Hit Box - We so S Tier1!!

Comments

• hlcwshlcws Joined: Posts: 105
    Arcade Keyboard Warriors of the World, assemble!

mobile20photo2015.07.2hb5u.jpg

Good idea with putting the jump on the thumb. Makes it easier to piano certain moves.

Keyboard Shortcuts one should know to buffer while blocking:
    Charge and hold b, tap f twice +3p for Guile U2

Hold b, f,d,f,d +3k for Guy ultra 2 (hcb hcb)

Hold b, d,f,u,d,f,u +3P for Gief Ultra (720)

Charge and Hold db, tap f twice +3k for Vega Ultra 2

Charge db, hold d, tap f,b,u for Guile U1 (or was it Vega U1?)

Hold d, tap u, k for instant stompkicks (Seth, Chun)
    Hold d, tap uf, k for instant rufus dive

thats what I know off the top of my head
    VIPER TRISH X23
    GHOSTRIDER WESKER STRIDER
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 687
    Later on, you could possibly design one that has a stick that's far enough away that it won't interfere with the directional buttons, and a toggle switch that directs power to either the stick or the 4 buttons. This way if they stupidly ban the use of the directional button scheme you aren't fucked.

To all the people that think this scheme of directional buttons giving too much of an advantage, I say this...

1]If it does, great. Not only would it have improve everyone's game that uses it, but everyone else should have thought of this before and implemented it, and losing will be the punishment. Just keep in mind, it won't let them play smart enough to win by itself. It's not like this will save him against the likes of Justin Wong or Daigo. Great players are great players for a reason. They adapt to, outsmart you, then flush you down the toilet.

2]If it doesn't great, you proved my point.

I think we should donate one to Justin Wong and see if he likes it LOL!!!
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • LeftyLefty ENJUKEN!!! Joined: Posts: 1,312
    I would definitely need to try one of these out before I buy. Subscribed and waiting on prices.
    When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,133
    I'm going to make one of these. The only reason I never bothered with a keyboard stick is that WASD made it too difficult to do Tiger Knee motions and was doing that so much with Dhalsim. This will make for such a portable button box.
    I'm going to make one of these. The only reason I never bothered with a keyboard stick is that WASD made it too difficult to do Tiger Knee motions and was doing that so much with Dhalsim. This will make for such a portable button box.
    I'd love to see what you come up with RT!
  • seasofcheese929seasofcheese929 Sonic Boob! Joined: Posts: 354
    i want one so bad......so how does the padhack work? Would it be reasonable to get one that works on 360, PS2 and PS3?
    I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese.
  • bigsexyc420bigsexyc420 Keystone II Joined: Posts: 456
    def intrigued by this, would love to see how a vid of it in a real match setting.
    "Contra on the DS makes me want to punch myself in the balls"
    -Monte
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    As it turns out one of the Huffer brothers lives close to me and is letting me borrow a Hit Box tonight. When I get it I'll happily answer any questions you may have about the Hit Box as well as uploading a few videos. I plan on doing my own tutorial, even though the Huffer's have already made one, I feel I could go into more depth as well as show off a few tricks and how to perform them like Tiger Knee instant air moves and things like Guile's dash U1. I might do a Hit Box SSF4 combo video and there's a chance I might play a few other games since I'm told the Hit Box is PC compatible.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • RaveSageRaveSage Shocking Joined: Posts: 33
    if you (the guys how created it) realy search perfektion i would add 2 buttons (one for both thumps!) and not only one !

the case is simple

1. you can mapp both to jump and everything works like your way bevore
    2. you can mapp one to BACKWARD and then its possible to BLINK LP/LK flawlessly with it! (SF4 only)

can you please add a 300px matrix for the button layout?

I thought about this before as well but looking at the new design, I'd say a second jump button would hurt more than help. When I sketched it out and tried positioning my hand for a 2147 motion it felt like I had to roll my hand backward. Was not comfortable at all. Also, you now have to reposition your hands if you want to do say, a 236 > jump > 214 > jump. It just becomes a little more complex than it needs to be. The new design with a 30mm button for jump accessible by both thumbs is much better in the long run.

Also, I sort of see how the HitBox is set up now (or at least can guess) based on the video. Naturally, the 4/6/8 attack buttons can be however you want them. the trick is the Right button is equidistant from LP and LK. Then an arc is made with Down and Left from there. So if you were to look at Left Down Right LK it should start forming a circle. Up is set to follow the arc of the button layout.

Come on with that measurement guide already. >.<
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭
    Now that I think of it, this kinda reminds me of a WASD setup, only using ASD + Space to "jump". :bgrin:
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
  • seasofcheese929seasofcheese929 Sonic Boob! Joined: Posts: 354
    Now that I think of it, this kinda reminds me of a WASD setup, only using ASD + Space to "jump". :bgrin:

I've already changed all my GGPO settings to that exact configuration to prepare :wgrin:
    I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,896 ✭✭
    You know you're old school if you play using HJKL as directions.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
    This might be going a bit too extreme but how about using 20mm/18mm buttons for Left, Down, and Right? Give your fingers pretty much no travel time at all.
    This might be going a bit too extreme but how about using 20mm/18mm buttons for Left, Down, and Right? Give your fingers pretty much no travel time at all.

Smaller buttons do not equal faster travel time. As long as you don't have to reach to hit any of the buttons going smaller wouldn't change anything.
    The 20mm and 18mm sanwa Shinden buttons have a really high resistance, and require a hard press to activate them. Not very fast response time. Any finger travel time gained would be negated by how hard and far in you have to push them in before they activate.

If you put say a Gameboy Adv. SP on top of 3 of the 18/20mm buttons, the springs in the button would hold the portable up and not engage. If you did the same to 24/30mm Sanwas all the buttons would engage.
    I have recieved the Hit Box and am now capable of answering questions. I'll try to get some videos up later, but for now I'm sticking to text.
    The 20mm and 18mm sanwa Shinden buttons have a really high resistance, and require a hard press to activate them. Not very fast response time. Any finger travel time gained would be negated by how hard and far in you have to push them in before they activate.

If you put say a Gameboy Adv. SP on top of 3 of the 18/20mm buttons, the springs in the button would hold the portable up and not engage. If you did the same to 24/30mm Sanwas all the buttons would engage.

Didn't know they were harder to activate. so much for that then...

I ordered some buttons from LL tonight so if things go well I'll have a HitBox near January.
  • XMetalXMetal Just Be Madness Joined: Posts: 358
    omg! this is madness! i've been experimenting with this for awhile and i actually liked it better than the stick myself in almost every area

keyboardstick.jpg

i think we have a lot we can discuss! check your pm man

and THANK YOU SO MUCH for bringing this to the people :)
    Guys. Seriously. Guys. You're not going to believe this, I've had this Hit Box for maybe an hour and I can standing 720 on it, or at least Vangief's standing 720 that is buffered from a LK. So that makes both requests, the dash Guile U1 and the standing 720 possible. When I can get a camera I'm going to have quite a video to make.
    I'd love to see what you come up with RT!

Looking at what xmetal got.
    I think I am just going to go the lazy route and just have tek-innovations fabricate a HRAP top panel for my Tekken 5 stick. My T5 I heavily modded with a top loader and db25 port. I have some custom internal harnesses so that panels can be swapped in and out with ease.

I'm thinking I'd most like a mirrored vewlix layout. -2 on the left.

HRAP_ButtonBox.jpg
  • miniiminii Mundo posts where he pleases! Joined: Posts: 543
    Could you in anyway make one so that you could have one button for two directions as an additional button? If that makes sense... so you had like up, down, left, right and then a down back button also? I'm sure there must be a way. That would certainly make for some interesting/easy setups. It would take a while to adjust too but I'm sure it would be worth it. Strangely, cheaper aswell.
    AE 2K12: Sakura
    SFxT: Law/Heihachi
  • doctorfedoradoctorfedora Northern Kyoto boonies Joined: Posts: 15
    You'd need two separate "down-back" buttons. Besides, the value to one button per finger is that you can just as easily put two fingers down as one.
  • kasprfotokasprfoto part time player, part time modder Joined: Posts: 769
    color me curious, lol. i'll be making/modding one of these. if i can't adjust, it'll show up in the Trading Outlet ;)
  • MayhemMayhem Mostly Harmless Joined: Posts: 576
    Would it not make sense to add a second jump button to the far left for the pinkie? That way one could intuitively perform tiger-knee motions in either direction using three adjacent fingers...
    Once I start I cannot stop myself
  • DeahonDeahon Joined: Posts: 1
    Flic a bic to the stick

when you get around to making the more videos can you put up videos for tekken for wave dashing, back dashing, and side cancels and is the most resent video box a general box for any fighting game? cause I play BB,SSF and Tekken. also whenever possible could you put up a potential BB box setup ? (^_^)V
  • KurasaKurasa Don't Shake My Hand Joined: Posts: 1,285 mod
    My hitbox arrived yesterday and I'm busy gettin the hang of it (THANKS DUSTIN). I'll play the SSF4 tourney at Focus Fire on it and chronicle my progression through my SRK blog.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    WHOA WHOA WHOA!! Devour a mountain!!
    WHOA WHOA WHOA!! Devour an ocean!!
  • KisamaKisama Joined: Posts: 1
    Arcade Keyboard Warriors of the World, assemble!
    You summoned me and here I am. Albeit, we call them "ABC", All-button-Controllers here.

Kuva0331.jpg
    And I roll with
    [up]
    [right [down]

But I've gone through every layout I have thought of. And now leaning towards using only index and middle finger for all movement, since ring/pinky finger will always be slower and weaker. I play Tekken and this is for bdc and wavedash.

Also, heres more pics, of the making, the prototype, the layouts and future layout.
    Word of caution though, it might be horrifying to watch for those who know anything of building stuff, as this was my first time doing anything with wood.
    Index of /~kantanen/ohjain
    Looking at what xmetal got.
    I think I am just going to go the lazy route and just have tek-innovations fabricate a HRAP top panel for my Tekken 5 stick. My T5 I heavily modded with a top loader and db25 port. I have some custom internal harnesses so that panels can be swapped in and out with ease.

I'm thinking I'd most like a mirrored vewlix layout. -2 on the left.

*SNIP*

That seems cool. I think I'd prefer the astro city layout because the buttons seem more naturally contoured. The buttons are placed perfectly for where our fingertips land.
  • hlcwshlcws Joined: Posts: 105

You'd be better off using Cherry MX Switches (Red if possible, if not Black or maybe ghetto blacks) with keyboard keycaps...
    I've been planning to do that for a while now. Will order the parts soon.
    VIPER TRISH X23
    GHOSTRIDER WESKER STRIDER
    we call them "ABC", All-button-Controllers here.

You can call it whatever you want, Hit Box is a brand.
  • DmanXIIXDmanXIIX Joined: Posts: 58
    I want this badly. For me it just makes much more sense than a stick. I'm traditionally a pad user whose been attempting to convert to stick but seeing this just clicked for me. Seems like a truly accurate and superior way of inputting.

If there's a list put me on it. If not let me know the minute I can get my hands on one.
    I wonder if you could combine button signals to one button. For instance, having one button for down/back.
    I wonder if you could combine button signals to one button. For instance, having one button for down/back.

You can but it involves using diodes or other logic components.
  • ProxfordProxford Joined: Posts: 20
    Are you selling these currently? Or will we have to wait for your website to go up first?
  • pixeldotzpixeldotz Joined: Posts: 231
    i made a "punchpad" like 4 years ago posted in the original 'stick' thread. it has since been taken out but i just uploaded this my flickr acct a few minutes ago.

i've since taken it apart since my newer sticks are so much better. :lovin:

5247916256_d127211884.jpg

5247314381_2a9c717f3f.jpg

very heavy but easy to use. weighed like 8 lbs.
  • Kid TigerKid Tiger Joined: Posts: 20
    Would Hit Box sticks be legal at all levels of tournament play?

How easy would it be to mod something like this yourself? Is there soldering involved or is it just a matter of getting 4 extra buttons and wiring them into different places? My question is how messy does something like this look on the inside and is it really that difficult to do?
    Are you selling these currently? Or will we have to wait for your website to go up first?
    Yes, they are currently being sold. At the end of one of the videos (I think it's the basics video) there is an e-mail. Contact that e-mail and tell them you want one, you'll be put on a list. There is a surprisingly high demand for Hit Boxes, so be patient, as it's only two brothers making these for everyone.

How easy would it be to mod something like this yourself? Is there soldering involved or is it just a matter of getting 4 extra buttons and wiring them into different places? My question is how messy does something like this look on the inside and is it really that difficult to do?

There hasn't yet been a tournament that has said these button boxes are illegal. They've been in the scene for a while, and no one has had any major problem against it. I don;t think the legality of them will be called into question until someone makes it to top 8 at a major with one of them. As for your more technical questions, I can't really answer them, but if you contact the Huffer's by e-mail I'm sure they can answer it for you. They have a lot on their plate right now and don't have the time to check SRK as often as they would want.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Scurred of Anime. #nfgnl Joined: Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Why wouldn't they be? If controllers aren't banned these shouldn't be either. Just another input method.

2. If done on a factory stick it would be difficult unless you could get art hong to make you a plexi replacement panel based on their layout. Otherwise, enjoy buying all the tools, epoxy, and tylenol associated with modding your existing panel,

Making a custom box would be easy. Just need the right layout.

Wiring is the same as wiring a joystick up. Just match the wires for each input to the desired button, run a ground to each wire, and done. Only messy if you don't know how to utilize cable management.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I wish there existed a swimming pool filled with ammonia and hypodermic needles, so you could drown in it." --Vynce
    "Church of the Almighty God: Jesus died for our sins....now it's your turn" --SoVi3t
    "bitch looks like a french fry with eyebrows" --BallTapper
    "I'm pretty sure not getting kaz lynched will drive MP to insanity, and he'll spend the rest of days selling duck ramen with roasted kitten in them. Like turduckitten, without the tur." --Shadowwolf82
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U / GGPO: Missing Person / Steam: El.Lapiz.Peluda / QQ: 2592122536
    Twitter: TOJLFLMssngPrsn + TeamLFLGaming
    Currently 6-4 in SRK Mafia (Flights to El Salvador and Louisiana confirmed. Missing Person gonna haveta chokabitch.)
    One half of SRK's contingent to the Game of Mafia Champions.
    Only messy if you don't know how to utilize cable management.

That would be I. However, I'm a pretty smart cat and could handle the job with a bit of guidance, no problem. Maybe even a tutorial. I looked on Google and couldn't find anything. Can someone kindly link me if it's not too much trouble. I know how obnoxious it can be for people to post questions without doing a little searching themselves. I assure you this is not the case.

And I'm definitely interested in one of Art's Tek Cases and a couple of us have already asked him if he would be willing to allow custom panel designs for the layout on those. I'm sure dude is swamped right now. My only concern is that the Hit Box'ers wont be able to make an aesthetically pleasing stick like Art can.

Would it be possible to gut out a Hit Box with ease and just reinsert it into a Tek Case if Art lets us do custom panel designs for the cases?
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Scurred of Anime. #nfgnl Joined: Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible to gut out a Hit Box with ease and just reinsert it into a Tek Case if Art lets us do custom panel designs for the cases?

Unless they super glue their circuit boards into the case this won't be much of a problem. Just label each wire to where it goes, unhook the buttons, put them in art's case, then rewire everything.

Honestly, wiring these things up isn't difficult. Check out slagcoin.com for more info. Replace everything you see regarding joysticks with buttons.
    "I wish there existed a swimming pool filled with ammonia and hypodermic needles, so you could drown in it." --Vynce
    "Church of the Almighty God: Jesus died for our sins....now it's your turn" --SoVi3t
    "I'm pretty sure not getting kaz lynched will drive MP to insanity, and he'll spend the rest of days selling duck ramen with roasted kitten in them. Like turduckitten, without the tur." --Shadowwolf82
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U / GGPO: Missing Person / Steam: El.Lapiz.Peluda / QQ: 2592122536
    Currently 6-4 in SRK Mafia (Flights to El Salvador and Louisiana confirmed. Missing Person gonna haveta chokabitch.)

Historically ABCs are allowed at Evo. They probably allow for doing things that aren't possible with a conventional stick.

You've got to mount the buttons in addition to wiring them. I think you'd be able to make one by replacing the faceplate of a TE with drilled plywood or plexi.

I'm pretty sure that button controllers will allow some clever option selects, but it's probably marginal for most games.
    Historically ABCs are allowed at Evo. They probably allow for doing things that aren't possible with a conventional stick.

You've got to mount the buttons in addition to wiring them. I think you'd be able to make one by replacing the faceplate of a TE with drilled plywood or plexi.

Not any kind of plexi. If you get it too thin, it breaks. Too thick, it won't get held down by the nuts. And on top of that, hand drilling plexi is insanely tedious and prone to breakage.

Better off to get the panel made by art.
    Better off to get the panel made by art.

Looking forward to a reply from him. :) Thanks for the link too.
  • Raoul DukeRaoul Duke Look on the bright side,suicide. Joined: Posts: 967
    OK. Thats it. I'm making one.
    Do you know how slim I can make a case without a joystick!
    Damn that sonuvabitch is gonna be slim.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

The one I'm borrowing is about 2 1/4th inches.
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,558
    this is what the future looks like.
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.

Yeah make it with the PS-15s and bend the metal tabs Solder directly to the switch, you might be able to get something only about an inch thick.

Seimitsu PS-15 30mm Snap-In Buttons
    Yeah make it with the PS-15s and bend the metal tabs Solder directly to the switch, you might be able to get something only about an inch thick.

Seimitsu PS-15 30mm Snap-In Buttons

Wow. Well, if you guys make one that slim, you gonna have to add something very "non-slip" and grippy on the bottom for people to use on their laps or on a table so it doesn't move.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Ha, I remember mentioning this type of horizontal directional button setup on GGPO years back when I first heard about Ryu1999's "box of buttons" (which everyone probably saw on Evo stream last year). This was actually my theoretical concept of making 360 grapplers brokenly easy in ST if anyone mastered the scheme.

I figured that you'd have to have duplicate directional buttons in order to easily pull off 360s in both directions (ST has different landing distances depending on which way you perform a 360; not sure about later SF games). But having up able to be pressed by the right thumb is a clever way to bypass that issue.

If anyone could master this setup on directional-execution-heavy characters and play in tourneys, I'd be curious if this could be as overpowering as I had thought (a button format allows for tighter input spacing than with stick or pad). As has been mentioned, some games don't account for being able to press multiple directions as once so it may be possible to get an unfair advantage.

For example, HDR early on was revealed to have a charge glitch where on the left side of the screen, you can hold analog back (or down-back) to charge but still use digital directions to move around, including move right. This glitch has since been patched but my joke at the time was that if there was a button for analog left on a custom controller, you could easily break the game by doing stuff like Guile walking forward and then somersault or super.