So You Wanna Go For a Ride?: Syke and Windy's MvC3 Basics Thread

Comments

• grinnergrinner Joined: Posts: 37
    Hi

This might be the best place to post this info, but I found out that the charge time required for (what I'm guessing) most moves do not require even 1 second of charging. Here is what I have found out.

Below are the charge times that I have found, to the best of my ability by recording myself playing MvsC3 in the trianing room, and then counting frames + times with video software. Charge time begins as soon as I see a down or back arrow register from the Training Room's "Input Display" feature. Charge Time ends after the final input (usually the attack button) is pressed. The quickest successful charge times are displayed. NOTE: Pressing L / M / H does not seem to change charge time at all.

Chun Li
    Spinning Bird Kick (ground): 0.633 seconds (38 frames)
    Spinning Bird Kick (air): 0.533 seconds (32 frames)

Shuma Gorath
    Mystic Stare: 0.667 seconds (40 frames)
    Mystic Gaze: 0.633 seconds (38 frames)

Felicia
    Sand Splash: 0.733 seconds (42 frames)

Amount of *maximum* charge time for the following character's moves, before character begins the animation of executing the attack.

Thor
    Mighty Smash H: 0.583 seconds (35 frames)
    Mighty Strike: 0.583 seconds (35 frames)

Super Skrull
    Stone Smite (standing H): 0.700 seconds (42 frames)
    Charged Crouching H: 0.677 seconds (40 seconds)
    Charging Jumping S: 0.466 seconds (28 frames)

Amaterasu
    Thunder Edge (charged sword attack): 0.517 seconds (31 frames)

X-23
    Neck Slice: 0.517 seconds (31 frames)
    Ankle Slice: 0.517 seconds (31 frames)
    Decapitating Slice: 0.517 seconds (31 frames)

Well, hopefully this information can help somehow. Found this out as a result of trying to help someone with charge motions in a capcom-unity thread, and not knowing if charge time was 2 seconds or 1.5 seconds...I'm shocked to find out its not even 1 second!
  • gbgoobergbgoober WIP Joined: Posts: 55
    Hey guys. I have played fighting games for a while now but it seems i always have the same issues with some combos.

I am able to do some semi difficult combos but then i have trouble with some combos that seem very easy.

Just looking for some tips that I am sure you guys got that work for you.

I do use an Arcade stick and i am pretty used to it.

Just looking for some tips about training and different ways for timing combos
  • maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    snip

like what combos are you having difficulty with? combos change from time to time, but I guess the general consensus is not all combos require you to input the commands asap. some require you to delay certain hits, some require you to be constantly pressing buttons.

in training mode, when selecting the CPU's team, choose a team of a small/medium/large characters, like maybe zero/wesker/hulk, or amaterasu/magneto/sentinel. this is just to make sure you know the timing variations on your combos depending on your opponent's size, also which combos will whiff entirely. check out videos of your favorite player performing a combo and observe how the combo looks, and see if you can replicate it. check the combo threads for your characters on here and feel free to ask character-specific questions there.

just have fun in training mode and keep practicing. there's no excuse for missed combos or bad execution, because more often than not, you just didn't practice enough. not gonna lie, event mode and online can suck it-- training mode is honestly where I have the most fun with the game lol
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Ive been playing online a lot more and i find it effective to practing because i get to play against another person that is moving and trying to counter of course.

I guess what I have the most difficulty with is actually getting in.

I mean Dashing behind an assist of Super Jumping and Dashing down...
  • charlie88charlie88 Devil Survivor is my $Hit....your friendly neighborhood NiGga Joined: Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man online lags so dont base ur play off of that but if u want tips just practice ur ass off, even the best of us drop easy combos u WILL drop combos. But like maziodyne said above what combo are you droppin and with whom
    A wild typical Nigga appeared...... Greninja use Job Application, Committment and Read A Book...... Its super effective..... The Wild Nigga fleed..... Win Quote: I must use the tools the white man has given us to protect our world from coonery and bafoonery
  • ZephyrZephyr The West Wind Joined: Posts: 311
    If your main objective is to play online, then live practice in that arena is good.
    However, if you're looking to play against people face-to-face, you want to just use online to keep the competitve juices flowing. Even 4-bar play makes certain things very different and will probably start developing bad habits if you're not careful.

Who do you use? Different character combinations have different ways of opening people up. Storm+Ammy can threaten a very fast IOH or a triangle dash to the other side, where Zero+Ammy can threaten an air attack and J.shippuga.L to low attack, or threaten a possible double ground shippuga.L cross over
    TCG.Zephyr
    Follow on Twitter @zephyrblayze | Subscribe on YouTube | twitch.tv/zephyrblayze
    Just so you got an idea of what I'm running.

It may sound like a newb team...

Wolv/Hulk/Sent and Wolv/Wesker/Sent
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭✭
    What combos are you messing up because even in bad netplay you really shouldn't be dropping anything with them.
    My hulk and sent are fine the difficult one for me is Wolv and Wesker.

I find when I go for Drill claw dive kick I either do a team aerial of time it off and not connect the dive.
    Don't hold any directions for Drill Claw and/or use your pointer and middle finger instead of thumb. Mash on H for the Dive Kick.
  • quixotegutquixotegut Mash "H" for SMASH! Joined: Posts: 492
    Yeah, sounds like you need to brush up on neutral positioning of the joystick. I have a similar problem as I tend to keep a direction held amid button hits and it winds up costing me.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned there's always the connection setting you can play with in the Training Mode setting. If you're Online more, set it to 3 out of 4 bars and get used to the lag (I know it's not the same, but you'll streamline some of your combo's with it on.)
    UMvC3: Frank West/Hulk/Dorm

XBL: Quixotegut

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Nice really appreciate all the support on the forum!

I'm gonna try that without my thumb. I do use drill claw like back in XMEN Vs Street Fighter Storm Lightning Attack so I'm used to using my thumb.
  • FrenzinatorFrenzinator Frenzinator Joined: Posts: 32
    Hey all!

Firstly, sorry for the constant keepaway help posts, you've been amazing in helping me!

The main problem I have when playing keepaway (Tasky-a/Doom-b/Sent-a) is that I often get rushed down, stuck in a corner, I panic, they keep the combos coming, and I get combo'd over and over again until I die...

When I do get rushed down, what is the best tactic I can use? and the best way to counter this using (bearing in mind keepaway tactics)...

thanks again all, and from now on i'll try to keep my thread posts to a minimum...
    MvC3 Team: Taskmaster / Dr. Doom / Sentinel
  • GcYoshi13GcYoshi13 #1 PTX-40A Pilot Joined: Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep away lockdown in this game is not as strong as it is in MvC2. It's almost inevitable that a competent player will rush you down in MvC3.

I notice your team shares a similar predicament as mine (Chris/Spencer/Sentinel) where you play keep-away but you have no notable "get-off-me" assist like Haggar Lariat or Tron Gustaff Flame. Without those kind of assists, once you get rushed down, you're on your own. Calling either Doom or Sentinel with your opponent near you is likely to set up Happy Birthday scenarios.

The first thing I would probably recommend is that you shouldn't probably play pure keep-away, which I think you know already. As Task, fire the arrows and throw out appropriate assists if they are far away, but once they close the distance, you have to fight them. Taskmaster has the right tools as his normals are pretty good. Doom is a little more difficult due to manueverability akwardness, but is still good nonetheless.

If they rush you down and you really just do not want to fight them head on, you have to block appropriately and pushblock when you think it's a good time to. After the push block, super jump over them (for task you can probably just fire the ground arrows to provide more coverage during your escape).

tl;dr
    Don't play pure keep-away. Have an adaptive strategy to fight them head-on when they approach.
    I hide my fraudulence with cool characters that no one else seems to like

I am sponsored by Marvelous Customs. Their dual mod services are top notch, and they make customizable sticks/frames/plexiglass covers. They also sell parts and T-shirts. Check them out: http://marvelouscustoms.com/
  • S1ammageS1ammage Joined: Posts: 20
    Keep away lockdown in this game is not as strong as it is in MvC2. It's almost inevitable that a competent player will rush you down in MvC3.

I notice your team shares a similar predicament as mine (Chris/Spencer/Sentinel) where you play keep-away but you have no notable "get-off-me" assist like Haggar Lariat or Tron Gustaff Flame. Without those kind of assists, once you get rushed down, you're on your own. Calling either Doom or Sentinel with your opponent near you is likely to set up Happy Birthday scenarios.

The first thing I would probably recommend is that you shouldn't probably play pure keep-away, which I think you know already. As Task, fire the arrows and throw out appropriate assists if they are far away, but once they close the distance, you have to fight them. Taskmaster has the right tools as his normals are pretty good. Doom is a little more difficult due to manueverability akwardness, but is still good nonetheless.

If they rush you down and you really just do not want to fight them head on, you have to block appropriately and pushblock when you think it's a good time to. After the push block, super jump over them (for task you can probably just fire the ground arrows to provide more coverage during your escape).

tl;dr
    Don't play pure keep-away. Have an adaptive strategy to fight them head-on when they approach.
    I got blown up by you last night!

I knew I saw you before! Haha I hope we never meet again ;-)

I was the measly 7th Lord running around with Wolv/Haggar/Arthur.

Loved the Chris/Spencer technology!

Any advice for me? That is... If you remember me at all... :(
  • shaktazukishaktazuki Heel-ground tortillas for sale! Joined: Posts: 538
    Ok, please forgive me; I read the first 2 posts but 17 pages is a bit much. If I may ask a very stupid question, to properly do an air combo, all you have to do is hold :uf: while your launcher is animating and you'll jump as high as you need to to do the :m::m::h::s: the missions call for?
  • GcYoshi13GcYoshi13 #1 PTX-40A Pilot Joined: Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I got blown up by you last night!

I knew I saw you before! Haha I hope we never meet again ;-)

I was the measly 7th Lord running around with Wolv/Haggar/Arthur.

Loved the Chris/Spencer technology!

Any advice for me? That is... If you remember me at all... :(

I remember, didn't see this post, sorry for late response.

Wolverine is simple enough, just get the hang of rushing down with him. Berseker slash is stupidly good. Dive kicks whenever. You know the drill.

Hagar is similar, but just don't pipe all day. People eventually sucumb to throws. Take advantage of some of Haggar's frame advantage. You got the guide right? The guide really shines for Haggar's case.

Make sure you have 3 meters for Arthur, his lvl 3 is really good and combined with x-factor, it's almost an instant kill. You want to use his lvl 3 to catch an opponent assist if possible.

Not much advise to give really, block better, rushdown better. Win.
    Ok, please forgive me; I read the first 2 posts but 17 pages is a bit much. If I may ask a very stupid question, to properly do an air combo, all you have to do is hold :uf: while your launcher is animating and you'll jump as high as you need to to do the :m::m::h::s: the missions call for?

For most characters, jumping as high as possible is advisable.

For some, jumping instantly after the launcher is not always recommended. Sentinel is an example here.

Some special launchers, you should not even jump forward at all. Haggar's 623A throws are a prime example of this. Forwarding jumping will cause Haggar to jump past his opponents.
    I hide my fraudulence with cool characters that no one else seems to like

I am sponsored by Marvelous Customs. Their dual mod services are top notch, and they make customizable sticks/frames/plexiglass covers. They also sell parts and T-shirts. Check them out: http://marvelouscustoms.com/
  • SiitchSiitch You don't know me don't bro me Joined: Posts: 237
    Thanks this helps a lot, Ive been wanting to play this game seriously for a long time, I've bene playing SF since Vanilla and realized zoning and pokeing is not for me but I've never had a problem with execution even if it was one frame links, then I saw this game, picked it up and got bodied because I just had absolutely no idea what to do. I felt like those early days of SF4 when youd play 10 Kens that would just DP 50times a round, thats how bad I was at this game, hopefully I can pick it up again and learn how to actually play it.
  • QiwisKiwiQiwisKiwi Joined: Posts: 166
    Sorry if I'm interrupting any heated arguments but..what's the difference between OTG and ground bouce? :O..
    The man with many Task partnered up with the Crimson Comedian all backed up with the Spinning feets of purple fury.
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Otg is lifting your opponent up from an untechable knockdown (when they just lay on the ground for some time instead of immediately rolling back or forward)
    Groundbounce, like wallbouce, is when your opponent is smashed into the ground by a certain attack (like a mid-combo Wolverine dive kick, or a :d: aerial Exchange) and pops back up without the need of an OTG, allowing you to continue comboing him.

Some groundbounce moves: :d: Aerial Exchange, Wolverine's dive kick (air :df::h:), Dante's Killer Bee (air :qcf::l:) and Beehive ( :dp::m: x2)
    Some wallbounce moves: Wesker's Ghost Butterfly ( :qcf::m:), Ryu's Joudan Kick ( :rdp::atk:)
    Some OTG moves: Wesker's downward gunshot ( :df::h:) , Tron's :d::h:, X-23 ankle slicer ( :qcf::m:)
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • QiwisKiwiQiwisKiwi Joined: Posts: 166
    Oh I see, thanks :)
    The man with many Task partnered up with the Crimson Comedian all backed up with the Spinning feets of purple fury.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    I have a question about something. In Guilty Gear, a player has access to certain air normals that can chain into themselves over and over, usually a light. With this- especially with Sol- it's possible to lock down the opponent as long as they don't burst (or in this game xfactor gaurd cancel>whatever move). If done right, and low enough to the ground...

wait... this game has air pushblock doesn't it? there goes that. sticking with round harvest or assist> throw. unless somebody has found something like the gg airblock. it would work only on someone who didn't pushblock -_-.
    round harvest> raw tag could create this situation though as long as the opponent is low enough to be hit by a grounded normal.

again, if there's anything like guilty gear "guard break" in this game, lemme know.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • DedemaruDedemaru Joined: Posts: 603
    Hey guys. I'm wondering who you guys would suggest works well with a team of Haggar & Thor. I'm currently using Dormammu and he's doing me fine, but in order to up my game, I wanna be able to make combos using assist (still learning how assists work). I know both Thor and Haggar have trouble with otgs and I wanna know who would work well with them overall that maybe has an otg assist? Any help is appreciated!
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Dormammu has an OTG assist. Haggar can Body Press for lots of damage afterwards, as all the hits connect.
  • etalageetalage Joined: Posts: 374
    Yeah I'm having issues with using OTG assists too. I'll hit S after M, M, H in the air. As soon as I hit S I am mashing an OTG assist but it always comes out way too late. Advice?
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973
    Yeah I'm having issues with using OTG assists too. I'll hit S after M, M, H in the air. As soon as I hit S I am mashing an OTG assist but it always comes out way too late. Advice?
    You need to delay your S or just do your whole combo a bit slower so when you hit S, your character is on their way down.
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.
  • AsTheWorldBurnsAsTheWorldBurns XFactor Mammory Cannon Joined: Posts: 41
    Quick question:

I have been playing with a slight alteration of the default button config: L-M-A1/ S-H-A2 ( With X-Factor activation being the main problem with this layout)

I grew accustomed to it before I realized that anyone who is remotely decent at MVC3 uses the L-M-H / S-A1-A2 config.

With this in mind, I decided to switch to it.

While I am still getting used to it, the main problem I have encountered is executing moves that require a simultaneous button press of H and S such as Wolvie's Drill Claw. I tried watching some videos to see how people execute this maneuver, (most notably the mission completions on Versper Arcade's youtube channel) but the player's hands are moving too quickly so I couldn't really pinpoint it.

So I'm asking how you guys go about executing moves that require a simultaneous input of H+S? Common sense tells me that one would use their ring finger and pointer finger to accomplish this but that feels so awkward that I'm hoping for a better way.

Thanks!
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973
    I think the majority (if not all) of the attacks that require S are just ATK + S, so any attack works. Just do L+S?
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.
  • AsTheWorldBurnsAsTheWorldBurns XFactor Mammory Cannon Joined: Posts: 41
    Ya. It's just really awkward for me. I suppose I just have to get used to it. Thanks for the response.
  • etalageetalage Joined: Posts: 374
    Quick question:

I have been playing with a slight alteration of the default button config: L-M-A1/ S-H-A2 ( With X-Factor activation being the main problem with this layout)

I grew accustomed to it before I realized that anyone who is remotely decent at MVC3 uses the L-M-H / S-A1-A2 config.

With this in mind, I decided to switch to it.

I did the same thing. : / Wondering whether or not I should worry about it.
  • GhostTearGhostTear BBLLOODDIIAA!!! Joined: Posts: 1,603
  • TarzanTarzan King of the apes Joined: Posts: 6
    Wow, this is an awesome thread, i've been reading it for awhile now and it has really helped me with understanding how to do certain combos and do certain moves. Thanks alot for such an awesome thread!
    "AYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAA!!!!"
    -Tarzan, King of the apes
    "dam it must be pretty hard to play fighting games when you were raised by gorillas."
    -Me
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TaRZaNStudios
  • W.E.M.P.W.E.M.P. ♥Mote of Dust♥ Joined: Posts: 43
    So to view the document for team building, do I just need to request permission or what :/ ??
  • denshuudenshuu You sayin I like videogames? Joined: Posts: 346
    It's when you switch from high block to low block really fast to increase your chances of blocking a mixup. In most fighting games, if you're hit during the transition from low to high or high to low, it will count as you being in whatever stance you needed to be in to block it.
    No time for love, Doctor Jones.
    It's when you switch from high block to low block really fast to increase your chances of blocking a mixup. In most fighting games, if you're hit during the transition from low to high or high to low, it will count as you being in whatever stance you needed to be in to block it.

Ah thank so much!
    *!!!FENG FOR SKULLGIRLS!!!*
  • drowsy22drowsy22 chunanigans Joined: Posts: 464
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's to increase odds of blocking. It sorta makes things connect that shouldn't.This vid does a nice job of explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZKhSCmhTnE
    SF4: Chun
    SFxT: Chun/Julia
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭

erm... not exactly. fuzzy guard as traditionally used is a 3d fighting term and refers to blocking mixups by immediatly ducking then quickly transitioning to a high block cause that will duck throws which hit high and quickly, whereas it will block mids cause they arent quick enough to hit. basically its done in frame tight situations and is really a bitch to get around in general.

in mvc3... players have been using it i guess, to refer to the state of blocking a high move, which actually makes characters blocking animation bigger... then in that small time when a character is in blockstun, there are certain overheads which will make contact which normally wouldnt. i dont know what that vid is referring to but its probably like the situation i described only it works on hit and block... perhaps. fuck magneto :)

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • MrSimtangMrSimtang Joined: Posts: 156
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm new to the game and have some trouble against dr dooms hidden missile assist and corner pressure.

Basically, I play a guy who uses taskmaster, amaterasu and dr doom. The fight usually gets me in the corner with him spamming dr doom hidden missile assist and amaterasu attacks over and over. I don't have time to get out or do anything. I push block, but the missiles keep me in my place, and amaterasu is so fast that he can hit me before an attack of mine gets out, or he'll mix it up and go for the grab and grab me. Either that or he's task master spamming spidey swing, sword slash, spidey swing, sword slash. Pretty sure it's an overhead so i have to constantly stand to block, then he does 50/50 mixups with low attacks or spidey swing again and stuffs me up, add to that, if he does tag me he finishes the combo with the super arrows and they do absurd damage.

I'm pretty much dead once I get in the corner. I'm having trouble with doom assist in general. I can't get combos out, because they're always falling on me and there's too much pressure from task master and ammy to get out.

Also, is it just me or is she hulk vs ammy a really bad matchup? Ammy is insanely fast for she hulk.

Any tips?

I play magneto/she hulk/akuma.
  • metalmattchewmetalmattchew Joined: Posts: 50
    Quick question, when doing a DHC how do you know which partner will come in?
    Quick question, when doing a DHC how do you know which partner will come in?

who ever is 2nd on you team/assist 1
    *!!!FENG FOR SKULLGIRLS!!!*
  • bleakybleaky - Joined: Posts: 9
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm new to the game and have some trouble against dr dooms hidden missile assist and corner pressure.

Basically, I play a guy who uses taskmaster, amaterasu and dr doom. The fight usually gets me in the corner with him spamming dr doom hidden missile assist and amaterasu attacks over and over. I don't have time to get out or do anything. I push block, but the missiles keep me in my place, and amaterasu is so fast that he can hit me before an attack of mine gets out, or he'll mix it up and go for the grab and grab me. Either that or he's task master spamming spidey swing, sword slash, spidey swing, sword slash. Pretty sure it's an overhead so i have to constantly stand to block, then he does 50/50 mixups with low attacks or spidey swing again and stuffs me up, add to that, if he does tag me he finishes the combo with the super arrows and they do absurd damage.

I'm pretty much dead once I get in the corner. I'm having trouble with doom assist in general. I can't get combos out, because they're always falling on me and there's too much pressure from task master and ammy to get out.

Also, is it just me or is she hulk vs ammy a really bad matchup? Ammy is insanely fast for she hulk.

Any tips?

I play magneto/she hulk/akuma.
    With Mags, counter or pushblock+disruptor or just magnetic blast makes a great GET OFF ME button. If you can, try to just land c.L to full combo for big damage. With Akuma and Shulk, pushblock at the appropriate time (i.e. when the assist isn't out), then either jump/flip/tatsu with akuma (covering with assists if you've selected the right ones for corner escape) or with shulk, create a mixup with slide kick, dragon kick (risky), or command grab. you know the one that dashes forward? yeah, that's the one. Ammy's pressure game is fucking staggeringly good, especially with the right assists, so don't feel bad if you have trouble getting out of there. Keep in mind that some moves can't be pushblocked. Tasky's much easier to deal with when he's got you in the corner because his tools aren't as oriented towards keeping you in the corner/moving task forward semi-safely, but his j.H should be pushblockable as well as punishable on block if you can punish with something that's fast enough as I believe that isn't safe either. I play task so my main instinct if the enemy blocks the > + H xx H string is to try S, land, S or M, H, < + H, CQF+H since that's a semi-safe string on block. Based on that you should be able to discern when pushblock or counters will work most of the time, but I give you that's an extremely dire situation to be in. Having said all that, you should do your best to not get in the corner with an ammy/task/doom team. That is just asking for death.
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,367
    Can someone explain frame traps?

Sent from your phone
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

• Strider ChippStrider Chipp Joined: Posts: 87
    My Story:

Hey what up guys,

I been playing alot of mvc3 and umvc3 lately. I know what I lose alot of my matches usually it's like 50 to 1, but I was playing against someone better than me they understand the game better than I do. I usually ask question but I sometimes I don't right responds to my questions. Usually my friends give my small tips, like waving dashing.

Problem:

I think my main issues with playing Umvc3 is i don't know how to punish attacks in the game. I know combos, but if you don't know how to punish attacks you get no damage in the match. Which usually happens with me, I'm excellent defensive player, but this can be easily defend with mix-ups and reset etc. Basically opening me up.

Question:

So how to do I learn how punish attacks? I hope you guys can give me some advice. Thanks in advance

P.S.
    Please don't tell me that i need more experience. I been playing fighters for years obliviously I'm making same mistake. It's time to learn and improve it seem
    fighter bring best out of people.
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,367
    snip
    Look at the frame data and/or look at the character's threads and see what is unsafe on block
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

• UnreallysticUnreallystic #MuricaF#ckYeah Joined: Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bah, not sure where to post, I simply need help wit hthe basics of MvC3, so my apologies if this is the wrong place. I'm a long time 'retired' MvC2 player who is still struggling to 'unprogram' MvC2 from his fingers and is having an even harder time since SF4 made me focus so much on timing my links (I can't P-link for shit so my links were just practice of timing.

It feels like to me MvC3 made comboes less about timing and more about hitting buttons as fast as possible, like something as simple as storm c.L, c.M, c.H, air.M, air M, air H, etc - feels like a 'mash' fest, its hit the buttons as fast as you can - but then the SF in me is accustom to double tapping buttons to cover bad execution - which is KILLING me with Dante - can't even get a standard ariel rave without screwing up an doing the 'shoot down' move. I'm just having an immeasurably hard time doing comboes in this game, that are based on any level of 'timing' as my internal clock is set to SF4 which is slower.

As well I am having *embarassingly* issues with the current lingo. You can't rol lwhen knocked down in MvC3 it seems...so whats techable knockdown verse untechable knockdown? Whats fuzzy guard? I think I finally got frame trapping the other day, though not sure I know how to do it (I'm a Gief player - so I'm assuming his c.lk x4 comboes can create frame trapping). Any help on these issues would be great, it sucks being moderate in MvC2 and becoming utter trash in MvC3 to the point of wanting to sell my copy of UMvC3 already.
    - :bluu:
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    Yeah, the first thing you really should learn in Marvel is to never, ever mash your way through combos. In a few cases, during certain hits it's alright (like mashing Dive Kick after a Drill Claw), but 95% of the time, you should be timing single button presses so they come out exactly when they're supposed to come out, as fast or slow as necessary. Playing Skrull will knock that habit out of you pretty fast, since everything under the sun cancels into Tenderizer, in the ground or in the air.

It's hard to do when you're still getting used to the game, but it will clean up your combo execution a ton if you just know exactly when to go from one move to another by practicing it without mashing. Some combos are practically impossible to do if you just mash instead of doing this (several Fly/Unfly combos and the Sentinel exchange combos, for example). Other combos can get a lot easier and more consistent if you time the hits properly, or extremely hard if you just try to do everything as fast as possible (Storm's :s: > sj. :m::m::h: > fly > :l::h: > [air-dash, :h:]x4 > :s: is a perfect example of this)

Make sure you don't double tap, it will mess up everything you do because of Marvel's chain combo system, as well as the fact that so many things are cancellable into other things (i.e. double-tapping an X-Factor cancel and getting the wrong move to come out afterwards, possibly wasting it completely and losing a character that it was meant to save).

On the terminology:
    Untechable (or Hard) Knockdown means the opponent will fall on the ground and stay there for a pretty long time before getting up. Techable (or Soft) Knockdown means they'll roll as soon as they touch the ground. The main reason this matters is you can only hit opponents with OTG (off the ground) moves and continue a combo after a knockdown if you hit them with something that causes a Hard Knockdown.

As a pretty good example of this in action, from vanilla MvC3 to UMvC3 they changed Dr.Doom's forward throws to cause a Hard Knockdown when it used to just be Soft. That makes it a lot easier to combo after now, since you can just OTG them after they land instead of having to try to hit them while they're still in the air to follow up.

Fuzzy guard means doing a block string that forces a blocking opponent's animation to be stuck on a particular position (standing or crouching) regardless of whether they're actually blocking in that position (i.e. having a standing animation when you're blocking low). This is mostly useful so their hitbox gets larger and they get hit by overheads that they would usually be able to crouch under. It's not really used much in Marvel, though I know Magneto has some pretty scary fuzzy guard setups that are extremely hard to block.
    Can someone explain frame traps?

Doing a series of attacks that have a small gap in them, so that if the opponent is mashing some move out to try to punish you after your block string is done, it instead comes out in the middle of your block string and they get counter-hit, giving you free hits. In other words, it's doing something you expect your opponent will try to punish, then timing your attacks so you counter-hit their punish.

Example: Both Skrull's Meteor Smash and Inferno are unsafe on block and you can chain from one to the other. Usually, if you block Meteor Smash, you can start mashing out something fast like a crouching :l: to punish it. If it gets cancelled to Inferno, you're still safe because it's a true block string when cancelled quickly (which is what most people do), and Inferno is still punishable, so you can keep mashing and your :l: won't come out until it's safe to hit him. If, however, he delays the cancel from MS to Inferno as late as possible, he can make it not be a block string and if you're mashing cr. :l:, your :l: will come out, then he'll cancel to Inferno and you'll get hit by it, which not only gives him damage, but also a possible reset following up the super.
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
    thanks, this game is making me wonder how the hell people can time comboes from different games...cause this is killin me trying to unprogram myself, I still hold 'down' when I hit S and then hit up to follow (which is why I had so many issues with Dorm and Storm's basic air comboes).
  • azprocazproc ^ loves dem Jingle Bells Joined: Posts: 2,789
    thanks, this game is making me wonder how the hell people can time comboes from different games...cause this is killin me trying to unprogram myself, I still hold 'down' when I hit S and then hit up to follow (which is why I had so many issues with Dorm and Storm's basic air comboes).

Turn off the auto super-jump in options. So your 'held down :s:' won't be as much of an issue.
    Sometimes I open SRK and am forced to say: notto disu shitto agen
    I actually don't play Marvel.
    I did that day one after I read about that non-sense. The issue isn't 'held down S' its actulind holding the direction down, like I have to do down up to SJ. I'm working on it, its just a nasty habit from all my Mags/Storm/Rogue triangle jumping days.
This discussion has been closed.