Yang Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,146
    I feel it has a much worse hitbox plus the range. It's also a tad slower than Fei's with 1 more startup and recovery.

That said it's a major part in some matchups though. It outranges most probaly all his normals with that forward momentum.
  • JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 771
    If you look at the hit-boxes they're far better than Fei's. It's just that lp mantis is so short it's useless as a poke and they're a frame slower. HP mantis is closer to Fei's LP Rekka in range but you have to space it well since it's -6. If you spaced it perfectly you can go into LP mantis on the second hit and it leaves you pretty far and at -5.
    Steam: Julpero
    Psn: julpro

SFV: Dhalsieeeem
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,296
    i agree hp is the only one worth poking with. but the total frame count is really high. 39 frames total. 30 on recovery and you can empty cancel into lp if you miss. but its risky as far as pokes go. his roundhouse is a pretty slow button, but its still faster than hp rekka by 8 frames
  • VizerVizer Joined: Posts: 13
    I see, thanks for the Yang insights!
  • GnW101GnW101 Joined: Posts: 41
    is there anyway to time the fake cross up/cross up divekick set up after a lp rekka in the corner
  • KlunkerKlunker w00t Joined: Posts: 105
    Does Yang have an os against people who backdash on wakeup? IE Yun's crlk into lp punch.
    SF5 - Raaashhidoo, Vega, Fang
    Hitbox ftw
  • HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 766
    OS sweep
    Well I was thinking of something more along the lines of not on jump in. Anything like that? Or is that os just lk to delayed sweep?
    Hitbox ftw
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    In the new game, you can just do s.LP or c.LP into s.MP. The game will account for the distance and correct accordingly. I haven't had a chance to test it out against someone like say Rose, but it makes sense in theory.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,918
    cr.LP is chainable thus you can still do a cr.HK OS.

If you feel the need to use cr.LK you might as well just buffer LP Rekka off your cr.LK...or just do the rekka anyway.

Though you might be able to do something similar to Sagat's cr.LK ~ st.HP, cr.LK OS (does anybody still use that?)
    yeee boy time to be the worst i ever was...ONCE MORE!
    15Mbps upload isn't enough for SFV sometimes I guess? Or Comcast hates me. I dunno, sorry if stuff happens.
    cr.LP is chainable thus you can still do a cr.HK OS.

If you feel the need to use cr.LK you might as well just buffer LP Rekka off your cr.LK...or just do the rekka anyway.

Though you might be able to do something similar to Sagat's cr.LK ~ st.HP, cr.LK OS (does anybody still use that?)

yeah, yang can do it too. and bonchan uses it w/sagat but with sweep instead of crhp
  • TheKillerKiwiTheKillerKiwi Joined: Posts: 256
    Anyone just see nemo dominate everyone he faced at northwest majors?

He makes yangs matchups look free.
    Yun player since AE.
  • LayzzeyLayzzey Joined: Posts: 229
    I know. Even when he was losing some matches, he never gave up and just made some really good reads and capitalized. His pressure was relentless..he got hit a bunch of times..didn't get phased and continued to go in.
    His Yang had to work VERY hard for any good damage, but he knows the character so well it didn't even matter he was down in life in certain matches. Crazy good Yang player. Still one of my favs.
  • gsxtacygsxtacy Killa Cam Joined: Posts: 1,552
    Layzzey wrote: »
    I know. Even when he was losing some matches, he never gave up and just made some really good reads and capitalized. His pressure was relentless..he got hit a bunch of times..didn't get phased and continued to go in.
    His Yang had to work VERY hard for any good damage, but he knows the character so well it didn't even matter he was down in life in certain matches. Crazy good Yang player. Still one of my favs.

Nemos Yang is one of the best, but I feel he gets away with a lot of shit because
    1. Hes Nemo
    2. People dont know Yangs mixups

Also listening to the commentators when he played that rufus was just the worst
    TVG: "Cammy is top tier and fuck you fuck you fuck you.

I hate the bitch. "
    I really don't like Nemo's playstyle...but it's always good to see yang repped up there.
  • JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 771
    Can anyone point me to the Nemo matches?
    Steam: Julpero
    Psn: julpro

SFV: Dhalsieeeem
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
    otori wrote: »
    I really don't like Nemo's playstyle...but it's always good to see yang repped up there.

he goes HAM. and so many resets.

still plays like AE. not like 2012

• onemiconemic FGC scrub Joined: Posts: 460
    edited May 2014
    Yun player here interested in switching to yang. Is yang more footsie based that yun? The main thing I dislike about yun is the fact that you're encouraged to jump a lot, which is bad for me considering my ground game is weak and I really want to have solid footsies. Is yang similar in this regard, in how your encouraged to constantly jump and dk or is his do simply an extra option he has and can get through an entire match not jumping during neutral if he wanted, without being at a huge disadvantage like yun? How are his normals compared to yun?

• KINGBROZENKINGBROZEN Sleepypants Joined: Posts: 202
    Yang is indeed more footsie oriented, Yang has a stubby main poke(Cr. MK) but it's balanced by our ability to get safe and great hitconfirms off of it, and having the highest tier forward walkspeed mitigates the short range. The divekick comes into to play as a way to build respect for us moving in, if somebody is using a low poke too freely that gives you grief, you remind them that you have a divekick.
  • MCZAlucardMCZAlucard Joined: Posts: 93
    otori wrote: »

Yea...me too.. too much resets.. i like Kyoku's Yang the most,i think he is the best out there..
    When is LK dive kick used? How viable is it? I feel like the only time it hits is when it's too high. And even then, it doesn't cause enough hitstun to follow up with.

The only way I can see it being used is corner crossups (which again, it doesn't seem to have enough hitstun to be useful), or after a CL. MK jump over.

Any advice?
    Hitbox ftw
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    what are the typical mantis strings people do to keep pressure (safely)?
    When i watch Shine play on their weekly streams he usually has a really good method of keeping pressure by alternating his mantis strings to stay close enough to do another cr.mk xx mantis frame trap.

Usually when i dick around on yang i'm doing it entirely wrong and end up leaving myself out of range to do a follow up cr.mk etc.
  • xtensivextensive Joined: Posts: 19
    so I just stated playing around with Yang and was wondering, is it better do to FADC combos with lp rekkas or hp?
  • cclccl Joined: Posts: 25
    HP rekka give you more frame advantage on FADC
  • DustlooperDustlooper Jab FADC Joined: Posts: 988
    All pressure strings are not going to be safe from Yang. LP rekka is -2 on block, so unless you're hitting, you're unsafe. However, you can use it as a frame trap. Frame traps, as said, aren't necessarily safe. They can reversal in between the gap, so you have to predict if you're baiting out a normal, or if you're baiting out a DP. To bait out the normal, you're probably trying to catch a crouch tech. Players aren't going to respect you enough to crouch tech unless you give them a reason to. So, you have to throw in a tick-throw game before you even consider that. You have great normals on block (s.lp is +4 on block, cl.mp is +4 on block, cr.lp is +3 on block), and you have good mix-up off the forward throw (pause, jump, dive kick to hit front, j.mk to hit behind). So, you should threaten it. That's before even considering how good you command throw is. You have easy set-ups for it (ex rekka x2, ex command grab works on block or hit; rekka, mp rekka fadc command grab works on block or hit), and leads to good knockdowns or resets, so you should be playing for that.

But, for the sake of your question, your frame-traps are going to look something like cr.lp, cl.mp, cr.mk xx lp rekka and cr.lp, cl.mk, cr.lk/mk xx lp rekka. Or simply just a single normal (s.lk xx rekka, s.lk xx rekka, cr.mk xx rekka). Each rekka will push you away, there's no question about that. So you have a couple of ways to reset the distance. You could hp rekka, hp rekka, fadc and go into a block string. You could go into a command grab set-up like I explained. You could stop your strings early and do something like cr.lp, cl.mk JC dive kick to be point blank again. You could simply just walk up if they're afraid enough. You could even just back off. Yang has a pretty strong DP, and you can stand right outside their normal range. If they whiff something like a shoto cr.mk, you can catch it with a s.lk OS rekka or cr.mk OS rekka to regain positioning. Or, you can just wait for them to jump. Yang's lk dp is strong enough and at a good enough angle to challenge most jump-outs. If they do a poor one, you can anti-air with cl.mk for a big punish (i.e, cl.mk, mp palm, s.hp reset).

A lot of it is realizing you're -2 after a blocked LP rekka. So regardless of your next move, it's a frame-trap. LP rekka, s.lk, for example, is a 6f frame gap. It's pretty large, so a lot of it is momentum based. Some of it is spacing based, too. You can hit the tip of LP rekka, LP rekka and be slightly out of the range of a shoto's cr.mk. If you think they're going to counterpoke, you can hit an easy s.lk OS rekka.

It takes some time, it really does. Once you get familiar with Yang's normals and the pushback of his rekkas, pressure comes easier. I promise.
    Klunker wrote: »
    When is LK dive kick used? How viable is it? I feel like the only time it hits is when it's too high. And even then, it doesn't cause enough hitstun to follow up with.

The only way I can see it being used is corner crossups (which again, it doesn't seem to have enough hitstun to be useful), or after a CL. MK jump over.

Any advice?

Like I said in the prior post, you can use lk dk when you're close to an opponent and putting on corner pressure. A pressure string like cr.lp, cl.mk JC lk dive kick lands you immediately in front of them. This lets you go into another blockstring, a tick throw set-up, or a command grab. You can also do the standard forward throw/roll kick set-up (j.mk to cross up, dive kick to hit in front) with lk as an option to land in front of to go for the options I said earlier.

There is some corner cross-up. If you do a rekka combo in the corner and end with lp rekka, immediately jump lk dk, you cross-up with enough hit stun to connect with cr.lk. Plink it.
  • ScrubMcGeeScrubMcGee Joined: Posts: 62
    I'm still having trouble with HP rekkas FADC U1 on a stick, if I'm on the player one side.
    Having to input the double QCF by bending the wrist forward is twice as hard as doing the motion to the left (backwards)

Usually FADC ultra combos are not a problem for me but on Yang the window is too tiny
  • KINGBROZENKINGBROZEN Sleepypants Joined: Posts: 202
    Are you doing the dash manually with the double forward input, or getting it with QCFs? I find with just doing QCFs I get it very consistently and easy on pad, thought it might be easier on pad.
    KINGBROZEN wrote: »
    Are you doing the dash manually with the double forward input, or getting it with QCFs? I find with just doing QCFs I get it very consistently and easy on pad, thought it might be easier on pad.

I do a quick regular dash. On P2 side I can do it, if I really focus on doing it quick as possible, maybe I really should try to get the shortcut down.

• WarioManWarioMan Time to Taunt! Joined: Posts: 404
    Hey guys, I've been a day 1 Fuerte main, but I'm thinking about picking up Yang in Ultra. Are you guys happy with the changes he's gotten, and do you think he'll be solid?
    UMvC3: Viewtiful Joe / Morrigan / Doom // USF4: El Fuerte // UNIEL: Carmine
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    edited May 2014
    WarioMan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been a day 1 Fuerte main, but I'm thinking about picking up Yang in Ultra. Are you guys happy with the changes he's gotten, and do you think he'll be solid?

The one thing he lacks is comeback potential because his combos do less than desirable damage without resets.

Also today I got to play with Kyoku in Shinjuku, and I saw quite a bit of his other matches. He is really prioritizing damage over mix-up with yang now. 8/10 times he burnt meter, it was for corner carry via double s.mk or for FADC from mp palm.
    edited May 2014
    At UFGT I kept seeing Chris G do Hp rekka, FADC, cl.mk, j.DK, roll kicks/command dash. What is the point of doing this combo other than style? doesn't it do far less dmg than just doing dash, cl.mk, mk roll kick and not only that is much harder to land and doesnt corner carry as much?

onemic wrote: »
    At UFGT I kept seeing Chris G do Hp rekka, FADC, cl.mk, j.DK, roll kicks/command dash. What is the point of doing this combo other than style? doesn't it do far less dmg than just doing dash, cl.mk, mk roll kick and not only that is much harder to land and doesnt corner carry as much?

it works on everyone..the dash cl.mk doesnt

I hate the bitch. "
    oh, who does the dash cl.mk not work on?

onemic wrote: »
    oh, who does the dash cl.mk not work on?
    I forget off the top of my head...dudley and some others i believe

I hate the bitch. "
    It should work better in ultra shouldn't it? One of the buffs was Cl.mk hitting further down so I was thinking it would connect more in that juggle
    I think it was extended downwards only, because it whiffs on juri, chunli, blanka, etc
    Im pretty positive it doesnt work on elena...then again nothing does

I hate the bitch. "
    edited May 2014
    How much frame disadvantage is Yang after FADCing two blocked HP rekkas?
    Or what is the safest FADC strength after I have been blocked?
  • DustlooperDustlooper Jab FADC Joined: Posts: 988
    ScrubMcGee wrote: »
    How much frame disadvantage is Yang after FADCing two blocked HP rekkas?
    Or what is the safest FADC strength after I have been blocked?

Around +4 on block. Without looking at EX rekkas, 2nd HP is your strongest advantage.
    Yeah he's +4 on second HP fadc. +1 if you FADC last hit.

IIRC you're 0 with mp rekka and negativa with lp.