"Work on your movements, Chap! Dudley Critique Thread

Comments

• MafamaticksMafamaticks Where'd ya life go? Joined: Posts: 779
    Tick throws?
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381

Some offline casual of my scrubby Dudley (as well as the other players).
    In the video page you can see the time for each match-up.

I would even appreciate Mellow calling me worst Dudley europe or something.
  • TurivolTurivol Joined: Posts: 12

Hey guys, what you guys think about that matchs? I would like to hear some tips on what work on.
    Fist, get into habit of uploading videos you feel you played well but still lost instead of your wins.
    Second, Tut.

- I would say your blockstrings are weak, but you don't really have those.
    - Can't tell much about how you move around (i.e. footsies) but something felt wrong.
    - Links, combos, etc..
    - Sim should have zoned you more with his limbs, and it probably would have stuffed all you reckless mgb and jumps. (cr.mk is a good idea though)

I'm just scrub so don't listen to me.

tut
  • TurivolTurivol Joined: Posts: 12
    Thanks for your reply!
    Well, about my blockstrings that was due to some laggy, especially with DJ. But you're right, i have to work on this. About footsies i think i rely on f.hp / st.hp and focus too much, its hard to use cr.mk and cr.mp cause of its low reach.And yeah, my link are not reliable yet, i missed too much. Also missed some mgb inputs on the Sim one.

(sorry about my bad english and thanks for the advices!)
  • ThirtyfourThirtyfour Wait Joined: Posts: 3,805
    learn what you can punish.
    you backdash when someone lands a move that's more than -5 on block, could at least do a HP Jet Upper if you cant s.HK punish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvsCnWO9Qw
    SSF4: AE v.2012 Dudley Video Tutorial
  • MrTeaCupGLovesMrTeaCupGLoves Waiting Joined: Posts: 159
    Turivol- Simply put, you have zero pressure. Work on block strings, punishes, and the right combos. Don't always go for sweep, work on your oki. Also study TUT again
    XBL: KoukiMonstrr
    PSN: KoukiMonstr
    http://m.youtube.com/user/KOUKImonstr
  • Sassy FannypackSassy Fannypack Joined: Posts: 129
    I seem to suffer from a lot of the same issues as Turivol.

Things I recognize:
    -No overheads on Oki
    -poor focus attack usage
    -no safe jumps (I don't really know any setups)
    -input error on ultra at end of round 1(not exactly sure if it would've AA'd but saw the setup coming)
    -backed off on Oki (living in the 1000-2000pp ghetto where players use invincible reversals 70% of the time on wake up got me scurred)
    -non stop jumping

I honestly have terrible matchup knowledge and my attitude/playstyle makes it really hard to play against defensive characters/players.
    PLZ HELP.
  • heyoka-shepheyoka-shep Joined: Posts: 2

This video is helpful, there a couple things that I wondered about with the cody dudley match up. I'll apply some of what I saw at Mind Games Ignition in January.

?ui=2&ik=db18ee0f6b&view=att&th=13b42d78afebf428&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_ha1a51ht0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_mRFcPcEUPJo669OWkB09B&sadet=1354566455863&sads=vFMlVLsYCGuypjHoVklExXbA_t0
  • MafamaticksMafamaticks Where'd ya life go? Joined: Posts: 779
    This video is helpful, there a couple things that I wondered about with the cody dudley match up. I'll apply some of what I saw at Mind Games Ignition in January.

If by helpful you mean it helps you by showing you what NOT to do, then yeah.

Besides all of the shit that both Cody and Dudley were doing wrong, this vid is 2 years old. Meaning the little (if any) stuff you think you can use in the Cody matchup probably doesn't apply in AE.
  • xenon2012xenon2012 Joined: Posts: 112
    Thanks for your reply!
    Well, about my blockstrings that was due to some laggy, especially with DJ. But you're right, i have to work on this. About footsies i think i rely on f.hp / st.hp and focus too much, its hard to use cr.mk and cr.mp cause of its low reach.And yeah, my link are not reliable yet, i missed too much. Also missed some mgb inputs on the Sim one.

(sorry about my bad english and thanks for the advices!)

You suffer from similar problems as I do. But from watching other good Dudley players, besides working on combos, I think that you need to mix up using more throws in our arsenal. When I mean is if you are not great combo master maybe throw your opponent once in a while instead of going for the complete combo and missing.
    I would like to add this to my play.
  • arkiarki Joined: Posts: 2

sorry about the music on the lastvideo, just mute
    Do your worst

What I suspect:
    ionlyyyy upload videos when u losee because thats way better, but dont listen to me im a scrubb
    tut.
    OMG SO MUCH BP U SUCK
    FOOTSIES
    PRESSUUREEE
    tut.
  • TheRhythmDivineTheRhythmDivine Joined: Posts: 6
    I can't give critique, but I do know that it's sort of pointless to upload videos you win in. Much more can be gained from losing replays because well, you know... you lose. Swallow your pride and upload some of those!
  • MrMoodyPantsMrMoodyPants Everyones poop smells, we all have insecurities Joined: Posts: 283
    upload your losses. What are people supposed to say if you win? Even if we don't agree with what you did in order to win. If you win then who are we to say, you did this and its wrong. If it worked then it wasn't dumb. Everything you did, good or bad gave you the V. I don't care if you do random ultra to win. If you win, it was the right choice for the situation. Of course if you fail usually feel deep shame and face palm while turning red in embarrassment as you watch your character locked in some cool ultra animation while your opponent just blocks and max punishes you for your insolence....

If you upload losses then the nice good unpredictable sweet caring soft spoken gentle people on this board who know Dudley in and out can tell you what you need to improve on to help you win.

Edit: One thing I can say from experience and from watching your vid is do not punish with jab, jab, into w.e. I don't know if the connection was bad and you were just trying to be safe with your hit confirm, but learn your punish combos. When you see a whiffed/blocked srk, it should be programmed in your brain to max punish! And no f.hk into jab jab st.hk! its been said so many times on here so I am just reciting. learn to hit confirm earlier f.hk>st.hk xx.
    Game: SSF4AEv2012
    Main: Dudley
    XBL GT: MrMoodyPants
  • Donald DuckDonald Duck Joined: Posts: 377
    I can't give critique, but I do know that it's sort of pointless to upload videos you win in. Much more can be gained from losing replays because well, you know... you lose. Swallow your pride and upload some of those!

Is that Dudley lying down on a pillow.
    CORKSCREWWWW! Crouuuh........ZzzZZZzZZZZZzZZ
  • TheRhythmDivineTheRhythmDivine Joined: Posts: 6
    Why yes he is! A friend made a signature for me, but I can't use it fully on this forum!

PlNL5.png
  • XtreetracerXXtreetracerX Joined: Posts: 53

sorry about the music on the lastvideo, just mute
    Do your worst

What I suspect:
    ionlyyyy upload videos when u losee because thats way better, but dont listen to me im a scrubb
    tut.
    OMG SO MUCH BP U SUCK
    FOOTSIES
    PRESSUUREEE
    tut.
    Lets see.....
    Akuma should not be allowed to throw fire balls when he is within range. Any teleport is a free ex mgb
    Hit comfirms, no good reason ryu was hit with three crouch jabs and nothing else
    Punish Combos
    Max damage punish combos....
    jump less
  • heyoka-shepheyoka-shep Joined: Posts: 2
    Thanks for setting this up, I had a dream my dudley had improved extremely. I'm pretty sure if I keep training and checking these vids I can pick up a few things to get where I want to be.

MINDGAMES-26-signature
    At some point, any player has to face a decision, ether he's gonna improve his play, or try to improve the show.

Therefore, I present to you, my new HD capture card!!

Some notes :
    - My friend claimed he wasn't at his best, but w/e
    - I can't connect duck straight consistently after ex mgp on Bison even for my life.
    - I'm not proud on the hail marry ultras, but this match get the evil dudley within me.
    - I neutral jump a lot, as this Bison tends to get into mood which he will throw a lot of random scissors, I lose a lot of ground for blocking those. Still I should jump less, block some scissors, and try to predict it just once or twice in a match.
    - My overhead links were terrible, It gets better toward the end.
    - I gave him some free jumps, a bit hard for me to split my attention well, trying to overcome his annoying normal moves.
    - I don't think my pressure were at its best, I was trying to bait his ex psycho a lot, think I failed at that too.
    - On the same subject, should have probably went more with s.rh frame traps, as he adjusted his timing to the f.mk (worked like a charm before this set)

Clock it ticking, I will attend to FR this year (as part of bigger trip to the state), while I'm not expecting to get top something, I would very like to advance from the pool's phase.
    Probably should put my money on mahvel anyway :P
  • MeLLoWMeLLoW Joined: Posts: 1,843
    Why yes he is! A friend made a signature for me, but I can't use it fully on this forum!

PlNL5.png
    omg... I had a reason to log on to dudley forums today. All hail da riddim divin
  • DrooZDrooZ /)_-" faceeeeepalm... Joined: Posts: 55
    So I just got back from playing at the South Bay Qualifiers...and DAMN do I need work. I need any criticism I can get...whether it be BAD, Good, or WHATEVER. I already decided I was going to go back and watch tut all over again. The tourney jitters got to me and I messed up follow ups. I even missed EASY punishes :/ I know for a fact that I don't play this bad, but the tourney vibe totally got to me after taking time off of street fighter for so long. Well my matches start at "2:00:20" I went against a GREAT Hakan player from the area. I have two or three other matches consecutively after that. Then at "4:00:10" I have a match against "Nuubi" who is probably one of the best Gen's out there. I am open to ANY criticism. BASH me if you have to, I might need it. Thanks guys! Friendly advice won't hurt either :D

Btw they got my handle wrong <.< its "DROOZ"
    Here it is!
    "The ability to think is a gift only a few can use at its full potential. Common sense is not so common anymore either. ":nunchuck:

cant watch 480p on this pc360 or lower.
    started playing at like 10 fps 2nd round.
    from what i saw though, no anti airs, no ex duck upper, no c.MP buffer, no whiff punishing and no match up knowledge of hakan.
    Hakan has roll cancels out of focus backdash and backdash when oiled.
    no anti airs, no ex duck upper, no c.MP buffer, no whiff punishing and no match up knowledge of hakan.
    Hakan has roll cancels out of focus backdash and backdash when oiled.

Yeah you are 100% right, I was just re-watching the footage and that is frickin disappointing. But I got it! Thanks for the feedback. I have VERY little experience with Hakan, and that whole match was ALL habitual movement. I had no mind presence that entire match, if not the entire tournament. So you won't be able to review my other matches? I would love some feedback on those too. But thanks brotha!
    "The ability to think is a gift only a few can use at its full potential. Common sense is not so common anymore either. ":nunchuck:
    So you won't be able to review my other matches? I would love some feedback on those too. But thanks brotha!

If you can upload the matches to youtube I'll be able to watch.
    I have a 1.46 ghz single core processor 360p is my limit.(soontobe240p)
    Twitch has a way to upload straight to youtube accounts I believe.
    I did it once on PJS way back, I forgot how to do it.

I'll break down everything tho.
    If you can upload the matches to youtube...

I'll break down everything tho.

Alright I will try to figure out a way to do it. I will try to get it on here as soon as possible. I really want my habits as a player to be exposed, because I know there are things others can see that I obviously don't. I am one of the only Duds out here in NorCal, i don't want to be a bad example and representation of duds. I want to do him, tut, and the rest of these homies out here grinding it some justice.
    I feel like I've got shadowed by Mellow's replay -_-
  • MrMoodyPantsMrMoodyPants Everyones poop smells, we all have insecurities Joined: Posts: 283
    Finally found one of my matches at WNF. Its vs AndyOCR who is a great bison player. I need critique. I was really nervous as it was my first time on stream and only my second time in a tournament. Would be great to hear from mellow,thirtyfour, or chaotix. This match up is such a pain and I don't understand what I am to do in the corner when I am under scissor kick pressure. I tried to poke back but kept getting counter hit. If I jump out after scissor kick he either st.hk me and or AA cr.fp. It did trade a lot but I did not pay attention whether it was in my favor. Thunderbolt did come to mind......=/....... Thanks to anyone who helps me

• cHaotixcHaotix Keep it classy. Joined: Posts: 757
    This matchup blows bubblegum. Bisons can play as dumb as they want to and pretty much get away with it. This is one of those matches where you have to make the right reads all the time in order to get in, which usually entails doing something unsafe. It's like a constant rock paper scissors game where you have to analyze a whole bunch of data really fast in order to make a good read, where on there side it's nowhere near as complex.

Things you did wrong:
    - Didn't anti air once
    - Dropped combos that would have given you momentum
    - Continued trying to get up close when you had him in the corner with a good life lead

If you've got a good health lead on a bison in the corner, and you aren't on him at frame advantage, just focus on keeping him there. Don't worry about trying to mix him up, chip him with mgb's and look to punish any escape attempts. If they get desperate they'll burn their meter in an escape attempt that you can likely punish to take the round. You had him in the corner at one point and tried to get in but ended up getting counter hit in the process.

On the opposite side when you're in the corner, it's a shitty gamble. Holding up beats another scissor after a blocked one, but loses to RH or delayed walk forward RH. Stand RH xx MGB and focus attack can beat their RH if you time it right, but loses to scissors. Jab mgb will get you pressure if they block after the first scissor kick. Thunderbolt FADC can get you out of the corner if you want to spend the meter, but that's on you to decide if it's worth it. You have to understand what the player is looking for and choose the correct counter, and you're usually gonna have shitty odds.

You really have to understand what kind of bison you're fighting and adjust your offense to accommodate. There's usually two kinds: Those that mash crouchtech/low short when you're up close, and those that are walking back so they can whiff punish your throws/attempts at maintaining pressure. Andy was the second type. You kept trying to frame trap/get in when he wasn't taking the bait. If your initial 2 jabs are blocked you should have just gone for a sweep or a cr. rh to catch the walk back.

Honestly against a good Bison, you're going to have to take unsafe risks. level 1 focus > EX DP on hit or block to get the knockdown will get you the knockdown you need to at least start pressure. You have to stop them from pressing buttons and respect you. Yeah if they block they get a punish, but Bison doesn't hit that hard to begin with and you HAVE to take risks sometimes. Just don't go overboard with it.

Obviously, you need to know your punishes for his escape options, as well as the frame advantage on the different scissors and their FADC's.

I feel like I went more into how I view the matchup than really critiquing your match but I hope this helps. Andy OCR is a solid player and a character like Dudley isn't going to outplay a solid Bison. You have to make 'em scared. Put that fear into them.
  • MrAnnualMrAnnual Joined: Posts: 635
    Crouch strong, its like the only button Bison will ever have to respect from Dudley.  Try pressing it more.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    SFA2 - Rolento, Sodom, Chun-Li
    edited February 2013
    Thank you. That was very helpful. I hate the fact that it has to be a stupid guessing game in the corner with bison being safe for the most part. Ya I have definitely been practicing AAs. My footsies are horrible and still am trying t learn spacing.

When you said that he wasn't taking my frame trap bait, should I go into a grab to get him? That way he might want to crouch tech or at least push buttons when he thinks I'm gonna grab. 

Also I didn't really need a critique, I can tell in some areas what I did wrong. I just needed more MU knowledge. Plus showing the video allows you guys to see exactly where I am having trouble in the MU

Again Thank you =)

By the way for those of you who were curious, Mark Teddy's advice was that Andy was whiff punishing my normals. Didn't really help me on what to do =/ Alex was just trolling about the command dash lol 
    your first issue was not picking goth top hat dudley.

it was awesome seeing you do work on that first round. second match was hard to watch though, You could see the nerves and frustration bubblin its way up. 
  • SpokishSpokish Joined: Posts: 33
    Hi everyone,

I'm here for pieces of advice regarding my Dudley. Entered a tournament recently and got bodied right after the 1st brackets. Didn't expect to go far anyway, but as you'll see in the video I have no clue what to do, how to get in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuPmb_1JCY

In the last round i should have ultra'd right after the saving crumple, but i was actually really surprise and went for f.mk * hk instead.

So if you have any tips or comments for me, that'd be really appreciated.
    Spokish wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm here for pieces of advice regarding my Dudley. Entered a tournament recently and got bodied right after the 1st brackets. Didn't expect to go far anyway, but as you'll see in the video I have no clue what to do, how to get in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuPmb_1JCY

In the last round i should have ultra'd right after the saving crumple, but i was actually really surprise and went for f.mk * hk instead.

So if you have any tips or comments for me, that'd be really appreciated.

Eh, I think you made the right call after the focus. When I get a punish opportunity on an opponent that has a huge life lead, I usually go for a high damage/stun combo, since the mixup afterwards will usually stun them and win me the round if I guess right. Unless you're hitting them with a super sick setup after the ultra punish, you're likely going to have to mix them up 2 more times instead of just one. That's just me though.

In my opinion, Juri is a bad matchup for Dudley. Her ground game is really strong, and her keep away works really well unless you have meter or predict a fireball. Mid range you counter poked okay, but I would have gone for an ex duck mixup all those times she block st. rh. st. RH xx EX duck is +1 on block, so you typically get free pressure if they aren't mashing a reversal.

You missed a few anti airs and dropped a couple combos, Dudley can't really afford to miss those.

Can't wait until I go back to Japan, this video just reminded me of how fun arcade tournaments are there. When I was there Super had just come out consoles so I could only play Vanilla. :(
  • deepshockdeepshock Joined: Posts: 15
    edited March 2013
    1h 17m starts a match I was in against a Makoto that won in straight rounds. I know I messed up some punishes (and goofed up on a Jet Upper), and I know there's a thread FOR punishes and matchups against other characters so I won't ask about that part, but apart from that how can I work on my movements, chaps?
    Post edited by deepshock on
    Injustice- Green Lantern
    SSF4AE- Balrog

edited March 2013
    You're too scared of your opponent. Similar problem to me, but you take it a bit further haha. Especially against Makoto who can't really do anything when you swarm on top of her.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    yo deepshock, learn to press toward your opponent rather then letting them bully you to the corners and such (This has a lot to deal with your personal knowledge of footsies and spacing). Also, if you watch your footage...it was as if you had a finger GLUED onto the HP button. st.hp and f.hp are great tools! but, experiment with st.hk buffers... or try buttons like cr.mp, st.mp, or cr.mk. You need to distinguish space, or draw a line in the sand kind of. If they jump, you anti air...if they walk forward, you poke...if they press hella buttons, beat him with a normal...if they sit and block, grab em. ETC. Of course this takes a lot of TIME and EXPERIENCE. It will be a HUGE "?". You will understand it overtime, depending on how hard you train your brain to solve these problems. Draw that line in the sand, make them fear being in front of you before you make them fear you being in front of them...they will respect that line (your space) and you won't feel so smothered and suffocated.

BTW! When under pressure...JUST BLOCK. It is WAY MORE BENEFICIAL than you think. Make them work for that damage! You spoon fed him free damage when you were doing jet uppers all over the place and you paid the price. A lot of the top players here in NorCal like to say "TAKE A GRAB...it's A LOT less damage than a MAX DAMAGE COMBO."
  • GunmadGunmad Joined: Posts: 96
    Hey guys.
    Tell me what I must change in my game and give some advice on Honda matchup

6:09 Why didin't it work? I always thought any headbutt is free punish.
    Watched a set with Renegade vs Honda and saw that he often did F+MP > Counter Hit > Jet Upper. But for some reason I couldn't do it in a match (Spacing? Kara JU?)
  • deepshockdeepshock Joined: Posts: 15
    edited April 2013
    Gunmad wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    Tell me what I must change in my game and give some advice on Honda matchup

Watched a set with Renegade vs Honda and saw that he often did F+MP > Counter Hit > Jet Upper. But for some reason I couldn't do it in a match (Spacing? Kara JU?)

From what I see here, I think it was either the spacing or the punish being off by a frame or two.
    Injustice- Green Lantern
    SSF4AE- Balrog

edited April 2013
    Gunmad wrote: »

Your U1 punish wasn't reversal timing.
    SSFIV - Chun-Li, Dudley
    AH3 - Mei Fang
    ST - Chun-Li, Dee Jay
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, didn't it say reversal there? Gonna check..
    *Edit* Yeap, it wasn't. Damn.
    Post edited by Gunmad on
  • ThirtyfourThirtyfour Wait Joined: Posts: 3,805
    You can punish neutral jumps with ex duck on reaction. Straight if you react early. Upper if you're close enough other wise HP+back will make you whiff into a punish super/ultra ect.
    c.LKMP HP vshonda in the corner is gdlk. auto OS's c.HP to beat out buttslam and backdash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvsCnWO9Qw
    SSF4: AE v.2012 Dudley Video Tutorial
    Got it, thanks.
  • Kniv3sKniv3s Joined: Posts: 23
    Hi Guys! Here a FT3 with a good Honda player (i'm in trouble too, Gunmad xD) It was a bit laggy but legit! Any advice? Thanks a lot! :D
    If you think they are going to ex headbutt and you have ultra in a safe jump situation, just block and punish with ultra. If they don't have meter or you think they'll buttslam, OS mk duck into your jump in. You'll go under butt slam and get a free whiff punish.

Keep Honda out the air, punish neutral jumps with ex duck upper and use DP, Cross Counter, and St mk to keep him from jumping directly at you.

Yeah, this matchup is shitty.
  • mundaneymundaney Joined: Posts: 227
    edited June 2013
    Ok, so it's been a while since I've played this game, much less Dudley (Marriage=gg). Here's footage of a tournament I got 4th in. It was on 360 so I wasn't used to the 2 frame difference. For not having touched this game in months, I was pretty happy with my overall placement and performance. I am definitely going to the lab now that we have somewhat of a scene here where I live. Critique away!

1st match 43:40
    2nd match 57:20
    3rd match 1:20:40
    4th match 1:39:46

Link:
    twitch.tv/mundaney
  • CroXssCroXss Gentlemen Fighter Joined: Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Im asking for a few pointers please... i have 4 videos of this me playing this match up. Here is the first one others are coming up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0PWCZ5k9iZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Nj-79bq09fg
    Yo,
    So, I'm not too good at it, but let see..
    - You seems pretty good at anti airing (aa) at the start of the rounds, but seems to forget about it a little bit later on. Best case, Sakura get free pressure on you, worst case, she gets full painful combo (which what happened in some matches). It looked like you try to uppercut when the jump is obvious, that's good.

- Maybe it's just lack of match up experience, but try to block more against Sakura, which you actually started doing in the later matches. Throw doesn't hurt that much, and I'm not sure what kind of setups she has from those. On the other hand, her frame traps and throw baits hurt as hell, so unless you have great read about it, just block. Maybe try to consider backdashing more as a defensive tool (outside of your wakeup), still need to be careful as she will try safe hail marry ex tatsu. (so dumb)

- I feel you try to do stuff on wake up, can't say I'm too fond of this, try to block more, might help to see the other player's pattern.

- You punished block srk with s.rh ex mgb, maybe it's just online punishment, but you should really hurt her more when she does this. (f.mk s.mp s.rh I think)

- Something was weird about your footsies, can't put my hand on it.

- You should work on you execution a bit more, but great ex straight combo in the corner there!

- I feel you think to highly about Sakura's fireball game (and take ultra 1 for it?). Sakura's fb are quite bad, just block/focus some to get the feeling and slowly close the distance, if she starts charging them in your face, just jump on her (as you did toward the end).

That all I have i think, keep up with the good work!