6496823807_31bac1460b_z.jpg

PTH Components soldered up
6496824901_025bab1895_z.jpg

Programming the chip with the USB Bootloader
6505844257_ac4877625b_z.jpg

Using the Configurator via USB ONLY!
6505845761_f4bea51819_z.jpg

Spoiler:
Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
·

Comments

• 32teeth32teeth Joined: Posts: 831
    all your downloads are here
    Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
    ·
  • purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod sensei Joined: Posts: 955
    Go sparky! I will post pics of my build tonight hopefully.

One feature request for the default software (until i can get time to sit down and get my hands dirty with code)... LEDs should have a nice blink pattern (vegas billboard style) that plays on startup, and stops once a button is pressed (where the behavior goes back to its original button press lightup behavior).

Perhaps in the final release, select + button can be used to choose a mode.. i.e., solid lights, button press lightup, patterns, etc...
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    Arc-Eye 3 LEDs: http://goo.gl/BlNQc
    ·
  • Mufasa2Mufasa2 Noob in Training Joined: Posts: 925
    -applauds- great work 32teeth.....this is great because i am trying out the toodles led board and the masterstrike.....can i add this one to my testing for sticks? where and how can i get one sir?
    ·
    -applauds- great work 32teeth.....this is great because i am trying out the toodles led board and the masterstrike.....can i add this one to my testing for sticks? where and how can i get one sir?

PM me with your email

@purplearms
    currently the start up plays the color pattern you set once then starts to listen for input. but i like the recommendation
    ·
  • ShinMessiahShinMessiah Dreams -> Knytemarez Joined: Posts: 303
    awesome, rad, and magnificent! really looking forward to get my hand on both sparky and jr variants. in kno in the other thread we discussed pricing and stuff, which is really a great value, but when are these ready to ship out? hopefully by next week :) if its possible could you please post the pitch between the main connectors and the R G B at the top (those look a bit further apart)? screws terminals are nice, but since im making ribbons/headers/connectors for everything else i would like to be consistent :) also nice new program! its come a long way from the other programs been demoing great stuff!
    Shao Khan: You kno this child is not mine!
    Shang Tsung: Do not unload your children on me!
    ·
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 32teeth, can't wait to see this implemented further!

btw, what are you using to view that final overlay of the board? It looks really nice like that
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    So like, I want one of these.
    What to do?
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    PM me with your email

PMed sir
    ·
    So like, I want one of these.
    What to do?

i have another batch coming in a week or so.
    PM me your email and i will let you know when they are in. will be mailing out a few eval boards
    ·
    nice updates. anxious to get me hands on her....or him....since its jr. lol
    ·
    curious on any future thoughts you have 32teeth
    ·
  • v.wuv.wu Joined: Posts: 9
    Really Cool Mod

Nice mod, man

Wondering how to mod a ps3 joystick like that, don't really understand the concepts behind it. btw, what language is the code in?

cheers
    ·
    very nice sir. i replied to your email btw bro. i know some C, C++, and C#. very little java but its similar to C# and a few other languages but im rusty since it's been awhile
    ·
    flying cars!

drools...wow this is going to be a great top to bottom solution! so as i am understanding it, the boards that you currently have in stock, or getting shortly (jr.) are limited quantity pre-production pcbs? with bigger quantity production pcbs coming down the pipe in the not to distant future?
    ·
    @ShinMessiah yes an no
    there are actually 2 runs of the Sparky Jr, one should be here soon. The second (in picture in first post) will be the next few weeks.
    the only differences is that the original Sparky Jr has the additional onboard LEDs (Power, Reset, TX, RX) and 4 resistors.

We are working in tandem to deliver another iteration of the Sparky. Most likely a Sparky Sr board. LOL more details on that as we work it out.
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,861 mod
    Ugh, perfect timing, right after I ordered my Masterstrike (well, technically Spenzalii ordered it).
    ·
    Ugh, perfect timing, right after I ordered my Masterstrike (well, technically Spenzalii ordered it).

The devices don't conflict. you can use the masterstrike to power the sparky.
    i have a few masterstrikes at home.

Purplearms (who works 2 blocks over) and I have ongoing conversations. So there is definitely advice and suggestions coming from the rest of the folks involved with Masterstrike, DualStrike and such.
    ·
    wow. didnt know purplearms was near u. thats pretty sweet
    ·
    @ShinMessiah yes an no
    there are actually 2 runs of the Sparky Jr, one should be here soon. The second (in picture in first post) will be the next few weeks.
    the only differences is that the original Sparky Jr has the additional onboard LEDs (Power, Reset, TX, RX) and 4 resistors.

We are working in tandem to deliver another iteration of the Sparky. Most likely a Sparky Sr board. LOL more details on that as we work it out.

great more options!! but now im torn :( was gonna order a spark and jr next week, but now with a possible senior in the mix, im not sure. i kno you guys are still discussing stuff, but you would stay that sr. if closer to the sparky or jr.? that way i can get at least one at wait to order another one :)
    ·
    sparky sr is a long way out and ambitious. it will be a consolidation of ideas over drinks this weekend.
    ·
    wow. didnt know purplearms was near u. thats pretty sweet

yeah its real convenient.. lol.. just found a few bugs tonite and gonna return some atmega328s tomorrow ;)
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    ·
    sparky sr is a long way out and ambitious. it will be a consolidation of ideas over drinks this weekend.

sounds good...i going to pm you :)
    ·
    yeah its real convenient.. lol.. just found a few bugs tonite and gonna return some atmega328s tomorrow ;)

ew, bugs! i prefer to call them undocumented features :P

@purplearms. i will bring my laptop and arduino tomorrow night so we can do on the fly programming LOL
    ·
    undocumented features LOL. i have to use that one sometime.
    ·
    anything new lately guys?
    ·
    sexy.. now u just need some kind of usb header and bootloader to interface/update it like dualstrike's config editor :D

maybe even a 4066N.. usb cable goes to that first, then one set of d+ d- to the atmega328, and the second set to teasy strike..
    ·
    anything new lately guys?

I tested sparky on my megatron stick.. the arc-eyes were all common anode.. and the code would freeze or reset intermittently.. common ground might be a better solution.. time to re-solder and try again.. i'll wait for sparky jr to come in so i can help beta test it when i return from getting hitched on oct 19 :D
    ·
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭✭
    sexy.. now u just need some kind of usb header and bootloader to interface/update it like dualstrike's config editor :D

maybe even a 4066N.. usb cable goes to that first, then one set of d+ d- to the atmega328, and the second set to teasy strike..

This is what my #1 suggestion would be. The ability to change things at any point with the simple use of a bootloader would rock faces. An integrated 4066 to switch from normal operation to LED config would be the icing on the cake :tup:
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    ·
  • TheRealNeoGeoTheRealNeoGeo Arcadeparts Joined: Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭
    Someone have a video tutorial for this PCB (just showing when it is used)?
    Would love to see it in action. Amazing work.
    ·
    Someone have a video tutorial for this PCB (just showing when it is used)?
    Would love to see it in action. Amazing work.

Will get one up as soon as i have the new boards in hand.
    If you are familiar with the Arduino development environment you can see a video of the Arduino Shield version (Sparky Shield) running the test pattern below

·
    nice nice, looks like the software solution is coming along nicely :) i was curious, could i do a simpler setup with this....like have all the buttons on power up always stay one color (red), and change color (blue) on button press for example?

one a side note, but still slightly related...what do you guys think about the new arduino uno boards? they say they are backward compatible with existing solutions....or should i just get the duemilanove?

This is what I would need to program the sparky family correct? the ftdi pins/header/cable is 6 pins right and would plug into arduino board via the 6 pins labled power (reset, 3.3v [3V3?], 5v, ground and vin) on the lower right portion of the arduino board? or do they plugin the to analog pins, just right of those? or the group of 2x3 pins labled icsp? lol sorry im lost a lil and trying figure out exactly what i need....and since ill be making alot of cable harnesses for everything else in my stick, might as well keep it consistent :)
    ·
    one a side note, but still slightly related...what do you guys think about the new arduino uno boards? they say they are backward compatible with existing solutions....or should i just get the duemilanove?

The new Uno is amazing. Same price as Duemilanove!!! They got rid of the FTDI IC and Replaced with an Atmega8U i believe.
    The software is backwards compatible. Using 019 to write the code. Processing for the interface. Everything but the main IC (Atmega328) is now SMD.
    ·
    cant wait....keep up the great work 32teeth and purplearms and everyone else involved.
    ·
    Sparky Jr, in hand and testing

The first batch. With and without ground/vcc planes came in the mail today. As did my digikey order!

Here is the first glimpse of the Sparky Jr.
    note: This one has the onboard LEDs (Rev 2 in mail now doesn't and the foot print is that much smaller). Also, no via's for remote reset.

the bare board
    5031609467_d5f468c751_z.jpg

size comparison to Sparky
    5032243658_4ddc7ee252_z.jpg

that's the Dual Strike version 1 in the background
    5031627503_bcd10c19a7_z.jpg

top side
    5032281110_a909712766_z.jpg

the underbelly
    5032271070_250b8e8528_z.jpg

eeerie glow
    note: the onboard LED are gone from the official release. too friggen bright, unless you have a clear acrylic bottom. then it's cool
    5031641267_d20d35f154_z.jpg

oh noes, whats this
    looks like Sparky Jr has a Shield of some sorts!!!
    5031617673_7808535351_z.jpg

in action
    ·
    awesome! very nice pics, and smd jr shield ftw!

nevermind all the ftdi questions, i answered them all myself :)
    ·
    once i have fully tested this version, it's open to testers.
    i have a few earmarked, and a few i am mailing out.
    ·
    that is looking very sick sir.
    ·
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in playing around with the sparky jr boards. How may I get to partake in the fun?
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    ·
    I'm interested in playing around with the sparky jr boards. How may I get to partake in the fun?

PM me
    ·
  • Fenrir171Fenrir171 c.fp abuser Joined: Posts: 386
    i am as well... what can i do?

Fenrir of Desert Sky
    Live by the sword, die by the gun.
    {Modern reindition translating too: "Where's the honor?"}

My goal in life? To somehow get on Azrael-samas Words of Wisdom Page...
    Originally posted by RoninChaos
    I GET AROUND, SIR, I CANNOT LIE.
    Originally posted by ViciousSLASH
    They were getting all fucked up and then pow , Optimus Prime comes and he has the touch , AND THE POWER. Does some flips and blows everyone up.

God bless you optimus prime.

<@RoninC> Anyway, I'm (at a certian part in a book). So don't blow nothin' for me.
    [3:00am] <@RoninC> ..except these nuts, bitches!
    ·
    Don't forget about me 32teeth XP
    Just been reviewing the code on the link you posted. pretty solid and nice. have yet to try and run it, just looking and taking notes
    ·
    Don't forget about me 32teeth XP
    Just been reviewing the code on the link you posted. pretty solid and nice. have yet to try and run it, just looking and taking notes

i will be mailing them out tomorrow for those who wanted unassembled.
    ·
    finally got off my lazy ass. removed the old sparky and replaced it with a jr.
    this is the one with the onboard LEDs. ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!!

5046994617_838418b1d1_z.jpg
    the wires have not been ziipped tied or cleaned up yet, but even at this stage
    it's 10x cleaner than the old install.

compare it to the old install
    5008256442_277bd9f26f_z.jpg

close up
    5046990339_4632ff3658_z.jpg
    ·
    slick indeed sir.
    ·
    that looks so bad ass....also soldering the headers underneath the way you did, is like slightly genius....worked out real well everything looks real nice :)

are you still using the swiss pins? because the femaie headers look square to me are they compatible? are the pitch standard 0.1" for the headers? where do you got "E" plugged into? im guessing usb for vcc or ground, but then i kno you had installed a ftdi header on your case so but now its not in the new pics so i dont kno lol >:|
    ·
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm... me likey. Just need to get this blasted AVR programmer to work right
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
    ·
    Hmmmm... me likey. Just need to get this blasted AVR programmer to work right

which one are you using? im thinking about this one or this one for sparky.... I think 32teeth uses the first one.

Or are you still talking about the one you were having problems with trying to program the Masterstrike with? If thas the case i thinks you may need a different programmer for sparky. The AVR uses a 6pin ISP interface while the one 32teeth uses has a 6pin FTDI interface. To be quite honest, im not sure they are compatible. But now that question has been raised im sure it will be clarified :)

and while im at it lol, 32teeth I came across this, could I use something like this instead of getting a whole programming board. If yes, then wow that will make my life so much easier AND should be compatible with crazy idea I have for rigging the rj45 with a rotary switch. Shit if even just a 6 pin header wired usb head, I could prolly make that myself, Im almost willing to bet you did something similar to that cable for programming since I noticed the ftdi "port" missing out of the case and that set of wires running from the sprky jr around and up to the general area of where the usb port would be...or I could be completely wrong altogether.
    ·
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    I have this one. When I tried to flash my Masterstrike, it just wasn't working for me. Fortunately, it didn't matter in the end so I didn't press on trying to get it to work
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
    ·
    @Shin yes you could use a ftdi cable but I believe you will need to change the driver settings
    The USB bub uses dtr while cable uses rts for resetting. You can simply go to your com drivers settings and go to advanced then click the checkbox for reset on close and it's done

I am on a project this week in NYC and will reply more in depth on the weekend

Also visiting video games NYC and planning to visit china town arcade to hunt down some players LOL
    ·
    LOL. thats pretty cool. enjoy the NY sites....i've only been there once or twice. quesiton 32teeth. I see in the code and everything all the displays and modes but will there be a option to turn off the leds at will/command in the future? i could have missed it in the code though. i went through it then just browse and poke
    ·