Smokin' Sick Style! The Dante General Discussion Thread!

Comments

• GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    I actually found that my problem was no delaying it enough. Meaning finishing the teleport motion before the stinger even connects
  • shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503
    How do you guys feel about dante using grapple hook for solo mixups?

I play him 2nd on my teams and most of the time I only have hidden missles with him. I know about the hidden missles mixup off the grapple but sometimes I use the missles to create a mixup and they hit so I obviously can't use it @ the end of my combo.

Solo off the hook he can do

dash under c.m meaty
    dash under adf h meaty I think? double cross
    dash but stay front side c.m
    dash but stay front side, jupfwd, adb j.h

I think its decent but I just started fucking with grapple hook this week. I do love the mixups you get with missles after grapple hook but that can't be achieved every time. Especially on certain builds or if you lose a character. Dante is always capable of comboing into grapple hook solo though. off hammer he can do gun loops, fwd+H grapple. On AA s.m, s.h, s, he can follow up with dive kick, dash back s, guns, fwd+h and everyone knows the other setup that starts off fwd+h.

I'm not sure if its been posted before but dante can do j.s and if you cancel a special as he falls to the ground, dante will land neutral with all the +frames off jump s without the recovery of jump S. I've seen the other variations on this glitch with the bold cancel and dash cancel but those had weird problems. bold cancel off jump s has punish time because you can hit bold cancel after a certain period of time after the first 4 frames and when you use the dash cancel off jump s, you have to dash block which means for a brief amount of time you can be hit. cancelling a speical off jump S allows dante to hit the ground with a dwnbck input and block. I usually do this with qcf+m, the special never animates either. Sometimes I try jump s, qcf, dwnbck+m to get an instant block. It just negates the landing recovery off the jump s. anyone else know about this?
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
  • QiwisKiwiQiwisKiwi Joined: Posts: 166
    Question for ya'll, how rewarding is it when you guys mastered Dante? I was always curious to try and learn him but I got too intimidated to learn him, so I didn't even touch him. Thank you everyone :).
    The man with many Task partnered up with the Crimson Comedian all backed up with the Spinning feets of purple fury.
  • IcyieIcyie Joined: Posts: 257
    It's VEEEEEEERY rewarding once you get more comfortable with his tools that you can combo without thinking too much and approach without thinking too much. It's satisfying once you can actually mix your opponents up properly with IAD's, lows, blockstrings, teleports and other stuff. I'm having a great time playing him now after weeks of acidrain-teleports and random j.S's lol.
    It's VEEEEEEERY rewarding once you get more comfortable with his tools that you can combo without thinking too much and approach without thinking too much. It's satisfying once you can actually mix your opponents up properly with IAD's, lows, blockstrings, teleports and other stuff. I'm having a great time playing him now after weeks of acidrain-teleports and random j.S's lol.
    Ha! You really think so? I wish I could've "attempted" to learn him in Vanilla, at least this'll also be a fun adventure in learning Dante... you got any tips or habits I should adapt to when using Dante?
    The man with many Task partnered up with the Crimson Comedian all backed up with the Spinning feets of purple fury.
  • StEpSzStEpSz Guns, Hooks and Swords!! Joined: Posts: 362
    Ha! You really think so? I wish I could've "attempted" to learn him in Vanilla, at least this'll also be a fun adventure in learning Dante... you got any tips or habits I should adapt to when using Dante?

learn to utilize air play. it's his main tool when playing his neutral game, from there, you can go into mixups, rushdown setups, or just continue to throw out air play to zone and keep a distance between you and your opponent.
    UMvC3: Spencer/Dante/Dr Doom
  • Ajtucker22Ajtucker22 Blue Lantern of Earth. Joined: Posts: 818
    When I first started playing him in Vanilla, I don't think I was entirely doing it wrong, but I wasn't doing it right either. I kept trying to just "out normal" everything, which back then wasn't too bad. But coming from van to ult where his normals got nerfed hard, I had never learned to utilise all of his other tools.

j.236b, 236b, 236c, 214a all have their uses, along with a good amount more moves in the nuetral game. It's up to you to learn when/where to use them.

Also, flashy combos!~ They feel so good to do once you get them 100%
    Move fast and have hope.
    learn to utilize air play. it's his main tool when playing his neutral game, from there, you can go into mixups, rushdown setups, or just continue to throw out air play to zone and keep a distance between you and your opponent.
    Fo sho, number 1thing in Dante 101, if you're not Airplaying, you're not Dante-ing. I see him strut his guitar everywhere all the time! Guy sure loves his music.
    When I first started playing him in Vanilla, I don't think I was entirely doing it wrong, but I wasn't doing it right either. I kept trying to just "out normal" everything, which back then wasn't too bad. But coming from van to ult where his normals got nerfed hard, I had never learned to utilise all of his other tools.

j.236b, 236b, 236c, 214a all have their uses, along with a good amount more moves in the nuetral game. It's up to you to learn when/where to use them.

Also, flashy combos!~ They feel so good to do once you get them 100%
    Flashy combos is what Dante's all about! However, don't your finger's get tired? Props to those with that kind of dexterity... I'm getting hype now.
  • shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503

yea, that is a really good starting point for newer players. If you can't use air play in all its forms during neutral, you're not going to do very well.

I think another good starting point for dante players is actually picking a good dante team. Since his normals are so slow, he can't win any in close wars with speed. Everything has to be done further out and you have to learn to use his slower normals effectively. I think that is the hardest part about him honestly.

bold blocking is a high level trick with dante and most people do it on supers because of how easy it is there but I think the next layer for bold blocking will be doing it against normals which is 100x harder to do. supers give you that screen flash to try to time it, mid-game there is none of that shit. Dante is one of the few characters that can go for combo starters all day and if you wiff, you can always save your ass.
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
    Flashy combos is what Dante's all about! However, don't your finger's get tired? Props to those with that kind of dexterity... I'm getting hype now.
    Vergil combos make my finger hurt more, holding down a single button for a long period of time hurts. Dante combos really aren't hard though, they're mostly timing based. Except for bold cancel, but that comes natural the moment it clicks in your head you never think about it anymore.
    Move fast and have hope.
    Vergil combos make my finger hurt more, holding down a single button for a long period of time hurts. Dante combos really aren't hard though, they're mostly timing based. Except for bold cancel, but that comes natural the moment it clicks in your head you never think about it anymore.

Yeah, once you get the muscle memory and timing down, you'll be able to think "Oh I'll bold cancel this" or "bold cancel that" and actually do it in game without thinking much. And you get to be flashy. Best reason ever.

When you find yourself becoming more consistent and you are able to do his more flashy and advanced combos that can be over 15-20 seconds in length, yes your fingers will start to cramp up, but you will get used to it, and eventually the pain will go away, the cramps will also reside faster once you are less button mashy and you start punching in the precise inputs, after a while the inputs will feel as smooth as butter.

Also the trick to proper spacing with Dante is to always keep your opponent within swinging distance of his sword, that way in most cases no matter how fast your opponents normals are, they will get stuffed harder than when Shaq played for the Lakers.
    Snip.
    Coincidence that I'm also learning Magneto? I'm curious, Stinger is a great poking tool, and you're able to BC it into Volcano, to start a combo from about... 2 and a half Ryu's away. Is it just me or is there a reason people don't use this.

Ha! Vergil Vergil... hey, no pain, no gain right? I mean... Vergil IS one of the best character's in the game. In the long run, You'll be glad that you've practiced with Vergil :), and hey! Maybe you'll be able to play some Zero... and since you're already a Dante player... Zero May Cry team in the future for ya? Maybe so...

When you find yourself becoming more consistent and you are able to do his more flashy and advanced combos that can be over 15-20 seconds in length, yes your fingers will start to cramp up, but you will get used to it, and eventually the pain will go away, the cramps will also reside faster once you are less button mashy and you start punching in the precise inputs, after a while the inputs will feel as smooth as butter.

Also the trick to proper spacing with Dante is to always keep your opponent within swinging distance of his sword, that way in most cases no matter how fast your opponents normals are, they will get stuffed harder than when Shaq played for the Lakers.
    You're right! Like my teacher says," Practice makes Permanent". So spacing seems to be that important with Dante huh... I think I see why Air play is crucial to his neutral game now...

By the way... do you guys happen to know how many frames it is to cancel Stinger into Volcano? Or does it vary with what special you're canceling into... or is it confidential to speak of frames on SRK.

Thank you all for the info everyone, you've all been very helpful to me...:china:
    snip
    lol, vergil combos aren't difficult at all, much easier then Dante combos. You don't need much time practiced with him, It was only about a few days before he already felt like a solid member of my team. That was a few months ago. And no, I may be cheap but not cheap enough to pick up Zero. Wesker is a fine enough edition to the team, and he allows Vergil to do a lot more and gives him easier confirms. As well as good set ups with both the twins.

And yes, spacing is VERY important to dante. You need to be able to know what fights are in your favor and how to pick your fights. Against haggar you don't want to be going in all HAM, so knowing when to do 236b or 236c is some thing very important. As well as knowing when to call your assists. If he's just made a really bad call you can really punish him by dashing under and just doing BCS, but don't get trigger happy with it. Dante is secretly a zoning character, he just needs one more good tool in his arsenal to solidify that, something assists do well. (The reason I like using Storm and Vergil assist with him, pushes them full screen)

With Wolvy and characters alike, you can't let him get too close, he's got his optimal range and you have yours. You want to make sure to either stay at yours or further. Spacing is very match up dependent and with a game with as many assists as this one, it changes. Playing is the only real way you'll learn.

As for the stinger into volcano, I'm not sure and I could be throwing this off of the top of my head, but I believe it's about 4f? I could be terribly wrong. The timing on it is much more important, though, it doesn't seem to be too tight of a window, but you don't have all day to do it either. You should always have enough time to hit confirm it, though, even if you've just done C, 6C.
    Move fast and have hope.
  • CriminalUpperCriminalUpper =D Joined: Posts: 3,028
    Coincidence that I'm also learning Magneto? I'm curious, Stinger is a great poking tool, and you're able to BC it into Volcano, to start a combo from about... 2 and a half Ryu's away. Is it just me or is there a reason people don't use this.

Bad idea since Volcano will whiff anywhere outside close range. Stick to Reverb>Fireworks
    Snip.
    Trenchcoat Mafia, lesgo. You know, I'm surprised there hasn't been any top player's using this team, the team has absurd normals, all powerful of anchor position, TOD's, very surprising...

I'm guessing drones and missiles are what solidifies Dante's zoning game. Dante can pretty much do whatever he wants provided you give him the assist required to, and people say Dante is ass...such rubbish.

Cool, I thought knowing the frames would give me an idea of how fast I should be going then. Mucho thank you sir.
    Bad idea since Volcano will whiff anywhere outside close range. Stick to Reverb>Fireworks
    Shame, Reverb Shock it is.
    Team "Trench Coat" is overrated imo. There are much better Dante teams out there, everyone already knows Dante/Vergil is good, but Wesker provides little for the team besides unblockables for Dante.
    Team "Trench Coat" is overrated imo. There are much better Dante teams out there, everyone already knows Dante/Vergil is good, but Wesker provides little for the team besides unblockables for Dante.
    It is overrated, scrubs just love the way the team looks. It just screams to a typical "cool" teenage boy, especially when they're wearing black.
    Man I just finished having an epic set with Cloud805er, and he is fucking crazy good, I was kind of able to hold my own against him, final score was 16-26 Cloud, some sick Dante tech was flying back and forth from both of us though, I should have fucking recorded that shit T_T
    I wouldn't call "trenchcoats" overrated. First off, I don't really see anyone use it.... 2nd, it may not be optimized for Dante, but it's an overall good team. I run vergil/wesker/dante, which is optimized for Vergil IMO. He get's easier confirms that do more damage off of any hit, and a really good assist to make him safe/give him safe mix ups. And then if vergil does die you have wesker coming in with dante assist, which is no slouch either. Dante may not be optimized, but lv3xf dante sure is fun as hell.

And for certain match ups I'll put dante up front, giving him a decent zoning assist with Vergil. Wesker may not provide much for Dante, but he provides for the team in both his assist and, in general, being on the team.
    Move fast and have hope.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    I had some success with Dante on point teleporting in with Haggar's violent axe assist at mid range. Depending on their movement i can land on either side and go to town.

One question. After landing an air dash m/h what do i follow up with when i land? I get blocked pretty much overtime.
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
    I had some success with Dante on point teleporting in with Haggar's violent axe assist at mid range. Depending on their movement i can land on either side and go to town.

One question. After landing an air dash m/h what do i follow up with when i land? I get blocked pretty much overtime.

Continue with :m: :h: BC volcano into combo. If you do the IAD M/H low enough it should hit.
    Continue with :m: :h: BC volcano into combo. If you do the IAD M/H low enough it should hit.

That must be it. I am dashing too high. But that's ok as i already know to go into weasel shot and frame trap into stinger
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
  • RykendawgRykendawg Joined: Posts: 382
    Now that a decent amount of time has past, What are the ways that people can get out of the grapple unblockable now (if any now)? Before it was hard tags and snapbacks (not sure if its true though). Just wondering if you guys found ways countered them yet. I know there is a counter to the hard tag but I don't know about the other ways (if it was anymore).
    GT: IllusionGodfist
    PSN: TheAzureFlash
    Fighter ID: BlueStar

Yooo, MastaCJ is back and rockin Dante/ Dorm/ Doom!...Good to see him again.
  • shrekbadshrekbad Joined: Posts: 33
    hi does anyone have a video of dante doing 3 volcano jump cancel with strider assits I saw it in the front page I think. it was a combo video with dante/strider/ sentinal
    hi does anyone have a video of dante doing 3 volcano jump cancel with strider assits I saw it in the front page I think. it was a combo video with dante/strider/ sentinal
    Its in the most recent page of the combo thread.

So I try to play dante to sorta kinda Zone and keep away. What are your opinions on Dante an Zoning?

But I just noticed I forgot ALL about Drive. I feel like a moron now.

i use the zoning to setup opportunities to get in with magneto Disruptor or force advantage with Haggar's violent axe assist
  • eternalfateeternalfate just bring it Joined: Posts: 54
    so im a dante noob is there any merit to using devil trigger in a dante combo outside of it being stylish?
    UMVC3: zero, dante, vergil

peace in christ
    Damage bonus and move canceling so you can continue from stuff like Million Carats. Although the primary function would be the canceling since Dante's damage scales so hard anyway and it's actually detrimental outside of finishing a character since it cancels your meter gain.
    so im a dante noob is there any merit to using devil trigger in a dante combo outside of it being stylish?
    Devil trigger gives you new mix-ups, new specials (some of the best attacks in the game), health regen, a damage boost, continuing pressure, and help in match-ups.

Edit: disregard this.

Devil trigger gives you new mix-ups, new specials (some of the best attacks in the game), health regen, a damage boost, continuing pressure, and help in match-ups.

He said in a combo.
    He said in a combo.
    I look at it wrong.

• Din0Din0 Retired Joined: Posts: 4,158
    I've been playing Dante on point for the past 2 weeks and I was wondering what are his best beginning of the round options against say, a Wolverine or Hulk with Drones backing him up? Wolverine just mauls me to death and my tele-Disruptor shenanigans are countered by Hulk's super armor. When I try to zone them out with Air Play they power through with a Zerker Slash or Gamma Charge and Hysteric spam only goes so far :(
    Magneto/Doom/Dante | Magneto/Doom/Phoenix | Magneto/Morrigan/Doom
    PSN: davidyes
    I see you play dante/vergil/mags.

Against Hulk, I know it seems counter intuitive, but I start Vergil. If Hulk jumps, you can 5H him, since he has no super armour. Otherwise, just block. With both characters. Not much else you can do, really.

As for Wolverine, you really just gotta out play him. They usually walk forward and then last minute jump go for air throw/dive kick. I usually just let them jump, let it go over me and build my ground that way. Dont' go back, you're putting yourself in the corner. Try and read them and go over or under them.
    Move fast and have hope.
    fighting against any good Hulk can be a problem, especially backed up with drones or missiles can make it extremely difficult(lol trust I know this) be careful when going for that H with Vergil though, some Hulks go for super jump H then JS as a bait to get our opponent to try and dash under or go for some sort of attack or air grab, only for them to get donked on the head with Jumping S.
  • jak d riprjak d ripr Joined: Posts: 7,353

Im not sure either tbh, he gets a 15% damage boost but thats really not worth it since the overall damage boost is less than what he gets from just finishing with a million dollars. Another reason might be to get health back while your comboing the opponent, since its guaranteed health as opposed to activating it in the neutral game and then getting shot and losing dante and the bar if you catch my drift.

But its funny you should ask because I was coming her to ask about DT. How do you guys feel about it in general? Is it worth it? I mean the amount of stuff he gets in return seems worth it, health regen, 15 percent damage boost, 2 of the cheapest moves in the game, flight, triple jump, double dash. But with all that said, I don't see a lot of dantes using it, but I don't watch a lot of dantes anyway and its generally believed there aren't too many good dantes to begin with.

So long story short, how do y'all feel about it? Is it worth it in general? And what are some good circumstances to activate it? Btw, I does anyone know how much health he regenerates? It says 2000 red health per frame for 600 frames but that adds up to 1,200,000 which is more health than dante even has(unless my math is mistaken). Anyone have a solid number of how much health he gets back all together?
  • DarksimDarksim Joined: Posts: 896
    I've been playing Dante on point for the past 2 weeks and I was wondering what are his best beginning of the round options against say, a Wolverine or Hulk with Drones backing him up?

Reverb Shock beats armor easily with it's 5 hits, you can easily AA hulk's j.S with basically any sword (Dante standing M works very well). Once you get away from Hulk (which is accomplished by jumping back twice at the start of the round and getting out of there), Crystal basically stops his entire approach and gives you a free combo if he gets hit by it.

Against Wolverine, Air Play is very easy for him to berderper slash underneath. When in doubt, Hammer it out, blabla, etc. Crystal also shuts down his approach if you get any space at all. You can AA any telegraphed divekicks with standing M.

For the start of the round, it depends on what Wolverine you are fighting. If it's a divekick + assist Derperine, you can do the forward dash OS throw (Dash forward with one of the buttons being H) under the divekick then super jump before the assist gets you and reorient yourself from there (Air Play to turn around > j.S > Hammer/gtfo me), if they happen to have Sentinel remember that you can hit the robot with Hammer even if he is behind you on the way down.

If the Wolverine shows a controlled ground approach you can try backing off, but the aforementioned OS works very well regardless.

I don't like Vergil against armor unless he has the meter to spend on Spiral Swords, in which case it's all good.

Try Zero if you want, when properly assisted he basically shuts down both characters without much effort as long as you don't screw up.

EDIT:
    So long story short, how do y'all feel about it? Is it worth it in general?

You activate it when you need to stop some stupid shit. Morrigan, Zero, and any lvl3 x-factor character can approached or out-lamed by DT's obnoxiously broken move set.
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,430
    it's worth it to end a combo with DT into thunderbolt or whatever if you can actually manage to. like if the opponent is on magic pixel I will never kill them with million dollars. if you kill them with MD it takes forever for it to end meaning you can't set up your incoming mixup, and it's less useful meter usage. if you end with DT into a launcher into stuff or thunderbolt you'd get:

the double airdash and triple jump for the incoming character
    red life being healed
    damage boost
    an actual incoming mixup

you're using the same meter for more options after you kill the character.
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
  • H3AV3NS PUNISH3RH3AV3NS PUNISH3R Untapped Potential Joined: Posts: 61
    Devil Trigger also helps with combo extentions and resetting ground bounces. TK Sky Dance xx Devil Trigger after Beehive is a good example of resetting your ground bounce. It's not much, but if you know Million Dollars won't kill, you could set them up for a mix up with Devil Triggers unique moves and double air dashes.
    Wesker: "You don't stand a chance!!!" (Assumes counter-attack stance) Felicia: "EVERYBODY HELP!!!!"
    UMvC3: Dante / Morrigan / Felicia (Main since Vanilla Days) Iron Fist / Sentinel / Felicia (Sub Team #1)