One Piece Thread: Gear 2nd!

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,845 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I want to know why he made that stupid face.
    This is offensive.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,980
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I want to know why he made that stupid face.

Because he knows he's fucked, but wanted to sell his crew on the idea that everything is fine.

The art for his expression was hyperbolic because Oda wanted to convey to the audience that Luffy was being saccharine about his own prospects talking to the crew in that moment.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,737
    that was kinda uncharacteristic. thought Luffy was going Sanji mode or something, like new ability that lets rubber change form to a different person and fighting style or a hybrid of sorts. what a joke.

and there's 10 hours until the cake reunion? the arc might be pushing things. and they still didn't update on Vinsmokes status.
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,604
    Naw, Luffy's face was perfect. That's the face of a rubber guy who's an awful liar doing his very best to appear cheerful through a ton of pain.

Shards were too small to really show much, so I'm guessing the Straw Hats missed that gorgeous visage. Nobody would've been fooled by that expression, really. It's impressive enough for Luffy that he managed to fool some of his crew with his voice.

I am amused that the initial arc layout supposedly had it ending at some point during the summer. Oda being Oda. I don't mind, though, 'cause it's a hella fun arc.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,129
    Only way out I can see for Luffy is if Mochi guy turns out to be some long lost half brother or something or some secret revolutionary (less likely). So Dragon boned Charlotte when she was much younger and prettier and out came this mochi bastard.

Too bad this had to on a break after a kinda meh... chapter.
    We haven't seen the other half of the crew for, what, 18 months?
    This is offensive.
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,511
    Only way out I can see for Luffy is if Mochi guy turns out to be some long lost half brother or something or some secret revolutionary (less likely). So Dragon boned Charlotte when she was much younger and prettier and out came this mochi bastard.

Too bad this had to on a break after a kinda meh... chapter.

That is MY crack theory. Kindly get your own.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,326
    Ohhhhhhhh Luffy put the mirror in his mouth so the others couldn't see him taking the L and he covered his mouth so they wouldn't hear his screams
    MVC2: CABLEFIEND - IRON MAN/SENTINEL/CABLE SSF4: AKUMA/RUFUS
    "I HATE MSP PLAYERS THEY JUST SPAM LK"
    Yeah that was pretty hard to intuit.
    This is offensive.
    Also, Big Mom is way stronger than I even imagined. Putting her soul into inanimate objects is one thing, but to do it to water to create a tidal wave? Shit is nuts.
    This is offensive.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Naw, Luffy's face was perfect. That's the face of a rubber guy who's an awful liar doing his very best to appear cheerful through a ton of pain.

Reminds me of this:

15.png

When Ds face nigh unwinnable odds, all they can do is smile.

Regarding the Wano arc, it would be so awesome if after this arc reaches its conclusion, Oda makes a transitional scene to Wano where we witness the aftermath a bloody battle, with defeated samurai strewn all over the kingdom and Zoro standing amidst the carnage undaunted... only for the grimacing Shogun to appear from the billowing dust as Zoro grins with eagerness. "Finally, someone strong!" All "dramatical" like.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    That one scene reminds me that the government is no better than any pirate. Even under orders, killing innocent people should spark an ounce of morality in these supposed "good guys." That's why I never liked any of them because outside of maybe Garp and Cody, they are all evil themselves but run under the guise of justice.
    This is offensive.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Akainu is the character I hate most in the entire series. His "absolute justice" led to the most abhorrent action I've seen in the series thus far imo. It was a little cathartic seeing Whitebeard quake nuke his ass during the "War of the Best", but I'll only be fully sated if Luffy sends him to a watery grave. Fuck him

Sadly, I know Oda is destined to humanize him, since his brand of justice probably came from some Frank Castle-esque backstory that might involve Jewelry Bonney. Would Oda dare take the uncharted plunge and let Luffy end Sakazuki? That would be an epic milestone.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • HarmoNazHarmoNaz SBO5 Team UK Joined: Posts: 1,397
    Luffy's smile made me sad. First time I ever felt sorry for him. The art was on point.
    SF4 = scrub fighter 4, jab fighter 4, turtle fighter 4, mash fighter 4, down back fighter 4, shite fucker 4. To think a SUPER version is on its way... :crybaby: EDIT - Stop living in a cave - ULTRA version on the way. EDIT - Its dying. 3s standing strong(er)
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,584
    yeah luffy did that as a way to fool his crew but i think that he aint done yet. he also did it for him self as a way to kick himself in the ass he knows he has to get back now because they are are expecting him except jimbe whos face showed that he also knows that luffy is fucked lol.

but I dont care how strong characters in this manga are if theres one thing that changes everything its when luffy has a promise to keep.
    Luffy shouldn't be able to beat Dogtooth. Honestly, he can't even stand against the emperors. Big Mom can legit destroy islands and barely break a sweat. What is Luffy going to do to that?

But I accept that and actually like it. I hate "omg I'm stronger now" bullshit. This manga is WAY better when they make clever ways of handling impossible situations.
    This is offensive.
  • JOSERUFUSJOSERUFUS NICKGOD>RENIQUE STONE COLD STEVE POONGKO Joined: Posts: 1,326
    I wanna see Luffy turn into a huge ball of haki. Katakuri kicks him but Luffy bounces off the wall, as he ricochets off more walls he gets more speed. Katakuri can't predict its path cuz it's a random attack, he can Dodge but eventually the speed gets too fast.
    MVC2: CABLEFIEND - IRON MAN/SENTINEL/CABLE SSF4: AKUMA/RUFUS
    "I HATE MSP PLAYERS THEY JUST SPAM LK"
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I dunno, I thought Luffy might have thought of something with mirrors to either negate some of dogtooths attacks, or maybe get him to attack the mirrors and have him attack big mom? Guess we'll see in a few weeks.
    Something just crossed my mind. Due to the nature of Blackbeard's fruit, when he steals a Devil Fruit ability it might auto-awaken due to his fruit's inherent superiority over other Devil Fruits.

• InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,435
    I know there's a small break but for a moment, I actually thought we would have a chapter this week due to your reply. I hate you :lol:

Are you saying he may get a fruit and auto awaken THAT fruit's abilities? Makes me wonder what is the awakened (or woke as the kids say) state of the Yami Yami no mi? A giant black hole to which he pulls in everything matter?
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    Infernoman wrote: »
    I know there's a small break but for a moment, I actually thought we would have a chapter this week due to your reply. I hate you :lol:

Are you saying he may get a fruit and auto awaken THAT fruit's abilities? Makes me wonder what is the awakened (or woke as the kids say) state of the Yami Yami no mi? A giant black hole to which he pulls in everything matter?

I think the Yami Yami no mi is in its natural state by default and when it absorbs the "essence" of another Devil Fruit it can fully utilize it due to being the primogenitor.

The only way I can see Blackbeard's fruit being anymore "awakened" is if the devil in the fruit completely overtakes him, which I suspect since I've always seen him as a pawn to a higher force.

You guys and these awakened abilities.

I still stand that there are very few other awoken fruits. Like Doflamingo said, the awakened fruit allows the user to affect his surroundings. To this day we haven't seen anyone else besides Doflamingo do that. Zoan are the only ones who are different and I think the only "awakened" one in that category is Marco since he can change just parts of his body instead of having to go full phoenix.
    This is offensive.
    You guys and these awakened abilities.

I still stand that there are very few other awoken fruits. Like Doflamingo said, the awakened fruit allows the user to affect his surroundings. To this day we haven't seen anyone else besides Doflamingo do that. Zoan are the only ones who are different and I think the only "awakened" one in that category is Marco since he can change just parts of his body instead of having to go full phoenix.

My guess is that the devil inside the fruit is what is literally "awakened" and doing so results in a battle of wills with the user's volition at stake. Those awakened Impel Down zoan guards probably lost.

In terms of what the advantage to awakening is, it probably varies by fruit.
    I'm going by this explanation:

Where he explicitly states that the effects of an awakened fruit is to change the surrounding area, not just the user's body. He also mentions it's actually rare af. So I can't believe there are this many "awakened" fruit users just walking around.
    This is offensive.
    I'm going by this explanation:

Where he explicitly states that the effects of an awakened fruit is to change the surrounding area, not just the user's body. He also mentions it's actually rare af. So I can't believe there are this many "awakened" fruit users just walking around.

I don't disagree, except to say that the awakened zoan we have been shown clearly have something else going on besides affecting the surrounding area, and that there are a lot of fruit that seem to affect the surrounding area just fine without any indication of having been awakened.
    Not all Paramecia users produce material like in Doflamingo's case, he's not composed of string he just manipulates it to a high degree. His awakening allows him to then extend that ability to his surroundings. Doflamingo was explaining awakening as it pertains to him, not for all DF users.

Luffy doesn't produce rubber, that's just his natural state, so it wouldn't make sense for him to suddenly make his surroundings rubber. Even if he could evolve into doing something like that, it would probably require direct contact with an object and not just summoning it the way Doffy did.

It was stated in Impel Down that awakened Zoans have heightened regeneration and enhanced strength, but once in that state the user completely loses their personality (although I'm sure that can be overcome through training like with Monster Chopper).

Although not explicitly stated the dueling Admirals have displayed Logia abilities that appear awakened due to being able to permanently alter their environment.

It makes sense for the top pirates and Marines in the world to have awakened abilities, so while it may be rare, due to the quest the Mugiwaras are undertaking, the exposure to users of this caliber will be greater. Same with Conquerors Haki, which is a once in million ability that so far several characters have shown or mentioned using.

• DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,383
    New chapter out. On mobile can't post, but it's it's on mangastream.
    Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker
  • HarmoNazHarmoNaz SBO5 Team UK Joined: Posts: 1,397
    Last time I was hype for a chapter was after Kuma seperated the crew.
    Anyway, interesting chapter but not what I was waiting for...
    SF4 = scrub fighter 4, jab fighter 4, turtle fighter 4, mash fighter 4, down back fighter 4, shite fucker 4. To think a SUPER version is on its way... :crybaby: EDIT - Stop living in a cave - ULTRA version on the way. EDIT - Its dying. 3s standing strong(er)
    Ah so Big Mom put a spirit in Perospero's candy slug which was big enough to create a tsunami with its mass. So she can put souls into the constructs of other DF users, that's interesting...
    I'm impressed that Luffy is able to dodge twice over to avoid Katakuri's "Future Sight", I'm hoping that Oda explains the formula of how Observation haki users interact with each other, since Sanji was the only other character able to dodge Dogtooth's attacks as well.

Speaking of Katakuri, what a guy. The dude has been winning since he came out the womb. I guess his level of haki awareness was a gift and not something he had to train for, judging by his backstory. And now that his awakening is confirmed, I can't wait for Luffy to realize his next stage of evolution. What could've caused his facial scars if he's undefeated though? Hmm...

Germa 66 on that "enemy of my enemy is my friend" ish now. I kind wanted to see them crushed into oblivion, but whatevs.

I had an epiphany regarding the cover page stories from a few months back. I was so blind to the stuff happening with Bartolomeo that I forgot about his alliance with Luffy means that him destroying Shanks' flag is essentially the Strawhats declaring war on the Red-Haired Pirates by proxy. The Red-Haired Pirates will probably retaliate against Bartolomeo and knowing Luffy he'll double down and defend Bart's dumbass decision thus creating further conflict. Oda's setting up the framework quite nicely.

Man, Dogtooth is too good. He needs to finally kill Luffy so Zoro can take over the crew.
    This is offensive.
    I guess we can expect anybody above the scrub level with a Devil Fruit to be Awakened now, the power creep seems to be setting in.

If Magellan or Cesar had been Awakened, they'd probably just auto win fights.
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,364
    Man, Dogtooth is too good. He needs to finally kill Luffy so Zoro can take over the crew.

would he be there...i am sure he would be able to beat dog while luffy struggles like shit but he didi not even really tried to fight back with his different forms.
    same as he would have been able to free the ship or get rid of that wave....why did they split back then? cant remember it anymore.
    The other half of the Straw Hats are in Wano.
    This is offensive.
    edited October 20
    Reticently wrote: »
    If Magellan or Cesar had been Awakened, they'd probably just auto win fights.

I've had a feeling that Magellan might already be due to the effects caused by his trump card:

• appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,364
    yeah, i know but what was the reason?
    Because there was a rebellion caused by shogun and Kaido. Momo asked the Straw Hats for help taking back his country as he is the ruler.

Also, as today showed, awakened DF changes the environment around them. Just like Doflamingo said. That's what Dogtooth did to change the floor to mochi. From what I can tell, Magellin's poison monster came out of him not from the area surrounding him.

Power creep be real tho. Shame.
    This is offensive.

Venom Demon's poison spreads like an infection, poisoning everything. This is what I was referring to, not creature itself. That said, I'm only speculating, but I found it interesting that awakened fruits were first mentioned in this very arc.

• King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I read a comment asking how Dogtooth's DF is awakened when he's supposed to be a Logia. My questions are:

1. Can Logias not have an awakened form?
    2. If #1 is true, then does that mean Dogtooth's ability was retconned? I'm pretty sure it was stated that his DF is Logia.
    appomo wrote: »
    yeah, i know but what was the reason?

They went to Wano to take on Kaidou.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,511
    I think they made his fruit a Paramecia.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.