Ggpo help and questions

Comments

• papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    Hi TiGGeR EuGeNiE,

I created a new user and I also did not receive the confirmation.

There is a page for resending the confirmation email

GGPO.net • User Control Panel • Send activation e-mail

But somehow it is not working.

Although I'd love to help but I really have no idea. Ponder might be very busy and it seems like ggpo is not a priority for now. Only he can tell.

Another way to get a hold of him is via efnet irc #capcom channel.

If anyone can still create new account successfully, please post here.

[ EDIT : apparently Trigger-Eugenie solved his problem ]
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • TiGGeR EuGeNiETiGGeR EuGeNiE Joined: Posts: 8
    Hey Papasi. Thanks again for the all the help! I'm having a lot of fun on my first day here (and getting my ass kicked by everyone. LOL I guess I've been playing too much SSFIV =/). But yeah. Like we were talking about, I was able to get on thanks to djfrijoles. I owe you guys for all the help. But yeah, im gonna be on here a lot. SSFIIT is crack haha But yeah hopefully that lag spike we were talking about goes away eventually or i figure out something to do about it. :/ But thank you for all the information you gave me about that too.

So thank you very much to papasi and djfrijoles for the help. <3 I really appreciate it you guys helping me out when ponder and whoever was supposed to email me back from ggpo couldn't (life happens though so I'm not mad and I respect it). Let me know if you guys need help w/ anything tho i probably won't be able to do much. haha Oh yeah and sf2>sf4 all day. :)
    "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    newegg I accidently deleted your mesage. Send me your username you want and password
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • neweggnewegg MVC3? SSF4AE? Joined: Posts: 60
    Thanks to djfrijoles for helping me creating an account on ggpo.

I suspect that a lot of email addresses are not accepted by ggpo server, but it won't tell you.

But djfrijoles helped me create a new hotmail account and it worked fine.

So if any of you have problem receiving confirmation email, trying create a new dummy hotmail address.
  • EtotheNGSPDEtotheNGSPD Gief Power Joined: Posts: 884
    What's up Frijoles?
    Hey thanks Papasi, I'll try this: Method 1
    Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects > Adjust for best performance

Lets hope it fixes my dropped inputs.
    The Next time we meet im going to break your arms.
    Spun Uncontrollably Skyward... Driven Brutaly Into the Ground.
    Zangief's express line is Open who, is Next???
    Thanks to Luciano Leone, that AV is Fucking Awesome Bro.
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    A ban has been issued on your username. You have been banned from this board until Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 pm.

Oh well someone banned me on ggpo.net forum so I can't update the guide anymore.

Anyway

1. I found some keyboard shortcuts that are quite helpful if you are spectating multiple games and want to adjust the sound volume for each windows.

Ctrl Alt -
    Ctrl Alt +
    Alt -
    Alt +

2. If you roms are located in a different directory and dont want to copy them to C:\Program Files\GGPO\Roms, you change modify

C:\Program Files\GGPO\config\ggpofba.ini

and add something like this:

szAppRomPaths[0] C:\Roms

3. And if any of you are using Adobe AIR 1.5 for ggpo, and hate the update prompt from AIR startup, save the following content to a file called "disable-adobe-update.reg" and then double click on it. It will prevent the auto update.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\AIR]
    "UpdateDisabled"=dword:00000001
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • VCFan1001VCFan1001 Joined: Posts: 285
    Is GGPO down? I've tried to make a new account and I'm still not able to log in.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    It looks like. I could not enter, too. 1818 UTC, now.
  • VCFan1001VCFan1001 Joined: Posts: 285
    1818 UTC? What does UTC stand for??
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    ^Google is your friend UTC GMT Conversion
    Well, lets hope that is just temporary, damn i cant live without ST. I couldn't get a single set in supercade without lag yet.
    Do anyone knows whats happening ?
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • SG10xSG10x Blanka Sucks Joined: Posts: 402
    So if I want to use my xbox fight stick on my mac what do I have to do?
    Antonio, it is wrong to use Macs for gaming! Well, I heard Macs now use a Unix clone OS, like Linux, so this might work.

BTW, I was thinking of using a Windows XP on a USB stick, if that is possible and someone can help me out, please. I only really boot into Windows, nowadays, due to GGPO and Supercade (not that anyone else uses it, though, which is sad).

Edit: I've also found this and this.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Does the record replay function in GGPO not work? I'm trying to record my matches in GGPO to watch later in fba emulator but the replays look weird (the characters are out of sync, doesn't look like the same match I just played).

When the match starts, I click on Game/Record Input, and it saves the file in the Recordings folder as a .fr file, but when I try to watch it later it doesn't work. Am I saving the replays correctly? I heard about a replay bug for GGPO, maybe this is it.
  • SteveTrenSteveTren RYU Ph.D Joined: Posts: 999
    Does the record replay function in GGPO not work? I'm trying to record my matches in GGPO to watch later in fba emulator but the replays look weird (the characters are out of sync, doesn't look like the same match I just played).
    When the match starts, I click on Game/Record Input, and it saves the file in the Recordings folder as a .fr file, but when I try to watch it later it doesn't work. Am I saving the replays correctly? I heard about a replay bug for GGPO, maybe this is it.

You can't record and play GGPO matches at the same time using that feature, it will desync. You have to have a friend observe and recorded it that way. If you have 2 GGPO accounts you can try observing and recording using another computer (laptop/whatever). This sometimes works for me, but often desyncs using this method also for reasons I don't understand.
    GGPO: stevetren
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    you cant record your own matches
    Cool, thanks guys. I thought that might be the bug I heard about. I will have to use FRAPS then.
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Is there a way to run GGPO on a virtual machine running windows xp?, because ggpo won't run on a virtual matchine, i'm using VMware, i really hate how GGPO runs on W7.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • DecoyDecoy You better block. Joined: Posts: 497
    Is there a way to run GGPO on a virtual machine running windows xp?, because ggpo won't run on a virtual matchine, i'm using VMware, i really hate how GGPO runs on W7.

I'm running VMware 4.0 on my iMac with a Boot Camp partition setup with Windows 7 and it runs near perfectly. I turn on Unity mode and leave the GGPO window open while I do the rest of my work within Lion.
    XBL Tag: Real Decoy
    Cool, thanks guys. I thought that might be the bug I heard about. I will have to use FRAPS then.
    FRAPS isn't going to be much help either. Using Fraps while playing on GGPO causes lag and other problems. Fraps is only good if you already have the FBA record file saved and then play it back while using FRAPS.
    FRAPS isn't going to be much help either. Using Fraps while playing on GGPO causes lag and other problems. Fraps is only good if you already have the FBA record file saved and then play it back while using FRAPS.

That's true, but I heard if you have a separate HDD you can capture while you're playing with no lag.
    That's true, but I heard if you have a separate HDD you can capture while you're playing with no lag.
    Hmm, I'm using my main SSD drive for GGPO and using my Raid 0 HDD's for FRAPS capture but still getting lag problems. I have a new, insanely fast system so I'm not sure why its giving lag issues.
    Hmm, I'm using my main SSD drive for GGPO and using my Raid 0 HDD's for FRAPS capture but still getting lag problems. I have a new, insanely fast system so I'm not sure why its giving lag issues.

Then what are the other options? A capture card like Dazzle? I wonder what djfrijoles uses.
    Then what are the other options? A capture card like Dazzle? I wonder what djfrijoles uses.
    Yea, I guess there are plenty of capture options if you split the video signal. Does DJ capture his own vids while playing or just while observing other people? There prolly is an easy way to do it using FRAPS or someother software, I just haven't had luck trying it myself.
    I record other peoples matchs with the input record option. then I play them back and run fraps to capture it with out lag with the proper blitter and resolution settings. then once its converted to .wmv I use windows media encoder 9 series to compress it. Maybe tonight Ill havesomedrinks after work and make a tutorial for everyone.
  • shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503

pretty sure you can spectate yourself, then hit record on the spectator GGPO window. I haven't tried it since the latest build but it should work still

there are some problems though like the audio. The spectator window will always be slightly behind. If you can play without sound, I suggest turning the sound off on your speakers but leave the audio on for GGPO. I believe this gives you the ability to have that play back with sound.

hope it helps
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
    I record other peoples matchs with the input record option. then I play them back and run fraps to capture it with out lag with the proper blitter and resolution settings. then once its converted to .wmv I use windows media encoder 9 series to compress it. Maybe tonight Ill havesomedrinks after work and make a tutorial for everyone.
    Yes we know how to do this. We are trying to figure out the best way to record one's own matches while playing.
    pretty sure you can spectate yourself, then hit record on the spectator GGPO window. I haven't tried it since the latest build but it should work still

there are some problems though like the audio. The spectator window will always be slightly behind. If you can play without sound, I suggest turning the sound off on your speakers but leave the audio on for GGPO. I believe this gives you the ability to have that play back with sound.

hope it helps
    When I tried this method it still desynced. I even tried different accounts with different PC's on the same internet connection and still got desyned.
    When I tried this method it still desynced. I even tried different accounts with different PC's on the same internet connection and still got desyned.

wow, never had that happened to me before. I had recorded a long set between me and some good Japanese players and it never fucked up on me.

let me try it right now and see if it works still.

I wonder what djfrijoles uses.

I record other peoples matchs with the input record option.
    Yes we know how to do this. We are trying to figure out the best way to record one's own matches while playing.

edit:

one to many quotes
    so I just tried the spectator trick in the vampire savior room and it still works. Recorded 4 games, watched the play back for all 4 just to make sure it didn't do anything wacky and it played back just fine. Not to mention that it didn't desync or anything. Only thing I saw a bit of was a smidge of slow down because I was playing and spectating but if your computer is better than which it should easily be, I doubt you would even notice anything.

if you guys are having trouble in the super turbo room, it could be because of other problems. The trick still works just fine Doesn't ST on ggpo take 2 groups of rom sets to work? could that be the problem? If you guys are running through a router while trying to play\spectate, could that be the problem? I'm playing on a direct connection to the internet to get rid of the port forward shit.

I could upload the matches if you guys want but I'm sure you'll take my word for it. Its really easy to see that you did a spectator record because it won't show the player names. It only records the players inputs rather than capturing the screen.

I've done this trick probably over 50 times over the years on ggpo and not one time did it desync on me. How many games are you guys playing on average before it desyncs on you?
    so I just tried the spectator trick in the vampire savior room and it still works. Recorded 4 games, watched the play back for all 4 just to make sure it didn't do anything wacky and it played back just fine. Not to mention that it didn't desync or anything. Only thing I saw a bit of was a smidge of slow down because I was playing and spectating but if your computer is better than which it should easily be, I doubt you would even notice anything.

if you guys are having trouble in the super turbo room, it could be because of other problems. The trick still works just fine Doesn't ST on ggpo take 2 groups of rom sets to work? could that be the problem? If you guys are running through a router while trying to play\spectate, could that be the problem? I'm playing on a direct connection to the internet to get rid of the port forward shit.

I could upload the matches if you guys want but I'm sure you'll take my word for it. Its really easy to see that you did a spectator record because it won't show the player names. It only records the players inputs rather than capturing the screen.
    I think its a router issue for me, because using 2 accounts on 2 different PC's worked for a while and now it doesn't. I'll just have to mess with it some more until I get it working.
    I think its a router issue for me, because using to accounts on 2 different PC's worked for a while and now it doesn't. I'll just have to mess with it some more until I get it working.

I would try getting rid of the router and then trying self spectate again. is djfirjoles playing through a router too?

the self spectate is really good for recording yourself because of how much less CPU it takes. Having ggpo running, then a capture program that's recording your screen is going to slow your shit down pretty bad unless you have a beastly PC. I have a POS PC and it actually worked pretty well. Was still able to play fine and everything.

good luck though, hope you get it working. If they brought back the GGPO dojo, it wouldn't be a problem!!!! =p
    I finally figured out how to save replays. I tried the spectating method of saving replays before, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't mute the sound of the other window. Well I tried Alt Ctrl - and it works, and when the replay is watched later the sound is not muted. The replay is saved in 4:3 format and I couldn't find a way to make it widescreen the way I like it, but that's fine. It also doesn't display the player names, but that's fine too.

For those who don't know how to do it:

-start a GGPO match
    -click on spectate yourself vs whoever
    -you now have 2 windows open, the playing window and the spectating window
    -in the spectating window hold down Alt Ctrl - to mute the sound
    -in the spectating window click on Game/Record Input
    -after you name the file it will be saved in the GGPO recordings folder as a .fr file
    -start playing!

As for lag, I find that if the connection was already good, it doesn't add any more lag. But if the connection was already a little laggy, then it will be slightly more laggy, especially if other spectators join. But if the connection was good to begin with, then other spectators don't lag it up either (unless you get a huge crowd or something but that's normal).

All of this can be done in the character select screen, with a little bit of time left over to select your character if you're fast enough. The replays are great and don't have any desynchs or other problems. I've watched three different replays and they're all good. You can fast forward with F1 and pause with Pause Break. If you want to get rid of the red indicator on the top right of the replay window, click on Misc, and uncheck "Display mode indicator".

If anybody figures out how to change the 4:3 format, let us know.
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276

The replay is saved in 4:3 format

thats the way ST must be, always, ggpo should only allow 4:3 n thats it
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Ok can someone help me with my situation? I downloaded Adobe AIR 1.5 to make ggpo work. I started it and I got to the main lobby. But the problem is that I can't chat, can't spectate, can't challenge, can't change rooms, and I have no flag. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. According to my port forward program, my ports are forwarded correctly. I hope this problem can be corrected...
    I am unsure of how much this old Adobe Air version thing may help. I say that because I have never had problems with it in Windows XP. Hence, I wonder if Win7 versions are buggy, or Win7 itself has some major flaw.

My Adobe Air version is 3.1.0.4880. Works fine.
    I'm on Win7 and GGPO won't work with the new adobe air, has to be the old one.

I also figured out how to watch replays in widescreen. If you don't like 4:3, click on ggpofba.exe, go to Game/Replay Input, and then choose your replay file. As a benefit, the images are sharper if you do it this way.

I'm still trying to figure out how to record the replay to an AVI / MPEG format so I can upload to youtube. Fraps only records active game sessions, it doesn't record ggpo replays. I'm trying other software, but none of them are any good. Any help would be appreciated.
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Fraps doesn't care if it is a replay or not. Change your blitter to DX9 and fraps will record FBA.

Fraps doesn't have a hook for DirectX7 (the default blitter) which is why it won't record. At least older versions of fraps.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
    It works now, thanks.
    I also figured out how to watch replays in widescreen.
    That's curious, cos I was trying the exact opposite, and could not find a way. Shit.