Supergun + arcade CPS2 Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Comments

• Dark GaidenDark Gaiden Joined: Posts: 284
    Please excuse the noobish question, but instead of having to deal the encoders, couldn't one just purchase one of these RGB monitors:

SyncMaster? 17" monitor - E1720NR - Commercial - monitors | SAMSUNG

or

Amazon.com: New Asus LCD VH198T 19inch LED Backlight DVI HDCP Speaker 25cd/M2 5ms Black Bare Analog RGB: Kitchen & Dining

I'm assuming these monitors wouldn't lag, since they accept RGB signals?
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    I'm assuming these monitors wouldn't lag, since they accept RGB signals?

The JAMMA boards put out 2 something like 2 volts peak to peak and 15 Khz Hsync. Modern hardware generally expects 0.7 volts peak to peak and 31 Khz. The voltage can be divided down, but matching the Hsync requires converters.

The ASUS monitor you listed has a Hsync spec of 30Khz or more, and the Samsung doesn't have any Hsync spec listed. I wouldn't expect either of them to support 15.75 Khz video natively.

Notably, even if a display will handle 15Khz it may still have display lag.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • dsinniedsinnie Joined: Posts: 4,132
    I must be missing something because building the supergun seems to be the easy part i just can't find the damn board.
    I must be missing something because building the supergun seems to be the easy part i just can't find the damn board.

No, that's really about the size of it.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Would you mind connecting your XRGB to an Asus and then to a CRT? My bro felt that playing on a CRT was more responsive than playing on the Asus. He wants to know if you will notice anything as well. Oh, Asus set to "game mode" of course.
    -Thx

I tried the 2 monitors one after another after another (claw vs. Ken in Mexico on JP T3) and didn't notice any issues adjusting to the link combo timing between the two with at least 20 games filled with combos apiece. Based on my rough experimentation, I would expect 0-1 frames of lag on the Asus compared to a lagless CRT. The only issue is that the Asus can't squeeze the picture back to 4:3, seems to have a funky picture manager that can't be turned off (if you try to run a display optimizer, you'll find some adjustments don't make visual sense and can't be done without breaking other areas), and a low degree of visibility.

On the other hand, changing stages did noticeably affect the timing. On Mexico, the links have to be spaced out properly. On England though, if you spaced it out with the same timing, the hits wouldn't form a combo. And once again, my results on how quickly link combos needed to be executed didn't corroborate with T.Akiba's stage speed/length but like I've said before, I think that measurement is mixing the 2 properties together when those are actually 2 separate properties: stage length, where some maps are longer than others, and stage speed, where some stages are faster than others.
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    I don't recommend buying from excellentcom. I've had a handful of friends buy from them with bad experiences.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • bitkidbitkid BiTKiD Joined: Posts: 685
    Papasi you should come up and visit me and bring your ST board to play on my new cab! I've got an Alpha 3 board now too as the guy I bought the cab from was selling it for a decent price. Its kinda far though, like 3hrs drive from the Bay Area. I hope I can pick up my own ST board soon but its not as fun playing by yourself is it? :D
    Dat shit's hoopz n yo-yos dawg!
  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 565
    i read somewhere on this thread that fan noise on a cps2 super gun could be bothersome. just letting everyone know that i had an "A" board with a fan that seized up. so i went to pc warehouse and got the equivalent replacement. it is pretty much the same size, and drops right in. same voltage(12v) and amp draw(dont remember, it says right on the fan). it is almost dead silent, with a very minor hum like a PC would make. nothing like the original fan and it only cost 8 bucks. it basically is an even swap but you have to make a splice on the 2 wires going from the new fan to the old fans wires which connect to the pcb so you can utilize the original connector.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Yeah, the noise is very bothersome when playing by yourself or in a relatively quiet place. But at any tourney, it's just a small buzz if audible at all.

Although some people suggest no need for the CPS2 fan, I wouldn't recommend anyone disconnect the fan because the boards (esp. the bottom of the A board) will get fairly hot if you leave the game on for a few hours, even in the complete open.

What's a good replacement fan for the Nidec Beta SL D06R-12TH? I'm sure we can get more efficient and quieter fans nowadays but is it as simple as making sure the fan is 60x60x15 mm in size with a 2-pin header?

I've seen the steps for replacement here and it's unfortunate soldering is still needed, albeit simply moving 2 wires: Changer le ventilateur sur CPS2... | Gamoover
    What's a good replacement fan for the Nidec Beta SL D06R-12TH? I'm sure we can get more efficient and quieter fans nowadays but is it as simple as making sure the fan is 60x60x15 mm in size with a 2-pin header?

I've seen the steps for replacement here and it's unfortunate soldering is still needed, albeit simply moving 2 wires: Changer le ventilateur sur CPS2... | Gamoover

Traditionally, the amount of cooling that happens is overkill. The new fan on the link page is about half as powerful as the old one - electrically speaking - but I'd still expect it to be up to the task.
  • VOLTECHVOLTECH Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW Joined: Posts: 3,040
    Damn now I gotta buy a CPS board? eh well I did buy a 360 just so I could play HDR so I guess this is pretty much the same thing?

I've been wanting to build a cab ST for anyway, so who's wants to help me get this thing going?

Rufas - are you local to the So cal area?

DG&V - I might have to come over and see what all the fuss is about.

Everybody else - Step your game up Voltech is coming for ya ;)

Lets do this!!!!!
    Quality over Quantity
    voltecharcadesticks@gmail.com
    http://voltecharcadesticks.blogspot.com/
    Voltech Arcade Sticks FTW!!!
    Rufus - are you local to the So cal area?

Hermosa Beach.
    Perfect I'll PM you

edit - your inbox is full
    Quality over Quantity
    edit - your inbox is full

It'd be nice if they system warned me before a notification bounced... not full anymore.
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Yeah you usually want to replace the battery after you purchase it, you don't want to risk it even the seller say he had it replaced last year.
    This. I've had boards die as young as 4 or 5 years old. No reason to press your luck regarding a $5 part.
    That's a little surprising since Composite and S-Video are almost the same.
    S-video to composite video
    Looking at that circuit would certainly lead one to believe there wouldn't be much difference in quality between composite/s-video, but the key is how the TV processes them. Whenever you combine analog video signals you are degrading the final picture quality because of how the TV breaks those signals apart. The process is not perfect so the resulting signals are less than the sum. For example:
    RF = video + audio = worst; TV has to filter for both video and audio.
    Composite = video = ok; TV still has to filter all video (sync, brightness, color).
    S Video = color & brightness video signals are separate = good; Less filtering than Composite.
    RGBS = every video signal is separate = best; TV doesn't filter anything

In my A/B comparisons on many TV's, S-Video is typically 2x cleaner than Composite. The jump from S-Video to RGBS is less noticeable. Some people go gaga over running a supergun via Component video, but the improvement over S-Video isn't worth spending any more than maybe $20 extra, IMO.
    -ud
    In my A/B comparisons on many TV's, S-Video is typically 2x cleaner than Composite. The jump from S-Video to RGBS is less noticeable. Some people go gaga over running a supergun via Component video, but the improvement over S-Video isn't worth spending any more than maybe $20 extra, IMO.
    -ud

Thing is, it's easiest to just go with RGB 'cause that's what the games output.
  • TechnicalMonkeyTechnicalMonkey Joined: Posts: 22
    There is a point that in order to get a clean looking signal, just having YC (S-Video) is enough. I use color difference component because it's easier to get scalers and transcoders for it-- speaking from personal experience.

Overall, it should be good as long as the monitor that you use does not give you any type of real lag penalty, and/or if you can work any other A/V equipment that you want to use.
    dontblowthis.com | twitch.tv/dontblowthis
    Anybody see this HDMI Supergun?
    Quality over Quantity
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    Anybody see this HDMI Supergun?
    For that much money why not purchase an Astro City or two?
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    How much can I get an Astro City cab for?
    Quality over Quantity
    What about this one? $350 shipped
    Supergun ModelsRevolverA.jpg

So Rufus do you build something like these?
    Quality over Quantity
    What about this one? $350 shipped
    Supergun Models
    Uhg. $350? If you can wire up a joystick, you can make a supergun. It's a box with a power supply, video encoder, a few switches and wires. Almost everything inside can be purchased with screw terminals. Making your own is not only cost effective, but you'll know how to fix it if something comes loose in the future. Come on, you know you are a do-it-yourself-er :cool:
    -ud
    Yeah the more I look at these things the more I realize I could probably just make one but I got a lot in my plate right now plus I'm lazy when it comes to electronics. So are these all using the same basic PCB's or are their different models and types?
    Quality over Quantity
    What I'd really like to make is an all in one CPS2 A-B, Power supply and super gun enclosed in a nice clean enclouser or a DJ case with all the service buttons inside except for the coin and start buttons mapped to the custom sticks I build for it. Anybody wanna go in on a CPS-II kit Looks like I need to either buy 2 at a time or ad something to the order to get up to $200. Do these guys sell everything else I'll need like the super-gun PCB, kick harness and powder supply?
    Quality over Quantity
    What I'd really like to make is an all in one CPS2 A-B, Power supply and super gun enclosed in a nice clean enclouser or a DJ case with all the service buttons inside except for the coin and start buttons mapped to the custom sticks I build for it.
    Well, I'm holding off on an official announcement 'till it's ready to demo, but I'm actually in the middle of something like that :tup: Lord willing, I'll have some ready to take to Devastation this year.
    -ud
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Give me a list of things to buy, like actual items and I'll damn sure make one myself.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    dude, i have the shopping list right here

http://shoryuken.com/f223/supergun-arcade-cps2-super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-254379/index2.html#post9848662

and the url at the first post.

$100 you can make your own.

voltech, not sure about the hdmi but dgv and i both bought the vga encoder and there is display lag (and we also have the composite encoder and there is no lag).

also, if you have time you can actually take apart the A board, drill some holes and install the video encoder + 2x toodle's psx converter in there. nice and clean. you dont even need the harness and kick harness in that case.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Sweet, thanks.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    Voltech, why don't you make a joystick that has the super gun built in, that shit would be fucking sweet.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • VirtuaFighterFourVirtuaFighterFour VirtuaFighter.com Joined: Posts: 1,572
    Voltech, why don't you make a joystick that has the super gun built in, that shit would be fucking sweet.
    There was a guy who made HRAP-GUNS and sold them a while ago. Haven't seen one in years. It was a Supergun, with a 2P player PS2 port, all housed in a HRAP shell where the HRAP was the 1P controller as well. The 2P joystick slot was on the back part of the HRAP as were all the various plugs and connectors.
    VF5:FS - Akira, Jean, Wolf, Taka
    VF4/EVO/FT - Wolf, Akira, Goh, Kage, Jacky
    ST - Dictator, Hawk, Boxer, Honda, O.Hawk, Sagat, Ken, O.Boxer, Claw
    3S - Q, Gouki, Ryu III
    Nah, consolized A board is much more cooler (and useful) than a supergun in a stick.
    What if one of the players cannot use a sanwa (or whatever stick the supergun builtin with)?

Just add 2x toodles boards+ PSX extension cord in addition to the DB15 ports.
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Yeah I saw this one and I like the idea of an all in one system. It looks like he still has the power supply outside the case similar to an Xbox 360 I guess ;)
    Quality over Quantity
    DIY SuperGun Supply List

So I want to Build my own SuperGun

Correct me if I'm wrong but If I wanted to build my own "SuperGun" All I need is the "JAMMA Full Cabinet Wiring Harness Loom" the "CAPCOM CPS-II / CPS-III / NAOMI AUXILIARY KICK HARNESS" wired to the "CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD-Converter PCB" and finally a "Power Supply". I'll also need some sort of Project Box or carrying case to stuff everything into not to mention all the connection, switches dials and buttons etc.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the different brands of Video converters ie JROK or the one mentioned above etc.. Anybody have a Preference?

Also how is Sound handled, should I get some sort of an AMP and or equalizer?

Finally I need the CPS-II A and B Boards that make up the (A) Motherboard and (B) Game Board

2x PSX TO JAMMA CONVERTER
    Or Toodles Converters (Need more info)

Besides a Monitor with Sound do I need anything else?

Ok does anybody have or know of somebody selling a CPS A and B board? It seems the only place I can find the B board is from CoinExpress and they have a minimum spending limit of $200 plus it's a pain in the ass to even pay them lol. Another option is if somebody wants to go in on a double buy from them, that would put us over their spending limit.
    Quality over Quantity
    OK let me copy & paste that list again since you're missing the psx converter

video encoder
    harness
    kick harness
    2x toodles converters (pm toodles)
    2x psx extension cord (pm toodles)
    arcade or pc power supply

Sound comes from the RCA connections (red/white) on the A board directly.

Most people use jrok since it was on the market for a long time. It has all the input (component, s-video, composite). But it is most expensive ($90)

The neoblitz assembled = $65, unassembled = $40. (s-video, composite)
    Has the better picture than jrok according to review. However it has no individual RGB color control knob.
    jkurtz01@gmail.com

Chinese knockoff from jammaboard.com (s-video, composite) I have no complaint for the s-video output quality. But the composite output is ass. DGV has the jrok but he said the composite output is also not that good until he got the jrok sync cleanser. Maybe if I have the sync cleanser I would have comparable composite output quality. But since my tv has s-video I didn't bother.

stevetren has both jrok and the $40 one. I asked him to compare the quality, but the guy has the best CRT you can get - 2x sony medical grade CRTs he found from craigslist that accept native 15mhz RGB signal from the A board. He didn't need video conversion.

connect both harness to A board. Harness has bunch of wires that you connect to
    * power supply
    * video encoder
    * 1p & 2p toodles converters (soldering required)

cut the male connector from the psx extension cord, and solder the exposed wires to the toodles converters

yeah the biggest headache is the project box. none of us are any good at carpentry. I guess that's the easy part for you :) (maybe you can help dgv out, he's putting everything inside a TE box)

CPS A & B board.... neo-geo trading forum, arcade otuku trading forum etc. but it's hard if you are new. no one will trust you plus the old timer will snatch it up anyway.

there were two on ebay last week, both sell for $220 + 20 shipping

and yeah stevetren and mikeidge both have 6 boards. these bastards will compete with you on all these trading forums and ebay :mad: apparently they want to get all the boards available on the market :arazz:

coinop the more you buy the cheaper they can offer you can haggle with them if you buy more than 2.

that's it for now i guess. hope that helps
    Anybody have any pics? I'd like to see your setups for ideas and an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Also please explain the Toodles converters. Do they work with PSX, USB etc??

Oh and yes the box is the easy part ;)
    Quality over Quantity
    stevetren's kick ass medical grade monitors

my ghetto ups priority box supergun svideo and harness connection
    power supply in the supergun and video encoder
    laugh's $50 psx converter. support buttons mapping
    psx extension cord pin out

toodle's converter are $15 and 99% of psx stick out there use the same layout, 99% you dont need button mapping. but toodles is going to add button mapping support in the future. since laugh's converter is already assembled, I got 2x db15 solder cup to put everything together. If you use toodles', just cut the male connector from the psx extension cord and solder them directly on the board.

toodles's converter works with psx / snes / neogeo input. but practically only psx is useful

Now can I get a discount for that project box? I need two :)
    Too many words lol

Ok I have an idea for a project box but I'll need a full setup anybody want to donate to the cause?

P.S> why aren't you guys making these? Supergun Models

BTW My idea would also double as a carrying case for the whole thing

Maybe something like this? http://www.technology-for-exhibits.com/images/zoom/servo_case.jpg

Of course a wooden box would be the easiest, I could even get fancy with some nice woods similar to what I've seen here
    Quality over Quantity
    Too many words lol

Ok, how about this: They're PCBs 3x4" or something like that. You can pick PS2 SNES/NES or Saturn in and they put out 'common ground' format. The ones I got are thru-hole.
    That works thanks =D
    Quality over Quantity