One Piece Thread: Gear 2nd!

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think it would have sucked if Sabo out off nowhere came to save the day.It would have been such a cheap "gotcha in the nick of time" moment.
    This is offensive.
    Further, I hate Sabo. I really do. I just don't get why add him in. The bond between Ace and Luffy was deep enough. We don't even learn about Sabo until AFTER Marineford which is weird to me. You'd think the brothers would reminisce about someone they considered family. His character is alright but just unnecessary. I looked forward to Luffy traveling the world truly alone after Ace's death and got this shit.

He's really the only character that comes to mind I wish didn't exist.
    This is offensive.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,121
    Mind blown
    JOSERUFUS wrote: »
    What if scenario from Oda

https://mobile.twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/882625199312482304?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Cover for Ace novel as well I believe, if you scroll down.

The feeeeeeeeels
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,473
    I wonder how many other pages Oda has like that... What other swerves did he decide against after illustrating them?

That man's brain can't have room for anything else but OP at this point.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    I need a hit, Oda!
    This is offensive.
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,294
    edited July 6
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I wonder how many other pages Oda has like that... What other swerves did he decide against after illustrating them?

That man's brain can't have room for anything else but OP at this point.

Forgot to mention there's 3 parts to that what if. Not sure if it still focuses on the war or other scenario.

Like what if Kuzan beat akainu
    MVC2: CABLEFIEND - IRON MAN/SENTINEL/CABLE SSF4: AKUMA/RUFUS
    "I HATE MSP PLAYERS THEY JUST SPAM LK"
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,294
    JOSERUFUS wrote: »

Just like a dealer, doesn't show up until I'm crying for more.
    This is offensive.
    Damn, they were all bodied like it was no thing.

Oda is going to need some special kind of story-telling prowess in order to avoid any more power creep.
    This is offensive.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,121
    New world is serious business. Straw hats just getting bodied left and right. They're so lucky the tametabako or wtvr just blew up lol
    The Germa 66, two of the strongest Straw Hats, and the Firetank pirates all got rekt by Big Mom's crew.

She was right to laugh at Luffy when he was talking shit about defeating Kaido. Luffy got worn out after just one punch. Big Mom is barely even trying. I hope that when they get to Wano all his crew is dead.
    This is offensive.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,616
    Well, they're both out numbered and out muscled, so the conclusion was basically forgone for everyone not straight up running away. Wish we'd actually gotten to SEE more of the action though.

Glad the whole Tamatebako thing was well established though, keeps the possibility of getting away in the ensuing chaos from feeling like an ass-pull.

Liked the Stussy reveal, btw. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Strawhats and co. getting massacred, as it should be. Big Mom crew clearly showing that there's levels to this shit.

I gotta give it to Luffy for at least being able to momentarily clash with Big Mom before being wiped out by fatigue. Dude is running on what, 1-2 hours of sleep?

CP-Aegis 0 Stussy with that Sniper Wolf shot. Considering how casually and stealthily she did it the CP-0 group must be on a whole other level compared to CP-9. Only Lucci could propel his Shigan and that was only in his Zoan form.

I like how Big mom clearly mentions Kaido being a "Thing". This further bolsters my confidence in Kaido being an object that ate a Devil Fruit, with my guess still being that it's a poneglyph.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Ehhhh, that sounds like one hell of a stretch. I think she said that because he's so tough he must not be human.

He got his only wound from White Beard, right?
    This is offensive.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    Luffy got worn out after just one punch. Big Mom is barely even trying.

I *think* that was Oda giving a nod to Luffy still being basically exhausted.
    How? Luffy ate tons of meat, drank lots of milk, and actually slept. He should be fine.
    This is offensive.
    How? Luffy ate tons of meat, drank lots of milk, and actually slept. He should be fine.

Mostly because we have already been shown he can go longer than that in Gear 4, and he was worn out after the single clash rather than severely damaged.
    I credited that to him not being strong enough to make Big Mom even try.
    This is offensive.
    I credited that to him not being strong enough to make Big Mom even try.

I can see that angle, but it sort of implies he was holding something back against Cracker and Doffy, which I can't really buy.

I think fresh Luffy can throw at least a few haymakers, and if it were all down to Big Mom's strength when she blocked we would have seen him KO'd.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kaido is the titled "The Strongest Creature in the World". Considering he looks human but still being referred to as a "creature" or "thing" is rather telling that he's not just some metahuman or exotic race, since Oda's done a decent job making us aware of the different races. Also if his title was just based on his might, then Big Mom's nigh indestructibility, monstrous size, and ridiculous power she should be considered a beast/creature/thing in her own right, but she doesn't get that label. So it's clear that Oda's painting a different picture with the whole Beast Pirates motif and Kaido's extreme affinity for all things Zoan.

All of the Yonkou, sans maybe Shanks are driven by will that spills into every spectrum of their "brand". We see that with Whitebeard and his "sons", Big Mom and her need to emulate Mother Carmel's supposed "dream", and Kaido and his need to make all his men into faux-Zoans i.e., like himself.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Kaido is the titled "The Strongest Creature in the World". Considering he looks human but still being referred to as a "creature" or "thing" is rather telling that he's not just some metahuman or exotic race, since Oda's done a decent job making us aware of the different races. Also if his title was just based on his might, then Big Mom's nigh indestructibility, monstrous size, and ridiculous power she should be considered a beast/creature/thing in her own right, but she doesn't get that label. So it's clear that Oda's painting a different picture with the whole Beast Pirates motif and Kaido's extreme affinity for all things Zoan.

She's been called a monster by several other people. Just go back in this arc alone and you'll see that a lot of people talk about her as a beast rather than a human. Still, not that long ago Oda made it a point to say she was just a regular human.
    This is offensive.
    He's exhausted. After the dofy fight he slept for 2-3 days. Which was way shorter than his fight with cracker, but we don't know for how long he used gear 4th in that fight.

Either way he'd still get bodied if he was 100%, maybe get in a few more punches on mum

She's been called a monster by several other people. Just go back in this arc alone and you'll see that a lot of people talk about her as a beast rather than a human. Still, not that long ago Oda made it a point to say she was just a regular human.

Yes but that was without major emphasis or an epithet, unlike Kaido who gets called a "Creature" or a "Thing" like in this chapter. Oda is not trying to be blatant so he's just leaving breadcrumbs as to just what Kaido could possible be. He clearly stated that Big Mom was human to quell any theories, but Kaido has been given a lot of buildup in this direction that I find it very unlikely he's just a very strong human.

I mean, I will wait until it's confirmed but to think that he's a thing is a little absurd. We know that items becoming devil fruit eaters was only possible due to Vegapunk and Kaido outdates him. Kaido has been around since Gol D. Roger if I recall correctly. So how would that have happened without Vegapunk?
    This is offensive.
    Kaido's may have been a freak accident or "awoken" due to circumstances unknown. If my poneglyph theory is worth any salt, perhaps he exists to fulfill a certain destiny, unbeknownst to him, and his rampaging is due to being frustrated not knowing what he/it is or where he/it came from. I find it interesting that Kaido's current base is in Wano, where the poneglyph were created centuries ago.

Considering that the nameless civilization that the WG is covering up was highly advanced, with technology capable of destroying the world, it wouldn't surprise me if much of Vegapunk's tech is reimagined from lost Void Century knowledge, and possibly given artifacts provided by WG. Vegapunk is probably endowed with a rare genius ability to deduce the cryptic artifacts and replicate or improve once-lost technology.

The Vinsmoke's technology is likely an offshoot of this lost knowledge as well.

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,461
    edited July 6
    it seems rushed, they didnt show the Dogtooth attack(s) that KOed Ichiji,

it just fast forwarded skipping how Sanji got put down, maybe the anime will show these skirmishes in more detail. instead of cut to the Big Mom pirates, "instant win!" only Judge's fall was shown in detail. its understandable Yonji and Niji getting grabbed and drained almost instantly, but as a whole, they got beaten without detail,
    and even the Big Mom pirates were left out of the action spotlight because it didn't give them room to show off the decisive attacks/techniques that earned them those results.

even Stussy's kill was shown in detail,

and WHERE is the Germa army??????? well maybe that explosion will cause them to investigate, but it's laughably bad how unused the Germa army is at this point, and how unprepared the Vinsmokes were. it's really poor writing how naive a conqueror and scientist like Judge was made to be as if he were a knuckleheaded minion.

well its cool that tamebako thing is collapsing the castle, that can give them escape, as well as signal the Germa army to collide with the Big Mom pirates.

Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    Did you really need to see the fights? They were over in seconds so there's no real need. It's meant to convey how strong they really are.
    This is offensive.
    edited July 6
    Naw, Oda saw we were tired of This arc and is rushing it >.>

Edit** Like how people are pointing out That luffy did the same exact thing that got Ace killed. He also kind of did it against Fuji. Hopefully foreshadowing of him getting killed by Kaido.
    Post edited by JOSERUFUS on
    edited July 6
    Did you really need to see the fights? They were over in seconds so there's no real need. It's meant to convey how strong they really are.

all it would take is a panel or two to show them get wrecked before they are just hanging there out cold. it's anticlimactic skipping the meat of the action that triggers the result seen.

like how lame would it have been if the panels focused on something away from the action, then it turns attention to Judge after the fact that Big Mom hit him with something.

it's so empty how Sanji and Ichiji especially just got beaten offpanel like that, when they were in top shape a couple of seconds ago.
    back then, they showed the pirates that crushed Luffy before capturing him. this event was rushed too much. maybe it did so because the Vinsmoke siblings are not planned to be killed this arc, and they can fight in more detail later, but it's really underutilizing the characters. Dressrosa dedicated more detail to the heavyweight fights with decisive blows witnessed, and Dressrosa had more fighters and fights going on even before its climax, with more detail on how they got defeated.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,381
    Heavyweight? It took an entire city plus two of the strongest young pirates to take down doflamingo. It's best to just wrap this up because the big mom pirates are strong enough to offpanel everybody there.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,640
    So who was it that called the tameto box whatever thing was gonna blow up and wreck the castle to save the day? Also, Big Mom is just too damn much. Even a gear 4th Kong Gun could only clash with one of her Haki infused punches. Also in the panel after she said "Who said you little shits were gonna escape my territory?" Was that her dashing ahead of them and cutting them all off??? If so....I don't see how anyone other than another yonku is fucking with her in a 1v1 fight.
    Watching them vs. Big Mom reminds me of the crew vs. Kuma. They got bopped then, they gonna get bopped now.

As an aside, I'm glad Dogtooth got sorta nerfed. That whole future thing was a bit much and honestly I couldn't see the Straw Hats doing anything to stop that besides the random shit that happened when fighting Enil.
    This is offensive.
    that is a nice catch about Big Mom quick stepping to the other side of their escape route! almost like an instant transmission! xD

Kuma at archipelago intended to warp the crew to safety, Big Mom literally crushed the alliance, well some of them, the others are still "hiding".

oh wait wasn't there another Kuma encounter where they literally crushed the strawhats? was that thriller bark? maybe was something else.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,141
    Crew is in a very bad spot now. If they didn't keep pointing out that box I wouldn't have any hope for them surviving without some BS move. It really does good to see how strong an emperor truly is as well as her crew.

That CP 0 reveal was nice... Heh information manipulator...I'm using that. I'm glad Oda struck a good balance with Gear 4. It took all of it plus his strongest hit to take down Donflamingo. It took an alt ver to wear down and defeat Cracker on a long process. Vs Big Mom one strike does crap to her and isn't fazed.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I've said it before Luffy and crew are no match for big mom yet alone her crew.. so now they will escape and plan to go after kaido then come back for big mom????? the straw hats need another time skip to train lol
    dn3000 wrote: »
    I've said it before Luffy and crew are no match for big mom yet alone her crew.. so now they will escape and plan to go after kaido then come back for big mom????? the straw hats need another time skip to train lol

nuuuuu, there can be shortcuts, though you know actually, a TS would let them grow up more and Luffy can start being more cool like Ace instead of a full time immature kid.

either way, think the battle against Kaido could unlock relevations that can lead to power ups and rise up the tiers faster than any isolated training
    One Piece is already over the halfway point, and there's still a lot of big factions to take down, so they gotta hurry development somehow, cause there's still Kaido, Big Mom, Shanks, Cipher Pol Aigis 0, Admirals, World Govs top 5, Blackbeard, etc.
  • ShinjojinShinjojin The quiet one Joined: Posts: 301
    Alright, here are my quick thoughts about the chapter:

• First off, let me just say that I'm glad that we FINALLY have a female character using the Hardening variation of Armament Haki (unless Viola’s Hierro Lagrima: Mekujira uses that too and if so then my bad). Seriously, what took you so long, Oda?
    • Next, seeing how capable Big Mom is as a fighter is quite a breath of fresh air as she has truly proven her Emperor mantle in this chapter. Honestly, my interest in her has grown quite a bit because of this chapter alone.
    • And finally, I think we can all agree that Stussy being a member of Cp0 is the most surprising twist in this chapter which is a huge plus for me IMO. B)
    • However If there is one major gripe that I have for the chapter is how much of the action is being off-paneled. Come on, Oda! Why you gotta do that with this chapter? :sad:

Overall, I give this chapter a 8/10. ;)
    Currently playing: Nothing at the moment

To One Piece fans:
    Check out my Rokushiki Robin project here: http://goo.gl/W134Uu (UPDATE 4/15/17)
    And the gallery here: http://shinjojin.deviantart.com/gallery/28979731
    Don't forget Luffy has the still latent ability to Hear the voices of all things which once mastered will probably be the impetus to reaching new heights in terms of overall fighting prowess. I'm pretty sure it was primarily this ability that allowed Roger to go through entire Grand Line virtually unimpeded, enemies and all.

• WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,883
    edited July 8
    Yeah, pretty much from the scene you can tell what happened, even with Luffy, Sanji and Reiju, Sanji and Reiju have some sort of substance binding them which is likely the same candy material that completely held the augmented Vinsmoke's in check earlier and in just in this chapter took three to actually break through.

Luffy getting exhausted that quick is a surprise but this may indeed be a non standard, beat the boss arc and closer to Roguetown where they just need to bounce. Fishman surprise seems like it will give them a out but how much remains to be seen, especially since they still out of Big Mom's territory which we have seen is more then just one singular island.

Edit: Also am I the only one that is hoping Pudding joins the crew, maybe not an official member but hangs out for an extended period of time?
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,141
    Pudding will not join. She may run interference but not join. Again you don't reveal a powerful devil fruit and not use it fully.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    No need for a time skip. Luffy gonna recognize he can't beat a Yonko with his current power, unless some how King Kong Gun can actually do damage to a yonko, So he's gonna level up like after he fought kuzan. They also powered up on the trip to enies lobbies, took no more than 3 hours to get there. Trip to wano at least 3 days. Unless he pulls out gear 5th then he's still no match for a yonko 1v1, maybe a commander. Then of course Supernovas vs Kaido.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,021
    affinity wrote: »

Is that Sasukes voice actor??

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yep, sounds like it.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,021
    Might not be exciting, but a pretty necessary chapter to move the story forward.
    I gotta hand it to "Big News" Morgan's even in the face of imminent death he's still all about getting the big scoop.

Big Mom's hungrage couldn't have come at a more fortunate time for the Strawhats, her crew/children will be spending their time trying to calm her down whilst avoiding their souls being eaten alive. Talk about a lucky break.

The reach of Streusen's powers was pretty impressive, I can see that in the grand scheme of things that he's still technically the "First Mate".It's interesting to note that Big Mom found his faux-food less than palatable which is a hint that depending on the materials he turns into food affects the flavor.

Streusen's fruit makes "ingredients", right? Maybe you still have to use them as such to get quality food out of them.

Only matters for quelling Big Mom though. In a fight it doesn't really matter how the whipped cream tastes when he made it out of your lungs.
    Reticently wrote: »
    Streusen's fruit makes "ingredients", right? Maybe you still have to use them as such to get quality food out of them.

Only matters for quelling Big Mom though. In a fight it doesn't really matter how the whipped cream tastes when he made it out of your lungs.

Streusen can only transform inorganic matter, fortunately.