Smokin' Sick Style! The Dante General Discussion Thread!

1787980818284»

Comments

• Merkyl999xMerkyl999x Crazy X-23 Guy Joined: Posts: 2,210
    And don't forget your stinger followup after scat shot. Full screen minus one dash H can convert scat shot into a full combo. It's still pretty hard to rely on too much, though. I was playing a match the other night and Hulk managed to get under scat shot...so...yeah...there's that.
    UMvC3: Magneto(EMD)/ X-23(CS)/Dante(JS)
    300%, Welcome to America.
    R.I.P. Iron Man/Rocket Raccoon
  • CriminalUpperCriminalUpper =D Joined: Posts: 3,048
    charlie88 wrote: »
    I am finding that standing h's (guns standing)is pretty useful in neutral has anyone found a use for it other than zoning?

Nah they are pretty ass. Can be ducked by most of the cast. Slow startup due to requiring s.H to come out first. Only cancellable into Prop or Stinger. Prop is lol because it's death on block. Stinger a little more useful if you're punishing something not enough to justify using it. Maybe you could do like some ghetto assist punish with Scat Shot xx THC to look badass (I'm actually gonna attempt this in tournament now if I get the opportunity), but yeah it's just a massively inferior Weasel Shot
  • HououinHououin Joined: Posts: 208
    Sup guys, i'm having a few really big problems with dante.

Everyone I play tells me I'm really linear. I play the same way every time, and they say I don't play dante like Dante, I should be playing wolverine. Which is kinda weird because I mostly play defensive.

I'm having a lot of trouble implementing footsies into my gameplay, as well as just general fundamentals.

Can anyone help, or just kick my ass a bunch? Thanks
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,381
    @Hououin‌ Some footage would be really helpful to see what's the problem.

Other than that, try to watch some other Dante players video. And in every situation try to ask yourself, what YOU would have done there, and then see what they did.

I found that way that in many situation my answer was "I would Stinger there" and usually get blown by jumps over it, while other players didn't take those baits. Other habit I found that way is using falling j.HS airplay after teleport instead of my hammer.

Try this, you can also try to watch your own matches, and check to see how predictable are you to yourself. (if it makes any sense)
  • charlie88charlie88 Ya'll niggas gay. The Keving Gates kinda gay. Joined: Posts: 5,120
    Guns to get them to duck, plus assist call teleport mixup shenanigans?
    FC:1864 9258 8415
    PSN: Death_Loner_Kage
    Umvc3: Learning Viper...plays tron strange dante strider

I am willing to play trade and embrace the suck
  • theDudetheDude Joined: Posts: 11
    What are some of Dante's more consistent get off me tactics aside from let's say the obvious hammer (which gets beat out/baited a fair amount of times by anyone with matchup experience).

I ask because people often close the distance even while im trying to maintain it and for me in some matchups (wolvie, nova, vergil, even Doom) once that distance is gone it's hard to establish anything/get a breather and you just eat buttons or grabs.
    edited May 2014
    The sad truth is that Dante really doesn't have a good option for that. Just gotta get a good pushblock to get back to proper spacing. That's the main reason I play him with an alpha counter, honesty. Smart players that are good at beating pushblock are just going to maul you if you don't have a good read or some kind of assist to get you out of the situation.

Keep in mind that if they're dashing back in after your pushblocks, you win that situation by not pushblocking and c.L when they dash. (If they read you not pushblocking they win with frametrap or throw, though...so...fighting games.) Also, make sure you're always OSing a throw into your pushblocks (H~M) just to give you some extra coverage. If they're trying to set up a tick throw, you'll get a throw/tech chance. Again, if they space right, you're getting frame trapped for pressing a button...better than nothing, though.

Edits:WTF Phone...You had one job...
    Post edited by Merkyl999x on
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,545
    ^bad case of the auto-corrects. But yeah, pushblock and st.L afterwards to get some space. Twister is also good, but unsafe.
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • charlie88charlie88 Ya'll niggas gay. The Keving Gates kinda gay. Joined: Posts: 5,120
    edited May 2014
    Weasel shot is your best safe best for space. Other than that devil trigger or an assist.

• DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Snapback. Use and abuse.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 9,578
    Reverb Shock and Jam Session.

Risky but sometimes you gotta take risks.
    PSN: xXGomuGomuXx
  • theDudetheDude Joined: Posts: 11
    I see, thx guys ill be sure to try your suggestions. As for snapback, it's one of my favorite tools especially against anchors into xfactor + death.
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,545
    Kanta-Kun wrote: »
    Just gotta make sure you dash right after airplay [midscreen], to avoid the screen progression getting out of hand. otherwise [the dummy] will just go too far away.

PS.: Fuck Vergil.

____
    EDIT: Also, some character specific stuff about the infinite:
    Midscreen version doesn't work on Zero, Joe, RR, Arthur, Firebrand, Strider, Wolverine, Hulk, Haggar, Ghost Rider because they're either too small, too floaty and/or push you away too far.
    Corner infinite is way harder on Joe because he's so small. it's possible though. Same for Rocket Raccoon, but even harder. Also Wolverine, kind of.

Bolded the relevant issues.

SIDE tac > dash crosses under Sentinel, Nemesis, Tron, Amaterasu, Shuma so you don't need to corner carry them all the way to the other side. Make sure to jump forward on your first jump to get them closer to the corner immediately, otherwise you'll drop some characters.
    One more thing to add. Down TAC midscreen, you can do

[TAChit] Air hike forward > j.M (wait) xx Airplay > falling j.L

For a side switch. Otherwise the setup is kinda hard.
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Any thoughts on Dante/Missiles, especially in neutral? Usually I play my MODOK team with Plasma Beam but I feel like I need to at least try out MODOK/Missiles. Since I also want to stick with Doom/Dante, I'm going to have to deal with playing Dante/Missiles at some point.
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • hypersonichypersonic Joined: Posts: 192
    edited June 2014
    Dante/Missiles is good,but Dante/Plasma is better in general.If you are using missiles with Dante try calling Doom when you are mid or close to your opponent and you are on the offense.Calling Doom fullscreen is a bad idea against characters with beam hypers or beam DHC in the back,since Dante won't be able to protect him with his slow projectiles.
    Also try calling missiles when opponent is in air or flying.
    If they are blocking missiles you can go for a teleport,drive teleport,empty reverb shockxxfireworks,hystericxxDevil Trigger,etc
    I would say that the choice between missiles and plasma would depend on the team you're facing and the other assist you are using.If you have a beam assist with missiles the team feels more complete in neutral.For example you can countercall jam session,missiles,drones with your beam assist and vajra with missiles.Also try calling missiles when opponent's beam assist is in cooldown.
  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Yeah I get that Dante/Plasma is better, but the focus here is on MODOK and MODOK loves missiles, so I figured that if I was playing MODOK/Doom/Dante with Missiles I'd have to play Dante/Missiles at some point. I was advised to switch between Missiles and Plasma in the MODOK forum, too.

Thanks for the info!
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • KaoriKaori Would you like a demonstration? Joined: Posts: 1,172
    I just watched a tutorial on doing the teleport after prop shredder and was wondering if there is timing involved because when I do down up down S I keep getting helmet breaker instead of the teleport. Thanks guys!
  • forte95forte95 Buster Cannoneer Joined: Posts: 546
    Do down down up+S instead, press up and S at the same time. The timing is exactly the same as the timing for a prop sjc; the moment prop shredder finishes is the moment you press up+S
    I'm a physics enthusiast. Let's talk science.
  • DextroDextro Joined: Posts: 75
    i think i already asked this, but what should you be doing with dante in neutral( when backed up by disruptor)
    XBL: CocH153
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoMiKOj4b8K9vukZBoyi6g
    Main Team: Taskmaster, Dante(Jam Session), Magneto(Disruptor)
    Secondary Teams: Super Skrull, Haggar, Doctor Doom/ Nova, Taskmaster, Vergil/ Dante, Vergil, Magneto/ Taskmaster, Spencer, Akuma/ Dante, Doctor Doom, Strider/ Frank West, Dante, Taskmaster/ Wolverine, Taskmater, Akuma or Dante
    edited August 2014
    Here's my typical bag of tricks.

-- Stinger+EMDxxTeleport for punishes/whenever you feel like it (old faithful.)
    -- Close range: s.H + EMD xx teleport (da gawd.)
    -- Far Range: s.H + EMD xx Teleport // grapple // Scat shotxxStinger (safer than grapple, have to be within ~3/4ths screen to connect with stinger, though.)
    -- IAD j.H, land, dash HxxWeasel Shot (2 shots), land, EMD + Teleport
    (1/2 screen+ of space)j.air play + EMD (protects the followup options), land:
    --drive xx teleport(if they stayed grounded)//crystal(if they normal jumped at you)//acid rain(if they super jumped towards you)//hysteric(neutral jump/super jump)
    --Multilock. Either release and use for immediate teleport mixup or hold and TK release > teleport attempt > land s.H+EMDxxteleport 2nd mixup. (Be sure to keep in mind that you can press buttons while charging Multilock for those rare times you can gimmick someone into a hit.)
    ---- If they block most of these you usually get a free weasel shot followup mixup. (Use this to buy EMD some time, if it's available, I would just go for the s.HxxTeleport option.)

I've been messing around with IAD + EMD j.H, land, immediately IAD j.H again for crossup/throw attempts. Seems like it could be a nice option to cover dash pressure.

kinda depends on matchup

against ppl like Doom or shit you want to go completely ham with EMD mixups so you go for air play + EMD or drive + EMD into teleports to get in if you get pushed out too far

against rushdown you want to push them away with crystal and air play + disruptor calls and get out hysteric if they get caught by EMD so they can't call beam assist, if they get too close anti air M into EMD + teleport mixup for a bit then just chain into reverb xx fireworks or crystal if they block everything so you go back to your normal game plan
    I've been trying to get away from overusing Reverb ShockxxFireworks. Way too many times where a weird anti-air turns me around when I don't expect it to or the fun rare times that fireworks doesn't come out for you.

I think Crystal is the smart choice for ground > air blockstrings and drive is the better choice for grounded blockstrings.
    edited August 2014
    I see

I use reverb xx fireworks for ground strings only so I don't get random cross unders, but yeah Drive may be better anyway because it's easier to followup blockstrings with it

Yes crystal is best for antiair blockstrings

EDIT: also forgot, reverb xx fireworks is good when you want space tho because it leaves you a little over max cM range iirc
  • jak d riprjak d ripr Joined: Posts: 7,353
    So I'm curious, what should I be doing with Dante in neutral when backed by Tatsu? I played a couple sets a few days ago and realized st. :h: + :a2: isn't an actual mix-up. My friend blocked it every time so I asked him to just hold back and we realized it never crossed up. Then I tried stinger + tatsu and same shit, so I don't really know what to do. Is my timing wrong? Should I be using st. :m: instead(although I think I tried st. :m:). Or is tatsu just not a good assist for Dante? The team I'm trying to play is spencer/dante/akuma.
    Go watch sumbrownkids matches. I'm pretty sure his goto is s.m + tatsu. Hands down the best Dante tatsu player I've seen.
    edited September 2014
    Merkyl999x wrote: »
    Go watch sumbrownkids matches. I'm pretty sure his goto is s.m + tatsu. Hands down the best Dante tatsu player I've seen.

Yea I was combing through some of his footage and it seems like he uses st. :m: instead of :h:. I'll try that out and see what happens and watch a couple more of his vids to find some more shenanigans.

EDIT: So I tested out st. :m: and it still doesn't work. At this point I'm literally stumped, I have no idea how to develop a mix-up using tatsu.
    Post edited by jak d ripr on
    Your timing is either off, or your range is affecting your timing.

As far as neutral playing footises with air play stinger stand m and calling tatsu from midrange to stuff or setup a confirm. I usually throw it out to push them in the corner and allow me to close distance

edited September 2014

As far as neutral playing footises with air play stinger stand m and calling tatsu from midrange to stuff or setup a confirm. I usually throw it out to push them in the corner and allow me to close distance

Ok, ill practice a different timing and try out some different ranges to see if I can make a mix-up out of it. Thanks for the feedback. Just so we're clear though, it's st. :m: you use right? Not st. :h:?

However, if I could just ask your honest opinion, what assist do you feel is better for Dante? Tatsu or plasma beam?
    Post edited by jak d ripr on
    I think the overall Doom+Dante pairing is better than Dante/Akuma. I think Tatsu is a slightly better assist than doom because of its speed and nullification properties but the range is definitely a limiting factor.

In general I think it comes down more to what your 3rd character needs/offers. SBK makes it work because Wolvie with JS and Tatsu is possibly one of the best point Wolverine teams in the game. If your point like PB better than Tatsu and you're comfortable with either the hard tags or putting Doom 2nd necessary to abuse the Doom/Dante THC ender then I would say that Doom's probably the better option.

Mostly it boils down to what you want to play. Neither of them are bad choices. SBK is a top 5 Dante player using Tatsu so it's definitely not a bad assist.

As far as the issues you're having with the setup, it might be a spacing problem. I think you can hit with the tip of s./cr.M+Tatsu xx teleport and get a true mixup. If you're right on them (the range where dante should press any buttons and definitely shouldn't call an assist) I think it's too fast and autoblocks.
    Yea I'm just not a fan of teams that aren't built in the order that they will be played, plus I finally figured out how to get a teleport mix-up with tatsu. So I think I'm going to go with Akuma. I'm gonna miss those raw tag combos with doom, but I think this is the right decision.

Thanks a lot for the help though, I don't think I'd have figured it out without you guys assistance.
    jak d ripr wrote: »

Ok, ill practice a different timing and try out some different ranges to see if I can make a mix-up out of it. Thanks for the feedback. Just so we're clear though, it's st. :m: you use right? Not st. :h:?

However, if I could just ask your honest opinion, what assist do you feel is better for Dante? Tatsu or plasma beam?

I think Tatsu is the better assist but doom WITH MISSILES is way better overall and they also make a better shell for top tier support.

jak d ripr wrote: »

I think Tatsu is the better assist but doom WITH MISSILES is way better overall and they also make a better shell for top tier support.

Yea if I was just playing Dante solo I woulda gone with missiles for sure. But I can't play spencer without beam, so I decided to try and find an assist that helps them both and it seems tatsu might be the answer. Shame I can't stand Dr. Strange though, bolts is probably the perfect assist for this team, only issue being it requires me to play Dr. Strange.
    I play strange but I am going to replace him. He is really good for point strider and everything but with Dante he requires a lot of situations to be effective with Dante. They don't just flow. So I will be swapping out my team aswell. I won't use akuma or doom though. I am going to experiment and I will post back when I find something. I may go back to using morrigan so I can soul drain meter and have 3meter dead character incoming opponent with no meter and astral vision active.

• Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,144
    I thought strange Dante is solid?
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
    Yeah strange/dante is good tho, Jam is lockdown that you don't have to set up like Missiles so it helps against rush more, you can cM antiair or IP counterhit then call Jam + do a little string into lv0 fof or l mystic sword to swing pressure around off your best gtfo options, you even get to set up eye after

Jam is also good lockdown for when strange does his chip/lockdown sequences with eye, daggers, and swords

only thing it doesn't help strange with is the ranged game, you gotta fight beam assists or proj spam with lv0 fof to set up eye and glyphs or to give space to possibly tele to make them block Jam, it's much easier if you have a beam assist that also doubles as lockdown but yeahhhh you can't really optimize too much for strange without making it a point strange team, which isn't too hot
    I've got a bunch of matches freshly recorded. Just bombing the relevant character threads. Mags/X23/Dante starting to feel pretty real. Really need to up my solo Dante mixup game, though.

Xr0s-up wrote: »
    I thought strange Dante is solid?

It is however, you need to br kinda overpowering in this meta and it just doesn't do that. Its hard to play from behinc and win with that duo against certain characters and shells. Besides strange is a liability fir me. I can olay him but he isnt someone I naturally am good with like Dante and Strider.

• KladeKlade Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey guys I play Fighting games and rap a lil bit I wrote a song about Dante my fav character on UMVC3 let me know what yall think.

• pepopulopepopulo Eternal's groupi Joined: Posts: 633
    Some Ammy/Vergil/Dante tech, most of the Dante things are just normal Dante/Vergil stuff, but there are some cool Ammy conversions too

Dante stuff at 3:00
    Stylish stuff at 9:00
    Nueva tecnología!!!