So You Wanna Go For a Ride?: Syke and Windy's MvC3 Basics Thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• BatsuBatsu Transfer Student Joined: Posts: 145
    Random question: and maybe it's in this thread already (I can't seem to find it through searching). How the [BEEP] do you keep from triggering Team Aerial Combo when doing aerial raves that end in a move that uses the S button (i.e. Haggar's Wild Swing, Ryu's new Hadouken). Sometimes if I delay the input of S after QCF for Wild Swing it works, but it often results in a dropped combo.
    Hot-Blooded Quote Of The Month: "No Grass On The Field? This Game Is Over." -- To Momo Karuizawa
  • DedemaruDedemaru Joined: Posts: 595
    Random question: and maybe it's in this thread already (I can't seem to find it through searching). How the [BEEP] do you keep from triggering Team Aerial Combo when doing aerial raves that end in a move that uses the S button (i.e. Haggar's Wild Swing, Ryu's new Hadouken). Sometimes if I delay the input of S after QCF for Wild Swing it works, but it often results in a dropped combo.

You gotta be more precise with your inputs. If you do the qcf right and the game registers it, you won't do a TAC. Practice your qcfs a lil' bit.

Can anyone tell me what exactly an instant overhead is? I'm using Firebrand and in training I'm using jump + L immediately after I get off the ground. Is this an instant overhead? Is it just an overhead attack that comes out really fast?
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177

Turn input display on. Usually when you get something like that, it's because you didn't hit the motion properly
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
  • BatsuBatsu Transfer Student Joined: Posts: 145
    You gotta be more precise with your inputs. If you do the qcf right and the game registers it, you won't do a TAC. Practice your qcfs a lil' bit.

so it's one of those Chun-Li Hyakuretsukyaku situations where you have to be extra careful with the inputs -- meh. One of the drawbacks of having a 4 attack button layout....
    Hot-Blooded Quote Of The Month: "No Grass On The Field? This Game Is Over." -- To Momo Karuizawa
  • K_For_KimuraK_For_Kimura I'll swing on you fool. Joined: Posts: 124
    Noob question, but wtf does it mean when you guys put (xx) and stuff in combos.. lol

I'm pretty sure .j is jump.. lol
    UMVC3: Captain America/Dormammu/Wesker
    SSFIV:AE: Akuma
    Level 4 Wesker, to the rescue!
    "For the pain, for the pain. Novacane, novacane."
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Got Dat Powa! Joined: Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xx is cancel

so medium xx hadoken means right after you hit mp, do the motion and button press for a hadoken during the animation of mp to cancel it. Same goes for special moves. to supers.
    - :bluu:
  • K_For_KimuraK_For_Kimura I'll swing on you fool. Joined: Posts: 124
    Is there a guide to the abbreviations or is it just common knowledge? lol
    UMVC3: Captain America/Dormammu/Wesker
    SSFIV:AE: Akuma
    Level 4 Wesker, to the rescue!
    "For the pain, for the pain. Novacane, novacane."
  • That Ol' SkrullThat Ol' Skrull Get Offa My Tarnax IV Joined: Posts: 218
    Can anyone help me out with plink dashing? I'm trying to get it down for both Viewitful Joe's double airdash, and for some of Ryu's mule kick combos. I kinda understand the concept, but the inputs and execution of it continue to evade me. I'm prolly doing something wrong.
    PSN ID: RezTS
    Follow me on twitter for the most uninteresting updates you'll ever read: www.twitter.com/ThatOlSkrull
    If you're in Austin and want to play some Marvel, please let me know. I'm always looking for local friends to play Marvel with.
  • fortunadofortunado Joined: Posts: 32
    Air throws, how do they work? I see some guys air throwing left and right I never really do it much. Is there some secret I'm missing? Do I need to sit in training mode and practice throws after a random tech?

What helped you recognize air throw situations and do it consistently?
  • TheCapeTheCape Joined: Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Not sure if it has been mentioned with the exchanges yet, but its possible to go back and forth between two characters.

For example, I was playing around last night and I was using Frank West (Char 1) and Nemesis (Char 2) to see if I could exchange to Nemesis and still relaunch for more damage. What I found out is that Frank does down exchange (as an example) and Nemesis can do jH, jdH, to standing S to relaunch. Already a great deal, but then since Nemesis hit the ground he has reset the order of the exchanges. This allows him to relaunch into a small combo such as jM,jM,jH, and then exchange again bringing back in Frank West. So even though I have three characters I was able to do Char 1 exchange to Char 2 into a relaunch (MUCH easier with teleport characters) into exchange back to Char 1. Very interesting and could have some interesting uses with things like Marlin Pie's Doom combo and Frank West leveling up settings.

Has this been found?

Looks like if you have assist 1 called and still recovering then it will aerial exchange to assist 2.
    If its not fun, I will just stop playing it.
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,355
    Why is this thread so dead especially for a beginner's guide?
    snip
    Yes, its actually easier with characters who have an 8 way air dash because they can just air dash to the ground then go straight into sS
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • TheCapeTheCape Joined: Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Is there a list of character fall speeds in order? If characters can only do certain combos on a character by size/fall speed then wouldn't it be good to have a list of each?
    If its not fun, I will just stop playing it.
  • HacdieuHacdieu Joined: Posts: 21
    Odd question, but would it be easier to follow the enemy after a launch by holding :uf: or holding :s:?
    I see on pro fights that they quickly tag the opponent after launch without actually reaching full super-jump height some times. It could be just how i play (holding :uf:) but i am floating in the air way more than i want in battle before i reach them.
    UMVC3 Teams:
    A: Nova (assist B), Spencer (assist B), Dr. Strange (assist Y)
    B: Morrigan (assist Y), Dr. Doom (assist B), Amaterasu (assist B)
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,355
    Odd question, but would it be easier to follow the enemy after a launch by holding :uf: or holding :s:?
    I see on pro fights that they quickly tag the opponent after launch without actually reaching full super-jump height some times. It could be just how i play (holding :uf:) but i am floating in the air way more than i want in battle before i reach them.
    Leaving on the "hold :s: for super jumping" option can mess up your combos and I dont think it's on in tournaments. Also, some characters require super jump canceling into a move so (like Dante) so it's best to leave it off. Quickly hitting the opponent after a launcher is probably bc they do :uf:+:atk: instead of :uf: then :atk:. Air combos depend on the character though
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • RyorusRyorus Joined: Posts: 6
    Hey Guys this is my first fighting game. I was wondering if there is a guide for basic terms that may be universal for fighting games, i have been reading some guides such as this one which have been very useful but there are still a lot of things i'm unfamiliar with such as character types (not sure how things such as zoning, keep away, etc work). People have tried to explain them briefly but i was hoping there may perhaps be a more detailed guide on these basics and perhaps some videos demonstrating them? Thanks

R
  • SaikyunSaikyun Joined: Posts: 25
    Hey Guys this is my first fighting game. I was wondering if there is a guide for basic terms that may be universal for fighting games, i have been reading some guides such as this one which have been very useful but there are still a lot of things i'm unfamiliar with such as character types (not sure how things such as zoning, keep away, etc work). People have tried to explain them briefly but i was hoping there may perhaps be a more detailed guide on these basics and perhaps some videos demonstrating them? Thanks

R
    Here are at least some descriptions over general terminology: http://iplaywinner.com/glossary
    Try googling for "fighting game basics" and such, something nice might come up.
  • RekkasRekkas Joined: Posts: 170
    What is the difference between wave dashing and plink dashing aside from the different inputs? Is one faster than the other?
  • Blue LightningBlue Lightning Portuguese Fighter Joined: Posts: 808 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure plink dashing is faster than wave dashing, especially if it's backdash since you just hold left and do the inputs quickly. Wavedashing backwards, in my experience, requires too much dexterity and quick fingers for how (little) quick it is. Better to just learn plinking instead.
    UMvC3: Main: Nova/Doctor Doom/Amaterasu; Former Team: Nova/Frank West/Amaterasu; Casual/Dream Team: Magneto/Dante/Frank and Doctor Doom/Dante/Frank
    SF4: Sakura/Chun-Li/Still Soul-searching :(
    PSN ID: BLightning91
    I'm pretty sure plink dashing is faster than wave dashing, especially if it's backdash since you just hold left and do the inputs quickly. Wavedashing backwards, in my experience, requires too much dexterity and quick fingers for how (little) quick it is. Better to just learn plinking instead.

Okay, I learned it not to long ago and I was beginning to wonder if it was worth learning plink dashing.
  • IsshunSengekiIsshunSengeki #HAMLORD Joined: Posts: 163
    Can I use this as a general beginner's advice thread?
    If not (of if my question is dumb or whatever), put me on blast for it. :P
    I'm looking to get into Marvel a bit more seriously. I have played a fair bit of it, but my knowledge doesn't really extend beyond a few BnBs for whatever characters I happened to mess around with. If I'm playing a match, I kinda have a hard time keeping up, so I'm not sure what it is I'm losing to a lot of the time. In general, I guess I just don't really know how to approach the game.
    I'm guessing the best way to learn is by playing and watching, so I've considered just x-copying top players and then getting into some matches so I can try and figure out the game. Most of my combo training time has gone into Dante, so I'm after some suggestions for a good Dante team, as well as notable Dante players I should look out for (I already know about Yipes).
    Thanks in advance, guys and girls. :D
    PSN: IsshunSengeki
    KOF XIII: Saiki/K'/Shen | BBCP: Azrael/Kagura
  • <Insert Name Here>&lt;Insert Name Here&gt; "top of the idiots" Joined: Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the best way to learn is by playing and watching, so I've considered just x-copying top players and then getting into some matches so I can try and figure out the game. Most of my combo training time has gone into Dante, so I'm after some suggestions for a good Dante team, as well as notable Dante players I should look out for (I already know about Yipes).
    Thanks in advance, guys and girls. :D
    There's a team thread in the Dante subforum you could check out: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/time-to-go-to-work-guys-dante-team-building-thread.127331/
    UMvC3: Wolverine/Doctor Doom/Dante
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    "The snow fell across the living, and the [flagged as spam]." - Smoothjazz101
    "hamtaro is a parable to the struggle of life" - Scrubeks
  • bastosbuttonsbastosbuttons Joined: Posts: 3
    how do you plink dash without whiffing the attajsck button?
    how do you plink dash without whiffing the attajsck button?

I don't that is possible because that is basically what plink dashing is.
  • TimTimTimTim T-T-T-Timmay! Joined: Posts: 1,299
    How do you backwards wavedash without plink dashing. I know you need to go from back to db and press 2 atks but does anyone have footage of this or can at least give me the exact inputs and timing tips?
    Just a lazy prick.
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Such Heroic Nonsense! Joined: Posts: 2,424 mod
    We've got a fresh new updated 2013 thread thanks to Cee Dizzy:
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Av by Savaii64
This discussion has been closed.