Hit Box - We so S Tier1!!

Comments

• CaganCagan Joined: Posts: 397
    But the keyboard can't do SODC. That's kind of the whole fun part of the hitbox and what gives it that uniqueness, right?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,719 mod
    The fact that your posts are getting WTF replies from respected Tech Talk members should probably indicate that that you need to check your posting style.
    Cagan wrote: »
    But the keyboard can't do SODC. That's kind of the whole fun part of the hitbox and what gives it that uniqueness, right?
    Don't be stupid. The HitBox cannot do SOCDs and John, Brian and everyone else behind it have taken great efforts to make sure that they don't to keep them tournament legal.

You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Sorry, I meant the other way around. Don't know what I'm talking about. What I mean is that the keyboard just goes in one direction if you hold both, where as the hitbox has the neutral. That's what I meant.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,358
    I've been really interested in trying a Hit Box but I don't want to shell out the money without being reasonably sure I'll like it. I'm pretty happy with my stick but I'd like to experience other control options as well. Is playing on a keyboard a good way to gauge the experience? Any recommendations for keybinds to get the closest feel?
    Somewhere earlier in the thread the Hit Box Crew admit they play a instrument or have some musical talent. Some people who are used to keyboard play on the PC also admit they get some success with the hit box. Someone with good dexterity in there fingers and hands would do well.

“Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,278
    Sorry, I meant the other way around. Don't know what I'm talking about. What I mean is that the keyboard just goes in one direction if you hold both, where as the hitbox has the neutral. That's what I meant.
    For the Hitbox left + right = neutral while Up + Down = Up. For a keyboard I'm not sure how that's handled. Do both inputs get read? Perhaps the last input takes priority. Maybe specific input takes priority. Don't know. Don't really care. What I am fairly confident in stating is that it won't matter. Most games have (at least recent ones) have some level of SOCD protection built in (my best guess would be to manage charge characters properly; no walking forward while holding a back charge) with the only game that comes to mind where the developer really fucked up in this regard being 'Vanilla' Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (left + right = both).
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    edited August 2014
    I've tried SF4 with keyboard. Whichever input is hit most recently will be used. It basically disregards that the previous input exists at all. On hitbox you can use that neutral for easy dashes and FDAC's. You can do Guiles ultra 1 by holding both back + forward then releasing and pressing the forward button twice (+ attack). Hell there's a ton more stuff that you can use that quick neutral for. On keyboard you don't get that neutral at all. I would have to hold back, then hit forward, back, forward attack It seems much easier on hitbox.
  • pBunpBun Joined: Posts: 6
    Shawn Huffer does not seem to be replying to my emails anymore. I sent him money on June 24th for a case / plexi and he forgot to meet up with me at Evo and seems to consistently forget to reply to my emails / send the parts. I've sent him two emails in the past two weeks and have not heard anything back. Don't really know what else I can do and am pretty disappointed with Shawn and the hit box team :(
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    pBun wrote: »
    Shawn Huffer does not seem to be replying to my emails anymore. I sent him money on June 24th for a case / plexi and he forgot to meet up with me at Evo and seems to consistently forget to reply to my emails / send the parts. I've sent him two emails in the past two weeks and have not heard anything back. Don't really know what else I can do and am pretty disappointed with Shawn and the hit box team :(

I understand your frustration and hate to see this kind of thing happen, but you have to understand that there are basically two guys who handle the emails as well as order parts and build boxes, and we've been busy with extra things lately. It's an unfortunate turn of events and I do apologize.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • Dreaded FistDreaded Fist Joined: Posts: 1,920
    Sorry if this has been answered. Are there two different sizes for this? It looks like what's being currently offered is bigger than what I've seen in some reviews.
    http://img.youtube.com/vi/0VClLTCxB7s/0.jpg

An early model maybe?
    www.phongworks.com
    Sorry if this has been answered. Are there two different sizes for this? It looks like what's being currently offered is bigger than what I've seen in some reviews.
    http://img.youtube.com/vi/0VClLTCxB7s/0.jpg

An early model maybe?

Yep, the original metal cases came in a size of about 12"x6", something like that. People complained about not having enough room to rest their wrists on so we made it 16"x7" for more resting space.

The smaller cases came in different thicknesses too. We had one model that we got down to 2" thick. We made it fatter later.
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461

It's more like, SOCD allows the hitbox to function in a way similar to an arcade stick, making it easier to use. Again, the situations where you use it to your advantage are more limited, and seem to mostly come up in advanced movement techniques.

It's more like, SOCD allows the hitbox to function in a way similar to an arcade stick, making it easier to use. Again, the situations where you use it to your advantage are more limited, and seem to mostly come up in advanced movement techniques.

Watching videos of cammy divekicking without even (seemingly) leaving the ground makes me think that the hitbox can do things that a stick cant. Is that the case? Conversely, what can a stick do that a hitbox cant?
  • pBunpBun Joined: Posts: 6
    edited August 2014
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    pBun wrote: »

I understand your frustration and hate to see this kind of thing happen, but you have to understand that there are basically two guys who handle the emails as well as order parts and build boxes, and we've been busy with extra things lately. It's an unfortunate turn of events and I do apologize.

I completely understand that you guys are swamped, but Shawn told me that everything had been packaged up and that he just needed to send it off. You guys have an amazing product and Shawn is great, it just seems like this keeps slipping through the cracks.

Screen of our lengthy email chain:
    http://i.imgur.com/xOheYb4.jpg
  • krisimboredkrisimbored Joined: Posts: 47

Watching videos of cammy divekicking without even (seemingly) leaving the ground makes me think that the hitbox can do things that a stick cant. Is that the case? Conversely, what can a stick do that a hitbox cant?

Actually you can do that on a stick pretty easily. Just do QCB then continue on to up+back and two kicks for ex dive kick. Same thing on a HitBox.
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,278

Actually you can do that on a stick pretty easily. Just do QCB then continue on to up+back and two kicks for ex dive kick. Same thing on a HitBox.
    I personally find that sort of thing easier on stick. Now, to explain further, I do play on a Hitbox and I can do instant air ___________ fairly easily on said Hitbox it's just that doing instant air __________ rapidly in sequence is something I have trouble with. On stick though, EX IA Cannon Strike x4 > U1 for USFIV Cammy is easy as fuck and a complete waste of meter. IMO "mashing it out" is slightly easier on stick.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • uemihmuemihm Joined: Posts: 1
    SUGATA wrote: »

Question 1: what is the full list of differencies between PS3/PC and PS360+ models?
    I noticed only:
    1) Akishop Customs PS360+ PCB (SOCD Firmware Controlled)
    - its like a motherboard, so didnot notice visually.

2) Rubber Feet for Support and Stability
    - what is it (plastic bottom with rubber surface)?
    - is it ONLY PS360+ feature, so what bottom in PC/PS3?

Are any more differences between both models?

Question 2:
    what are VISUAL differences between two models?
    can someone answer this guys questions? i would like to know as well. i know it's from 2 years ago but i couldn't find any answers in this thread :/

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,974
    yep its time i get hitbox. I need something that reduces input and allows me to react faster.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    Well too be honest, some things I find are faster on stick as far as reaction to input time. I find it easier to buffer qcf or dp a few times in a row on stick. If you do them unbuffered it could be faster on hitbox though.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,358
    Well too be honest, some things I find are faster on stick as far as reaction to input time. I find it easier to buffer qcf or dp a few times in a row on stick. If you do them unbuffered it could be faster on hitbox though.

It really depends where your dexterity skills are developed and how can you conceptualized your hand-eye movements for game play.
    Someone who plays guitar or Piano or is a typist could prefer the All-button layout of a controller like the Hit box.
    Some one who grew up with the arcades, drive a stick shift or have skills/tasks that use larger arm movements would be more likely to better off with a stick.

Conceptualizing or making a mental image how your directional movements would work would be key until you have the actions down as muscle memory.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • KingRaohKingRaoh I build gauge Joined: Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Haven't and not going to read through the whole thread anytime soon.

What is the best way to do a true 360 motion... 1,2,3,6,9,8,7,6 on the hitbox? Going to have one soon and this seems like it's going to be the most challenging motion for me. Looking forward to experimenting with a hitbox! Thanks!
    5% Set-up, 5% Execution, 90% Turtle
    "3s...not as clumsy or random as a masher. An elegent game, for a more civilized age."
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi-
    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    Very precisely with presses, not sliding. There's no shortcut, you just need to practice it.
  • AstarteAstarte Are You L@dy? Joined: Posts: 42
    My hitbox is starting to disconnect like crazy if I twist the wire...where can I get a new one?
  • Drake AldanDrake Aldan It's a doggy dog world. Joined: Posts: 390
    Astarte wrote: »
    My hitbox is starting to disconnect like crazy if I twist the wire...where can I get a new one?
    Any old USB A Male to B Male cable will do. Steal somebody's printer cable or just go buy one, I suppose.

You need a 2mm hex key/Allen wrench to open up the center screws on the back. Twist off the rubber feet and open her up.

Take a hairdryer or heat gun and heat up the glue on the connection, then remove it with a... razor blade, or a paper towel or... something, I don't know. Take out and throw away the old cable, keep the velcro strap because it's very convenient, and put in the new cable.

(The connection is not very snug, the board makers at akishop should look into this maybe?)

You can tie a knot for stress relief and/or glue the new cable back in, I... didn't do either of these things 'cause I didn't want things to be permanent in case I had to do it again... Tension on the cable looked like it wasn't going anywhere anyway for me.

Plug it in, test it out, then close it back up.

I replaced the hex key screws with thumbscrews so I could switch out abroad if I need to. They are #6-32 threads.
    Moving forward... 30 matches at a time.
    Astarte wrote: »

I and others have had the same issue with these cables. Also I'd recommend switching to something under 15 feet since cables that long may cause issues in the future.
    After a few months hitbox feels like its starting to work with me instead of against me (with single quarter circles at least)

Also no tendonitis as of yet!

I was wondering, if I took off the plexi, is the art a piece of paper I can just take out and replace? And if I took the paper and plexi off, would I have just that nice black matte painted metal like the bottom of the hitbox?

Now that I know I'm going to be sticking with this controller I think I might wanna but some custom anime babe art or some such shit on it.
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Although I've retired from competition, I occasionally use it on the PC. Can you make a list of forced console mode selects for the Akishop PS360+ model so you can bypass the console auto-detection?
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • MTHoptonMTHopton Only killed a guy that one time Joined: Posts: 121
    edited September 2014
    @Deathfist‌
    http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus/PS360SoftwareOverview.pdf

This pdf has what you want. Google is your friend.
    Post edited by MTHopton on
    PSN: Hoppersaysweeeee Steam: MTHopton
    GGXrd: Potemkin/Haehyun, SFV: Birdie
    Any suggestions on a bag that could hold a hitbox and a ps3 safely? Maybe I should look for a small duffel bag instead of a backpack.
  • chickenthr33chickenthr33 Joined: Posts: 1
    Hi, looking to possibly order a hitbox and had a question. The FAQ says "It is unconfirmed if current Hit Boxes will function on PlayStation 4".

PS4 been out for a while now, surely somebody must've confirmed whether it works or not by now? If not, will there be an upgraded PCB that one could buy to make it work on PS4? I don't want to spend all this money when it won't work on current consoles if I upgrade.
    Hi, looking to possibly order a hitbox and had a question. The FAQ says "It is unconfirmed if current Hit Boxes will function on PlayStation 4".

PS4 been out for a while now, surely somebody must've confirmed whether it works or not by now? If not, will there be an upgraded PCB that one could buy to make it work on PS4? I don't want to spend all this money when it won't work on current consoles if I upgrade.

Hit Box uses the PS360+ for multiconsole, which if you check Akishop's website will tell you that PS4 on the latest beta firmware works for 8 minutes at a time. That is of course undesirable, unfortunately current situations are such that there is no commercially available PCB that works on the PS4 completely. New console production is at a stand still until a PCB for the console exists.
  • everythingWasBeeseverythingWasBees Full of questions Joined: Posts: 159
    The What Stick Should I Buy thread mentioned that the PCBs in the Hitbox are glued down rather well, as well as covered in hot glue. Is this still the case? What's the reasoning behind this?
    The What Stick Should I Buy thread mentioned that the PCBs in the Hitbox are glued down rather well, as well as covered in hot glue. Is this still the case? What's the reasoning behind this?

We stopped doing that like 2 years ago.
  • The_Witch_DrThe_Witch_Dr Joined: Posts: 5
    Am I missing something? Or is my hitbox defective...

I just installed USF4 on PC. Tried to use the hitbox but can't. It doesn't even register as being connected.

Am I missing drivers? Am I not setting it up correctly? I thought it was plug and play.

Any help would be great! Thanks.
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,194
    The real question is what pcb are you using inside the hitbox, is it powered and are all connections from it in tact...
  • The_Witch_DrThe_Witch_Dr Joined: Posts: 5
    I don't know the pcb. How do I find out?

The hitbox work perfectly on PS3.
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,141

The original metal cut you guys sent me tragically had a 4 inch wide dollop of contact cement, immortalizing the Cthulu it shipped with. Sitting in a box somewhere right now, though I could probably separate the thing if I really wanted to... Haha.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
    Krackatoa wrote: »

The original metal cut you guys sent me tragically had a 4 inch wide dollop of contact cement, immortalizing the Cthulu it shipped with. Sitting in a box somewhere right now, though I could probably separate the thing if I really wanted to... Haha.

I mean on the plus side, that thing won't ever come loose and the contact cement did a great job of preventing shorts.
  • TwinRuehlTwinRuehl Joined: Posts: 11
    edited December 2014
    Hey guys, I placed an order through your website on Sunday evening (12/7). I then sent an e-mail last night requesting white buttons (for the four movement buttons) and red buttons (for the eight action buttons). I'm not sure if it was already too late to make this request or not so please let me know! If so, that is fine! I'd totally understand. Thank you.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my Hit Box. I am planning on using it for Tekken... so hopefully it isn't too difficult for this fighting series! :smile:

Edit: Thanks for the e-mail Shawn!
    Post edited by TwinRuehl on
    I'm not good at tekken, but a hitbox helped lower the skill ceiling when it came to movement. There's actually a way to get EWGF to come out every time on player 1 side by pressing the punch and the forward with the same hand.