Smokin' Sick Style! The Dante General Discussion Thread!

Comments

• leafcolonelleafcolonel Apprentice of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 1,913
    One OS I thought of to cover Dante's start of the round point weakness because of his extremely slow normals, I'm not sure if this is new but ill share:

Reverb shock is Dante's fastest and safest special at 8f startup with a whole lot of priority, and that will beat most stH's at the start of the round(including the infamous Hulk but loses to Taskmaster or Magneto)

The OS is:
    back + stH slight delay reverb shock

How it works is, if they are standing next to you- throw
    If they tech you get reverb shock(8f)
    If they jump or do something else at the start of the round you get reverb shock because stH is kara'd into reverb shock which still has a lot of priority and can anti air very well
  • l2agnarokl2agnarok Joined: Posts: 22
    Can someone record themselves dashing after Dante's lv3 with the commands being shown on the screen, so I know the exact timing.
    Yes, I've practiced. I can't get it down indefinitely.
    I get it so sporadically...
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    it's worth it to end a combo with DT into thunderbolt or whatever if you can actually manage to. like if the opponent is on magic pixel I will never kill them with million dollars. if you kill them with MD it takes forever for it to end meaning you can't set up your incoming mixup, and it's less useful meter usage. if you end with DT into a launcher into stuff or thunderbolt you'd get:

the double airdash and triple jump for the incoming character
    red life being healed
    damage boost
    an actual incoming mixup

you're using the same meter for more options after you kill the character.
    Can you give some example for that?
    1) How to end combo with DT instead of MD for magic pixel situation (lets say after the 2nd hammer in combo, still got the ground bounce)
    2) An actual incoming mixup
    3) Any stylish yet semi practical DT combo? (there might be more efficient ways to use the meter but it is flashy, and does not require MarlinPie skills to get it done). Especially when you want to style someone when you roll him up, and you got Dante in killing position with enough bar (you could kill with B&B but you want to style him)
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,170
    Can someone record themselves dashing after Dante's lv3 with the commands being shown on the screen, so I know the exact timing.
    Yes, I've practiced. I can't get it down indefinitely.
    I get it so sporadically...

funny coincidence, when I recorded that combo I decided to try that dash up OTG at like the last moment of the lvl3 cinematic. I've rarely used it, so I just guessed on the timing and got lucky lol. And I just happened to have input display on, which I almost never do.
  • Jacob_MumfordJacob_Mumford Very Motivated Joined: Posts: 8
    Is there a trick to connecting beehive after sky dance? I can never seem to get it! :(
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    Is there a trick to connecting beehive after sky dance? I can never seem to get it! :(
    1. Make sure it's the correct hit off of sky dance, the 'fling them far away' hit and not the 'ground bounce so they drop right in front of you' hit. You have to adjust the timing/position of when you do sky dance to get one or the other.
    2. Press the Medium attack as fast as you can, repeatedly. You want to cancel the volcano as fast as you can, without the volcano hitting. So, 623+MM, no delay.
  • jetman81jetman81 Joined: Posts: 184
    I definitely favor Reverb Shock against character with limbs/moves which outprioritize Dante's. There aren't really that many of them in the game. But for Hulks, Wolverines, probably Vergils, and a few other characters, I will simply go right into Reverb Shock at the beginning of the match, as long as I've got space enough for it to come out. Players of those characters tend to be overly aggressive and will get caught by it right away, at which point I can at least Million Dollars (or Devil Trigger and go for a launch), and if they called an assist, X-Factor into a Happy Birthday knockout.

Another option I will go for is just s.L, which has the same startup time but requires fewer motions to get going. That's more for Wolverine than somebody like Hulk with his armor, since it will only hit once, but it serves just fine to knock Wolvie out of his Berderper Slash.
  • TG CidTG Cid BATHSALT DEALER Joined: Posts: 141
    You know how there's these "zero" and "vergil" armies out there coming supposedly? Why isn't there some sort of a Dante army? Why doesn't Dante have one yet? Is he not good enough or something?
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    He is not dumb enough, hating to bump, but can someone replay to me?:d:
    Can you give some example for that?
    1) How to end combo with DT instead of MD for magic pixel situation (lets say after the 2nd hammer in combo, still got the ground bounce)
    2) An actual incoming mixup
    3) Any stylish yet semi practical DT combo? (there might be more efficient ways to use the meter but it is flashy, and does not require MarlinPie skills to get it done). Especially when you want to style someone when you roll him up, and you got Dante in killing position with enough bar (you could kill with B&B but you want to style him)
  • IcyieIcyie Joined: Posts: 257
    You know how there's these "zero" and "vergil" armies out there coming supposedly? Why isn't there some sort of a Dante army? Why doesn't Dante have one yet? Is he not good enough or something?
    Because he needs to use his tools wisely in order to be completely effective. Unlike zero and vergil with their BS normals (that lead to combos) which newbies can spam all day.
  • discovigilantediscovigilante I'm associated with this guy! Joined: Posts: 3,037
    So I try to play dante to sorta kinda Zone and keep away. What are your opinions on Dante an Zoning?

I think his zoning is really good. He has so many tools to keep people out or to space a certain way, so I don't see why you wouldn't play him that way, especially with the right assists like Hidden Missiles or what have you. The thing for me is that I find it to be matchup based, so even though I want to play Dante as a zoner more, I try to adjust depending on the opponent. I played a Spencer last night that just kept wire grappling me out of Crystal and even Air Play half the time, which was really frustrating. Other zoning characters like Dormammu will give him a hard time in a ranged fight. But when Dante gets his projectile game going he can be very frustrating to fight, especially against characters with poor mobility options.
    discovigilante
    UMvC3:
    Nova β Doom α/ɣ Ammy β
    Nova β Strange ɣ Ammy β
    Ammy β Doom α Dante α

SF5: Bison, a lil Birdie, waiting on Juri

Stuff I should play more
    Aquapazza: Chizuru
    Guilty Gear Xrd: Sin
    UNIBEL: Hyde
  • Din0Din0 Retired Joined: Posts: 4,158

Not top tier or derp enough, doesn't TOD without the correct team composition. He's a great character, but Zero/Vergil are not only easier to pick up, they're more explosive when they get on the screen.
    Magneto/Doom/Dante | Magneto/Doom/Phoenix | Magneto/Morrigan/Doom
    PSN: davidyes
    So when somebody finds a selfsufficient devil trigger combo to million dollars and tod's solo he'll have more of a bandwagon? Thats fucked up >.<" lol
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    He is not dumb enough, hating to bump, but can someone replay to me?:d:

For number 2 Momo made a video where Dante had a Nasty double airdash that was all sorts of crazy.

You can always do some chip on incoming or frame trap with weasel shot -> stinger.

For incoming chip I like to charge a few lock on shots. If you use doom missiles you call doom fire lock ons as they block missiles you use rocket launcher missiles xx DT Teleport in. Even better after teleport you can be more annoying and do mash H shots, call your other assist and go into hammer. May not get an opening but that is chip and pressure. Eventually

Another thing you could do after the DT is run over and spam lasers.
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
  • Darkhadou XDarkhadou X My last title lasted 8 years v_v Joined: Posts: 1,044
    Bad idea since Volcano will whiff anywhere outside close range. Stick to Reverb>Fireworks

What's the Devil Trigger follow up to this people like to use? I'm sure he can crank out more damage using DT than just million dollars but I've hit a bit of a road block right now :s
    Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com//darkhadou

A Team: Zero/Dorm/Doom - [Team F-Zero] (15/02/2011)
    B Team: Zero/Dante/Strider - [Team Ninja Theory] (01/01/2012)
  • IcyieIcyie Joined: Posts: 257
    How exactly do I extend dante's combo with DT instead of million dollars? For example:

LMH f.H BC Volcano j.H airplay j.H S~H~S sj. hammer land volcano~beehive dash back S~H stinger BC hammer.

Usually I'd end it with volcano~beehive Million dollars. But I tried doing Million carats xx DT TK Skydance beehive for ground bounce reset. Then I just go blank. What else can I do?
    What's the Devil Trigger follow up to this people like to use? I'm sure he can crank out more damage using DT than just million dollars but I've hit a bit of a road block right now :s
    I was thinking the same thing but i never see anybody do anything so im like wahh? You play zero! Add a bunch of lightning lol

Can any one endow the knowledge of cold shower > million dollars upon me?
  • Darkhadou XDarkhadou X My last title lasted 8 years v_v Joined: Posts: 1,044
    I was thinking the same thing but i never see anybody do anything so im like wahh? You play zero! Add a bunch of lightning lol

Can any one endow the knowledge of cold shower > million dollars upon me?
    Iono, I'm fine getting easy enough ToD's just DHCing to Lightning Loop. Don't fully understand Dante's HSD/ mechanics just yet to know how to best utilize his bolts =/

*It's just cold shower then press Assist 1+2 at the same time. If you got 1 bar it'll cancel into Million Dollars. You're basically THCing on 1 meter. Naturally if you got more than 1 meter when you do it then the other character's THC will come out too.
    Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com//darkhadou

A Team: Zero/Dorm/Doom - [Team F-Zero] (15/02/2011)
    B Team: Zero/Dante/Strider - [Team Ninja Theory] (01/01/2012)
    Thanks. Should have figured its just like wesker.
    Anybody watched ceo day 2, when yipes and marlinpie was playing, yipes did something like cr. l >m > h > stinger > volcanoe > j.h > airplay > j.h > h > s > superjump > (guessing from now on) j.h > airplay > j.h > killerbee > s > 2 or 3 shots > rapidslash assist > jump > skydance > beehive > tk skydance > dt > then stinger missed. Anyone know what he was going for? I caught that part so he probably did it somewhere else in the tourney.
  • MasaBladeMasaBlade Gimme some cover Joined: Posts: 1,066
    Anybody watched ceo day 2, when yipes and marlinpie was playing, yipes did something like cr. l >m > h > stinger > volcanoe > j.h > airplay > j.h > h > s > superjump > (guessing from now on) j.h > airplay > j.h > killerbee > s > 2 or 3 shots > rapidslash assist > jump > skydance > beehive > tk skydance > dt > then stinger missed. Anyone know what he was going for? I caught that part so he probably did it somewhere else in the tourney.
    he was just gonna do stinger volcano beehive then either super, another volcano beehive or a TK sky dance.
    zero-a/dante-a/vergil-y
    fuck games
    I was beginning to think he would stinger,fly, bolts x 5 like marlin did a couple times because he did just devil trigger.
    I was beginning to think he would stinger,fly, bolts x 5 like marlin did a couple times because he did just devil trigger.
    its just a way to continue the combo, bolts are awful out of xf.
    zero-a/dante-a/vergil-y
    fuck games
    its just a way to continue the combo, bolts are awful out of xf.
    Really? I honestly didn't know that. I had just started looking for a dt combo with thousands of them in the end lol
    Really? I honestly didn't know that. I had just started looking for a dt combo with thousands of them in the end lol
    you cant do anything after them and they do incredibly shitty damage
    zero-a/dante-a/vergil-y
    fuck games
    So Thunderbolts actually do damage in XF because it changes the way damage scales, right?
    What do Dante's scaling values change to? or is it just the same for every character?
    off the top of my head, currently tired as fuck trying to sleep: dante's minimum damage scaling goes from 5% to 35% in xfactor and he gets a 30% damage boost in xf1, 50 in xf2 and 70 in xf3.
    zero-a/dante-a/vergil-y
    fuck games
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,455
    Depending on your opponent's health, this is the better option than just Million Dollars
    you cant do anything after them and they do incredibly shitty damage
    The fly xx Thunderboltx5 isnt for damage.

Sent while Mastabaiten
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • terry mastersterry masters Dantrix corp. Joined: Posts: 76
    So cant you do 5 bolts j.H into maybe volcano- beehive Dollars!?
  • jak d riprjak d ripr Joined: Posts: 7,353
    So I've been messing with dante for a few weeks now and I gotta ask, what does his neutral game consist off? Everytime my dante hits the field I revert to up backing and trying to get hammers out, I literally have no idea where to begin with this comedian. Naturally its match-up dependent but Im talking bout overall do's and don'ts of dante, I feel like I spend more time worrying about his combos than whats really important. I think the only thing I do right with him in the neutral game is air play, stinger confirms.

Im trying to study yipes game since he is generally considered one of the-if not the-best dante, but that shit happens so fast and there will always be aspects I overlook so I figured why not just ask you ladies.

Oh btw, not sure if this helps but my team at the moment is haggar/dante/hawkeye.
  • RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,047
    Stuff.

I dunno man I just keep throwing out random moves to zone the other guy out and make space so I can set up a 50/50 teleport mixup.
    PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    GGXRD: Bedman/Elphelt
    BBCPEX: Relius/Noel
    VSav: Q-Bee
    UNIEL: Chaos/Seth
    KOF2002UM: Whip/Mature/Foxy

Poverty forever more.
    I spazz out throwing randomness and pray I get to perform a combo video.
  • SynikaLSynikaL Melee Prophet Joined: Posts: 1,698
    I need help with Anchor Dante, guys. What do you think I should be spending meter on and what should I focus on in Neutral? What are you XF lvl 3 combos and how are you best converting off Air Throws? etc etc/
    "Grandad, this food is destructive!"
    "Boy, what is wrong with you? This food is your culture."
    "Then the culture's destructive."

-The Boondocks
    I need help with Anchor Dante, guys. What do you think I should be spending meter on and what should I focus on in Neutral? What are you XF lvl 3 combos and how are you best converting off Air Throws? etc etc/
    -Air throw -> XF for easier link into Twister (or you can just practice link and use XF for better dmg off the air throw followup)

-Crystal is always neutral move since 9/10, Dante can followup on hit

-Hammer/jS/jH MH Stinger hitconfirm: Activate XF3 Volcano xx jS, Volcano xx jS, Volcano xx jH Air Play jS, Million Carats, Beehive, Volcano xx Beehive (IIRC it should kill anyone with 900k health)

As I've said before, Dante's best asset as anchor is that he can kill without meter in XF3. The problem is getting that hit. Also, after Sky Dance ground bounce in XF3, Acid Rain OTGs by itself so you dont necessarily have to OTG with Volcano
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.

• SynikaLSynikaL Melee Prophet Joined: Posts: 1,698

The problem is getting that hit.

Right.

So let's focus on that. How can we make Dante's neutral game better with the XF bonuses or in Devil Trigger, with the built meter? What kind of XF specific mixups can we come up with, if any? Double Air Dash in DT is obviously powerful, but it's about setting it up.
    "Grandad, this food is destructive!"
    "Boy, what is wrong with you? This food is your culture."
    "Then the culture's destructive."

-The Boondocks
  • RykendawgRykendawg Joined: Posts: 378
    So I've been messing with dante for a few weeks now and I gotta ask, what does his neutral game consist off? Everytime my dante hits the field I revert to up backing and trying to get hammers out, I literally have no idea where to begin with this comedian. Naturally its match-up dependent but Im talking bout overall do's and don'ts of dante, I feel like I spend more time worrying about his combos than whats really important. I think the only thing I do right with him in the neutral game is air play, stinger confirms.

Im trying to study yipes game since he is generally considered one of the-if not the-best dante, but that shit happens so fast and there will always be aspects I overlook so I figured why not just ask you ladies.

Oh btw, not sure if this helps but my team at the moment is haggar/dante/hawkeye.
    Here is part of his neutral game:

After killing someone with a level 3 charge multilock to the maximum I do it alot tbh.. After using acid rain dont teleport use the sword hilt dash forward using two punches and press heavy the sword has a hitbox on both sides so its up to them to guess right, hitconfirm that in cold shower if they block do stinger bold cancel if they dont use prop n shredder..
    If you have an assist such as zero's ryuenjin or wolvies tornado claw call that assist then teleport S you do this midscreen and in the corner, Do acid rain and press H+Vajra then teleport keeps them in block stun until you teleport then vajra hits just when they are right out of it.. You can use cross up jam session into devil trigger and combo off that..
    But recently Ive been loving multilock just make sure to not be on the ground or far away when you use it as dickhead spencer players will try to bionic arm you..

Also Dantes neutral game should involve acid rain rather than hysteric, Imo hysteric shouldnt even really be used unless your prepared to devil trigger instead use drive it has the same durability as a hadouken (5points) and can cancel into itself to shutdown other characters. Using Airplay is part of his neutral but charging it is not more often than not it will get dodged and you will probably get punished instead throw it out then airdash heavy or M to control the area infront and behind you and the hitbox crosses up and with hit vergil players trying to tele behind you..
    Never use jam session to anti air its just not worth it the push back isnt enough to warrant its recovery.. Use twister tempest if there throwing drones at you to destroy them and shut down approaches..
    These are the basics though.. I could get into other stuff such as frame traps and match ups but its long

TL;DR Dont use hysteric use drive and acid rain, sword hilt or multilock for incoming mixups
    GT: IllusionGodfist
    PSN: TheAzureFlash
    Fighter ID: BlueStar

I forgot to mention, anchor+XF3 (or any position where you're willing to blow XF) allows Dante to use Jam Session as an AA hitconfirm. I've been able to confirm off SJ height in XF1 but I will admit thats a lot harder to to do than regular jump height.

I must be missing something here
    [stuff, Volcano, j.H, Air Play, j.H, land]
    I can link s.H, which starts up in 13 frames, but I can't link Cold Shower, which starts up in 11 frames. Why?

edit
    another question: Is Acid Rain random? As in, the way the 'raindrops' fall, is it the same every time?
    I must be missing something here
    [stuff, Volcano, j.H, Air Play, j.H, land]
    I can link s.H, which starts up in 13 frames, but I can't link Cold Shower, which starts up in 11 frames. Why?

edit
    another question: Is Acid Rain random? As in, the way the 'raindrops' fall, is it the same every time?
    Do they fall to the ground or pop out?

Acid Rain's rain is random but not random enough as to where it will mess up combos. Even in the corner, its possible to be too far away for AR to connect properly

Sent while Mastabaiten

Do they fall to the ground or pop out?

Acid Rain's rain is random but not random enough as to where it will mess up combos. Even in the corner, its possible to be too far away for AR to connect properly

Sent while Mastabaiten
    They flip out after the j.H and before they hit the ground. After trying it some more, I wonder if it's because s.H has a huge ass hitbox, whereas Cold Shower shoots at the ground. It's one of those "I swear the move looks like it's hitting, but it isn't" situations. Ah well, even if it worked they'd probably just pop out of Prop Shredder, lol.
    Stupid HSD:(