Yang Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• justdoitjustdoit Joined: Posts: 8
    USF4: Yang, Rose, Makoto
    SFA2&3: Sodom, Rose, Charlie
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,098
    Like everything yang has, it has shitty hitbox.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,457
    The difference is minimal between Ryu and Yang. All Yang has to do is make contact with his foot. It's not hard.

People seriously make big deals out of nothing.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • GnW101GnW101 Joined: Posts: 41
    Does yang have any unblockables with sei enbu?
    No the shadows don't hit neither low nor high, so it's impossible to set up unblockables with it.

I have been unable to find any unblockables with yang so far, at best you can get a fake crossup.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,918
    edited October 2014
    As long as j.MK can crossup it's not impossible. Though if you're looking for unblockables mid Super, the shadows won't help (unless there is another wake up glitch like Vega/Ibuki I guess)
    yeee boy time to be the worst i ever was...ONCE MORE!
    15Mbps upload isn't enough for SFV sometimes I guess? Or Comcast hates me. I dunno, sorry if stuff happens.
    Never said it was impossible, rather that I have been unable to.
  • dmcaxledmcaxle Joined: Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    Is there any information for the spacing you need on each character to hit his crossup mk on wake-up after a grab? Roll kick? Though I admit the roll most of the time has perfect setup where you can just jump. But on the grab sometimes it's just a dash distance after a grab, sometimes you need a dash and a step, etc. I can check myself later, it just would be great if the info is already out there.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,212
    Is it just me or does the timing for the different mantis slashes change depending on what normal you're cancelling out of? I must be going nuts.
  • TheRealHalfBloodPrinceTheRealHalfBloodPrince Joined: Posts: 77
    What can I do against Cammy? I feel like as soon as I get knocked down, it's all downhill from here. That 50/50 kills me each time.
  • markr155markr155 Joined: Posts: 21
    Ex run the jump left/right mixup
    (AU) Steam: yangr155, twitter @yangrrr
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Sea horses FOREVA Joined: Posts: 5,518
    What is Yang's best anti air?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    LK Rollkick, try to hit it as deep as possible. Most of his air normals are extremely good for air to air, hk, mp, hp for example. Other anti airs include cl.mk, U1, cl.hp, st.mk, st.hk/hp.
  • flame1626flame1626 Joined: Posts: 52
    edited November 2014
    how do u guys control which side the j.hp reset lands on? I've been testing it in training mode and it almost always crosses under. even when it does stay on the same side my cl.mp is facing the wrong way :(
  • IslandBoyIslandBoy Joined: Posts: 267
    edited November 2014
    flame1626 wrote: »
    how do u guys control which side the j.hp reset lands on? I've been testing it in training mode and it almost always crosses under. even when it does stay on the same side my cl.mp is facing the wrong way :(

You need to be crouching after your dash when they're coming down from the air reset. Some weird hitbox collision thing occurs and that's why it works. You'll see most people that end up on the same side start with a cr. jab or cr. short for this reason.
    SFV: (Main) Vega (Alternates) Ken, Chun-Li
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Storm/Hawkeye (If I ever play this game again...)
    KOFXIV: I WANT THIS GAAAMMEE
  • Waffles775Waffles775 Joined: Posts: 74
    should I be doing frametraps with yang?
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstien
    TTT2: Drag/anyone else
    UMvC3: Nova/Doom/Akuma
    SC5: aPatroklos
    SF3 3S: Makoto
    USFIV:E.Ryu, Dudley
  • Cows say meeeowCows say meeeow Joined: Posts: 454
    edited November 2014
    Should be doing frametraps in general if you see them doing shit you can catch them with imo. Especially since Yang has rekkas which are good for frametraps

Few ones I know of are:

- Rekkas of course (second rekka should be light for Frametraps so you have the least recovery.)
    - st.lp, cl.st.mp (1 frame)
    - cr.lp, cl.st.mp (2 frame)
    - cr.lk, cr.mk (5 frame)
    - cr.lk, cr.lk (2 frame)
    - cl.s.mp, cr.mk (7 frame for s.mp, cr.mk and 2 for cl.mp, cr.mk)
    - s.lp, cl.mk (3 frame)
    - s.lp, cr.mk (2 frame)
    - cl.mp, st.mp (2 frame)

Still a newbie though so yea lol
    GT- Cows say meeeow

Steam ID- Cows_say_meeeow
    edited December 2014
    How do you go about anti airing crossups? I find lk dp not always reliable, so i've moved onto cl.mk/mk to anti air now, but cl.mk very rarely beats crossups so i'm kinda forced to block them. Lk dp at certain ranges will whiff completely and i just lose the game. I only use lk dp if i'm 100% sure it will hit. Also if i try to autocorrect dp to anti air crossups with df d db d df d db ( corner to corner on the stick) i get command grab half the time because of the shortcut.
  • ArchontArchont Joined: Posts: 12
    u r right, cl.mk and lk dp are not reliable and very situational. i use bj.fp or nj.mp, both work very well.
    since j.rh is so good at air to air I would assume jump back rh would be good. not too sure though.
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstien
    I always hear people say U2 for fireball characters, but is it actually useful? Or is it just used for the intimidation factor, having the opponent know that it's a possibility to be blown up for throwing a careless fireball? And how good is Cody as a secondary?
    edited December 2014
    Cody does a lot better against the big bodies like Hugo, Gief, Hawk, and Honda.
  • FakeSteveFakeSteve Mayhem Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 2,499

at 00:50, what the heck is this? What's Zhi talking about?

Mago does a close mk on Hugo's wakeup which stuffs his EX backbreaker (think EX Rainbow Ball, that sort of situation). Zhi says it's "an option select, there's a throw built in there", however from what I know about the engine that doesn't make sense.

If you input a standing throw with any other normal (in this case close mk), the standing throw supercedes everything else, and you get a throw. If Mago did stand throw OS close MK as is alleged... doesn't that break the rule? I can only think of two ways to input what he said:

stand lp+lk~OS mk: this would give you a standing throw, which would whiff. Doesn't happen in the video.
    stand mk kara lp+lk: this would cancel the startup frames of close mk (if it's kara-cancellable, I don't actually know. I'm not really a Yang player, trying to figure this out for a buddy) into throw, which should again result in a standing throw.

Same deal with his command throw, I can't think of any possible way to option select this.

With everything we know about option selects, this shouldn't be possible. So there's two conclusions: Zhi is wrong and Mago really just meatied that guy with close mk, which is what I think happened. Or, there's something fishy going on that I can't see, and maybe you guys can explain it to me :)

Cheers, thanks!
    HOT DOG KING
    mago obviously knows if hugo tries to ex bb out of the corner it's beat by cl.mk... commentators say things incorrectly in the moment, take it with a grain of salt
    I want to try and use a basic Yang, here's my gameplan so far:

-AA with LK SRK (whatever that kick is called)
    -Poke with cr. mk xx LP mantis, also punish with it
    -Frame trap with cr. jab into st. mp xx LP mantis
    -Dive kick into cr. lk - cr.lk - cr.lk xx LP mantis
    -Standard hit-confirm of cr. jab x 2, st. jab, cr. mk xx LP mantis
    -First hit of EX mantis slash into throw and command grab mix-ups

I'm going to avoid his resets for now and focus strictly on fundamentals. Am I missing anything?
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    edited December 2014
    Norieaga wrote: »
    Am I missing anything?

Learn to utilize his s.LK It's actually quite good.
    edited December 2014
    against sakura is there anything special I should be doing? I noticed s.lk being particularly good when playing footsies. but this feels like such a hard match, making a mistake can lead to half your life gone. c.mk xx shouoken does like 25% health. do I just have to play very solid?
  • KlunkerKlunker w00t Joined: Posts: 105
    I know ultra 1 has invul frames. Does anyone know how many?

Also, does the sf4 engine do some type of risk logic during wake up. For example, decapre does psycho sphere after throw. If ultra 1 has invul on wake-up, shouldn't it come out regardless of a hitbox over me? But sometimes the ultra doesn't come out and I get hit/block instead. Any input? Maybe an @Eternal‌ question.
    SF5 - Raaashhidoo, Vega, Fang
    Hitbox ftw
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    Klunker wrote: »
    I know ultra 1 has invul frames. Does anyone know how many?

Also, does the sf4 engine do some type of risk logic during wake up. For example, decapre does psycho sphere after throw. If ultra 1 has invul on wake-up, shouldn't it come out regardless of a hitbox over me? But sometimes the ultra doesn't come out and I get hit/block instead. Any input? Maybe an @Eternal‌ question.

U1 is invincible 1-9F according to the wiki. Just a timing thing I think. Might not be inputting it at the right frames.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • KlunkerKlunker w00t Joined: Posts: 105
    edited December 2014
    Waffles775 wrote: »
    against sakura is there anything special I should be doing? I noticed s.lk being particularly good when playing footsies. but this feels like such a hard match, making a mistake can lead to half your life gone. c.mk xx shouoken does like 25% health. do I just have to play very solid?

She does very well on the ground and crhp is a great anti air. The best thing to do in this matchup is try to watch what footsie pattern they go for. If they're fishing for crmk into Srk or sthk, do jump lk dive kick to get the whiff.

If they're looking tatsu to get in, block and backdash to get out. It's really a patient match.

Test them a few times with dive kicks to get in. Make sure they are goin to anti air you every time. She breaks under pressure so it only wakes getting in once.
    SF5 - Raaashhidoo, Vega, Fang
    Hitbox ftw
  • FearTheFuhajinFearTheFuhajin Just a casual Joined: Posts: 209
    I'm having problems doing 3 cr.short into rekkas, any tips?
    Playstation Network: TaiteFGC
    Steam ID: TaiteFGC

UMVC3 Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye (RIP MAHVEL)
    SFV Juri (Character Crisis atm though)
    GGXrd Faust

I wish I could change my username...
    Check out this guide created by myself and the boys over at the Sakura thread (RIP USF4): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eeIc5GM3waM3fYhz2UefmD9gznynb56yeMFD16MYLhQ/pub
    edited January 2015
    Its supposed to be cr.lk xx cr.lk > cr.lk xx rekka. Meaning the first 2 can be chained but the last one has to be linked. Just delay the 3rd cr.lk a little more than the first 2 if you are chaining them. Plinking them with lp also helps as well. The rest is just practice practice practice.
    EDIT: Turns out cr.lk doesnt chain ...my bad
    Post edited by flame1626 on
  • G_KarneG_Karne Joined: Posts: 10
    You can't chain cr.lk. The only tip is to use the lk.lp p-link
  • DokiVioDokiVio Joined: Posts: 37
    edited January 2015
    Hello Community,

I've been trying to perform this corner combo a few times. Here's a clip on youtube of the combo

Could anyone give me in-depth info on how to perform the HK roll after the mp palm? Thank you
    Post edited by DokiVio on
    edited January 2015
    F, QCF, hold F and wait, HK.

Get used to doing this by itself so get a feel for the delay.

Then start doing it just as Yang recovers from MP Palm.

There are other ways to do it, but this was simplest for me.

• DokiVioDokiVio Joined: Posts: 37
    Wasted wrote: »
    F, QCF, hold F and wait, HK.

Get used to doing this by itself so get a feel for the delay.

Then start doing it just as Yang recovers from MP Palm.

There are other ways to do it, but this was simplest for me.

Yesh! I can do it now, just need more practice (:

Is there an advantage of doing the HK roll instead of the mk roll? is it worth the extra like 8dmg?
    More damage, yes. You can also follow up with EX rollkick for a little bit more. It makes that combo decently beefy for one bar.

Oki is also better on hk rollkicks knockdown. You get automatic safejump
  • YWM8YWM8 Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm trying to get this "safejump" from hk.senkyutai to work. I can't seem to get it right.

1. The crossup mk whiffs. So I need to delay manually? Because right now i'm just holding up forwards.
    2. How many frames safe is this safejump? 4? 5?
    USF4: Yang
    SFxT: Vega x Lei
    Skullgirls: Big Band

You're supposed to neutral jump. It's a 5 frame safejump. Video credit goes to ranix, he posted a lot of good stuff a couple months back that you can find on his channel.

You can also get the same safe jump by doing cl.mk, dash, cl.mk, dash, hk rollkicks (dashes are important to get the correct height on hk rollkicks).

If they don't quick rise, you can do s.mp and neutral jump again for another 5 frame safejump.

Or vs most characters if you jump forward mk you get a fake crossup (if they quick rise this crossup usually whiffs except vs ibuki. VS ibuki you get a fake crossup both on quickrise and no quickrise but she can escape with command dash).

• NoodlesNoodles Joined: Posts: 27
    Hi all. Been a Boxer main for about a year. I think i'm compentent enough with him so next step now is to find a secondary character. I'm debating on choosing Yang, a character who I've played in the past and in my opinion, can handle some of Boxer's tougher matchups. Thoughts?
    edited February 2015
    how does the backdash cr.lp os u2 work? I understand how cr.lp os u1 because you chain cr.lp and s.lp so it overwrites the 3 punch buttons if it hits/is blocked but cr.lp doesn't chain with s.lk, so wouldn't you get s.hk if they don't backdash?

Where i saw it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFontvLdgM#t=3m6s

After testing it out in training mode s.lk comes out instead of s.hk o.0 why is that? the srk wiki says lk cant chain. does that just mean it can't chain itself but cr.lp can chain into it?
    Post edited by flame1626 on
    I feel like negative edge is a serious problem for playing yang... Its so easy to get something you were not even doing.

Does anyone else get blown up by negative edge while playing yang?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 689
    I used to get command dash after cr.mk, rekka when I first started with Yang. It doesn't happen anymore because I've trained my hands to do it properly. Every once in a while it happens in lag though.

Sometimes I'll get command grab instead of DP if my opponent tries a cross-up, but I don't think that's a negative edge issue.
  • IslandBoyIslandBoy Joined: Posts: 267
    edited February 2015
    Quick question y'all. I know this has probably been touched on before but what exactly do you do against characters that cl. mk, divekick, cl. mk, heavy rollkick doesn't work? I was fighting an Adon and it was never working for the life of me :(
    SFV: (Main) Vega (Alternates) Ken, Chun-Li
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Storm/Hawkeye (If I ever play this game again...)
    KOFXIV: I WANT THIS GAAAMMEE
    edited February 2015
    i just tested it in training mode, it definitely works on adon. clmk dash clmk hk dp doesnt but divekick does. As far as i know, clmk divekick clmk is universal.
  • bryarkbryark Joined: Posts: 31
    I feel like negative edge is a serious problem for playing yang... Its so easy to get something you were not even doing.

Does anyone else get blown up by negative edge while playing yang?

were you recently posting on /r/sf4 with the same issue?

cuz i recently discussed this same thing with someone there

unfortunately my answer to is is the same as my answer to them, that has never once been a problem for me in the four years i've been playing yang
  • Cows say meeeowCows say meeeow Joined: Posts: 454
    Used to be a problem for me. I just had to let go of mk faster than i used to and I was good
    GT- Cows say meeeow

Steam ID- Cows_say_meeeow
    I'll sometimes get dash instead of the rekka, very rare though. I generally hold cr. mk down while cancelling into the rekka, or just tap cr. mk very quickly.
    No I don't post on reddit
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro