???????????????????????????????&#

Buster WolfBuster Wolf Are you okay?Joined: Posts: 738
????????????????????????????????????????????

Comments

• ashuraxashurax Joined: Posts: 89
    Combofiend aka Peter Rosas. He is the best Eagle A-groover I've ever seen. His Rolento is pretty damn good too.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Combofiend stopped using Eagle a while ago and now that he's in the army, he doesn't even play anymore.

Jason Nelson from Sunnyvale plays a REALLY good C/K-Eagle, he has a lot of tricks with K-Eagle and it's fun to watch. I use Eagle and a friends of mine use him too, we're all OK with him, but to say he's good for tourneys......I wouldn't say so, he doesn't have a lot to offer that you couldn't do better with Cammy or Sagat or another random top tier. I'd prefer Bison over Eagle, IMO.
  • ApocApoc SF Bendu Knight Joined: Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Eagle good for tourneys?
    Originally posted by TalbainEric
    I'm sure there are a lot of good Eagle players. I'm an exceptionable one. I'm pretty good with him on C-Groove,which is my best groove for almost any character. His Level 3 Union Jack Platinum is just the bomb,and he has so many various ways to handle both offense and defense. His excellent range also makes him deadly at times. And he deals pretty good block damage. Yes,I think this Englishman is a pretty strong character when in the right hands. I'm glad they brought him back in the limelight for CvS2.

But is he really good for tourneys? Has anyone known any Eagle players in tournaments? I've not heard of any.

The simple and most truthful answer to your question is this:

He is great for tourney if you are good enough to make him that way.

Understand that other ppl here on SRK or in Japan can be wrong. This means that while a character may be viewed as weak, he/she can win at the highest levels. It comes down to the player unless the matches are so against the character that ppl think of them like Dan. And seriously, everyone is competitive with a certain groove in cvs2. Ppl have trouble beating top tier because it's easier to be good or win with them. One requirement for a tournament quality character is that he can compete with the top tier. Eagle already fulfills this requirement. He has the tools to handle blanka/sagat/cammy/bison/vega.

I got top 5 in my bracket with Eagle at Evo and might've done better but didn't realize how far I was and I didn't care cuz I had prepared for A3 and dropped cvs2 a lil prior so I went out and got faded before my last match. Still, that's top 20 overall and the japanese took top 8.... Eagle in C.

Sure, it may not be true 100% but in trying to be good and innovate new shit instead of being a skillful copycat, it's good to assume that every character is competitive at a certain level.

Like Cammy/Sagat/Blanka are competitive at lvl2. Eagle would be competitive like at lvl10 or something. Understand what I'm saying?

Anyway, for a straight answer I'll give you a "Yes."

Apoc.
    Team USA 2002

Mirc:EFnet:#gamecombos-for your combo and match vid fix! Also, go check Dr.Funkenstein's hub!

"a thug changes, n' luv changes, and best friends become strangehs...word up."- Nas- The Message

The End is near...

I AM the counter.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Eagle is very good if you can use him, I agree with Apoc 100%. Balrog is not his CvS persona, but still good if you make him. Same goes with other characters like, Kyo, you have to earn your wins, not just pick Sagat or cammy and assured to do decent at the very least. Another thing, for Eagle in C, stick to his lvl 2 into lvl 1, it does a shitload of damage.
    Well hehe not to say that I am an expert or anything but in my opinion Eagle can easy go with any other character in the game... I'll break it down why right quick...

Pros:
    - defense... eagle can use his uppercut-ish attack to repel projectiles as well as use his qcbf+p to couter any physical attack at any level.. this by itself gives him a great advatage the Geese, Rock.. and even Alpha's Karen had.
    - he can play mind games on someone on the ground... his qcb+k overhead attack is useful and un expected, AND it can jump over projectiles...
    - to keep things simple... most people aren't used to playing against him and don't kknow too many good players with him. So basically, you have the advantage of knowledge... I know I got owned by him the first time I played him because I didn't know what to expect.

Cons:
    - he doesn't a have a true wake up attack like a shoryuken that can really make an enemy pay for jumping in while you're on the ground..
    - timing is essential when trying to make his moves work for you..
    - he has some horrible recovery time for his moves

Anyways I think he can definetely be used well enough to handle anyone... I think you're best bet with him would be to play as a defensive rushdown and K groove is my choice if I'm not using EX, heh. -Guiver

PS, what's up Eric... this IS Guiver, from SF.ORG, I just typed my member name in too fast... oops. hehehehe lata
    Eagle is definitely good for tourney level.

I don't use him because I can't consistently find any way to combo in his super, and even his hcf+MK combos elude me some days.

But he has great, damaging pokes, better than Cammy's I would say, good crossups, instant overheads, great priority air moves, and good damage. Even an anti-crossup move, and some autoguard moves thrown in.
  • boodabooda From Out of Nowhere Joined: Posts: 388
    Originally posted by Burghy
    Eagle is definitely good for tourney level.

I don't use him because I can't consistently find any way to combo in his super, and even his hcf+MK combos elude me some days.

But he has great, damaging pokes, better than Cammy's I would say, good crossups, instant overheads, great priority air moves, and good damage. Even an anti-crossup move, and some autoguard moves thrown in.
    Consistently combo his super? c.MK man!
    I'm a douchbag. I'll chip you.
    Man, you must be nuts if you can't find one way to combo Eagle super...You can do it off like everything except c.RH. Easiest ways are off either c/s.Forward or s.Short.

I think the best way to define Eagle's playing style is like...a VERY poor man's Guile. He's good at either zoning or rushdown, but can't excel at either one like Guile can. Still, one aims to please. So if you like Eagle, use him.

Your main zoning normals will be either s.Fierce, c.Forward, straight jump Short/Forward, and of course, the almighty c.RH.

Guard crush wise, Eagle can be good in that area. Since the usual poke string against someone who doesn't have a full screen lvl 3 ready is c.Forward -> s.Fierce. It does a lot of damage to the GC bar and can combo if the c.Forward is a counter hit, so there's some free damage right there. Another good GC combo is c.Forward, c.Jab, c.Forward, by any chance the second c.Forward hits, do the super. And of course, there's always the good ol' c.Jab, c.Jab, c.Strong

Another one of Eagle's good tactics is his Punch Throw...that thing is GREAT. After the throw, you have the option of dashing over them. If you establish a good timing sense, you can dash over just before they get up and hit them with a combo into super.

His regular b&b is c.Jab, s.Forward, HCF+Forward. I don't use his QCB+P or QCB+K moves at all during matches, you probably do more harm to yourself than anyone else. His counters can be useful for some purposes, anti footsie wise, it's good. You can also use it to bypass NORMAL fireballs.
    Originally posted by GeekBoy
    Man, you must be nuts if you can't find one way to combo Eagle super...You can do it off like everything except c.RH. Easiest ways are off either c/s.Forward or s.Short.

I think the best way to define Eagle's playing style is like...a VERY poor man's Guile. He's good at either zoning or rushdown, but can't excel at either one like Guile can. Still, one aims to please. So if you like Eagle, use him.

Your main zoning normals will be either s.Fierce, c.Forward, straight jump Short/Forward, and of course, the almighty c.RH.

Guard crush wise, Eagle can be good in that area. Since the usual poke string against someone who doesn't have a full screen lvl 3 ready is c.Forward -> s.Fierce. It does a lot of damage to the GC bar and can combo if the c.Forward is a counter hit, so there's some free damage right there. Another good GC combo is c.Forward, c.Jab, c.Forward, by any chance the second c.Forward hits, do the super. And of course, there's always the good ol' c.Jab, c.Jab, c.Strong

Another one of Eagle's good tactics is his Punch Throw...that thing is GREAT. After the throw, you have the option of dashing over them. If you establish a good timing sense, you can dash over just before they get up and hit them with a combo into super.

His regular b&b is c.Jab, s.Forward, HCF+Forward. I don't use his QCB+P or QCB+K moves at all during matches, you probably do more harm to yourself than anyone else. His counters can be useful for some purposes, anti footsie wise, it's good. You can also use it to bypass NORMAL fireballs.

Eagle is great at both defense and rushdown. He's better likened to a Dhalsim with mean combos. Poor man's Guile? How is that? He's nothing like Guile homie, heheh.

I feel like if I talk about this fool, I'll write a book so I'll try and keep it short but if he's not top tier, he's just below. Of that, there is no doubt. Eagle is the bomb. Almost as good as Chun, imo.

BUT...I will say that if you really want to be good with Eagle your BnBs should be cr.jab x's 2, cr.fiercexxrushing attack. Then, once you have super, cr. jab x's 2, cr.fwdxxsuper(unless you're in A-groove of course) should be your BnB. I would only substitute st.forward for a cr.fierce if it were a range issue.

As for lacking a real dp move. This is true. You'll have to learn to RC jab spins to use in place of a dp move. Of course, watch for the RC from the opponent while waking up and just roll away from the attack instead, heheh.

C-groove is Eagle's most deadly groove imo. He's good in every groove, imo.

Apoc.
    Team USA 2002

Mirc:EFnet:#gamecombos-for your combo and match vid fix! Also, go check Dr.Funkenstein's hub!

"a thug changes, n' luv changes, and best friends become strangehs...word up."- Nas- The Message

The End is near...

I AM the counter.
    I've been trying to do the combo cr lk, cr lp, cr mk into super
    but... I can't get it at a high enough consistency to feel safe using it. I can get cr lp x 2, st mk into hcf+mk almost all the time, though.

I was taught how to combo things like cr mp into super for Chun Li, but I need to practice doing quick joystick motions like that before I can be sure I can use Eagle.

But yeah, if your joystick skills don't totally suck like me, use Eagle. He totally counters Blanka (unless, maybe, if the Blanka player has played a million other Eagles) and does well against Sagat too. Sort of gets beatings by Cammy and A-Sakura but just trade with them a lot, I guess.
    Good points, I haven't played Eagle in forever, so I'm just doing a small refresher >_<

Anyway...I would avoid using c.Strong to link his HCF+Forward move or a super, it scales it a little and it's harder. Good way to shortcut the combo into super is c.Jab, QCF+Short, QCF+Strong, the super will come out. I like doing this when I get a jump in, I use c.Forward when I'm going to punish. Yes, you will sacrifice damage for because of the Short, but I'd rather have guarenteed link to a super, then risk messing up the c.Forward link (I don't mess it up often, but there's always that chance)

s.Strong is a good lowjump anti air.

If you do want to do the c.Jab, c.Fierce, HCF+Forward combo, hold Fierce, then do qcb->hcf+Forward, it'll work, just make sure to do it fast.

And something to note, his lvl 1 qcbx2+P move is good for wakeup if you time it right.
    Originally posted by GeekBoy
    Anyway...I would avoid using c.Strong to link his HCF+Forward move or a super, it scales it a little and it's harder. Good way to shortcut the combo into super is c.Jab, QCF+Short, QCF+Strong, the super will come out. I like doing this when I get a jump in, I use c.Forward when I'm going to punish. Yes, you will sacrifice damage for because of the Short, but I'd rather have guarenteed link to a super, then risk messing up the c.Forward link (I don't mess it up often, but there's always that chance)

s.Strong is a good lowjump anti air.

If you do want to do the c.Jab, c.Fierce, HCF+Forward combo, hold Fierce, then do qcb->hcf+Forward, it'll work, just make sure to do it fast.

And something to note, his lvl 1 qcbx2+P move is good for wakeup if you time it right.

Burghy:I think Eagle ownz Cammy, heheh. Good fight though, but she can be good against anyone easily.

Geekboy:"Anyway...I would avoid using c.Strong to link his HCF+Forward move or a super, it scales it a little and it's harder."

You must use HCF+Fwd in conjunction with low strong as a poke. There's no good reason not to and, anytime strong lands, it hurts. As for the super, I agree. In Combos following jabs, I'd agree, don't use it. But as a standard poke, There's no reason to not cancel the first hit of the strong when it lands. It's does more damage than letting the other strong hit and it pushes them towards the corner.

As for those "fake cross-ups" Buktooth was talking about, Eagle's is done with RH(obviously) and a decent range set up against many characters is cr.jab x's 2 then normal jump. I'm sure you'll all find others. Just throwin' it out there. Figure I should add in random shit when I reply, heheh.

Apoc.
    Team USA 2002

The End is near...

I AM the counter.
  • rsigleyrsigley Joined: Posts: 3,834
    julian robinson won a break tournament beating arturo, sanford and everyone else with eagle. i think in a tournament he also put ricky ortiz in loosers bracket with eagle on his team (along with bison and zangief both times). but julian is the guess master i don't know if normal people can do it only him
    I'm the black Timberlake in black Timberlands

I still crack the block up like Meet the Browns
    Not saying c.Strong sucks as a regular poke, I just don't like it to combo stuff, cause you usually have to NE to combo something, and that's kind of annoying to me. And actually, I'll sometimes do c.Jab, c.Jab, c.Strong (both hits), hcf+Short. Of course, this is only smart to do against somebody who's got no meter or something to punish with.

Yeah, Eagle's good against Cammy, c.Forward will pretty much punish any poke Spiral Arrow. The only thing you gotta watch out for is the random s.RH xx Lvl 3. Otherwise, you can be pretty lazy with this match.
  • DnutDnut Lustral's zombie Joined: Posts: 117
    Its seems to me that Eagle would get ripped apart by fast or high jumpers such as Bison, Chun li, Vega, and Rolento.

Sometimes, Chun li and Bison can actually jump over Eagle's c.Fierce. His c.Fierce just isnt fast enough to hit Vega out of the air, you almost have to predict Vega's jump-ins. Or maybe Im just not reacting quick enough. Any opinions about this?

I wonder if qcb+punch can stop cross-ups. Any ideas?

I also agree that Eagle's best groove is C-groove. He's such a good super combo whore like Chun Li. A funny looking combo that works in the corner is his Lvl2 qcfx2 punch super and canceled into the Eagle Swing(baseball swing). The sound effects of Eagle whacking somebody is just too funny.
    j.Strong works as a good anti air as well...QCB+P is an OK anti cross up, only if you RC it though.
  • boxbox Joined: Posts: 1,611
    For some reason Capcom doesn't think Eagle was that great in CvS2. They gave him a 5% damage increase in CvS2 EO. What's up with that???

I wonder what the japanese players think of him. I'll ask buktooth.
    I should reiterate, j.Strong is a good air-to-air, depending on when you do it. Bison j.RH is pretty much instantaneous, so if you do it a little earlier, you'll snuff it out. Be acquainted with the different timings to use this. J.Jab has some good air-to-air priority as well, not like Rolento's, but it can beat out a few things.
    The last I remember, there was only one Japan player who used Eagle, and that's Ver. Ver uses/used A-Eagle on a team like A-Joe/Chun/Eagle-2. His Eagle was good, but most of the damage he acquired was off of customs, I have yet to hear about a C-Eagle in Japan, Daigo should use him! I figure most people would rather use Cammy over Eagle for priority over range. Most Japan Cammys don't have a problem getting in.

The vulnerabilities Eagle have from what I know are:

No "get the fuck off me" type moves. Except maybe a RCed QCB+P move, otherwise, you really got to concentrate on zoning people away.

Not the best AC in the world.

Sometimes it's hard to get in vs. top tier.
    I haven't used him in a VERY long time, but reading this thread makes me want to use him, I bitched out and started using A-Sak/Rolento/Bison. If I ever have a C team, it consists of: Chun-Li, Eagle, Balrog, Bison, Sagat, Rolento. I put Eagle in the middle and start/end one of the others. Cause by starting with someone like Chun-Li you can get a good advantage if she dies and Eagle comes in, because you don't have to do much for him to win if you worked them over with a starting character.
  • CapMasterCapMaster OG Pad Player Joined: Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes Eagle can definetly be used in tournament play. I used to use him all the time in A. C and A are his 2 best grooves. At ECC a lot of people were playing him in K. Whats up with that??
    Reborn ST hustler.
    2009 Gamestop Regional Champion
    I tried Eagle at ECC, but then got owned, so I went back to K-cammy/blanka/sagat.

But he's definitely godly in K groove and P groove too. He doesn't *need* hop, but it's extremely useful. And although I think his dash is better than his run, he's still got a good run.
    A shame I can't parry shit in tourney conditions.
    Burghy I might remember you...You remember seeing a tall white kid with blond hair and glasses wearing a Mike Vick jersey?? That was me...I think I was talking to you outside by the van.
    Reborn ST hustler.
    I was some Asian guy wearing a purple shirt!

I think my tournament exploits should be on the front page of SRK. "DUNELLEN, NJ: A person of no repute uses scrubby K groove team, impresses no-one"

Also, can some super Eagle player like Apoc or something explain why C groove is so good? I'd have figured K, P and A to be his best grooves, his L2 cancel isn't so good outside of corner...
    Originally posted by Burghy
    I was some Asian guy wearing a purple shirt!

I think my tournament exploits should be on the front page of SRK. "DUNELLEN, NJ: A person of no repute uses scrubby K groove team, impresses no-one"

Also, can some super Eagle player like Apoc or something explain why C groove is so good? I'd have figured K, P and A to be his best grooves, his L2 cancel isn't so good outside of corner...

Actually, the level 2 is better than the level 3. The level 3 can't connect from as far as a level 2. It's really bad. Basically, you can actually land a level 3 and not get all the hits which actually leaves you wide open. Hella shitty against K cuz you land the super and rage em and then leave yourself wide open to take it for free. Now, with a level 2, you can hit from the same distance and farther and then cancel into the level 1 and during the cancel the opponent gets "pulled" into the first hit of the level 1 thus increasing your range on your super as well as making sure that you connect all of your hits. Not to mention that you can always use the level 2 cancel to charge another level 2 so you get 2 level 2s with a special tacked on in one round. Level2 into bat swing twice? Heheh. Still, there are other features that make him better in C but I'm not gonna write a book. For example, A-Sakura. She gets you blocking the cc and you must AC. Now you have level 1 and no super. Just negates it. In C you can do the same thing and still be able to utilize a level 2 or 3 before she can charge back up. Things like that.

Apoc.
    Team USA 2002

The End is near...

I AM the counter.
    oooh yeah
    you're right. from maximum st MK range, the last hit of the level 3 only connects on fat characters. That sucks and stuff.
    Today I was just playing around...And I just now discovered how powerful Eagle's jumping roundhouse is. Holy shit... It's got priority, crosses up, and can combo. Wow...
    Reborn ST hustler.
  • Ratio1BeatDownRatio1BeatDown Drink a 40, Get high.. Joined: Posts: 413
    eagle for tournament...

Eagle is definitely a good character to consider for tourney play depending on who you are playing. Like at ECC8 I only picked him against Nak players and chunli players for the most part. You really have to know your characters well to use eagle because he can really dominate certain characters.

rsigley: Julian Robinson uses eagle? I didnt know that. I wish he used Eagle against me at ecc8 he probably would of did alot better than picking zangief against me.

Later
    I asked in the other thread who Eagle's worst matches are.... what I really want to know and thought that would be the best way to get a response is who should Eagle be used with?

Who compliments him so if I get dominated by a character Eagle has difficulty with I can defeat them besides Blanka and Sagat whom I refuse to use.

Right now I'm trying Eagle - Bison/Balrog - Not Sure

Who do you all use to compliment Eagle?
    I used a team of Blanka, Cammy and Eagle.

Sometimes I would switch for Blanka, Sagat and Eagle

Cammy, Sagat and Eagle would work too I think, but I am aghast at the thought of choosing a tournament team that does not include Blanka
    You don't really need certain characters to compliment others. Just pick who you want. I just always try to make sure all 3 of my characters don't die to one particular one. (Ex: A Hibiki/Vega/Rugal team is single-handidly countered by Bison)
    Reborn ST hustler.
  • ShinGouki00ShinGouki00 The Scrubster Joined: Posts: 580
    c. mk into s. mk is too good. It gives you a free qcf p move thingy.
    warning: do not feed miami trolls
    u mean hcf +mk
    A good cheap trick with Eagle would be to zone him just close enough to do a standing FFP on the opp. A good way is to get in close and Do a crouching MP and just when your opp thinks your done poking at him, stand do the standing FFP in the face. If you keep em zoned close enough to do the FFP you can react better this way. If they jump towards you, roll by and do a standing BFP. If they move foward, then push em back again. If they roll towards you, Roll past them, move back, or start jabbing him. It depends on what you think they will do at their roll. Eagle is a great turtler on just these basics I said alone. You gotta be unpredictable at times, and sometimes you gotta let them make the mistake.

BTW, whoever said that his moves lagged...you are nuts.
  • popoblopopoblo Joined: Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    wow, that post was so wrong on so many levels i'm just gonna act like i never saw it.

and yes, eagle's standing fierce and crouching rh have a HUGE amount of recovery on them. be sure they are going to hit, or at least be blocked if you're going to throw them out. if you're ever unsure, just press crouching mk.

i can't wait until i get my cvs2 frame-data book i just ordered. i'm predicting eagle's standing fierce and crouching rh have a little less recovery time than a shoto's jab dp, which is a lot:eek:
    Eagles moves have a HUGE wiffed animation, like pobolo said on his standing fierce and crouching roundhouse, and although it doesnt really apply to poke strings his crouching fierce also has a huge wiffed animation, im not sure about his s.roundhouse, as i dont often wiff that (I've wiffed the rest in poke strings, or misstimed anti airs)

I think I missed cammy with a s.fierce, and she had time to run in close fierce cannon spike me.... (well, I forget how I was punished, I might have even been thrown out of my wiffed animation)
    is there a move eagle can do from a blocked spiral arrow?
  • popoblopopoblo Joined: Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    don't block spiral arrows, stuff them with standing mk.
    A good cheap trick with Eagle would be to zone him just close enough to do a standing FFP on the opp. A good way is to get in close and Do a crouching MP and just when your opp thinks your done poking at him, stand do the standing FFP in the face. If you keep em zoned close enough to do the FFP you can react better this way. If they jump towards you, roll by and do a standing BFP. If they move foward, then push em back again. If they roll towards you, Roll past them, move back, or start jabbing him. It depends on what you think they will do at their roll. Eagle is a great turtler on just these basics I said alone. You gotta be unpredictable at times, and sometimes you gotta let them make the mistake.

BTW, whoever said that his moves lagged...you are nuts.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah
    You can punish a blocked Eagle far st. fierce with L2/3 spin dive smasher or direct lightning
    Originally posted by popoblo
    don't block spiral arrows, stuff them with standing mk.

thx man i didnt know that
    :D