S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ: The Official MvC3 FAQ thread

Comments

• FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    quick question. when you DHC it goes straight into the "flash" of the next super. does that mean it skips the pre-flash startup of the next super?
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • sean_741asean_741a Joined: Posts: 4
    Hi guys, Im having a hard time doing some combos like this . Is there a very useful tip or I just need to push the buttons fast? There is a move in the vid that goes like this
    01: c.L-c.M(2)-c.H-S, sj.M-M-H-d+H xx QCF+L, land, QCF+M(full charge) I want to know what (2) means and the xx means. Thanks in advcance I hope someone could help me so I could excel in this game. Please! Thank you
    (2) means you need to let that move do two hits before doing the next move.

xx means cancel. so you cancel the d+H into QCF+L by inputting them in quick succession.
  • sean_741asean_741a Joined: Posts: 4
    (2) means you need to let that move do two hits before doing the next move.

xx means cancel. so you cancel the d+H into QCF+L by inputting them in quick succession.

Thanks! This will be a great help.
  • azprocazproc ^ loves dem Jingle Bells Joined: Posts: 2,789
    Why do I get punished for punishing a block string? they were on negative frames
    As in attacking back when I blocked their L, L, M H

Depends what they decide to do after the H. Think about blockstun frames as well.
    Think about the range of your punish attack and the frames of this. Also they may have been mashing a :l: that may have better framedata than your own move.

Can't think of it like SF for the most part. Some :h: moves push you back far enough even if they have negative frames that you simply can't punish with some characters.
    Sometimes I open SRK and am forced to say: notto disu shitto agen
    I actually don't play Marvel.
    quick question. when you DHC it goes straight into the "flash" of the next super. does that mean it skips the pre-flash startup of the next super?
    anyone?
  • CauldrathCauldrath Joined: Posts: 617

Yes, this is why Storm hits so fast as a DHC.
    My blog where I try to break games: http://cauldrath.blogspot.com/
    My videos of me trying to break games: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cauldrath
    aight thanks.
  • BrahmaBrahma Get it on Joined: Posts: 514
    Speaking of super flash, I know you can input the command for your own hyper during the opponent's hyper flash and it will start immediately after their flash ends. Now, does this work the same way if you were in the middle of an attack? i.e. can you cancel your attacks with a hyper during the opponents freeze animation? How about dashes?
    Ready, steady, deadly...
  • SlayersliceSlayerslice Joined: Posts: 1,665
    Speaking of super flash, I know you can input the command for your own hyper during the opponent's hyper flash and it will start immediately after their flash ends. Now, does this work the same way if you were in the middle of an attack? i.e. can you cancel your attacks with a hyper during the opponents freeze animation? How about dashes?
    Yes, like if you did Heavy punch with Hulk and Wesker did counter hyper, you can input gamma tsunami to beat his counter
    Streetfighter X Tekken: I was raised on Tekken.
  • BrahmaBrahma Get it on Joined: Posts: 514
    Thanks!

What about Hulk's dash? He can only cancel with jump, so would inputting TK hyper work to cancel dash during the hyper animation?

Also, has anyone else been unable to get into ranked matches the last few days?
    Ready, steady, deadly...
  • Ajtucker22Ajtucker22 Blue Lantern of Earth. Joined: Posts: 816
    Don't know if this has been answered yet or not but, if I've recently used an assist can I not call in my next character with an aerial exchange? I've got sent in back with his rocket punch and spencer second for DHC glitch set up. I'm trying to extend a combo with the rocket punch as my OTG and then call in Spencer to use DHC glitch but for some reason only after I use sent when I try to aerial exchange all I get is a normal S. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?
    Move fast and have hope.
  • KarsticlesKarsticles Greetings. Joined: Posts: 2,649
    What exactly is a Spinning Knockdown? How does it differ from a Hard or Soft Knockdown?
    "Karst" for short.
    My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
    My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
    Support BoF2 Nina for UMvC3 DLC! - my fan moveset: http://tinyurl.com/3h2r2ck
  • XshikamaruXXshikamaruX Joined: Posts: 5
    What exactly is a Spinning Knockdown? How does it differ from a Hard or Soft Knockdown?

"Some attacks cause a violent spinning knockdown, which hurls the victim across the screen. Spinning characters cannot do anything or recover until they hit the ground. So, as with both types of bounces, these victims are open to more punishment. The difference is that there is no innate limitation the number of spinning knockdowns allowed during a combo."

It would be categorized as a soft knockdown, though I dislike the hard and soft categorizations because it does not specify things like spinning knockdowns. Soft because you can roll once you hit the ground. The difference however is that in spinning knockdowns, victims cannot air recover even after a ton of hitstun deterioration, unlike normal knockdowns. Dormammu's Purification does spinning knockdown, but because the last hit is a regular hit, the victim flips out. Deadpool's Cuttin' Time is a spinning knockdown, but because of the properties of the super they will flip out. These are the only exceptions that I have experienced.
  • KarsticlesKarsticles Greetings. Joined: Posts: 2,649
    See, that is why I have been so confused. A lot of attacks are categorized as spinning knockdown in the strategy guide, yet I see enemies recover out of them. Then I get confused by the name "soft knockdown", since your opponent doesn't necessarily get knocked down, he can recover mid-air with enough hitstun decay. Weirdness. I didn't know the last hit of Dormammu's Purification was a normal hit, and that's why the opponent recovers - good stuff.
    "Karst" for short.
    My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
    My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
    Support BoF2 Nina for UMvC3 DLC! - my fan moveset: http://tinyurl.com/3h2r2ck
  • kensanitykensanity Joined: Posts: 1,523
    Does the amount of hitstun a character takes affect how fast they reset in the air?

i.e. with She-hulk if I do :s: sj :m::m::h::s: land torpedo will my opponent take longer to reset in the air as opposed to
    :s: sj :h::s: down +:h: whiff TAC,land cr :m::s: sj :m::m::h::s: land torpedo?

also, if an opponent resets in the air (like in the above situation) are they always vulnerable to she hulks ToT hyper and :qcf:+:m:?
  • PkMn TrainerPkMn Trainer Pharaoh Man Pose! Joined: Posts: 49
    Noob question but do Hyper Combo Level 3's sound different on Xbox and Ps3? Whenever I watch the streams PS3 hyper level 3's make a booming sound while on Xbox it is a different noise. Is it console difference or just a sound setting? I don't have access to the game right now to test it out.
    Blaz Blue CS: Lambda-11/Arakune
    Soul Caliber IV: Yoshimitsu/Amy
    Marvel vs Capcom 3: Wolverine/Zero/Taskmaster
  • DietDiet Garbage Day Joined: Posts: 1,287
    also, if an opponent resets in the air (like in the above situation) are they always vulnerable to she hulks ToT hyper and :qcf:+:m:?
    They can reset forward or backward by holding forward or backward respectively. You would have to read which way they did it to correctly capitalize on their choice.
    youtube.com/dietplain
    2w6ge50.jpg
  • kensanitykensanity Joined: Posts: 1,523

in this video at 16:00 Richard N does chains dashes together during his flight.

How do i do this? by plink dashing or by changing my dash input (i.e. dash uf, f, df etc)?
  • CauldrathCauldrath Joined: Posts: 617
    Plink dashing. The dash gets canceled into the normal, which gets canceled into the dash.
    My blog where I try to break games: http://cauldrath.blogspot.com/
    My videos of me trying to break games: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cauldrath
  • Big OBig O Joined: Posts: 366
    How do you do qcb motions while moving backwards without getting a reverse srk move coming out (like with Dorm)?
  • BeastEGBeastEG One day, I'll realize I'm bad at FG's Joined: Posts: 176
    Don't know if this has been answered yet or not but, if I've recently used an assist can I not call in my next character with an aerial exchange? I've got sent in back with his rocket punch and spencer second for DHC glitch set up. I'm trying to extend a combo with the rocket punch as my OTG and then call in Spencer to use DHC glitch but for some reason only after I use sent when I try to aerial exchange all I get is a normal S. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

I was having this problem as well with my team and it was driving me insane!. I made a small video in case your trying to do them same

Cheers!
    Tourney Tag: M-Ray / PSN: BeastyEG
    VF5FS: Sarah
    UMvC3: Task (H.Arrows) / Dorm (Hole) / Doom (Beam) ; Skrull (Tender) / Doom (Missile) / Dante (Jam)
    KOF13: Robert / King / Shen [Beginner here so I suck hardcore]
  • PureJeanyisPureJeanyis Novice/Failbox Joined: Posts: 11
    What is an "anchor", and what/who makes a good one? What are good qualities for one?
    SSF4: Rose
    MvC3: Chun-li, Spencer, Tron = Bionic CHAAARRRM!
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    "Anchor" basically means the last character on a team.

Spencer, Wesker, and Sentinel are all good anchors. Good anchors usually have good assists to help the first characters, as well as good X-Factor, good mixups to get a hit in on an opponent. Invincible hypers always help, like Spencer's Bionic Arm.
  • IrieKingIrieKing Haters gunna hate Joined: Posts: 24
    Why is it that i see so many training mode combos that kill any character, yet i have never seen it in any matches. I understand that it may not be as easy as it looks, but its strange to me that i never see anyone pulling it off.
    NaCl Guru
  • notsoynotsoy I don't know wtf is going on here Joined: Posts: 149
    Why is it that i see so many training mode combos that kill any character, yet i have never seen it in any matches. I understand that it may not be as easy as it looks, but its strange to me that i never see anyone pulling it off.
    The same reason nobody's done Yun's ~800 damage combo in an actual tournament - combo videos are full of stuff that are completely not feasible to pull off in a pitched fight for the most part.

This is strongly correlated to why Viscant won EVO - he picked a team, and plays a style, that is less strenuous and demanding from an execution perspective. The simpler your shit is, the less likely you're going to fuck it up due to fatigue/pressure/choking/etc.
  • AzurozAzuroz Joined: Posts: 16
    Alright, so im brand new to MvC starting with ultimate, got experience with street fighter and soul calibur. Basically im looking for a team setup that would fit a beginner, ive been doing some of the "missions" for different characters, and there are a few that i found that kinda fits me ( zero, storm, felicia to name a few). But i have no idea what characters works with what.
    Also what is the best way to practice when starting out? im completely new to the tag team format and i dont quite know how to use assist effectively and whatnot so im probably not gonna play online for quite a while. Any input that can be concidered relevant is welcome!
  • GanishkaGanishka Joined: Posts: 321
    Just picked the game up, never ever played any other FG of this sort (like MvC2 or TvsC and stuff like that).
    Anyway, the first quistion I have, is it okay to play with auto-super jump cancel? It's set as default in the options, but isn't it concidered sorta like using turbo? A kind of cheating?

Oh and what is the best way to lay out the buttons? I use the defaults right now (playing on a MC TE) but it seems kinda guffy to activate exvactor by taping on the four buttons with youre whole hand lol. Tried to put the L M H S buttons in the first line above, didn't make it much more convinient, what lay-outs are the most popular?
    When the air burns, only death breaths deep. (c)
  • Epic SquidEpic Squid In Charge! Joined: Posts: 378
    Just picked the game up, never ever played any other FG of this sort (like MvC2 or TvsC and stuff like that).
    Anyway, the first quistion I have, is it okay to play with auto-super jump cancel? It's set as default in the options, but isn't it concidered sorta like using turbo? A kind of cheating?

Oh and what is the best way to lay out the buttons? I use the defaults right now (playing on a MC TE) but it seems kinda guffy to activate exvactor by taping on the four buttons with youre whole hand lol. Tried to put the L M H S buttons in the first line above, didn't make it much more convinient, what lay-outs are the most popular?
    1. no
    2. option 2 for TE:
    L M H
    S A1 A2
  • GanishkaGanishka Joined: Posts: 321
    1. no
    2. option 2 for TE:
    L M H
    S A1 A2

Thanks for the lay-out, I'll try it, but I didn't understand youre answer for the auto-jump xD No as to 'no it's not okay to play with it' or no as a 'no it's not considered cheating if you play with aut-jump' xD
    When the air burns, only death breaths deep. (c)
  • Epic SquidEpic Squid In Charge! Joined: Posts: 378
    Thanks for the lay-out, I'll try it, but I didn't understand youre answer for the auto-jump xD No as to 'no it's not okay to play with it' or no as a 'no it's not considered cheating if you play with aut-jump' xD
    no as in it's not cheating... nobody cares if you use it
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey MoThErFuCkEr Joined: Posts: 729
    What is the DHC glitch?
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Frank West (Shopping Cart), Dante (Jam Session)
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    What is the DHC glitch?

A glitch that broke the game and doesn't matter anymore.
  • KaoriKaori Would you like a demonstration? Joined: Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    For air combo finishers is it just a matter of pressing S because when I try to do a magic series or smaller combo and OTG My character lands too late to continue the combo.....

Also when something is say L, M , H, S j. L and then the next command is also j. M do they mean just continue by pressing the next button or is a direction plus the button needed?

I feel like I'm missing something because even when I input the buttons for a certain combination I keep whiffing or missing a hit and dropping the combo
  • nightofthesunnightofthesun Beast Master Joined: Posts: 130
    is there any place i can find out about the speed in which a character falls? this has to do with an amaterasu combo.
    the combo is *normal stance*MHHH > *sword*cMcH.236L > MHcH.236L ~ easiest to do in corner.
    my issue is, some characters fall too fast after cMcH.236L, meaning i cant connect the last portion of the combo. if i remember correct, i can catch magneto, but not chun-li.
    i am guessing the fall speed i am trying to find for all characters is possibly related to character hitbox/size.
    any thoughts on this??
    UMVC3 - Ammy / Felicia
    SF4 - Blanka / Dan / Chargers *Body Projectiles*
    TEKKEN - Ganryu / Bears / Jacks
    SOUL CALIBUR - Astaroth

"I got Japanese player Koji KOG in my pool...any T.Hawk tips for Dan?
    Play blanka"
  • synginsyngin Steel-toe breakfast? Joined: Posts: 650
    For air combo finishers is it just a matter of pressing S because when I try to do a magic series or smaller combo and OTG My character lands too late to continue the combo.....

Also when something is say L, M , H, S j. L and then the next command is also j. M do they mean just continue by pressing the next button or is a direction plus the button needed?

I feel like I'm missing something because even when I input the buttons for a certain combination I keep whiffing or missing a hit and dropping the combo
    It's all timing. You can slow things down in air combos so that your :s: is later than if you just buffer everything as fast as possible. For reference, dig up an old combofiend video from MVC3 and watch the way he does She Hulk's :m: :m: :h: :s: series in the air.

Edit:

About 27s in.

:l: :m: :h: :s: j.:l: j.:m: ... is what you think it is - i.e., you don't land between the j.:l: and the next j.:m:.

The timing for the air series (mmhs for example) does change between characters (i.e., Haggar vs. X-23).
    another lp? heh... workin me to the bone...
  • DedemaruDedemaru Joined: Posts: 598
    Can anyone tell me why, at the end of some hypers, the screen flashes black and white?
  • TruesightTruesight Joined: Posts: 4
    Alright, so I'm really new to fighting games in general (though I played a good bit of Tekken, but it's soooo different) and I just got a stick so I can play this game forreals. I'm playing Dormammu/Taskmaster/Ryu and I'm having a lot of trouble wave dashing with Ryu. Is there a trick to it? I don't understand what plink dashing is/how it works so I've been trying to wave dash the same way I do with Taskmaster but instead I keep getting his koolaid mode (Denjin) super. How can I wave dash with him more effectively so that I can complete the BnBs that use the wall bounce?

Also, I played on a game pad for a long while and just recently moved to a stick last week since it just came in the mail. Is there a secret to getting better with the stick faster? My performance definitely dropped off when I switched and I can still perform fairly well on the pad but lack basics on the fight stick.

And, last question, is there a specifically effective way of getting around/through/punishing Doom Missiles assist?
  • KaoriKaori Would you like a demonstration? Joined: Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    When I try to tridash or dash cancel I keep getting thrown, besides assist whats a way to do these and be "safer"?
  • Dark_KyDark_Ky Joined: Posts: 8
    is there a way to turn off the autosave function in umvc3? its making me crazy.

how do i punish striders H-teleport? i think i airthrowed him out of it once but i dont know how i did it lol
  • don_tknowdon_tknow Vipes the floor Joined: Posts: 373
    Just block and punish, it's -7. If you chicken block it, it's even more unsafe.
    FFM-Rumble Tournament Series (Germany): rumble.hardedge.org
  • REPTILE 0009REPTILE 0009 Joined: Posts: 83
    1. How do I get better at just moving around in UMVC3 in general? Coming from Street Fighter, every character seems to just control awkwardly. The characters have very floaty jumps, almost as if they are on the moon. This makes it very difficult for me to position my character correctly for jump in’s and crossups.
    2. I’m having quite a bit of trouble actually landing my combos in a real match. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get the enemy to sit still long for me to land a combo, or apply mixups. Does anybody have any help for me?
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,275
    The game is very free (and by that I mean open), so my advice would be to disinhibit yourself. SF players, especially Japanese players and people from SNK backgrounds tend to be extremely technical and precise. In Marvel mashing buttons and directions can often give you option selects without even realising. It's like you can win accidentally on purpose. Free up your mind, don't X-copy (this works in £S and SFIV but not MARVEL).. If your aim is to be a recognised winner at Marvel then just do what you want, play as whoever and eventually you'll be "oh that sick guy that plays Arthur/Shuma Gorath and Jill/..He's awesome!".

On the contrary, if you use WOng's team or copy some Tokido or Viscant you'll just be a wannabe, imho.
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭
  • REPTILE 0009REPTILE 0009 Joined: Posts: 83
    Now that I’m just starting out playing UMVC3, I was wondering what characters would be good to start out with? I was thinking about using a Dante/Chris, Morrigan, and Sentinel team, but if you guys have something better let me know.
  • blackninja14blackninja14 Joined: Posts: 61
    Now that I’m just starting out playing UMVC3, I was wondering what characters would be good to start out with? I was thinking about using a Dante/Chris, Morrigan, and Sentinel team, but if you guys have something better let me know.

If u started i suggest you learn bold canceling with dante and fly canceling with morrigan. I suggest you start using easier charachters like akuma wolverine
  • blackninja14blackninja14 Joined: Posts: 61
    Seriously im never gonna start the same way again. Since i got umvc all i have been doing is getting my combos down. now thanks to that even comp very hard whoops my ass. Its all about openings screw combos first solid movement and opening then learn the combos.
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,275
    Seriously, the best thing to do in Marvel is pick characters you like and then assists that compliment each other. You'll enjoy yourself and want to pracise and innovate- PTL! (Play to learn) before you go business mode at a tournament. Nothing stings more than an unexpected team like Shuma Gorath/Arthur/Phoenix Wright.
  • Tyson651Tyson651 Joined: Posts: 5
    whats chicken block mean?

and how do you TAC counter? do you have to press S + direction as well? or just direction?
  • SheldonCooperSheldonCooper Joined: Posts: 93
    whats chicken block mean?

and how do you TAC counter? do you have to press S + direction as well? or just direction?
    Chicken blocking means holding up back to avoid high/low mixups because you can block in the air. You're potentially vulnerable when your feet hit the ground, but generally it's a strong tactic. Some people hate you for doing it, I absolutely have to do it with Nemesis or I'm dead. Watch out for air throws though.

TAC counter is indeed one of 3 directions (Up, Down or Sideways) + S.
    • I play video games sometimes
    • Monster @ Stream