Iowa: Maize of Defeat

Comments

• HogoshaHogosha SHUT UP AND TAKE MY GEMS. Joined: Posts: 1,217
    Good seeing everyone again yesterday. Hope all of ya enjoyed the Mystery tournament. :)
  • XiangXiang The Old Man Joined: Posts: 594
    Had to work today, which ate up significant time, so sorry for the late updates, but I finally got full results updated for MOK. Thanks for your fb post, Blake, btw. I used that to fill in the characters for some of the games.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/mok-2-results.170709/#post-7622832
  • orionfaceorionface Joined: Posts: 28
    Hey I checked this thread months ago to see if anything was going on in the Des Moines area or Ames. I live in des moines but im not too keen on driving hours and hours to play a few matches. I mainly play marvel and a little bit of ssf4 but open to other games. Im the only one of my group of friends that enjoys fighting games so it would be cool if there was a group in the des moines or ames area I could get some offline matches with and help me get better. If anyone sees this and knows of something coming up in the next month or so please hit me up and let me know. So bored playing marvel and ssf4 lagfest online it gets super frustrating.
    Luckily for you, most of our scene is in Des Moines.
  • orionfaceorionface Joined: Posts: 28
    Are there gatherings pretty often? Like weekly or just monthly? Where do you guys gather usually?
    I'm not in Des Moines (I'm sure they'll pop in here at some point), so I can't tell you everything, but I know Joker does a monthly thing and I hear talk about the occasional gathering. Not sure if there are any consistent weekly things, but I'm sure someone will clarify.
  • MURPHAGATOR!MURPHAGATOR! Go! Go! Zeppeli! Joined: Posts: 676
    Gatherings in Des Moines have been spotty at best over the last few months.
  • ngamer3kngamer3k Ground-Type Joined: Posts: 355
    As I said on Facebook (this is Blake), let me know when you want to play and we can. If you want games it's as easy picking a day.
    [23:18] <emotuba> I CHOOSE MY NGAMER
    [23:18] <emotuba> my shiny blake
    [23:18] <Top_hat> NGAMER USED SILENCE
    [23:18] <Top_hat> IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE
    http://ngamer3k-stocktank.blogspot.com/
  • AxioMAxioM Zap yo dumbass. Joined: Posts: 1,077
  • kdotlokdotlo SoulFist Joined: Posts: 21
    Pixels is having their annual Child's Play Charity event on December 1st and I'll be there hosting some fight games: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/dec-1-2012-pixels-plays-for-kids-2-0-childs-play-charity-event-ssfiv-umvc3-p4a-ames-ia.172283/
    "Defeating you takes less effort than smacking a baby." - Akuma
  • RadianRadian pick a top tier Joined: Posts: 645
  • DTJBDTJB Lazy Man's Artist Joined: Posts: 1,278
    A random James appears at the Tuesday Dubuque gatherings. Hogosha's video card suddenly dies. Coincidence??? :confused:
    Working hard to get noticed.
    Put something in the music threads, good chance I'll like it.
    3S: Makoto - KOF13: Terry/Shen/Kula - USF4: Adon - VS: Felicia - SFV: (casual) R. Mika
    Hey, guys, I forgot to post this here, but I wrote a book. Legit book, no gaming influence at all, lol. Here's the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Old-Smokehouse-Scott-Jackson/dp/1480250821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354485265&sr=8-1&keywords=the+old+smokehouse

I also made a fb page, too, with some more info (it's a public event, so feel free to join or invite at your discretion):

https://www.facebook.com/events/141281932686370/?fref=ts

If you don't have the money to buy it, I understand. I can still hook you up with an electronic copy for free, just send me a message. Also, even if you have ZERO interest in it at all, Amazon has a "like" button much like facebook, so I would still like to request a huge favor and ask that you "like" my book.

:D
    Well Des Moines, it's been fun but it looks like I'll be moving on. I'll be in DBQ for a short spell then back in IC. This is also probably going to mark the end of competitive fighters for me, the reward simply isn't there for me. Best of luck to those of you still looking to improve.
  • Latino_LinkLatino_Link Joined: Posts: 145
    Well Des Moines, it's been fun but it looks like I'll be moving on. I'll be in DBQ for a short spell then back in IC. This is also probably going to mark the end of competitive fighters for me, the reward simply isn't there for me. Best of luck to those of you still looking to improve.
    man well hopefully you don't go stranger on me (at least i can talk to you if you are ever doing speed runs).
  • theDUKEtheDUKE Poppin yo collar! Joined: Posts: 611
    Any regular gatherings take place nowadays anywhere in IA?? I'm in Northern Iowa and can potentially travel if work permits...mainly lookin for decent to high level Marvel.
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Any regular gatherings take place nowadays anywhere in IA?? I'm in Northern Iowa and can potentially travel if work permits...mainly lookin for decent to high level Marvel.
    exactly what part of northern iowa are you at i mean my group has casuals on saturdays at west liberty (which is 15 miles east of iowa city). the 29th chamber (http://www.facebook.com/groups/the29thchamber/) majority of them are in the central iowa then you got the Dubuque scene have no idea when they hang out but hogosha is in charge of that.
    Im in Forest City, about 35 mins NW of Mason City. None of those are too close I assume...
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Yeah, you're a couple of hours away from any of us, I think. Des Moines would be your best bet.
    wait what about lazy alchemist and the illustrious Sac City.
    Wheres that??
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Murph, thanks for all you've done. You've been really great.
    Maybe I misinterpreted what Murphy said... are you removing yourself from the scene completely, Murphy, including the boards? I took it to mean you just weren't going to live events anymore.
    Maybe I misinterpreted what Murphy said... are you removing yourself from the scene completely, Murphy, including the boards? I took it to mean you just weren't going to live events anymore.

Yea pretty much I just meant I wasn't really going to travel anymore. I've been playing fighters for too long and enjoy them too much for me to just give up on them completely, but the time and effort that's required to keep up with them competitively is just more than I'm willing to invest at this point. Not to mention that the games that seem to be popular ATM are games that I have little to no interest in. If people want to play like random stuff on ggpo or w/e I'd probably still be game for it.
    Gotcha. Mike's post made me think like you were going to join the Amish or something and we'd never hear from you again, lol.
  • HogoshaHogosha SHUT UP AND TAKE MY GEMS. Joined: Posts: 1,217

Screw fighters. This is all you need.
  • cheezface immortalcheezface immortal unbeatlievable Joined: Posts: 1,082
    shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/feb-2-2013-plenty-of-corn-decatur-in.174183

Your friends in Indiana are hosting a Street Fighter, Marvel, and Smash tourney in just under a month. Please take a look and consider! :)
    I am, quite possibly, the greatest man alive!
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
  • KeranataKeranata Joined: Posts: 653
    WOLF TEAM too strong
    Even when I say nothing it's a positive use of negative space
  • KamigKamig BERSERKER FUCKING SLASH! Joined: Posts: 108

I haven't been on these boards in awhile. I'm not sure if you will see this or not Murph, I'll say it anyways. I still regret saying anything about the whole Darra incident, I am sorry that ever happened. It's sad to hear you are "done" with fighters for the most part. I feel like when you were still playing MVC3 you were the best in Iowa, in many ways you were an inspiration and a reason for me to keep improving. Currently Joker is filling that void, but without him I don't know If I would play Marvel anymore really. I haven't been able to make it out to events recently, I kind of feel the same way about not playing Fighters anymore. Good luck in your future endeavors Murph. You were a great help to our scene.
    Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining.
    "One button, one million overheads!" - Ngamer3k on Yatterman 2
  • Name v.5.0Name v.5.0 Joined: Posts: 124
    Looking like Injustice: Gods Among Us is turning out to be a game that looks to draw in the SF4/MVC players. Hope some of you kids are at least willing to give it a chance.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/30/injustice-gods-among-us-to-feature-optional-street-fighter-style-controls-online-training-mode-new-story-details-and-trailer-released/
  • daedae22daedae22 Joined: Posts: 27
    edited February 2013
    Hey fellow Iowans been awhile since I posted on here sorry for that. Me and my team of local storm lakers have opened a youtube channel where we've uploaded matches of our online ranbats (online is the best option for now) so check us out like subscribe comment and thank you in advance for you support. 

Also I've started my own channel mainly just ST stuff here but still give it a look if you like super turbo I'm really new to the game so I'm using GGPO as a means of learning the game. http://www.youtube.com/user/daedaehayabusa?feature=mhee

Anyway once again My xbl gt is TV Daedae feel free to add me if you wanna play some or on GGPO I'm Daedae22 you can catch me on there usually once a night. Thanks for listening to me ramble I hope to make it to a local event when the weather warms and I have the ball rolling on hosting tournaments here in Storm Lake which you all will be more than welcome but more on that later thanks again ttyl!

t

t

DaeDae, how big is the scene out there for UMVC3 and SFVI ?? I'm in Northern Iowa and may be able to come out sometime...
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Going to be booking a room for UFGT pretty soon, who wants to split the difference?
    3S: Makoto - KOF13: Terry/Shen/Kula - USF4: Adon - VS: Felicia - SFV: (casual) R. Mika
    Really going to wait and see if Injustice is any good before I dive in. I would say it couldn't be worse than X game... but that's been proven wrong many a time.
  • WoodyWoody Joined: Posts: 71
    I'm moving up to Iowa City in June, and was just curious what the fighting game scene looked like. There much of a crowd? I'm looking forward to getting some offline Injustice matches in.
    Anyone?
    The scene in eastern Eastern Iowa has floundered recently. There isn't many people out there playing anything. I'm hoping that could change with Injustice. I know of a handful of people that are playing it so hopefully we can get some people interested.
    Name v.5.0 wrote: »
    The scene in eastern Eastern Iowa has floundered recently. There isn't many people out there playing anything. I'm hoping that could change with Injustice. I know of a handful of people that are playing it so hopefully we can get some people interested.

Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for the info!
    Here's my impression of SRK: "Oh, you haven't posted in 24 hours? YOU NO LONGER GET E-MAIL UPDATES."

But fuck me for never coming here on my own, right? -_-

P.S. I like the little smiley they gave me, though.
    Have any of you played the Injustice demo? It's badass!
    Woody wrote: »

I've been playing it as much as possible. Really liking it. Demo is pretty broke though. They already found an infinite with Luthor, haha.

Any UMVC3 players anywhere around Northern Iowa?
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Name v.5.0 wrote: »
    Woody wrote: »

I've been playing it as much as possible. Really liking it. Demo is pretty broke though. They already found an infinite with Luthor, haha.

Ha, yeah, at least it's based off an old build. Everything should be a lot more balanced in the retail release.
    Yeah, Iowa City may be one of the worst places for fighters on Earth given what you would think it would be. People just play shooters. Most of us are located in Des Moines. We have monthly tournaments and we are always traveling (or at least I am). Get in contact with me if you want to know more or if you can make it over here, I can ferry you to a further tourney.
    ngamer3k wrote: »
    Yeah, Iowa City may be one of the worst places for fighters on Earth given what you would think it would be. People just play shooters. Most of us are located in Des Moines. We have monthly tournaments and we are always traveling (or at least I am). Get in contact with me if you want to know more or if you can make it over here, I can ferry you to a further tourney.

Where can I find more information or how do I get in contact with you??
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
    Send me a pm. There's also our group on FB. https://www.facebook.com/groups/the29thchamber/

My name is Blake.
    PM sent.
    MF|FreeceTyLe
    Makoto | MSS

Yo...Holla!
  • ClonedpickleClonedpickle Joined: Posts: 284
    I know everyone hates playing online but was wondering if anyone wants to help me train with my Wright/Haggar(Think of replacing him with dante)/Doom team for UMVC3. Can't really make it out to tournaments sadly I try to..even tho I still somewhat suck..D:
    PSN:Clonedpickle
    UMVC3:PW/Haggar/Dr.Doom - PW/Spencer/Dr.Doom
    SFV: Mika
    Injustice tournament anyone????
    edited May 2013
    Anyone still looking for a room at UFGT, send me a message.
    Post edited by DTJB on