 (half bar) 304 damage vs f.MK s.HK xx HP Jet Upper 308 damage vs f.MK s.HK xx LP Jet Upper > Ultra 2 (half bar) 414 damage
    Go to training mode and practice hit confirms and Ultra 2 combos.
    Stop playing online all the time, you will only keep doing what you've practiced in training mode.

Go practice, I'm not going to make the Guile video because it'll be useless without hit confirms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvsCnWO9Qw
    SSF4: AE v.2012 Dudley Video Tutorial
  • MrMoodyPantsMrMoodyPants Everyones poop smells, we all have insecurities Joined: Posts: 283
    Nah, both ultras are viable.
    I prefer Ultra 2
    I might make a 1 minute video on this match up

Mistakes you made Moody are:
    1. no footsies what so ever, you kept eating guile's backfish and s.HP
    2. tried to punish a well known meaty sonic boom set up with ultra 2
    3. using Oki 1 instead of Oki 2
    4. dropping hit confirms for tick grabs is a sign of a beginner especially without lead level 0
    5. punishing with raw ultra 2 is shit. Raw Ultra 2 (half bar) 304 damage vs f.MK s.HK xx HP Jet Upper 308 damage vs f.MK s.HK xx LP Jet Upper > Ultra 2 (half bar) 414 damage
    Go to training mode and practice hit confirms and Ultra 2 combos.

Stop playing online all the time, you will only keep doing what you've practiced in training mode.

Go practice, I'm not going to make the Guile video because it'll be useless without hit confirms

Ok thanks a lot thirtyfour.

1. What should I do then to space myself against his back fist and s.HP. Like ok I have my spacing, there is a sonic boom coming, if i duck or focus I eat HP/Back fist, and if I jump I get AA.
    2. I had no idea that was a well known meaty setup =/
    3. Will do
    4. I do know hit confirms but ya sometimes I lose confidence and assume he blocked. Those missed hit confirms are usually cause I did not expect to be hitting him, and I went for the muscle memory tick throw. I will practice in training and put the dummy on random block, unless there is a better way of practicing it that you know of.
    5. Ok got it I will use those as the go to punish combos

Ya I will spend more time in training, I just lose patience and get bored quickly in there. I remember you making a whole bunch of challenges for us to do. If its not too much trouble, do you think you can link me to them? I will record me doing them and post it as appreciation for your help. Plus it will make me better anyways.

Umm that whole Guile video, did I just ruin it for the community? T-T
    1. What should I do then to space myself against his back fist and s.HP. Like ok I have my spacing, there is a sonic boom coming, if i duck or focus I eat HP/Back fist, and if I jump I get AA.
    2. I had no idea that was a well known meaty setup =/
    3. Will do
    4. I do know hit confirms but ya sometimes I lose confidence and assume he blocked. Those missed hit confirms are usually cause I did not expect to be hitting him, and I went for the muscle memory tick throw. I will practice in training and put the dummy on random block, unless there is a better way of practicing it that you know of.
    5. Ok got it I will use those as the go to punish combos

Ya I will spend more time in training, I just lose patience and get bored quickly in there. I remember you making a whole bunch of challenges for us to do. If its not too much trouble, do you think you can link me to them? I will record me doing them and post it as appreciation for your help. Plus it will make me better anyways.

Umm that whole Guile video, did I just ruin it for the community? T-T
    • Match takes place inside of Guile's backfist range. That's right outside of his c.MK range
    • Knowing other character's meaty set ups, safe jumps, and mix ups are key to becoming a better player.
    • Just incase, Oki 2 is the jumping Oki.
    • Hit confirms combos are hit confirms. Hit confirm either into s.HK or HP Jet Upper from jabs. Tick throws shouldnt be your go to option if you cant confirm.
    • Watch the entire vid again
    • Losing patience in training mode? You'll be losing more patience in matches when you cant get a clean hit or create an opportunity for a possible hit/mixup. (for the challenges, click the link in my sig, start from level 1) Also dont do like most people did and do attempt them vs some 0-999 pp player. I can do these on random 4k pp players, so at least do 1kpp +
    • Nah wait for tut
  • dull-eyed-jackdull-eyed-jack rant-in_Eminor Joined: Posts: 47

I'd really appreciate some harsh feedback on my game play. YGT24 is one of the great Dudley players I've brawled with along with a his Seth and Evil Ryu and It's time I start stepping up my game. Many mistakes were made on my end (too many to mentioned) so I am open for some positive criticism. Thanks in advance.

by the way, I start on min 7.18 or so and its 2 matches
    stuff n junk

change color
    for punish combos ALWAYS add a knockdown.
    ALWAYS Seth can be hit by f.MK s.MP s.HK xx MP Jet Upper
    I don't know why that comment was so funny when I read it haha.
    PK Salt
    change color
    for punish combos ALWAYS add a knockdown.
    ALWAYS Seth can be hit by f.MK s.MP s.HK xx MP Jet Upper

good advice, I'll work on the punish combos. Anything else would be greatly appreciated! thanks man, I am big fan of your tuts.
    good advice, I'll work on the punish combos. Anything else would be greatly appreciated! thanks man, I am big fan of your tuts.
    1. Absolutely no idea why you're doing duck upper FADC jab in punish combos. It is completely useless, Duck Upper FADC is only good in fireball punish combos and buffered MP knockdown combos.
    2. Wake up Super? wtf is that
    3. lv 3 focus vs seth on his wake up?
    didnt watch past round 4.
    Watch tut , learn hit confirms into s.HK or hP jet upper (link into it like ken from jab), anti airs, and pokes (you're playing like Marn), and Ultra 2 combo EX MGB > walk up U2 midscreen.

If next video doesnt have one of the above im not watchin no moe.
    1. Absolutely no idea why you're doing duck upper FADC jab in punish combos. It is completely useless, Duck Upper FADC is only good in fireball punish combos and buffered MP knockdown combos.
    2. Wake up Super? wtf is that
    3. lv 3 focus vs seth on his wake up?
    didnt watch past round 4.
    Watch tut , learn hit confirms into s.HK or hP jet upper (link into it like ken from jab), anti airs, and pokes (you're playing like Marn), and Ultra 2 combo EX MGB > walk up U2 midscreen.

If next video doesnt have one of the above im not watchin no moe.

oh man, although i feel a bit embarrassed by some of the "truths" you stated, i am glad to finally get some feedback from someone who knows what they are talking about. Now that you mentioned it, why would i lv 3 focus on a wake up? as for playing like Marn, i see what you mean and i've been told to tone it down and not be fancy (at least it looks good if it works, unlike in these matches). alrighty, i got lots to work on. i appreciate it your advice sir!
  • PainKillerDCXVIPainKillerDCXVI Pulling the Strings. Joined: Posts: 236

I'd really appreciate some harsh feedback on my game play. YGT24 is one of the great Dudley players I've brawled with along with a his Seth and Evil Ryu and It's time I start stepping up my game. Many mistakes were made on my end (too many to mentioned) so I am open for some positive criticism. Thanks in advance.

by the way, I start on min 7.18 or so and its 2 matches
    It's seth man, you never captalized combos, plus you let him get away more than you should trough his wakeup, if you are that scared of wakeup uppercuts go for mk ssb at least, you bait, you win, you hit a low or high, you are one step of winning.

Work on your execution, like I always say, on focus go for c.hp s.hk > ex mgb or f.mk s.mp s.hk > mp ju for no bar knockdown, punish with the second one, f.mk helps with the positioning.

Everything you do go for knockdowns, that is one of the secrets of playing Dudley

Stop letting lvl 3 focus rock lol

There is more, but work a little while on the basic, you should have read his tick spds too with neutral jump, just so he knows it's not free, you have to go for f.mk s.hk because it's a little far but it's 50% plus make he think thrice about it.
    It's seth man, you never captalized combos, plus you let him get away more than you should trough his wakeup, if you are that scared of wakeup uppercuts go for mk ssb at least, you bait, you win, you hit a low or high, you are one step of winning.

Work on your execution, like I always say, on focus go for c.hp s.hk > ex mgb or f.mk s.mp s.hk > mp ju for no bar knockdown, punish with the second one, f.mk helps with the positioning.

Everything you do go for knockdowns, that is one of the secrets of playing Dudley

Stop letting lvl 3 focus rock lol

There is more, but work a little while on the basic, you should have read his tick spds too with neutral jump, just so he knows it's not free, you have to go for f.mk s.hk because it's a little far but it's 50% plus make he think thrice about it.

man, i saw the matches again after reading the feedback and i am noticing exactly what you and 34 meant. i never thought that ending a combo with a knockdown is so crucial. i am sure this is due to my fear of reversals for i've eaten dps, ultras, and thrown out of my SSB on a daily basis. another thing that irritates me is neutral jumps. not only am i "free", i actually duck into them!!! i am convinced that i havent had the right mind-set for Dudley, but i can already see things a bit clear. thanks man!
    t

work on level 1 stuff and 1-2 punish combos into HP jet upper
    after you git better I'll let u's know more stuff n junk ect. ect.
    stop worryin bout datseth match
    its done and done alrdy
    just remember if you aren't learning when you play, win or lose, you're losing

http://www.youtube.com/user/valueblock#grid/user/C6D534D6F0F48767

wait for tut
    man, i saw the matches again after reading the feedback and i am noticing exactly what you and 34 meant. i never thought that ending a combo with a knockdown is so crucial. i am sure this is due to my fear of reversals for i've eaten dps, ultras, and thrown out of my SSB on a daily basis. another thing that irritates me is neutral jumps. not only am i "free", i actually duck into them!!! i am convinced that i havent had the right mind-set for Dudley, but i can already see things a bit clear. thanks man!

Dudley has 1050 hp, for him, that stamina is for you to say whatever when you eat a wakeup dp, than there is his absurd punish damage, block and return 400 damage (you can even bait "safe" fadc uppercuts on block by walking back, he is quite fast)

If they throw you out of ssb you doing it wrong or I bet they spam jab on blockstrings and jumpin > sweep too, don't play against these players.

Something you can't do against Dudley is form a habit on wakeup, we got an answer for everything, and all hurts and setup for more, you have to mix people up and adapt to what they do after, focus backdashers, ex chickenwingers, Vipers that never block on wakeup, guile/sagat/xxx with two bars that will upfadc no matter what, these are particularly free, you should be scared about good players that will actually try and block your 50/50 and backdash/unsafestuff when you least expect forcing you to guess way more.

No problem, that is why I'm here lol.
    too much stuff

stop pls he barely knows how to play the game jest let him practice with level 1 stuff
    he aint ready for Oki/blockstrings/blockstrings yet
    also wait for tut "you"
    true, i grew up with Sf2, played Dudley in Sf3 a few times, never played SF4 until SSF4 came out and only because it has Dudley. there is alot of info out there on his oki...etc. and i got waaaay too ahead of myself with the fadcs and whatnot. but i am glad i got great help here. i am on level 1 as we speak and i sticking to it until lv3 focus on wake up is not an option...lol thanks fellas.
  • BradicalBradical Joined: Posts: 57
    I know this is a really stupid question and all that, but how do I upload replays?
  • FloorFloor presses buttons Joined: Posts: 503
    I know this is a really stupid question and all that, but how do I upload replays?
    Not really that stupid. If you are talking about 3S, that game has the option to directly upload replays to YouTube. Overall you are better off using a capture card or device (like a PVR) ie Hauppauge, to record your replays in high quality. Tech Talk is the better place to ask this sort of question though. You will find the answers to most of your questions there anyway, so there shouldn't be a need to ask if you look around a bit over there.
    "Yo how does it feel to press 7 million buttons, and he beat you with 5?"
  • BradicalBradical Joined: Posts: 57
    I was talking about AE, trying to get some feedback on my lackluster C grade Dudley, but I'll look around on Tech Talk, thanks!
  • 2BAD4U2BAD4U Joined: Posts: 259
    I figure I'll add my own low-tier play:
    And I'll add one where I do horribly:

Against cr.hk happy Guiles, you have to FA the 2nd hit dash forward punish combo or at least FA hit, backdash.
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    Me getting bodied in a FT10 by my friend.

couple of things I've noticed (we made some more salty run back games afterward)

- Use more hcb+mk
    - Anti air MUCH more with s.mk from close range.
    - Better anti backdash OS (I mainly use the ultra 2 os, and messed it up a lot).
    - FINISH MY PLATE (don't drop links/combo)
    - Be less free.

Btw, we recorded it after i haven't played for about month or more (UMVC3 and SFxT stuff...), but beside some technical issues, this is more or less my play.
    I will try to capture some more and upload, I'm sure you can't wait for more :sweat:

Me getting bodied in a FT10 by my friend.
    couple of things I've noticed (we made some more salty run back games afterward)

All you did was:
    jump HK (which got anti aird)
    Back dash when you could s.HK punish (like guy's 2hit running overhead
    random midscreen short swing blow (what the hell is this?)
    walk back and forward pressing f.HK and s.LK

LMAO REVERSAL BLOCKED EX MGB > U2?!
    REVERSAL EX CROSSCOUNTER?

nope watch the tut.
    start off by doing things in their then develop your own playstyle.

Hope nobody actually watches the whole thing.
    It's the same thing all through out the video with no adapting.
    All I see was jumping, not even gonna say about the rest... assuming the second match was the same thing you got a long long way to go bro.
    All you did was:
    jump HK (which got anti aird)
    Back dash when you could s.HK punish (like guy's 2hit running overhead
    random midscreen short swing blow (what the hell is this?)

LMAO REVERSAL BLOCKED EX MGB > U2?!
    REVERSAL EX CROSSCOUNTER?

nope watch the tut.
    start off by doing things in their then develop your own playstyle.

Hope nobody actually watches the whole thing.
    It's the same thing all through out the video with no adapting.
    Thanks for actually watching the entire thing, or anyway, the parts you did saw :sweat:

I actually can't recall doing so, I don't even thing i use s.lk at all.

I actually watched the tut, and have recorded myself doing the some of the challenges on the PSN, but for some reason haven't uploaded it since then..

I'm heading for quite a big tournament in France, and although I'm not putting any hope in AE there (as I'm a bit less worse in BB/Marvel), I will sure to upload whatever i can get to film, stay tuned :rofl:
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,503
    Greeting, gentleman. I am a relatively new Dudley player seeking some critique on my matches.

Currently only have one video uploaded, though I'm hoping to have more uploaded soon.

Sorry about the quality; I recorded it with my 3DS camera.

After reviewing that vid, I can tell that I really need to get used to the spacing with st.hk. Hit-confirming into it is awkward for me, since I'm so used to the really good range and easy hit-confirms of Cody. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I play more.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
  • TrgamemasTrgamemas The man of Faith Joined: Posts: 202
    I got a few replays Id like to get critique on but I need someone to record and upload for me (PSN) :/
    Anybody willing to help a playa out?
    AKA Loopie_SRK
    All I play is Dudley, deal with it
    (⌐■_■)
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • MrAnnualMrAnnual Joined: Posts: 635
    If you're on tomorrow morning, I'll see what I can do for you.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    SFA2 - Rolento, Sodom, Chun-Li
    If you're on tomorrow morning, I'll see what I can do for you.
    About what time my boy?
    Preciate it again bro
    AKA Loopie_SRK
    (⌐■_■)
    Take into account that losing videos are much better for critique then winning ones.
    Greeting, gentleman. I am a relatively new Dudley player seeking some critique on my matches.

Currently only have one video uploaded, though I'm hoping to have more uploaded soon.

Sorry about the quality; I recorded it with my 3DS camera.

After reviewing that vid, I can tell that I really need to get used to the spacing with st.hk. Hit-confirming into it is awkward for me, since I'm so used to the really good range and easy hit-confirms of Cody. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I play more.

You should really work on you combos, watch the tut.
    Wakeup dp might get you killed with Dudley, it has no invincibility.
    Don't confirm c.lp into s.lp as you see, it whiff a lot. watch the tut.
    great use of ssb keep that good work
    About what time my boy?
    Preciate it again bro
    Sorry, man. Something came up can't do it this morning. I can probably get to you later today, tomorrow morning at the very latest. If I l see you on PSN, I'll hit you up.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,503
    Take into account that losing videos are much better for critique then winning ones.

Yes, this is true. I'll see about getting in more matches and uploading some more. The only issue is that a lot of my losing matches are me being completely bodied...
    You should really work on you combos, watch the tut.

Yeah, I think I need to work more on proper corner combos. I keep doing HP uppercut in the corner because it's impossible to drop in the corner, and I'm not 100% confident in my execution with Dudley yet. Still, I could have done Ultra off of the EX machine-gun blows at least for the extra damage...though on the first game, I thought that HP uppercut would kill him while giving me a bit extra meter for the next round.
    Wakeup dp might get you killed with Dudley, it has no invincibility.

Yeah, you're right. I'm also guessing that wake-up counter isn't something you want to throw out too often either. :sweat:
    Don't confirm c.lp into s.lp as you see, it whiff a lot. watch the tut.

I'm so used to doing that hit-confirm with Yang that I keep trying to do it with other characters. Some extra time in training mode should help with this issue.

Thanks for the critique. I will continue to practice and upload replays, and hopefully I will steadily improve.

And is it just me, or does Dudley seem like an anti-scrub character? Every player I've faced who's played like a scrub (bad Ryus and Kens, wake-up SPD happy Zangief's, terrible Dee Jays and Blankas), it's like Dudley flat-out counters them. Though, I'm not sure if it's Dudley or the fact that these people don't realize that kidney blow ( :f: + :mk:) is +3 on block. :lol:
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    About what time my boy?
    Preciate it again bro
    I'm on PSN as we speak, so hit me up and I'll record your replays.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    I'm on PSN as we speak, so hit me up and I'll record your replays.
    Sorry bro, I was at work. Got some stuff to take care of tonight, but i'll try to be on later.
    AKA Loopie_SRK
    (⌐■_■)
    Hello everyone, have another video I wish for you guys to critique. There are 3 matches. Please tell me what I did right and what I did wrong. Thank you in advance, especially to those that watched all 3 sets.

• XtreetracerXXtreetracerX Joined: Posts: 53
    ^ well I'm not very good so take my advice or not, but I think you played it well when the spacing was right and you user cr mp as a counter poke you didn't buffer mp mgb. Also if you confirm the jabs in the corner why not go for ex mgb juggle you would build some meter only use one bar. Maybe use more RH for counter pokes this guy liked pressing buttons. Lastly I think you should have used U1 take away some of his ground game options, make him pay for focusing in front of you os dash back punish all that jazz. But like I said I can't really give advice since I'm not up there yet. Props on the mix up game good use of cr mk
    ^ well I'm not very good so take my advice or not, but I think you played it well when the spacing was right and you user cr mp as a counter poke you didn't buffer mp mgb. Also if you confirm the jabs in the corner why not go for ex mgb juggle you would build some meter only use one bar. Maybe use more RH for counter pokes this guy liked pressing buttons. Lastly I think you should have used U1 take away some of his ground game options, make him pay for focusing in front of you os dash back punish all that jazz. But like I said I can't really give advice since I'm not up there yet. Props on the mix up game good use of cr mk

who is this
  • XtreetracerXXtreetracerX Joined: Posts: 53
    Just your friendly neighborhood scrubly, you might recognize me from a comment or two an a youtube video of you and mellow awhile back