Hit Box - We so S Tier1!!

Comments

• DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    Its amazing how quickly I'm starting to get better with the hitbox now. DPs are still kinda slow and half circles are a pain but I finally found a way to execute half circles consistently.

Right now I'm trying out viper stuff in SF4, anyone got any tips? I can't figure out how to do instant superjump burnkicks to hit people throwing fireballs. Viper actually seems like she might be harder on hitbox than stick, although everything seems like it would be fine with practice besides these burnkicks I can't get.
  • krisimboredkrisimbored Joined: Posts: 47
    For Vipers IA Burn kicks I do QCB, then hold forward, (I kept hitting kick before the game recognized I hit forward), then use my right thumb on up (after making sure I had forward held) and whatever kick I felt like pressing. My problem before practice was going too fast so pausing for a moment on forward before you do up and kick made sure I didn't just neutral jump burn kick. Hope this helps you get it down.
  • TrekK1TrekK1 Joined: Posts: 4
    Can anyone here help me with a conundrum? I am trying to make a hitbox from an After Glow 360 wired controller PCB and cannot find an annotated PCB diagram so I am at a loss with where to start. any help?
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    TrekK1 wrote: »
    Can anyone here help me with a conundrum? I am trying to make a hitbox from an After Glow 360 wired controller PCB and cannot find an annotated PCB diagram so I am at a loss with where to start. any help?

Probably belongs in the button controller thread. This thread is specifically for the Hit Box brand controller.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • ORESAMAORESAMA Joined: Posts: 7
    Hitbox just shipped so I've been practicing on my keyboard to get an idea of what I'm getting into, and so far it's been a fairly easy transition. I'm sure I will have to get used to the wider spacing and whatnot, but my brain isn't as confused as I thought it'd be when transitioning from stick for movement. I'll post my impressions once I get it and spend some time in some games, but I'm really excited.
  • TrekK1TrekK1 Joined: Posts: 4
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    TrekK1 wrote: »

Probably belongs in the button controller thread. This thread is specifically for the Hit Box brand controller.

Thanks for the redirect!
  • ResslessRessless Joined: Posts: 27
    Hey, i just wanted to know, if there are problems of the button size? Because o hitbox all buttons 24mm size (except the jump button, he is 30mm). And when a normal Stick player goes from 30mm button's to smaller would there be a big difference, like slipping with fingers on command- input or something else in this direction?

I mean i dont have problems to play on a PC keyboard, but there is the base of the buttons solid on the ground and not on my knees.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,331
    Ressless wrote: »
    Hey, i just wanted to know, if there are problems of the button size? Because o hitbox all buttons 24mm size (except the jump button, he is 30mm). And when a normal Stick player goes from 30mm button's to smaller would there be a big difference, like slipping with fingers on command- input or something else in this direction?

I mean i dont have problems to play on a PC keyboard, but there is the base of the buttons solid on the ground and not on my knees.

The idea was that if the other buttons was 24mm, and the Junp/Up button was 30, you can orientate your hands/fingers by tactile touch.
    This was also to give the official HitBox a very recognizable appearance.

On the physical/mechanical end of things there no issues other than the 24mm buttons have less surface area.
    Meaning they will play exactly the same (if you get used to it).
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • WafflePiesWafflePies Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey, I've been using a custom hitbox made from a TE stick and recently I got an official hitbox from the huffers. I've been having some difficulty adjusting to the SOCD on the PS360+ and was wondering if there was any way to disable it. I assume the SOCD on the PS360+ is firmware controlled so I should be able to program it off? All versions of the firmware seem to have SOCD and I don't understand the firmware hex coding. Has anyone done this already or know how it is possible?

To clarify I am looking to press my directional buttons simultaneously, not have my Left + Right be Neutral.

I know SOCD is generally considered ideal for inputs, but I have played for years without even knowing of its existence. The transition feels more like a hindrance to me.
  • Drake AldanDrake Aldan It's a doggy dog world. Joined: Posts: 390
    Sent an email to hitboxes@gmail.com a while back. No reply (yet).

Here's the message in its entirety:
    I have a universal (PS360+) version Hit Box. I've had it since late December (so about 6 months). It's been serving me well and I do not think I could play something like Street Fighter without it. (Little things like never going to up-forward when performing quarter-circle forward motions are very helpful with new characters like Poison who cannot special-cancel their pre-jump frames.)

Recently I've had a strange thing happen to me while playing on PS3. Occasionally, the message

The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to the USB devices has been reached. Please remove at least one device.

will pop up.

Normally, this comes after moving the Hit Box with it still plugged in (or otherwise having the cable disturbed). Jiggling the cable gets it to go away, usually.

It hasn't seemed to disrupt my normal play (it's never popped up during a match)- but should I be concerned?

I recently went to CEO and had no problems playing on the Xbox 360s there, though I may have jostled my Hit Box while walking along with my stick bag (and having it be in the Orlando heat, and in the trunks of various cars)...

I did not have this issue before CEO.

Should this warrant opening up the Hit Box and taking a look inside?
    Speaking of which, how exactly do I do this? I don't want to be manhandling my Hit Box until I know how I should be going about things.
    Any thoughts? I had some trouble getting my inputs to work on startup today and had to unplug/plug in again to get things to work.

Speaking of the PS360+... These results are kind of disturbing, but I suppose I'll just live with it... Dual mod comes with a price, I guess...
    WafflePies wrote: »
    To clarify I am looking to press my directional buttons simultaneously, not have my Left + Right be Neutral.
    Is this tournament legal?

It was my understanding that Hit Box is permitted because of SOCD cancelling.
    Moving forward... 30 matches at a time.
  • deaded by pandadeaded by panda Joined: Posts: 306
    So, any word on the replacement top plexis? I have one that is pretty scratched to hell and would love to replace it with a clear one...
    i suck at video games
    edited July 2014
    Ressless wrote: »

No, I immediately found the smaller buttons to be much more comfortable. I have fat fingers and it didn't decrease my accuracy or anything. It's also wayyy better than a keyboard. It doesn't move around at all while I play, I play on my knees. Being able to use your right thumb on the jump button is very very helpful for KoF and super jump/TK stuff.

Also cute Kingu avatar :)
    So after having it for a few days I can definitely say I love using my Hitbox, but I am having an incredibly hard time doing any kind of 720. I've watched the videos on Youtube and for whatever reason just cannot figure out the timing, and was wondering if anyone had any tips or anything to make it easier. Other than that I've been progressing pretty well, and I'm starting to experiment with characters that I wasn't too fond of on stick. As someone who primary plays charge characters it felt really weird at first, but now I really enjoy playing them on the Hitbox.

I ordered HBFS buttons to replace all of the face buttons and will test those out as soon as I get them. I have an old mechanical with Browns that I plan on swapping out the Reds with if I feel they're too sensitive.
    All I can say is practice, very mindfully. It took me like 14 hours of practice mode to get using and combing with P2 side half circles...
    Okay cool, I was just worried that I was missing something simple. I've basically been living in training mode with Gief most of the time I'm on SF4 because I just want to figure this out before I move on, but I can definitely say 360s started out weird and are now second nature, so hopefully that's the case with 720s.
  • krisimboredkrisimbored Joined: Posts: 47
    You will love the HBSF buttons on it, I replaced my movement buttons with blue's because the sanwa's went off to much by accident, because I like to rest my fingers on the buttons. Word of advice it's REALLY hard to get the switches out without almost breaking the plastic.
  • WafflePiesWafflePies Joined: Posts: 2
    ORESAMA wrote: »
    Okay cool, I was just worried that I was missing something simple. I've basically been living in training mode with Gief most of the time I'm on SF4 because I just want to figure this out before I move on, but I can definitely say 360s started out weird and are now second nature, so hopefully that's the case with 720s.

There are some interesting shortcuts specifically for SF4. For gief SPD I know that you can input 6428 or mirrored. It's intended origins were for D-pad players, although I don't really see how. I'm sure if you explore some button combinations you can find something that feels more natural even for 720. Perhaps utilizing the SOCD in conjunction with the shortcuts will yield some nifty inputs.
  • SilentBobSilentBob Joined: Posts: 34
    Dusting off the old account just to post here. I've been playing on stick for quite a long time and still today I can't consistently do quick 2xQCR, half circles or 360s, I honestly stop myself from learning any grappler because of this, and moving the joystick around makes the whole thing wiggle and it can throw me off. I've tried a few different joysticks and gates, but nothing really helped me in the long run. Overall it put such a huge stall on my progress that it just made me want to give up on getting better and for the past year I've just played casually with friends from time to time. I recently switched jobs and my office is currently having a USF4 tournament so just the thrill of competition and playing a bunch of different people twice a day brought the love back and now I just want to get back to getting better at Third Strike and learning KoFXIII, but I still hate using the damn stick and I can't play pad.

I know I rambled there, but I was watching Evo this weekend and it suddenly hit me. I remember all the talk about the Hit Box layout quite a long time ago, but never really paid much attention to it and now I realize that for most of my life I've been playing fighting games on keyboard. Yes I was a young and naive pirate, but it was the only way for me to play arcade games back then other than driving for 8 hours to the closest arcade. Not only did I play on keyboard, but I also play a few string instruments so my finger dexterity is far, far superior to my joystick moving dexterity.

So I decided to research the Hit Box and not only do I see they have their official sticks, but they're really badass and huge. So overall what I want to say is that I'm now really, really interested in one of these bad boys, except I do have a few questions. I'm sorry if my questions have been asked before, but this thread is 60 pages long and I'm not a very patient man.

1. Hows the modding on these? I'm looking at the pictures, but I don't seem to see any screws on it. Personally, I'm thinking about trying it with Cherry MX buttons to have that sweet mechanical keyboard feedback.

2. On this page, assuming my comment will appear on the 60th, I'm seeing a few people mentioning issues with the PS360+ on PC. Is it common with that PCB? Last thing I want to do is drop that much money on a product and have it be faulty.

3. How's the weight on it? Personally, the heavier it is, the better it is.

This post has been longer than I expected, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    edited July 2014
    SilentBob wrote: »

1. Hows the modding on these? I'm looking at the pictures, but I don't seem to see any screws on it. Personally, I'm thinking about trying it with Cherry MX buttons to have that sweet mechanical keyboard feedback.

2. On this page, assuming my comment will appear on the 60th, I'm seeing a few people mentioning issues with the PS360+ on PC. Is it common with that PCB? Last thing I want to do is drop that much money on a product and have it be faulty.

3. How's the weight on it? Personally, the heavier it is, the better it is.

This post has been longer than I expected, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. The screws are a combination of black hex screws and screws integrated inside the rubber feet of the "stick" for a cleaner look. So it is definitely "openable".

2. I got mine a little before Christmas 2013, it's the kind with the PS360+ inside. Have had no issues with it on PC; Recognition by Windows, Configuring, and Gameplay are all trouble free. I also have a "traditional stick" with the PS360+ inside, have been using it since May 2014, and no issues to report there either. P.S. I just run ZSNES on my crappy PC.

3. As far as weight goes, I haven't weighed mine, but comparing it to other sticks I have:

It's heavier that a Hori T6

tekken6_arcade_stick_ps3_1.jpg

And lighter that an DC Agetec

agetec.jpg

Hope that helps :- D

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Anyone update their Hitbox for use on PS4 yet?
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    Hey thanks for the help. That definitely answers my questions. Also speaking of PS4, the fact that the PCB can actually be updated to work on the PS4 is a huge selling point for me. Especially considering I would have had to buy a new stick anyway.
  • Drake AldanDrake Aldan It's a doggy dog world. Joined: Posts: 390
    SilentBob wrote: »
    Also speaking of PS4, the fact that the PCB can actually be updated to work on the PS4 is a huge selling point for me. Especially considering I would have had to buy a new stick anyway.
    That may or may not be true for the future.
    PS4 Breakdown:
    When we announced PS4 capabilities, it was because we got the firmware communicating with the system perfectly, with all inputs being reported including menu and in game commands. However, the PS4 currently utilizes a periodic authentication over the wireless channel that, currently as a wired peripheral, we cannot bypass. This authentication occurs slowly, and only after a period of 8 minutes will it stop receiving commands from the controller, requiring a re-plug into the system. The night we announced, we saw things working, but the 8 minutes was never reached during initial testing so we did not see the issue until after announcing. This was a mistake on our part, mostly because we, just as you, were excited as the prospect of new system compatibility with existing hardware. We got excited and announced too soon. The beta testers saw this issue while giving feedback, and unfortunately we have exhausted our options and will need to come up with a new plan moving forward. We apologize for any inconvenience and the delay in this statement, but we will be looking at new avenues to approach the issue at hand to hopefully allow this compatibility in the near future either through direct firmware update or through hardware expansion. Please feel free to use the current firmware as is, any feedback while using it is appreciated.
    So... 8 minutes only. Kaio-ken, anyone?
    Moving forward... 30 matches at a time.
  • Iron4vengerIron4venger Joined: Posts: 7
    What if they make the pbc to insta-reboot after 7:59, so its always connected?
    I spent 10min (well 8) playing Injustice on my PS4 after upgrading last night and it definitely works great, but the timeout is indeed real. I'm just going to hold out hope that some solution will be found before Xrd comes out, especially since between now and then there's not much of a reason to have PS4 support.

So I spent more time training with Zangief last night and can Siberian a more often than not, but still can't really UAB. I'm wondering/hoping if the different buttons will help me feel out more.
    Well considering the fact it is currently working and the PCB is upgradeable, one can only assume that the timeout problem is temporary and eventually there will be a fix for the problem. It might take a while though considering it could require to reverse engineer the DS4 code.
    @SilentBob, the hitbox is not huge, it's actually a pretty nice compact size, although it still sits well on my wide lap.

Also getting a hitbox will not make you instantly better. You need to put the work into learning your motions all over again.
  • Will GentryWill Gentry Joined: Posts: 90
    Not sure if it has been asked recently, but is their an update on when we might get a next gen hitbox annoucement?
    @DayManMasterOfKarate I actually tried playing AE using my keyboard a few days ago before researching into the Hit Box. While the positioning of the jump button was awkward at first and will require some getting used to, dashing, FADC and just combos in general felt so much more natural to me than on joystick. Hell I was able to consistently land Cody combos that I could never do before. All of this within my first 20 minutes. The only thing that bothered me was using the keypad as my punch/kick buttons because of how small the buttons are and them being in a straight line so I kept hitting the wrong buttons around the keypad. Doing the motions themselves is no big problem to me. Playing bass got me used to moving my fingers around quickly and independently from each other.
  • CaganCagan Joined: Posts: 397
    I would be interested to see someone get far in a major tourney with a hit box. I didn't see a single one on the Evo stream.
    Cagan wrote: »
    I would be interested to see someone get far in a major tourney with a hit box. I didn't see a single one on the Evo stream.

Then you didn't watch the stream in its entirety because our very own HB|Buttons was on stream and made it all the way to tying for 17th in UMvC3, just barely missing out on top 16. Next year he'll get it for sure though!

As for a next gen Hit Box announcement, you have to understand that Hit Box is a small company. We will get next gen support when a commercial PCB is available. Until then the best solution is a pad hack. Support your local modders!
    So I've been having this weird thing the past few days. My left hand seems to have somehow lost speed or range of motion, my motions aren't as fast as they were when i started and I really have to force myself to quickly and cleanly do things like 2 quarter circles. Any advice?
  • XuenjingXuenjing Joined: Posts: 84
    So I've been having this weird thing the past few days. My left hand seems to have somehow lost speed or range of motion, my motions aren't as fast as they were when i started and I really have to force myself to quickly and cleanly do things like 2 quarter circles. Any advice?

Could be due to any number of things. If you've been playing religiously for a few weeks I suggest taking a couple days off. Otherwise I'd just brush it of as having a bad day.
  • RoviRovi Joined: Posts: 33
    Does anyone have the dimensions for the Hitbox so I can make art for it?
    I play Yang
    XBL: Its Rovi
    edited July 2014
    Alright, so I spent last night playing training mode after installing HBFS-24s on the face of the Hitbox, and I actually love the stock Red switches a lot more than I thought I would. I figured out the timing to better do a jumping 720, and was able to get out only one dashing, but I'm making progress!

Anyways, I definitely recommend the Gamerfinger buttons as an alternative to Sanwa, which I've never been a fan of on any of my sticks, and it almost feels like they were made for the Hitbox. It would be great if that became an option when ordering from the Hitbox site, but I have no idea what the supply/production is like for those things.
    It would be great if that became an option when ordering from the Hitbox site, but I have no idea what the supply/production is like for those things.

I've got a set myself and I push everyone on team Hit Box to play on my Hit Box because I love those buttons, but slow production time and $5 a pop isn't going to work out. It would drive up the cost of a Hit Box by another $30 easy at least.
  • Will GentryWill Gentry Joined: Posts: 90
    Cagan wrote: »

Then you didn't watch the stream in its entirety because our very own HB|Buttons was on stream and made it all the way to tying for 17th in UMvC3, just barely missing out on top 16. Next year he'll get it for sure though!

As for a next gen Hit Box announcement, you have to understand that Hit Box is a small company. We will get next gen support when a commercial PCB is available. Until then the best solution is a pad hack. Support your local modders!

Thanks for the update John. really appreciate it
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,276
    It would be great if that became an option when ordering from the Hitbox site, but I have no idea what the supply/production is like for those things.

I've got a set myself and I push everyone on team Hit Box to play on my Hit Box because I love those buttons, but slow production time and $5 a pop isn't going to work out. It would drive up the cost of a Hit Box by another $30 easy at least.

Maybe just stock the Gamerfinger buttons rather than offering a HSBF specific hitbox model.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    What makes gamefinger buttons different? I remember when I switched from a madcatz brawlstick to sanwa buttons and it felt a lot different.

Yeah I figured as much. Another option could be a pre-wired case with no buttons. I know I would have gotten that if I had the option since I knew I was replacing the buttons anyways, and it doesn't require Hit Box to stock other buttons.

Anyways, I definitely think other people should check HBFS-24s out. I'm actually curious if anyone has tried any Seimitsu buttons for movement and what kind of results they were getting.
    edited July 2014
    What makes gamefinger buttons different? I remember when I switched from a madcatz brawlstick to sanwa buttons and it felt a lot different.

I don't know if you've ever used a mechanical keyboard, but the GamerFinger buttons use the Cherry MX switches that most mechanical keyboards use. The great thing about mechanical keyboards is that each button feels less "sticky" due to the spring inside each switch and depending on the type of switch you use, you get tactile feedback when the switch registers the input. These two things make mechanical keyboards far, far more efficient for typists and is a proven fact that it increases your number of words typed per minute, or actions per minute if you're a gamer, drastically because you don't need to bottom out each key to know you've registered the input. This can be a benefit in arcade buttons because if you can feel the input without pressing the button down completely, you're not wasting any finger movement and the spring tension gives more "weight" to each button so you release it much faster.