S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ: The Official MvC3 FAQ thread

1232425262729»

Comments

• SynysterChrisSynysterChris Joined: Posts: 4
    Question, to tec a throw do you have to be pressing the same direction as the throw or just be throwing at the same time to tec it?
  • eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
    Question, to tec a throw do you have to be pressing the same direction as the throw or just be throwing at the same time to tec it?
    throwing at the same time not same direction
  • KratosKratos Joined: Posts: 147
    what do you have to do to reach the ground fast to have time to otg or use an assist or w/e after doing an air magic series ?
    PSN: Bazinga311
    AE: Seth/Cammy/Gouken(Rose)
    UMVC3: Nova/Spencer/Dr. Doom
    Nova/Frankwest/Dormammu
    Dormammu/ Dr. Doom / Wesker
  • BeastEGBeastEG One day, I'll realize I'm bad at FG's Joined: Posts: 176
    what do you have to do to reach the ground fast to have time to otg or use an assist or w/e after doing an air magic series ?

It comes down to two things:

1) Staggering your air series so the last hit (that causes the hard knockdown) happens as low to the ground as possible. Since you generally "slam" your opponent to the ground, you will fall slower than your opponent in those situations. Thus, the lower to the ground you are when you do that, the more time you'll have. I would recommend doing the Skrull Combo missions to get a sense of this.

2) Have downward momentum before knocking opponent down. In general, some moves are capable of keeping the opponent air borne while you gain downward momentum. For example the classic Taskmaster Air combo series :s: xx sj -> j.:m: , j.:h:, j.:f:+:h: -> j.:m: , j.:h:, j.:s: works beautifully because right before you slam the opponent, you are already on your way down, therefore increasing the time you have to OTG.

Also, there are some character specific ones, like strider's air magic series of j.:m:, double jump, j.:m:, j.:h:, j.:s:. In this case, the double jump kills strider's upwards momentum and allows him to fall to the ground faster

Hope that helps!
    Tourney Tag: M-Ray / PSN: BeastyEG
    VF5FS: Sarah
    UMvC3: Task (H.Arrows) / Dorm (Hole) / Doom (Beam) ; Skrull (Tender) / Doom (Missile) / Dante (Jam)
    KOF13: Robert / King / Shen [Beginner here so I suck hardcore]
  • KratosKratos Joined: Posts: 147
    yea this been asked 2 weeks ago so i already figured it out thx for the extra info tho
    PSN: Bazinga311
    AE: Seth/Cammy/Gouken(Rose)
    UMVC3: Nova/Spencer/Dr. Doom
    Nova/Frankwest/Dormammu
    Dormammu/ Dr. Doom / Wesker
  • BPCadetBPCadet Joined: Posts: 120
    What is wavedashing/plink dashing? What's the fastest way to do it? Is it actually useful for Nova, Frank West, or Wesker?

Hsienko's gold armor gives her how much armor?! (And, as an aside, this character is low tier despite having a move that makes her completely immune to combos?)
    Ask me about Brawl Minus
  • TenguEggTenguEgg Joined: Posts: 1,145
    Wavedashing is canceling a dash into a crouch, into another dash x N. You do it by dashing ( usually by pressing 2 attack buttons ), then pressing down to crouch. So if you use L and M for dashing, it will look like, LM, down, LM, down etc.

Plink dashing is relatively hard to do and I wouldn't worry about it for awhile if you can't wavedash yet. But basically the easiest way to plink dash is to hit a higher priority attack button with a lower one almost at the same time but hitting the higher priority one just a bit before, and repeatedly doing that. So if you use M as your higher priority button with L, it'll just be M,L,M,L,M,L while you strum the buttons. Mostly useful for dashing backwards since wavedashing backwards is really tough to do.

Both are useful for almost any character in the game, aside from those who cannot crouch cancel their dashes or can't cancel them in general.

Hsien-Kos gold armor gives her basically infinity super armor, until her health runs out or the timer on Gold Armor runs out. Shes not "immune" to combos though, she still takes damage. Yeah shes low tier because she lacks pretty much everything you need to be a good character in this game, so-so damage and meter build, poor mobility, only decent mixups, but gold armor is one thing she has going for her, costs 1 meter though.

If you want to play her go ahead though, it'll be a rough start though.
  • BPCadetBPCadet Joined: Posts: 120
    Wavedashing is canceling a dash into a crouch, into another dash x N. You do it by dashing ( usually by pressing 2 attack buttons ), then pressing down to crouch. So if you use L and M for dashing, it will look like, LM, down, LM, down etc.

Plink dashing is relatively hard to do and I wouldn't worry about it for awhile if you can't wavedash yet. But basically the easiest way to plink dash is to hit a higher priority attack button with a lower one almost at the same time but hitting the higher priority one just a bit before, and repeatedly doing that. So if you use M as your higher priority button with L, it'll just be M,L,M,L,M,L while you strum the buttons. Mostly useful for dashing backwards since wavedashing backwards is really tough to do.

Both are useful for almost any character in the game, aside from those who cannot crouch cancel their dashes or can't cancel them in general.

Thanks. I've been doing wavedashing already, just wasn't sure on the terms; plink dashing seems like something I should work on. Wavedashing back seems like basically inviting accidental QCB supers.
    Hsien-Kos gold armor gives her basically infinity super armor, until her health runs out or the timer on Gold Armor runs out. Shes not "immune" to combos though, she still takes damage. Yeah shes low tier because she lacks pretty much everything you need to be a good character in this game, so-so damage and meter build, poor mobility, only decent mixups, but gold armor is one thing she has going for her, costs 1 meter though.

If you want to play her go ahead though, it'll be a rough start though.

Ey, I'm no masochist. I just hate that stupid assist.
    Ask me about Brawl Minus
  • AuthenticMMAuthenticMM Only Human Joined: Posts: 130
    edited February 2013
    Are there any special properties that occur when you do a reversal other than hearing the announcer say, "REVERSAL!"?
    Post edited by AuthenticMM on
  • RedFlame115RedFlame115 Joined: Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    How do you use the combo emoticons? Thanks in advance.
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The combo emoticons used to be :l: :m: :h: etc but they've been removed in the new layout. Hopefully we get them back, or a replacement but nothing so far.
    And no, there're no extra properties with reversals. Just telling you you did the move on the first possible frame out of a knockdown.
    I am the one true frog.
  • Tickle BrisketTickle Brisket Joined: Posts: 72
    Picked up the game today...total scrub and feel retarded for asking,but in the simplest way how do you super jump cancel?

• DedemaruDedemaru Joined: Posts: 603
    Picked up the game today...total scrub and feel retarded for asking,but in the simplest way how do you super jump cancel?

Wish I could've answered sooner.

Simply tap down before tapping up. One swift motion. You barely touch down before you're hitting up.

• purekunpurekun Joined: Posts: 8
    I am striving to start playing UMvC3, but I always hit some kind of a wall. I know how to play AE, ST, Guilty Gear, but I just hit a wall when playing UMvC3.
    I feel like I understand what's going on when other people play and I understand what do they do, but then I get blown up by people just mashing attacks behind sentinel's assist and stuff like that. (Wesker teleporting comes to my mind) And I believe that I am supposed to be able to snipe the assist whenever I hear it if he's overabusing it that way, but I just don't know what and how should I be watching out for that stuff. In the end, I end up eating the scrubby stuff, even though I know that it is scrubby stuff and that there's bound to be a counter to that, I ain't just seeing/feeling/knowing it.

Is there some kind of video tutorial for UMvC3 showing the main fundamentals for the "highlevel" game like KoF does? Or even a text tutorial? I don't mean a tutorial that goes through what do the buttons do, but go a bit deeper into the fundamentals themselves.
  • <Insert Name Here>&lt;Insert Name Here&gt; Plays low IQ characters Joined: Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viscant's Cross Counter tutorial? It was Vanilla but I think what he said then can still apply today.
    UMvC3: M.O.D.O.K./Doctor Doom/Dante, Magneto/Dormammu/Dante (?), Magneto/Dante/Frank West (?) || BBCP: Relius
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "how can anyone hate marvel if our eyes aren't real?" - Scrubeks || "and yeah storm is top tier in majority eyes" - MILF
  • Summoner HansSummoner Hans JELLY CUBE! Joined: Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭
    What determines if doom's footdive is air dash cancelable. Is it different for the towards H and the S version?
    And also. What supers blow up Doom/Ammy THC? I know zero level 3 does. Does pheonix rage? Anything else?
    tag: Nd KakaKhakis
    UMVC3: Trish/Doom/Ammy
    Follow me on the twitter @Nd_KakaKhakis
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    It's just a matter of height as far as I know if you don't account for timing. As long as you're not doing the foot dive one inch from the ground you should technically be able to dash cancel it. The only issue is the window to dash cancel it can be missed in the heat of battle and then you are just left stranded. Usually you can just mash it out, but once in a while you'll mash and just not hit it at the right timing. Least that's my experience.

Any heavily invincible super will beat Doom/Ammy THC. Doom/Ammy THC is really strong for incoming mix ups and people that are airborne, but it's a bit overrated in the overall neutral . Mag Shockwave will easily cause a trade or win, Shadow Servant wins free, Mach Speed wins free, Bionic Arm at closer ranges will trade or win, Viper's supers at close range will win, 7 rings of raggador just blows them both up free cuz common sense, yeah.

Main issue with Doom/Ammy THC is not having invincibility. Meaning Viper throwing seismos or Hawkeye shooting arrows can easily just keep frame trapping them from full screen and force them to waste meter getting shot out of the start up of the THC. They must be on the ground to THC also so it's best to stay on the ground where you also have the most tools against it. Early activate of spiral swords may be able to power through it also.

It is pretty much the perfect move for killing off Dark Vergils on incoming though that isn't a guard break or unblockable.

Post edited by DevilJin 01 on
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • nightofthesunnightofthesun Beast Master Joined: Posts: 130
    i've tried looking and haven't found what it is I needed and don't want to start a new thread in case there is something similar created already. anyways, is there a thread that talks about being able to cancel your specials directly into a THC? I can do it with ammy cold star and felicia rolling buckler *no follow-up*.
    UMVC3 - Ammy / Felicia
    SF4 - Blanka / Dan / Chargers *Body Projectiles*
    TEKKEN - Ganryu / Bears / Jacks
    SOUL CALIBUR - Astaroth

"I got Japanese player Koji KOG in my pool...any T.Hawk tips for Dan?
    Play blanka"
  • BurningSnakeBurningSnake Joined: Posts: 31
    I've owned this game for a year and always sucked at it, to this day I still do. I haven't played it in months and I'm thinking of going back to it sometime, but I know I'll just get my ass crushed in 30 seconds if I ever get in a match with somebody. Probably the hardest fighting game I've ever played, I'm gonna need to do lots of practice. It's gonna be very long practice time: but I must ask one question:

By the community, who are considered the easiest, least technical characters in the game and the quickest team to get accustomed to? I never was particularly great with anybody and I would like to start small, and then slowly become at least moderately good and then I'll be happy :). I have no particular dislikes when it comes to the characters in this game (well, except for Hsien-Ko, since she's bottom tier and was badly nerfed from her Darkstalkers incarnation) and I'll play anybody as long as they don't have too much of a learning curve. Normally I take Tier Lists seriously in fighting games, but this time I'll make an exception.

Almost every fighter has at least one cheesy and easy character that everyone likes to complain about.
    - In Darkstalkers/Vampire, its Jon Talbain/Gallon
    - In Street Fighter 2, Its Sagat or Vega/Balrog (Claw). In 3rd Strike, its Chun Li
    - In Super Smash Bros, Its Meta Knight

I'm far from an expert, but I'm sure that even this game as at least one (semi)beginner-friendly character that's cheesy, just who is it? Lots of people would say Vergil and I once heard its Nova, but since I'm terrible at this game, I'm not really sure. Any help would be most appreciated.
  • <Insert Name Here>&lt;Insert Name Here&gt; Plays low IQ characters Joined: Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the community, who are considered the easiest, least technical characters in the game and the quickest team to get accustomed to?
    A lot of the characters could be considered "easy", don't worry too much about that and focus on who you want to learn. I guess you might want to avoid Viper and Dante, and maybe MODOK, too.

You can also ask about building a team here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/150274/official-and-only-team-building-thread-all-team-building-topics-go-here
    UMvC3: M.O.D.O.K./Doctor Doom/Dante, Magneto/Dormammu/Dante (?), Magneto/Dante/Frank West (?) || BBCP: Relius
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "how can anyone hate marvel if our eyes aren't real?" - Scrubeks || "and yeah storm is top tier in majority eyes" - MILF