So You Wanna Go For a Ride?: Syke and Windy's MvC3 Basics Thread

Comments

• Syke1Syke1 For Those That Murded Me Shall... Joined: Posts: 11,101 mod
    Idk where they got this random idea for. Look at Demon Dash's thread on the SAN DIEGO COMICCON BUILD. The ABC scheme has always been in use. This is actually the first time I have heard the buttons being referred to as LMH
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
    ·
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Such Heroic Nonsense! Joined: Posts: 2,479 mod
    It's been A/B/C/ since they start.
    TvC's in game stated A/B/C and P (partner, logical since there was only one assist possibility), I don't see why we should suddenly changed that.

On topic: Good thread, this should help newcomers and give the vets a heads up what's changed :tup:
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Av by Savaii64
    ·
  • CongoJackCongoJack Joined: Posts: 35
    Nice general thread. The only thing I don't understand is why you would use X to mean plus instead of +. Especially considering X is usually used to denote cancel and there is already a pretty universal symbol for +.
    ·
    Because...it looks cooler. And it doesn't space out the motion from the button as much

QCFxA
    QCF+A

It blends better IMO
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

·
    eh it really comes off like you're just trying to make it complex for the sake of complexity
    ·
  • WindsagioWindsagio OG random Joined: Posts: 2,506
    I think it's about time to go 'if you wanna change the key, make your own damn beginners guide, no wait you didn't'.

Let's focus on improving the info not on wrangling over minor stupid crap.
    Triumph in the glory of me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzmQrtDkqg
    ·
    True words.

So I think I'm going to hold off on the Resets, Mixup, and situational stuff until we are more familiar with the engine (which will probably be release) Good idea?

·
    Understandable, wasn't trying to bitch it up, just came off confusing in contrast to standardized Fighting game terminology.
    ·
    I was trying to think of things to add that are more unique to vs to add, should probalby link to the srkwiki page for mvc2 or at least look at it, there's some good info there that we can reuse.

I was thinking as worth adding:

OTG/Groundbounce
    General description of trap/keepaway vs rushdown
    wavedashing
    trijumps and instant overheads.

Those are all things that are pretty steady and we know a ton about.
    ·
    Updated my 2nd post with some more tech crap. Just to be sure, tech rolls are inputted the same as in 2 correct?

·
  • E CE C Joined: Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    And the game never titled the X-Factor Cancel.

No, it's not officially X-Factor Cancel, just like it's not officially Focus Attack Dash Cancel. But you are taking an official term (X-Factor and Focus Attack) and appending what you're naturally doing (canceling or dash canceling) to make a pretty intuitive term. Regardless, KFC is not or will never be the official name; it's simply what the community calls it. THAT's the argument.
    Somethings wrong with the link.

Hmm, weird. But here's another.

E3: MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 MOVE?LIST - iPLAYWINNER - FIGHTING GAME NEWS STRATEGY & MEDIA

In the first pic, you can see Light Attack, Medium Attack, and Heavy Attack.

Also, on the official site for TvC:

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS

...it's referred to as Light Attack, Medium Attack, and Strong Attack.

Over at eventhubs:

Basic gameplay details for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom : EventHubs.com

...the guide uses the buttons L, M, and H.

Over at iplaywinner:

TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM GAMEPLAY SYSTEM - FIGHTING GAME NEWS STRATEGY & MEDIA

...their guide uses Light Attack, Medium Attack, and Hard Attack.

I don't want to sound like I'm the L,M,H champion here, since, again, I'm learning a new convention either way. But the community alone came up with the A,B,C convention, for both TvC and MvC3. Again, the inconsistency is the same: What the community has accepted vs what the game itself calls it.
    ·
    let it die man, let it die. It's not changing :P

Edit: Also added some wavedashing and Instant overhead info >>

Also, have another friend whose not into FG's at all but has done some editing work, gonna get her to read it if I can :D
    ·
    I was just saying it never had an official name. That's why people called it what it was called. And to keep it 100% that was the first time I have seen that pic. But I have heard Seth use ABC, and the boards have been using ABC since June. So my main argument was WTF why are people bitching about it now outta nowhere. Today was the first time ever I heard people call them LMH.

With that said, shit isn't changing and convo is over. That just made me sound like an asswad but tbh that whole argument wasted 2 pages that could've been used to help improve this shit. And nothing was accomplished in the process.

·
  • E CE C Joined: Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    EDIT- For interest of keeping this incredibly useful thread about incredibly useful info, I'm putting my response about A,B,C vs L,M,H in the TvC mechanics thread.
    ·
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭✭
    For my character thread I think I'm just going to use

Q - Quick attack
    S - Strong Attack
    F - Fierce Attack
    X - eXchange
    P - Primary partner tag team special
    A - Auxiliary partner tag team special

And type out "Canceling the active and recovery frames of your hyper combos by activating X-Factor" longhand every time.

imo

I guarantee you your topic will be locked and someone else with common sense will make the official one.

ANYWAY... why cant we use the numerical system since MvC3 uses ABCE A1 A2?

j.A, B, B, C, 236B xx 236AB xx KFC, 236AB xx DHC 214AB

over

j.A, B, B, C, QCF+B xx QCF+AB xx KFC, QCF+AB xx DHC QCB+AB

I think the plus sign really adds lengthiness to the notation and the original notation is all letters which is hard to read in chunks.

Blazblue notation for MvC3.
    ·
    So you are assuming everyone new here would be braindead and can't associate ABC with LMH even though I stated it in the
    legend and many other games also use the ABC notation? You're underestimating them IMO. You should also understand if people are already familiar with Vs titles then they don't even need to be here. MvC3 doesn't even use punches or kicks anymore so idk how it will even be familiar to SF players. Especially since there seems to be no problem with people using Jab, Strong, Fierce, Short, Forward, and Roundhouse. No complaints on that end. Dude the convo has been over and nothing was solved.

And numerics are for the Japanese lol. If I'm not playing GG/BB I don't wanna see #s

·
    That must have been meant for the other guy.

I could care less about L/M/H/E vs A/B/C/E

I have a problem with the notation being all upper case letters. QCF vs 236 is easier on the eyes.
    ·
  • NickRocksNickRocks MvC2 sucks Joined: Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guarantee you your topic will be locked and someone else with common sense will make the official one.

ANYWAY... why cant we use the numerical system since MvC3 uses ABCE A1 A2?

j.A, B, B, C, 236B xx 236AB xx KFC, 236AB xx DHC 214AB

over

j.A, B, B, C, QCF+B xx QCF+AB xx KFC, QCF+AB xx DHC QCB+AB

I think the plus sign really adds lengthiness to the notation and the original notation is all letters which is hard to read in chunks.

Blazblue notation for MvC3.

i hate the numerical notation, and ill never use it

anyways, just thought the wavedashing part should be added
    Niggas get played this the ps4 house, spending dirty money at the 3rd world ho house
    Strip club love me cause I trick off stacks...then I rob the bitch, give my money back
    Pushin weight off, throwing it up; pills in her mouth, coke in her butt
    ·
    Long winded comboes are going to look fucking SILLY using all letters notation. Are you kidding?
    ·
  • Deadpoolfanssj4Deadpoolfanssj4 Best Username Ever. Joined: Posts: 818
    Number notation is for men who sit down when they pee.

I fully support the coming 10 page argument about notation.
    ·
    Long winded comboes are going to look fucking SILLY using all letters notation. Are you kidding?

since when?

for mvc2 long combos didnt look silly. look at iron mans infinite for example

Standard Unfly infinite: [lk, U+HP xx FLY, f.lk, f.U+hp xx unfly, U+hp, aduf]

if we use mvc3 controls it could easily be something like

Standard Unfly infinite: [A, u+C xx FLY, f.A, f.U+C xx unfly, U+C, aduf]

no silly at all IMO. someone did a writeup of dantes 100% using letters and it wasnt silly.

saying simpy u., d., cr., or qcf beats 2 or 8 or 5 or 7 or whatever the hell the number pad is supposed to be
    Niggas get played this the ps4 house, spending dirty money at the 3rd world ho house
    Strip club love me cause I trick off stacks...then I rob the bitch, give my money back
    ·
    Thats because you have lower case in MvC2 controls. MvC3 is ABCE so all the notation would be upper case its scientific fact that all cap blocks of text are more difficult to process.
    ·
    Thats because you have lower case in MvC2 controls. MvC3 is ABCE so all the notation would be upper case its scientific fact that all cap blocks of text are more difficult to process.

lol wut..who said we HAVE to put cr or d or u in upper case?

the fact remains if youre making a beginners thread on iron man, and you tell a noob up+A, they will get that easier then telling them 6A or whatever up is in the number system.

and how do you tell someone to super jump in TvC notation? 28? lol gtfo. sj.A makes more sense and is easier to comprehend
    ·
    When has SRK ever gave a fuck about Billy Bob wanting to learn 2d fighters?
    ·
    When has SRK ever gave a fuck about Billy Bob wanting to learn 2d fighters?

facepalm.jpeg

im not even bothering with this thread til i have something substantial to contribute aside from arguing with someone being purposefully dense
    ·
    Well..OBVIOUSLY[/Antoine Dobson]
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,288 mod
    Because I believe MvC2 used traditional letter notation. And L, M, H for the attack strengths, only difference being that there are no P and K letter now to differentiate between punch and ick.

That and this is SRK where we can use "smileys" like :qcf: and :hcb:.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Well I can read it all, I was going for simplicity.

So just a heads up ill be using numpad notation when I type out MvC3 commands.
    ·
    and ill use letters or smileys :tup: its a win win!

*tho, i will ask you to translate your numberspeak*
    ·
    Look at your keyboard.

5 is neutral. 6 is forward. 8 is up. So 236 would be the fireball motion.

This is like soooo old!
    ·
    lol guys, at this rate we're gonna have the notation inquisition getting all Torquemada on our asses >>
    ·
    More like How To Argue 101: The Disagreement Thread. Something so positive is tearing us apart.

·
    So seriously, what else do we need to add that people need to know?

Help us out people >>
    ·
  • Nitro NoodlezNitro Noodlez ヽ(*゚д゚)ノ Joined: Posts: 5,878
    Nice guide!:tup:
    Did you guys put in a section for Advancing Guard mechanics?
    ·
  • gilleygilley 3D Aminator Joined: Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I like how people say the official TvC buttons are A,B,C...go turn on training mode and take a look at what they're called. It's definately not A,B,C.

Seriously, wtf? You lose all credibility when you make such comments.
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
    ·
    Wow, dude! Extending this utterly retarded argument sure is helpful! Thanx!!
    ·
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    I just read the first few posts, and I have to say two things

1.) I applaud the hard work you are putting into this
    2.) There is a lot of misinformation in these posts.

Do you want me to post some of the things that need a re-write or a fix here, or do you want me to just edit them directly?
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
    ·
    i just read the first few posts, and i have to say two things

1.) i applaud the hard work you are putting into this
    2.) there is a lot of misinformation in these posts.

Do you want me to post some of the things that need a re-write or a fix here, or do you want me to just edit them directly?

info please!
    ·
    Can't speak for syke, but do whatever you want with mine. I'll edit for style of course :p

Only got to pay at evo so my info is almost entirely gleaned second our third hand >> Curious where I went wrong tho'

And thanks ahead of time ;)

Edit: I should say just do whatever is easier for you, i do this crap at work (same job as daigo lol, gives you lots of downtime). If you do just edit tho plz let us know ;)
    ·
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    x rather than + is just being obtuse IMO.

Also while I prefer number notation, there is no reason to argue about it when arrows are just better than everything. Use arrows.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    ·
    its tw different meanings, x is cancel, + is in conjunction with
    ·
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    That's what it should be, yes.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    ·
    I just wanna stay consistent :p

Also each time I see new posts I think maybe I got corrections incoming.

Some time I should tell you folks all about tard farming as a career.
    ·
  • .Guy..Guy. STUPID SEXY ROCKET RACCOON! Joined: Posts: 1,905
    Yeahhh...I noticed some false stuff too. BAD Windy. BAD. Go sit in the corner and pray the Colonel has mercy on your soul.
    Lieutenant Colonel of the M.O.D.O.K. AVENGERS
    MadTitan brand toothpaste, for the god-like toothy smile. Get it now!
    (Not responsible for the loss of YOUR SOUL)
    UMvC3: Joe/RR/Assmaster, Joe/FrankBest/RR
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
  • General GoukenGeneral Gouken M.O.D.O.K. AVENGERS Joined: Posts: 641
    This thread is really well done thank you Syke. I love that you take the time and effort to make everything neat and pretty too.

Btw I'm gonna beat the dead horse and say the numpad system is dumb. :dp::p: the smileys are awesome, require no explanation, are far less annoying, and not using them is just laaaaazy.
    Taskmaster: You both have faces that make children cry... Oh, wait. That's just you.
    Deadpool: Oh, you're one to talk with that stupid skeleton face on your... face.
    Taskmaster: Oh, you mean this mask that I can take off?
    Deadpool: &#$% you, Taskmaster.
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,288 mod
    I see no mention of snap-backs, double-snaps and other ways to punish assists (double launch/air combo).
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Argh you arses!! Forced me to take away me Xtreme qualities!!!

@Keits: uh post it plz so we can see what we got wrong
    I see no mention of snap-backs, double-snaps and other ways to punish assists (double launch/air combo).

And we were gonna get to that, when we have time

·
  • Clear SkyClear Sky Wolf Shirt Joined: Posts: 3,299
    This thread is really well done thank you Syke. I love that you take the time and effort to make everything neat and pretty too.

Btw I'm gonna beat the dead horse and say the numpad system is dumb. :dp::p: the smileys are awesome, require no explanation, are far less annoying, and not using them is just laaaaazy.

Directional smilies work only for written language. How are you going to say it without sounding long-winded and redundant in speech?

If numpad notation was dumb it wouldn't be used by multiple scenes in multiple games. And also, you wouldn't see Japanese players use it even for Capcom games.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what notation the game uses. Anyone can learn to be proficient at any notation, as long as it's effective and efficient. Personally, I think use ABCE is better since everyone has more experience with it than LMH. Using LMH because it's official seems silly to me, since our American scene has never been like that. If we did, we would of never used jab strong fierce. Japan doesn't.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQA-KTzaPA
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    ·
  • Robo-mitsuRobo-mitsu Shinobiest Bitch! Joined: Posts: 2,983
    Directional smilies work only for written language. How are you going to say it without sounding long-winded and redundant in speech?

Wait what? We're talking about notations for the forum right? Why would we have to 'say' it?

And at any rate all you'd have to say is 'quarter circle forward A' or 'QCF A' or 'DP C' for :qcf::snka: and :dp::snkc:.

The only other option would be to say 'two, three, six A' which is pretty difficult to understand without a number-pad at hand. Substituting ABC for LMH wouldn't make it any easier to 'say'. You'd say smiley the same way you'd say anything that isn't number pad notations.
    He has risen! I declare the 20th July National Ninja Day!

PSN: DemonKingLaharl (All the good usernames were taken. :sweat:)
    ·
    since our American scene has never been like that. If we did, we would of never used jab strong fierce. Japan doesn't.

That's what I was saying. I never have seen complaints over that before.

·
This discussion has been closed.