Sega Stick Appreciation Thread!

Comments

• CMonster1221CMonster1221 Foundation of Albany Joined: Posts: 1,460
    I looked through a few old threads and found the site I bought them from. http://www.crowriver.com/cs/cs004.htm Should have did this before posting lol.
    "Pad players are like cereal with water. You're just not doing it right."
    http://www.twitch.tv/cmonster1221
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Videojonathan
  • kubebotkubebot Large Member Joined: Posts: 1,270
    NotANoob81 wrote: »
    I nominate Voltech if he's still around.
    He got married and moved to Utah....I doubt he'll be back.
  • PlasiaPlasia PS3/360/PC keyboard supreme modder Joined: Posts: 109
    Do it, you've already sold one.
    -
    Plasia
    Live in Melbourne and interested in fighting game ranbats?
    http://www.couchwarriors.org/real/
  • EVAWINGZEROEVAWINGZERO Slacktivismist Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 2,229
    I'd scoop a case if you make some.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    [UMVC3 - A Button, B Button, C Button + S]
    [MK9 - Scorpion, Freddy Krueger]
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,350
    If the price was right I would be all over it.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    Hahaha. I'm glad you guys are supportive, but don't get your hopes too high just yet.

I'm still in the planning stage, and I won't be able to do any woodworking until at least all the snow melts in my parents' backyard (tablesaw is in the shed, and I need to drag an extension cable over), so this'll be April/May at the earliest.

I'll make one or two for myself first, and evaluate the feasibility on streamlining the process.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    I'm looking into having a reproduction SEGA Lindbergh panel made but I don't have any measurements. If anyone has one or knows where to find the measurements for a 2L12B Lindbergh panel I would appreciate if you let me know. Thank you all in advance.
  • TRIFELIFESURVIVESTRIFELIFESURVIVES GG Man! Joined: Posts: 167
    Once the weather gets better around here, I might try my hand at making a (or some?) custom casing(s) that'll fit Sega panels.
    Will have to source some nice wood around here first, though.

It'd be a pretty simple casing, though: (prototype drawn up quickly in Sketchup)
    There'd be additional holes for Select/Home and Neutrik for both players, and obviously with rounded/chamfered edges.
    concept2.png

This'll definitely put my routing skills to the test. :D

You've got yourself a customer here :) Let us know!

• hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,647
    edited April 2014
    bunbunmaru wrote: »
    ^
    Surprised that no one posted a Virtua USB Stick. They're pretty expensive, I think they aren't much cheaper than the HSS-0130, but I haven't seen one in a long time.

omg a tetsujin post :v

but yeah, i wouldn't put it on the same price range as the HSS-0130, but it's definitely uncommon. i've only seen 3 instances myself of them popping up at Y!AJ, and they were well over $100 before bidding.

cool stuff there, how are the parts/insides? is it similar to the standard HSS-0136?
    Man, I want to get an HSS-0136 and change the artwork to be a Blast City or Naomi overlay, but I just can't get over how low (on the face) that joystick is mounted...
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,981 mod
    edited April 2014
    bunbunmaru wrote: »
    ^
    I'd buy one as well.

Surprised that no one posted a Virtua USB Stick. They're pretty expensive, I think they aren't much cheaper than the HSS-0130, but I haven't seen one in a long time. Here's mine:
    http://i.imgur.com/2Pdf69c.png
    There's a USB version of the HSS-0136?

EDIT: Is that dust I see? Clean that pad son!
    came out around the same time as those USB/PS2 Saturn Pads, its branded SLS.
  • RugdoctorRugdoctor Joined: Posts: 175
    and they made sticks for the ps2 as well...

303976543.jpg

Got this for a song in local trade. Pretty mint as well. So now I have 2 of them :D Just need to knit a dreamcast/saturn shroud for the ps1/2 and everything will be fine.
    Resurrection.

not really posting about sega sticks perse..

but does anyone around here actually own a "NEW VERSUS CITY" Panel/Art overlay and instruction strip? I swear nobody owns these, just wondering what they look like in better photos. also what are the "stock" button colors on those?

I can only find TONS of regular "Versus City" panels/art, and I'm not really feelin' the hot purple it has going on.
    The orange and blue one? Ive wanted that panel for so long lol
    The orange and blue one? Ive wanted that panel for so long lol
    Orange is blue is Blast City.

New Versus is mostly blue with some yellow.
    edited September 2014
    I guess I consider this more Orangeish than yellow, but I meant this

maybe up close its yellow so ill trust ya

versuscity2p2cp.jpg
    yeah that one, i think it has better design than purple city and baja blast
    I guess I consider this more Orangeish than yellow, but I meant this

maybe up close its yellow so ill trust ya

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-666_PelcMs8/URvpT339M4I/AAAAAAAACOU/YHgV-YqP5YY/s1600/versuscity2p2cp.jpg
    That's just the lighting on the photo, those are definitely more yellow in person.

Simple and effective. Good jarb.
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 552
    @FreedomGundam‌ awesome work man.. definitely would be interested in one when you crank them out. any ideas how you are gonna price them? options for paint?
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
    @jonyfraze‌
    Thanks. I'm not sure about any details yet; I figure I'd hammer those out after I get my first trial models done.

I know for my own, at least, I'm gonna "paint" them up with Plasti-Dip as a trial and see how that goes. My biggest problem in terms of the build/finish is that I don't have necessarily the most convenient facilities for painting overall; these are actually being built at my parents' house (they live less than 5 minutes away, but still). My biggest problem overall mainly affects potential distribution: I'm located in Montreal (Canada), and Canada Post hasn't exactly been the best in terms of prices, especially to locations outside of Canada.

All this will get fleshed out as I complete these three, I guess.

Still need to buy some sheets of 1/8" ABS for the bottom panel (the 8'x4' sheet that I bought back in the summer of 2011 when I started building Japanese-style arcade sticks has pretty much been depleted).

Looking for:
  • EVAWINGZEROEVAWINGZERO Slacktivismist Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 2,229
    STILL want one FreedomGundam :)
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    [UMVC3 - A Button, B Button, C Button + S]
    [MK9 - Scorpion, Freddy Krueger]
    Bringing back the Sega appreciation thread!
    Not sure if this truly belongs here, but my work does involve Sega arcade panels, so here it goes.

Been planning these for a while (see my post above from 9 months ago); but regular life got in the way and I just didn't have time to get cracking on these until recently.

Barebones case:
    Front:
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/joysticks/sega-panel/case1_a.jpg

Back:
    With a panel in place:
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/joysticks/sega-panel/case2_b.jpg

I actually made three of these for myself, as an experiment. Experimented with single- and two-player setups, we'll see how that goes.
    There's a couple of things I probably still need to work out in my routing at this point in time. All the routing was done with templates, so this can be replicated pretty easily. I had some screw-ups with the routing of the Neutrik holes, but I think I have it down after 5 trials. :D

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/joysticks/sega-panel/case3_a.jpg

Obviously, the sheet of MDF I needed to buy could accommodate for many more, which I hope to be able to crank out more of these for people in the springtime if there's interest.
    Finally! Someone's gone and made cases for these panels.
  • FearlessFearless Joined: Posts: 407
    I'm interested in one unpainted, how much?
    -And then you asked: What the Hell are you!?

Well, I shall say... I'm God's left hand... Devil's right arm...
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    Playing the best Street Fighter game on it, too - as God intended.
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Looks good man! If I was good with wood working I'd give it a shot.. but I'm not, so I'll leave it up to the pros :) This looks much more affordable than the boardmaster or Virtua Stick Pro.

Do you plan on making any more? I would be interested in buying one from you if you did.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    Looks good man! If I was good with wood working I'd give it a shot.. but I'm not, so I'll leave it up to the pros :) This looks much more affordable than the boardmaster or Virtua Stick Pro.

Do you plan on making any more? I would be interested in buying one from you if you did.
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

I actually have enough materials to build like a dozen of these or more, actually.
    I only started off with my initial three as tests to experiment on building and finishing techniques. I have another 2 kinda half-done as an experiment in building speed/time. The only catch is that since winter is here, other than the original 3, I don't think that I'll be able to do any work on them (or any new ones, for all that matter) until spring hits. But I'll definitely be making more of these.

Looking for:
  • energizerfellowenergizerfellow Joined: Posts: 79
    To that end, I'm kinda amazed nobody has produced a modern clone of the Sega HSS-0130 for taking, say, a pair of PS360+ and generic Blast/Astro/Universal/Net panels. A Lindbergh version would be pretty awesome too.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,823
    A little update on my Sega-panel cases.
    My first experiment is underway. It's far from well done (it's neither "well", nor "done", for all that matter); I'm still waiting for some parts to come in the mail.

This one is supposed to be for a 2L12B panel (and not the 1L6B installed in the picture), but I didn't have a populated 2L12B panel on-hand.
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/joysticks/sega-panel/2-case1-b.jpg

Still waiting for some parts (threaded inserts, rubber feet, etc) and components (buttons and Neutriks); also need to go pick up some more 1/8" ABS sheets for the bottom panel. This one was "painted" with white Plasti-Dip; I'm not too fond of the final feel (even my wife said it felt "weird"), but it was an experiment nonetheless. Still usable. I have another casing that's been painted with white paint, waiting for the paint to cure at the moment before I clear-coat.

Trying to get all my spraying done in the next week or so; the weather's getting worse in my neck of the woods these days.

How I am debating on getting one. That case looks so well done if I didn't know better I though it was a retail product.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I actually have enough materials to build like a dozen of these or more, actually.
    I only started off with my initial three as tests to experiment on building and finishing techniques. I have another 2 kinda half-done as an experiment in building speed/time. The only catch is that since winter is here, other than the original 3, I don't think that I'll be able to do any work on them (or any new ones, for all that matter) until spring hits. But I'll definitely be making more of these.

Awesome, Keep me posted. I'd love to perhaps build a super gun into one of these for a more faithful boardmaster replacement :)
    To that end, I'm kinda amazed nobody has produced a modern clone of the Sega HSS-0130 for taking, say, a pair of PS360+ and generic Blast/Astro/Universal/Net panels. A Lindbergh version would be pretty awesome too.

From what I recall, Jasen's working on a Lindy panel enclosure. similar to the HSS-0130. I saw something in the works from Foehammer as well.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    Awesome, Keep me posted. I'd love to perhaps build a super gun into one of these for a more faithful boardmaster replacement :)

The tricky part is that there really isn't very much room on the inside; part of the goal of these builds was also to keep the formfactor very slim. Then again, we've all stuck multiple PCBs and whatnot into tiny little cases and crevices, so anything's possible. We'll talk about this when it comes to time for me to get back to my builds.

I was thinking about doing that. I have recently started some preliminary plans to try to build, by hand, like you said, a modern clone of an HSS-0130 (at least in functionality) out of ABS plastic, with all the standard stuff of sticks nowadays (PCB mounts, Neutrik mounts, etc). I'd like also to keep in mind any details and requirements for reproduction as well. Sadly, this probably won't see any light of day until at least a good year from now or so, if not more. Too many projects, not enough time.

Looking for:
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,417
    FreedomGundam that looks amazing! Hopefully i'll have cash when these are ready for sale. I ended up buying a Blast City full control panel for my main stick. I like my stick like i like my women...Big & heavy! 10272710_4844667290711_1228002585751216690_o_zps91492ec3.jpg[/URL]
  • energizerfellowenergizerfellow Joined: Posts: 79
    I was thinking about doing that. I have recently started some preliminary plans to try to build, by hand, like you said, a modern clone of an HSS-0130 (at least in functionality) out of ABS plastic, with all the standard stuff of sticks nowadays (PCB mounts, Neutrik mounts, etc). I'd like also to keep in mind any details and requirements for reproduction as well. Sadly, this probably won't see any light of day until at least a good year from now or so, if not more. Too many projects, not enough time.
    I bet there's enough interest in an updated exact reproduction (e.g. Neutrik, PS360+, anti-slip, cable storage, etc) of both the Sega HSS-0130 and Hori RAP 1/2/3/EX to get a Kickstarter going. Sega even strikes me as an awesome enough company to allow for official SEGA(tm) licensing and original CAD files to back such a thing (no idea on Hori). Hardest part would be getting the molds going for the center ring of plastic.