Juri Combos: What works on who?

MetallicmikeMetallicmike Joined: Posts: 1,167
Juri has alot of character specific setups, we discuss this in the general questions thread often but have yet to write any of it down in concrete for all to see, just snipets here and there with vague words to pick apart alot of the time too. Ive held onto these notes of mine for awhile and figured its about time i took the time to share them with the users of the forum.

The threads rules are simple, post information relating to setups, combos or otherwise that tend to rather than work universally, have to vary from character to character and ill add it in when i can.

The Thread in Spreadsheet form: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiNVoPvrYUGOdHFKcFZlRElXTXRFMVA0anlDaVVTWGc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Although its reccommended you read the section first, ive written it in a way that i would understand it, but ofc you may download it and edit it to your preference.

Ive written a few, but obviously i give credit to other contributors, if you spot a mistake let me know:
Mid Screen Full BnB Pinwheel Combo On Standing Characters
Spoiler:
Corner Combo into U2
Spoiler:
Jump in MPxxLK DivekickxxUltra 2
Spoiler:
Dashing Under Fireballs (Credit: deice-)
Spoiler:
St.lp hitting on Crouchers (Credit: deice-)
Spoiler:
Ex-Dive Kick xx J.HP
Spoiler:

Comments

• MetallicmikeMetallicmike Joined: Posts: 1,167
    Fuzzy Guard: J.MP (Credit: BeaM)
    Spoiler:
    Fuzzy Guard: J.HP (Credit: BeaM)
    Spoiler:
    FSE Punisher
    Spoiler:
    Normal xx Fireball Store xx Lk Fireball Release
    Spoiler:

Far Standing HK on Crouchers(Not in FSE) (Credit: deice-)
    Spoiler:
    Far Standing HK on Crouchers(In FSE)(Credit: deice-)
    Spoiler:
    Tk Dive Kick Character Specific Information
    Spoiler:
  • Dr. GrammarDr. Grammar Fighting Game Scientist Joined: Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭
    Maybe we could organize all this information into a chart. It's kind of confusing with the characters listed separately for everything.
    #SFxT @ EFNet - It's better than SRK
    Maybe we could organize all this information into a chart. It's kind of confusing with the characters listed separately for everything.

i mention this at the beggining, i want to see if anyone else will add in on the info before going to a chart, unless someone else wants to do it.
    i mention this at the beggining, i want to see if anyone else will add in on the info before going to a chart, unless someone else wants to do it.

Oh, I missed that. Anyway, I went ahead and compiled this info in a spreadsheet.

Juri - What Works on Who
    Oh, I missed that. Anyway, I went ahead and compiled this info in a spreadsheet.

Juri - What Works on Who

godlike
  • deice-deice- kimchi yokatta darou Joined: Posts: 596
    Very useful. I've been saving these types of lists in my personal black book of juri-fu, but having a thread for all the character specific lists sounds good.

It would be nice to have a easier to digest format for this, like if we could find groups that apply to many lists (like "tall guys", "wide hitbox", "large character", "pixie", "wierd"). It would also simplify memorization. But, I guess such convenient cross-combo applicable groupings don't exist.

As an aside, this would be useful information to have in the match-up thread also once we have it a bit more complete, listed per character so you can quickly check a specific matchup.

Here's a few lists I had in my book (don't know who was the original poster unfortunately):
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Edit: nice work on the spreadsheet, it does clarify the info a lot! Also, easier to check for patterns if there's any easy groupings :)
    SSF4: Juri BBCSEX: Λ-11 AH3: Nazuna MBAACC: F-Hime SG: Valentine/Squigly/Parasoul
    本番はこれからだったのに, もう限界? - honban wa korekara datta no ni, mou genkai?
    Doesn't it depend on the strength of the fireball whether Juri can dash under them or not?
    Not that I know of. I remember this was the most thorough list back when it was being discussed. I remember there was some talk of Akuma's red fireball not being dashable, but turned out it was just harder.
    SSF4: Juri BBCSEX: Λ-11 AH3: Nazuna MBAACC: F-Hime SG: Valentine/Squigly/Parasoul
    It would be nice to have a easier to digest format for this, like if we could find groups that apply to many lists (like "tall guys", "wide hitbox", "large character", "pixie", "wierd"). It would also simplify memorization. But, I guess such convenient cross-combo applicable groupings don't exist.

Yep your right, unfortunatly in my experience it doesnt matter how big either, take Zangief, hes the biggest turd in the game and hes one of two characters that cant be juggled into U2 after a divekick in the corner. Theres too many factors to take into account with juri one of them being the speed at which characters fall in juggle states and how far away they are projected after being hit. Stuff like that isnt part of whether or not a character is big, when i was testing the U2 juggles id have to say Gen was by far the most leniant to hit U2 with and thats more to do with the factors i just mentioned not his hitbox because hes tiny.
    Recorded some stuff last night of Juri's fuzzy guards, testing them against all the characters.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Of course, this is just based on what I got, if anyone had different results, please chime in.

fished this out of the matchup thread, shoutouts to Beam for providing the original content.
  • hotaruhotaru Joined: Posts: 177
    Nice work. ^^

I think it would be much easier to read if this was listed per character like the match-up thread instead of having huge lists for every combo. It would be much easier to learn "what works on who" that way, in my opinion.

Because we usually try to learn "what can I do on X character" instead of "who can I use X combo on".

For example:

Rose:
    -j.HK>j.MP on block
    -j.HK>j.HP on block
    -dash under fb
    -can't follow-up jumpin > normal xx release midscreen
    -IA divekick > U2 midscreen
    -cr.lk > OS: on miss EX Senpusha / on hit st.lk chain
    -safejumpable, jumpin OS EX Senpushable

Probably easier for you to fill with information, and easier to make it accurate too, since we don't have to go over the whole cast everytime.
    Yeah, both formats are useful to have. The spreadsheet for collecting comprehensive information, the match-up format for quickly checking how to fight an opponent. I think it would be best if the match-up format were just integrated into the match-up thread. That way you could check quickly check tactics against each character and what character specific combos to use.
    Probably easier for you to fill with information, and easier to make it accurate too, since we don't have to go over the whole cast everytime.

sorry son, i didnt realise you wanted me to do the work for you, the informations right here and theres even a spreadsheet for easier readability, so to be as blunt as possible do it yourself.
  • D_DollarsD_Dollars the BASED ken Joined: Posts: 1,655
    i know this a thread dedicated for character specific combos, but i was wondering if we place the dash under fireballs in this thread also? i mean, it is character specific also and it will also help to just have everything character specific in 1 thread.

EDIT: we can also rank a tier list from easiest to hardest fireball to dash under. just a thought.
    ssf4 ae:ken aka da based ken
    P4U:mitsuru aka da based mitsuru
    i know this a thread dedicated for character specific combos, but i was wondering if we place the dash under fireballs in this thread also? i mean, it is character specific also and it will also help to just have everything character specific in 1 thread.

EDIT: we can also rank a tier list from easiest to hardest fireball to dash under. just a thought.

ye ill add everything in to the top when i can be bothered, which wouldn't take long, im not sure the difficulty level for dashing each fireball but i know for a fact that gouken is def the easiest. And yeah anything character specific not just combos, ill be testing the following FSE combo at some point soon on all the cast:

Cr.mk xx st/cr.mp xx st.hk xx cr.hp xx pinwheel

it does the most damage for a FSE combo, meter less and without fireball store midscreen but where if done point blank lets say for a punish or during a focus crumple the last cr.hp whiffs so you would have to omit the last cr.hp.

On that note considering the last cr.hp would have to be omitted is there a slightly more damaging combo that can be done in its place, possibly utalizing lk+lp/far standing forward and roundhouse?
    There may be a few mistakes if we do tests only with standing not blocking.

For example the "full combo" results can be different if the oponent is crouching or standing.

The instant j.MP results may also vary depending on what the oponent is doing, on some of them you are able to land it when they are standing, but not when they are in block animation ( = no Fuzzy Guard ) or throw animation.

I didn't test against the whole cast but for Juri you can do the "full combo" after a jump in if she is crouching. On Dictator I had no success landing instant j.MP if done at the same time as throw, and I couldn't Fuzzy Guard him either.
    There may be a few mistakes if we do tests only with standing not blocking.

For example the "full combo" results can be different if the oponent is crouching or standing.

The instant j.MP results may also vary depending on what the oponent is doing, on some of them you are able to land it when they are standing, but not when they are in block animation ( = no Fuzzy Guard ) or throw animation.

I didn't test against the whole cast but for Juri you can do the "full combo" after a jump in if she is crouching. On Dictator I had no success landing instant j.MP if done at the same time as throw, and I couldn't Fuzzy Guard him either.

Full combo is for standing if you want to test crouchers then test and post, otherwise i think its fairly obvious if it whiffs on them standing theres no point in taking the risk that it might hit if they crouch, being that you pretty much have to be point blank for the full connect to work anyway.

instant j.mp on dictator works, i dont know what it is your doing wrong, but it works, if you want it to be more reliable then setup a tick situation like lk pinwheel FADC jump forward mp. Fuzzys dont work on dictator, fuzzys are another topic ill repeat:

Instand Jump Medium Punch and Fuzzy Guards are not the same thing

i posted a quote with the fuzzy guards listed that ill put at the top eventually.
    Yeah I'm aware Fuzzy isn't instant j.MP, it was an illustration to explain boxes are modified under block/hitstun and throw.
    I did test it with cr.MK xx lk Senpusha FADC j.MP (forward and backward), it didn't work consistantly on Dictator and Fuerte; when they are in the throw animation it tends to whiff (tested with different throw timings). Worked well on everyone else on your list.

The full combo works on the whole cast if they are crouching (I tested it to make sure).
    tested abit more on fuerte and couldnt get it to work as much, still worked fairly well on bison, maybe not on a grab animation but it still works if you did it to him on wakeup or normally. As for the crouching thing, nice to know ill just edit it in on the top as a reminder.
    Updated the thread with fuzzy guards, dash under fireballs, low punch on crouchers and removed el fuerte from the instant air j.mp setup.
    Updated the thread with fuzzy guards, dash under fireballs, low punch on crouchers and removed el fuerte from the instant air j.mp setup.

Thanks for the hard work mate, very much appreciated :lovin:
    updated the thread again with the FSE punisher information, tested by myself so if anyone has better feedback or ideas feel free to pitch in.
    I think it'd be better to just keep FSE-related stuff in its respective thread. We don't want that information scattered in different places.
    its just listing who the cr.hp whiffs on and a couple of alt options to use as additional info, like i said in the write up, nothing special just the punishment.
    thinking of covering the light kick BnBs, since they are the most practical ones to use (well you could swap a st.lk for a st.lp here and there if it hits them even on crouching), ie just /cr/st/cr.lk and 3x cr.lk everyother problems with BnBs can probably go in the matchup thread and ill just test these.
    Far HK on crouchers (not under FSE):

Misses:

Juri
    Ibuki
    Chun-li
    Dhalsim
    C.Viper
    Cammy
    DeeJay
    Blanka
    Adon

Works on:

Everyone else.
  • KailKail Joined: Posts: 2,447
    I love this thread. I highly suggest learning the matchups with these in mind. Mistakes on these things are a no no. If you have a phone I suggest uploading them to it so you can prepare for a match properly.
    Updated with hotarus post, also changed a few things in the instant air MP section after further testing,
    I'm working on a compilation of a setup where dive kick crosses up. I'll keep you all updated
    I'm working on a compilation of a setup where dive kick crosses up. I'll keep you all updated

sounds gimmicky, i like it. Id imagine it only works on the larger hit box characters, but if you get something to work, try to pull off something after the divekick, otherwise the damage wouldnt be worth it.

To my knowledge after divekicks without followups you can connect:

low ex-fireball
    lk pinwheel
    ex pinwheel
    super
    Ultra 2
    sounds gimmicky, i like it. Id imagine it only works on the larger hit box characters, but if you get something to work, try to pull off something after the divekick, otherwise the damage wouldnt be worth it.

To my knowledge after divekicks without followups you can connect:

low ex-fireball
    lk pinwheel
    ex pinwheel
    super
    Ultra 2

A setup for Ryu. Works vs Ken. I'm testing others later.
    Updated Thread: Aside from trying to improve readability and grammar etc... I dropped the whole instant air j.mp section for lack of practicality. I added in a new section that demonstrates combos into U2 in the corner utalizing IA j.mp, i tested it on all the characters which i could hit fuzzy and of those only a few were left. It lists whether or not you can do ex divekick or lk divekick into ultra after the j.mp, does good damage in the corner off a fireball store + 1 optional meter, also you can begin at a jumpin attack it makes no difference. Also added in the jumpin mp xx divekick to ultra section a warning that sakura and sagat are hard to pull it off on (since i actually tryed them in a proper match recently and failed badly, then went back to training mode and met little success there too).

Feedback like that is much valued from u guys if you spot inconsistencies with my lists.

A setup for Ryu. Works vs Ken. I'm testing others later.

does it have to be a lk xx lp then jump lk divekick? on crouching as well, most people stand when you jump at them so it might be best to first find a setup that has them standing, if thats possible, otherwise thanks for the time your putting into this, i look forward to seeing further results.
    does it have to be a lk xx lp then jump lk divekick? on crouching as well, most people stand when you jump at them so it might be best to first find a setup that has them standing, if thats possible, otherwise thanks for the time your putting into this, i look forward to seeing further results.

I really doubt it will hit standing. The setup was made actually on a standing dummy, and hit them from the front. I set it up with timing only without the visual cue. I dashed up, c.lk c.lp dive kick. hit front. Replayed it back to see if it hit on crouching. Did.
    I really doubt it will hit standing. The setup was made actually on a standing dummy, and hit them from the front. I set it up with timing only without the visual cue. I dashed up, c.lk c.lp dive kick. hit front. Replayed it back to see if it hit on crouching. Did.

i dont expect that it would hit everyone standing, maybe some maybe a few, maybe just one person, but if theres a setup that is practical and works, then its worth doing, i might look into it myself when i hit the lab next as well.
    i dont expect that it would hit everyone standing, maybe some maybe a few, maybe just one person, but if theres a setup that is practical and works, then its worth doing, i might look into it myself when i hit the lab next as well.

It comes down to height and angle. I've seen this hit before, so I knew it worked, however I cant think of a height and angle that it would cross up standing.
    It comes down to height and angle. I've seen this hit before, so I knew it worked, however I cant think of a height and angle that it would cross up standing.

it might not be possible on standing after all, its too hard to find if there is one, the trial and error all falls under that i might have actually found a setup that works on a character in the roster but i tried it on another character and hence thought it didnt work and moved on.
    Update Notes:

-Major change to the jumpin mp xx divekick xx U2 section, changed a few names around based on further testing and sorted them by difficulty to give you a general idea of how hard it will be.

-Added video supplements where i could find them to the J.mp xx divekick xx U2, Fuzzy Guard j.mp/j.hp, dash under fireballs, FSE punisher and corner U2 combo sections.

-Added a new section for the popular cr.mk video done by sh1Nd because its just that good it needs to be everywhere.

-Added my personal spreadsheet version of the thread that ill update as i add more stuff to this thread, best you download it and edit it to your liking should you want it.
  • Shake3Shake3 I call Shenanigans Joined: Posts: 380
    how do you do the option select you have in ur thread? also while im at it, are there any other option selects juri has besides os pinwheel, and some crouch tech ones?
    PSN: ItsJMikeyB
    SSF4 Main: Juri. Sub:..idk
    SFxT: Juri + Law
    UMVC3: Akuma, Morrigan & Sentinal
    BBCSEX Main: Litchi. Sub: Jin

Out of these games, I'm currently playing SSF4 & learning BBSEX
    how do you do the option select you have in ur thread? also while im at it, are there any other option selects juri has besides os pinwheel, and some crouch tech ones?

you just jumpin, press hk close to the ground and almost at the same time press down and mk then do qcf lk for the fuha store, delay the fuha store input abit so you dont get negative edge and end up doing a mk fireball store.

As for other option selects theres a couple that are useful here and there ill tell you some of the ones i use.

E.Honda: safe jump OS lk pinwheel, it loses to ex headbutt but tags backdash and makes his regular and ex buttsplashs whiff so you can try punish them, yeah its risky when he has meter.

Cody: safe jump OS Ultra 2 off a backthrow, Ultra 2 tags backdash and the invincibility covers EX-Zonk.

Rufus: he has to be meterless but the same Ultra 2 OS safejump will catch his backdash, otherwise wakeup exmessiah and exsnakestrikes will make U2 whiff jumpin hk will tag anything else.

Bison: Its a toss up between safe jump OS HK pinwheel and OS EX pinwheel, HK pinwheel beats teleport and backdash and expinwheel beats Ex-PC, Ex-Headstomp(headstomp only or abit of damage) and backdash.

Akuma: OS backdash allows you to cover enough distance to punish his teleport with a normal + special cancel, if you cross him up on jumpin make sure the teleport has time to auto correct.

Abel: OS regular throw (its a universal OS, most abels are wise to this, especially command throw OS's) after a deep jumpin beats EX-Tornado Throw and any roll including EX-Roll.

Anti BackDash OS: doesnt require a jumpin, this one is pretty universal to, you do meaty cr.lk on wakeup and press the Ultra KKK button, if the meaty lk connects another cr.lk will come out, if it doesnt sweep will come out. You can do this better in FSE where you press cr.lk xx cr.mp xx (OS cr.hk) xx cr.mk/sekku xx whatever, if cr.lk connects mp will come out and if they backdash sweep comes out.

Rose: same technique as above but instead of just inputting down and KKK, do qcb KKK, expinwheel will come out if cr.lk whiffs and st.lk will come out if it connects.

Other than that OS lk pinwheel usually universally catchs backdashs. thats all i can remember for now but that should keep you busy enough.
    I did some testing with far.HK vs crouching opponents. I realized it whiffs quite a bit of people, and it depends on whether you're in FSE or not - it whiffs on almost everyone during FSE. Its also affected whether the opponent is just crouching, or crouch blocking. For reliable use as a poke you probably want to only use it if it won't whiff in any situation.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Edit: The third spoiler is simply the information from the second spoiler inverted, every character that isn't listed in the second spoiler as whiffing under some conditions is listed in the third spoiler.
    good shit man ill edit it in tomorrow, and hopefully try and write and format it in a way thats easier to understand, and then update the spreadsheet in a easier to understand way lol.
    Thread Update: Added in the info regarding far hk from deice, tried to make it look as coherant as possible, can still be hard to get your head around though. Made modifications to the spreadsheet, added a couple of comments, tried to make it smaller, added in the far hk information, added in the info regarding j.faps fuzzy on proper block only (previously had accidentily left it out).

I still reccommend people to download and edit the spreadsheet to their own preferance if they dont like the way ive done it, but try to read the write up section in the thread first to avoid any misinterpretations of information.
    I don't have an hd recorder but I could rcord the videos.
    Yeah if you want you can do some videos, they always help, just post them here and ill add them in when i can.
    Yeah if you want you can do some videos, they always help, just post them here and ill add them in when i can.

So this is what I'll do. In gonna find a cool way to show these things like iafaps, iastrizong, cmk link, and fse punished in a video. I got a few ideas but I'm open for ideas. I've been kicking around showing them hitting over and over to mix with the beat of a trance song.

Psh, haha, psh, haha, psh haha, psh, haha. Should be nice kick snare alternative.

Or psh, sore, psh, ugh, psh, sore, psh, ugh.

Should be interesting.

But what I'll ask is if there's anything else you need me to add let me know. I'll probably record tonight.
    The corner combo needs a better video, i just quickly went to the combo thread and looked around for video links in the hopes of examples. If you can show both setups, the exdivekick into U2 and lk dive into U2 versions (bonus points for adding in fierce xx lk fireball xx j.mp against sagat, its a sagat specific combo, read the section lol).

Far hk doesnt need a vid its self explanatory. FSE punisher i like the vid thats there right now, also shows off other FSE stuff if whoever sees it wants to carry on watching, though you can do the other 4 combos i mention in FSE punisher just to clarify it abit better.

Full Bnb pinwheel needs a video, example of it working as normal, then into a whiffed version, maybe show what they can do instead, ie. (after fireball) sweep, lk pinwheel and expinwheel. Defo show what happens with sakura in regards to the other pinwheels not comboing.

Dashing under fireballs could use a better video, but not neccessary.

the fuzzys are covered, i like how it is now.

Though id prefer you didnt put all content into one single video (so i can link each seperate video to each seperate section). Ultimately its your invested time, if its helpfull in illustrating the points made here then its going to go up either way, so your call.
    Noted. I'll make a compilation with bells and whistles, then a straight forward video for each of these idea. Sound good?