Hit Box - We so S Tier1!!

Comments

• 9thpixel9thpixel 9 Joined: Posts: 211
    9thpixel: When you say the USB cable plug-in fails at time, do you mean it suddenly disconnects while using it (which John just mentioned), or plugging it in at first and not getting a working joystick, having to unplug it and try again? If the latter, I noticed that the PCB will enumerate as a different (non-joystick) device depending on which buttons you have pressed while you plug it in. That means that if your controller is upside-down or if you're just resting your hands on it while you plug it in, it most likely won't work until you plug it back in again without any buttons being pressed. I assume this behaviour is a debug backdoor to facilitate firmware flashing.
    It rarely happens, but at times it will just simply lose connection with console while playing. All it takes is a quick reconnect of the usb to fix it. So long as I remember to unplug the part of the usb that connects to the Hit Box when I am done playing, then problems are few and far between.
    It could be just that the buttons are 24 mm instead of the traditional 30 mm and your fingers need to adjust to the different spacing. Not sure if it's PCB related, but you seem to have the tech know how to test that I suppose if you were so inclined. Either way, I'm sure more practice couldn't hurt.

The Hit Box is largely unchanged, however there's a few key differences on newer models. Firstly, we found out what the issue was with the controllers disconnecting at times and a change to the case was made accordingly. If any of you with a newer model were to open your case, you'd notice a ground wire going directly to the case. This is to prevent shorting out the PCB, which would cause the disconnect to occur. Sufficient to say that disconnects shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Also we added rubber feet. Not a huge deal, but people wanted them and they help cover the screws, so there you go.
    I see, I am rather sad to see the White Hit Box go, but I understand that people just want a slick black these days. The Multi-console is tempting, but I think I will stay with what I have for now. If I had to put input on the table I hope for in the future:

1. Smaller Hit Box. The width is needed for palm support, but the length looks like it could be shortened.
    2. Some sort of indicator for what buttons do on the artwork.
    PSN: NinthPixel
    Dalton, GA Youtube - youtube.com/Ergeniz
  • PlagmanPlagman Joined: Posts: 15
    1. Smaller Hit Box. The width is needed for palm support, but the length looks like it could be shortened.

I think the length is needed if you rest it on your lap, as most people do when playing? However I have to say the middle of my palms rest exactly where the plexi ends, and the edge is rather sharp. Not sharp enough to be painful, but you still feel it; maybe a small bevel would go a long way. However, I realize these little things quickly add up, cost-wise.
    It could be just that the buttons are 24 mm instead of the traditional 30 mm and your fingers need to adjust to the different spacing. Not sure if it's PCB related, but you seem to have the tech know how to test that I suppose if you were so inclined. Either way, I'm sure more practice couldn't hurt.

I did some more experimentation with that; I used the side of a book to quickly slam the three punches in quick succession, with the same excessive strength in both cases. On the MadCatz stick (with Sanwa 30mm), input in training mode always looked like a perfectly clean sequence of 3P. So for five hits, you'd get:

LMH
    LMH
    LMH
    LMH
    LMH

With the HitBox (Cthulhu-based), input looked more like:

LMH
    LM
    LMH
    LMH
    LMH
    H
    LMH

So you'd definitely get the five 3P, but sometimes you'd only get one or a few the frame before; to me, the PCB looks a lot more sensitive than what MadCatz ships, which I suppose is a good thing. In practice it means that if you have both Super and Ultra ready it's really easy to perform Super by accident.

Can anyone give it a whirl in training mode, set both Super and Ultra gauges to infinite and try to crank out 20 Ryu U1s? If you never get Super out, it's all in my head. :)

EDIT: don't use the 3P shortcut, obviously.
  • mizuzumizuzu Joined: Posts: 22
    Hey guys, I got my hitbox like two days ago and I've been practicing non stop. There was a period many years ago when I used to play with a chicklet style keyboard so I know the benefits of having directions mapped to buttons. Anyways I'm having serious issues with moves just not coming out, Notably srk motions and charge supers. I'm noticing if I slow down they to come out with more success. I was reading some posts a while ago on hitboxes and read a post (can't find it now) about some guy saying something about how inputting stuff too fast doesn't work because of something in the firmware and 5 frames (don't know if he was talking about cthulhu or ps360+) and how he changed his to 1 frame and now can input as fast as he wants. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I just crazy and am mixing up stuff I read?

I'm on a PS360+ hitbox BTW

PS. Anyone know if there's a firmware for PS360+ to have L+R behave so it's the last button pressed that takes priority? I think this would make charge supers much easier. Isn't PS360+ open source? I thought it would have a firmware like that by now but I can't find anything.
    I haven't heard anything about what you're talking about; for SRK motions I use the shortcuts most of the time: tap Down while holding Forward (Down must be fully released before inputting the attack buttons) or tap Forward while holding Down.

Unfortunately I can't find the source code of the firmware of the PS360+ either, otherwise I'd have been able to help you out. They claim it's "Open Source", but I suspect they're only talking about the development/flashing environment, which is deceptive.

Your best bet without the firmware source code would be to use an additional PCB as an interposer, like described there; it should adapt to the PS360+ as long as you find the proper pins to hijack:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-want-to-mod-my-hitbox-help-plz.152533/#post-7868535
  • Shawn HufferShawn Huffer Joined: Posts: 34
    I wouldn't worry about any sort of firmware lag or things of that nature. Toodles and Akishop have both done really good jobs on making sure their boards are top notch.

It is very likely that you're inputting moves much faster then before and your fingers are not quite 100% locked into something like a 3 frame SRK every time. It is also possible that on a charge super you may be accidentally pressing an SOCD of Left + Right, which in the case of a charge super would give you a neutral input.

Since you're still in your first week, I would recommend doing moves at first at a speed you're getting a high consistency with; then speeding up. If you do that you should be able to have consistent 3 frame SRK motions or anything else very soon.

You're always welcome to email myself or Dustin at hitboxes@gmail.com for any tips or tricks we can give to help you through a trouble spot if you find one!

I made this video to help new players breakdown moves when they're first getting started with the Hit Box. The hope is that players can observe the moves and timing of Dustins fingers so that they can compare what they're doing right, or what they're doing wrong if they are experiencing trouble.

• MiltonMilton Joined: Posts: 7
    So I'm thinking about getting a hit box since my stick just broke. I have SSF4AE on the PC so I decided to set my keyboard up in the same layout as the hit box to try it out.

So far so good however I've run into a problem I can't seem to solve, one of the best utility moves Blanka has 'River Run' which is crouch forward high punch just doesn't work. I've tried timing it and all sorts but I can't seem to get it to work. Similarly on a stick I'm used to crouching back with Ryu for block and then playing footsie from that position but that can't seem to be done either I have to release back to get the kick off. That ones not so bad but the Blanka one is infuriating.

Am I missing something? If i'm not it rather puts me off the idea of the Hit Box.

Amendment -
    It works on the right side so (Left + Down + HP), but not (Right + Down + HP). Still can't work this one out.

Also are the Hit Boxes available in the UK or available for shipping to the UK?
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,892 ✭✭
    Am I missing something? If i'm not it rather puts me off the idea of the Hit Box

Are you sure your keyboard can send all of those letters at the same time?
    http://www.gigahype.com/nkey-rollover-test-page/
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
    Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm into super turbo so shortcuts are not possible. As for the interceptor setup, I like your idea. I saw your video when you first posted it and thought it was a good idea but wondered why you just didn't rewrite the firmware. I guess now I know and the reason is that PS360+ is not really open source. I actually have an Arduino Uno right now, but I think I'll look into using a little US quarter size Arduino I got on kickstarter (it's called a digispark). The only bad thing about them is that you have to solder the headers. since when I ordered them I thought they came with female headers standard and I don't have a soldering gun, but I'll figure it out.
  • MiltonMilton Joined: Posts: 7
    Are you sure your keyboard can send all of those letters at the same time?
    http://www.gigahype.com/nkey-rollover-test-page/

So yeah that might be the issue, it seems to accept e + w + u which is my left crouch hp but not e + f + u. That is quite annoying, i'm gonna presume that the hitbox doesn't have this limitation!

Thanks for the reply.
  • KILLA_Nemesis_KILLA_Nemesis_ I'm nice until you make me mean. Joined: Posts: 46
    How long would it take for me to receive my HitBox? I ordered it Saturday and I'm pretty excited and impatient lol.
  • aj1701aj1701 Joined: Posts: 29
    So yeah that might be the issue, it seems to accept e + w + u which is my left crouch hp but not e + f + u. That is quite annoying, i'm gonna presume that the hitbox doesn't have this limitation!

Hitboxes won't have that problem. The issue is specific to keyboards; due to the number of buttons, its not practical to have each button register when pushed. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29

With game pads (and hitboxes), they are designed so that all the buttons can be pressed at once. Since there are far fewer, its easy to do.
  • Tickle BrisketTickle Brisket Joined: Posts: 72
    Won the multi-console off Ebay...omg i'm so excted to be S tier!!1 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.I supposed learning starting from the ground up? practicing mobility and normals..we'll see how it goes.
    Plagman, looking at the akishop site, it says "OSS (Open Source Software) for best possible community support (upgradable through USB). Date pending (more info soon)."

I guess I'll wait for them to release the info and just flash it with Async L+R SOCD
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was like this ever since the page came up; I suggest contacting them directly to inquire as to what the status is exactly. It would definitely be cool if you could do it directly without having to bother with any rewiring.
    I need some help guys!! i ordered and recieved my hitbox multiconsole.The problem is there seems to be a wiring defect because i have no "b" button since i play on xbox and i get stuck in menus because i can't back out is quite annoying in itself,but one of button seems to not work.What can i do to fix this?
  • Husser_BrianHusser_Brian Joined: Posts: 250
    Hi! Send us an e-mail if you haven't already at hitboxes@gmail.com and we'll help you out. Not sure how that would have happened. O_o We'll make sure that you're taken care of.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • KILLA_Nemesis_KILLA_Nemesis_ I'm nice until you make me mean. Joined: Posts: 46
    Just got mine a few days ago. I am very satisfied. I have been playing MK on it a lot lately. Cannot wait to expand my game with the HitBox. You guys make a very fine product. 10/10.
  • WindowsCWindowsC Joined: Posts: 6
    I'm interested in purchasing the PS3 model but the website says "SOLD OUT".

http://www.hitboxarcade.com/products/hit-box-ps3-pc

Does that mean we can't even pre-order it at this time?

EDIT: Nevermind, works now. Just ordered one, can't wait for it to arrive!
  • inControlinControl (Hit Box) Upa Joined: Posts: 287
    Hey guys Upa here,

been on a mild hiatus from posting on here got really busy with my career.

But I wanted to come here and say thank you to all of you that been supporting and inquiring and trying out and talking and other stuff that pertains to team hitbox. As you can tell the creators dustin and shawn have been just on a non-stop path of getting their pet project off the ground. And whatever you guys threw at them they never leave a single question unanswered. If you guys ever have any question pertaining to technique or anything let me know ill try to provide the best information that i can, i was once a beginner as well, so i know some of the trails and tribulations that can come with using a this kind of peripheral.

again thank you guys for everything and your continued support

Hitbox Upa
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 687
    What non-fighting games are best to play to get used to this so it doesn't feel so alien when you go back to fighting?
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    What non-fighting games are best to play to get used to this so it doesn't feel so alien when you go back to fighting?
    Shmups and beat em ups transition quite well. Also platformers are generally great since the only two movement directions you need are left and right.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • inControlinControl (Hit Box) Upa Joined: Posts: 287
    I really think that my background in playing mmo's like star wars and WoW really helped my adjustment period to be as short as possible to always think that the "jump button" as space bar, just kind of broke down alot of mental blocks.

playing Counter strike also help as well.
  • Slickrick_01Slickrick_01 Humble Warrior Joined: Posts: 28
    I Love that you guys did the vid for zero but can we get the magneto video now...and a tutorial on air wavedashing on the hitbox.
    I Love that you guys did the vid for zero but can we get the magneto video now...and a tutorial on air wavedashing on the hitbox.
    Here's a list of my tutorial notes:

KoF Half Circles / Tips
    UMvC3 Half Circles Revisited - SOCD Half Circle / Double-fingered Slide
    UMvC3 Air Wavedashing - [69] / [63] / [93] / (Maybe Even [46] and [6248] box for fun)
    UMvC3 SOCD DPM - Motion / Applications / Option Select
    UMvC3 Jump Cancels & Viper Seismo Spam / FADC

As for Interactive Tutorials, the next up are:
    Dante
    Virgil
    Zero May Cry Team Video

So air wave dash is in the works, but not Magneto. For him I'll have to pick him up since I don't know any Hit Box players who main him. That's a lot of confirms and various loops to go through so I'm not sure when I'll get the time. Doom is another one that I'll want to cover eventually... but that's a lot of swag to learn in my spare time. However, UMvC3 is our primary focus now, so you'll be seeing lots of video coverage on it.

Sorry I've been slacking on the content lately. I've got a lot ready to go, I just need to film it. We'll also be releasing player interviews from SCR on our FaceBook page and web site. :) I'll post the next batch here too.

@Deathfist Play Tetris on Hit Box! That or Beat Mania.
    Air Wave Dash Tutorial in a Nutshell
    - You will need to use your Right Thumb for this technique.
    Jump into fly mode, then then hold Forward.
    Hold:f:[:u:+:atk::atk:, :atk::atk:]
    So while you're holding Forward, hit Up+Dash to dash up-forward and cancel it with a second button dash. The coordination is really easy with your right thumb because you're just mashing dash and tapping Up every other time.

- If you want a zig-zag pattern you just hold down-forward and do the same thing to dash :uf::df::uf::df::uf::df:
    - For a downward approach from up high, alternate :df::f::df::f::df::f: to taste.

Basically you can wave dash as fast as you can mash :atk::atk: which is ridiculously fast.
    It's MUCH faster than plink dashing once you get the hang of it.
  • RaisinsRaisins Joined: Posts: 4
    Just ordered(#1544). Was sold after trying ssf4 on a keyboard recently and your SCR interviews. Pumped, thanks for making this a reality.

The site says shipping Feb, is this early or late Feb? :D
    Just ordered(#1544). Was sold after trying ssf4 on a keyboard recently and your SCR interviews. Pumped, thanks for making this a reality.

The site says shipping Feb, is this early or late Feb? :D
    We plan on receiving our parts by the end of this week. If our vendors hold up their end, we'll be building all weekend and shipping out pre-orders next week. It's not a hard date since I'm still waiting on others, but there's a good chance!

Welcome! Did you get a chance to go through all of our SF4 tech videos? Also, I put up a SSFIV thread with a pretty good shortcut guide to help get you all caught up. Our site has a good video index too for reference. Also, we're a good resource on SRK for questions and help and whatnot. ^_^
  • ShadowShel18ShadowShel18 Joined: Posts: 4
    I ordered one recently as well. I'm #1543 lol. Looked at some of the videos for the Hitbox out and it really convinced me to buy one. I mainly play Soul Calibur V and I'm looking forward to more videos for that, but I'm also trying to get into UMvC3, SSFIV, and Persona 4 Arena. Hopefully this helps me out a bit.
    #1537 here. I'm trying not to think about it as much as possible, but oh how I wish I had it right this instant! Just a few more weeks....
  • RaisinsRaisins Joined: Posts: 4
    We plan on receiving our parts by the end of this week. If our vendors hold up their end, we'll be building all weekend and shipping out pre-orders next week. It's not a hard date since I'm still waiting on others, but there's a good chance!

Welcome! Did you get a chance to go through all of our SF4 tech videos? Also, I put up a SSFIV thread with a pretty good shortcut guide to help get you all caught up. Our site has a good video index too for reference. Also, we're a good resource on SRK for questions and help and whatnot. ^_^

Awesome. Thanks for the prompt reply. Can't wait.

I am pretty sure, I watched all the videos you guys posted 10 times before bitting and buying the box. I've always had execution problems with some motions. And with my stick getting old loose and busted. Seemed like a good upgrade.
    #1537 here. I'm trying not to think about it as much as possible, but oh how I wish I had it right this instant! Just a few more weeks....

I know how it feels. It's well worth the wait :)
  • Shawn HufferShawn Huffer Joined: Posts: 34
    Just logging in to let everyone know that I'm fully prepped for each and every preorder. They will be completed as quickly as I can get them out for you guys.

Assuming I don't work myself to death, everyone should be happy very soon : )
  • Slickrick_01Slickrick_01 Humble Warrior Joined: Posts: 28
    Air Wave Dash Tutorial in a Nutshell
    - You will need to use your Right Thumb for this technique.
    Jump into fly mode, then then hold Forward.
    Hold:f:[:u:+:atk::atk:, :atk::atk:]
    So while you're holding Forward, hit Up+Dash to dash up-forward and cancel it with a second button dash. The coordination is really easy with your right thumb because you're just mashing dash and tapping Up every other time.

- If you want a zig-zag pattern you just hold down-forward and do the same thing to dash :uf::df::uf::df::uf::df:
    - For a downward approach from up high, alternate :df::f::df::f::df::f: to taste.

Basically you can wave dash as fast as you can mash :atk::atk: which is ridiculously fast.
    It's MUCH faster than plink dashing once you get the hang of it.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GLORYBE26ODGLORYBE26OD Joined: Posts: 445
    Looks like Hit Box is starting to add new users. Awsome.
  • jon_dojahjon_dojah Joined: Posts: 41
    Here's a cool shot of me using my Hitbox at SCR....its at 1:16. Also it was cool meeting Dustin. Sorry wasn't able to conduct the interview with you like planned. Saturday was mad hectic and Sunday alot of us got sick and we end up heading back home early. :(

Just logging in to let everyone know that I'm fully prepped for each and every preorder. They will be completed as quickly as I can get them out for you guys.

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

As someone who is just about completely new to fighters, I decided on this particular controller / peripheral / arcade stick (I don't know the correct terminology) because, coming from a PC gaming background, I found the layout to be very intuitive. Obviously I don't expect to suddenly turn into a fighting machine overnight once I receive my order, but I'm definitely looking forward to putting down my PS3 controller for this. In the meantime, I guess I'll watch more Hit Box videos to prepare myself!
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 687
    I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but when doing double qcf motions in games with no shortcuts or leniency, you can alter the command to reduce your workload with SOCDs by 1 stage.

Step 1:d,df,f
    -Self Explanatory
    Step 2: Without releasing the f, go b,db,d
    -This will be read by the machine as neutral, down, then df in a smooth motion
    Step 3:the moment the down is released since you're still holding towards, hit the button.

Once again in a different way, this is d, df, f, fb, fbd, df, f

The flaw in [d,df,f]x2 is the fact that you're holding down a command you need later, releasing it, and holding it down later. With this command you don't have to do that with towards.

Why is this important? The left ring finger is weaker and slower than the other 2 [index and ring since the pinkie isn't used], and becomes responsible for towards. when doing qcfx2 facing left. Its better to not move it if you don't have to as this will slow down your inputs.

With qcfx2, it's d,df,f, release all commands, d,df,f+button. It's 3 steps, while although what I listed above is listed as 3 steps, it really feels like 2.

I also did mention this earlier, but someone did tell us earlier about using SOCDs to clean up uppercut commands. F, FB, FBD, DF

One of the greatest gifts [and curses as well, but far more-so gifts] is the fact that you are given double or triple the commands that can be used to do the same move. If you are having problems with qcfx2, you go qcf, Hold towards at the end, qcd, then release down [all while holding towards], hit the button, and the same thing comes out. The only problem with that is figuring out when to use the altered commands, or the originals. It's less complicated than I'm making it sound.

Mentioned earlier, you can dp by going either f,n,d,df, OR f,bf,bfd,df [which is in essence hold forwards+ starting in the back position qcd+attack]

The QCD command is beginning to become far more important than in the past now, thanks to the Hitbox.

Perhaps I should get the RJ-45 to Dreamcast wire. so I can mess around with Juggernaut some more. Thoughts?
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • Short Swing BroShort Swing Bro Joined: Posts: 7
    Order in January, receive in February?

Not half bad, considering I've been waiting over a YEAR for my GiantSword, and there's no end in sight.

May just order a HitBox too (I love me some stick makers who actually understand the time value of money).
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    Order in January, receive in February?

Not half bad, considering I've been waiting over a YEAR for my GiantSword, and there's no end in sight.

May just order a HitBox too (I love me some stick makers who actually understand the time value of money).
    Would have gotten it sooner if we didn't run out of stock of our supplies. Normally our turnaround from order to reception is less than a week.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • Short Swing BroShort Swing Bro Joined: Posts: 7
    Would have gotten it sooner if we didn't run out of stock of our supplies. Normally our turnaround from order to reception is less than a week.

Very impressive. Definitely gonna look into acquiring one.
  • slowjamslowjam Joined: Posts: 3

Just made an account to say that your customer service so far has been awesome. I pre-ordered last week and have been eagerly awaiting my HitBox. I know how sometimes stuff like supply issues pop up, but you guys have been awesome in communicating what's going on. So far the customer service is superb. I hope you guys never lose that aspect of your business.
    Just made an account to say that your customer service so far has been awesome. I pre-ordered last week and have been eagerly awaiting my HitBox. I know how sometimes stuff like supply issues pop up, but you guys have been awesome in communicating what's going on. So far the customer service is superb. I hope you guys never lose that aspect of your business.
    Thank you very much! We try really hard to make it as easy on you guys as possible and help the best we can.

Also, FYI to everyone who pre-ordered, we received our parts yesterday and are shipping out a bunch today! We'll be building through the weekend so we can get everyone their Hit Boxes as soon as possible. We plan to have all the pre-orders shipped next week. :D
    Here's our latest upload of player interviews: Hit Box Upa; aka, inControl here on the threads.

Also here's the archive of last week's interviews that I forgot post here: Rochus and Hit Box Sora
    Spoiler:

It was really great getting to meet so many Hit Box players at SCR. I'm really looking forward to NCR so I can meet more of you guys. We'll be sure to bring the camera again so we can spotlight more proud Hit Boxers. That's you jon_doja! :)
    Thank you very much! We try really hard to make it as easy on you guys as possible and help the best we can.

Also, FYI to everyone who pre-ordered, we received our parts yesterday and are shipping out a bunch today! We'll be building through the weekend so we can get everyone their Hit Boxes as soon as possible. We plan to have all the pre-orders shipped next week. :D

YES just a few more days!
    Hey guys,I'm selling my multi-console offical Hitbox.It only has one hour of use on it.If you're interested lemme know.I've given up fighting games and don't need it anymore.
    I want a Hit box shirt.
    We're looking into getting a shirt pre-order off the ground soon if there's enough interest. Thanks for letting us know! People have been asking that question more and more, so it's looking like it's time to get things in motion.

Anyone else interested in a Hit Box shirt?
    I wanna represent the way of the future.
    Sellin' muh hitbox..multi-console,hour of use.200 including shipping.Get at me.