Ggpo help and questions

SG10xSG10x Blanka SucksJoined: Posts: 402
Hey guys I am thinking about getting GGPO. Does it work on a Macbook Pro though? I am not sure if the program runs on OSX. Also where can I find the two rom's needed to play ST?

Also I have a Hori Xbox 360 stick, can I just plug that into my usb port and play like that or will I have to get and extra device?

Comments

• geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    Use the dual boot option in OSX called 'bootcamp' to boot into Windows XP. You'll need to buy a copy of XP but it isn't that expensive. Don't bother trying to run XP in a virtual machine like VMWare - GGPO crashes (at least, that has been my experience). Your Xbox stick should work fine.
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    just go to the world's most popular home page and ask
    ssf2t.zip
    ssf2.zip

You need to configure your internet router to forward UDP ports 6000-6009 to your computer, if you want to initiate the challenge to the other guy. you can still play by accepting other's challenge, if you don't have the port forwarded.

if you are living in a dorm, talk to your administrator and tell him you need to run a fast paced internet chess program :)

i actually have ggpo running in vmware windows xp and it seems fine (i use it for spec only), cannot guarantee whether there are extra lags running it inside vmware though. xp can be had pretty cheap on ebay and elsewhere

btw, do not download the latest version of adobe air, it has a bug messing up the chat windows.

use this one instead

http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_air/download/364838b66fa318dd909e17147cdc2678/
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    I could have sworn we played on there b4. Isn't your name Antonio ? Or am I confusing you with another Blanka player ?
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • SG10xSG10x Blanka Sucks Joined: Posts: 402
    I could have sworn we played on there b4. Isn't your name Antonio ? Or am I confusing you with another Blanka player ?

Yeah in undergrad, I would play at my friends house every once in a blue moon usually after a night of drinking I would jump on and mess around. My name was Sg10x on there. I used to play on Mongolorobokops account sometimes too, but hardly ever. I probably won't install it seems like too much of a hassle and I have hardly any time to play.
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    Yeah in undergrad, I would play at my friends house every once in a blue moon usually after a night of drinking I would jump on and mess around.

lol that would explain the chants of "bring it if you think you are good" in the lobby lol.
    I probably won't install it seems like too much of a hassle and I have hardly any time to play.

Thats a shame. Hope you change your mind.
    Haha yeah, I had played so many boring people so I figured if I called people out they would come full force. Pero ya veremos quien es el mejor de Mexico luego no?
    haha bet that shit! Tell you what. Let me know so I can have a bottle of Tequila ready and we'll play for shots lol. Sound good to you ? Best of 3 for the whole set and after every three loser takes a drink lol. Hell I might just throw the matches lol.
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Lamentablemente no sé nada acerca de Mac para ayudarte pero tengo un mensaje bluetallcans:
    Hombre que bueno que vas para ggpo!, te veo allá, lamentablemente le perdi el sabor al HD Remix y mi estadia en XBL fue corta es bueno saber que un amigo que conoci en XBL se nos une en GGPO.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
    It seems that howard and rambo's weekly stream attracted some new players to this game but they have no idea how to setup and play. So I make an idiot's guide to setting up ggpo.

Feel free to refer new players to this post

1. Register a ggpo account (you need an email address to receive confirmation to activate your account)

GGPO.net • User Control Panel • Register

2. Download and install adobe air 1.5 (latest version is buggy)

Download Adobe Air 1.5.3.9130 - Download - FileHippo.com

3. Download ggpo client

http://ggpo.net/ggpo-build-030.zip

unzip ggpo to the following location

C:\Program Files\GGPO\

(note if you have old ggpo version installed previously, first delete everything inside C:\Program Files\GGPO\ except the "roms" folder)

4. Create a subdirectory "roms"

5. Google search
    ssf2t.zip
    ssf2.zip

you should be able to find the links easily. Download and save the files to

C:\Program Files\GGPO\roms\

ggpo is different than XBL/PSN HDR. There is only a single room and everyone playing ST is in that room.

In order to start a game, you need to initiate a challenge to others (or accept other's challenge).

In the first scenario you need port forwarding while the latter does not. So if step 6 is a bit overwhelming for you. skip it now, you can still play by accepting challenge (just ask other people in the chat room to challenge you).

6. If you are connecting to the internet with a router, you need to configure your port forwarding to initiate a challenge.

You need to forward UDP ports 6000-6009 to your computer.

Just go to this website and select your router?s brand and model, and it will walk you through how to configure it

PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model

7. Connect your pad or stick to your pc and go to control panel > game controllers > properties to verify that your pad / stick is working.

8. Start ggpo. Login with the username and password you created with step 1

If windows ask whether you want to allow ggpo access the internet (windows firewall), click ?allow?.

On the left menu click on super street fighter ii turbo

menu1q.png

On the right menu, the list of player available is at the top. Click on the name and click the ?challenge? button at the top.

ch1v.png

When the server is busy, it usually takes more than one challenge to connect. In that case, just click cancel challenge and click challenge again and repeat. It will send multiple challenges to the other guy.

ch2l.png

If you are on the receiving side of the challenges, just accept one by one and see if you can get at least one connection established.

8. The first time you get it going, you need to configure your buttons first

Click on the game menu and click on map input

screenshotbj.png

Go through all the input and double click on the ?mapped to? column, trigger your joystick/pad?s corresponding button for each input.

map2e.png

How to fix input lag
    If you are on windows 7 or vista, you might experience dreaded input delay.

Method 1
    Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects > Adjust for best performance

Method 2 (courtesy of cigarbob)
    Right click on your desktop and select Personalize
    Change your theme to the Windows Classic version under Basic High Contrast Themes.

Now you?re done and can start playing.

Advanced stuff:

1. If your video card is decent, you should enable enhanced blitter, it makes ST looks very pretty.

screenshotno.png

I suspect a player is using turbo, how do I know for sure?

Use a program called input watcher to see what buttons he's pressing.

http://www.2shared.com/file/vnKK0c8S/Input_Watch.html?

GGPO known issues and quirks

When you challenge a user and receive a error message "User is not registered", you need to tell the other guy to exit ggpo and re-login.

* If you really hate the chat room in ggpo and just want to play, you can disable the chatroom by setting the text color same as the background color

Go to option > appearance > text color and set it to #EDF1F2
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    It's a bit of work to setup GGPO but it's definitely worth it. Lots of great competition on there at all times of the day from all over the world.

Do it BTC! :)
    Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
    i actually have ggpo running in vmware windows xp and it seems fine (i use it for spec only)

So, Mac OS X with VMware and XP running inside VMWare? And everything works fine?
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
    i have vmware workstation 7 running on a thinkpad
    Ah ok, what didn't work for me was VMWare running inside OS X.
  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 565
    BLUETALLCANS!
    i just got on GGPO and i love it! im looking forward to playing you again as i have stopped using XBL.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Yeah in undergrad, I would play at my friends house every once in a blue moon usually after a night of drinking I would jump on and mess around. My name was Sg10x on there.
    Then I think there is someone impersonating you in there, cos I could swear I have seen the BlueTallCans nick on GGPO.
  • LethargyLethargy Joined: Posts: 127
    So the main problem I'm having with GGPO is that I can't even get a reply email to activate my account. I've tried 3 different email addresses, and when I sign up and it says go to email to activate my account, I never get an email to activate. This essentially sticks me in limbo, since when I go onto the GGPO forums to try and find out or ask about my problem, I need to be a member to post, and I can't be a member without clicking the link in my activation email... which I've never gotten at any time with any email address I've tried.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, whatever, as to what I can do to get this thing working? It's been almost a year at this point on and off that I've tried to get this thing up and running with no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I posted the bug report on your behalf. If you can provide the usernames that you registered with, I can add that info to that post

GGPO.net • View topic - never receive confirmation email. cannot activate account

BTW, I have the same problem on

www.neo-geo.com

If someone has an account there, could you please post a similar bug report and feature enhancement request for me (link to click and resend confirmation email)

My account (papasi) onwww.neo-geo.com is created and I can login and view my profile, etc

But I cannot post so I missed out a lot of for sales already (ST board and super gun)

Thanks in advance
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    So the main problem I'm having with GGPO is that I can't even get a reply email to activate my account. I've tried 3 different email addresses, and when I sign up and it says go to email to activate my account, I never get an email to activate.
    Send Ponder a message on SRK and see if he can manually send you the confirmation link.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    Wait so do I have to get some program on my Mac bookpro in addition to GGPO to be able to play. Like some Windows converter or what?

Not me on GGPO now by the way
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    Wait so do I have to get some program on my Mac bookpro in addition to GGPO to be able to play. Like some Windows converter or what?

Not me on GGPO now by the way

People are suggesting you get a program that allows you to create a "virtual" computer on your Mac that will run windows.
    So basically you are running a computer inside your computer that runs windows and then using that virtual machine to Run GGPO.

It's basically the simplest way of changing OS without having to switch OS.
    I did the same when i ran Ubuntu on my desktop.

This is how it looks:

parrellsvirtualization.jpg

So what you need is a Virtual-Machine Software and a Copy of Windows.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    So what you need is a Virtual-Machine Software and a Copy of Windows.

I did see a Sharizord with a Sweden flag sometime ago on ggpo. Is that you logging in from vmware xp running on mac osx? That actually works ? (playing). That was geo's question.

SG10x, you can also look at bootcamp

Apple - Support - Boot Camp

check your pm. If you need help obtaining xp and getting it installed, let me know.
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    It was me.

But i'm not on a Mac.

It works on Ubuntu so i'm fairly sure it should work on Mac.

Edit: I used VirtualBox
    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    Saw this on the front page thread

MacOSX users can try it out, there is a free trial on the website.

I've got GGPO running on my macbook in snow leo.

Installed using CrossOver Games. It works great for me.

Windows Games Seamlessly Integrated on Mac or Linux - Mac Windows Games, Linux Windows Games - CodeWeavers
  • Alcedes28Alcedes28 Joined: Posts: 8
    Mapping inputs to a single stick

When mapping the inputs for your stick, do you map both P1 and P2 to the same stick?
    I'm having weird issues where a diagonal direction aint working while playing a game, but when i test it under control panel, it seems to be triggering fine. Ideas on where to look? Thanks.
    No, just map p1 buttons.

You can challenge yourself to test it out or run

C:\Program Files\GGPO\ggpofba.exe

manually. (game menu > load game > select ST)
  • True_Old_SchoolTrue_Old_School Jack of All Trades Joined: Posts: 97
    I have a Mac and use Bootcamp. Bootcamp allows you to run windows and all the newer Macs should have Bootcamp already installed. The only thing you need is a Windows install disc.
  • TiGGeR EuGeNiETiGGeR EuGeNiE Joined: Posts: 8
    So the main problem I'm having with GGPO is that I can't even get a reply email to activate my account. I've tried 3 different email addresses, and when I sign up and it says go to email to activate my account, I never get an email to activate. This essentially sticks me in limbo, since when I go onto the GGPO forums to try and find out or ask about my problem, I need to be a member to post, and I can't be a member without clicking the link in my activation email... which I've never gotten at any time with any email address I've tried.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, whatever, as to what I can do to get this thing working? It's been almost a year at this point on and off that I've tried to get this thing up and running with no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    *Sigh* Same problem here. I tried registering for three different accounts total, and MAYBE the first one got a confirmation email back. Not sure because it's been so long, but I've never made it past the login screen.

The main problem for me is the login screen. So I type in my username and password, but when i'm done and hit enter or click "login," nothing happens. I don't get redirected, no refresh, nothing. The screen just stays exactly the same. I also tried disabling my firewall, still no cigar. =/
    "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."
    ^ yes. ggpo login don't give you feedback (user not activated, bad password, etc)

pm ponder with your ggpo account name and email address, he can probably help activate your account or resend your confirmation email
    ^ Thanks man. Will do. I'll make sure to look for ponder on here and shoot him that PM.
  • I$AACI$AAC did it hurt, baybee? Joined: Posts: 1,180
    ok I got an unusual problem.

I finally got GGPO to work on my PC (I have windows XP home) but the I do not see any text in game (i.e. the in-game chat, palyer1 vs player 2, etc) Anyone else have this problem?

Also is there anyway to improve dropped inputs? Thanks in advance
    Ö£d Σçhòò£ Å┼ Ñööñ
    ok I got an unusual problem.

I finally got GGPO to work on my PC (I have windows XP home) but the I do not see any text in game (i.e. the in-game chat, palyer1 vs player 2, etc) Anyone else have this problem?

lol maan. I could have sworn we've played before too. Anyways, try changing your blitter for the chat prob. Dropped inputs...maybe your stick? dunno there.

edit

I think there is a USB tweak you might wanna google.

Sigh..... nobody reads.

Have you tried this?

http://shoryuken.com/f223/ggpo-help-questions-252916/#post9639287

Method 1
    Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects > Adjust for best performance

Method 2
    Right click on your desktop and select Personalize
    Change your theme to the Windows Classic version under Basic High Contrast Themes.
    ^ Papasi I did, Sorry I was looking to see if there was an alternative other then those options
    Ö£d Σçhòò£ Å┼ Ñööñ
    hmm..... that works for a lot of people including cigarbob and others.

Did that work for you though? Or you still experience a lot of input lag?

Unfortunately unless ponder update the fba client to use the latest source code, there is no other known work around for vista and windows 7
    ok never mind, input lag has been solved.

I'm still having an issue with the In-game chat though
    Ö£d Σçhòò£ Å┼ Ñööñ
  • BattosaiBattosai Joined: Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Love the avatar Dj frijoles its too funny
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    How is the GGPO scene lately???? I haven't been on.....
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    How is the GGPO scene lately???? I haven't been on.....
    It's quite good......just log on and find out.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    Instead of posting here why don't you just follow post #10

http://shoryuken.com/f223/ggpo-help-questions-252916/#post9639287

and say hi to everyone :)
    Hey papasi. Thank you very much for your help so far for me trying to hop on GGPO. You can probably tell how bad I want to get online and play by now and with all these questions. haha

I took your advice like you told me to do so and tried messaging Ponder for registration. One week later, he hasn't messaged me back. I waited like 6 days, and then messaged him again, still no response. =(

So i was wondering if there was any other way I can successfully log in and get on the network besides messaging him. Is there anything else I can do or anyone else I can message so i can activate my account?

Again, I really appreciate the help. Hopefully you can give me more advice though, since that original plan didn't work. Thank you!