One Piece Thread: Gear 2nd!

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Damn, Big Mom out here doing Hashirama level damage.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    RIP King Baum.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    I like how Nami takes no responsibility in Baum's death. It was completely her fault for involving him against his will.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,222
    Infernoman wrote: »
    Pudding could be a wild card in all this...mainly because after she failed to kill Sanji yet looked jealous at him helping his friends, we don't know which way she could go.

Just read the chapter...I'm sticking to what I said...
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,899
    Nice chapter.
    As much as I personally want Pudding on the ship, I have to wonder, if this isn't part of her acting or not. I am leaning not especially with Katakuri laying in wait at the ship, but you never know. I mean we may have Nami picking up Zeus as a familiar.
    King9999 wrote: »
    RIP King Baum.

He REALLY didn't want to go out in that place. For his fiance sake I still sort of hope he is like Groot and can regrow.

You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,591
    edited August 4
    Is there a spot besides Mangastream? MangaPanda had too much spyware and ads and pop ups when I used to visit it. Not going to let my computer get herpes to read a chapter of OP.
    - :bluu:

Look up Jaimini's Box. They tend to be as fast or faster than Mangastream, too, though different translators, so some different interpretations.
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,558
    it seems combining her conquers haki with her devil fruit abilities can have a ultimate failsafe control mechanism to activate her familars or other living objects
    the seducing woods might have remnants of big moms soul all over which begs the question how many things did she stretch her soul out too?

reminds me of harry potter where Voldemort implanted his soul in various objects
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Marco is top 20, that's a surprise.

R.I.P. King Baum. I get the feeling that King Baum's personality was due to him being given life with Lola's father's soul, which explains how he was able to shake Big Mom's command.

Katakuri has my respect, the dude loves covering all angles. He would've made a great Marine Admiral.

It's almost inconceivable that the Strawhats can hax their way out this now. Even if a "reformed" Pudding and Chiffon quells Big Mom's ravenous fury, there are still 10,000 soldiers at the ready, Katakuri ready to ambush in their very own ship, and an ocean with spy slugs and warships waiting. This escape will be more epic than Impel Down!
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 4
    Marco is top 20, that's a surprise.

Yeah shit tier Marco somehow makes it top 20 lol
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,745
    edited August 4
    Marco's fine, his only problem is that we only get to hear about him when he's up against some of the very toughest people in the world- and at least they all seem to have to take him seriously.
    Post edited by Reticently on
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    edited August 5
    Never thought I'd see the day Nami and Shanks would fall out of the Top 5 in popularity.

So Sanji won over Pudding's heart, huh?

They still all gon die...
    Post edited by po pimpus on
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,303
    Biggest shocker was Brook not being top 10 :(

Was one of big Mum's attack the same one from Little garden that killed the Big fish??
    MVC2: CABLEFIEND - IRON MAN/SENTINEL/CABLE SSF4: AKUMA/RUFUS
    "I HATE MSP PLAYERS THEY JUST SPAM LK"
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,196
    Everyone is gay for Law <3
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
    Bious wrote: »

I think Law has consistently been in the Top Three since he saved Luffy at Marineford.

The travesty that is Brook not making Top Ten at least..
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,543
    edited August 5
    that sure is insane, it sure is gonna be a wild escape

what about the Vinsmokes? their army is country conquerors size. with their cloning tech, a smart faction would have multiple legions of their army, not just the mobile castle they brought to that turf.
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    Mind blown
    po pimpus wrote: »

I think Law has consistently been in the Top Three since he saved Luffy at Marineford.

The travesty that is Brook not making Top Ten at least..

Brooke definitely deserves more with everything he did lately. At least he has one over Marco...
    edited August 5
    of course Brook deserves respect, but remember no matter his deeds, he's still a bag of bones. really lacking in aesthetics. still, doesn't need to be in top voted favorites to still receive respect and praise for their deeds. Brook can be rewarded in greater ways than popularity rankings.
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    Brook is also a better character than at least Cavendish and Boa Hancock. Hell, Cabbage and Rosinante shouldn't be as high as they are... The fact these dudes are ranked higher than Bartolomeo is garbage.

Shout outs to Katakuri and Carrot making their debut on the list as well.
    I got mad respect for Brook now. Until this arc, he's helped but not too greatly. He's got a huge pair after everything he's contributed to so far (if he still had them yo ho ho ho...)
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think characters like Law, Ace, Rosinante remain high on the list because readers like his design, I think a lot of these choices are based on character design rather than on story accomplishments.

Never thought I'd see the day Nami and Shanks would fall out of the Top 5 in popularity.

What funny about the polls is that when I visited Tokyo every Japanese person who was a fan One Piece cited Sanji (men), Chopper (women) or Sanji and Chopper (women) as their favorite character. I'm guessing since I only talked to young adults this fits only a certain demographic. Kids probably alter the poll number being the majority. But it seems with young adults guys want to be Sanji and girls like his suave, yet simping doting behavior. An interesting viewpoint of their society I guess...

Zoro's masculine swordsman warrior type is surprisingly not that cool for Japanese people as it is everywhere else. I guess it's a reflection of a bygone era where popular dudes looked more like Hiroyuki Sanada and less like metrosexual alien vampires.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    edited August 5
    Keep in mind his (Sanji) European Caucasian look helps too eith Japanese women...

(and me who can look like Zoro will probably be too manly and scary for women...) :( :( :( :( :(
    Brook is also a better character than at least Cavendish and Boa Hancock. Hell, Cabbage and Rosinante shouldn't be as high as they are... The fact these dudes are ranked higher than Bartolomeo is garbage.

Shout outs to Katakuri and Carrot making their debut on the list as well.

Bartolomeo looks like garbage. and despite Brook's usefulness, his personality and laughter is annoying as fuck. at least Rosinante changed Law for the better, and saved his life.
    Cavendish is handsome and not so loud (well ok his other side is scary, but that gives him more depth than Brook),
    and everyone would want to be Boa Hancock in One Piece world, any hate and spite she gets is basically jealousy overall.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,044
    edited August 6
    as an aside in the new anime intro it shows a bit about the shichibukai. There seems to be a new fat lady with white beards tache. Any info on that?
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,899

Man these polls usually show how everyone is gay for Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Law, Ace and Sabo, not surprised they are beastie for Chopper but glad Jimbei is right there in the mix of the top ten with him. Also glad at least two of my favorite female characters Nami and Hancock made it into that sausage fest as well. Reiju and Robin being in the top 20 is also nice.

But I still don't quite understand, what is it about Marco that could propel him to the top twenty. The design looks meh to me, his powers were shown to be ineffective as hell as well during Marineford. What drop the Japanese fan base to put him over a favorite like Vivi (who to me Vivi is only serviceable in terms of character and design outside of some emotional moments in the Alabasta arc) or Buggy?

Is it a bird thing? And if so, does that mean Big New Morgan is going to be in the top fifteen next time, because he certainly has contributed as much as Marco did in Marineford in terms of exposition and battle victories.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,303
    as an aside in the new anime intro it shows a bit about the shichibukai. There seems to be a new fat lady with white beards tache. Any info on that?

That's weevil lol

He was introduced between dressrosa and zou arc
    atqusdf9lcez.png
    There much better
    Why do people love carrot so much?
    How the fuck does Marco the Jobber keep ranking so fucking high?

Dude is the Silver Surfer of One Piece, I swear...

Other than that, Western Jump seems to have their priorities straight.
    How the fuck does Marco the Jobber keep ranking so fucking high?

Dude is the Silver Surfer of One Piece, I swear...

Other than that, Western Jump seems to have their priorities straight.

I'm surprised Doflamingo is only #.13, I thought he's be at least top 10 judging by all the fanfare he seems to get in the West. Marco ranking even higher for English speakers at #.17 takes the cake though. He certainly lives up to his ability. lol

Marco: "You can't extinguish the flames of the phoenix! Next stop, top 10 baby!"

lUXvvOx.gif

Marco gets an unfair shake. The dude was Whitebeard's right-hand man. How are you going to judge him as a jobber when he was fighting one of the Navy's strongest people? Shit, even Whitebeard couldn't kill one of them. The dude shows up once and he has to fight three admirals, a vice-admiral who without powers puts foot in asses, and several other obstacles?

Tho if he gets bopped by that porcupine looking dude his jobber status is cemented.
    It's like I said, Marco lost to some big names. He didn't lose to some clowns randomly at sea. I'm not surprised he lost to an admiral when they are on par with the Emperors in terms of strength.
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,558
    marco had to get seastone handcuffs to get beat by kizaru
    other wise they were tied against each other.
    carrot seems so blah lol i have no idea as to why they would like her.
    law is understandable dude has one of the coolest devil fruits and his demeanor is interesting.
    i hope they do a cut over to see all of his and zoros adventures together.
    i thought it was brillant of oda to pair them together.
    Lol I've been defending Marco since Marineford, but I do admit he hasn't been given a good shake plot~wise. Apart from his notable feats clashing with the likes of Kizaru and Akainu, he unfortunately spent a bulk of the arc locked in seastone cuffs by Vice Admirals. I think the expectations of him having a quasi-Logia, ultra-rare, virtually invincible Zoan and Whitebeard's right hand made readers excited as to what he was capable of, which led to their disappointment.

As far as his importance, he protected his crew from being annihilated by Kizaru's lasers, stalled Akainu from murdering both Jinbei and Luffy maintained alliances with Whitebeard's affiliates in opposition to Blackbeard's growing power base.

My surprise regarding his ranking is that I haven't met any OP fan who really shows any positive interest in him. So it's become almost a trend of sorts to belittle his character.

For me, the only disappointment with Marco waswhen Oda revealed later that his Phoenix flames were merely symbolic and couldn't burn things, it was a bit underwhelming.

Marco literally exists to show how powerful other people are. That's the textbook definition of a jobber.

Dude is almost Hody Jones status at this point... When Weevil beats his ass, I want one of y'all to tell me he ain't a jobber then.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,745
    Narratively Marco has been jobbing, though none of his L's have been conclusive.

But those are just the fights we've gotten to see. The guy ranks above any Big Mom lieutenant we've seen fight, and they are no slouches, so he's got to have a lot of throw and a history of wins we haven't gotten to see.
    What was his power level/bounty?
    Lower than 9000.
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    Wait, when did people besides me start to like Brook? He had always been at the bottom, now he's 4?
    Wait, when did people besides me start to like Brook? He had always been at the bottom, now he's 4?

I liked Brook from jump... Dude's first line was asking to see Nami's panties... Instant g-status right there.

Whole Cake arc has been him showing his ass and being a straight-up boss with no fanfare. MVP of the decade just for scooping the ponelglyph rubbings and going toe-to-toe with Big Mom.
    Marcos is like psylocke. Strong and useful units but aren't the strongest but it's okay cuz WB(storm and mag) has your back.
    Brook still got bopped tho.
    edited August 9
    Luffy got bopped by Big Maam free. At least Brook wounded one of her soul buddies before losing.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Manga stream really falling out of favor for releases. They're always behind.
    Raz0r wrote: »

There is no Jump this week. Quit whining.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Raz0r wrote: »

There is no Jump this week. Quit whining.

Never.
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    So apparently the slow down is tied to a push against RAWs again, and well the MAngastream team apparently translating HxH first...which is WAY more dense.
    edited August 11
    Lol HxH... That shit will go into hiatus any minute now with the new Dragon Quest out.