Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Yang Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• manlyheartmanlyheart Joined: Posts: 13
    edited July 2014
    cl.mk step ultra is really easy. I see it doesnt work on all characters (Cody, Honda) so ill continue to practice the others. Ive noticed in this "rekka rekka qcf focus forward 3p" I activate negative edge that finishes the special. thanks again man.
  • RygRyg Joined: Posts: 146
    Dunno for you but 2nd hp rekka FADC tenshin saved me so much time, seems like nobody knows that you can fadc on block, its ridiculous.
  • Ignorance_and_IIgnorance_and_I Joined: Posts: 3
    Does anybody have advice for jump canceling cl.s forward into divekicks? Can't seem to figure out the height restrictions so I can't time it right. (-_-)
  • BlasthellBlasthell Joined: Posts: 3
    risemix wrote: »
    Hello, I've started learning Yang. I'm posting this here with a bit of a progress report, and to ask a few questions.

I've got some of his BnBs down. I really struggle with rekka motions, which is probably weird to a lot of you (just 3 fireballs, lol) but I find that I panic and mash them out. It's taking a lot of discipline to keep that instinct in check.

I'm using c.LP, s.LP, c.MK x L.Rekka if they're blocking and H.Rekka if I know it hit. I prefer to use this combo even to check if they're blocking, until they start to uppercut through it or whatever, then if I want to go for something to check for crouching I'll start using low short more. If there's something here I'm missing please by all means tell me.

I'm really struggling to combo after rekkas. The inputs don't seem that hard, but the timing seems super strict. So what is the frame advantage after Rekka 2 FADC? Do the different rekkas have different frame advantage after FADC? For example is it better to use H.Rekka FADC over M or L?

thanks in advance.

Regarding your rekka combos, you need to time the qcf inputs correctly. There's a kind of rhythm to it actually, making the combo especially satisfying to execute once you get the timing down. (that's what I feel anyways) naturally if u get flustered, you'll drop it. So keep practicing!

As for your choice of rekkas on fadc, I think only heavy rekkas can be cancelled on hit to combo into other moves. I doubt other versions can on hit (not entirely sure about mp.rekkas). On block, I think all versions can be fadc'd to set up mixups like grabs or frame traps. Keep in mind though that the timing for the fadc can be very strict. You have to get your rekkas to come out consistently first. The fadc has to be inputted immediately after the second qcf.hp is in. You can't wait for the second rekka to show on screen to fadc, it's too late and your opponent will be able to block. So it's kind of a input+fadc wayy in advance before the second rekka comes out. Savvy?

• Cows say meeeowCows say meeeow Joined: Posts: 454
    How are you guys fighting Evil Ryu? I'm new to Yang/sf4 (I only have 59 hours) so I sort of suck in general already
    GT- Cows say meeeow

Steam ID- Cows_say_meeeow
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    Can anyone see if Yang can teleport during Rufus' messiah kick mix-up? Is it safe?
  • AhChangAhChang PSN : ah_chang Joined: Posts: 130
    Does anybody have advice for jump canceling cl.s forward into divekicks? Can't seem to figure out the height restrictions so I can't time it right. (-_-)

Once u see Yang's head touch the health bar and u can do the divekick
    PSN : Ah_Chang
    Steam : Sprintertrueno83

USF4 : Yang, Guy
    SF5 : Nash, Fang

From Singapore !
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,272
    Ryg wrote: »
    Dunno for you but 2nd hp rekka FADC tenshin saved me so much time, seems like nobody knows that you can fadc on block, its ridiculous.

You're +4 on block, it's a very legit mixup.
  • RoviRovi Joined: Posts: 33
    How are you guys fighting Evil Ryu? I'm new to Yang/sf4 (I only have 59 hours) so I sort of suck in general already
    Don't do anything that's incredibly unsafe in hope of scoring a little bit more damage. Evil Ryu's strength lies in his damage - if you whiff an up-kick, or some other shit, he's going to get that full 4 billion damage punish. With Yangs health, that's no bueno. So no trying to psychic upkick those fireballs. Be patient, play with your normals. If he tries that low forward>hadoken garbage you can neutral jump dive kick on top of it (fireball won't come out since it whiffed), stuff it with your s.lk, or hop kick right over and get in his face.

Also, never say you suck. You're the best. Always.
    I play Yang
    XBL: Its Rovi
  • Her0 of Tim3Her0 of Tim3 Kono shobu moratta! Joined: Posts: 986
    East wrote: »
    Can anyone see if Yang can teleport during Rufus' messiah kick mix-up? Is it safe?

I got you. I'll test it when I get off work.
    CFN: Mikaul SFV: Ryu/Juri KI: Sadira/Jago
  • sicilianplyrsicilianplyr Joined: Posts: 1
    Whats the best way to go about the guile and blanka match up with yang?
  • onemiconemic FGC scrub Joined: Posts: 460
    edited July 2014
    What matchups would you guys say Yang loses?

Also, can you use Yangs rekkas like fei's in neutral?
    Post edited by onemic on

• HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 937
    Gief, Hawk, Honda, Hugo, Balrog for sure.
    You can use it in neutral, but only fish with the lp. version - it's the only safe one. Or you can spend a meter and smack em with dat gold finger.
    I play Yang

You can only avoid the overhead. The low and the mid (delayed) get you before the invulnerability frames start. If they don't delay the mid it's a real block string, but punishable.
  • OSDOSD Joined: Posts: 441
    Gief, Hawk, Honda, Hugo, Balrog for sure.
    I'd swap Balrog for Rufus.
    He has a button for every angle you come at him. Getting in range with your pokes will get you in his divekick range aswell, so that doesnt work too well either. Although maybe with the new f.mp that could've changed. Haven't faced a good Rufus in Ultra yet. But that match was hell in 2012.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,592

You can only avoid the overhead. The low and the mid (delayed) get you before the invulnerability frames start. If they don't delay the mid it's a real block string, but punishable.

Aren't they all beaten by Yang's DP or Ultra 1 though?
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Wasted wrote: »

Aren't they all beaten by Yang's DP or Ultra 1 though?

I will go through and test out how to beat them. I know U1 loses to delayed up kick.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 11,004
    dp loses to delay lk followup also
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    I think U1 also loses to the HK follow up. Might just be with U1 as a reversal.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
    Does Yang have any frame traps that will stuff someone trying to mash srk through my shit? I only know of his cr.lp > cl.s.mp > c.mk frame trap, but that doesn't stop shoryukens.

Halp
    I play Yang
  • gsxtacygsxtacy Killa Cam Joined: Posts: 1,552
    Rovi wrote: »
    Does Yang have any frame traps that will stuff someone trying to mash srk through my shit? I only know of his cr.lp > cl.s.mp > c.mk frame trap, but that doesn't stop shoryukens.

Halp

frametraps dont stop invincible things. blocking does.
    TVG: "Cammy is top tier and fuck you fuck you fuck you.

I hate the bitch. "
    I actually like MP palm for frame traps on some characters that don't have a good punish for it. Like I knock down a Ryu, see he doesn't tech his fall, I shimmy like I'm gonna go for a jab or throw, but then step back and MP palm. It's great against DP and tatsu. Makes shotos think twice about just getting out of the corner. ticks into MP palm is a good option too when you want to give a person just enough breathing room to do something they habitually rely on for defense.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,592
    edited July 2014
    DP beats Palm due to invincibility.

MP Palm is -7 on block, as well.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,918
    edited July 2014
    A spaced MP Palm can trade with or beat DPs. Depends on the character and which DP they used. A spaced MP Palm is also difficult to punish in some MUs on block as there is a lot of pushback.
    Though it really doesn't help against mashers without character tailored setups.

The pushback is really nuts. I remember trying to come up with meaty MP Palm combos and I basically couldn't against most characters because they'd be farther than Yang's cr.MK/U1 could reach (...worked against Cammy though!)
    Post edited by The Breaker on
    yeee boy time to be the worst i ever was...ONCE MORE!
    15Mbps upload isn't enough for SFV sometimes I guess? Or Comcast hates me. I dunno, sorry if stuff happens.
    Some pretty low level questions

1) if a player keeps using focus attack and charge to lvl 1 in my face, what's the best way to blow that up? Maybe mk.roll?

2) how do I AA with lk.roll effectively? People jump in on me and when I do get a DP in it usually trades

3) I can do the cr.lk links pretty consistently but I can't get the lp rekka to come out quick enough. I guess just practice?

GT- Cows say meeeow

1) if a player keeps using focus attack and charge to lvl 1 in my face, what's the best way to blow that up? Maybe mk.roll?
    Rekkas to blow it up. As soon as you see the focus, low forward/st. Strong/ st. Jab xx rekka. Level ones don't charge so if they're just throwing that out, you can typically punish the dash follow up.
    2) how do I AA with lk.roll effectively? People jump in on me and when I do get a DP in it usually trades
    Deep dragon punches, his lk dp works well, but the deeper, the better
    3) I can do the cr.lk links pretty consistently but I can't get the lp rekka to come out quick enough. I guess just practice?
    Link all the cr. Lk and the last lk is canceled right away.

I don't understand why people still focus vs yang lol. It's actually quite funny.

Though I've been hit by red focus about 3-4 times, panicked and mashed the rest of my rekkas. Didn't end well.

Rekkas to blow it up. As soon as you see the focus, low forward/st. Strong/ st. Jab xx rekka. Level ones don't charge so if they're just throwing that out, you can typically punish the dash follow up.
    Ah gotcha. What if they keep charging, same deal I guess?

And I still can't get the Rekkas after the links. I'll plink the 3 cr.lk and then do Rekkas too late. Thoug I can do it if it's one cr.lk then Rekkas for some reason easily.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep practicing it
    GT- Cows say meeeow

• KrahuschlukKrahuschluk Joined: Posts: 8

Ah gotcha. What if they keep charging, same deal I guess?

And I still can't get the Rekkas after the links. I'll plink the 3 cr.lk and then do Rekkas too late. Thoug I can do it if it's one cr.lk then Rekkas for some reason easily.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep practicing it

It helped me to practise using a visual cue. Aim the next button input (rekka lp or hp after the qcf in this case) at when you see the hit marker. As Her0 said, it's pretty much right away.
    Same thing works for the c.lk, practise getting it as early as possible to get it consistent.

Rest is just practise and muscle memory
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 11,004
    otori wrote: »
    I don't understand why people still focus vs yang lol. It's actually quite funny.

Though I've been hit by red focus about 3-4 times, panicked and mashed the rest of my rekkas. Didn't end well.

i get hit by the ones that go over lows, like elena, sakura, etc

my reflex is still to go to low forward. gotta train myself to do stand mp into slashes instead

I'm about to put out a video on how to deal with common situations in SF4 with Yang. Wait for it.
  • Ghost ic0nGhost ic0n Real Life too Stronk Joined: Posts: 265
    I'm about to put out a video on how to deal with common situations in SF4 with Yang. Wait for it.

Yes! Like, how to deal with charge chars please. D:
    GGXRD : I-no | BBCP : Bullet | KOF XIII : King\K'\Shen | SFV : Cammy | USF4 : Yang/Cammy | SFxT v2013 : Cammy X Steve
    TTT2 : Nina\Steve Fox | Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle : Jonathan Joestar | Injustice Gods Among Us : Cat Woman
    Steam ID: Big JaWOOD
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Arcade Stick Art/Templates: Currently NOT TAKING Requests! (Working for free.)
    How is Yang supposed to use his meter effectively?

I assume 2x slash FADC for resets or keeping the pressure going if they block the slashes. Or Ex slash to punish things like sweep for some match ups? Also if I have full meter should I use super or is everyone doing an RFC combo nowadays?
    GT- Cows say meeeow

That's a really hard question with no clear cut answer. Just never ever use his super except maybe for a style kill if you feel like it.
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    How is Yang supposed to use his meter effectively?

I assume 2x slash FADC for resets or keeping the pressure going if they block the slashes. Or Ex slash to punish things like sweep for some match ups? Also if I have full meter should I use super or is everyone doing an RFC combo nowadays?

I think meter expenditure depends on your strategy. Shameless self promotion but I recently wrote up a small 3 part series about creating strategy, with some discussion on how your resources come into play. I really implore you to check it out.

http://eastml.wordpress.com/2014/06/08/fighting-game-strategy-part-1-the-good-the-bad-and-the-scrubby/
    Gotcha on the meter management topic otori. That's a pretty broad topic in general now that I think about it

And thanks East! I'm gonna give that a read today.
    GT- Cows say meeeow

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Does not like SJWs or the alt right Joined: Posts: 6,001
    Is there a place where I can learn Yang's dive kick setups/uses?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    otori wrote: »
    That's a really hard question with no clear cut answer. Just never ever use his super except maybe for a style kill if you feel like it.

I fucking love using Yang's super; I don't care how useless it is! He's the Zero of SF4.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• Ghost ic0nGhost ic0n Real Life too Stronk Joined: Posts: 265
    Also if I have full meter should I use super or is everyone doing an RFC combo nowadays?

Although I'm still on v2012 (Steam player here), I sometimes activate Yang's super when I have the opponent in the corner, and they are near death or I need an extremely clutch comeback. Once activated, I mix things up with low block strings into overhead. Main priority is to land overhead and combo into Ultra straight from there. Works almost every time. This really gets in the opponents head and thus, tips the all-important mindgames scale in my favor.

I don't know what I'll be doing with RFC. I would spend the 2 bars on Mantis xx FADC ASAP once I build them and the opportunity is presented. However, a full bar can lead into something like EX Mantis > reset > RFC combo. Will experiment once Steam recieves Ultra in about a week or so.
    GGXRD : I-no | BBCP : Bullet | KOF XIII : King\K'\Shen | SFV : Cammy | USF4 : Yang/Cammy | SFxT v2013 : Cammy X Steve
    TTT2 : Nina\Steve Fox | Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle : Jonathan Joestar | Injustice Gods Among Us : Cat Woman
    Steam ID: Big JaWOOD
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Arcade Stick Art/Templates: Currently NOT TAKING Requests! (Working for free.)