Sailor Moon S - Arcana Heart? We know thee not. The All-Girls Fighter of kings.

Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes.Joined: Posts: 13,621
edited June 2013 in Other Games
Anyone else play this game? Just picked it up about a month or two ago for SNES9x, played some casuals with friends. Fun game, save for Uranus, pretty balanced.

Anyone ever seen a tier list? I've yet to find one.

Obligatory vids:

Shoryuken - [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S match] Japanese casuals 12

Shoryuken - [ Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S ] All Character Combo Exhibition (NEW VERSION)

Found a SFC cart of this game on ebay for like $10 including shipping, thinking about grabbing it. Still need an SNES though.
Hella boring day, so I thought I'd do this.

Keep in mind, I don't consider myself THE authority on this game, there may be things I'm overlooking. This is largely what I've seen/experienced. I may be judging some chars too harshly, others too favorably. I think this is fairly accurate though.

Lastly, everyone aside from Pluto/Chibi is viable, and even those two have *something* going for them (even if it results from bad situations).

That said...

Jupiter
+ lariat, guard cancel 360 make it nigh impossible to jump in on her. guard cancel 360 will also destroy badly spaced normals
+ strong keepaway w/ thunder dragon and coconut cyclone
+ high damage off lariat combos w/ resets into 360
+ strong oki

- slow normals/walkspeed (this is negligible, you wont be playing footsies too much)
- super isnt very good (damaging, but slow startup/recovery, no invul... honestly you can just forget this exists)

Mars
+ 2 of the best, if not THE best projectiles in the game. fire snake (ground fb) is fast, recovers quick, knocks down. burning mandala (aa fb) travels at an angle that can be difficult to jump over. this pretty much makes her the #1 zoner imo.
+ good walkspeed, fast normals
+ damaging bnb
+ can easily corner trap people w/ fire snake
+ super does good damage even on block, can confuse people (looks like fire snake, but starts travelling upward)

- gc is kinda meh

Neptune
+ jab dp is hilariously hard to stop/punish. just do it.
+ good, safe oki
+ decent fb, not as good as mars though
+ good range on normals, decently fast

- has problems w/ the above two chars (gets fb trapped very easily vs mars, has a little trouble getting around jupiter's fbs)

Mercury:
+ fastest character, has one of the better footsie games
+ pretty good dp, though neptune's is better
+ has two fbs that function similarly to mars (again, not quite as good)
+ has a wall jump

- super is kind of awkward to use

Moon:
+ far jump combined w/ dash canceled air fb gives her a pretty decent left/right game... probably her best aspect.

- short range on normals
- only really gets decent damage in the corner

Venus:
+ good reach on chain attacks
+ good dp
+ multiple fbs etc. see above.

- chains are fairly laggy
- air to air is meh
- painfully slow movement

Uranus:
+ has an infinite (!!!)
+ has a forward dash

- fb game is kinda poor
- infinite is hard to set up, a lot of gc baiting etc is needed to land a clean hit
- forward dash can be reacted to. blindly charging at your opponent will get you killed.

Pluto:
+ her super ranks among the best in the game. safe on block, can be canceled into, can be used as a ghetto forward dash... it has many useful applications.

- lp fb does not go fullscreen, hp fb only covers the space in front of her. don't expect to win fb wars too often.
- laggy normals
- only really becomes a threat at low hp

Chibi-Moon:
+ useful super (good chip dmg, covers the battlefield, once she gets started its almost impossible to move forward against her)
+ dives/instant overhead give her a decent mixup game
+ uhhh... she's moe? :3

- laughable range/speed on normals
- terrible fb, you wont win fb wars. ever.

http://db.tt/lvd4OOdj

I made a spreadsheet with my translation of the matcbup chart from japan.

Jupiter is godtier
Neptune mars mercury and moon are high

Jupiter just has all the tools in the game and back turn light lariat combos do 100% off of any crossup you land.

Neptune has the best DP, and her super dp will do 70% life on counterhit, making it the best and most reliable big punish in the game.

Mars has sickingly good fireball lockdown and can confirm into her HK flipkick off anything for good knockdown and oki.

Mercury has the best LK and decent fireball and reversal options

Moon is the most mobile character and gets some pretty sick keepaway and mixups off doing air hearts during her dashes.

Venus has chain into up fireball lockdown, the up fireballs are insanely good and give you sickening plus frames on hit and block. You can link multiple of them in a combo and do her desperation move after one if you input it fast enough, giving venus access to the most reliable 100% DM combos. Also venus love me chain is a decent reversal tool. J7.HP is a pretty sick instant overhead. And up fireball into walkup throw/love me chain is sick.

Pluto is worthless without her DM, it recovers superfast on whiff giving her forward dash capabilities, and DM whiff cancel combos which can actually do some sick damage if you have the execution. DM whiff leads into sick pressure and mixups too, but you need to lose 50% of your life for pluto to start being a real character, making her have a lot of uphill battles.

The reason Uranus is lowtier despite her godlike training mode status is that her DC lockdown gets blownup by GCs, her fireball sucks ass, her forward dash has a super long duration and isn't invincible, and her normals aren't all that. You can shutdown her forward dash BS with a wellplaced fireball or LK and keep her out all day. But if she gets in she can infinite you so her matchups are all sorts of wonky. Bitch can't do shit versus fireballs that travel over uranus world shaking.

Don't play Chibi moon. Well ok, her DM leads to decent fullscreen chip setups, but that is a lot of chip you're going to have to deal in order to win.

I wrote this all out on my phone so it probably looks like shit, but there you go, my knowledge on the tiers from memory.

Post edited by Missing Person on
XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk

Comments

• BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 10,864
    Here ya go.

YouTube - Soh85's Channel

One of the video's on his channel had a tier list on there. If I remember correctly it was...

Jupiter
    Mars
    Neptune
    Mercury
    Moon
    Venus
    Uranus
    Pluto
    Chibi-Moon

Found it. Here's the list, in Japanese.

Before I forget, there was also a remake that changed some moves and added Saturn. No one ever plays it for some reason...
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,621
    Yeah, I have the ROM for Super S as well, but seeing as how no one plays it, I've stuck with S myself. I would honestly like to know why the Super S version is unplayed.

And thanks for the tier list!
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,621
    So I just won an auction for a copy of Sailor Moon S for the Super Famicom for $10.

And if anyone wants to play me online, hit me up on SNES9x. Can't seem to get the rom working in one version of ZSNES, and the version it works in, it hangs at the character select screen, which is inconsequential, since Netplay is mysteriously disabled.

Contact me to play though. Don't know how the netplay would be.
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    That is a good buy. I definitely will get the Sailor Moon fighters pretty soon when I can. I thought there were no differences aside from characters between the 2 games?

Is it possible to play online with SNES9x emulator on the Wii? If so, I have no idea how to set it up.
    There actually are slight changes, according to the movelists. Each character drops a move, then gains a new one that was unveiled in the Super S season.

Anyways, I'm not sure about the Wii version of SNES9x myself. I know it's possible in the Linux version, so I would also assume it works on the Windows version, but any others, I'm unsure about
  • UNDERSTARUNDERSTAR Joined: Posts: 29
    This bring back memories from like 10 years ago for me, lol. I totally forgot bout this game and now want to find a copy for myself!!!
    There's a lot of them circulating on ebay at various prices.

Look for a copy like this:

SAILOR MOON S NINTENDO SUPER FAMICOM SNES - eBay (item 270631596467 end time Dec-04-10 20:23:27 PST)

That label = The Sailor Moon S fighter.

I was very fortunate to find the one I found for $10. Seller said there were minor scratches to the label, which was ok for me.
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    If its got netplay than I can knock the dust off and we can run this shit.

Bonus points if its got a way I can record so i can upload matches later...
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
    If its got netplay than I can knock the dust off and we can run this shit.

Bonus points if its got a way I can record so i can upload matches later...

No way to record that I found in emulator, but I'm able to record on my laptop pretty well without it lagging up the game.

There is netplay for sure in SNES9x, I just don't know how good it is.

Oh wow, wait, there IS a way to record in SNES9x.
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    Gonna re-download the emu, rom and spend some time wiping the dust off.
    Jupiter
    Mars
    Neptune
    Mercury
    Moon
    Venus
    Uranus
    Pluto
    Chibi-Moon

How on earth is Uranus near the bottom of that tier list =/
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel

That's what I wanna know! No freaking way. Not with her brain dead infinite

But yeah, get at me when you want to play. I can only play on snes9x

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I wish I knew. Maybe they banned her infinite or something. Looking at the list she has a godawful matchup with Venus(Or Moon. I should go research this). Also, I think I read that matchup list wrong,and this is how it goes:

Moon= 4
    Mars= 6
    Mercury= 1
    Jupiter= 7
    Venus= 0
    Pluto= -3
    Neptune= 6
    Uranus= -5
    Chibi Moon= -16

So, in order...

Jupiter
    Mars/Neptune
    Moon
    Mercury
    Venus
    Pluto
    Uranus
    Chibi Moon

I'm gonna go look into translating the list, but hopefully that one's right.

That's what I wanna know! No freaking way. Not with her brain dead infinite

But yeah, get at me when you want to play. I can only play on snes9x

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Can I play you sometime too? Do we need matching versions of Snes9x?
    I wish I knew. Maybe they banned her infinite or something. Looking at the list she has a godawful matchup with Venus(Or Moon. I should go research this). Also, I think I read that matchup list wrong,and this is how it goes:

Moon= 4
    Mars= 6
    Mercury= 1
    Jupiter= 7
    Venus= 0
    Uranus= -3
    Neptune= 6
    Pluto= -5
    Chibi Moon= -16

So, in order...

Jupiter
    Mars/Neptune
    Moon
    Mercury
    Venus
    Uranus
    Pluto
    Chibi Moon

I'm gonna go look into translating the list, but hopefully that one's right.

Can I play you sometime too? Do we need matching versions of Snes9x?

I'm unsure. We could always try and see how it works, but sure feel free to play me. I'm interested in getting real human competition in this game. Can't get better playing by myself lol.
    I'm unsure. We could always try and see how it works, but sure feel free to play me. I'm interested in getting real human competition in this game. Can't get better playing by myself lol.

I'll see if I can go dig up an Snes9x later this weekend and hit you up if your not busy.

Btw I translated the list and fixed it, so it's right now. They must ban Uranus's infinite or something because she's second to last.
    I'll see if I can go dig up an Snes9x later this weekend and hit you up if your not busy.

Btw I translated the list and fixed it, so it's right now. They must ban Uranus's infinite or something because she's second to last.

Either that or ban her forward dash, which the main reason sje jas the infinite. Doesn't make sense that angel only gave one character a forward dash.

Well I guess sailor moon has a pseudo forward dash but it doesn't count lol.
    My copy just came in from Japan today. Sweet. Time to get my mc cthulhus flashed for snes capabilities now.
    I got some free time this weekend, hopefully I can get some games in.

I've been toying with the sequal for a bit though, and I might look for a list for that (or just attempt to do one), since everyone got changed so drastically.
  • T.A.GT.A.G Joined: Posts: 1
    That tier list is easily read by color
    Uranus
    Mars
    Mercury
    Jupitier
    Moon
    Pluto
    Neptune
    Venus(?)
    ChibiMoon
    I got some free time this weekend, hopefully I can get some games in.

I've been toying with the sequal for a bit though, and I might look for a list for that (or just attempt to do one), since everyone got changed so drastically.

Hopefully we can when I'm off work. Having internet problems, but if things are working properly at that time, we'll play.

Send me an im when you can play. If I'm not logged into im, send me a pm or email through here. My droid will notify me.

I'm off at 9pm Friday and 8pm Saturday et
    Hopefully we can when I'm off work. Having internet problems, but if things are working properly at that time, we'll play.

Send me an im when you can play. If I'm not logged into im, send me a pm or email through here. My droid will notify me.

I'm off at 9pm Friday and 8pm Saturday et

Sorry, I got busy last weekend. Just PM me when you want to play and we'll work something out.
    That tier list is easily read by color
    Uranus
    Mars
    Mercury
    Jupitier
    Moon
    Pluto
    Neptune
    Venus(?)
    ChibiMoon

If it was by color Moon would be at the top. Try actually translating the names and putting the numbers in order next time.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    Still don't get why nobody plays Super S instead. Is Saturn a bad character or something?
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    Still don't get why nobody plays Super S instead. Is Saturn a bad character or something?

Nah, she's probably one of the best (in my opinion). She has ok normals, 2 ground projectiles, and a very nice air projectile. A big weakness she has is that you can block the last hit of her desperation move, so she never deals full damage with it.

I have an idea as to why no one plays it, but it's probably wrong. I wish there was some info on a Japanese forum or something.
    Personally I think most everyone in s got weaker in super s, minus uranus and maybe pluto. If I'm reading the move list right, pluto is the only one who didn't have a move replaced. But a lot of pivotal moves got removed imo, like mercury's charge projectile and moon's heart projectile, that move combined with her forward dash makes for solid mixups.

Jupiter may be similar, but oak evolution was a solid projectile, but her air to ground projectile is solid on wakeups, and her spinning kicks and 360 grab is gravy.

Only characters I didn't try were venus and chibi. Neptunes charge projectile is crap.

Wait, neptune has no removal either, bur her addition is still trash.
  • MusourenkaMusourenka Mech Rush kekeke! Joined: Posts: 120
    One obvious change in Venus is that she lost her highly-duckable Crescent Beam and gained the horrible-startup-yet-still-duckable Love and Beauty Shock.
    One obvious change in Venus is that she lost her highly-duckable Crescent Beam and gained the horrible-startup-yet-still-duckable Love and Beauty Shock.

Yeah, Venus's entire gameplan revolved around corner pressure anyway. Get them into the corner, keep them there with love me chain, and that weird AA projectile. on top of that, her dhalsim like HP. If someone were to rely on her horizontal projectile, they're playing her wrong.
    I see Crescent Beam as more of a defense in projectile wars rather than an attack plan; it's nice to have in that case. But you're right that she's all about corner lockdown.
    Right. More a defensive measure than anything, which is nullified by the startup in super s.
    Personally I think most everyone in s got weaker in super s, minus uranus and maybe pluto. If I'm reading the move list right, pluto is the only one who didn't have a move replaced. But a lot of pivotal moves got removed imo, like mercury's charge projectile and moon's heart projectile, that move combined with her forward dash makes for solid mixups.

Jupiter may be similar, but oak evolution was a solid projectile, but her air to ground projectile is solid on wakeups, and her spinning kicks and 360 grab is gravy.

Only characters I didn't try were venus and chibi. Neptunes charge projectile is crap.

Wait, neptune has no removal either, bur her addition is still trash.

Uranus didn't get a removal either, but her new attack isn't exactly useful.

Chibi is still the same cept her desperation got changed to one with high startup but hits you anywhere on the screen.

Everyone cept Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune (and maybe Mars) basically got nerfed. That may be why people don't play Super S that much. That and I read on a guide that Saturn could chain her desperation into her desperation, but I've never managed to do that.
    Yeah I think the inners got the nerf hammer easily. The outers had no real changes for the better or worse. Saturn was pretty stupid. If I had to guess, competitive matches boiled down to saturn vs. Uranus.

So when you see the super s and realize it did hardly anything except make the inners much less playable, save Venus if she gets in, and I can see why s gets the playtime.
    Bious, I don't know if you got my messages, but I got sailor moon working with zsnes 1.41. If you want to give it a try later let me know

Signed,
    Everybody
    As far as I know, 1.51 is the only version that has problems with S. Oddly enough, it runs Super S just fine.
    Yeah, that's the version I had, and it would just sit after selecting characters looping ghe char select music.

S works perfectly fine in 1.41, which is coincidentally the last version of zsnes that had netplay enabled. The only problem I have is the sound being distorted, but that's a minor complaint, I have no slowdown issues or bugs.

Snes9k just won't work for me. Either it has massive slowdown, or projectiles just randomly will be invisible (either 1p or 2p, never both at the same time).

Signed,
    Everybody
    Bump.

So I finally found a SNES, modded it, and have been playing this the way it's meant to be played.

Working on a full-on FAQ regarding this game, trying to capture everything I can and know about it. If you guys have any input, let me know.

Also, Bious, we still need to try to play.
  • mugenmidgetmugenmidget The intruder will not elude me. Joined: Posts: 62
    Looking forward to it, Missing Person! I have the Super S version of this game which is a lot of fun but this thread's got me interested in grabbing the S version. I'd be willing to stream some matches from the SNES some night, too. Watching some of these videos and reading this thread I think we have a ways to go as far as understanding the game, so your FAQ will help a ton, thanks again.
    Multi Tap Classic Console Showcase, multiplayer retro gaming streams and more! Follow our channel to find out when we're live: http://www.justin.tv/mugenmidget
    Thanks! I keep disseminating and dissecting all the information available on this game, and learning on my own.

Tonight, I was trying to see if Jupiter's air projectile could be TK'd. I got it once on accident, haven't been able to replicate it. You can do it low to the ground without trying to TK it, but you have to be insanely quick and accurate with the motions...almost like Juri's dive kick.

But then I rewatched this:

- [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S match

First (most obvious) to note is the use of Uranus's infinite. Apparently Japan either doesn't ban it and doesn't think she's broken with it, or it's soft banned because they think that it's (again) not game breaking. You have to get it hit in a specific circumstance to get it, and the Uranus player has to be really precise. But yeah, it's painful if it gets connected.

The other thing I really saw used was (Gasp!) dash cancels into aerial specials. With this, it's almost like "why waste time trying to TK Jupiter's ground projectile when she can do it + gain some invincibility frames on the jump?"

So I'll be practicing that tonight. Some other small things of note that I already learned:

-Any connected normal (blocked or hit) can be cancelled into pretty much any special or a dash. Great for protection.
    -And WTF Moon crossup gimmicks!

I'm getting a capture card in the mail soon, and my group's going to start doing streams when we get together. We're also intending on doing it danizen style, and want to implement viewer's choice for like an hour each night, so pretty much anything out of our collection is fair game.

This means Sailor Moon S, since I have it on SNES, and now have a SNES cable for my MC Cthulhu modded Saulabi. Controllers FTL.

So when we start this, get to voting if you want to see some Sailor Moon S matches.

EDIT: Just got the Jupiter DC Coconut Cyclone. Only took about 2 minutes to figure it out. Key thing to watch for is to do it near the end of the dash. Doing it early results in zero results. Might post up a video explanation later.

=====

Sigh, if only there were good netplay options for this. :sad:
    Just found and added 3 new videos of Japanese casual matches to the media section. Check them out!

Sadly, with the current order of things in Nippon, this may the last high level play we see of this game for a while. :sad:
  • apple arcadeapple arcade Joined: Posts: 345
    i want to get into this game.

is it available on anything else besides super famicom?
    XBL = APPLE 01 DOJ
    Just the Super Famicom. There's other Sailor Moon fighters available on the 3DO, PS1, and Saturn, but all of them are import only titles, and none of them are really any good. This game is the competitive standard for Sailor Moon fighters. However, you can honestly find this one on the cheap on eBay from Japan (I picked up mine for $8 IIRC), and modding a SNES to play Super Famicom games is super easy, I don't know how anyone could screw it up. So you might look into that.

There's also emulators, but they tend to suffer from slowdown. However, if there was a good SNES emulator with great netplay, I'd be all over that.
  • apple arcadeapple arcade Joined: Posts: 345
    Yea, I don't want to buy a SFC/SNES. If I buy that then I'll open an entirely new can of "games I absolutely have to buy again".

Maybe Hell will freeze over and they'll make a new game or XBLA port. I know I'm dreaming but I mean Deathsmiles saw a North America release so it could happen!
    XBL = APPLE 01 DOJ
    Best bet would be a PSN port or a Wii Classic Console port. Although I have no clue who owns the rights to this game now, since I'm pretty sure Angel is now a defunct developer, so it might not happen. Best hope of that happening is to see a Sailor Moon revival in Japan or something, but considering this only got released in Japan, I'd say it's very unlikely we see it over here. Best option is a PSN Store port, get a Japanese account and PSN card to buy it.
  • zenzenzenzen キムチ悪い Joined: Posts: 3,487
    <%SpiritJuice> man last night
    <%SpiritJuice> me koogy and yipes
    <%SpiritJuice> played sailor moon
    <%SpiritJuice> for a few hours
    <%SpiritJuice> shit was actually pretty fun
    <%SpiritJuice> yipes actually really likes the game
    <%SpiritJuice> haha

Is anyone playing this on zbattle or any other online SNES emulator? Been wanting to get into the game for a while.
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
    If I could find a decent emulator on Linux with online, I'd be into it. I'd love to find one with Kaillera but so far have been unsuccessful. I've came into an XP desktop, and my wife has a Vista laptop, so once I can get online with the desktop, I'd like to try playing online with Sailor Moon S. Me & Bious tried to play before, but our emulator versions didn't seem to want to play nice. Don't know what was up, but let's give this a try soon.

My home internet should be turned on soon *crosses fingers*

Was supposed to be turned on today.

And shouts to Yipes for knowing quality games.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,575
    I need to figure out where I can buy the cartridge so I can legally stream the game on FinestKO. :|
    I bought my copy on ebay. You should be able to find a few on there easily.
    Don't see any on Ebay. :(
  • zenzenzenzen キムチ悪い Joined: Posts: 3,487
    Don't see any on Ebay. :(

Scott, isn't this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Famicom-SNES-Sailor-Moon-S-Jougai-Rantou-Shuyaku-Soudatsusen-JPN-/320756010639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae8c4e8f

EDIT: Wow, me and MP posting the same link 1 minute between each other.
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
    I had the search done and ready two hours ago, but my school is doing a sports day here, so I had to go outside.

But yeah, doubtless this is it. Like I said, I own a copy myself (it's currently being stored with my SNES and other old systems at my mom's house in the US), so I know a copy when I see it.
    Thanks. Will buy it soon.
    Sweet, I for one am hyped. Get people hooked on this game.